Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster Manual Official Bug Thread

Edited 1486442222
Gid
Roll20 Team
If you find any issues with your  Monster Manual Compendium Purchase , please post in this thread. If you're unsure of how to use the Roll20's roll out of the Monster Manual, please see our  companion wiki page . Known Issues There is a known cosmetic issue in-app where monster entries that exist in both the SRD and in the Monster Manual won't show the correct source (They'll show up as SRD instead of MM1) and also not have their token thumbnail listed; however, the entries will still link to their Monster Manual counterparts and will not affect their drag and drop abilities in game.

Edited 1486455667
Ancient and Adult Dragons, at least the 3 I've checked are missing their normal actions. The same is true for many other monsters which have legendary actions, those are shown but their normal actions are not. 

Edited 1486456219
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Paddywan said: Ancient and Adult Dragons, at least the 3 I've checked are missing their normal actions. The same is true for many other monsters which have legendary actions, those are shown but their normal actions are not.  Try clearing your cache. We put out a character sheet update today. It's possible you've still got the old sheet cached in your browser. Let us know if that doesn't fix it.
Cleared my cache, restarted browser, tried two different existing games and one new game the problem persists. I see some of the monsters are listed as coming from the SRD still but even those designated as MM1 have the issue. I've uploaded and example of what I'm seeing below.
I've had similar issues with the Volo's guide monsters where some of the actions or traits are blank (It's all on the info tab so usually copy and paste over when I'm adding to the journal tab). 
When I drag two of the same type of monster over on to the map from the MM, I get two tokens, but only a single Journal entry. Is that normal?

Edited 1486461772
I'm having an issue related above, in that some creatures still appear to be coming from the SRD, even though they have all the required stats and images. Here is e.g. the Bulette: Notice that there is no icon, and it says SRD. But it seems to have an image in its entry: Edit: Ah, I see this is a known issue. Nevermind then.
Mark P. said: When I drag two of the same type of monster over on to the map from the MM, I get two tokens, but only a single Journal entry. Is that normal? That's the intention - the first time you drag it out it adds to the Journal - this way you can then drag from the journal for multiple copies, etc.

Edited 1486474849
Ogre Zombie - another that isn't properly done- says SRD, drag and drop works with token, but the token doesn't have stats Nothic - missing speed in red bar hook horror - missing speed in red bar noticing pattern here- did you guys not keep the same formatting that Volos did (which had the red bar set as speed- at least for some of them) Beholder - missing attacks and Anti-Magic cone listed in wrong spot (that is listed under attacks rather than above it) Azer - token has no stats Remorhaz & Young Remorhaz - token has no stats Umberhulk - token has no stats

Edited 1486471216
Orc - Has a Javelin attack for both Melee and Ranged. This does not match the hardback MM where the melee attack is a Greataxe. You can manually amend it but for a product which cost close to £50 there really shouldn't be this many issues with the monster stats and actions, particularly given this was the key selling point of the product (to prevent us having to manually edit things and make it quicker to set up). Disappointing.

Edited 1486486127
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Summary from  Urk Burker : The 1st token I tried didnt have the correct DC saves on his lighting breath.(Adult Bronze Dragon)
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So far, every token that I have tried to make is missing stats (I am using the OGL sheet): Giant Sea Horse Githzerai Zerth Githzerai Monk Githyanki Warrior Githyanki Knight Gnoll Pack Lord Gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu Grell Grick Alpha Hook Horror Intellect Devourer This isn't the end of the world for me, as I use Tokenmod macros (thanks Aaron!!!) to set up each token I use exactly the way I want, but it would be handy if these came with stats on them. Either that or something is broken in my game and the tokens aren't coming in as intended.
Under MONSTERS in my COMPENDIUM, some of the monsters still show SRD instead of MM1.  See screenshot.  Please resolve.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kristin C. said: Known Issues There is a known cosmetic issue in-app where monster entries that exist in both the SRD and in the Monster Manual won't show the correct source (They'll show up as SRD instead of MM1) and also not have their token thumbnail listed; however, the entries will still link to their Monster Manual counterparts and will not affect their drag and drop abilities in game.
I think the sizing of the small and tiny monsters aren't preset? The tokens for 'small' monsters that I use are set as one unit and the 'tiny' tokens are half that size. If I'm not mistaken small should be roughly half a unit and tiny a quarter? This also seems to be the case with the Volo's tokens.

Edited 1486489242
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Rob said: Ogre Zombie - another that isn't properly done- says SRD, drag and drop works with token, but the token doesn't have stats Nothic - missing speed in red bar hook horror - missing speed in red bar noticing pattern here- did you guys not keep the same formatting that Volos did (which had the red bar set as speed- at least for some of them) Beholder - missing attacks and Anti-Magic cone listed in wrong spot (that is listed under attacks rather than above it) Azer - token has no stats Remorhaz & Young Remorhaz - token has no stats Umberhulk - token has no stats The OGL 5E Sheet is set to have HP in bar 1 and AC in bar 2. I plan on adding additional logic to make this customizable in the future.  As for tokens not showing up with stats at all, I'm unable to recreate that problem. Can you give more information, including your OS, Browser, Version, and details about the game you're dropping these monsters into? Does this problem happen in a fresh blank game?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Loren S. said: So far, every token that I have tried to make is missing stats (I am using the OGL sheet): Giant Sea Horse Githzerai Zerth Githzerai Monk Githyanki Warrior Githyanki Knight Gnoll Pack Lord Gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu Grell Grick Alpha Hook Horror Intellect Devourer This isn't the end of the world for me, as I use Tokenmod macros (thanks Aaron!!!) to set up each token I use exactly the way I want, but it would be handy if these came with stats on them. Either that or something is broken in my game and the tokens aren't coming in as intended. As in the response above this one, I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Can you provide more information.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Bora A. said: I think the sizing of the small and tiny monsters aren't preset? The tokens for 'small' monsters that I use are set as one unit and the 'tiny' tokens are half that size. If I'm not mistaken small should be roughly half a unit and tiny a quarter? This also seems to be the case with the Volo's tokens. The token sizing matches Wizards of the Coast's specifications and is the same between Volo's and Monster Manual. Take "Cranium Rat" and "Pixie" as examples of Tiny monsters. You can also see the size specifications on p191 of the Players Handbook.
Some entries aren't working for me when I try to drag and drop them. They do list MM as the source though. Guard is the first example I had. there is a token, but it doesn't appear when dragged onto the map. 

Edited 1486516704
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Steve K. said: As in the response above this one, I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Can you provide more information. OS: Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10 Professional (tried on two machines) Browser: Chrome 56.0.2924.87 (Windows 7 computer, unable to check currently on Windows 10 computer) Game Details:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1260420/t" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1260420/t</a>... Blank game: Tokens load correctly into a blank game, so there is probably something not working correctly in my current campaign. Update 7:16 PM Just added the four Kuo-Toa creatures. The Kuo-toa Monitor, Whip, and Archpriest did not load any values to the tokens, but the standard Kuo-toa brought in the stats as expected: 18/18 in bar 1, 13 representing npc_ac in Bar 2.
I'm also on Chrome and monsters I pull out do not have statted tokens. &nbsp;However, if I use Private Browsing, the problem goes away. &nbsp;Occasionally, I've found that using the LastPass Chrome Extension causes a myriad of problems in Roll20 (character sheet slowdown, script issues, etc). &nbsp;Last time this sort of thing happened, it eventually went away (I'm assuming LastPass pushed an update, not Roll20).
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Steve K. said: Loren S. said: So far, every token that I have tried to make is missing stats (I am using the OGL sheet): Giant Sea Horse Githzerai Zerth Githzerai Monk Githyanki Warrior Githyanki Knight Gnoll Pack Lord Gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu Grell Grick Alpha Hook Horror Intellect Devourer This isn't the end of the world for me, as I use Tokenmod macros (thanks Aaron!!!) to set up each token I use exactly the way I want, but it would be handy if these came with stats on them. Either that or something is broken in my game and the tokens aren't coming in as intended. As in the response above this one, I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Can you provide more information. Could this be the same issue noted here:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-guide-to-monsters-official-bug-thread/?pageforid=4310963#post-4310963" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-guide-to-monsters-official-bug-thread/?pageforid=4310963#post-4310963</a>
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Franky H. said: Could this be the same issue noted here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-guide-to-monsters-official-bug-thread/?pageforid=4310963#post-4310963" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-guide-to-monsters-official-bug-thread/?pageforid=4310963#post-4310963</a> If so, it would be because of campaign size, and not because it is based on SKT. This campaign was begun over a year ago, so it is very large, but is not based on SKT.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Andrew said: I'm also on Chrome and monsters I pull out do not have statted tokens. &nbsp;However, if I use Private Browsing, the problem goes away. &nbsp;Occasionally, I've found that using the LastPass Chrome Extension causes a myriad of problems in Roll20 (character sheet slowdown, script issues, etc). &nbsp;Last time this sort of thing happened, it eventually went away (I'm assuming LastPass pushed an update, not Roll20). I have disabled the LastPass extension, and the problem persists. I just tested Private Browsing, and the problem also persists.
I'm having trouble just importing certain monsters onto my table top. I've tried multiple browsers, laptops, and certain ones still do not show up (e.g. aarakocra, acolyte, ankheg, etc.). Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it?
So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD
Multiple monsters are missing actions when I'm using 5e Shaped sheet. It seems to work only with OGL. I'm disappointed because I want to keep using Shaped.
Miodziek said: Multiple monsters are missing actions when I'm using 5e Shaped sheet. It seems to work only with OGL. I'm disappointed because I want to keep using Shaped. Which &nbsp;monsters? I've tried several on a game with the shaped sheet and they've worked. Maybe I've been lucky. AD

Edited 1486510262
Which &nbsp;monsters? I've tried several on a game with the shaped sheet and they've worked. Maybe I've been lucky. AD Winged Kobold and Goblin Boss for example. Winged Kobold missing all attacks, Goblin Boss missing melee javelin and scimitar attacks. Both seem to work well when I'm using OGL.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Loren S. said: Franky H. said: Could this be the same issue noted here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-guide-to-monsters-official-bug-thread/?pageforid=4310963#post-4310963" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4201884/volos-guide-to-monsters-official-bug-thread/?pageforid=4310963#post-4310963</a> If so, it would be because of campaign size, and not because it is based on SKT. This campaign was begun over a year ago, so it is very large, but is not based on SKT. Could you try it in a fresh campaign and see if the issue persists?
Is there any ETA as to when the SRD vs. MM1 tags will be fixed in the in-game Compendium or when the other issues with existing modules will be corrected? I've also noticed missing actions and tokens that were missing stats while trying to drag and drop them into my official LMoP campaign. Haven't tried it in a blank game as of yet.
Miodziek said: Which &nbsp;monsters? I've tried several on a game with the shaped sheet and they've worked. Maybe I've been lucky. AD Winged Kobold and Goblin Boss for example. Winged Kobold missing all attacks, Goblin Boss missing melee javelin and scimitar attacks. Both seem to work well when I'm using OGL. Oddly javelin shows up for me on goblin boss. But not the multiattack or anything else. I wonder if this is something the sheet author needs to work out. His sheet has additional functionality-- which is what makes it so cool. But maybe it breaks more easily. AD
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Miodziek said: Multiple monsters are missing actions when I'm using 5e Shaped sheet. It seems to work only with OGL. I'm disappointed because I want to keep using Shaped. Shaped converts monsters from the OGL format. If you believe there is a mistake please report it on my&nbsp; issue tracker with the monsters that didn't work specified. I'd highly recommend waiting until 9.0.1 is released by roll20 ( roll20 pull requests on github )
Vince Dizzle said: I'm having trouble just importing certain monsters onto my table top. I've tried multiple browsers, laptops, and certain ones still do not show up (e.g. aarakocra, acolyte, ankheg, etc.). Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I have had the same problem. windows/mac: chrome (including incognito mode) and safari on mac
Steve K. said: Rob said: Ogre Zombie - another that isn't properly done- says SRD, drag and drop works with token, but the token doesn't have stats Nothic - missing speed in red bar hook horror - missing speed in red bar noticing pattern here- did you guys not keep the same formatting that Volos did (which had the red bar set as speed- at least for some of them) Beholder - missing attacks and Anti-Magic cone listed in wrong spot (that is listed under attacks rather than above it) Azer - token has no stats Remorhaz & Young Remorhaz - token has no stats Umberhulk - token has no stats The OGL 5E Sheet is set to have HP in bar 1 and AC in bar 2. I plan on adding additional logic to make this customizable in the future.&nbsp; As for tokens not showing up with stats at all, I'm unable to recreate that problem. Can you give more information, including your OS, Browser, Version, and details about the game you're dropping these monsters into? Does this problem happen in a fresh blank game? Windows 10, Chrome (latest version), Game&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1858201/world-eater" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1858201/world-eater</a> , created a new game and tokens are dropping with stats- not sure why they don't work in my primary game- settings are the same. In the new game however character sheets for some monsters are still missing their attacks (for example the adult bronze dragon, and the beholder)
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thank you to everyone who provided more information. It helped me track down the issues. Tokens should no longer be propagating without being filled out first and complicated monsters like the Beholder should have their sheets filled out with all of it's Actions and Traits. Let me know if you run into any trouble.
Steve K. said: Thank you to everyone who provided more information. It helped me track down the issues. Tokens should no longer be propagating without being filled out first and complicated monsters like the Beholder should have their sheets filled out with all of it's Actions and Traits. Let me know if you run into any trouble. I'm afraid my older game is still behaving the same way. Character sheets not filled out for the monsters. And, &nbsp;incidentally, the tokens aren't sized properly either (beholder shows up as medium rather than large).&nbsp; AD
Adrian D. said: So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD I just tested dragging and dropping monsters that aren't working in my older game into a new game and they worked. Is there any way to fix this problem so older games can use the full stats and character sheets? I have already put a lot of time into my campaign on roll20 and I don't want to start over from scratch.
Vince Dizzle said: Adrian D. said: So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD I just tested dragging and dropping monsters that aren't working in my older game into a new game and they worked. Is there any way to fix this problem so older games can use the full stats and character sheets? I have already put a lot of time into my campaign on roll20 and I don't want to start over from scratch. Agreed. It would be nice not to have to re-enter everything. I've tried copying my old game to see if a new copy would fix the problem. It does not. AD
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vince Dizzle said: Adrian D. said: So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD I just tested dragging and dropping monsters that aren't working in my older game into a new game and they worked. Is there any way to fix this problem so older games can use the full stats and character sheets? I have already put a lot of time into my campaign on roll20 and I don't want to start over from scratch. Removing the monster that didn't import correctly and re-importing it is the only fix. We appologize for the inconvienence.&nbsp;
Steve K. said: Vince Dizzle said: Adrian D. said: So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD I just tested dragging and dropping monsters that aren't working in my older game into a new game and they worked. Is there any way to fix this problem so older games can use the full stats and character sheets? I have already put a lot of time into my campaign on roll20 and I don't want to start over from scratch. Removing the monster that didn't import correctly and re-importing it is the only fix. We appologize for the inconvienence.&nbsp; How do I re-import the monsters that aren't working? Is there a help document for that process?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Vince Dizzle said: Steve K. said: Vince Dizzle said: Adrian D. said: So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD I just tested dragging and dropping monsters that aren't working in my older game into a new game and they worked. Is there any way to fix this problem so older games can use the full stats and character sheets? I have already put a lot of time into my campaign on roll20 and I don't want to start over from scratch. Removing the monster that didn't import correctly and re-importing it is the only fix. We appologize for the inconvienence.&nbsp; How do I re-import the monsters that aren't working? Is there a help document for that process? If you delete the monster from your journal and then do the drag and drop from the compendium to the tabletop it will re-import the monster.
Steve K. said: Vince Dizzle said: Steve K. said: Vince Dizzle said: Adrian D. said: So I've found that in newer games the tokens work fine and the sheets are fully statted. However, in an older game the tokens do not have stats and the character sheet is not filled out.&nbsp; Legacy issue? AD I just tested dragging and dropping monsters that aren't working in my older game into a new game and they worked. Is there any way to fix this problem so older games can use the full stats and character sheets? I have already put a lot of time into my campaign on roll20 and I don't want to start over from scratch. Removing the monster that didn't import correctly and re-importing it is the only fix. We appologize for the inconvienence.&nbsp; How do I re-import the monsters that aren't working? Is there a help document for that process? If you delete the monster from your journal and then do the drag and drop from the compendium to the tabletop it will re-import the monster. Oh I can't even do that because some of the creatures don't drag and drop from the compendium, therefore I can't import them at all.

Edited 1486582715
Steve K. said: If you delete the monster from your journal and then do the drag and drop from the compendium to the tabletop it will re-import the monster. I've tried this. It does not work. Not only that, brand new monsters that I haven't imported before still show no stats in the character sheet. AD
Gid
Roll20 Team
When it comes to auto-generating a character journal from the Compendium (whether that's from Volo's, the Monster Manual, or the SRD), the entry is supplied to the journal once . If you try to drag and drop the creature again from the Compendium to the Tabletop, it'll check to see if a character journal entry already exists. If one does, it will only place a token (if the entry is from Volo's or the MM which comes with token art) on the Tabletop. The character journal isn't overwritten. Therefore, if you're trying to pull in new monsters that weren't working before we ran a sheet patch fix, you'll need to delete the existing character journal for that monster and re-drag and drop the entry from the Compendium. Adrian D. said: Steve K. said: If you delete the monster from your journal and then do the drag and drop from the compendium to the tabletop it will re-import the monster. I've tried this. It does not work. Not only that, brand new monsters that I haven't imported before still show no stats in the character sheet. AD Adrian, can you share the name of the game that is giving you the drag and drop issues so we can take a look at it?
Kristin C. said: Adrian, can you share the name of the game that is giving you the drag and drop issues so we can take a look at it? Absolutely. It's called Exiles of Moldvay. Thank you much for taking a look. AD
Kristin C. said: When it comes to auto-generating a character journal from the Compendium (whether that's from Volo's, the Monster Manual, or the SRD), the entry is supplied to the journal once . If you try to drag and drop the creature again from the Compendium to the Tabletop, it'll check to see if a character journal entry already exists. If one does, it will only place a token (if the entry is from Volo's or the MM which comes with token art) on the Tabletop. The character journal isn't overwritten. Therefore, if you're trying to pull in new monsters that weren't working before we ran a sheet patch fix, you'll need to delete the existing character journal for that monster and re-drag and drop the entry from the Compendium. That did the trick! Thank you for the assistance.

Edited 1486594617
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thanks, Adrian. I made a copy of that game and dragged and dropped some monsters from the MM and they were able to transfer over without any issue. What this suggests is that something browser-side on your end is likely disrupting the Javascript running that allows the drag and drop to work completely. If you haven't done so yet, I would try clearing your cache and disabling any extensions you might have running in the background to make sure that isn't causing additional problems with your game. We're finding that old caches of character sheets can cause issues here since the drag and drop dunctionality is reliant on the character sheet's logic. UPDATE: &nbsp;I dug through it again, it looks like all your journal entries are hidden from view in the journal tab. I can bring them up if I ALT+doubleclick on a token to pull the journal up, but it's not something you can locate under the journal tab. Was this an issue before or after you started testing bringing in MM creatures?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Mark P. said: Orc - Has a Javelin attack for both Melee and Ranged. This does not match the hardback MM where the melee attack is a Greataxe. You can manually amend it but for a product which cost close to £50 there really shouldn't be this many issues with the monster stats and actions, particularly given this was the key selling point of the product (to prevent us having to manually edit things and make it quicker to set up). Disappointing. The Orc should have its Greataxe attack listed. The Javelin can be used for both Melee and Ranged in the book and so it was split up into two attacks for convenience. See the entry below:
Kristin C. said: Thanks, Adrian. I made a copy of that game and dragged and dropped some monsters from the MM and they were able to transfer over without any issue. What this suggests is that something browser-side on your end is likely disrupting the Javascript running that allows the drag and drop to work completely. If you haven't done so yet, I would try clearing your cache and disabling any extensions you might have running in the background to make sure that isn't causing additional problems with your game. We're finding that old caches of character sheets can cause issues here since the drag and drop dunctionality is reliant on the character sheet's logic. UPDATE: &nbsp;I dug through it again, it looks like all your journal entries are hidden from view in the journal tab. I can bring them up if I ALT+doubleclick on a token to pull the journal up, but it's not something you can locate under the journal tab. Was this an issue before or after you started testing bringing in MM creatures? This is all very odd. I see my journal entries just fine. &nbsp;And definitely dragging and dropping monsters onto the table just results in journal entries with blank character sheets. And when I copy the game I get the same result. And I've cleared my cache several times. I would think that it was a browser issue except that a brand new game with the ogl sheet works just fine on the same computer using the same browser.&nbsp; I'll try it on a different computer and browser when I get home. But in the meantime, I'm baffled. One odd thing I notice that might be a clue-- In my new OGL sheet game, when I drag a monster, the entry for it with the character sheet just pops up automatically. But in my 'broken' game, I drag it and nothing appears to have happened. I then have to go to the journal and click on it-- which results in a monster with a blank character sheet popping up. Though the image is there. AD