Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

High Processor Usage(Chrome)

keithcurtis said: Adam Caramon said: That's my experience as well, which was part of what I referring to previously about a lack of transparency.  If you want your paying customers to feel confidence in your product, transparent communications are the key.  I realize Roll20 is a niche product that likely does not have the money or staff to prioritize this issue, but hopefully it has been a learning lesson for them (i.e., test changes such as these more widely before releasing to production.) To be fair, that's been my experience with most software developing companies once they get past a certain size. I've used Adobe Products for 35+ years, and this sort of behavior is pretty common in that environment. Quark was even more silent. Apple doesn't tell folks what's going on in support and R&D. And I understand the reasons why, even though it sometimes feels to users like no one is listening. I'm not sure that's a great comparison.  If Adobe pushed an update and suddenly my Adobe Pro functionality was severely hampered, I would expect a call into Adobe would have the issue resolved fairly quickly.  Asking for a response on issue resolution is significantly different then asking a company to reveal its R&D work. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This has not been my experience. Example: The move from Illustrator 5 to 5.5 ushered in a new typesetting engine, that caused type to flow slightly differently. It may not sound like much, but this caused thousands of dollars of lost productivity and time wasted in outputting new film for color plates that had previously trapped to the half-point, for the press I used to work for. It took Adobe over a year to admit to the problem and rectify it. There are many, many less overt examples, but equally un-commented on.
Certainly not an expert with Illustrator, but out of curiosity, were you unable to keep using version 5 even though version 5.5 was released?  With most versioned software, if you run into an issue, one of the recommended fixes is rolling back to the previous version. -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
IIRC, yes, we eventually had to. However, it was a corporate environment, which meant delays in distribution. And of course, at first we had no idea what the issue was, except presses had to go down while new plates were made. And management gets very touchy when presses aren't running. No matter what it looks like might be coming off a press, they are actually printing money. But we are drifting out of forum bounds, probably. I'm glad you have an alternative, and wish there was a way I could help work out whatever issue it is between Roll20 and your laptop.
Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
My group has been seeing this issue for I guess over a month now. Since the windows lighting update thing. Chrome slows down to the point of impacting functionality or being unusable. Processor spike. Opening character sheets and icons, rolling and other basic behavior often doesn't work. I'm the GM so I suffer through, but the players have all gone to iPad, which seems to work better. Not perfect but better. We're tracking stuff on google docs / paper since it is painful to open character sheets too frequently during play. I submitted a bug awhile back, filed out the separate form, tried the work arounds, etc. Dev server works great btw. I want to just play on the dev server now. Can the windows feature be rolled back yet? Not trying to be mean, but I really don't care about advanced lighting or doors/windows, etc. I'm not trying to play a video game here. And the fact that we have to tweak with graphics card settings to fix this bug is really not a good sign of things to come. This is not what I want/need out of online roleplaying. This is also not a good sign of what happens if you roll out features toggled on for pro players. It looks like we are having unintended impacts to performance. Maybe the toggle is not working. Maybe the code got rewritten in order to support the new feature and the refactored code is the problem. Who knows (not me certainly, but the software dev in me is curious). But testing on the dev server would probably help. Big thumbs up for that. Here's a video of one of the weird bugs that happens since the update... <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czxCwriBbKg" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czxCwriBbKg</a> This does not happen on the dev server. It's a silly little behavior, but you can see how the graphics are being drawn differently and it kind of struggles to perform. Sometimes when I create a new icon, the bars end up somewhere else on the screen. I don't know if this is a symptom or could &nbsp;maybe help track down the cause. You can also notice the bars are rounded on the edges where they used to be square and are square on the dev server.
Robert B. said: Dev server works great btw. I want to just play on the dev server now. Can the windows feature be rolled back yet? Not trying to be mean, but I really don't care about advanced lighting or doors/windows, etc. I'm not trying to play a video game here. And the fact that we have to tweak with graphics card settings to fix this bug is really not a good sign of things to come. This is not what I want/need out of online roleplaying. This is also not a good sign of what happens if you roll out features toggled on for pro players. It looks like we are having unintended impacts to performance. Maybe the toggle is not working. Maybe the code got rewritten in order to support the new feature and the refactored code is the problem. Who knows (not me certainly, but the software dev in me is curious). But testing on the dev server would probably help. Big thumbs up for that. I can't imagine they would roll back doors/windows - they seem to have made a calculated decision that the number of users negatively impacted by this change is worth the added functionality for everyone not affected. Testing on the DEV server would definitely help - I would guess that once again they decided it is not worth their effort / the users that are negatively affected is the cost of doing business.&nbsp; You are unlikely to get any kind of official response from the Roll20 devs that would provide any kind of precise information.&nbsp; They seem to be particularly adverse to responding to criticism / admitting they made mistakes (i.e., you might get a "we're sorry you are experiencing this issue," but very unlikely to get a "we're sorry we made this change which negatively impacted your use of our product.") Based on the lack of transparency, my guess would be the only way they would change their behavior (i.e., test things before rolling them out to production) is if they notice an impact to their bottom line that is directly connected to users leaving the product specifically due to their failure to test properly.&nbsp; Its hard to gauge the volume of users affected by this issue, but my guess is its not enough for them to be concerned that is going to happen. -Adam
Howdy folks! In another thread, we're talking about launching an update this week that should help with this. Please continue to share feedback and let us know if that affects the processor usage.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It looks like that update is live. Thanks Bianca!
Things appear back to normal. Real test for me will be the game this Saturday. Fingers crossed nothing breaks I suppose but for now performance looks much better.
All back to normal for me to now thanks to this!

Edited 1673477496
Roll20 is still super heavy on the CPU for me, even at 30 fps. Tested in firefox as well, and still super heavy cpu/gpu usage there as well.

Edited 1673481111
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Out of curiosity, Jake, what are the specs on that map? It looks to be gigantic. If so, do you get similar behavior on, say, a 30x30 map? Edit: I'm counting 64 x 39 cells on just the visible section, and the scrollbars indicate that the map is 5-6 times larger than that in each dimension. So maybe 300 x 250?

Edited 1673499085
keithcurtis said: Out of curiosity, Jake, what are the specs on that map? It looks to be gigantic. If so, do you get similar behavior on, say, a 30x30 map? Edit: I'm counting 64 x 39 cells on just the visible section, and the scrollbars indicate that the map is 5-6 times larger than that in each dimension. So maybe 300 x 250? Made a brand new game, completely empty, and turned everything off and capped the frames. It used to not use any CPU at all unless people were doing things in the game. But now on an empty game with nothing in it its churning out...something.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well that sucks. It sounds like this is a fix for some, but not others. I can't remember, did you fill out and submit the form from upthread?
Yeah, it's my thread :P
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sorry, forgot to look back. Lost track of who's said what. :D
Jake W. said: keithcurtis said: Out of curiosity, Jake, what are the specs on that map? It looks to be gigantic. If so, do you get similar behavior on, say, a 30x30 map? Edit: I'm counting 64 x 39 cells on just the visible section, and the scrollbars indicate that the map is 5-6 times larger than that in each dimension. So maybe 300 x 250? Made a brand new game, completely empty, and turned everything off and capped the frames. It used to not use any CPU at all unless people were doing things in the game. But now on an empty game with nothing in it its churning out...something. You know once it loads it really shouldn't lag. Even if the map is MASSIVE. Btw Jake, Big maps are king keep up the good work lol. I've never used anything but huge maps to be fair from the beginning. The only thing that seemed to bog down roll20 back than is once I got into larger number of Char sheets. But now with all the random updates to things i just gen don't care about, it runs like garbage regardless of map size. I just wonder at what point they stopped prioritizing optimization and ease of access... Not too long ago dynamic lighting was really cool and didn't kill any of my group's computers. But now I can't even use it with my gaming setup without it lagging so bad it's impossible to use. :'( And I honestly liked it. There was alot of cool things that could be done. But just kills my games. If it can't run on everything, than you failed as far as i'm concerned.
Bianca said: Howdy folks! In another thread, we're talking about launching an update this week that should help with this. Please continue to share feedback and let us know if that affects the processor usage. Btw this seems like a really cool idea. Thanks for the effort roll20. It seems to work abit so far for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see how it works game day ^^
Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Still happening for me as well. I don't notice a difference from before, but will find out this weekend I guess.
I can also say that I tested another game on the dev servers. Runs just fine.

Edited 1673661898
Ok now I'm getting normal low usage in firefox.
And now it went back up....
Hi All Unfortunately I also dont appear to have seen any change. Once Roll20 is open in a game, it all seems to drop to crawl speed :(.

Edited 1673718857
Parou
Sheet Author
I thought it was finally at least partly fixed after 1.5 months by now, since Roll20 "only" gives me half the GPU usage than before. But then I took a look at the graphics tab and realized the only thing that changed is that it now has an FPS cap setting that was set to 30 fps by default explaining why it also suddenly looked kinda choppy. So putting it back up revealed that nothing got fixed, as I watched the GPU usage return to exactly what it was since this initial update happened. How is there still no fix in such a large scale project, where the main point about using it versus other VTT was, that the GPU usage was basically 1% when not actively doing something?
Seems to lag quite abit still. :/ IF i try to make a new sheet it stutters. IF i try to move something it lags. IF i try to open a sheet it freezes for a time. Just bad all around.
I'll confirm the issue is fixed on my end, no more high CPU usage after the FPS patch. Today's session went about as smoothly as things used to be before the Windows/Doors update.&nbsp;
Still happening to me....
Whatever change was pushed has made it significantly worse for me.&nbsp; I'm on vacation at the moment so was hoping to use my laptop. My laptop has had high CPU usage since the Windows/Door update, but it was still usable (i.e., the CPU usage did go 70-80%, fans were working overtime.)&nbsp; Tonight as I tried to open Roll20 in either Chrome or Firefox, solid 100% CPU usage right away without any letting up over time.&nbsp; Impossible to play.&nbsp; Had to cancel tonight's session. Roll20 needs to figure out what this is and update their specs to indicate certain devices/GPUs/whatever are not compatible with Roll20. -Adam
Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
For my group, the experience seems to have gone back to normal. We played saturday and sunday. Saturday it was still bad, but then suddenly while we we were playing we all noticed it had stopped around late saturday night. Then sunday everything worked great. CPU back down to 1% ish.
Adam Caramon, were you able to access the FPS settings? Did that make a difference? For folks still having issues, please send in a Help Request . That lets us see specific games where this is an issue, and maybe find some commonalities to address it. Thanks!
Bianca said: Adam Caramon, were you able to access the FPS settings? Did that make a difference? For folks still having issues, please send in a Help Request . That lets us see specific games where this is an issue, and maybe find some commonalities to address it. Thanks! The FPS settings look to have defaulted to 30 FPS.&nbsp; That did not help trying to run Roll20 on my laptop (in fact, it is worse than it was a couple of weeks ago.) Do we need to fill out a Help Request if we have already filled out the specific form Drespar asked us to fill out previously? -Adam
Bianca said: Adam Caramon, were you able to access the FPS settings? Did that make a difference? For folks still having issues, please send in a Help Request . That lets us see specific games where this is an issue, and maybe find some commonalities to address it. Thanks! FPS settings also did not make a difference for my issues. I know most in this thread have already filled out the google form posted earlier, which included identifying specific games. Is there a certain way to fill out the help request form to ensure all of us with this same issue are grouped together?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Adam Caramon said: Bianca said: Adam Caramon, were you able to access the FPS settings? Did that make a difference? For folks still having issues, please send in a Help Request . That lets us see specific games where this is an issue, and maybe find some commonalities to address it. Thanks! The FPS settings look to have defaulted to 30 FPS.&nbsp; That did not help trying to run Roll20 on my laptop (in fact, it is worse than it was a couple of weeks ago.) Do we need to fill out a Help Request if we have already filled out the specific form Drespar asked us to fill out previously? -Adam I'm guessing you can just reference the game, if the previous form required it. Currently, it seems that this has helped some folks and not others, so they'll need to identify those still having the problem. Hopefully a smaller pool to compare.
keithcurtis said: I'm guessing you can just reference the game, if the previous form required it. Currently, it seems that this has helped some folks and not others, so they'll need to identify those still having the problem. Hopefully a smaller pool to compare. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I was assuming we'd get an update from Drespar/Roll20.&nbsp; "Based on the info provided in the form, we made x changes.&nbsp; We believe this will resolve issues for some/most/all users.&nbsp; Please test and let us know if still experiencing issues." This is a lot of work for end-users to do with only one-way communication. If Roll20 wants additional testing from affected devices they need to provide more information.&nbsp; Otherwise I'm considering whatever changes Roll20 pushed to make my laptop no longer meet the system requirements of Roll20.&nbsp; I definitely won't rely on it working again until concrete information from Roll20 is provided. -Adam
Hey folks, I'm glad to see that this update addressed some of the issues that folks were experiencing. Certainly unfortunate that it is continuing for others, however. I wish this were a more easily reproducible issue in order to dissect and research more. W hen we have an issue that is system specific/reliant it definitely complicates matters. I and others on the team genuinely appreciate the patience from everyone as we continue chipping away at this.&nbsp; Regarding continued reports of high CPU/GPU load specifically there are a few things I'd recommend checking out (and please forgive me if some of this information is repeats!): 1) Check that your browser supports WebGL. For most modern browsers this shouldn't be an issue but you can verify by checking here&nbsp; <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> &nbsp;it will state in a green status bar towards the top "This browser supports WebGL 1/2" 2) Check your hardware acceleration settings. To start off: For Chrome users you can navigate here to check your hardware acceleration:&nbsp; chrome://settings/?search=hardware+acceleration For Firefox navigate to&nbsp; about:preferences &nbsp;and scroll to the "Performance" section 9/10 times our recommendation is to make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled for your browser. This is intended to help make sure that everything is running smoothly and you don't run into major hiccups. However, especially for lower end systems or laptops -- it may be worth a try to actually disable &nbsp;this feature and give it a try. In some cases this can alleviate the stress on the system but you are likely to encounter some wonkiness elsewhere. 3) Check your power settings. This is especially important for laptops or other portable devices. Many will make changes behind the scenes regardless of existing settings/preferences because the power settings will override those selections to conserve power. This third point may be especially true, due to some of the latest Chrome releases including some changes to improve performance and power consumption . These line up with most (though perhaps not all) of the report timelines as well as many reports referencing laptop devices. If power settings are configured in such a way, it may be automatically triggering these settings and causing some unexpected behavior (i.e. less power to the CPU resulting in a higher percentage being used to compensate). Though you may want to experiment with these settings in general to see if these is a potential resolution to be found there. Id recommend folks give these steps a try and see if things improve, if not, outline what you tried and respond to this thread. These next two points are just to lay out some general information folks should be aware of that may affect usability of Roll20. Though our support team will try to provide workarounds and potential solutions we can't guarantee it will fully resolve issues that stem from these situations. 4) Device Age. In may cases, manufacturers will halt auto updates for devices which can cause problems. Especially when your device says that your chrome is "up-to-date" but is 10+ versions behind. Many manufacturers will offer an "End of Life" or "Auto Update Policy" that can be referred to. Chromebooks and ChromeOS devices are the most notable of the bunch for this type of policy. You may need to check your device's specific websites or channels to find similar information (if it exists). If you are using a Chromebook, you can see a list here:&nbsp; <a href="https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en" rel="nofollow">https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en</a> 5) Device Age pt 2. While we aim to be compatible with as wide a range of systems as possible, Roll20 cannot indefinitely support devices as the pool of "older" devices will always continue to grow. We aim to keep our recommended specs documentation up to date though there may be some exceptions or extenuating circumstances to general performance issues folks might experience.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks for the detailed response, Drespar.
Drespar - I ran through all of the requested steps you provided above, no red flags with my laptop.&nbsp; I logged into Roll20 Chrome, really bad CPU usage.&nbsp; I disabled hardware acceleration and checked again, no improvement.&nbsp; I then re-enabled hardware acceleration, and then noticed that Roll20 seemed to be working fine. This is probably the third time over the course of a couple of months that I have toggled hardware acceleration off, tested, then turned it back on.&nbsp; It did not help the previous two times.&nbsp; Could a recent change have required toggling hardware acceleration again for it to take effect? Next I tested Firefox without changing anything (no toggling hardware acceleration) - no high CPU usage (previously Firefox was unplayable.)&nbsp; There is sometimes a one second delay when a token is clicked before the bubbles appear, but definitely playable.&nbsp; Interestingly I notice that in Firefox when I close a door created with the new Windows and Doors feature, the door turns into a black circle.&nbsp; If you click off it, it becomes invisible.&nbsp; You can still click it, but there is no visual indicator that there is a door there: Has there been any changes to how the doors/windows functionality works that could explain the above? -Adam
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Adam Caramon said: Drespar - I ran through all of the requested steps you provided above, no red flags with my laptop.&nbsp; I logged into Roll20 Chrome, really bad CPU usage.&nbsp; I disabled hardware acceleration and checked again, no improvement.&nbsp; I then re-enabled hardware acceleration, and then noticed that Roll20 seemed to be working fine. This is probably the third time over the course of a couple of months that I have toggled hardware acceleration off, tested, then turned it back on.&nbsp; It did not help the previous two times.&nbsp; Could a recent change have required toggling hardware acceleration again for it to take effect? -Adam Hey Adam, could you let me know if this change really does "stick"? I have one player who is consistently booted from mid-game*. He doesn't have the technological skills to pass back to me what is going on (plus my Windows to Mac translation skills are low). If this really does wind up to be a viable solution, I will pass that on to him. Thanks in advance. *It's been an on-again-off-again problem for years, so it may not be related, but one can hope...

Edited 1674091166
keithcurtis said: Adam Caramon said: Drespar - I ran through all of the requested steps you provided above, no red flags with my laptop.&nbsp; I logged into Roll20 Chrome, really bad CPU usage.&nbsp; I disabled hardware acceleration and checked again, no improvement.&nbsp; I then re-enabled hardware acceleration, and then noticed that Roll20 seemed to be working fine. This is probably the third time over the course of a couple of months that I have toggled hardware acceleration off, tested, then turned it back on.&nbsp; It did not help the previous two times.&nbsp; Could a recent change have required toggling hardware acceleration again for it to take effect? -Adam Hey Adam, could you let me know if this change really does "stick"? I have one player who is consistently booted from mid-game*. He doesn't have the technological skills to pass back to me what is going on (plus my Windows to Mac translation skills are low). If this really does wind up to be a viable solution, I will pass that on to him. Thanks in advance. *It's been an on-again-off-again problem for years, so it may not be related, but one can hope... Yeah - I can check it in a few days to see if it is truly fixed or not.&nbsp; I'm also noticing (middle of a session right now) that some players are having difficulty moving through open doors.&nbsp; I'm wondering if there has been a recent change that explains all these issues.&nbsp; I noticed in another thread Ashton mentioned that the bug of being able to see through secret doors was resolved, so I am assuming some change was pushed to production today. Edit:&nbsp; I see a hotfix has been pushed for the doors issue. -Adam

Edited 1674175442
I would like to reiterate that my games on the Dev server are still A OK. They don't cause an increase in CPU usage at all. Coasting on a fine 2.6% cpu usage. I even copied over my games from the production server onto the Dev server and they worked absolutely perfectly. Even my largest game with the most journal entries.&nbsp;
Jake W. said: I would like to reiterate that my games on the Dev server are still A OK. They don't cause an increase in CPU usage at all. Coasting on a fine 2.6% cpu usage. I even copied over my games from the production server onto the Dev server and they worked absolutely perfectly. Even my largest game with the most journal entries.&nbsp; Hey Jake, Out of curiosity, have you tried toggling hardware acceleration in Chrome?&nbsp; If not, give it a try: Chrome -&gt; settings -&gt; system -&gt; use hardware acceleration when available. If the slider is currently enabled, disable it and click Relaunch. Then re-enable it, and click Relaunch again. I've done this a couple of time before and it did not seem to help, but this most recent time it did.&nbsp; If I disable hardware acceleration now CPU usage shoots up to 100%.&nbsp; If I enable it, ~20%.&nbsp; For some reason even when hardware acceleration was turned on, Chrome or Roll20 wasn't recognizing that it was on, thus toggling it seemed to do the trick. If that doesn't help, then if you have a GPU I would guess that Chrome / Roll20 is not recognizing it, and you'd have to try to figure out why.&nbsp; If you have a complicated setup (multiple monitors, or a docking station, or a KVM switch, etc.) try to simplify your setup as much as possible for testing.&nbsp; PC connected to a single monitor from the GPU port to the PC.&nbsp; Then try the toggling steps above and see if that works. -Adam

Edited 1674244243
Adam Caramon said: Jake W. said: I would like to reiterate that my games on the Dev server are still A OK. They don't cause an increase in CPU usage at all. Coasting on a fine 2.6% cpu usage. I even copied over my games from the production server onto the Dev server and they worked absolutely perfectly. Even my largest game with the most journal entries.&nbsp; Hey Jake, Out of curiosity, have you tried toggling hardware acceleration in Chrome?&nbsp; If not, give it a try: Chrome -&gt; settings -&gt; system -&gt; use hardware acceleration when available. If the slider is currently enabled, disable it and click Relaunch. Then re-enable it, and click Relaunch again. I've done this a couple of time before and it did not seem to help, but this most recent time it did.&nbsp; If I disable hardware acceleration now CPU usage shoots up to 100%.&nbsp; If I enable it, ~20%.&nbsp; For some reason even when hardware acceleration was turned on, Chrome or Roll20 wasn't recognizing that it was on, thus toggling it seemed to do the trick. If that doesn't help, then if you have a GPU I would guess that Chrome / Roll20 is not recognizing it, and you'd have to try to figure out why.&nbsp; If you have a complicated setup (multiple monitors, or a docking station, or a KVM switch, etc.) try to simplify your setup as much as possible for testing.&nbsp; PC connected to a single monitor from the GPU port to the PC.&nbsp; Then try the toggling steps above and see if that works. -Adam Turning on Hardware acceleration does lower the CPU usage of the browser but that doesn't really solve the issue. It shifts a portion of the work that being done to the GPU. But now I have a CPU at 25% and a GPU running at 40%. Why are they working so hard when before I Just had a CPU at 2%?
Jake W. said: Turning on Hardware acceleration does lower the CPU usage of the browser but that doesn't really solve the issue. It shifts a portion of the work that being done to the GPU. But now I have a CPU at 25% and a GPU running at 40%. Why are they working so hard when before I Just had a CPU at 2%? I can only speculate, but I would guess that the new Windows/Doors functionality is processor-intensive.&nbsp; When you have a GPU to rely on (and hardware acceleration turned on), you probably don't notice the increase demand.&nbsp; But if you don't, then the extra draw is straining your CPU. -Adam
Adam Caramon said: I can only speculate, but I would guess that the new Windows/Doors functionality is processor-intensive.&nbsp; When you have a GPU to rely on (and hardware acceleration turned on), you probably don't notice the increase demand.&nbsp; But if you don't, then the extra draw is straining your CPU. -Adam I have several important tasks running in the background of my machine. I do notice when that much CPU and/or GPU is being used. I would rather not dictate how I can run background programs because something fell apart on roll20's end if I don't have to.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I’d like to know why the Windows &amp; Doors feature affects me at all when none of my games have any Dynamic Lighting enabled. I use the original Fog of War only because I run 13th Age and Dynamic Lighting is unnecessary.&nbsp;
Andrew R. said: I’d like to know why the Windows &amp; Doors feature affects me at all when none of my games have any Dynamic Lighting enabled. I use the original Fog of War only because I run 13th Age and Dynamic Lighting is unnecessary.&nbsp; Good question tbh
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yes. The high CPU activity that some users experience seems to have come about at around&nbsp;the same time. There has never been a definite link between the two other than the timing. Since some users experience it and some don't, I don't think that the issue is just Doors and Windows, but some specific interaction of hardware/software on user and server ends that is not cooperating well, and has yet to be identified. Hence the requests from Dev for more info.

Edited 1674347798
keithcurtis said: Yes. The high CPU activity that some users experience seems to have come about at around&nbsp;the same time. There has never been a definite link between the two other than the timing. Since some users experience it and some don't, I don't think that the issue is just Doors and Windows, but some specific interaction of hardware/software on user and server ends that is not cooperating well, and has yet to be identified. Hence the requests from Dev for more info. Edited for clarity and spelling. That's pure deflection Keith.&nbsp; The timing of the release of the new Windows feature lined up perfectly with individuals experiencing issues with Roll20.&nbsp; The DEV server (which does not have the Windows/Doors feature) has no issues for those same people.&nbsp; Without any evidence to the contrary, it is logical for users to draw a connection between the two.&nbsp; If Roll20 wants to prove otherwise, they certainly have the ability. This is a perfect example of why we need disclosure of potential conflicts of interest.&nbsp; You are entitled to your own opinion, but other users are entitled to know that you receive financial benefits from Roll20.&nbsp; This would allow them to gauge for themselves any potential conflict of interest.&nbsp; Perhaps this is your honest opinion and in no way influenced by those financial benefits, but let users draw their own conclusions. -Adam

Edited 1674346364
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For the record, the only constraints on my speech are the Code of Conduct that holds us all, and NDAs that are a natural consequence of Conversion Contract work. Users may freely draw their own conclusions, of course. This is not the my original post. I have deleted my own off-topic comments.
Keith - the last time this topic came up, Roll20 deleted a bunch of posts.&nbsp; If they will allow us to have this polite and open discussion, I am happy to continue. I said you receive financial benefits.&nbsp; I'm asserting that you receive the benefits of a Pro subscription and access to marketplace content, free of charge.&nbsp; If a regular user wanted to obtain the same access that you have, they would have to spend thousands of dollars.&nbsp; My opinion is that such financial benefits create a potential conflict of interest.&nbsp; I did not say you are a Roll20 mouthpiece (those were your words.) If I am wrong about the benefits that you receive, feel free to correct me. -Adam