Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

[Deleted]
Marketplace Creator
Kendall-DM said: Wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I am still using LDL because... well, UDL doesn't work for me. So, before last week I had no issues with LDL, everything worked fine. Last week, moving tokens with sight was so laggy it was timing out sometimes and asking me if I wanted to wait for the page to continue updating. Today I wanted to make sure it was an isolated incident, but it isn't. Tokens with sight in LDL are just laggy in the past two weeks. Like to the point of unusable. And if feels as if it has coincided with the other issues affecting UDL, so I'm wondering, why is LDL hit by this same issue? I just tried this out, things were lagging (no animations, only myself accessing the page) when I moved a token with sight only one square, took about 20 seconds to reload the page and update. While that is happening, everything is frozen on my end, and sometimes times out and asks if I want to wait for the page to update. Turned off sight on the token, issue completely disappears, token drags without a problem, get immediate control again. Anyone else having this issue or knows what gives? This is exactly the issue I am having in UDL. LDL is working fine for me. But if I switch to UDL, the moment I give a player token sight, the game completely freezes. 
Tuesday is Bluesday!  Our group had a problem today with Dynamic Lighting - DM had to turn it off in order to get their end to work, otherwise they had so much lag it was unusable. We seem to have this & other issues (we actually lost a player because Roll20 wouldn't load his region (Iran) on Tuesday (PST). Any help here?

Edited 1630882099
J L. said: Tuesday is Bluesday!  Our group had a problem today with Dynamic Lighting - DM had to turn it off in order to get their end to work, otherwise they had so much lag it was unusable. We seem to have this & other issues (we actually lost a player because Roll20 wouldn't load his region (Iran) on Tuesday (PST). Any help here? Try using Firefox, I have always found it to be a lot less laggy than Chrome-based browsers, whether using LDL or UDL. That is, until too many token changes get made, and then there seems to be some resource sink in Firefox, so you have to restart the browser.  The spinning animation in the Turn Marker API script absolutely kills it.
Game was dragging today in both Chrome and Firefox. Rolled back to Legacy and everything ran smoothly…
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Brian C. said: I am still running into scenarios where tokens can see through walls. Throughout a large map, I am getting sections of walls where the token can see through the wall. These walls are parts of polygons, aligned to the grid to make the walls straight, and one part of a line segment will be block vision, while a different part of the same line segment will be transparent to the token. (animated GIF) Whenever this happens on a wall, dragging the token along the wall from a section it can see through to a section it cannot see through causes the token to snag on the wall at the end of the section that it can see through (as if there was a bit of wall jutting out). This is weird for a single line segment on a straight section of wall. Any update on tokens being able to see through walls?

Edited 1630966780
hi, Discovered this odd problem today. The Explored darkness removed on the DM screen, didn't reflect on the players screen. player screen DM screen Last game was Wednesday - something happened between then and now?  update: So, It only happens when a player account is not online at the time of revealing the explorable darkness. All online players will get the updated darkness. So i can't reveal a map unless my players are online??
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Did you reset explorable darkness? Does the account you are testing under share sight with tokens controlled by others?

Edited 1630966266
keithcurtis said: Did you reset explorable darkness? Does the account you are testing under share sight with tokens controlled by others? Did reset it on that map, but tried it on a different map too and its the same.  Not sure about the token. The specific users token has another user attached to it too. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is one of the aspects that is hard to test. I think it might be slated to investigation for improvements to the Line of Sight Tool, according to the issues on the DL portal. It's hard to test because explored darkness is player-based, not token-based. Without logging in as a specific player, it's hard to tell what their explored experience is.
keithcurtis said: This is one of the aspects that is hard to test. I think it might be slated to investigation for improvements to the Line of Sight Tool, according to the issues on the DL portal. It's hard to test because explored darkness is player-based, not token-based. Without logging in as a specific player, it's hard to tell what their explored experience is. I did just that. Had both a player open on one PC and the DM on another. No problem there. When i logged in as another player after at the same spot, no revealed area. So it seems, that if my players are offline i can't pre-reveal parts of the map.
hi, As my secession ended tonight, one of my player told me that they could see tokens move in areas with explored darkness on other parts of there map. This picture is taken from that players screen, in an area with explored darkness. This is not a good bug 😊

Edited 1631164284
I have encountered this exact same issue. Players can see monsters moving through walls if they have encountered that explored darkness before it seems. (player screenshot)
Xeno said: hi, As my secession ended tonight, one of my player told me that they could see tokens move in areas with explored darkness on other parts of there map. This picture is taken from that players screen, in an area with explored darkness. This is not a good bug  Yup - my group just experienced this yesterday as well - sort of ruins the entire purpose of dynamic lighting. -Adam
I'm having an issue with explorer mode where tokens that are moved in after exploration are visible to my players in revealed areas.  I have made sure no player has control on the monster token and I don't have any light sources in the room.  I am not sure how to fix.  It makes it so I can't use the function actively since anything sneaking up behind them is revealed.  
As my secession ended tonight, one of my player told me that they could see tokens move in areas with explored darkness on other parts of there map. I encountered this today as well. I'm DMing in Chrome, I believe all the other players are in Chrome too. Something has also changed with NPC line of sight. I used to be able to hit Ctrl-L to see line of sight of any NPC but now this only works if that token has vision enabled which is pretty inconvenient.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, this has always been the case. Adam G. said: Something has also changed with NPC line of sight. I used to be able to hit Ctrl-L to see line of sight of any NPC but now this only works if that token has vision enabled which is pretty inconvenient.

Edited 1631243066
PSaad
Plus
Adam G. said: As my secession ended tonight, one of my player told me that they could see tokens move in areas with explored darkness on other parts of there map. I encountered this today as well. I'm DMing in Chrome, I believe all the other players are in Chrome too. Something has also changed with NPC line of sight. I used to be able to hit Ctrl-L to see line of sight of any NPC but now this only works if that token has vision enabled which is pretty inconvenient. I'm Having the exact same problem in my game. Explorer enabled, and the players can see the tokens in explored 'gray' area. EDIT: testes in both Chrome and Firefox. the problem is the same either way
This has always been the case for me as well.  There have been some changes they have been working on, and not sure if that may have affected andy extension that might have allowed that to work in the past. (just a guess as to why it would work for some and not others) keithcurtis said: AFAIK, this has always been the case. Adam G. said: Something has also changed with NPC line of sight. I used to be able to hit Ctrl-L to see line of sight of any NPC but now this only works if that token has vision enabled which is pretty inconvenient.
Came here to report having the same problem with Dynamic Lighting. Most of my maps used the [exterior map]+[interior token] trick, but now it is busted, tokens show in the fog of war.
I've been beta testing macOS Monterey and iPadOS 15 and maps with dynamic lighting seems to cause the VTT to never finishing loading. The exact same problem happens with both mobile Safari (iPadOS 15, public beta 7) and Safari on the desktop (Mac Mini, M1, 8GB RAM, Monterey Public Beta 6). I've been seeing the same problem since I started using the public betas around release 7. Do you have any plans to look into compatibility with Safari 15 when it's live to the public. I know you only want to support Firefox and Chrome, but Safari's rendering option is the only option for iPad (even if you install Chrome on the iPad) and my iPad Pro is my preferred device (and my only device when I travel).
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Xeno, Seth L., Adam Caramon, Joe A., Adam G., PSaad, Tony D., and DonK Can you verify for me that these players don't have the player in question nor "All Players" set in the Token's "Controlled by" section? As keithcurtis and Kilter mentioned, a Token must have Vision set to "on" for ctrl+L to show what the token sees. (Technically, it is showing what the token sees without Vision: nothing)
Hi Kenton, I can confirm that no player has control over the token, the "Controlled By" for the monster is empty: (npc token) (player vision seeing tokens on token layer through wall) (player character)

Edited 1631301698
Kenton said: Xeno, Seth L., Adam Caramon, Joe A., Adam G., PSaad, Tony D., and DonK Can you verify for me that these players don't have the player in question nor "All Players" set in the Token's "Controlled by" section? Yes, that's correct, the controlled by section is: And none of the players have access to the character sheets that the tokens represent. -Adam Edit:&nbsp; I was able to reproduce the issue fairly easily - here's a quick video:&nbsp; <a href="https://youtu.be/4Y5kd91-oNM" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/4Y5kd91-oNM</a>

Edited 1631306536
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Great video. Good demo to let others see exactly what is going on. Hopefully the devs can resolve this quickly.
I am having the same issue with players being able to see tokens move in the dark explored areas. I have triple checked the permissions and visibility.&nbsp; I can see it in my second browser window logged in as a player, and I can also see it when I use ctrl-L. The only thing that has changed on my end is I upgraded to Pro, and began playing around with the API. The issue seemed to start around the same time, could be coincidence, but I mention it anyway. To make sure I didn't mess things up with scripts, I opened an older game with no scripts that I made before I upgraded, and I still have the token visibility bug. Windows 10, Chrome
Checking in and getting caught up 👀 I'm still using LDL and trying to assess the current level of risk to switch over to UDL. Still #1 in the bugs forum, but the issues seem less on fire than a month ago? Can anyone make a recommendation?
TheWebCoder said: Checking in and getting caught up  I'm still using LDL and trying to assess the current level of risk to switch over to UDL. Still #1 in the bugs forum, but the issues seem less on fire than a month ago? Can anyone make a recommendation? Still an unacceptable amount of lag that seems to accompany UDL, still a lot of random issues where a player's vision seems to get stuck, or error out requiring deleting the token, dragging the token back on, or a refresh on the player's side.&nbsp; If you are in the middle of a campaign, I would definitely not recommend switching.&nbsp; If you are starting a brand new campaign and are willing to accept a higher level of issues until everything gets perfected, then give it a try. -Adam
So, I'm not understanding all of the issues.&nbsp; On my end, for our group, not really seeing a greater number of UDL issues over LDL issue.&nbsp; Of course, we started a new campaign a number of weeks ago and the entire new campaign is in UDL.&nbsp; But we are actually having fewer issues with lag and have not encountered any of the issue described above with seeing tokens in the grey explored darkness.&nbsp; Just this week I built 2 new maps intentionally pushing the limits of UDL.&nbsp; One (which we got a chance to use) had a huge number of vision obstructions and vision lines out in space (stalagmites, pillars, etc), had some lag, until we turned off explorable darkness, when the lag completely went away.&nbsp; Didn't get a chance to test the 2nd map yet.&nbsp; But our experience is that UDL is more stable and better than LDL. I recommend giving it a try in a new campaign.&nbsp; Make a duplicate and be able to revert to UDL just in case.

Edited 1631464726
I'll second Michael D's review. I am running Mad Mage, and I did make the LDL--&gt;UDL switch mid-campaign. It's been pretty great. No lag, no map revealing issues, the separation of sight from light has been really helpful, and it simulates 5e darkvision very well. I definitely duped my game and converted that to UDL... but that was a couple of months ago, and we haven't looked back. If you read this thread (or find any of the prior ones!), then UDL will sound shaky because it was &nbsp;shaky. That's the point of this thread. And while UDL was released to players waaaaay before it was ready, and while UDL was absolutely a funky jalopy of a platform for a long, long stretch... ...it's now at a 1.0 level of functionality. In my humble opinion, of course. :)
Adam Caramon said: TheWebCoder said: Checking in and getting caught up  I'm still using LDL and trying to assess the current level of risk to switch over to UDL. Still #1 in the bugs forum, but the issues seem less on fire than a month ago? Can anyone make a recommendation? Still an unacceptable amount of lag that seems to accompany UDL, still a lot of random issues where a player's vision seems to get stuck, or error out requiring deleting the token, dragging the token back on, or a refresh on the player's side.&nbsp; If you are in the middle of a campaign, I would definitely not recommend switching.&nbsp; If you are starting a brand new campaign and are willing to accept a higher level of issues until everything gets perfected, then give it a try. -Adam This information is helpful, and because if it I will stick to using LDL as my online D&amp;D sessions resume next month. LDL still works perfect with the new maps I just created, and there is no lag or issues seen at this time, so as far as I'm concerned, LDL is the only way to go.
Came to report the same problem.&nbsp; The greyed out explored areas in advanced fog of war is revealing tokens as well.&nbsp; I am having to send tokens to the GM layer when players are not there.&nbsp; I can provide screen shots if necessary but someone has already done it. Ownership of the visible token is zeroed Visible token is admitting no light.&nbsp; All setting zeroed.
Same issue for me here

Edited 1631508679
@Kenton can confirm. @Michael D did try starting a new game to check before my initial reporting here of my issue, no improvement.
Kenton said: Xeno, Seth L., Adam Caramon, Joe A., Adam G., PSaad, Tony D., and DonK Can you verify for me that these players don't have the player in question nor "All Players" set in the Token's "Controlled by" section? As keithcurtis and Kilter mentioned, a Token must have Vision set to "on" for ctrl+L to show what the token sees. (Technically, it is showing what the token sees without Vision: nothing) Hi Kenton I can also confirm that no player has control over the token. The Player settings are: (but it happens to all my players) &nbsp; Hope it helps out X
There any movement on this?&nbsp; Otherwise I probably need to start converting macros back to the legacy system for next weekend...&nbsp; ugh
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My guess is that if a fix is in, it will likely come in Tuesday's code push.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Thanks for the confirmation, all. The video was especially helpful. We've found a bug, and are working on a hot fix presently. We will update when it's ready to roll out in the next few hours.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We've released a hotfix which we've tested against the use cases mentioned here, as well as a few other. Please let me know where if you're still experiencing issues. On a different note, we've reached out directly via Private Message to the users who have reported slowdowns in games. We've been unable to reproduce the issue, and we think it has to do with particular GPU and driver combinations. You're response to those messages will help tremendously.&nbsp;
Just something that happened in my last game is that players can see creatures that are in different rooms on the token layer when explorer mode is active. Which I thought wasn't a thing that could happen, also there was a moment when restrict player movement was by dynamic lightning stopped working and one of my players ended up seeing the entire map. Anyone else having these issues?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pitchagon said: Just something that happened in my last game is that players can see creatures that are in different rooms on the token layer when explorer mode is active. Which I thought wasn't a thing that could happen, also there was a moment when restrict player movement was by dynamic lightning stopped working and one of my players ended up seeing the entire map. Anyone else having these issues? :D Have you read the last 20 posts?
Kenton said: We've released a hotfix which we've tested against the use cases mentioned here, as well as a few other. Please let me know where if you're still experiencing issues. Thanks for the quick turnaround Kenton - I just tested this out and it is working as expected for me. -Adam
Kenton said: We've released a hotfix which we've tested against the use cases mentioned here, as well as a few other. Please let me know where if you're still experiencing issues. On a different note, we've reached out directly via Private Message to the users who have reported slowdowns in games. We've been unable to reproduce the issue, and we think it has to do with particular GPU and driver combinations. You're response to those messages will help tremendously.&nbsp; Thanks for the quick work on the hotfix.

Edited 1631654969
Hey @Kenton , I was reporting a different problem with dynamic lighting that might have gotten lost in this discussion. I'm noticing that maps with Dynamic Lighting no longer load in Safari 15 (which will likely be released this month). It's been in beta for a couple of months and still is. I'm just wondering if the team is aware of this and if we might see a fix for it. I often DM on my iPad (as I'm going on lots of road trip vacations this year) and using Apple's rendering engine WebKit is the only option on iPad, even if you download Chrome. Thanks Don
Kenton said: We've released a hotfix which we've tested against the use cases mentioned here, as well as a few other. Please let me know where if you're still experiencing issues. &nbsp; Seems to be fixed for me too, Thanks for fixing that!
the patch has fixed the issue on my end, thanks Kenton!
The link to the dynamic lighting portal in the first post of this thread seems to now be broken. And to confirm, from the patch notes for the 8th, translucent tokens in explorer mode has been re-classified as a feature?