Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Savage Worlds character sheet suggestions

Maetco said: Josiah B. said: ...I could add a deadlands setting rule area with grit and guts? I got the impression that you were about to create the Deadlands rule area with Grit and Guts but I haven't seen any updates on the Sheet. I'm not complaining or anything. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the reasons (lack of time, holiday, lack of interest, forgetting...). Just put in the pull request. Should update whenever the next pull is.
cursingbulldog said: By toggable I mean similar to how you have the two settings rules sections, tick the box and it expands to show the full area, untick it and it shrinks down to just a heading. And I would think having something like a slimed down version of the WC section, just attributes, maybe fighting, maybe the derived stats and maybe a small notes field, any other needed skills could be added manually. I think they wanted the money seperate just so it was easier to see and not get lost with all the other gear. Alot faster to decide if you can afford to bribe a guy if there is a dedicated spot to look at. Money is added in the latest update.
Thanks!
Someone needs to CSS and HTML and add the Hellfrost Character Sheet
Hey Josiah, if you're the guy who made it originally , then thank you! I used it as a base for cortex character sheet and its been very helpful.
Jake M. said: Hey Josiah, if you're the guy who made it originally , then thank you! I used it as a base for cortex character sheet and its been very helpful. Well. I used the example one as a base. But I think I added enough content to call it my own. (or at least a derivative work.) thanks!
Tim W. said: Someone needs to CSS and HTML and add the Hellfrost Character Sheet If there is a consensus on standards with what fields need to exist, I don't see any issue with having a base sheet and multiple CSS sheets. That was my original idea, but at the moment multiple CSS sheets are not supported.
Josiah - First and foremost thank you for all your hard work. I've been playing in some games that use custom sheets designed by the GM and took the time to look over your sheet this weekend for the first time and it is very helpful. With that said just a couple things that stood out in my pass over the sheet this weekend: 1) I can't reference the toughness nor parry attributes from a macro. My damage macro typically has something like -- @{Target|Toughness}[Toughness]. 2) Charisma currently is not being added to persuasion rolls as a modifier. 3) Would it be possible to add a weapon table at the bottom that has the player input the damage dice, rate of fire, AP on the sheet and then rolls a damage check for that weapon the way currently skills and abilities are handled by the sheet? One of the biggest slow downs I see during these rolls is the player looking up the reference for how many dice, ap, etc a weapon has adding to how long it takes for the roll to be made. It is a small thing but over the course of a session it adds up to a substantial amount of time waiting for people to fill in all the popups. 4) Would it be possible to add a Mod box for each skill and nest it to the requisite checks? This way for players who have edges or powers that affect a particular check on every roll they can simply put that value into the sheet rather than having to apply it after the roll is generated? Last but not least I'd love to see an ETU sheet added to the list of sheets to be made once multiple CSS sheets are supported. ETU is likely to be the setting I'll spend the most time in for the foreseeable future. Again, thank you so much for the work you are doing!

Edited 1405362429
Josiah B.
Sheet Author
David S. said: Josiah - First and foremost thank you for all your hard work. I've been playing in some games that use custom sheets designed by the GM and took the time to look over your sheet this weekend for the first time and it is very helpful. With that said just a couple things that stood out in my pass over the sheet this weekend: 1) I can't reference the toughness nor parry attributes from a macro. My damage macro typically has something like -- @{Target|Toughness}[Toughness]. 2) Charisma currently is not being added to persuasion rolls as a modifier. 3) Would it be possible to add a weapon table at the bottom that has the player input the damage dice, rate of fire, AP on the sheet and then rolls a damage check for that weapon the way currently skills and abilities are handled by the sheet? One of the biggest slow downs I see during these rolls is the player looking up the reference for how many dice, ap, etc a weapon has adding to how long it takes for the roll to be made. It is a small thing but over the course of a session it adds up to a substantial amount of time waiting for people to fill in all the popups. 4) Would it be possible to add a Mod box for each skill and nest it to the requisite checks? This way for players who have edges or powers that affect a particular check on every roll they can simply put that value into the sheet rather than having to apply it after the roll is generated? Last but not least I'd love to see an ETU sheet added to the list of sheets to be made once multiple CSS sheets are supported. ETU is likely to be the setting I'll spend the most time in for the foreseeable future. Again, thank you so much for the work you are doing! 1. I think I can fix that, it's because it's a calculated field. We will lose a little automation if I make it a full attribute. So, (as far as I know) I can't have the automation of calculating the attributes and still having it be an actual referable field. 2. This is an easy fix. 3. I'll Look into this. 4. Shouldn't be too hard, just need to make sure there is enough room.
You might want to make sure whether it's possible to refer to calculated fields by asking some of the more experienced dudes and gals. I have this faint feeling that I have read somewhere that it should be possible if you know it's name but the name doesn't work like normal attribute.
Maetco said: You might want to make sure whether it's possible to refer to calculated fields by asking some of the more experienced dudes and gals. I have this faint feeling that I have read somewhere that it should be possible if you know it's name but the name doesn't work like normal attribute. You most definitely can reference values from the sheet, but it doesn't translate the input of the field right and therefore can't be used in any calculation in the macro. Example: macro: /roll 1d4 - @{Selected|toughness} @{Selected|Toughness} output: rolling 1d4 - floor(((4!)/2)+2+0+0) ( 2) = 2 floor(((4!)/2)+2+0+0)
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
David, simply put the autocalc attribute in an inline roll: /roll 1d4 - @{selected|toughness} [[@{selected|toughness}]]

Edited 1405370729
If you do /roll 1d4 - [[@{Selected|toughness}]] the output will look much cleaner is it will just inline the calculated field value rather than showing the formula. EDIT: Brian beat me by 13 seconds.
Copying the syntax you provided actually simply results in a different error string that doesn't even process the roll at all. SyntaxError: Expected ")", ".", "[", "d", "e", "t", [ |\t], [+|\-|*|\/|%] or [0-9] but "!" found.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
"4!" is invalid syntax for the dice roller. What's that coming from?
Brian said: "4!" is invalid syntax for the dice roller. What's that coming from? The record sheet holds attributes for dice types in savage worlds. The default macro looking like 1d{dice type}. The 4! that is being displayed is being pulled by the record sheet from the vigor dice type field, divided by 2, and then added to the base of 2 for toughness in savage worlds as well as two other attributes (the zeros you see in the string). It displays perfectly fine on the record sheet but as a return from a macro it returns floor(((4!)/2)+2+0+0) because that is what is actually stored as the attribute. The syntax provided by those above returns the error I noted above because once you stop treating these as coming in a die notation the "!" becomes invalid, but as it is being pulled from the vigor attribute by the record sheet it causes the problem that to fix it means less automation as Josiah said. I will likely take a look at the actual code but I'm WAY out of practice with code work, and Josiah is already very familiar with this record sheet since it's his baby.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So normally, you'd use say /r 1d@{vigor-dice-type} as your roll, or thereabouts? But toughness should be vigor/2+2? It sounds like the exclamation need to be removed from the vigor-dice-type value, to be added in the actual roll, ie /r 1d@{vigor-dice-type}!
That might fix it in a single go or it could screw up everything else based on that attribute currently. Hence why I was commenting on it to Josiah. My code work is about 10 years out of date, so I honestly haven't looked at the rest of the stuff that is built in to the record sheet closely, especially since it is someone else's work and I wouldn't want to cause any issues. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say Josiah will have some thoughts on how to fix it soon enough.
In the sheet I store the values with the ! on the end due to the d12+X variables. my base macro is this: [[{1d@{agility}, 1d6!}kh1 + ?{Modifier IE: -2 or 2|0}[Modifier] - @{wound}[Wounds] - @{fatigue}[Fatigue]]] as you can see {1d@{agility}, 1d6!}kh1 would function like this: {1d@{agility}!, 1d6!}kh1 but not with 12+X as the macro would read 1d12+1! which doesn't work. perhaps if I divorce the mod from the dropdown and just have a Die dropdown with a mod box, but then I would need two boxes, (unless I misunderstand how modifiers over 12 work. one for the 12+X mod, and another one for regular mods. right? {1d@{agility}+@{agiMod}!, 1d6!}kh1 + @{agiGeneralMod} I am open to a better method if anyone wants to help out.
I honestly am not sure there is a good way to handle it other than two separate boxes for modifiers or simply having those of us who want to reference toughness in a macro have an additional attribute field for the value. Wait, with your current syntax when that fires and you score an explosion it still isn't adding the +X to the explosions. Instead it is handling it as a modifier to the total of all successes before adding in a modifier. Honestly I'm not sure if there is a syntax that will roll, add a modifier to each explosion, then add a secondary modifier to the total, I think in essence you are trying to make it do something that roll20 currently can not achieve with our current dice roller via macros. In essence what this means is the +X you are using would be just as useful to the player in the same mod box as any other permanent modifier. With that said I'm sure the API could handle it by simply counting explosions and adding the +X*varExplosions as a modifier. Or I could be wrong, just thinking out loud..
David S. said: I honestly am not sure there is a good way to handle it other than two separate boxes for modifiers or simply having those of us who want to reference toughness in a macro have an additional attribute field for the value. Wait, with your current syntax when that fires and you score an explosion it still isn't adding the +X to the explosions. Instead it is handling it as a modifier to the total of all successes before adding in a modifier. Honestly I'm not sure if there is a syntax that will roll, add a modifier to each explosion, then add a secondary modifier to the total, I think in essence you are trying to make it do something that roll20 currently can not achieve with our current dice roller via macros. In essence what this means is the +X you are using would be just as useful to the player in the same mod box as any other permanent modifier. With that said I'm sure the API could handle it by simply counting explosions and adding the +X*varExplosions as a modifier. Or I could be wrong, just thinking out loud.. Are you sure it adds to each explosion? That each exploded die is d12+2? So an explosion would be (12+2)+(12+2)+(3+2)?

Edited 1405606810
Based on responses from the Savage Worlds Google+ community it looks like the d12+X is nothing more than a permanent modifier. You could add a single modifier box with manual entry and those with stats in the d12+x range can simply input the modifier along with any other modifier from semi-permanent effects.

Edited 1405611287
Josiah B.
Sheet Author
David S. said: Based on responses from the Savage Worlds Google+ community it looks like the d12+X is nothing more than a permanent modifier. You could add a single modifier box with manual entry and those with stats in the d12+x range can simply input the modifier along with any other modifier from semi-permanent effects. well there is a difference between d12+2 fighting and a d12 fighting with +2 to the roll. the former has a 9 parry while the latter only has a 8. So I would need two fields, a permenant mod and a mod field. so the macro could be: {1d@{agility}!, 1d6!}kh1 + @{permMod} + @{genMod} though that brings up another thought. some edges such as master allow you to change the wild die of a trait. I could include a wild die field for all traits. Or do you think that is going too far?
If you want to include the Master edge I would suggest a check box similar to what you did for untrained and the following formula for the wild die: [(1d6*(1-[Master])), (1d10*[Master])]kh1 Syntax is not roll20 syntax as I'm not awake enough to format it atm, but I'm sure you get the idea. The d6 roll is 0'd if the Master variable is 1 while the d10 roll is 0'd by a 0 value for Master. Simple boolean resolution.
David S. said: If you want to include the Master edge I would suggest a check box similar to what you did for untrained and the following formula for the wild die: [(1d6*(1-[Master])), (1d10*[Master])]kh1 Syntax is not roll20 syntax as I'm not awake enough to format it atm, but I'm sure you get the idea. The d6 roll is 0'd if the Master variable is 1 while the d10 roll is 0'd by a 0 value for Master. Simple boolean resolution. sounds good. so what about the two modifier issue? really it only matters with vigor for toughness and fighting for parry. and any other setting derived stats.
Hmm, what about adding if we are only looking at the ones we have talked about so far, Toughness and Parry, I'd say add another check box to the bottom of the sheet like the Settings Rules. In that section put in either 4 Check boxes or for more efficiency two text boxes where the player can input the values and just default the formula to input a 0 for those values. That then removes the need for "!" in any variable notation. Had you looked at the weapon entry Table?
I think this sheet has a BETTER design than the sheet we currently have
Tim, while that is a good looking sheet, I'll be honest in saying I could care less what the sheet looks like, it's how useful it is for running the game on roll20 that matters to me. Ease of use for macros, attributes, etc are FAR more important than what it looks like. If all I cared about was the look I'd just use a text document on the first tab of the character sheet in the journal.
David S. said: Hmm, what about adding if we are only looking at the ones we have talked about so far, Toughness and Parry, I'd say add another check box to the bottom of the sheet like the Settings Rules. In that section put in either 4 Check boxes or for more efficiency two text boxes where the player can input the values and just default the formula to input a 0 for those values. That then removes the need for "!" in any variable notation. Had you looked at the weapon entry Table? Sorry I've been away for a bit. What do you mean by weapon table? do you mean a repeating fieldset? That should be easy enough.
So I am compiling changes for my next update frenzy. Redo trait storage to take out the !, for more macro friendly stats. Add a weapon repeating fieldset. For Parry and Toughness Calculations I need an additional Mod for at least Vigor and Fighting. (Optionally a permanent mod on all traits?) Add in calculations for master wild Die changes? For macros, is the fact that toughness and parry are calculated fields. Do they work? Is there anything else I am missing?
I'm sure something comes into mind later but right now I'm of no help.
I would really like the ability to make sheets for monsters and extras. It would allow me to create macros for things like test of wills. I think you just need the ability to toggle the wild die. When I say 'just' I mean the huge amount of work to change the macros so they include something like the upcoming 'master' or @{WildDie}d6!!.
Wow, huge functionality improvement for that! I'd suggest a simple checkbox at the top of the sheet for "Wild Card" and then just like the untrained modifier have the wild die multiply by 0 or 1. I honestly think the edges that change what the wild die type is should be handled outside the sheet in user defined macros since they are very limited in scope.

Edited 1407769403
Josiah B.
Sheet Author
As David suggests, I can include a wildcard checkbox that can be used in macro logic for whether to include it or not. But the bigger issue of master is harder to tackle, with master only effecting at minimum 1 trait, and possibly more. It would mean I'd have to have a wild die attribute for every single trait.
David S. said: Wow, huge functionality improvement for that! I'd suggest a simple checkbox at the top of the sheet for "Wild Card" and then just like the untrained modifier have the wild die multiply by 0 or 1. I honestly think the edges that change what the wild die type is should be handled outside the sheet in user defined macros since they are very limited in scope. I could include a quick macro called Master WC Trait.
I have made the following changes to the Character Sheet: Removed the d12+x trait values (for macro purposes) Added Mods for all traits. (derived traits for d12+x will need to be manually handled using the mod field for said derived traits) Added Is wildcard checkbox Added logic for all trait rolls to read if the character is a wildcard and roll 0d6 for non wildcards. Resized Money Field Added Weapon area Added ETU Academics and Major fields Everything is up on git <a href="https://github.com/herrozerro/roll20-character-sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/herrozerro/roll20-character-sheets/</a> I will hold off on the pull request for at least a week. If people could try out the sheet and give any feedback, I will then put in the pull request this sunday night.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Josiah B. when you say you removed the d12+x "for macro purposes", what do you mean? I hope you don't mind, but I actually took what you did and made my own sheet out of it, using your CSS file and modifying as needed. My sheet looks quite a bit different (I can post images if you like for other ideas)...I use tabs rather than one long sheet with various hidden options. Thanks for putting your sheet together, it's awesome that there are enough Savage Worlds gamers on here that your sheet has this many comments.
I'd love to see your sheet GV. As to the change to the d12+x, intially in Josiah's recordsheet you had d12+1 through 4 as drop down options for all modifiers along with d4-d12. That caused the return on Toughness and Parry when called by macros to be 4! or 12!+2 as it couldn't pass the d12+2 on for derived purposes without the ! between the die type and the modifier. This meant that if you were doing a macro like damage-toughness it would blow up when it got to a toughness equation that didn't work. Worked fine for display on the sheet but blew up in macros. Now you put the +x part of d12+x into a permanent modifier field.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Thanks, David S. I never use Toughness in any of my formulas, so I never ran into that problem. So, on my sheet I still use the d12+1-4 in the drop down. I had originally had them removed, similar to Josiah's newest version of the sheet, but the single drop down took up less space, so I went back to it. Here's what my sheet looks like... Basic Info/Core Sheet One difference on this, you'll notice the Wild Die box. I added this, because there are Edges that allow you to have a d8 Wild Die. I had originally thought of making that a drop down with just a d6 and d8 option, but then got to thinking I'd leave it as a numbered option, because we are playing on a new platform, so why constrain myself...perhaps I'll want a less powerful Wild Card, so I could have a Wild Card with a d4 Wild Die, or perhaps a slightly more powerful on with a d5 Wild Die. I may go back and change it later, but for now...that's the way I'm handling the Wild Cards. To work for Mooks, I'd have to change the formulas, but I saw a sheet for D&D 5e that has a checkbox to change the entire sheet to an NPC sheet, so I'm considering doing something similar, because I don't need all this information for a Mook and that would allow me to have non-Wild Card rolls with different formulae. Here are the other tabs: Edges & Hindrances: A note on this one..."Took at..." is where I keep track of how the character got the Edge. Took at Creation, Took at 5xp, GM Gift, that sort of thing. This particular character is old, before I started doing that sort of tracking... The main problem with the Skills in this format is that I haven't found a way to easily create Token actions. You can still do the trick Josiah mentioned of using the Inspect tool and then redoing the formula, but that could be a lot of work. The Ranged Weapon section isn't visible on this, but it's constructed much the same as Melee Weapons, only doesn't add Strength. You'll note the Raise column...our group uses a modified version of Raises...the first raise adds d6 to the damage, but each subsequent raise increases the die type a step, up to a max of d12. This drop down includes a d4 option, incase I ever decide to do something different... Spells are constructed similar to weapons, only split out between Damaging-causing and non-damaging spells. I did it this way, because I didn't want to have a macro button for spells that don't need one. The Spell damage here is constructed like Ranged Weapons damage, so you can get a feel for what it looks like. I realize you could use the Info&Notes tab of the Roll20 character sheet for this type of thing, but I figured, "Why?" This would allow me to keep a quest log with important information relevant that quest and not get it muddied with other quests which may be going on simultaneously. I've just finished this so haven't had done a lot of extensive testing on it yet, but if anyone wants the code, just let me know - I'm happy to share it.
I would definitely urge you to share the code on Git so that it can be an official sheet. It's a nice sheet for those who don't mind the player accessing the sheet for most of their rolls. I like Josiah's because a player can be in and out of it quick for reference and I can reference the values in macros easily, but the sheet you have is definitely nice.
Ok, for those using either of these sheets, to reference a value in the repeating field use the following code: @{repeating_setnam_id_fieldname} - Default code @{Selected|repeating_weapons_0_weapName} - This is code for referencing the weapon name field of the first weapon on Josiah's sheet. @{Selected|repeating_skills_0_dtype} - This is code for referencing the die type of a skill added to the repeating skill field on Josiah's sheet. The id starts at 0 for the first one and counts up so that the first entry is 0, second is 1, third is 2, etc. Hope that helps the macro users. Would also allow a sheet such as G.V.'s to be used with the Savage Daddy style of macros.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
David - thanks for the info! That'll help. To make sure I understand the format you mention, to use the Dagger, it would be: @{Selected|repeating_weapons_0_Dagger} Did I get that right? Also, could you do this to reference the roll button itself? I was planning on sharing my sheet on github after I've had a chance to mess around with them a bit, to work out any problems. I found a problem yesterday as I was doing more testing. Thanks for the encouragement.

Edited 1407850070
Depending on the fields you used GV you would do something like this: /em lashes out with his trusty @{Selected|repeating_weapons_0_weapName} hitting for [[@{Selected|repeating_weapons_0_weapDamage}]] damage! The @{Selected|repeating_weapons_0_weapName} has AP @{Selected|repeating_weapons_0_weapAP}. That would output something like: GV lashes out with his trusty Dagger hitting for 6 damage! The Dagger has AP 1.
GV, that looks awesome, I like the overall layout of your better. perhaps we can combine forces and put together one super sheet.

Edited 1407899388
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Josiah - Glad you like it. I'm happy to help, just let me know what you want/need me to do. I've actually made a couple of modifications since I posted those pics. It now includes a tab for All, which reveals all areas in one long scrollable sheet, and I've added hidden fields to the key attributes that mirrors the formula found in the button for each attribute. That way you can create a macro referencing that hidden field only and it rolls the same formula as the button. Haven't been able to figure out how to get it to do that for the Skills section (except for Unskilled and Fighting which are static). But I've been trying to do a hidden section to show the formula a text area. For some reason I can't seem to get the checkbox to work to hide/unhide the section with the formula, so it's always visible. :( Anyway, PM me with you would like me to do and I'll let you know if I have the skills. --edit below-- Ok - I got the Hid/Unhide the Macro Formula figured out. Here's the latest snapshot of the skills section. I'll be doing the same thing for the other areas (weapons, spells, etc):
I love the idea of you guys working together but PLEASE by all that is holy let me get a copy that doesn't store the d12!+x format so I can continue to use macros for derived toughness.. OR include a toughness base field for a non-derived toughness that can be called. Either works fine! Once you have a combined version of the sheet I will rewrite my macro set and put them all up along with it.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
David, My sheet already has a Base Toughness. Here's a more recent screenshot that shows how all the fields work together (the one above had a broken formula in it): But I can also be persuaded in other directions. :) I've actually been considering ways to improve Toughness so that we have Base, Mod, Armor Head, Armor Torso, Armor Legs, Armor Arms, Armor Full Body, and then you could would know which Toughness is needed based on called shots, etc. I haven't landed on an elegant way to do that yet. Not visible in this sheet, I've also included a hidden field for the static rolls. That way you could create a macro that that consists of only @{rollAgility}, @{rollSmarts}, @{rollSpirit}, @{rollStrength}, @{rollVigor}, @{rollUnskilled}, and @{rollFighting}.
Well if we are moving to your sheet I think it would need to have the Modifier added for each attribute. To handle things like edges, powers, etc that have a semi-permanent to permanent effect on traits. Example: Extra Curricular Activities in ETU that grant a flat bonus or minus to traits for the duration of an entire advance. The repeatable field for skills is nice for some and can certainly be referenced by the macros. That might be the best way to handle "optional armor" on your equipment tab. I will say that I'm usually a fan of less is more so that a recordsheet can fit on a 3x5 card but aesthetics be damned in the name of functionality at this point.. lol
Do you have your sheet somewhere accessable? github? google drive? dropbox?