Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

High Processor Usage(Chrome)

Edited 1670813907
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Adam Caramon &nbsp;said: keithcurtis &nbsp;said: The problem is that it's not a universal issue. Others have chimed in to say that they (like I) have not experienced this. There's only so many things that can be tested for. There are a LOT of variables in play: OS, browser, extensions, hardware, including graphics cards), ISPs,&nbsp; Real world feedback is important. Which would be a good reason to release these kind of features on the development server first, and ask a wide array of users to test, right?&nbsp; You could even encourage testing on the DEV server by offering some cheap art pack to all users who perform a testing script on the DEV server and report any issues they run into. FWIW, here is a quick narrated recording of the Chrome Task Manager showing spikes in CPU usage when Roll20 is active on screen:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://youtu.be/7e7bFv9mcNY" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/7e7bFv9mcNY</a> -Adam Interesting. I get similar spikes on my Chromebook, but nothing that I could detect during the play experience—no lag, for instance. On my Mac, I got nothing above an 11.8% spike while scrolling around a very large DL map, but most of the time was around 3-4%. The Mac test might not be relevant though. The M1 handles memory and graphics very differently.&nbsp; This problem alsoseemed to hit about the same time as a Windows update? Since I don't use Windows, that's a possibility as well. A reward for posting reports on the Dev server is a good idea, but I would think it would have to be merit-based somehow, to prevent "Yeah, looks good" reports from people who didn't really test anything. Maybe a bounty for bugs? As it was, the old system of posting on Dev and asking for feedback did very little. Reports were very few, and could be skewed by the fact that only Pro users could access it. I agree a better testing system is needed, but I'm not sure if it would have really helped in this particular case. For example, despite several reports, I don't know how many people have bothered to return any useful info to Roll20 (Console logs, repro steps, machine specs, differences in game size or complexity, diligent testing on multiple browsers or disabling extensions, etc.). A testing script is also only as good as the problems you expect to find. It's tough getting useful info, which is why they had to resort to a form for this one? I don't know what the form looks like, since I'm not experiencing the issue.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: A reward for posting reports on the Dev server is a good idea, but I would think it would have to be merit-based somehow, to prevent "Yeah, looks good" reports from people who didn't really test anything. Maybe a bounty for bugs? As it was, the old system of posting on Dev and asking for feedback did very little. Reports were very few, and could be skewed by the fact that only Pro users could access it. I agree a better testing system is needed, but I'm not sure if it would have really helped in this particular case. For example, despite several reports, I don't know how many people have bothered to return any useful info to Roll20 (Console logs, repro steps, machine specs, differences in game size or complexity, diligent testing on multiple browsers or disabling extensions, etc.). A testing script is also only as good as the problems you expect to find. It's tough getting useful info, which is why they had to resort to a form for this one? I don't know what the form looks like, since I'm not experiencing the issue.&nbsp; The old system asked paying customers to donate their time to Roll20 to do testing.&nbsp; It does not surprise me that such a system was not wildly effective.&nbsp; People tend to be motivated by gain.&nbsp; Offer them some art assets, a discount on their subscription, heck, even a silly label on their profile, and I would wager the number of people willing to perform the testing would increase significantly. I would argue a testing system would certainly have helped in this case - discovering the issue would simply have required a person who is affected by this issue to log into Roll20's platform.&nbsp; When CPU usage sky rockets, PC fans go into overdrive to cool the system down.&nbsp; It would be nearly impossible to miss. How long has Roll20 been working on this latest feature?&nbsp; Six months?&nbsp; A year?&nbsp; Longer?&nbsp; When was the earliest they had a stable release for their own internal testing?&nbsp; If they had known about this issue three months ago because it was caught as part of wider testing, wouldn't it be far more likely that we would have a remedy already in place?&nbsp; And if for some reason it is impossible for Roll20 to remedy the issue, at least provide awareness to all users by updating their system requirements to use Roll20? True, a testing script may not find every single issue, but it will help to gather data to look for likely culprits based on comparing users' data.&nbsp; In this particular case the issue is blatant and would have been easily discovered through wider testing. -Adam
Adam Caramon said: keithcurtis said: A reward for posting reports on the Dev server is a good idea, but I would think it would have to be merit-based somehow, to prevent "Yeah, looks good" reports from people who didn't really test anything. Maybe a bounty for bugs? As it was, the old system of posting on Dev and asking for feedback did very little. Reports were very few, and could be skewed by the fact that only Pro users could access it. I agree a better testing system is needed, but I'm not sure if it would have really helped in this particular case. For example, despite several reports, I don't know how many people have bothered to return any useful info to Roll20 (Console logs, repro steps, machine specs, differences in game size or complexity, diligent testing on multiple browsers or disabling extensions, etc.). A testing script is also only as good as the problems you expect to find. It's tough getting useful info, which is why they had to resort to a form for this one? I don't know what the form looks like, since I'm not experiencing the issue.&nbsp; The old system asked paying customers to donate their time to Roll20 to do testing.&nbsp; It does not surprise me that such a system was not wildly effective.&nbsp; People tend to be motivated by gain.&nbsp; Offer them some art assets, a discount on their subscription, heck, even a silly label on their profile, and I would wager the number of people willing to perform the testing would increase significantly. I would argue a testing system would certainly have helped in this case - discovering the issue would simply have required a person who is affected by this issue to log into Roll20's platform.&nbsp; When CPU usage sky rockets, PC fans go into overdrive to cool the system down.&nbsp; It would be nearly impossible to miss. How long has Roll20 been working on this latest feature?&nbsp; Six months?&nbsp; A year?&nbsp; Longer?&nbsp; When was the earliest they had a stable release for their own internal testing?&nbsp; If they had known about this issue three months ago because it was caught as part of wider testing, wouldn't it be far more likely that we would have a remedy already in place?&nbsp; And if for some reason it is impossible for Roll20 to remedy the issue, at least provide awareness to all users by updating their system requirements to use Roll20? True, a testing script may not find every single issue, but it will help to gather data to look for likely culprits based on comparing users' data.&nbsp; In this particular case the issue is blatant and would have been easily discovered through wider testing. -Adam That'd be a great idea. I Def would help test with really any of those benefits lol.
Mr. NumNums said: Adam Caramon said: keithcurtis said: A reward for posting reports on the Dev server is a good idea, but I would think it would have to be merit-based somehow, to prevent "Yeah, looks good" reports from people who didn't really test anything. Maybe a bounty for bugs? As it was, the old system of posting on Dev and asking for feedback did very little. Reports were very few, and could be skewed by the fact that only Pro users could access it. I agree a better testing system is needed, but I'm not sure if it would have really helped in this particular case. For example, despite several reports, I don't know how many people have bothered to return any useful info to Roll20 (Console logs, repro steps, machine specs, differences in game size or complexity, diligent testing on multiple browsers or disabling extensions, etc.). A testing script is also only as good as the problems you expect to find. It's tough getting useful info, which is why they had to resort to a form for this one? I don't know what the form looks like, since I'm not experiencing the issue.&nbsp; The old system asked paying customers to donate their time to Roll20 to do testing.&nbsp; It does not surprise me that such a system was not wildly effective.&nbsp; People tend to be motivated by gain.&nbsp; Offer them some art assets, a discount on their subscription, heck, even a silly label on their profile, and I would wager the number of people willing to perform the testing would increase significantly. I would argue a testing system would certainly have helped in this case - discovering the issue would simply have required a person who is affected by this issue to log into Roll20's platform.&nbsp; When CPU usage sky rockets, PC fans go into overdrive to cool the system down.&nbsp; It would be nearly impossible to miss. How long has Roll20 been working on this latest feature?&nbsp; Six months?&nbsp; A year?&nbsp; Longer?&nbsp; When was the earliest they had a stable release for their own internal testing?&nbsp; If they had known about this issue three months ago because it was caught as part of wider testing, wouldn't it be far more likely that we would have a remedy already in place?&nbsp; And if for some reason it is impossible for Roll20 to remedy the issue, at least provide awareness to all users by updating their system requirements to use Roll20? True, a testing script may not find every single issue, but it will help to gather data to look for likely culprits based on comparing users' data.&nbsp; In this particular case the issue is blatant and would have been easily discovered through wider testing. -Adam That'd be a great idea. I Def would help test with really any of those benefits lol. This was the standard process pre-2022. In fact, the Dev Server access used to be heavily promoted as a feature of Pro Status. Roll20 ignoring the Dev Server isn't just bad for their own testing, it's a service specifically stated as a feature of a paid subscription i.e. they are withholding a service that customers rightfully gained through payment. The advertisements specifically state: "Get access our testing server to try new features before release - and include your players." - Note that the typo is not mine, I copy &amp; pasted the statement directly from the main subscription page.&nbsp; The oldest, most invested Users of this site have been repeatedly begging to help Roll20 these last rough 10 months.&nbsp; tldr; As a Pro-level subscriber, you are literally paying Roll20 to test their upcoming features on the Dev Server. You, by the monetary transaction agreement between you and Roll20, should have the ability to see incoming updates and try them earlier than everyone else.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Many of the recent features have been released to Pro users before the rest of the user base. Just not on the dev server. Same principle, just not in the walled garden of the dev server. I have a feeling that there was some issue with the old model that just wasn't working in a productive and efficient manner.

Edited 1671371436
Hi, I've completed the form as set up previously in this chain. I'm still experiencing the issue on both Chome and Firefox. Pretty much unplayable for me at the moment :( Edit: GPU also maxes at 100% when in a blank game and nothing else open (except task manager). Have also completed a full computer factory reset today and the problem remains. No other apps or programmes installed or running, only chroms with 1x blank map page.
Ok I had it working with Firefox up until tonight. But now Firefox is causing me CPU issues.
James NFA87 said: Hi, I've completed the form as set up previously in this chain. I'm still experiencing the issue on both Chome and Firefox. Pretty much unplayable for me at the moment :( Edit: GPU also maxes at 100% when in a blank game and nothing else open (except task manager). Have also completed a full computer factory reset today and the problem remains. No other apps or programmes installed or running, only chroms with 1x blank map page. I also completed a full factory reset shortly after the new feature was released without any change in performance.&nbsp; I think its pretty clear its not due to an error or setting on the user's side.&nbsp; There is some kind of incompatibility between this new feature and specific graphics cards or specific devices. -Adam
In case this helps anyone else, I noticed when I open the Task Manager and choose the "Performance" tab that both integrated graphics and my GPU are listed.&nbsp; When I launch Roll20 I get a significant spike on the integrated graphics and only a small amount on the GPU.&nbsp; I've disabled the integrated graphics through Device Manager (now only the Nvidia GPU is listed in the performance tab of Task Manager.) So far based on a brief amount of testing I'm not seeing the same processor spikes I was previously. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In your opinion, is this a viable suggest for folks suffering from high CPU usage? At least as a workaround? My Mac has onboard graphics only, but is an ARM chip, which handles things differently. This might contribute to why I can't reproduce this issue, at least on the M1.
keithcurtis said: In your opinion, is this a viable suggest for folks suffering from high CPU usage? At least as a workaround? My Mac has onboard graphics only, but is an ARM chip, which handles things differently. This might contribute to why I can't reproduce this issue, at least on the M1. I imagine anything that might help the situation to be worthwhile.&nbsp; Before I disabled the integrated graphics, just opening Roll20 caused a massive CPU spike, laptop fans went crazy, etc.&nbsp; CPU usage was regularly hitting 70+ percent. After disabling integrated graphics, fans are much quieter, CPU is generally &lt; 30%. I only have a handful of hours of testing since this change, but so far it certainly seems better. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks! I'll add it to the arsenal of suggestions for people suffering from this issue.
I found a solution. Be sure to have "Hardware Acceleration" activated, driver and chrome side.&nbsp; Went from 99% to 8% usage.

Edited 1671619938
Gnégnénieur said: I found a solution. Be sure to have "Hardware Acceleration" activated, driver and chrome side.&nbsp; Went from 99% to 8% usage. Afraid i dont seem to have an option for hardware acceleration on the driver side... :( Edit: it's an integrated intel graphics card
Hi All Are others still experiencing this issue? Anything i try appears to be a dead end... :(
James NFA87 said: Hi All Are others still experiencing this issue? Anything i try appears to be a dead end... :( Still happening to me on chrome and firefox. If I use hardware acceleration with the intergrated graphics the CPU usage sits around 20-40% while the GPU is at 40-60%. Which is not really a solution to the issue when before the CPU usage was negligible at all times unless everyone was moving all their tokens around at once with dynamic lighting on.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just reposting this, in case people have not read upthread: Drespar &nbsp;said: Hi everyone! For folks still experiencing high CPU or GPU usage, could you fill out this google form here: <a href="https://forms.gle/H4WWn6Nd9rqTexX69" rel="nofollow">https://forms.gle/H4WWn6Nd9rqTexX69</a> Please forgive me for the length, but performance related issues tend to be one of the most difficult to properly diagnose. There are often many many places where a system can differ slightly, or have an out of date driver, etc. Thank you in advance! This will help us greatly in deciphering what common threads might be or what the root issue may be.
Hi all,&nbsp; Keith asked that I cross post some info from a thread I started -&nbsp; I've been troubleshooting high CPU/GPU usage during our normal gaming sessions and think I found a possible solution.&nbsp; We use discord as our voice app, and I noticed that roll20 only spikes when the discord app is active. I initially tried all of the available common browsers, and incognito modes for each as well as defaulting my Nvidia settings, toggle acceleration etc. Eventually I did a complete reinstall of discord (including removing all folders from %appdata%) which seems to have resolved the roll20 issues. I only see a small increase in CPU when I open the discord app window otherwise everything works fine with the window minimized. I'll post my findings on the r/discord as well. Hope this helps some of you out.&nbsp;
Victor N. said: Hi all,&nbsp; Keith asked that I cross post some info from a thread I started -&nbsp; I've been troubleshooting high CPU/GPU usage during our normal gaming sessions and think I found a possible solution.&nbsp; We use discord as our voice app, and I noticed that roll20 only spikes when the discord app is active. I initially tried all of the available common browsers, and incognito modes for each as well as defaulting my Nvidia settings, toggle acceleration etc. Eventually I did a complete reinstall of discord (including removing all folders from %appdata%) which seems to have resolved the roll20 issues. I only see a small increase in CPU when I open the discord app window otherwise everything works fine with the window minimized. I'll post my findings on the r/discord as well. Hope this helps some of you out.&nbsp; I tested this on my end - no change in CPU usage if Discord is active or not. Interestingly enough, last night during my session CPU usage was high - I could hear my fans going pretty crazy.&nbsp; Today, trying to replicate that for testing, not noticing the same behavior.&nbsp; I've mimicked as best I can the same conditions from last night minus other players being connected to the game.&nbsp; But I recall yesterday even before the session when I was building content in Roll20 the CPU usage was fairly high - so it doesn't seem to be specifically related to other player's being connected. I do notice that in Task Manager there is a process entitled "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework Host Process" that seems to eat up a lot of processing power any time a Roll20 window is active.&nbsp; If minimized, Chrome's CPU usage and this other process' CPU usage drops to negligible levels. -Adam
Victor N. said: Hi all,&nbsp; Keith asked that I cross post some info from a thread I started -&nbsp; I've been troubleshooting high CPU/GPU usage during our normal gaming sessions and think I found a possible solution.&nbsp; We use discord as our voice app, and I noticed that roll20 only spikes when the discord app is active. I initially tried all of the available common browsers, and incognito modes for each as well as defaulting my Nvidia settings, toggle acceleration etc. Eventually I did a complete reinstall of discord (including removing all folders from %appdata%) which seems to have resolved the roll20 issues. I only see a small increase in CPU when I open the discord app window otherwise everything works fine with the window minimized. I'll post my findings on the r/discord as well. Hope this helps some of you out.&nbsp; My group doesn't use Discord, it's not running on my end while we play so it can't be the source of the issue.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think there is a single source. There are too many different anecdotal solutions that have worked for different people. Which is probably why there's no single "fix" that has been offered by Roll20.
keithcurtis said: I don't think there is a single source. There are too many different anecdotal solutions that have worked for different people. Which is probably why there's no single "fix" that has been offered by Roll20. So far the only thing that is confirmed is:&nbsp; before the release of the new Windows feature, no issues with high CPU usage.&nbsp; Since the release of the new Windows feature - several people have reported issues with high CPU usage. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes, but since it is by no means universal, and (I have been told) there has been a concurrent Windows update during that period, I don't think that there's a 1:1 correspondence. I don't think that correlation is necessarily causation. Likely it's a confluence of several things. Otherwise a common factor would have emerged. Everyone had the code added. Many if not most folks have had no issues.

Edited 1672403016
keithcurtis said: Yes, but since it is by no means universal, and (I have been told) there has been a concurrent Windows update during that period, I don't think that there's a 1:1 correspondence. I don't think that correlation is necessarily causation. Likely it's a confluence of several things. Otherwise a common factor would have emerged. Everyone had the code added. Many if not most folks have had no issues. The negative impact has has not been universal, correct.&nbsp; I'm not sure why you keep mentioning that - are you implying that unless a large percentage of the user base is negatively impacted by a Roll20 change, then there is no way that Roll20 could have either foreseen the possible negative impact or should dedicate resources to troubleshooting the issue? The new Roll20 Windows feature was announced on 11/30 - checking my MS Windows update history I see no concurrent MS Windows updates.&nbsp; The closest minor update I see (i.e., security update) was 12/7.&nbsp; This thread was created 12/2. I just thought of another thing to test - maybe others affected by this issue can test as well to confirm my results aren't limited to just me.&nbsp; The new Roll20 Windows/Doors feature has not been rolled out to the DEV server (just tested this morning - the add a light option is there but NOT Windows/Doors.)&nbsp; When I copy the same game I experienced high CPU usage on Wednesday from PROD to DEV and then test - no high CPU usage on the DEV server. -Adam
I'm a Linux user so I doubt a Windows update would be the source of my problem anyway. Something in the code they added to the VTT for the Windows/Doors update broke on some types of hardware, it's not a software issue on the user's end if everybody's running into the issue on different browsers and operating systems. Adam Caramon said: I just thought of another thing to test - maybe others affected by this issue can test as well to confirm my results aren't limited to just me.&nbsp; The new Roll20 Windows/Doors feature has not been rolled out to the DEV server (just tested this morning - the add a light option is there but NOT Windows/Doors.)&nbsp; When I copy the same game I experienced high CPU usage on Wednesday from PROD to DEV and then test - no high CPU usage on the DEV server. Not a Pro user so I can't test it but if the solution involves removing the Windows/Doors update that only confirms what's been said from the start. And I guess short of them rolling it back we're screwed until they find the source which I expect will take a long while and in the meantime they'll keep pushing updates making it harder to ever fix the issue by just removing the Windows/Doors update they pushed back then.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Adam Caramon said: keithcurtis said: Yes, but since it is by no means universal, and (I have been told) there has been a concurrent Windows update during that period, I don't think that there's a 1:1 correspondence. I don't think that correlation is necessarily causation. Likely it's a confluence of several things. Otherwise a common factor would have emerged. Everyone had the code added. Many if not most folks have had no issues. The negative impact has has not been universal, correct.&nbsp; I'm not sure why you keep mentioning that - are you implying that unless a large percentage of the user base is negatively impacted by a Roll20 change, then there is no way that Roll20 could have either foreseen the possible negative impact or should dedicate resources to troubleshooting the issue? The new Roll20 Windows feature was announced on 11/30 - checking my MS Windows update history I see no concurrent MS Windows updates.&nbsp; The closest minor update I see (i.e., security update) was 12/7.&nbsp; This thread was created 12/2. I just thought of another thing to test - maybe others affected by this issue can test as well to confirm my results aren't limited to just me.&nbsp; The new Roll20 Windows/Doors feature has not been rolled out to the DEV server (just tested this morning - the add a light option is there but NOT Windows/Doors.)&nbsp; When I copy the same game I experienced high CPU usage on Wednesday from PROD to DEV and then test - no high CPU usage on the DEV server. -Adam Sorry, I was just trying to point out that the occurrence of the door code addition, and the CPU spikes that some users have reported may be related, but not directly causative. Since the things that people have reported to have fixed it are all over the map, this suggests a host of causes, perhaps with the door code as a contributing factor. I've thought of the Dev Server, but the code for that is extremely out of step with Production. If the state of Dev were only reflective of the code base of a month or so ago, it might be useful, but I'd guess that Dev is more like a year behind. It's useful for verifying "This is the way such and such a feature used to work", but not much else.
keithcurtis said: Adam Caramon said: keithcurtis said: Yes, but since it is by no means universal, and (I have been told) there has been a concurrent Windows update during that period, I don't think that there's a 1:1 correspondence. I don't think that correlation is necessarily causation. Likely it's a confluence of several things. Otherwise a common factor would have emerged. Everyone had the code added. Many if not most folks have had no issues. The negative impact has has not been universal, correct.&nbsp; I'm not sure why you keep mentioning that - are you implying that unless a large percentage of the user base is negatively impacted by a Roll20 change, then there is no way that Roll20 could have either foreseen the possible negative impact or should dedicate resources to troubleshooting the issue? The new Roll20 Windows feature was announced on 11/30 - checking my MS Windows update history I see no concurrent MS Windows updates.&nbsp; The closest minor update I see (i.e., security update) was 12/7.&nbsp; This thread was created 12/2. I just thought of another thing to test - maybe others affected by this issue can test as well to confirm my results aren't limited to just me.&nbsp; The new Roll20 Windows/Doors feature has not been rolled out to the DEV server (just tested this morning - the add a light option is there but NOT Windows/Doors.)&nbsp; When I copy the same game I experienced high CPU usage on Wednesday from PROD to DEV and then test - no high CPU usage on the DEV server. -Adam Sorry, I was just trying to point out that the occurrence of the door code addition, and the CPU spikes that some users have reported may be related, but not directly causative. Since the things that people have reported to have fixed it are all over the map, this suggests a host of causes, perhaps with the door code as a contributing factor. I've thought of the Dev Server, but the code for that is extremely out of step with Production. If the state of Dev were only reflective of the code base of a month or so ago, it might be useful, but I'd guess that Dev is more like a year behind. It's useful for verifying "This is the way such and such a feature used to work", but not much else. Its challenging to attribute any purported fix as an actual fix as we don't know what changes Roll20 is making on their end.&nbsp; If one day the CPU usage is bad, and then the next day you make some changes to your settings and suddenly it seems better, it might be related to the changes you made or it might be because of something Roll20 changed on their end.&nbsp; In a perfect world, any change Roll20 devs make that impacts the production environment should be logged and made available for review for troubleshooting. Short of Roll20 devs providing more specific data to assist in troubleshooting, the most logical conclusion that any of us affected can draw is that the Roll20 Windows update is the culprit. Is there any possibility of Roll20 bringing the DEV server up to the most recent release before the new Windows feature to allow for those of us affected to test? -Adam
Adam Caramon said: I just thought of another thing to test - maybe others affected by this issue can test as well to confirm my results aren't limited to just me.&nbsp; The new Roll20 Windows/Doors feature has not been rolled out to the DEV server (just tested this morning - the add a light option is there but NOT Windows/Doors.)&nbsp; When I copy the same game I experienced high CPU usage on Wednesday from PROD to DEV and then test - no high CPU usage on the DEV server. -Adam Gave that thought a try and spun up a new game on the dev servers. No impact on my CPU usage. Hops between 1.7% and 7.8%. Back on the production server however I made a new game again and bang 96% cpu usage doing nothing.
Jake W. said: Adam Caramon said: I just thought of another thing to test - maybe others affected by this issue can test as well to confirm my results aren't limited to just me.&nbsp; The new Roll20 Windows/Doors feature has not been rolled out to the DEV server (just tested this morning - the add a light option is there but NOT Windows/Doors.)&nbsp; When I copy the same game I experienced high CPU usage on Wednesday from PROD to DEV and then test - no high CPU usage on the DEV server. -Adam Gave that thought a try and spun up a new game on the dev servers. No impact on my CPU usage. Hops between 1.7% and 7.8%. Back on the production server however I made a new game again and bang 96% cpu usage doing nothing. Thanks Jake - hopefully we can get more test cases from affected users to confirm the issue.&nbsp; If the issue exists in production but not on the development server and all other factors stay constant (i.e., same computer, same GPU, etc), that would be fairly conclusive that the issue is with a change on the Roll20 side. -Adam

Edited 1672444734
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
EDIT: I had written a long post here, but I have decided to delete it. I think my efforts to address the issue are likely only to be seen as contrarian or antagonistic, and that is absolutely not my intent.
I started experiencing the same issues as well, and it came to a head this evening.&nbsp; The slowdown was so terrible, it would take 3-5 seconds for Roll20 to "catch up".&nbsp; That may not seem like a lot, but this was for everything (switching maps, placing a token, moving a token, clicking a token action, rolling die, etc.).&nbsp; I've submitted my info on the form provided above (thanks!), and hope there's a resolution soon.&nbsp; Almost an unplayable state at this point. For anyone interested, I tested on a brand new laptop with a fresh image; practically nothing on it.
I added the form post to my original post to help out newer people.
Drespar said: Hi everyone! For folks still experiencing high CPU or GPU usage, could you fill out this google form here: <a href="https://forms.gle/H4WWn6Nd9rqTexX69" rel="nofollow">https://forms.gle/H4WWn6Nd9rqTexX69</a> Please forgive me for the length, but performance related issues tend to be one of the most difficult to properly diagnose. There are often many many places where a system can differ slightly, or have an out of date driver, etc. Thank you in advance! This will help us greatly in deciphering what common threads might be or what the root issue may be. Drespar - should we be expecting a response from Roll20 specifically related to this issue?&nbsp; If so, any chance of providing an ETA? Thanks, -Adam
They pointed out they made some changes to the Performance (in their latest announcement)... What they did exactly I don't know... Adam Caramon said: Drespar said: Hi everyone! For folks still experiencing high CPU or GPU usage, could you fill out this google form here: <a href="https://forms.gle/H4WWn6Nd9rqTexX69" rel="nofollow">https://forms.gle/H4WWn6Nd9rqTexX69</a> Please forgive me for the length, but performance related issues tend to be one of the most difficult to properly diagnose. There are often many many places where a system can differ slightly, or have an out of date driver, etc. Thank you in advance! This will help us greatly in deciphering what common threads might be or what the root issue may be. Drespar - should we be expecting a response from Roll20 specifically related to this issue?&nbsp; If so, any chance of providing an ETA? Thanks, -Adam
Not sure what performance improvements they've made but they're certainly not related to the current issue seeing as it's still just as bad as it was a month ago.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: They pointed out they made some changes to the Performance (in their latest announcement)... What they did exactly I don't know... Do you have a link for that? I hadn't seen anything addressing the issue recently.
You can find it here: <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log#january-4-2023-0-1" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log#january-4-2023-0-1</a> Release Notes December 21. keithcurtis said: TheMarkus1204 said: They pointed out they made some changes to the Performance (in their latest announcement)... What they did exactly I don't know... Do you have a link for that? I hadn't seen anything addressing the issue recently.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: You can find it here: <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log#january-4-2023-0-1" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037772613-Change-Log#january-4-2023-0-1</a> Release Notes December 21. Thanks, I read right over that. Yeah, that sounds like they are talking about something else.

Edited 1672978380
Having the same issues reported in the thread across Opera, up-to-date/no-extension Chrome, and up-to-date/no-extension Firefox. Performance is significantly worsened by opening or moving around a character sheet especially (if I can move it at all due to lag and cursor stuttering), but is still poor without a character sheet pulled up. Strangely, performance is somewhat improved by being in a different tab or window from the tabletop (i.e. typing on this thread). For Chrome specifically as I type this response in Opera, running only roll20 in Chrome, I'm seeing ~56% GPU useage and ~25% CPU useage from Chrome alone when it is the active window behind the task manager. When I tab away to Opera and then view the task manager, Chrome has dropped to 0% GPU useage and ~3% CPU usage. Since the performance seems to spike when the window is active, I suspect I'm getting even higher percentages when in the tabletop and not task manager. Last time my group played and actively used the virtual table top was 12/6, and I did not notice this bad of performance issues then. All that to say, I filled out the google form linked higher in the thread -- have we heard any update or any communication from the Roll20 team regarding this issue since the fillable form was posted three weeks ago? Can I do anything to improve my performance in the mean time? I'm about to try Victor's suggestion of a clean Discord reinstall (in the middle of my group trying to play) as a hail mary, but it sounds like some in this thread are seeing the problem even without Discord running simultaneously -- things are also pretty much unplayable for me. :( I feel like I'm dragging my group down, I've spent all session trying to troubleshoot instead of paying attention to the game since I can't even move the map to navigate. Edit: Closing out of Discord entirely did nothing to improve my performance issues.
Chrissy said: All that to say, I filled out the google form linked higher in the thread -- have we heard any update or any communication from the Roll20 team regarding this issue since the fillable form was posted three weeks ago? Can I do anything to improve my performance in the mean time? I'm about to try Victor's suggestion of a clean Discord reinstall as a hail mary, but it sounds like some in this thread are seeing the problem even without Discord running simultaneously. Your experience is the same as others - when Roll20 is the active window, CPU or GPU usage sky rockets.&nbsp; We haven't received any official update from Roll20. Various remedies have been proposed, but as best as I can tell none of them have actually fixed the issue.&nbsp; When someone reports that they had the same issue but fixed it by x, I'm guessing they had a different issue that also caused increased CPU/GPU usage. You can try anything you have seen in the thread so far to see if it helps you.&nbsp; If not, then your only other option is using a different device.&nbsp; I'm not sure how to say this in a polite way, but it seems that Roll20 is not taking this issue seriously / has decided it is not worth the effort to fix due to a presumably small population of users that are affected by it.&nbsp; If they were treating this as a serious problem, I would expect at a minimum a weekly update until the issue is fixed.&nbsp; Due to the radio silence, its anyone's guess how long or if it will ever be fixed. I am fortunate enough to be able to switch to a different device so I can still run my games for now.&nbsp; This experience (coupled with the general lack of transparency on Roll20's part) has me seriously considering switching platforms once my currently planned campaigns wrap up here. -Adam

Edited 1672978249
I am fortunate enough to be able to switch to a different device so I can still run my games for now.&nbsp; This experience (coupled with the general lack of transparency on Roll20's part) has me seriously considering switching platforms once my currently planned campaigns wrap up here. Thanks Adam. I figured the lack of response from Roll20 was the case, but had hoped maybe someone had seen an update on a stray thread about the same issue somewhere. :') That's how I found this thread. I unfortunately do not have another device to play on, only my smartphone -- and I have not had a great time trying to play using the roll20 app on smartphone nor roll20 in mobile browser in the past. I know my group has already decided to abandon roll20 at the conclusion of our campaign due to similar issues like this one with awful communication/transparency from roll20 after initial acknowledgment, the fact that something in our sheets or game setup seems to break every week we play, and finding more freedom to customize things on other platforms. A couple years back I had an audio/visual issue and reached out for help in this forum. Despite being able to replicate my problem in Chrome and Firefox (once again with no extensions and up to date) and providing console logs from, the Roll20 rep responding to me was far more concerned with reiterating that they do not support Opera than actually looking into my problem. They asked for Firefox logs on top of the Chrome and Opera ones, but by that point I already felt ignored, so I abandoned the thread. It seemed like they were only going to continue asking me to do more while giving me no insight into why or what they were doing AND continuing to discourage me from using my preferred browser. My audio/visual issues eventually resolved themselves somehow several months later, maybe they eventually got around to addressing whatever had caused that or something in our game updated. But I'm getting a sour sense of deja vu shouting into the void for help with major game-impacting issues.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Adam Caramon said: I am fortunate enough to be able to switch to a different device so I can still run my games for now.&nbsp;&nbsp; I know you've probably posted this, but what is the difference between the two devices?
keithcurtis said: Adam Caramon said: I am fortunate enough to be able to switch to a different device so I can still run my games for now.&nbsp;&nbsp; I know you've probably posted this, but what is the difference between the two devices? In short: Device Processor OS GPU RAM Laptop (has CPU issues on Roll20) Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz&nbsp;&nbsp; 2.30 GHz Windows 11 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 32 GB Desktop (no issues on Roll20) 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz&nbsp;&nbsp; 3.50 GHz Windows 11 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 32 GB The desktop was purchased for high-end gaming.&nbsp; That I had to relocate it to use it for Roll20 is unfortunate. I also want to make sure to re-emphasize that I ran Roll20 on the laptop for years with no CPU issues until the Windows/Doors feature was released.&nbsp; It also works perfectly fine on the DEV server (that does not have the Windows/Doors feature installed.) -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well shoot. There's no smoking gun there. For reference, I use the following with no CPU issues: M1 Mac Mini ( Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU, and 16‑core Neural Engine,&nbsp; 16GB unified memory) Chromebook (Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4020 CPU @ 1.10GHz, 2 cores, 32 GB storage) So I doubt the issue is simply raw specs, since my Chromebook is pretty puny. On your laptop, how is your storage space? I'll admit I know nothing of Windows intricacies, so forgive me if any of this sounds horribly ignorant. But could it be a memory swapping issue? Also, are the drivers up to date on the graphics card? If I input "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 CPU issues" into google, I get a number of hits of people having high CPU usage issues.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I hadn't thought of storage.&nbsp; Something that I have seen come up on the Forge (foundry host) discord is that when using Chrome or a chromium based browser, you can run into issues if the hard drive is close to full.&nbsp; I think that was related to a failure to load assets on that platform though.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: On your laptop, how is your storage space? I'll admit I know nothing of Windows intricacies, so forgive me if any of this sounds horribly ignorant. But could it be a memory swapping issue? Also, are the drivers up to date on the graphics card? If I input "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 CPU issues" into google, I get a number of hits of people having high CPU usage issues. 90 GB / 222 GB free on internal SSD storage (plus has a 1 TB SSD external hard drive for storing session recordings.) Graphics card drivers are up to date. Outside of Roll20's VTT, the CPU usage has never been so high as to cause disruption to the use of the laptop.&nbsp; There is the typical increase in CPU when opening CPU-intensive programs or when the laptop is first turned on and loading all of the start up programs, but the CPU usage trails off after a brief bit of time.&nbsp; With the Roll20 VTT, the CPU usage is constant and does not trail off after a period of time. I feel like we are focusing on the wrong things though.&nbsp; Roll20's VTT worked fine on the laptop before the Windows and Doors update.&nbsp; It works fine on the DEV server that doesn't have the Windows and Doors update.&nbsp; Rather than going through my setup (which did not change) with a fine-tooth comb, why not have Roll20 explain the impact of the new features?&nbsp; If Roll20 does not understand the impact of the new features, they should just make a statement of "We don't know what's causing this and we can't offer any specific timeline for a fix."&nbsp; That way users who are affected can make other plans (i.e., move to a different device or re-evaluate if a different VTT is a better fit for them.) The radio silence from the Roll20 devs and implying its an individual user issue is frustrating. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In my experience, Roll20 rarely comments publicly on things that they are still investigating, with the exception of incremental fixes or requests for more information. I think you might have hit the nail on the head for it with&nbsp;"We don't know what's causing this and we can't offer any specific timeline for a fix", with the addition of, "but we are still working on it". Example, the popout behavior on Chrome I know has been a bugbear for the devs for years. There have been several serious pushes to fix it but there was always something impeding a workable solution. It's finally been fixed (mostly), but Roll20 doesn't generally like to broadcast that sort of internal effort. Something like, "we'll say something publicly when we have something new to report." All this is my impression, of course.
keithcurtis said: In my experience, Roll20 rarely comments publicly on things that they are still investigating, with the exception of incremental fixes or requests for more information. I think you might have hit the nail on the head for it with&nbsp;"We don't know what's causing this and we can't offer any specific timeline for a fix", with the addition of, "but we are still working on it". That's my experience as well, which was part of what I referring to previously about a lack of transparency.&nbsp; If you want your paying customers to feel confidence in your product, transparent communications are the key.&nbsp; I realize Roll20 is a niche product that likely does not have the money or staff to prioritize this issue, but hopefully it has been a learning lesson for them (i.e., test changes such as these more widely before releasing to production.) For me personally, this is a dead issue.&nbsp; I've already spent way too much time trying to figure out a workaround to be able to continue using the laptop.&nbsp; For anyone else that doesn't have the option of using a different device, I empathize with your plight. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Adam Caramon said: That's my experience as well, which was part of what I referring to previously about a lack of transparency.&nbsp; If you want your paying customers to feel confidence in your product, transparent communications are the key.&nbsp; I realize Roll20 is a niche product that likely does not have the money or staff to prioritize this issue, but hopefully it has been a learning lesson for them (i.e., test changes such as these more widely before releasing to production.) To be fair, that's been my experience with most software developing companies once they get past a certain size. I've used Adobe Products for 35+ years, and this sort of behavior is pretty common in that environment. Quark was even more silent. Apple doesn't tell folks what's going on in support and R&amp;D. And I understand the reasons why, even though it sometimes feels to users like no one is listening.