Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster Manual Official Bug Thread

As for having trouble dragging the journal entry to the tabletop to create a token, are you making certain you're dragging the token by its journal name and not the icon that has the three horizontal bars that appears to the entry's left (this icon is to resort that entry's order elsewhere in the Journal tab)? Ah-ha! That was exactly the problem. Thank you, it works a treat now.
Hello! I am playing a campaign where we switch the DMs using the Plot Points style of play found in the Dungeon Master's Guide, The Gods Must Be Crazy. Following this, various players can become the DM throughout a session. Roll20 typically works well for this since we can promote and demote players to/from GM status. I figured buying the Monster Manual would make this process go much more smoothly for the group since we our encounters are generally randomly generated on the fly. We are running into an issue however, where only my account is able to use the Monster Manual properly. The issue is detailed below: My account that purchased the Monster Manual can drag a monster, such as a Goblin, from the Monster Manual into the game. This creates the token and journal entry as expected. If we switch GMs, then the new GM runs into an issue where the token doesn't generate. For example, if they drag a Goblin Boss from the monster manual into the game, it creates the journal entry, but not the token. It seems to have no image for the monster's journal avatar and token. We can remove the nonexisting token and replace it with another token, but we obviously would prefer to just use the tokens that come with the Monster Manual. It adds a lot of time to find a suitable image and then set it up appropriately for use in game. Should we expect for players who are promoted to GM in my game to be able to use the Monster Manual in the same way I am able to?
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Nathaniel F. said: Hello! I am playing a campaign where we switch the DMs using the Plot Points style of play found in the Dungeon Master's Guide, The Gods Must Be Crazy. Following this, various players can become the DM throughout a session. Roll20 typically works well for this since we can promote and demote players to/from GM status. I figured buying the Monster Manual would make this process go much more smoothly for the group since we our encounters are generally randomly generated on the fly. We are running into an issue however, where only my account is able to use the Monster Manual properly. The issue is detailed below: My account that purchased the Monster Manual can drag a monster, such as a Goblin, from the Monster Manual into the game. This creates the token and journal entry as expected. If we switch GMs, then the new GM runs into an issue where the token doesn't generate. For example, if they drag a Goblin Boss from the monster manual into the game, it creates the journal entry, but not the token. It seems to have no image for the monster's journal avatar and token. We can remove the nonexisting token and replace it with another token, but we obviously would prefer to just use the tokens that come with the Monster Manual. It adds a lot of time to find a suitable image and then set it up appropriately for use in game. Should we expect for players who are promoted to GM in my game to be able to use the Monster Manual in the same way I am able to? Access to the MM is account specific. Since you're the one who purchased the content, it was only unlocked in your compendium. The other players won't be able to access it without purchasing their own copy of it. 
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I have a few basic reports that I have encountered in the last 2 days so I don't believe they have been attended to: Missing from Compendium 5E Monster Manual Monsters Twig Blight Vine Blight Spell Witch bolt (Warlock cantrip) Many of the monsters have a blank token that has to be removed before you can attach a token image to drop down on the table. Not sure if there is a set reason for this or not. Just thought I bring the issue up.

Edited 1491237429
Gid
Roll20 Team
Joshua Kurz said: I have a few basic reports that I have encountered in the last 2 days so I don't believe they have been attended to: Missing from Compendium 5E Monster Manual Monsters Twig Blight Vine Blight Spell Witch bolt (Warlock cantrip) Many of the monsters have a blank token that has to be removed before you can attach a token image to drop down on the table. Not sure if there is a set reason for this or not. Just thought I bring the issue up. Twig Blight: <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Twig" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Twig</a>... Vine Blight:&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Vine%" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Vine%</a>... Class spells aren't covered in the Monster Manual Compendium expansion, many of them aren't included in the D&D 5E OGL SRD. If they're not available in the 5E OGL SRD, we can't include it in the Compendium. Edit: In order to see the tokens, you must have purchased the&nbsp; Monster Manual Compendium expansion .
Kristin C. said: Joshua Kurz said: I have a few basic reports that I have encountered in the last 2 days so I don't believe they have been attended to: Missing from Compendium 5E Monster Manual Monsters Twig Blight Vine Blight Spell Witch bolt (Warlock cantrip) Many of the monsters have a blank token that has to be removed before you can attach a token image to drop down on the table. Not sure if there is a set reason for this or not. Just thought I bring the issue up. Twig Blight: <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Twig" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Twig</a>... Vine Blight:&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Vine%" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Monsters:Vine%</a>... Class spells aren't covered in the Monster Manual Compendium expansion, many of them aren't included in the D&D 5E OGL SRD. If they're not available in the 5E OGL SRD, we can't include it in the Compendium. Edit: In order to see the tokens, you must have purchased the&nbsp; Monster Manual Compendium expansion . If you have&nbsp; a license to cover the Monster Manual from WotC would that not include spells that the monster would use? I am unclear on how that works.
Craven . said: If you have&nbsp; a license to cover the Monster Manual from WotC would that not include spells that the monster would use? I am unclear on how that works. I think the only way they could include spell info is if the full description of the spell was included in the text itself. If it's just a reference (ie. name) of a spell, then it would not be included in the publishing license in most cases.

Edited 1491359773
There is a typo in the Hezrou entry. For Damage Resistances Lightning is spelled Kightning.&nbsp; All in all I'm really enjoying the MM and all the official D&D releases. Keep up the great work!
Gid
Roll20 Team
Kelsey said: There is a typo in the Hezrou entry. For Damage Resistances Lightning is spelled Kightning.&nbsp; All in all I'm really enjoying the MM and all the official D&D releases. Keep up the great work! That has now been fixed. Thank you for pointing that out, Kelsey!
Ettercap Web Garrote &nbsp;doesn't roll correctly for me, although it is coming from the srd
Gid
Roll20 Team
Andrew J. said: Ettercap Web Garrote &nbsp;doesn't roll correctly for me, although it is coming from the srd That SRD entry has been fixed. The formatting of the 5E OGL sheet wasn't converting the extra set of parenthesis for the escape roll correctly. this was corrected in the MM expansion already, but now that should work correctly in the OGL Compendium as well.
Dragging monsters from journal or compendium is not populating bar 2 with AC. I'm using Shaped sheet which I know is not directly supported but I'm wondering whether anyone has come across this before.
Erudo said: Dragging monsters from journal or compendium is not populating bar 2 with AC. I'm using Shaped sheet which I know is not directly supported but I'm wondering whether anyone has come across this before. You'll need to install/use the 5eShapedCompanion script and make sure that the token defaults are set up correctly.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jyro X said: Erudo said: Dragging monsters from journal or compendium is not populating bar 2 with AC. I'm using Shaped sheet which I know is not directly supported but I'm wondering whether anyone has come across this before. You'll need to install/use the 5eShapedCompanion script and make sure that the token defaults are set up correctly. Actually, it ought to work even without the companion script. I recommend opening an issue on Kryx' tracker, although these things are hard to debug since he does not actually own the MM. If I remember correctly, there was some trouble with uppercase/lowercase AC previously.
Erudo said: Dragging monsters from journal or compendium is not populating bar 2 with AC. I'm using Shaped sheet which I know is not directly supported but I'm wondering whether anyone has come across this before. You can also use token-mod and setup a macro to quick set all you token your defaults. Example below. !token-mod {{ --set bar1_link|hp bar2_link|ac bar3_link|speed rotation|180 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; light_losangle|270 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; width|70 height|70 --on &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; flipv &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; fliph &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; showname &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; light_hassight &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; playerssee_name &nbsp; --off playersedit_bar1 playersedit_bar2 playersedit_bar3 isdrawing }}
Psychic Grey Ooze is not accessible from the link given on the variant section of Grey Ooze. Page reports as not authorized, however if I manually search for it in the compendium I can get to it. Link currently is:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/compendium/monstermanual/Mo" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/compendium/monstermanual/Mo</a>... Accessible link is:&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Psychic%20Gray" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Psychic%20Gray</a>...
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thank you for catching that Nic C. That variant link has been fixed on the Grey Ooze's page.
Aracnoloth and other spell casting creatures don't have spells built in for them. Just an entry saying what spells they have.

Edited 1494786260
Okay I have a question some of the monsters don't have a character sheet from the Monster Manual. &nbsp;I just noticed at least the Goblin isn't showing a character sheet for me. &nbsp;I have to go into Storm King's Thunder NPC / Monsters to pull up the character sheet for the Goblin.&nbsp; Is this a known issue? &nbsp;Am I doing something wrong, or delete something by accident? I have tried it on another game and the npc sheet is showing up? &nbsp;It this an issue with Storm King's Thunder or did I just mess something up?
Gid
Roll20 Team
The game needs to be using a Compendium Compatible character sheet for the drag and drop NPC sheet creation to work. When you create a module with Storm King's Thunder (or Lost Mines of Phandelver), the Roll20 5E OGL Sheet is automatically selected. If you're not using a module as the base for a game, you need to select a character sheet in the&nbsp; Game's Settings . As far as I know, only the Roll20 5E OGL Sheet and the Shaped Sheet are Compendium Compatible.
Hi, I want to report a bug from the 5e official monster manual. The Cave Bear (CR 2) stats are missing.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Gianmarco V. (Ravencroma) said: Hi, I want to report a bug from the 5e official monster manual. The Cave Bear (CR 2) stats are missing. I just ran a test with Cave Bear with the Roll20 5E OGL Sheet and it came in statted. Which sheet are you using, Gianmarco?
Which sheet are you using, Gianmarco? I'm using the 5e OGL This is what I get when I try to open the Cave Bear Sheet
Id like to report a MM bug with the Mastiff entry. When I drag and drop it, it will not create an NPC entry in my journal. Thanks!
Gid
Roll20 Team
Lord H said: Id like to report a MM bug with the Mastiff entry. When I drag and drop it, it will not create an NPC entry in my journal. Thanks! Lord H, what is likely happening here is that you already have a handout or character entry titled "Mastiff" among your journal entries. When you drag out from the Compendium, a journal entry is not created if it sees there is a entry already labeled the same exact thing (this is to prevent accidentally dragging out multiple journal instances of the same monster).
Thanks. I have so many NPCs in my journal, I missed it. I looked again and sure enough, its there. Thanks.
I am also having an issue with the Cave Bear and Aaracockra: just bought the compendium and the entry puts a token out for the cave bear (but not the aaracockra), but both of them are in their srd default form and none of the info is clickable.
FYI: not sure if this is intentional or not, but the link in the marketplace for the MM under bundle includes these items doesn't work.
I have an issue where many of the monsters I have draged into the journal do not show the NPC character sheet, they show up as default player sheets (lvl1 barb) with the right stats but no other information. To fix this I have to delete them from the journal then re-add them.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Matt said: FYI: not sure if this is intentional or not, but the link in the marketplace for the MM under bundle includes these items doesn't work. Thanks for pointing this out. We'll get it fixed. Daniel S. said: I have an issue where many of the monsters I have draged into the journal do not show the NPC character sheet, they show up as default player sheets (lvl1 barb) with the right stats but no other information. To fix this I have to delete them from the journal then re-add them. It sounds like you've got something interrupting Roll20's JavaScript. Is there an Adblock you can white list on Roll20 or try pausing your other addons and 3rd party applications?
Steve K. said: Matt said: FYI: not sure if this is intentional or not, but the link in the marketplace for the MM under bundle includes these items doesn't work. Thanks for pointing this out. We'll get it fixed. I'm not meaning to be pushy or anything as I know you guys are busy, but is there an eta for this fix. I am interested in buying it but I would like to see the pics for what it includes. Thanks
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Matt said: I'm not meaning to be pushy or anything as I know you guys are busy, but is there an eta for this fix. I am interested in buying it but I would like to see the pics for what it includes. Thanks The Compendium Expansion link is fixed.&nbsp; Here is an example of the drag and drop compendium functionality.
Steve K. said: Matt said: I'm not meaning to be pushy or anything as I know you guys are busy, but is there an eta for this fix. I am interested in buying it but I would like to see the pics for what it includes. Thanks The Compendium Expansion link is fixed.&nbsp; Here is an example of the drag and drop compendium functionality. Thank you for looking into this and I appreciate the link you provided to the blog as well. I am not sure why, but this link is still not working for me. I have tried it on 3 different computers and still no luck. Here is a screenshot of what I am getting.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It's possible you've got the old page cached. If you clear your cache and try the page again, do you get the same result?

Edited 1503366572
Steve K. said: It's possible you've got the old page cached. If you clear your cache and try the page again, do you get the same result? Wow. Fixed. That was the problem on all three of my computers. Silly me. Thanks for your help Steve.
Have you guys tried to enable popups and disable blockers on the page? it worked for me.

Edited 1505769919
Hi, I am getting a wierd bug where when i drag a token into play, it does everything it is supposed to EXCEPT toggle the attack. I can do this manually via the edit option (the pencil), but its a pain to do that to everything. I've included some screenshots (sorry for the size, i have two monitors and didnt crop it) to kind of tell you what I am talking about. I am using the shaped character sheet. I use chrome as a browser.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi Daniel,&nbsp; The Shaped Sheet is a Community Sheet and not supported directly by Roll20. All WOTC modules are designed with the Roll20 5E OGL sheet. However, please post about this issue in the Character Sheet forums - <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/277980" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/277980</a> Make sure to tag it as [5E Shaped Sheet]. They're a very helpful bunch :) &nbsp;
Today's Monster Manual problem: I'm trying to drag and drop an Ochre Jelly from the MM and it puts the icon there, but it doesn't add the monster sheet to my journal and it doesn't pop open the monster sheet like it usually does when you drag and drop a monster from the MM when it's an Ochre Jelly.&nbsp; I tried adding other monsters (a Nycaloth and an Octopus) and the two I tried worked out fine, adding the token to the map and popping open their sheets.&nbsp; I actually am using an Ochre Jelly in next week's encounters, though, so it would be nice to have it. There are also some problems with at least one character sheet from the MM, the Twig Blight. It does not have the AC on its character sheet in my journal.

Edited 1506792701
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi Keith - We've heard of a few monsters having some issues, I'll add this to the list and see what's up! Thanks for the report :) Edit: I was able to populate both of those monsters, I'm wondering if it might be a lag issue...I'll see what I can find. When you close and open the game does the problem persist?

Edited 1506822446
It seems the update broke the Monster Manual altogether. Anything I already had created as a character in my existing game is fine. Anything that I drag onto the map for the first time in anticipation of it creating a character entry (just like it used to) it gives me the token, but no stats. It creates a blank player character sheet instead.&nbsp; This is especially odd since I am sure it was working this morning.&nbsp; Edit: Rakshasa worked earlier today, but demilich, wraith, death knight, beholder zombie, and flameskull all failed miserably just now.
Benjamin S. said: It seems the update broke the Monster Manual altogether. Anything I already had created as a character in my existing game is fine. Anything that I drag onto the map for the first time in anticipation of it creating a character entry (just like it used to) it gives me the token, but no stats. It creates a blank player character sheet instead.&nbsp; This is especially odd since I am sure it was working this morning.&nbsp; Edit: Rakshasa worked earlier today, but demilich, wraith, death knight, beholder zombie, and flameskull all failed miserably just now. Happened to me has well. Old entries work just fine. I also took notice that some of the newly added entries do appear properly in the journal... but their automatic attack roller doesn't show damage roll results or attack roll results whilst still displaying the monsters and attack names in the chat.
Demilich is now working. The others are still broken. I have not gone looking for others, but the fact that at least one started working implies that it is getting fixed or that the problem is something inconsistent.&nbsp;
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Just checking in to say that we're still looking into this, folks!
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Could I please get game names for folks that are having issues and also console logs?&nbsp; Information on how to collect those can be found here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues</a> Thanks!

Edited 1506985857
Same issue if I use a monster I have drag out before its ok but if I drag a new one no stats. Web Browser - Firefox Browser Version- 55.0.3 Operating System MacOS 10.12.6 If Javascript is enabled - Yes Your anti-virus software- none List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled Https, Youtube HD, 1Password (also happend on my Laptop that I used to run my game and it has no add-ons) No errors under the console log. Game The Sword Coast D&D 5E with OGL 5E API
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Craven said: Same issue if I use a monster I have drag out before its ok but if I drag a new one no stats. Web Browser - Firefox Browser Version- 55.0.3 Operating System MacOS 10.12.6 If Javascript is enabled - Yes Your anti-virus software- none List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled Https, Youtube HD, 1Password (also happend on my Laptop that I used to run my game and it has no add-ons) No errors under the console log. Game The Sword Coast D&D 5E with OGL 5E API Are you getting this issue if you use Chrome, or does it only happen with FF?

Edited 1507055955
Ok here is what I have found. First I don't have chrome install so I tried Safari. I had to remove the entry the was in the journal and go back t the monster manual and pull the token out. In Safari it works, when i go back to FF the token was ok as well. but if I delete it from the journal again and pull the same monster in FF I get the issue. I had both running at the same time. If you need more I can download chrome but I don't like that browser. UPDATE: Firefox just updated to version 56 and now the monsters stats work.
Is it intentional that a player promoted to GM in a game can't access their compendium, meaning they can't use the Monster Manual?