Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Savage Worlds character sheet suggestions

As I have no idea how this is meant to go I'll just start a thread for how the Savage Worlds character sheet could be improved. 1) The Melee and Strength Damage Quick Macros ask for your Strength Die which it could get automatically since the Attribute has already been given on the sheet. 2) Wounds and Fatigue should affect Attribute tests.
The drop down value for attributes and skills should go past d12. If you are playing a super hero setting for example a character can easily have a d12+4 strength, or in a base game having a base skill modifier of +1 or +2 to all checks is sort of common. Having to constantly input this bonus into a modifier pop up is a bit annoying it would be better if you could just set it to always be included.
Wounds and Fatigues would work better if they were a value rather than a checkbox. Because: 1) It makes all of the macros really ugly to have to do SelectedTarget!Wound1 - SelectedTarget!Wound2 - SelectedTarget!Wound3, etc. 2) You can't use the three bubbles on the token to update those values. We use Red to be the wounds and Green to be Fatigue. It's helpful to see those on the token, but you can't do that with this setup. Wish you didn't have to be a mentor to change these things.
John R. said: The drop down value for attributes and skills should go past d12. If you are playing a super hero setting for example a character can easily have a d12+4 strength, or in a base game having a base skill modifier of +1 or +2 to all checks is sort of common. Having to constantly input this bonus into a modifier pop up is a bit annoying it would be better if you could just set it to always be included. technically attributes are just text so you could put anything in there. Question does the +# apply only o the skill die or the wild die as well? if the former then it's an easy fix. If the latter then it's not so easy.
Maetco said: As I have no idea how this is meant to go I'll just start a thread for how the Savage Worlds character sheet could be improved. 1) The Melee and Strength Damage Quick Macros ask for your Strength Die which it could get automatically since the Attribute has already been given on the sheet. 2) Wounds and Fatigue should affect Attribute tests. I also noticed that I had wounds effecting damage rolls. I don't think this is the case.
Paladintodd said: Wounds and Fatigues would work better if they were a value rather than a checkbox. Because: 1) It makes all of the macros really ugly to have to do SelectedTarget!Wound1 - SelectedTarget!Wound2 - SelectedTarget!Wound3, etc. 2) You can't use the three bubbles on the token to update those values. We use Red to be the wounds and Green to be Fatigue. It's helpful to see those on the token, but you can't do that with this setup. Wish you didn't have to be a mentor to change these things. 1. true, it does make the macro a bit ugly, this can be fixed with inline macros I have been experimenting with. Otherwise I could just have a value. If there is more complaints I could just make it a value, but for now, I think it's better on the sheet with the checkboxes. 2. If I linked in the bar values, then I am locking everyone into using those values. If there is a consensus as to what values should be used for what bar I am more than happy to accommodate. Until then, I am using just attributes for everything.
It would be nice if all of the dice rolls from the sheet used the [[]] format (inline roll?) so that the chat window was cleaner and easier to read. It would also be nice if there were some text to tell you what the roll was. So a fighting roll from the character sheet looks like: That's a lot of stuff you don't need to see and there's no text to tell you what type of roll it was. My macros look like this: Fighting [[{1d@{Selected|Fighting}!, 1d6!}kh1 + ?{Modifier|0} -@{Selected|Wounds}[Wounds] -@{Selected|Fatigue}[Fatigue] ]] With output looking like: You can put the mouse over the number to see all the details.
my fork is located here: <a href="https://github.com/herrozerro/roll20-character-she" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/herrozerro/roll20-character-she</a>... I have made the following changes that are not live: Fixed attributes to have wound modifiers removed wound modifiers from damage given d12+1-4 to skills, made attributes like skills with dropdowns. fixed the misc roll added an exploding misc roll added sanity and a psychosis box, hidden by default, can be changed with savageworldshorror.css
Paladintodd said: It would be nice if all of the dice rolls from the sheet used the [[]] format (inline roll?) so that the chat window was cleaner and easier to read. It would also be nice if there were some text to tell you what the roll was. So a fighting roll from the character sheet looks like: That's a lot of stuff you don't need to see and there's no text to tell you what type of roll it was. My macros look like this: Fighting [[{1d@{Selected|Fighting}!, 1d6!}kh1 + ?{Modifier|0} -@{Selected|Wounds}[Wounds] -@{Selected|Fatigue}[Fatigue] ]] With output looking like: You can put the mouse over the number to see all the details. I've actually been experimenting with inline rolls. as well as possibly adding in target number and raises like so: would this interest anyone? or is just getting the number good enough?
&gt;&gt; 2. If I linked in the bar values, then I am locking everyone into using those values. If there is a consensus as to what values should be used for what bar I am more than happy to accommodate. Until then, I am using just attributes for everything. No, it wouldn't force anyone to do that. It would just be one Attribute for Wounds and Fatigue. On the Token - not the character sheet - you tie the attribute to the bars. So you can make that change without impacting anything else.
Paladintodd said: &gt;&gt; 2. If I linked in the bar values, then I am locking everyone into using those values. If there is a consensus as to what values should be used for what bar I am more than happy to accommodate. Until then, I am using just attributes for everything. No, it wouldn't force anyone to do that. It would just be one Attribute for Wounds and Fatigue. On the Token - not the character sheet - you tie the attribute to the bars. So you can make that change without impacting anything else. Ah, I see now, so having the checkboxes stops people from using it that way. I'll revise it.
I've actually been experimenting with inline rolls. as well as possibly adding in target number and raises like so: would this interest anyone? or is just getting the number good enough? Number is good enough for me. Frequently, the players "forget" a modifier or two so reporting successes would be wrong anyways. Now, reporting successes on Damage rolls might be handy. Counting by 4s seems to be trouble for some players. :)
And in the "Todd may be too anal" category: Some of the created attributes are in lower case (agility, fighting) while others are capitalized (Boating). Some would look nicer in camel-case (pacemod would be nicer as PaceMod).
For wounds and fatigue, should they be positive numbers that I subtract? or negative numbers I add?
Paladintodd said: I've actually been experimenting with inline rolls. as well as possibly adding in target number and raises like so: would this interest anyone? or is just getting the number good enough? Number is good enough for me. Frequently, the players "forget" a modifier or two so reporting successes would be wrong anyways. Now, reporting successes on Damage rolls might be handy. Counting by 4s seems to be trouble for some players. :) I'm adding a raise calculator under quick macros. Should solve the issues.

Edited 1401380092
Josiah B.
Sheet Author
Created a pull request. Not sure when it'll go live.but for now the latest sheet can be found here for mentors. <a href="https://github.com/herrozerro/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/SavageWorlds" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/herrozerro/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/SavageWorlds</a> Split wound and fatigue into fields Fixed macros added d12+1-4 to skills and attributes. added raise calculator.
just checked, latest version is live.
Josiah B. said: For wounds and fatigue, should they be positive numbers that I subtract? or negative numbers I add? Positive numbers that you subtract, so that bars will work with them.
Gave the new sheet a quick test, looking good!
Just messing around with this and some of the quick macros don't seem to work right, might just be me though. The Strength Damage macro doesn't end up rolling anything. Unskilled roll asks for a die type even though its should always be a d4-2 unless theres some edge i'm unaware of. Misc Rolls (Exploding) doesn't explode. None of the d12+x settings work for any of the trait rolls. It might also be good to have a text box to list any temporary or permanent wounds and associated penalties.
cursingbulldog said: Just messing around with this and some of the quick macros don't seem to work right, might just be me though. The Strength Damage macro doesn't end up rolling anything. Unskilled roll asks for a die type even though its should always be a d4-2 unless theres some edge i'm unaware of. Misc Rolls (Exploding) doesn't explode. None of the d12+x settings work for any of the trait rolls. It might also be good to have a text box to list any temporary or permanent wounds and associated penalties. Strength damage had an issue, a /r left over from when I inlined everything. Unskilled will be fixed Misc Exploding will be fixed. The d12+x is an issue though. It doesnt like 1d12+1!, it wants the ! right after the die. So in order for it to work it I would need to carry 12!, 12!+1, 12!+2, etc.. Edit: after testing it, it seems like the ! is ignored in the math elsewhere! It might just work!
Changes are in, they can be found on my fork or whenever the next pull request happens.
I've been looking into how to make unskilled work as part of the skill macro rather than relying on the unskilled quick macro. I have come up with a solution and just wanted to ask what everyone thought. It involves having another check next to the skill like so. Basically all this checkbox does is toggle a -2 modifier in the macro. What do you think?
That seems like a better way of doing it, although checking the box for a trained skill seems more intuitive to me.
cursingbulldog said: That seems like a better way of doing it, although checking the box for a trained skill seems more intuitive to me. done. latest version is up on the fork.
Another question for everyone. I just realized (or rather it was made possible without me knowing) that you can use macro buttons within a repeating fieldset. Which means that the additional skills entry can now have macros. The question is though, should skills be replaced by a fieldset with perhaps fighting as the only permanent skill (because it's needed in calculating parry). Thoughts? Pros are that skills could be a small list that you have, and anything untrained the quick macro could handle. Cons are that at this time there is no way to reference a attribute outside of the fieldset row (that I know of outside of the api).
Josiah B. said: Another question for everyone. I just realized (or rather it was made possible without me knowing) that you can use macro buttons within a repeating fieldset. Which means that the additional skills entry can now have macros. The question is though, should skills be replaced by a fieldset with perhaps fighting as the only permanent skill (because it's needed in calculating parry). Thoughts? Pros are that skills could be a small list that you have, and anything untrained the quick macro could handle. Cons are that at this time there is no way to reference a attribute outside of the fieldset row (that I know of outside of the api). I didn't really understand how the fieldset would work I can't really say anything about that but I feel that having a list of all the "normal" skills and a roll button next to them is better than not having that list of skills visible because it really helps people who aren't really familiar with the system to know/remember what skills the system even has. Ps. Thank you so much for your hard and speedy work!
Maetco said: Josiah B. said: Another question for everyone. I just realized (or rather it was made possible without me knowing) that you can use macro buttons within a repeating fieldset. Which means that the additional skills entry can now have macros. The question is though, should skills be replaced by a fieldset with perhaps fighting as the only permanent skill (because it's needed in calculating parry). Thoughts? Pros are that skills could be a small list that you have, and anything untrained the quick macro could handle. Cons are that at this time there is no way to reference a attribute outside of the fieldset row (that I know of outside of the api). I didn't really understand how the fieldset would work I can't really say anything about that but I feel that having a list of all the "normal" skills and a roll button next to them is better than not having that list of skills visible because it really helps people who aren't really familiar with the system to know/remember what skills the system even has. Ps. Thank you so much for your hard and speedy work! True, Having the default skills is more user friendly. How the fieldset would work is have all skills function like the additional skills, it's just a list you fill in as you go.
Basically all this checkbox does is toggle a -2 modifier in the macro. What do you think? Did the STR values of d12+2 get working? If so, can't we also have a d4-2 be the default for each skill? Whenever this comes up in our game, the player just says "I don't have that" and rolls the unskilled macro we have for the d4-2. I don't think the character sheet really needs to worry about it - other than it being clear on the sheet that you don't have that skill.
True, Having the default skills is more user friendly. How the fieldset would work is have all skills function like the additional skills, it's just a list you fill in as you go. And having the skills makes macro writing much easier as well, right? If fieldsets makes macros more complicated, I wouldn't want that. I don't see my group using the character sheet other than it being an easier way to enter attributes in Roll20. We'll still be using the token macro bar to do 90% of the rolling and generic dice on the lower macro bar to do the rest.
Paladintodd said: Basically all this checkbox does is toggle a -2 modifier in the macro. What do you think? Did the STR values of d12+2 get working? If so, can't we also have a d4-2 be the default for each skill? Whenever this comes up in our game, the player just says "I don't have that" and rolls the unskilled macro we have for the d4-2. I don't think the character sheet really needs to worry about it - other than it being clear on the sheet that you don't have that skill. well the math is not the same. the macro is [[{1d@{skill}, 1d6!}kh1]]. For d12+2 the math is [[{1d12!+2, 1d6!}kh1]]. For unskilled it's [[{1d@{skill}, 1d6!}kh1 - 2]]. So you cant have the -2 in the same place as the 12+#. How I got around it is with a flag that works like this: [[{1d@{skill}, 1d6}kh1]] - ((1 - isTrained) * 2)
Josiah B. said: Maetco said: Josiah B. said: Another question for everyone. I just realized (or rather it was made possible without me knowing) that you can use macro buttons within a repeating fieldset. Which means that the additional skills entry can now have macros. The question is though, should skills be replaced by a fieldset with perhaps fighting as the only permanent skill (because it's needed in calculating parry). Thoughts? Pros are that skills could be a small list that you have, and anything untrained the quick macro could handle. Cons are that at this time there is no way to reference a attribute outside of the fieldset row (that I know of outside of the api). I didn't really understand how the fieldset would work I can't really say anything about that but I feel that having a list of all the "normal" skills and a roll button next to them is better than not having that list of skills visible because it really helps people who aren't really familiar with the system to know/remember what skills the system even has. Ps. Thank you so much for your hard and speedy work! True, Having the default skills is more user friendly. How the fieldset would work is have all skills function like the additional skills, it's just a list you fill in as you go. Ok, thanks for the clarification. In that case I still feel that all the default skills should be visible / listed automatically.
Latest version is up. Additional skills now have macros Skills have a trained box for untrained math Setting rules are incorporated into the sheet. Horror rules include sanity and psychosis Cyberpunk has strain and augments
You asked in a different thread if there were some system rules we'd like to see implemented on the sheet. We play Deadlands Reloaded and it uses Grit stat. Could this be added as a Setting Rule Derived stat?
Maetco said: You asked in a different thread if there were some system rules we'd like to see implemented on the sheet. We play Deadlands Reloaded and it uses Grit stat. Could this be added as a Setting Rule Derived stat? You'll have to explain it to me a little more. Is it just a stat? what does it effect? what effects it?
Could a Benny (current bennies, can be tied to a bar) and BennyMax (max the character can have) be added to the character sheet?

Edited 1401902191
Josiah B.
Sheet Author
Paladintodd said: Could a Benny (current bennies, can be tied to a bar) and BennyMax (max the character can have) be added to the character sheet? you can tie any attribute to a bar. I'll make a Benny attribue and put it on the sheet. Edit: Added benny attribute and max. Waiting for pull.
Josiah B. said: Maetco said: You asked in a different thread if there were some system rules we'd like to see implemented on the sheet. We play Deadlands Reloaded and it uses Grit stat. Could this be added as a Setting Rule Derived stat? You'll have to explain it to me a little more. Is it just a stat? what does it effect? what effects it? Sorry for the delay in my response time :) Grit is a stat that is connected to the Rank of the character. You get +1 per Rank (Novise 1, Seasoned 2, Veteran 3, etc.). There are also Edges and Hindrances that affect Grit so a modifier column should be added. You add Grit to your Guts (a skill in Deadlands) rolls as a bonus.
Maetco said: Josiah B. said: Maetco said: You asked in a different thread if there were some system rules we'd like to see implemented on the sheet. We play Deadlands Reloaded and it uses Grit stat. Could this be added as a Setting Rule Derived stat? You'll have to explain it to me a little more. Is it just a stat? what does it effect? what effects it? Sorry for the delay in my response time :) Grit is a stat that is connected to the Rank of the character. You get +1 per Rank (Novise 1, Seasoned 2, Veteran 3, etc.). There are also Edges and Hindrances that affect Grit so a modifier column should be added. You add Grit to your Guts (a skill in Deadlands) rolls as a bonus. I could add a deadlands setting rule area with grit and guts?
Josiah B. said: Maetco said: Josiah B. said: Maetco said: You asked in a different thread if there were some system rules we'd like to see implemented on the sheet. We play Deadlands Reloaded and it uses Grit stat. Could this be added as a Setting Rule Derived stat? You'll have to explain it to me a little more. Is it just a stat? what does it effect? what effects it? Sorry for the delay in my response time :) Grit is a stat that is connected to the Rank of the character. You get +1 per Rank (Novise 1, Seasoned 2, Veteran 3, etc.). There are also Edges and Hindrances that affect Grit so a modifier column should be added. You add Grit to your Guts (a skill in Deadlands) rolls as a bonus. I could add a deadlands setting rule area with grit and guts? That would be nice.
I'm a total roll20 novice and really appreciate having the SW character sheet to get a SW game started. I know I'll probably need to create some of my own macros for custom situations, but it is a great kick-off tool. Something I may have totally missed though (please help) - is there a toggle to use the sheet for Extras? It seems to always roll as Wild Card, even if I set EXP in the negative or whatever. It would be much more useful if there was a setting to use the same sheet for Extras.
Ryan M. said: I'm a total roll20 novice and really appreciate having the SW character sheet to get a SW game started. I know I'll probably need to create some of my own macros for custom situations, but it is a great kick-off tool. Something I may have totally missed though (please help) - is there a toggle to use the sheet for Extras? It seems to always roll as Wild Card, even if I set EXP in the negative or whatever. It would be much more useful if there was a setting to use the same sheet for Extras. That is a good point. I'll see what I can do. For now the Misc Roll Exploding should work.
The best way to do this would probably be to do it the way the Pathfinder PC / NPC is done but that would probably reguire a lot of extra work (I don't know though). This would be a nice addition but I don't feel it's a must have since Extras are...well, just Extras. I don't even give my Extras fixed stats, I just wing it by clicking an appropriate macro button. I have created one for d4 - d12+2 without wild die. I hope that made even the slightest amount of sence.
Maetco said: The best way to do this would probably be to do it the way the Pathfinder PC / NPC is done but that would probably reguire a lot of extra work (I don't know though). This would be a nice addition but I don't feel it's a must have since Extras are...well, just Extras. I don't even give my Extras fixed stats, I just wing it by clicking an appropriate macro button. I have created one for d4 - d12+2 without wild die. I hope that made even the slightest amount of sence. I had thought about doing an extra sheet in that same vein... But in all honesty the only difference is the lack of wild die. Extras could theoretically be as complex as wildcards with the exception of the wild die. So that means either a carbon copy of the sheet without the wild die, giving every macro a wild die variable or just using the sheet and using the Misc Roll (Exploding) Option. I could put an extra macro that just accepts die type rather than number of dice as well.
Josiah B. said: Maetco said: The best way to do this would probably be to do it the way the Pathfinder PC / NPC is done but that would probably reguire a lot of extra work (I don't know though). This would be a nice addition but I don't feel it's a must have since Extras are...well, just Extras. I don't even give my Extras fixed stats, I just wing it by clicking an appropriate macro button. I have created one for d4 - d12+2 without wild die. I hope that made even the slightest amount of sence. I had thought about doing an extra sheet in that same vein... But in all honesty the only difference is the lack of wild die. Extras could theoretically be as complex as wildcards with the exception of the wild die. So that means either a carbon copy of the sheet without the wild die, giving every macro a wild die variable or just using the sheet and using the Misc Roll (Exploding) Option. I could put an extra macro that just accepts die type rather than number of dice as well. Like I said I don't feel it's necessary to have a whole new Extra subsheet but to be honest there are more differences between Wild Cards and Extras than there are PCs and NPCs in Pathfinder. Extras don't have Bennies, Wild Die or Wounds and since they are created in a different manner compared to Wild Cards they at least in most cases don't have Rank either. NPCs in Pathfinder on the other hand are created exactly the same way as PCs and PCs don't (to my knowledge) have any special rules that are based on them being PCs.

Edited 1402667355
Just ran my first game with my players using this sheet. Players liked it pretty well but had a few thoughts. 1st was that they'd like a small box to separate their money from the rest of their gear. We are playing noir so cash is a bit more important of a resource in that as it’s used for both purchasing guns and social interactions. Second is maybe something we just missed but if there would be a way to set some of the skill rolls to the macro quick bar? They used the sheet during the more investigative scenes but during combat and for other 1 off roles they mostly just used the macros we had previously set up. And my thoughts on extra rolls would be to set up the sheet similar to how you have the horror and cyber punk areas toggle able. This way GMs and players could hide any areas they don't need, and show the areas they want. It would also allow Players to keep the stats handy if they have a sidekick or follower NPC for an extended amount of time or GMs to have stats for a WC npc and his henchmen but only need 1 sheet up. And Maetco the only functional difference between extras and WCs would be the wild die. Wounds wouldn't really factor because as soon as an extra takes one hes out, and bennies are better handled using a special deck then trying to manage on a sheet. Besides that WC's and extras fuction identically.
cursingbulldog said: Just ran my first game with my players using this sheet. Players liked it pretty well but had a few thoughts. 1st was that they'd like a small box to separate their money from the rest of their gear. We are playing noir so cash is a bit more important of a resource in that as it’s used for both purchasing guns and social interactions. Second is maybe something we just missed but if there would be a way to set some of the skill rolls to the macro quick bar? They used the sheet during the more investigative scenes but during combat and for other 1 off roles they mostly just used the macros we had previously set up. And my thoughts on extra rolls would be to set up the sheet similar to how you have the horror and cyber punk areas toggle able. This way GMs and players could hide any areas they don't need, and show the areas they want. It would also allow Players to keep the stats handy if they have a sidekick or follower NPC for an extended amount of time or GMs to have stats for a WC npc and his henchmen but only need 1 sheet up. And Maetco the only functional difference between extras and WCs would be the wild die. Wounds wouldn't really factor because as soon as an extra takes one hes out, and bennies are better handled using a special deck then trying to manage on a sheet. Besides that WC's and extras fuction identically. Is there a reason why money needs to be tracked in a separate field? Is it needed in macros or just a dedicated place would be better? At this time, there is no way (I know of) to utilize the skill macros on the macro bar. If anyone knows the way to do it, I am more than happy to try. I would suggest just opening up the sheet when you need it and double clicking the top to hide it when you do not need it. As for your extra suggestion. what exactly do you mean by toggle able? what would be in this toggle area? Just throwing this out there, but would anyone like to see a repeating section like the additional skills that is a very basic extra field? so players can add in multiple characters?
By toggable I mean similar to how you have the two settings rules sections, tick the box and it expands to show the full area, untick it and it shrinks down to just a heading. And I would think having something like a slimed down version of the WC section, just attributes, maybe fighting, maybe the derived stats and maybe a small notes field, any other needed skills could be added manually. I think they wanted the money seperate just so it was easier to see and not get lost with all the other gear. Alot faster to decide if you can afford to bribe a guy if there is a dedicated spot to look at.
Josiah B. said: ...I could add a deadlands setting rule area with grit and guts? I got the impression that you were about to create the Deadlands rule area with Grit and Guts but I haven't seen any updates on the Sheet. I'm not complaining or anything. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the reasons (lack of time, holiday, lack of interest, forgetting...).

Edited 1404915019
Paladintodd
KS Backer
You can't get character sheet macros to the Macro Bar (the one at the bottom), but your can get them to the Token Bar (at the top). Go to the Settings tab (the gear button), add a new macro, and check the "Show as Token Action". This will make the macro show up on the Token bar when a token is selected. The macro then looks like this (this is Intimidation, but the others are all similar, just change the attribute name): Intimidation [[{1d@{Selected|Intimidation}!, 1d6!}kh1 + ?{Modifier|0} -@{Selected|Wound}[Wounds] -@{Selected|Fatigue}[Fatigue] ] My game has a dozen or so token macros for the most common stuff and then macros for the generic stuff along the bottom (Ranged Damage, Melee Damage, dice roll buttons). Players almost never open the character sheet. BTW, sheet is working great. Thanks.
Hmm, I used to explain that stuff on the wiki, but looks like someone took it out of the page. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Savage_Worlds</a>