Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

High Processor Usage(Chrome)

Edited 1674346393
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have deleted my own post, since it was off topic.
I certainly did not mean to imply your statements were a requirement by Roll20 - I will happily re-word my post. As far as giving you the benefit of the doubt, the only way that's possible is if people know of the financial benefits you receive.  I'm sure the vast majority of people would give you the benefit of the doubt based on how much assistance you have provided to people over the years.  This is what absolutely baffles me about Roll20 - disclose it and let people decide for themselves.  What is the rationale for not disclosing?  That encourages people to suspect there is something nefarious afoot. I will leave my posts up in the hope that Roll20 will consider asking any users that receive financial benefits from them to make disclosure a requirement.  I think it would be a benefit to the community as a whole. -Adam
I Just hope things didn't get totally derailed here. Still using a lot of processing power over here.
Jake W. said: I Just hope things didn't get totally derailed here. Still using a lot of processing power over here. If you think my posts are somehow going to prevent Roll20 from fixing the processing power issue, I'll be happy to delete them. -Adam
The fact that it bring us to a new page should be fine.
Seeing this myself.  Had to switch browsers.  Doesn't happen on Firefox for me, but Chrome was pegged to 100% on ALL cores.  It just went bonkers.  Interactions in the browser were nearly impossible, and it was hampering every other process on my machine (like Discord). No problem at all in Firefox.  For now. It's just bizarre.
Michael J. said: Seeing this myself.  Had to switch browsers.  Doesn't happen on Firefox for me, but Chrome was pegged to 100% on ALL cores.  It just went bonkers.  Interactions in the browser were nearly impossible, and it was hampering every other process on my machine (like Discord). No problem at all in Firefox.  For now. It's just bizarre. It's def better in Firefox. But still isn't ideal. Still lags alot.
Michael J. said: Seeing this myself.  Had to switch browsers.  Doesn't happen on Firefox for me, but Chrome was pegged to 100% on ALL cores.  It just went bonkers.  Interactions in the browser were nearly impossible, and it was hampering every other process on my machine (like Discord). No problem at all in Firefox.  For now. It's just bizarre. check to see if your firefox is using your GPU. If it is, thats why its not hitting the CPU so hard, due to hardware acceleration its splitting the work between the 2. But in the end it shouldn't be hitting either of them the way its been doing recently, using tons of resources doing nothing.

Edited 1674869979
Not wanting to let this go quiet, Roll20 is STILL causing both Chrome and Firefox to use immense amount of resources when a game is open on the viewed tab. Even with hardware acceleration on Roll20 it's causing massive strain on the CPU and GPU at the same time. Both bouncing between 20-40% usage idling when in the past it used to idle at 2% cpu usage when I had a million tabs open in chrome and just had a game open doing nothing.
Jake W. said: Not wanting to let this go quiet, Roll20 is STILL causing both Chrome and Firefox to use immense amount of resources when a game is open on the viewed tab. Even with hardware acceleration on Roll20 it's causing massive strain on the CPU and GPU at the same time. Both bouncing between 20-40% usage idling when in the past it used to idle at 2% cpu usage when I had a million tabs open in chrome and just had a game open doing nothing. Yeah. Same. But they said they were working on it. Hopefully that's true and they didn't just decide to ignore it. :/ I wonder if we can get a bare-bones version of roll20 like we used to have? I honestly don't use any of the features besides fog of war due to how much everything else lags
Last Night's game was horrid. Actually crashed my computer near the end this time -__- Was a slog to do anything. I do hope they're still working on this.
I had this issue for about a month. Found and read through this thread today. I was and still getting peak cpu on Chrome and Edge. Switching to Firefox did help. Mostly posting to increase visibility in this post.  Whenever Roll20 is the active tab my CPU spikes to 100%. Minimizing or just switching tabs would drop the CPU usage. Hardware acceleration has been switched on and off. I only use fog of war in my maps, no dynamic lighting or the windows/doors feature. Fps capped at 30. Voice and video turned off totally. 
Also been having this issue: Switching browsers did not help, but setting firefox to low priority in task manager seems to work as a work around. Have no idea why it just wants to eat CPU only when its the main tab: it runs fine when set to low priority. 
Once more, don't want this to die and to remain visible for people having the issue. Chrome and firefox are still using massive amounts of resources even when limited to 30fps. In fact adding the limit did absolutely nothing to fix this issue. But the same game copied to the Dev server runs smoothly with very little resource use. 
Jake W. said: Once more, don't want this to die and to remain visible for people having the issue. Chrome and firefox are still using massive amounts of resources even when limited to 30fps. In fact adding the limit did absolutely nothing to fix this issue. But the same game copied to the Dev server runs smoothly with very little resource use.  So is it as easy as just copying the game to the Dev server? I don't think I've ever even ventured into the dev server.  I'm honestly ready to try anything to get my games to lag less >>;
Yeah, go to "My Games" and click "Access the Dev Server" on the right. Sign in, then click it again. Click the white box on the right immediately under "Custom Sheet Sandbox".
Jake W. said: Yeah, go to "My Games" and click "Access the Dev Server" on the right. Sign in, then click it again. Click the white box on the right immediately under "Custom Sheet Sandbox". Awesome! If after this week they don't fix it. I'm def giving it a try. It's painful trying to run roll20 as of late. So slow..
Sadly this only works if its your game. If you play in other people's games then you are outa luck.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Unfortunately, the Dev server is scheduled for deprecation next month. There are other disadvantages to running there, as well. You have no access to your art or audio libraries.
keithcurtis said: Unfortunately, the Dev server is scheduled for deprecation next month. There are other disadvantages to running there, as well. You have no access to your art or audio libraries. Damd. Looks like i'm outta luck than no matter what lol.
New user here, just started campaign prep and I'm experiencing the exact same issue... Idle is at 1-3% 1.5-2GHz, as soon as I launch my game I'm yoinked up to 70-75% 4.6GHz. I'm filling out that google form now as I'm in the "older gen" category (8th gen i7) but I did notice if I drag the compendium side of the screen to take over almost the entire VTT, my usage is  back down to 7%. This was happening in both fully updated versions of Firefox and Chrome, cache cleared and extensions turned off.
Also having this problem which sucks cuz i wanted to get back into using roll20 but 100 percent cpu definitely is a deterrent 
Time for my weekly PSA about this issue. Roll20 still causes chrome to have massive CPU usage while doing nothing. But I just tested on Firefox and my CPU was a cool 5% while i was prepping for my game tomorrow. I'll provide another update then if it still hold out on 5%.
GPU was flexing super hard last night with firefox.
Jake W. said: GPU was flexing super hard last night with firefox. yeah i notice it's fine if you're not doing anything on firefox lol. But as soon as you press any buttons or move any tokens it suddenly spikes hard. >>;
Same problem here, changing browser doesn't solve. 
It has been a week. It is still happening. It's still a problem. You are not alone.
Jake W., would you mind sending in a Help Request if you haven't already? That'll help us get more details and see what we can do.  If you have sent one in, could you DM me the ticket number? Thanks!
I found using Firefox, toggling OFF all ad blockers and what not (whitelisting doesn't seem to work), make it run better. Still not as smooth as it used to be in updates past. But runs much better with this setup.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mr. NumNums said: I found using Firefox, toggling OFF all ad blockers and what not (whitelisting doesn't seem to work), make it run better. Still not as smooth as it used to be in updates past. But runs much better with this setup. If that helps, then maybe running in a Private Browsing window might be simplest.
Hi All Are others still experiencing this issue? Still seems to jump to my CPU/GPU up significantly when a Roll20 game is open no matter the browser, private or not.
When I use it the audio/video on the zoom call we use while we play gets super choppy. I have to keep my character sheet page open instead of the map which is a pain. Are they working on it or not? It has been months of issues.

Edited 1678751564
Diane Dumptruck Devil said: When I use it the audio/video on the zoom call we use while we play gets super choppy. I have to keep my character sheet page open instead of the map which is a pain. Are they working on it or not? It has been months of issues. I have recently spoken with a dev on the matter.  For the moment, it's just the way it is while they are working on the thing that will fix the situation. In the mean time using hardware acceleration will mitigate the issue until then. While I know this doesn't solve the issue, it should hold us over until they finish their developed solution.
Afraid hardware acceleration appears to have no effect for me :( As have all the other proposed solutions providing no real change.
James NFA87 said: Afraid hardware acceleration appears to have no effect for me :( As have all the other proposed solutions providing no real change. Have you tried firefox with all addons turned off? (no just whitelisted) That seems to work for me.
Yup, still have issues in either browser. If I dare open any other program whilst the roll20 game window is shown, instant 100% gpu and lock ups a plenty!
It's been a few weeks... Any news? Are others still experiencing issues?

Edited 1681591863
As far as I know the issue is still on going. The fact it's making your GPU go at 100% along with the CPU is odd, do you have a screenshot of this? Also are you limiting fps?
Roll20 is causing incredibly high CPU usage. When I have Hardware acceleration active it's hitting my GPU just as hard. I know its Roll20 because the high usage only occurs when roll20's tab is the selected tab. Once I swap to another tab, chrome's CPU/GPU usage drops to normal levels. Exact same issue... turning off new integrated video drops cpu ussage to 20%

Edited 1681663309
Jake W. said: As far as I know the issue is still on going. The fact it's making your GPU go at 100% along with the CPU is odd, do you have a screenshot of this? Also are you limiting fps? Not quite 100% GPU. Most commonly its the CPU thats 100%. This is with only Roll20 tab open, active game and task manager. FPS limited to 30. No dynamic lighting on map. No Roll20 voice/microphone. This is following a recent complete reset of my laptop and starting from scratch. Obviously task manager is contibuting to this, but as you can imaging, replace this with discord/zoom and its unplayable. As mentioned before, all programs worked fine, with multilpe tabs and programs running at the same time until the updated just prior to the start of this thread.
The problem STILL exists! I reset my laptop and tried again. The only other program that was open was Discord. The laptop was very slow and stopped responding in places, the fans were running at full blast! And I do NOT feel that it is getting better, rather the opposite!
Also for me th e problem still exists! Formatted the pc and reinstalled windows from zero but nothig changed. I'm tired to play in these conditions.
Yeah, we just realized that this has been plaguing our group for months and it was making it impossible for our GM to use Discord tonight because Chrome was taking up 77% of his CPU, had him switch to a new tab and now it's at 0% and his voice is crystal clear. I hope this gets resolved soon!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would be nice to track this down. I don't encounter the issue on even a mid-range Chromebook or my Mac Mini, nor do the PC users in my group, so I don't think it is necessarily tied to computer power--some folks with much more powerful computers are relentlessly plagued by it.
Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
The issue has started happening to me again as of last week. A simple test with a basic new map page and an open CoC character sheet results in... With acceleration enabled (the numbers vary slightly): * CPU jumps from 2% to 15% * GPU jumps from 0% to 35% * General experience is better, but still a bit laggy such as when scrolling. Other apps on laptop lag a bit as well. The GPU fans kick in hard (on macbook pro). With acceleration disabled: * CPU jumps from 2% to 158% * GPU stays at 0% * General experience is poor. Everything is extremely laggy. Scrolling or clicking takes a while. Other apps on laptop are severely affected as well. No GPU fan sounds.
It's very laggy for me. Spikes bad if moving or saving anything.
its happening to me as well. on osx with chrome and firefox, i could hardly participate. as soon as i click "join with audio and video" the whole thing spikes, its pretty bonkers
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I can report that now it's happening with Firefox in a Private Browsing window too.  The TOR1e game on Sunday had my Mac Mini fan running hard for the whole session. It's getting worse , not better. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Andrew R. said: I can report that now it's happening with Firefox in a Private Browsing window too.  The TOR1e game on Sunday had my Mac Mini fan running hard for the whole session. It's getting worse , not better.  Is your Mac Mini an M1/M2, or a pre-Apple silicon? I run an M1, and have never heard the fan come on. If it is an M1/M2, have you toggled Hardware Acceleration?