Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

CombatMaster 2.0

Edited 1612381891
Jay R. said: Aaron M. said: Hi, this has probably been asked before, but I can't find the answer anywhere. How would one roll multiple enemies into the initiative table after combat has started while keeping everybody else in the initiative order they were previously? I can do it individually but when you have 20-30 tokens you need to roll initiative for it slows down the combat quite a bit. Thanks Aaron. Depends what initiative system you're using. CM offers the option to either use its own initiative system (which I can't speak to, having never used it) or The Aaron's Group Initiative script (which I use, and which you can install from the one-click). To add more baddies after combat has started, select them all and run the !group-init command (you'll want to run !group-init --help to set up the script options first, though.). All monsters you select will add to initiative. I use grouo-init in tandem with Kurt's excellent EncounterHelper script (also available from the one-click). Adding different groups of monsters to combat is easy and efficient once you play around with the options. I'll have a look at all that and see what I can figure out. thanks. now the next question: I am trying to figure out how to get CM to do the concentration rolls, I am using OGL 5e sheet, and I can get CM to assign the correct tokens for the correct amount of time on the targets / caster for concentration spells, and I have set CM to look at bar1 for damage and use the correct stat from the sheet to add to the roll, the only issue is that when I subtract from bar1 it is not asking for a concentration save, or even rolling a concentration save for the token.  now I could use the concentration API script but I would prefer to use Combat master if possible.
Aaron M. said: I'll have a look at all that and see what I can figure out. thanks. now the next question: I am trying to figure out how to get CM to do the concentration rolls, I am using OGL 5e sheet, and I can get CM to assign the correct tokens for the correct amount of time on the targets / caster for concentration spells, and I have set CM to look at bar1 for damage and use the correct stat from the sheet to add to the roll, the only issue is that when I subtract from bar1 it is not asking for a concentration save, or even rolling a concentration save for the token.  now I could use the concentration API script but I would prefer to use Combat master if possible. OK, so CM won't auto-roll the concentration save. It will just send a reminder to chat. That's one thing. If you really need auto-rolls, you might want to check out the old Concentration script (though part of the reason I switched from that script to CM was because the auto-rolls stopped working for me with the old script, which has not been updated in years). On the subject of the reminders not showing, I have recently discovered that they only show up if you subtract directly from the token bar or update the character sheet. In other words, the reminders won't appear if you, like me, use a Tokenmod-based macro to handle damage. 
Jay R. said: Aaron M. said: I'll have a look at all that and see what I can figure out. thanks. now the next question: I am trying to figure out how to get CM to do the concentration rolls, I am using OGL 5e sheet, and I can get CM to assign the correct tokens for the correct amount of time on the targets / caster for concentration spells, and I have set CM to look at bar1 for damage and use the correct stat from the sheet to add to the roll, the only issue is that when I subtract from bar1 it is not asking for a concentration save, or even rolling a concentration save for the token.  now I could use the concentration API script but I would prefer to use Combat master if possible. OK, so CM won't auto-roll the concentration save. It will just send a reminder to chat. That's one thing. If you really need auto-rolls, you might want to check out the old Concentration script (though part of the reason I switched from that script to CM was because the auto-rolls stopped working for me with the old script, which has not been updated in years). On the subject of the reminders not showing, I have recently discovered that they only show up if you subtract directly from the token bar or update the character sheet. In other words, the reminders won't appear if you, like me, use a Tokenmod-based macro to handle damage.  I'll have a go using the character sheet but the reminders were not showing when subtracting straight from the token bar (I assume by this you mean using the circles above the token) and I do use token mod, but I don't want to take too much away from the players, so only really use ot to randomise token HP etc.
Aaron M. said: I'll have a go using the character sheet but the reminders were not showing when subtracting straight from the token bar (I assume by this you mean using the circles above the token) and I do use token mod, but I don't want to take too much away from the players, so only really use ot to randomise token HP etc. Hmm. That's strange. They should show up when using those circles, yes. Dumb questions, but just in case, in the Concentration menu: Is the Check for Save option set to true? Is Notify set to GM or everyone, or is it set to Character? Is your Wound Bar set to bar1, or Bar1?
This is the same problem I have, as well. Subtracting from Bar1 does not trigger any output from CombatMaster at all. Jay R. said: Aaron M. said: I'll have a go using the character sheet but the reminders were not showing when subtracting straight from the token bar (I assume by this you mean using the circles above the token) and I do use token mod, but I don't want to take too much away from the players, so only really use ot to randomise token HP etc. Hmm. That's strange. They should show up when using those circles, yes. Dumb questions, but just in case, in the Concentration menu: Is the Check for Save option set to true? Is Notify set to GM or everyone, or is it set to Character? Is your Wound Bar set to bar1, or Bar1?
Colin C. said: This is the same problem I have, as well. Subtracting from Bar1 does not trigger any output from CombatMaster at all. Huh. I just went into my test campaign and subtracted damage from Bar1 (using the radial token buttons) and Combat Master popped up the Concentration reminder, along with the DC.  Does the spell that should trigger concentration have the Concentration option set to true? I know there was some weird behavior with the Wound Bar option in CM at some point, where setting Bar1 instead of bar1 would cause problems. Victor can clarify. That's really the only thing I can think of, at this point. 
i tried using this. and ended up turning it off last session because it would start a timer on each character's turn on the Turn Order and when the timer reaches zero would advance to the next character in the Turn Order automatically.  This was extremely annoying.  Anyway to turn this off?  Why is this on by default?
aisforanagrams said: i tried using this. and ended up turning it off last session because it would start a timer on each character's turn on the Turn Order and when the timer reaches zero would advance to the next character in the Turn Order automatically.  This was extremely annoying.  Anyway to turn this off?  Why is this on by default? Run !cmaster --main, click the gear, click Timer, and set Turn Timer to off.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Every menu has a help file.  Click on the circle with the "I" in it in the upper right corner of each menu.  The Info icon is the standard help (or information icon) in any system.  For you, when you get to the setup panel, click on the gear icon from the main menu, you'll see all the panels that you can access to configure CM.  Read that help file.  
Victor B. said: Every menu has a help file.  Click on the circle with the "I" in it in the upper right corner of each menu.  The Info icon is the standard help (or information icon) in any system.  For you, when you get to the setup panel, click on the gear icon from the main menu, you'll see all the panels that you can access to configure CM.  Read that help file.   Indeed, but I will say, in aisforanagrams's defense, that I think the Timer really shouldn't be on by default. IMO it's a niche feature, and not something most users are going to want enabled out of the box. 
Jay R. said: Indeed, but I will say, in aisforanagrams's defense, that I don't think the Timer really shouldn't be on by default. IMO it's a niche feature, and not something most users are going to want enabled out of the box.  Agreed. 
Marius said: Where am I messing up this API call to sett advantage on adding a condition in CM: {{!setattr {{--charid charidentifier}} {{--silent}} {{--replace}} {{--advantagetoggle|' {{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=\lbrak\lbrak\at{d20}' }}}} {{--rtype|'\at{advantagetoggle}'}}}} It runs, but messes up the advantage setting. This version runs correctly as a macro: !setattr --sel --silent --replace --advantagetoggle|'{{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=\lbrak\lbrak\at{d20}' --rtype|'\at{advantagetoggle}' I have hit my head against this wall for many hours.  The problem is CM recognizes the double curly bracket ({{,}}) as beginning or ending a new command line, so it seperates it out in the API call. It does not seem to recognize the single tick quotes that should enter the phrase without coding. I tried doing html substitution, but that did not work either. I tried making a macro to call, but it does not transfer the target to the macro and throws an error every time.  Even with the token selected, the CM status clears the selected token before the macro calls. The only way I could find to make it work is to make a custom macro using the ChatSetAttr command that uses a query to specify which character it affects, and making the status or condition call that macro. It adds a button click, but it does otherwise work So... make a macro called something like CMAdvantage and code it thusly: !setattr --name ?{Who?|Player1,<player1name>|Player2,<player2name>|...} --silent --replace --advantagetoggle|'{{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=\lbrak\lbrak\at{d20}' --rtype|'\at{advantagetoggle}' I used this for a couple sessions, but decided it was easier just to make an Advantage Toggle macro using your given command line that I could control anytime, and have CM send a reminder in the description to toggle advantage for that status. IMO, having CM toggle advantage will get you into more trouble than it is worth, because the conditions for advantage are specific to individual checks and rolls, so you shouldn't give blanket advantage to a character. A condition may give advantage to one roll type, but you will have to remember to return advantage toggle to Normal immediately following that roll, or they will roll advantage on everything until the condition is removed.
So is CM supposed to announce the turns for all tokens in a combat? or just PCs? all I'm seeing currently are the PCs being announced in chat.
I'm running a game in Pathfinder 2E. I know that the initiative modifier is dependent on the combat situation (usually perception, sometimes stealth, diplomacy for social combat, etc.) Is there a way to set up the initiative to ask what skill to use?
Thank you for the feedback. I'm running with a set of token action macros currently, which works nicely. However I thought that by using CM I could automstically revert advantage/disadvantage after one round. CatSwann said: Marius said: Where am I messing up this API call to sett advantage on adding a condition in CM: {{!setattr {{--charid charidentifier}} {{--silent}} {{--replace}} {{--advantagetoggle|' {{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=\lbrak\lbrak\at{d20}' }}}} {{--rtype|'\at{advantagetoggle}'}}}} It runs, but messes up the advantage setting. This version runs correctly as a macro: !setattr --sel --silent --replace --advantagetoggle|'{{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=\lbrak\lbrak\at{d20}' --rtype|'\at{advantagetoggle}' I have hit my head against this wall for many hours.  The problem is CM recognizes the double curly bracket ({{,}}) as beginning or ending a new command line, so it seperates it out in the API call. It does not seem to recognize the single tick quotes that should enter the phrase without coding. I tried doing html substitution, but that did not work either. I tried making a macro to call, but it does not transfer the target to the macro and throws an error every time.  Even with the token selected, the CM status clears the selected token before the macro calls. The only way I could find to make it work is to make a custom macro using the ChatSetAttr command that uses a query to specify which character it affects, and making the status or condition call that macro. It adds a button click, but it does otherwise work So... make a macro called something like CMAdvantage and code it thusly: !setattr --name ?{Who?|Player1,<player1name>|Player2,<player2name>|...} --silent --replace --advantagetoggle|'{{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=\lbrak\lbrak\at{d20}' --rtype|'\at{advantagetoggle}' I used this for a couple sessions, but decided it was easier just to make an Advantage Toggle macro using your given command line that I could control anytime, and have CM send a reminder in the description to toggle advantage for that status. IMO, having CM toggle advantage will get you into more trouble than it is worth, because the conditions for advantage are specific to individual checks and rolls, so you shouldn't give blanket advantage to a character. A condition may give advantage to one roll type, but you will have to remember to return advantage toggle to Normal immediately following that roll, or they will roll advantage on everything until the condition is removed.
Steven W. said: I'm running a game in Pathfinder 2E. I know that the initiative modifier is dependent on the combat situation (usually perception, sometimes stealth, diplomacy for social combat, etc.) Is there a way to set up the initiative to ask what skill to use? Not within CombatMaster or GroupInit, unfortunately (at least not that I've found). For NPCs I usually try to set the Initiative skill ahead of time on the sheet, since that's most often determined before game as the GM. For PCs, I find it's easiest to just let the party roll their own.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No, there's not that much flexibility.  If you want to go that route, let everyone roll their own init
@Victor, I feel like this might be why everyone has issues setting custom turn marker graphics <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9800513/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/9800513/</a>
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Could be.&nbsp; I need to spend some time today and figure out why the custom markers aren't working.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Hi, just installed this. I'm wondering if there's a handy list of commands anywhere. I've put together 4 custom marker lists of 100+ markers, and I need to configure CM to recognise them, and preferably give my players access to a macro to allow them to apply the markers on their own. Can I do that within the API itself, or do I need to go into the code, edit, then reinstall?
@Jimmy, use !cmaster --main to get the main chat menu, then click the info icon in the upper right of the menu for a link to the help handout (most of the menus have a similar icon for their own handout). All commands are done through menu buttons, but if you want to get the exact command just press the up arrow in the chat box after clicking one of the menu buttons.
Encountered an issue in my session last night where backing up one turn in the combat sequence completely messed up the round count. We were in round 4, I backed up initiative (one of my players had double-clicked end turn by accident and skipped past the next player), and suddenly we were back in round 1.
Hi all, I'm having some troubles understanding how the syntax of the api box when you add or remove a condition. Upon applying the condition/spell, such as Banish I want TokenMod to send the Combat Master 'target' of the spell to the GM Layer, as if they have dissapeared from existance, and to re-appear on the token layer upon the clearing of that condition. How do I EXACTLY write that INTO that box, to have it do that {{ }} included? I'm struggling to find any guide or post on this in all the threads.
Persephone said: @Jimmy, use !cmaster --main to get the main chat menu, then click the info icon in the upper right of the menu for a link to the help handout (most of the menus have a similar icon for their own handout). All commands are done through menu buttons, but if you want to get the exact command just press the up arrow in the chat box after clicking one of the menu buttons. Thank you kindly, Persephone. Great name, by the way - I have a song by that title.
Does anyone know how to add line breaks in the condition descriptions, please? I'm creating a bunch of new conditions, but I don't want them to be impenetrable blocks of text.
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&nbsp; use html and it will do the line breaks Jimmy K. said: Does anyone know how to add line breaks in the condition descriptions, please? I'm creating a bunch of new conditions, but I don't want them to be impenetrable blocks of text.

Edited 1613405540
Kilter said: &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&nbsp; use html and it will do the line breaks Ah, many thanks, didn't realise it was as simple as HTML. :D Is there a way to change the order of conditions as listed?
Hey Victor, great work, much appreciated. FYI, some strangeness occurring. Have created several new conditions without incident. But, for some reason, the latest one I made is displaying a large chunk of the Description in the Edit Description button (as pictured).

Edited 1613426874
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's strange.&nbsp; Put brackets {{}} around your description and re-enter it.&nbsp; That should remove the weirdness in the button.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1613441786
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Combat Master v2.41 can be found here:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/vicberg/CombatMaster" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/vicberg/CombatMaster</a> Fixed - Custom Token Markers are now working. IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE CUSTOM TOKEN MARKERS, DO THIS: Upload your custom token marker to your game.&nbsp; Drag onto a map.&nbsp; Select the marker on the map and click z (for zoom).&nbsp; Right mouse click, save image address.&nbsp; Then copy into external URL within CM under the turnorder menu.&nbsp; If you don't do exactly what I laid out it won't work, so try again.&nbsp;&nbsp; - Timer defaults to off for resets or new installations Never going to be fixed - Token Markers don't work if you're not on Player Ribbon Page.&nbsp; Tried to fix but cannot due to roll20 architecture.&nbsp; This right of passage will remain I'll hold off one week updating Roll20 Github to allow for possible errors
When trying to remove a condition using TokenCondition as the Icon type, Also using the same icon it doesn't add the light set to the token. (It is a Torch condition, that works find with just TokenCondition but only adds the icon with CombatMaster.) Your scripts are currently disabled due to an error that was detected. Please make appropriate changes to your script's code and click the "Save Script" button. We will then attempt to start running the scripts again.&nbsp; More info... &nbsp;If this script was installed from the Script Library, you might find help in the Community API Forum. For reference, the error message generated was:&nbsp; TypeError: Cannot read property 'remove' of undefined TypeError: Cannot read property 'remove' of undefined at removeTokenCondition (apiscript.js:16400:24) at apiscript.js:16369:21 at Array.forEach (&lt;anonymous&gt;) at removeConditionFromToken (apiscript.js:16350:44) at apiscript.js:16201:12 at Array.forEach (&lt;anonymous&gt;) at removeCondition (apiscript.js:16199:25) at commandHandler (apiscript.js:15376:17) at apiscript.js:15153:25 at Function.each (/home/node/d20-api-server/node_modules/underscore/underscore.js:1310:9)

Edited 1613511571
Abazigal said: Hi all, I'm having some troubles understanding how the syntax of the api box when you add or remove a condition. Upon applying the condition/spell, such as Banish I want TokenMod to send the Combat Master 'target' of the spell to the GM Layer, as if they have dissapeared from existance, and to re-appear on the token layer upon the clearing of that condition. How do I EXACTLY write that INTO that box, to have it do that {{ }} included? I'm struggling to find any guide or post on this in all the threads. For TokenMod commands, you'll first need to set up substitutions for player ID and token ID in the Macros &amp; API config menu (might as well set up character ID and character name subs while you're at it), then use those substitutions in the command like this: {{!token-mod {{--api-as &lt;PIDsub&gt;}} {{--ids &lt;TIDsub&gt;}} {{--set layer|gmlayer}} }} Insert your substitutions in place of &lt;PIDsub&gt; and &lt;TIDsub&gt;. The double curly braces {{ }} are there as buffers, and get stripped away after entering it, so they're supposed to be missing from the final display like in your screenshot.

Edited 1613528320
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
TokenCondition logic was working.&nbsp; I'll take a look.&nbsp; You've defined the torch as a token condition (not a default icon or custom icon)?&nbsp;&nbsp;
Here is the set up. Victor B. said: TokenCondition logic was working.&nbsp; I'll take a look.&nbsp; You've defined the torch as a token condition (not a default icon or custom icon)?&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1613770161
Hello, when I start combat I see no turn markers on the tokens. I have tried resetting the the script and deleting the api altogether. Also would it be possible to create some clickable done button in the chat for the players to click on to end there turn? Here are the settings for the turn order if that helps.&nbsp;
Ryan said: Hello, when I start combat I see no turn markers on the tokens. I have tried resetting the the script and deleting the api altogether. Here are the settings for the turn order if that helps.&nbsp; Make sure you're on the Player ribbon page. You won't see the markers unless you're running CM on that page.
The title of the thread should be changed to&nbsp; CombatMaster 2.0 (Make sure you're on the Player Ribbon Page)
Kilter said: The title of the thread should be changed to&nbsp; CombatMaster 2.0 (Make sure you're on the Player Ribbon Page) Seriously. For laughs, it would be nice to know exactly how many times new CM users have run into this issue.
I feel dumb. Thank you for the help.
Ryan said: I feel dumb. Thank you for the help. Absolutely do not feel dumb. We're laughing because this issue is a rite of passage for literally everyone who starts using CM. Same thing happened to me when I started trying it out. Heck, it's happened to Victor and he's the script author! :)
Another question. is it possible to nest all the conditions into one macro button? If so how would I write that?
!cmaster ?{Action?|Next,--turn,next|Stop,--turn,Stop...etc..etc..}
Getting&nbsp; weird error when switching pages.&nbsp; 'You are on a page that isn't the player ribbon page. Token Morkers will not work'

Edited 1613799198
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One of my attempts to deal with bad Rolll20 Architecture worked!&nbsp; You aren't on the player page
Question how will that affect when you have a split party? I know Cm will work on the player ribbon page but have not tested with a split party.
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ooph, didnt' think about that.&nbsp; But I want to seemlessly switch between pages.&nbsp; Can't happen.. Roll20 architecture can't handle it.&nbsp; I may have to remove my one attempt.&nbsp; Sigh
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Problem is that you have player ribbon page in architecture, that's solid.&nbsp; But player initiative page (where the turnorder shows) is set by API.&nbsp; I was hoping to be able to bounce around, but it's always based on player ribbon because that's the only thing that Rol200 shows.&nbsp; So if you aren't on player ribbon, you don't know where you are at.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1613800106
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So you can't bounce around without resetting player ribbon page constantly.&nbsp; Then you get into issue of whether the icons in the turnorder are on the new player ribbon page.&nbsp; Nigthmare.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Victor B. said: One of my attempts to deal with bad Rolll20 Architecture worked!&nbsp; You aren't on the player page I'm not sure what that means in this case. I am on the page with the player ribbon and my players. Will I get this msg if I have players on multiple pages? CM seems to work fine other then when I switch pages.
Dangit! I get to add to the CM meme lol.... I got it. Thank you lol