Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

CombatMaster 2.0

Is there a way to prompt for a token when you apply a condition?  Like in below, can I prompt the user to select a token to apply this condition to? !cmaster --add,condition=frightened,duration=?{Duration|1},direction=?{Direction|-1}

Edited 1622914381
You could change the duration query to ?{Select token then enter duration|1}
Terry R. said: I cant manage to get any kind of command for set up to work. as well as generating an error i can copy if needed What commands are you trying?
Persephone said: You could change the duration query to ?{Select token then enter duration|1} Ok that would work, but what I really want to do is something like this so that I or my players can apply condition more easily (this is part of a larger idea I am working on) !cmaster --ids @{target_token_id}--add,condition=frightened,duration=?{Duration|1},direction=?{Direction|-1} Basically what I am trying to do is capture the post from DNDBeyond (using the Beyond20 extension and a custom) to capture what condition a player sets on their character sheet and then apply that condition to the token for that character, but no token is selected when that message comes through.  I could use TokenMod to set the icon, but then I loss the tracking of CM. Basically I have found that combat runs WAY to slowly for me and a lot of it has to do with the tools (not that the tools are bad, but they are slowing down my games) and I am trying to find a way to automate more of the book keeping.
Is there a cheatsheet of all the !cmaster calls that I can reference? 
Mickael N.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have a problem with combat master since the last partie. I don't have the timer, the circle red and green even if the script run and I can pass token turn with the arrow button. Anyone have got this issue ? Thx in advance ^^!
Chris W. said: Is there a cheatsheet of all the !cmaster calls that I can reference?  There isn't (there's a whole lot of different commands) but if you click on a button from the CM menu you can press the up arrow key while you have the chat box selected to get the command.
Mickael N. said: I have a problem with combat master since the last partie. I don't have the timer, the circle red and green even if the script run and I can pass token turn with the arrow button. Anyone have got this issue ? Thx in advance ^^! That sounds like you don't have the Player Ribbon on the map that you're trying to run combat on, which is necessary for CombatMaster. Can you check to see if that's the case?
Yeah that's what I ended up doing to write my macros. A full list would still be a handy resource because there are probably a dozen functionalities that I didn't even realize cmaster will do. Persephone said: Chris W. said: Is there a cheatsheet of all the !cmaster calls that I can reference?  There isn't (there's a whole lot of different commands) but if you click on a button from the CM menu you can press the up arrow key while you have the chat box selected to get the command.
Darryn said: Persephone said: You could change the duration query to ?{Select token then enter duration|1} Ok that would work, but what I really want to do is something like this so that I or my players can apply condition more easily (this is part of a larger idea I am working on) !cmaster --ids @{target_token_id}--add,condition=frightened,duration=?{Duration|1},direction=?{Direction|-1} Basically what I am trying to do is capture the post from DNDBeyond (using the Beyond20 extension and a custom) to capture what condition a player sets on their character sheet and then apply that condition to the token for that character, but no token is selected when that message comes through.  I could use TokenMod to set the icon, but then I loss the tracking of CM. Basically I have found that combat runs WAY to slowly for me and a lot of it has to do with the tools (not that the tools are bad, but they are slowing down my games) and I am trying to find a way to automate more of the book keeping. Unfortunately, I don't think CM has a parameter for specifying token ID, except in the case of removing a condition it usually adds ,id=<token ID> to the end of that command. I haven't gotten it to work with other commands, though.
Chris W. said: Yeah that's what I ended up doing to write my macros. A full list would still be a handy resource because there are probably a dozen functionalities that I didn't even realize cmaster will do. I agree. I have a handful of custom macros I've written over the last couple years, hopefully one of these days I can find time to compile and share them.
Mickael N.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Arf... You alright ! My mistake.... ok It's fine it's work now ! It was the player ribbon I had forgot to move, because it was a combat test on a blank battle map :P Thx again ;) Persephone said: Mickael N. said: I have a problem with combat master since the last partie. I don't have the timer, the circle red and green even if the script run and I can pass token turn with the arrow button. Anyone have got this issue ? Thx in advance ^^! That sounds like you don't have the Player Ribbon on the map that you're trying to run combat on, which is necessary for CombatMaster. Can you check to see if that's the case?
Mickael N. said: Arf... You alright ! My mistake.... ok It's fine it's work now ! It was the player ribbon I had forgot to move, because it was a combat test on a blank battle map :P Thx again ;) Persephone said: Mickael N. said: I have a problem with combat master since the last partie. I don't have the timer, the circle red and green even if the script run and I can pass token turn with the arrow button. Anyone have got this issue ? Thx in advance ^^! That sounds like you don't have the Player Ribbon on the map that you're trying to run combat on, which is necessary for CombatMaster. Can you check to see if that's the case? We should really have a Wall of Honor at the top of this thread listing every user who has made the infamous Player Ribbon mistake. :) It's a near-universal occurrence for first-time CM users, myself included!
First time?!?!  I catch myself doing that all the time LOL Jay R. said: Mickael N. said: Arf... You alright ! My mistake.... ok It's fine it's work now ! It was the player ribbon I had forgot to move, because it was a combat test on a blank battle map :P Thx again ;) Persephone said: Mickael N. said: I have a problem with combat master since the last partie. I don't have the timer, the circle red and green even if the script run and I can pass token turn with the arrow button. Anyone have got this issue ? Thx in advance ^^! That sounds like you don't have the Player Ribbon on the map that you're trying to run combat on, which is necessary for CombatMaster. Can you check to see if that's the case? We should really have a Wall of Honor at the top of this thread listing every user who has made the infamous Player Ribbon mistake. :) It's a near-universal occurrence for first-time CM users, myself included!
So the more I get to know CM the more I am really enjoying it.  But that has led me to a question.  Can you use a custom status icon set with CM?  My DM has a really great one he uses, but I noticed the list of icon hard coded in the CM code, so wanted to ask if there was a way (short of editing the code myself).
Darryn said: So the more I get to know CM the more I am really enjoying it.  But that has led me to a question.  Can you use a custom status icon set with CM?  My DM has a really great one he uses, but I noticed the list of icon hard coded in the CM code, so wanted to ask if there was a way (short of editing the code myself). Yep, it's no problem. If you've got that custom set running in your game, select Token Marker instead of Combat Master for a given condition, and select from your list.

Edited 1623439617
Jay R. said: Darryn said: So the more I get to know CM the more I am really enjoying it.  But that has led me to a question.  Can you use a custom status icon set with CM?  My DM has a really great one he uses, but I noticed the list of icon hard coded in the CM code, so wanted to ask if there was a way (short of editing the code myself). Yep, it's no problem. If you've got that custom set running in your game, select Token Marker instead of Combat Master for a given condition, and select from your list. What Jay said, but you'll need the script libTokenMarker installed in order to do this. You may need to exit your game and wait for your API to auto-shutdown after installing it, to make sure it properly registers all your custom markers.
Persephone said: Jay R. said: Darryn said: So the more I get to know CM the more I am really enjoying it.  But that has led me to a question.  Can you use a custom status icon set with CM?  My DM has a really great one he uses, but I noticed the list of icon hard coded in the CM code, so wanted to ask if there was a way (short of editing the code myself). Yep, it's no problem. If you've got that custom set running in your game, select Token Marker instead of Combat Master for a given condition, and select from your list. What Jay said, but you'll need the script libTokenMarker installed in order to do this. You may need to exit your game and wait for your API to auto-shutdown after installing it, to make sure it properly registers all your custom markers. Whoops, completely forgot about that dependency! Thanks for the clarification, Persephone. :)
Dumb question: Would someone be kind enough to explain how to begin using this API? It appears the script created 16 "archived" handouts in my journal. But I cannot read them (or delete them), and clicking "restore" doesn't seem to do anything. Typing "!cmaster --main" or "!cmaster --help" does nothing either. I read through the first two pages of this thread as well as the first two pages of the Alpha thread, but I still can't figure out how to get this script to do anything. Is there a wiki I'm supposed to be reading?
!cmaster --main should bring up the menu in chat. then the circle with the I in chat on the top right will bring up a link to the help for that section of the menu. I don't think you have to have to be on the page with the player ribbon to bring up the menu but you might.
Thank you for responding, Kilter. I appreciate that. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the help from the Compendium tab when I type "!cmaster --main". Are the 16 achieved handouts in the Journal tab supposed to be there?
Yes that is the help handouts.
So the fact that I cannot open them or restore them is probably the problem?
Jason D. said: Thank you for responding, Kilter. I appreciate that. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the help from the Compendium tab when I type "!cmaster --main". Are the 16 achieved handouts in the Journal tab supposed to be there? To be clear: you need to run !cmaster --main, then click any of the Info (I) buttons on any CM page to bring up the help. The help handouts, I think, are meant to be archived on purpose. You only call them through the Info buttons.
I've been using CM for months, and for the life of me, Concentration *never* prompts for a roll. These are my settings. As best I can tell, these have worked for everyone else in this forum. I've tried having the Concentration status as a condition instead of a spell. I've tried with the Concentration status requiring Concentration and not. I've tried setting the Attribute under the Concentration settings to "hp" and to nothing, as well as constitution_save_bonus. How is this supposed work?!
Nevermind! I had to cheat, which is really frustrating. Somewhere way further up, I noticed that it was recommended to manually set the character sheet to "OGL." But that option does not appear anywhere that I can find. However, when you view the help file for the Concentration settings, it lists "Sheet" as one of the settable properties (despite there being no button for it). Going through the chat log, I determined that using this command line (manually) !cmaster --config,concentration,key=sheet,value=OGL Ought to do the trick, and lo and behold! It does. That seems like a significant oversight to me, inasmuch as it was not easy to figure out through the UI. Just my $.02 anyway. Colin C. said: I've been using CM for months, and for the life of me, Concentration *never* prompts for a roll. These are my settings. As best I can tell, these have worked for everyone else in this forum. I've tried having the Concentration status as a condition instead of a spell. I've tried with the Concentration status requiring Concentration and not. I've tried setting the Attribute under the Concentration settings to "hp" and to nothing, as well as constitution_save_bonus. How is this supposed work?!
I see in the code that there appears to be a plan for auto-rolling saves: is that still coming out? Colin C. said: Nevermind! I had to cheat, which is really frustrating. Somewhere way further up, I noticed that it was recommended to manually set the character sheet to "OGL." But that option does not appear anywhere that I can find. However, when you view the help file for the Concentration settings, it lists "Sheet" as one of the settable properties (despite there being no button for it). Going through the chat log, I determined that using this command line (manually) !cmaster --config,concentration,key=sheet,value=OGL Ought to do the trick, and lo and behold! It does. That seems like a significant oversight to me, inasmuch as it was not easy to figure out through the UI. Just my $.02 anyway.
Colin C. said: I see in the code that there appears to be a plan for auto-rolling saves: is that still coming out? Colin C. said: Nevermind! I had to cheat, which is really frustrating. Somewhere way further up, I noticed that it was recommended to manually set the character sheet to "OGL." But that option does not appear anywhere that I can find. However, when you view the help file for the Concentration settings, it lists "Sheet" as one of the settable properties (despite there being no button for it). Going through the chat log, I determined that using this command line (manually) !cmaster --config,concentration,key=sheet,value=OGL Ought to do the trick, and lo and behold! It does. That seems like a significant oversight to me, inasmuch as it was not easy to figure out through the UI. Just my $.02 anyway. Unlikely, since Victor no longer has time to work on the script and it's not clear if anyone is willing and able to take over support and maintenance of Combat Master. 
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Colin go to the wound bar in the concentration menu and reset it to bar 1 or bar 2 depending on which bar is maintaining hit points.  There may be an issue with the default setup.  Even thought it shows bar1, I suspect it's actually Bar1 (case sensitive) which won't work.  Concentration notifies me when someone needs to roll.  Of course, the target token needs to have a concentration condition on them.  
Ok, so I installed this because combats in my game have really slowed down a lot as the characters went up in levels and had many options, and facing many foes. I wanted it mainly for the turn timer but thought some of the other features might be useful too. So, after installing it, and checking a few of the help pages, the only setting I changed was for the players to roll their own initiative. I added a couple of characters (including NPCs) to the turn order and sorted it since the instructions say that if players want to roll their own initiative, the turn order has to be set before starting combat.  CombatMaster crashed. I don't know why and I didn't capture the crash log because I wanted to go through the same process again, step by step, to see exactly what I did that caused it to crash. So, I restarted the API. I selected the same characters and rolled their initiative. So far, so good. I then sorted the list using Roll20's menu. The following popped up in chat immediately without my doing anything: After that, combatmaster was just dead. There was no response to things like "!cmaster --main" and no crash reported. It just wouldn't respond. And it wasn't counting down the turn timer either. In this state, it seems unusable (at least by me).  Anyone know what is going on? Or does everyone use it to roll the initiative and my setting it so players can roll their own breaks it?
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There has to be an established turn order prior to CM starting combat.  Your api server crashed for whatever reason.  I just manually rolled initiative and then started up combat and it worked fine.  You've got something off in either your initiative config or your starting combat too early.  Make sure everyone has roll their initiative and sort the turn order prior to starting combat.  

Edited 1626887392
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Once the api server crashed, timer countdown will stop.  Timer is working fine.  Just turn it on and set the time you want to give everyone.  
As I said in my original post, after I restarted the API sandbox, I added players to the turn order tracker, sorted the tracker and started combat. Nothing happened other than the one entry in the chat log for the first player's turn. CM just stopped. Funny thing about this: a couple of days later, I went into the game to do some set-up and... CM just started on its own. It started counting down the time for that first player's turn, and when it reached the end of the time limit, it went on to the next character's turn.  I opened up the main CM menu with "!cmaster --main" and... it believed that combat was OFF. There didn't seem to be any way to stop whatever was happening and all of the menus in CM believed that there was no combat running. I eventually turned if all of by deleting all of the characters from the turn order. Victor B. said: There has to be an established turn order prior to CM starting combat.  Your api server crashed for whatever reason.  I just manually rolled initiative and then started up combat and it worked fine.  You've got something off in either your initiative config or your starting combat too early.  Make sure everyone has roll their initiative and sort the turn order prior to starting combat.  
Additionally, I logged into Roll20 today to do some work on the game. Before starting the game up, I checked the status page. The following was displayed: Your scripts are currently disabled due to an error that was detected. Please make appropriate changes to your script's code and click the "Save Script" button. We will then attempt to start running the scripts again.  More info...  If this script was installed from the Script Library, you might find help in the Community API Forum. For reference, the error message generated was:  TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null at apiscript.js:21879:21 at Array.forEach (<anonymous>) at checkMarkerturn (apiscript.js:21878:19) at getOrCreateMarker (apiscript.js:21863:19) at doTurnorderChange (apiscript.js:22010:27) at nextTurn (apiscript.js:22157:9) at Timeout.<anonymous> (apiscript.js:22278:36) at listOnTimeout (internal/timers.js:549:17) at processTimers (internal/timers.js:492:7)

Edited 1627393678
Tried searching first but maybe I'm not picking the right keywords for this issue. When copying and pasting a token with token markers defined in CM, additional copies of the marker appear on the pasted token and the condition is spammed in chat. After some testing, it doubles the number of pre-pasted token markers and then spams chat with the post-pasted number of token markers. Exhaustion x1 --> Exhaustion x2 (2 chat spams) Exhaustion x2 --> Exhaustion x4 (4 chat spams) Exhaustion x4 --> Exhaustion x8 (8 chat spams) Ran the test with TokenMod disabled. Is there an option in CM to disable to replication of token markers?

Edited 1627413988
@Johnny S. I have noticed that recently, too. I haven't figured out what's causing it exactly, but I've just been dragging new tokens out then applying the markers to them, rather than copying existing tokens. You can also disable the chat message when adding a condition, to prevent chat spam. If you want to do this, set Send Changes to Chat as false.

Edited 1627421522
I've turned off send changes to chat and that solved part of the problem. Now I use TokenMod in a dropdown query to assign token markers with a short description if it's a Condition. Still would like to have the ability to copy and paste tokens (especially to a new map) without CM doubling all the existing token markers. Last night the players had minimal levels of Exhaustion and copying their tokens to the new map gave them a fright as some of them now had 2 or 4 levels of Exhaustion on the new map!
Is there a way to have Combat Master sort the turn order in an ascending manner?
!cmaster --main Click the cog (Setting) Then turn order.
i tried that and all it does is not sort the turn order where i want the order sorted just in ascending rather than the default descending.  
It looks like the coding is set to ascend according to the help files.  I didn't see anything in the code to change it, but I would think there would be away.
k was worth a try
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 put in something that broke that code.  It should be working but isn't.  Just manually sort the turnorder after it's created.  
Hi, I was going to set up some FX when applying a status, but no matter what I put in the FX setting, it's always using a burn FX. The Help is useless on that topic. What format do it put that in? just the FX name?
Another one ... If I use the --clear command it only removes the status markers. Once the turn of the token comes up, the statuses are still listed in the turn announcement. I don't think it's supposed to work this way? Does anyone know how to actually end all statusses on a token at once?

Edited 1628293448
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You need to set the clear statuses on close to true under the Status menu and then stop combat.  That clears statuses and conditions from CM.  The clear token statuses simply removes the icons from the tokens.  That was put in because I was noticing duplicates in the Roll20 campaign object
I have seemingly lost the thread where I originally asked this: I'm having some trouble getting the light macros I am using to set vision for my characters to work with the custom markers/combat master. I have tried pasting the macro for the light in the api for the condition, but I believe that is only for a different script that I do not have installed.  Any help getting this figured out is greatly appreciated. The goal - when a vision type from my light macro is selected, the appropriate status marker appears on the token. In this example night vision.
I haven't seen a response to this message.... Saul J. said: As I said in my original post, after I restarted the API sandbox, I added players to the turn order tracker, sorted the tracker and started combat. Nothing happened other than the one entry in the chat log for the first player's turn. CM just stopped. Funny thing about this: a couple of days later, I went into the game to do some set-up and... CM just started on its own. It started counting down the time for that first player's turn, and when it reached the end of the time limit, it went on to the next character's turn.  I opened up the main CM menu with "!cmaster --main" and... it believed that combat was OFF. There didn't seem to be any way to stop whatever was happening and all of the menus in CM believed that there was no combat running. I eventually turned if all of by deleting all of the characters from the turn order. Victor B. said: There has to be an established turn order prior to CM starting combat.  Your api server crashed for whatever reason.  I just manually rolled initiative and then started up combat and it worked fine.  You've got something off in either your initiative config or your starting combat too early.  Make sure everyone has roll their initiative and sort the turn order prior to starting combat.   Or this one: Additionally, I logged into Roll20 today to do some work on the game. Before starting the game up, I checked the status page. The following was displayed: Your scripts are currently disabled due to an error that was detected. Please make appropriate changes to your script's code and click the "Save Script" button. We will then attempt to start running the scripts again.  More info...  If this script was installed from the Script Library, you might find help in the Community API Forum. For reference, the error message generated was:  TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null at apiscript.js:21879:21 at Array.forEach (<anonymous>) at checkMarkerturn (apiscript.js:21878:19) at getOrCreateMarker (apiscript.js:21863:19) at doTurnorderChange (apiscript.js:22010:27) at nextTurn (apiscript.js:22157:9) at Timeout.<anonymous> (apiscript.js:22278:36) at listOnTimeout (internal/timers.js:549:17) at processTimers (internal/timers.js:492:7) TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null at apiscript.js:21879:21 at Array.forEach (<anonymous>) at checkMarkerturn (apiscript.js:21878:19) at getOrCreateMarker (apiscript.js:21863:19) at doTurnorderChange (apiscript.js:22010:27) at nextTurn (apiscript.js:22157:9) at Timeout.<anonymous> (apiscript.js:22278:36) at listOnTimeout (internal/timers.js:549:17) at processTimers (internal/timers.js:492:7) Also, in response to Victor B: if I have to have everyone in the combat order, and the order sorted before starting Combat Master, does that mean that if creatures are summoned and need to be added to the initiative order after combat starts, they can't be? 
Victor B. said: You need to set the clear statuses on close to true under the Status menu and then stop combat.  That clears statuses and conditions from CM.  The clear token statuses simply removes the icons from the tokens.  That was put in because I was noticing duplicates in the Roll20 campaign object I want to clear statuses of a toke during combat, not end combat. Any other way to remove all statuses? The "Help" says something else, BTW.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Greybeard, no. you can't @Saul, you got something wrong.  Set turnorder, start combat it works.  You may not be playing 5e?  You have something strange going on?  But it works.