Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Paizo] Rise of the Runelords Bug Thread

Edited 1555519175
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Thank you for purchasing  Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition ! Please report any bugs and feedback in this thread.  Here is an additional quick FAQ based on past releases: Important Notice:  Rise of the Runelords is a very large module. After initial game creation, it can take 1-3 minutes for all module content to populate. We recommend keeping character sheet additions to a minimum and deleting out any unused character sheets (For example, all of the Pathfinder Pregens may be easily deleted if your party does not utilize them). I bought the game. Now what? You can now create a new game and choose "Rise of the Runelords" from the modules on the right hand side of your game creation screen. What Character Sheet should I use? All Pathfinder licensed content on Roll20 uses the Roll20 Pathfinder Official Character Sheet. When creating a new Roll20 game that you intend to use with Rise of the Runelords, be sure to select the Pathfinder Official Sheet as your Character Sheet in the Game Setup page for full compatibility. How do I access the Rise of the Runelords compendium? In any game with a Pathfinder character sheet, travel to the compendium tab (i). There you will see all the Pathfinder compendium entries you have unlocked.  You can view the information on the web here . How do I utilize the Random Encounter Addon? Rise of the Runelords is a very large product. In order to help cut down on game size, we have separated the optional Random Encounter NPCs into the Random Encounter Addon. We recommend only importing this into your game if these optional Random Encounter creatures come into play. For GMs with a Pro Subscription, we recommend creating a GM Only game with this addon integrated, and transmogrifying in creatures when needed. Please note that adding in the Random Encounter Addon into the core module may make the game large enough that duplicating the game will no longer be possible. You can learn about  integrating addons here . Why does (Monster name) have a text token? If there is no licensed art available for a named NPC or monster, we must make a text token as a placeholder. Users are absolutely free to upload a replacement token if they like to their games, of course! Our licensing agreement only covers what's available in the module itself, along with other Pathfinder products if we have the assets. I am experiencing lag, how can I improve performance? Check out the Wiki help article here After following steps there, performance can be improved by removing darkvision on some NPC's. We have already done this on performance heavy maps in the module. Deleting out characters and creatures (10+ sheets) that the party will never encounter again will also help with game lag. How do I use Dynamic Lighting and/or Advanced Fog of War? These features are already built into the module, however they do require a Plus or Pro subscription to utilize. Free users have access to the basic Roll20 Fog of War.
What a titanic work this must have been! Congratulations! It's definitely on my wishlist.
If I already have been running this adventure (using a physical book and fan-made maps), is it possible/advisable to add this digital version of the module to my existing game? Would it cause anything to conflict? 
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
noodles said: If I already have been running this adventure (using a physical book and fan-made maps), is it possible/advisable to add this digital version of the module to my existing game? Would it cause anything to conflict?  If you used the "Pathfinder by Roll20" character sheet for your current game, yes, but I would advise (for load sake) to create a new game with the module, delete everything that has been already played / used (maps and NPCs that won't be re-used again),  and use the character vault to migrate your PC characters from the old game to the new.
Was there any particular reason to use small tokens at 100% unit size instead of 75% with padding? Y'all did it right with tiny tokens at 50%.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
LotsOfLore - It was! I've had it on my own personal wants list for a long time, I'm glad it's out for everyone to enjoy :) Noodles - Natha has the best suggestion! It's a very large game so I would recommend bringing the party (and any relevant handouts, etc) into the game instead of the other way around.  Adam - We have an approved token template that we use for all of our Pathfinder products set to those dimensions. As you are a Pro user, you might enjoy the TokenMod API script for a quick resizing of any Small creatures for your preference? :) 
I have  purchased  The game all I can  access is the  token they no maps or anything can I have some help with this issue thanks 
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi David - it sounds like you've added the Random Encounter Addon instead of the module: Please try creating a new game and choosing "Rise of the Runelords" from the modules on the right hand side of your game creation screen.

Edited 1550762295
I just purchased this and have been playing around with it, and I want to say that this is absolutely amazing. Y'all must have put a ton of work into this and I'm super eager to use this for my next session. I also have a question about how to handle certain tokens. I'm looking at some encounters later in the adventure, specifically monsters at the bottom of Jorgenfist. Some of them are traps and meant to surprise the players, and the tokens are grayed out and not visible to players or in the Tokens layer. But I can't interact with them in the GM info overlay either, I'm not certain how i would display and move these tokens. How exactly are these setup? Thanks. Nevermind, must have been a problem on my end. After trying again in a new browser I was able to interact with the tokens on the GM info layer and move them to the object layer, then everything worked as expected. 
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Richard H. - I'm glad its working for you! Happy gaming :D
I'm about two thirds of the way through converting the sixth and final chapter of RotRL into Roll20 myself from the hardcover, using the original Pathfinder character sheets as well as a number of custom API scripts I have which rely heavily on those sheets. Without being able to see what it actually includes, it's difficult to tell whether it will be at all useful. The reply to noodle suggests it needs the official character sheets, so I'm guessing it'd be a waste of money (especially since I don't need the first five chapters). Does anyone think otherwise?
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi Samuel - This module is created using the Roll20 Official sheet, which uses a different attribute set than the community sheet. From one TTRPG fan to another - If you feel that having all the maps set up with Dynamic Lighting and access to art tokens for creatures would be worth the purchase price, I would recommend picking them up and transmogging just the maps and token page into your current game. As you would not be using the creature sheets, setting up each creature with the community sheet would still be necessary. Thank you for checking in and I hope my answer helps you make a more informed decision :)

Edited 1550985127
Can we see some screenshots? I've seen some other premade modules for DnD and I kind of hated the art assets for the maps. This greatly influences my purchasing decisions. Edit: Sorry I just realized this was a bug thread and not a qa/general discussion
Handout for Ibor Thorn has wrong text in the GM field... Its about the academy.
Trivia said: Hi Samuel - This module is created using the Roll20 Official sheet, which uses a different attribute set than the community sheet. From one TTRPG fan to another - If you feel that having all the maps set up with Dynamic Lighting and access to art tokens for creatures would be worth the purchase price, I would recommend picking them up and transmogging just the maps and token page into your current game. As you would not be using the creature sheets, setting up each creature with the community sheet would still be necessary. Thank you for checking in and I hope my answer helps you make a more informed decision :) The thing is, I've got a pretty large collection of tokens already, many of them done for the previous RotRL chapters or other Roll20 games I've run, so for the bulk of the creatures I already have art for (mostly obtained from various web sources). Because I can download these, I can also create real world tokens for the real table. Since for this campaign I'm using Roll20 to manage the GM side of things, most combat and exploration happens on the dining room table with real figures or tokens. I mostly just use the maps for keeping track of 'off table' or hidden monsters, or sometimes sharing a prettier overview of an area. Something like this:&nbsp; <a href="https://photos.app.goo.gl/5CJr4BHhwbsHFSS3A" rel="nofollow">https://photos.app.goo.gl/5CJr4BHhwbsHFSS3A</a> Pretty much the only map I have to do which is detailed in the main adventure book is the Pinnacle of Avarice, and I have graphics for that already (there's some very nice maps for most of RotRL drawn up by various members of the community). Sketching up the lighting if I want to display it to the players is actually the easy part. The hard part I have left is finishing the stats for the final monsters - which this won't do for me. If there is extra artwork which I don't already have from the actual book which I can display to players to help set the scene, and maybe some sound tracks which aren't part of standard Roll20, then it might be worth it. The completely black box nature of it though means I'm very unlikely to splash down the price if all I'm going to get are some tokens and maps which I don't need. The other marketplace content allows you to see what you're getting - it's a real shame these campaign sets don't do the same.
The journal for Sheriff Belor, while holding his portrait, has the text for Shalelu Andosana. This is the second instant of mismatched journals that I stumbled upon without even looking (the other being Ibor Thorn). Can we expect you going through the journals and cleaning them up? Already I am a bit surprised about the number of tokens with no pictures, and the amount of encounters not supported with a true to scale battlemap, but finding these kinds of errors instills a kind of distrust in all the material, that I will now have to look more careful through before submitting my players to it. Lets hope its only the two journals that are in error, and leave it at that. I will continue to post if I find others, and hope you will be able to fix such errors for ongoing campaigns.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
When Roll20 adapts a print product for VTT, they are limited to the assets available in the original product. If the original product had no artwork for a character, or map for an encounter, they cannot create them without special permission (as was given for a number of Monster Manual entries). In the case of tokens, they fall back on a token with the name of the NPC or monster on it. In the case of an encounter that had no battle scale map, they provide a blank map with parchment texture. Basically, if the book had it, the Roll20 module has it. If the book didn't, the module doesn't. It's a licensing issue. As for the mismatched handouts, that's part of what this thread is for. Roll20 supports modules with periodic patches to correct issues like this. Thanks for your report.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Samuel (And bonebrah): I think I understand better - Bundles in the Marketplace (ie: the Rise link ) do not show the previews for the product. If you click on each individually, then you can see a preview of what's inside (such as the Adventure Module ) Does that help? :) Anders: Thank you for the report on Ibor Thorn and Sheriff. We do patch content with inconsistencies.&nbsp; We bring as faithful as a conversion as possible to the Roll20 platform, following the book text for setting up encounters. Sometimes this means that 10 large ogres are fitting in a 10x10 building. We recommend moving individual encounters to our Random Battle Map which is set up as a 5ft square grid in order to facilitate more tactical play on these maps.&nbsp; And yes, as Keith said - if there's not art for a named character, we are not able to provide any. Text tokens allow the character to be placed for encounters, but GM's are free to upload their own art to use if they desire.&nbsp; Thanks all!
The Goblin Dog monster references a secondary effect from their bite attacks but that mechanic isn’t described anywhere.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Patch 1.1 10' maps updated for ruler functionality Ibor Thorne and Sheriff Belor have been updated to have the correct information in their handouts Added Goblin Dog special quality "Allergic Reaction" to its character sheet Abdominable Snowman and Gamgin have had their tokens updated

Edited 1552625901
I would like to say, this is incredible so far for me who is trying to get their hands on DMing and has always really liked this AP. However, I noticed only a few things, as this is my first time ever really diving into something like this. I did notice that Mayor Kendra Deverin doesn't have a token or a sheet, which I find a little odd considering it seems that they'd be a major player early on in this AP. I've seen pictures for her before and recall her from the books but not seeing her in this AP at all aside from her name. Along with this, maybe this is just how it is meant to be but the Barghest encounter has a mention of it casting Rage and it doesn't list Rage anywhere on its sheet. As well, the encounter has a spell called Crushing Despair but there is no save to it and it does save Will Negates. Other than that, since I'm only at the first chapter, I've not noticed anything else. Edit: Oh, whoops, I just noticed the Handout for the Mayor. It is not hyperlinked in the first mention of her though, so that is my mistake.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
FluffyGinja - I'm glad you got the handout! She doesn't have a statblock, just a quick entry for her level. As there are so many choices to what feats, equipment, and other choices to be made when building an NPC, we leave that text in as is. That way if the GM would like to flesh out an NPC, they have the relevant bit and can build them as they like :) Thank you for the report on the Barghest, I'll look into that and get it updated on my next patch sweep.
Not a bug: Help I accidentally deleted the map token on a map. Is there a way to restore it?
Adam said: Not a bug: Help I accidentally deleted the map token on a map. Is there a way to restore it? I took the long way 'round of making a new campaign and Transmogrifier-ing it back. Hope there's a better solution for non-fancy users. Secondary question, is there a way to change all of the placed tokens to have certain token property check marks on? I want my players to see health bars by default, and doing it manually on every map is a major chore.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Adam said: Secondary question, is there a way to change all of the placed tokens to have certain token property check marks on? I want my players to see health bars by default, and doing it manually on every map is a major chore. Since you are Pro, I'd highly recommend the TokenMod API script. Super fast way to change your pre-placed tokens.
Loren the GM said: Adam said: Secondary question, is there a way to change all of the placed tokens to have certain token property check marks on? I want my players to see health bars by default, and doing it manually on every map is a major chore. Since you are Pro, I'd highly recommend the TokenMod API script. Super fast way to change your pre-placed tokens. Alright, I've enabled to script. What do I do to make the magic happen?

Edited 1552833227
How do you decide which tokens are on the GM layer and which are on the Token layer? For example, in the Thistletop Level 1 map, the Yeth Hounds, which are hiding to ambush, are on the GM layer in area D12. Compare to the Darkmantle, which is hiding to ambush, is on the token layer in area D7.

Edited 1552809053
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Adam said: Loren the GM said: Adam said: Secondary question, is there a way to change all of the placed tokens to have certain token property check marks on? I want my players to see health bars by default, and doing it manually on every map is a major chore. Since you are Pro, I'd highly recommend the TokenMod API script. Super fast way to change your pre-placed tokens. Alright, I've enabled to script. What do I do to make the magic happen? You'll need to make a token macro (make a macro in collections, click the make token macro button at the bottom of the dialog box) that says something like (change whatever the bar number you are using for health):&nbsp; !token-mod --on showplayers_bar1 You can do multiple operations within the single macro using the various operations. Check out the official thread for details or read all the details in the one-click install for your options. Or run the following in game for a list of options:&nbsp; !token-mod --help Edit to replace link to most recent thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4225825/script-update-tokenmod-an-interface-to-adjusting-properties-of-a-token-from-a-macro-or-the-chat-area/?pageforid=4225825#post-4225825" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4225825/script-update-tokenmod-an-interface-to-adjusting-properties-of-a-token-from-a-macro-or-the-chat-area/?pageforid=4225825#post-4225825</a>
Hey, can anybody help me? How do I set all of the "Whisper Rolls To GM" to "Query Whisper" in der character sheets of the NPCs? Or is this something I have to do sheet by sheet? By default they are set to "Always Whisper" which confused the heck out of me last session.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
If you want to adjust it for everyone, you can do so through the Game Settings page (accessed outside of game from your Game Details page), and then applying the settings once adjusted from within your game. Full directions are here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Character_Sheet_Default_Settings" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Character_Sheet_Default_Settings</a> And the specifics of how to apply these settings in game are also on that page, but here is a direct link so it is easier to find:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Applying_Setting_Defaults_to_Existing_Content_In-Game" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Applying_Setting_Defaults_to_Existing_Content_In-Game</a>
Loren the GM said: If you want to adjust it for everyone, you can do so through the Game Settings page (accessed outside of game from your Game Details page), and then applying the settings once adjusted from within your game. Full directions are here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Character_Sheet_Default_Settings" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Character_Sheet_Default_Settings</a> And the specifics of how to apply these settings in game are also on that page, but here is a direct link so it is easier to find:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Applying_Setting_Defaults_to_Existing_Content_In-Game" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Settings_Page#Applying_Setting_Defaults_to_Existing_Content_In-Game</a> Thanks! :D
1) Are you considering translating the module 2)Are you considering selling separated parts of the module ? like map sets or token sets ?
Dean
Roll20 Team
Yxi said: 1) Are you considering translating the module 2)Are you considering selling separated parts of the module ? like map sets or token sets ? Thanks for the questions, Yxi :) 1. Translations on premium licensed product are licensing complex. The publisher often owns the rights to such which they paid translators for and are sold as separate sku's for full price. That said, this kind of initiative is something we would like to see, but there is no gameplan at this time on exactly how to pursue and implement. 2. No plans.
The link to "goblin commando" in the Die, Dog, Die! section of the Swallowtail Festival journal entry goes to a generic goblin and not the goblin commando's character entry.
I created a game with this module, but none of the module stuff is available. I don't get maps, tokens, characters, anything except macros for the encounters. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm having the same problem- nothing has shown up. Excelzn said: I created a game with this module, but none of the module stuff is available. I don't get maps, tokens, characters, anything except macros for the encounters. Am I doing something wrong?
Hello, I have purchased this module and have tried everything I can think of, but it just will not load. I create a new game and select the module on the right, wait a few minutes for it to be ready, launch game, and all I get is a blank grid with nothing in any of the tabs or pages. I have disabled addons and extensions, cleared cache, and I have tested other free modules and they work just fine. Please advise.
Just purchased the module. Same Problem as above. Nothing will load
Having the same problem, just purchased. I have macros, and nothing else. I've tried it in Firefox as well as Chrome, with no luck. Planning on using this for a game tomorrow, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Experiencing the same issues as above. When creating new games after loading module no maps or journal notes load. A previously-created version of the game functions perfectly fine, but copies of this version result in an empty game as well.&nbsp;
I'm a new gm to roll20 and trying to launch and play the Rise of the runelords anniversary campaign, however nothing is really loading in, no maps or module or really much of anything. I've waited several minutes and still nothing has popped up? Where do i go to claim the $60 worth of stuff i brought? please help. Thanks so much in advance.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi folks - We are looking into this issue ASAP, thank you very much for your reports!
Jsou hlášený problémy u serveru v Sobotních Dnech? Jsem z Czech Republic a tady docela v sobotu blbne Roll20
Puh and i thought i was doing something wrong. I can't get the Game to create anything as well. Everything's blank only Macros are available.
Any updates?
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Apologies for the wait folks, this has become a bigger issue than initially anticipated, we are still investigating. So far this is only affecting this one Marketplace product

Edited 1554831487
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
IMPORTANT NOTICE - April 9, 2019 A change in our Firebase solution is resulting in some customers experiencing difficulty installing Rise of the Runelords. If you are affected, please email <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> with the title "RotR Install Help" and we will help you get your game installed within the next 24 hours while our developers implement a global solution. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for your patience, everyone! We put out a hotfix this evening that makes it so you can now create games with this module and its add-on.
RotRL AE loaded today! Excellent work getting a Hotfix out quickly! I did notice some broken links in the Sandpoint Hinterlands encounters journal page.&nbsp; For example, Ghouls, Will-o'-wisp, and Sandpoint Devil are not loading.