Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

High Processor Usage(Chrome)

Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Strangely, it seems to be working ok in Safari this time (even if not supported). I'll test more this weekend.

Edited 1682594503
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Is your Mac Mini an M1/M2, or a pre-Apple silicon?  Mine is a 2014 model with an Intel CPU. I used Chrome until the CPU & GPU runaway made it unusable, then I switched to Firefox. Now the problem happens with Firefox too.  Firefox: 112.0.2 (64-bit) Mac mini (Late 2014) Processor: 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB
Hey All, I was experiencing this issue pretty frequently over the last month or so, maybe more. I was able to fix it by enabling the setting in Google Chrome, "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" located under Settings > System > and then enabling the option with that name,  Use Hardware Acceleration When Available. This is from inside Google Chrome's settings menu.  I've read this thread and noted that doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but it did for me. I should note this is a Windows desktop system, with good hardware. Hopefully this can fix some other people's issues as well. 

Edited 1682553291
Ice said: Hey All, I was experiencing this issue pretty frequently over the last month or so, maybe more. I was able to fix it by enabling the setting in Google Chrome, "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" located under Settings > System > and then enabling the option with that name,  Use Hardware Acceleration When Available. This is from inside Google Chrome's settings menu.  I've read this thread and noted that doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but it did for me. I should note this is a Windows desktop system, with good hardware. Hopefully this can fix some other people's issues as well.  The main thing about this thread is that, yes turning on hardware acceleration does reduce the burden on the CPU by making the GPU work, but that shouldn't be the case. When they added in windows to the dynamic lighting layer they changed something that caused certain people's machine to think there is some insane load on the system. This is easily shown by the fact that if you copy over your game to the development server which did not have windows added at the time(I don't know if that's still the case) roll20 worked perfectly. Without Hardware Acceleration active the same game that was causing 25% cpu usage and 45% GPU usage on production servers was using 5% cpu total on the development server. This issue is still not fixed. I was told they were working on it and a possible reason why this could be happening, but not given a time frame.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
While I don't dispute that there is absolutely an issue for some folks when using DL, the now-defunct dev server wasn't really a valid test. That code was already a year or so out of date. Too many other variables.
Before the release of Windows and Doors, no users were reporting this issue.  After release of Windows and Doors, many people started reporting the issue. Showing that the Dev server did not have this problem (and it also did not have the update that was believed to cause the issue) is further proof that the Windows and Doors update caused the issue. This is how the scientific method works.  You create a theory, and then you test the theory.  So far the testing supports the theory. -Adam
I would not go that far to say that the Doors and Windows Feature is the culprit. I'd rather say it is the change in the Engine used for the DL Layer (needed for the new feature) that does not work so well with certain graphic cards... Adam Caramon said: Before the release of Windows and Doors, no users were reporting this issue.  After release of Windows and Doors, many people started reporting the issue. Showing that the Dev server did not have this problem (and it also did not have the update that was believed to cause the issue) is further proof that the Windows and Doors update caused the issue. This is how the scientific method works.  You create a theory, and then you test the theory.  So far the testing supports the theory. -Adam

Edited 1682624423
TheMarkus1204 said: I would not go that far to say that the Doors and Windows Feature is the culprit. I'd rather say it is the change in the Engine used for the DL Layer (needed for the new feature) that does not work so well with certain graphic cards... I would argue that is a technicality.  If you are a user that was affected by this issue (as I was) - the primary question to you is going to be "Is this my fault?  Did I do something wrong?  Do I have a setting wrong?  Or - did Roll20 change something on their end that caused this negative impact on my / my group's play experience?"  I would further argue that all of the evidence so far points to this being a change on Roll20's end that caused issues on the users' ends as opposed to an individual user issue. If Roll20 knows the answer to this question, then they should explain it to the users / customers that pay for their product.  If they do not know the answer, then they should also explain what they have done so far and why they still do not have an answer.  I would guess most of the frustration comes from a lack of a definitive response on Roll20's behalf and a tendency for some in the community to point anywhere but Roll20 when issues arise. -Adam

Edited 1682868439
Mike
Plus
I am having a CPU issue as well. It hits for around 70%-75% for me.  I've gone through my entire campaign and deleted tons of music and almost cleaned out my library of assets (if that matters). I still have around 35 handouts, but I figure that can't be doing much of anything.  I'm using almost zero space but it still destroys me with lag and unresponsiveness.    I know my pc isn't top tier shit... but should this be happening? Update: I just tried Edge instead of Chrome as suggested in a comment... totally works. At least Edge is good for something. :)
Has there been any movement on this? Roll20 + Chrome is cratering my set-up. Firefox helps some, but for multiple reasons, I'd rather not have to have a browser just  for running games.
Mike said: I am having a CPU issue as well. It hits for around 70%-75% for me.  I've gone through my entire campaign and deleted tons of music and almost cleaned out my library of assets (if that matters). I still have around 35 handouts, but I figure that can't be doing much of anything.  I'm using almost zero space but it still destroys me with lag and unresponsiveness.    I know my pc isn't top tier shit... but should this be happening? Update: I just tried Edge instead of Chrome as suggested in a comment... totally works. At least Edge is good for something. :) Damd I lit just purged my computer of edge! lol Now you're saying it's actually useful for something? 0_o I guess i'll give it a try...
I'm getting same 100% CPU utilization soon as I fire up Audio/Video on 2 PC's.  Was running on Lenovo L460 with build: intel i5-6300u 2.40GHz 16GB DDR3L 1600 memory Win10 Pro 64b 22H2, build 19045.2846 Chrome v113.0.5672.64 Bitdefender Total Security | Build 26.0.34.162 Lastpass plugin Beyond20 plugin So I pulled Lenovo T470 off the shelf and put clean Win11 Pro build.  has nothing on it, but Microsoft and driver patches. intel i56300u 24GB DDR4-2133 memory Win11 Pro 64b 22H2, build 22621.1635 intel HD520 video Chrome v113.0.5672.64 Bitdefender Total Security | Build 26.0.34.162 Lastpass plugin Beyond20 plugin My issues started on game night 28APR2023 and continue.  As soon as I fire up Audio/Video CPU goes to 100%.  If I switch off Roll20 tab, it drops a bit, but goes right back to 100% soon as I switch back.  I checked off posted Roll20 A/V trouble shooting guides and have all that checked off.  My drivers, firmwares are all up to speed, no extra services, apps, etc... running.  Get same behavior in Chrome and Edge.  I have Firefox on Win10 build, but didn't try that. Gaming session is just static map, no music, dynamic lighting. Could the backend changes from end of April be issue here?  Match prior to this date range didn't have this issue?
been having the same issue as the rest here (being in tab for roll20 spikes the cpu usage, switching off the tab calms it back down) since end of last year (I filled out the doc form when it was posted before). it got better again briefly for a few weeks, but after the map bg color update it's gone back to being unusable. switching browsers doesn't help, switching hardware acceleration doesn't help, having nothing else open or active doesn't help.   the only way I can play anymore is by having my character sheet & the chat windows open in separate tabs & only looking at the map for a few seconds at a time. really wish they'd actually do something to help with this.
If this issue doesn't get fixed, I'm probably going to have to stop using roll20 entirely. It's simply inoperable with the massive CPU spikes, especially when trying to play online with friends and running video chat.
Parou
Sheet Author
You managed to make it even worse with the recent update. Now the GPU usage is exactly as high on limited 30 FPS as it was previously, when the issue first started happening on 60 FPS / unlimited. It has been over half a year. Can we finally get a fix for this, that doesn't consist of telling us our hardware is probably too old, when every single person with this issue said it was running fine with almost no usage before this first happened?
Graeme B. said: If this issue doesn't get fixed, I'm probably going to have to stop using roll20 entirely. It's simply inoperable with the massive CPU spikes, especially when trying to play online with friends and running video chat. I hate threatening to go to Foundry (I don't want to deal with third parties / running my own instance, and the business model makes me uneasy as an Old who's lost vital services before because they couldn't keep the lights on), but between this and the lack of PF2 updates, I'm getting ever closer.
We've been struggling really hard to get some internal repro so we can get a fix for this.  The good news is we've finally been able to reproduce at least one version of this problem and we are now able to investigate it more fully.  The bad news (for me) is that the reproduction is on my personal computer, and dang this issue really sucks.   If any of you are finding you experience this in some games or on some Pages and not others, information on what is different about those games / pages would be very helpful for us in tracking this down.  If you've got a really clear case, can I ask that you send in a support ticket with game links and repro steps to help us further hone in on it?  Really sorry folks, but we are investigating now and we'll keep you posted.  

Edited 1683220480
One interesting data point we've found could provide some options for some folks experiencing the issue while we strive for a real fix. On the particular machine (a laptop) that is experiencing the issue, it appears that a recent windows update altered Power plans which switched the device to defaulting to its embedded Intel GPU instead of the dedicated NVIDIA GPU.  We're not sure that the change caused this machine to reproduce this issue, and I'm not going to try to switch it over right now in order to preserve our reproduction of the problem.  But its worth it for users to check their performance monitor and make sure that they haven't defaulted to an embedded graphics card and to set your browser to default to your dedicated graphics card for your browser, or check your power settings to make sure that the global default is your dedicated graphics card.  
I submitted one! Look for request #122537.

Edited 1683269748
Parou
Sheet Author
Morgan B. said: We've been struggling really hard to get some internal repro so we can get a fix for this.  The good news is we've finally been able to reproduce at least one version of this problem and we are now able to investigate it more fully.  The bad news (for me) is that the reproduction is on my personal computer, and dang this issue really sucks.   That's good news. Not for you personally, but good news. Regarding your second post: I know for a fact that except for myself, all people of my group who experience it (which are 100%) have a dedicated graphics card and made sure that things like that weren't the issue many times when we were still trying to figure out if it's something we  can fix on our end. I have a laptop with a Ryzen CPU and a Vega 8 integrated graphics chip. Before this started happening, usage on Roll20 was basically non existent if nothing was actively being moved on screen. That's the main reason why I was very much into Roll20 until december. The alternatives have a constant process of graphical processing and can only set to a minimum of effects and anti aliasing, not completely off. It's also worth noting that ever since the update in question, maps and tokens look off. Text on them gives a very, very slightly blurry feeling compared to the sharp images before.
I can echo Parou's statements here. A few months ago I noticed a Graphics warning when I have a reasonably high end gaming rig. While the hardware is a couple generations old. It still runs most games reasonably well.  This cropped up with tonight's game again, and it seemed like everything was lagging like crazy when I tried to move, or do anything regarding graphics. Even holding left-click to ping another token took about 30 seconds for it to register/show. My CPU utilization on Firefox is currently around 2.5%, where in Chrome it was well over 40%. I wish I could be of more help, but you're more than welcome to DM me, and I'd be happy to jump on a Discord call to show exactly what I'm doing and help troubleshoot. 
Morgan B. said: One interesting data point we've found could provide some options for some folks experiencing the issue while we strive for a real fix. On the particular machine (a laptop) that is experiencing the issue, it appears that a recent windows update altered Power plans which switched the device to defaulting to its embedded Intel GPU instead of the dedicated NVIDIA GPU.  We're not sure that the change caused this machine to reproduce this issue, and I'm not going to try to switch it over right now in order to preserve our reproduction of the problem.  But its worth it for users to check their performance monitor and make sure that they haven't defaulted to an embedded graphics card and to set your browser to default to your dedicated graphics card for your browser, or check your power settings to make sure that the global default is your dedicated graphics card.   Thanks for the update and confirmation thats this is being investigated. In regards to the suggestions about checking that the graphics card, i'm pretty sure i only have the standard card withing the laptop. It's not a gaming laptop and i cannot find any details regarding a seperate card. As many others have stated, all was running fine until December. Before then, even though its not a gaming setup, my laptop could have several tabs open, roll20 game active and a zoom/dicord call without my CPU usage breaking 70% all in. I have had to resort to using my work laptop for playing/running games. However, this still usages significant CPU/GPU and barely scraps through a game (fans are running almost constantly). The only differnce between the two machines is one has 8GB mem and the other 16GBmem. 
Morgan B. said: One interesting data point we've found could provide some options for some folks experiencing the issue while we strive for a real fix. On the particular machine (a laptop) that is experiencing the issue, it appears that a recent windows update altered Power plans which switched the device to defaulting to its embedded Intel GPU instead of the dedicated NVIDIA GPU.  We're not sure that the change caused this machine to reproduce this issue, and I'm not going to try to switch it over right now in order to preserve our reproduction of the problem.  But its worth it for users to check their performance monitor and make sure that they haven't defaulted to an embedded graphics card and to set your browser to default to your dedicated graphics card for your browser, or check your power settings to make sure that the global default is your dedicated graphics card.   Hi Morgan, great reply, thank you.  I started looking and have the following early on: My Win10 L460 shows Quality Update2023-04 Cumulative update for Win10 v22H2 (KB5025221) on 13APR23, which would line up with when I started seeing slowness. This laptop shows no other updates by Feature, Driver or Other. My Win11 470 was a fresh build, so there are only a few updates, most were cumulative on the build and initial update.  Included on this laptop by KB: (KB5026039, KB5022497, KB 5012170, KB4023057, KB5025239, KB5025305).  All drivers up to speed to.
Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I've been using Safari here for a bit as a workaround and it seems to run a lot better. However I still notice some struggling. Clicks often don't register, shortcuts don't work (particularly to open the character sheet from a token), and in particular I have noticed a weird behavior with token stats that may or may not be related. The stats on a token that is set to a character sheet (lets say hit points) will suddenly change to a value of 44 or something similar. I have to reset the fields to fix it once I notice they are messed up. Usually I notice on hit points because someone who was injured is suddenly healthy again.
I use Firefox on a Mac Intel mini (2018), and had noticed some performance issues, but it wasn't clear if they were Roll20's or mine (I'd changed OS versions and updated the browser between March and April when I first started seeing issues).  In my case it wasn't data corruption or anything, just occasional pauses where the VTT became unresponsive for a couple of seconds, and then caught up with all of my keystrokes. After reading this thread this morning, I did some digging and discovered my "GPU" (built-in Intel UHD 630, not a real GPU) was at 99% when I was in a game, and ~0% when I exited to the main Roll20 screen.  I also see CPU running at 20% for Firefox in-game, versus "0%" at the main screen. Thats with a cleared cache and no extensions and no other tabs open, and "use HW acceleration" selected. Oh, and my game doesn't use dynamic lighting.  In fact I recreated the problem with a new empty game with no map graphics at all. I have one other knob to play with: I have an EGPU I use for 3d gaming, and it turns out Firefox won't use it unless you set the app (Finder get-info screen) to check "prefer EGPU", which is why it was using the Intel UHD 630.  Enabling the EGPU dropped the GPU load to 20% (of a Radeon RX5700 XT). Still an unreal load for a drawing a blank and unchanging empty map screen without dynamic lighting using a still fairly high-end GPU. I filed a bug report (123193), but it seems pretty clear that there's something odd going on that's related to the VTT. Ken
Ah, so this is a prevalent issue. I also use chrome and my cpu spikes to 40%. Didn't happen at all before, so I supposed this update is the issue? I would sure like to edit and set up my game for the next session, but even the typing is super slow. and only on that tap. On a different tab, everything is fine. Please tell me this is being worked on quickly...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It has proven to be very difficult to replicate. They just recently had the first case of one they could reliably reproduce (scroll up to see). It seems to be prevalent enough that a good number of people have reported it, but not so widespread as to constitute an epidemic (ex. neither I nor anyone in my game group has suffered from it). Hopefully now that at least this case has been documented, this issue can finally see some forward momentum.
keithcurtis said: It has proven to be very difficult to replicate. They just recently had the first case of one they could reliably reproduce (scroll up to see). It seems to be prevalent enough that a good number of people have reported it, but not so widespread as to constitute an epidemic (ex. neither I nor anyone in my game group has suffered from it). Hopefully now that at least this case has been documented, this issue can finally see some forward momentum. TBH, if it would help move things along, I volunteer for tribute. Happy to screen share and run some tests on my machine so that we can get this sorted. I work in tech on the webdev side, so I get how hard it can be to replicate issues. 
Katie C. said: keithcurtis said: It has proven to be very difficult to replicate. They just recently had the first case of one they could reliably reproduce (scroll up to see). It seems to be prevalent enough that a good number of people have reported it, but not so widespread as to constitute an epidemic (ex. neither I nor anyone in my game group has suffered from it). Hopefully now that at least this case has been documented, this issue can finally see some forward momentum. TBH, if it would help move things along, I volunteer for tribute. Happy to screen share and run some tests on my machine so that we can get this sorted. I work in tech on the webdev side, so I get how hard it can be to replicate issues.  Same here. I'm 100% happy to submit my time and help for troubleshooting. I work as a performance engineer and this kind of thing is part and parcel.
Hey Folks, I have some good news. We have just released a change that we feel helps tremendously.  Summary of the Solution Dynamic Lighting was looking for visibility of certain elements synchronously and (especially for slower processers) could consume significant processing power causing dramatically lower frames per second. We found a way to make it asynchronous which allows other parts of the canvas to render and update without having to wait on this. Testing We tested this solution on Morgan's computer and she has seen great results. What does this mean for you? This weekend, as a lot of you play your games, test it out and see if you and tell any difference in your lag and processor usage. Please report back here so we know if we got it or not. It's likely there might be more that we can do. If you are still willing, I'll take you up on those offers to screenshare/test with us. Thanks Thank you to everyone for giving us your time and attention to helping us solve this for way more people than are actually in this thread. You help us make Roll20 better and I really appreciate that. Thank you!
Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, I have some good news. We have just released a change that we feel helps tremendously.  Summary of the Solution Dynamic Lighting was looking for visibility of certain elements synchronously and (especially for slower processers) could consume significant processing power causing dramatically lower frames per second. We found a way to make it asynchronous which allows other parts of the canvas to render and update without having to wait on this. That's good news.  Here's hoping individuals affected by this issue find this solution brings them relief from CPU/GPU strain. -Adam
Great news. I'll test it tonight, Andrew. I know that personally my GPU wasn't being utilized at all. I'll keep you all posted whether or not this fix changes that. Thanks for your hard work! Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, I have some good news. We have just released a change that we feel helps tremendously.  Summary of the Solution Dynamic Lighting was looking for visibility of certain elements synchronously and (especially for slower processers) could consume significant processing power causing dramatically lower frames per second. We found a way to make it asynchronous which allows other parts of the canvas to render and update without having to wait on this. Testing We tested this solution on Morgan's computer and she has seen great results. What does this mean for you? This weekend, as a lot of you play your games, test it out and see if you and tell any difference in your lag and processor usage. Please report back here so we know if we got it or not. It's likely there might be more that we can do. If you are still willing, I'll take you up on those offers to screenshare/test with us. Thanks Thank you to everyone for giving us your time and attention to helping us solve this for way more people than are actually in this thread. You help us make Roll20 better and I really appreciate that. Thank you!
Excellent news! And even better, I'm running Abomination Vaults, so it'll be a hell of a map on Sunday! Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, I have some good news. We have just released a change that we feel helps tremendously.  Summary of the Solution Dynamic Lighting was looking for visibility of certain elements synchronously and (especially for slower processers) could consume significant processing power causing dramatically lower frames per second. We found a way to make it asynchronous which allows other parts of the canvas to render and update without having to wait on this. Testing We tested this solution on Morgan's computer and she has seen great results. What does this mean for you? This weekend, as a lot of you play your games, test it out and see if you and tell any difference in your lag and processor usage. Please report back here so we know if we got it or not. It's likely there might be more that we can do. If you are still willing, I'll take you up on those offers to screenshare/test with us. Thanks Thank you to everyone for giving us your time and attention to helping us solve this for way more people than are actually in this thread. You help us make Roll20 better and I really appreciate that. Thank you!
Things were really smooth in my Curse of Strahd game tonight.  I hope other folks saw improvements as well!
Robert B.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I'm still seeing the performance issue. I only had time for a quick test, but a blank map was about 20% CPU / 40% GPU with acceleration on and 160% cpu with it off. All plugins disabled, latest chrome, macbook pro mid 2014, 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Big Sur 11.7.4.

Edited 1684009029
Hi, is there a way to get involved in this test? I have suffered like the others in this thread with the crazy CPU/GFX issue? Thanks Adam Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, I have some good news. We have just released a change that we feel helps tremendously.  Summary of the Solution Dynamic Lighting was looking for visibility of certain elements synchronously and (especially for slower processers) could consume significant processing power causing dramatically lower frames per second. We found a way to make it asynchronous which allows other parts of the canvas to render and update without having to wait on this. Testing We tested this solution on Morgan's computer and she has seen great results. What does this mean for you? This weekend, as a lot of you play your games, test it out and see if you and tell any difference in your lag and processor usage. Please report back here so we know if we got it or not. It's likely there might be more that we can do. If you are still willing, I'll take you up on those offers to screenshare/test with us. Thanks Thank you to everyone for giving us your time and attention to helping us solve this for way more people than are actually in this thread. You help us make Roll20 better and I really appreciate that. Thank you!

Edited 1684057793
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Why would Dynamic Lighting be looking for anything in my games, none of which use DL at all? I GM 13th Age , so DL would be a waste of time. I use the original Fog of War to matte my battle maps and that’s it.  Anyway, I’ll see how it goes in the TOR 1e game I’m playing this afternoon and then test my 13th Age and Trail of Cthulhu games. None of them have DL turned on, of course.  Edit: The TOR 1e game was much the same. Fan running all the time, loud enough to hear through my headset. CPU & GPU showing about 50% on both all the time the Firefox Private Browsing window with Roll20 is open.  The 13th Age game is much the same. Chrome Incognito Window,  CPU 22.5% GPU 28.7%
I have the same issue today. high cpu usage, If I switch off Roll20 tab, it drops a bit, but goes right back to 100% soon as I switch back. I have this problem for months now. the fix doesent do anything for me...
Robert B. said: I'm still seeing the performance issue. I only had time for a quick test, but a blank map was about 20% CPU / 40% GPU with acceleration on and 160% cpu with it off. All plugins disabled, latest chrome, macbook pro mid 2014, 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Big Sur 11.7.4. Same issue here I think. I have a mid 2015 retina mac os  2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3  Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. Maybe a Mac issue that is different to other OS? Running Monteray 12.6.5
Hi all, unfortunately the same issue here (still high CPGU/GPU usage) once Roll20 tab is on display. The performance is better on Firefox, but worse on Chrome, though. I am using a Laptop with Windows OS (Windows 10 22H2), i7-1185G7 @ 3 GHz, 32 GB RAM.
DL wasn't the cause of my problem either, although I did see the GPU percentage on an empty game drop about 10%.  It's still way too high.
So, it was better for me today, as in "actually usable." The past few games had been utterly unbearable. But you should probably read the details on what I tweaked before calling it "fixed." First: Computer details Acer Spin 5 Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz   1.50 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based process OS:  Windows 11 Home, 22H2,  22624.1755 Second: What I did for the game I removed vision from all tokens besides PCs. I swear, I normally don't give NPCs vision, but apparently a setting got flipped at some point. It might also have been a default for that compendium. I used token-mod to mass-remove all vision. My map was a big one (40x60ish), with lots of doors. Previously, I removed doors in hopes of speeding things up, but with this dungeon, you NEED them. The map file size was 2.25 MB. Voice/Video was turned off in Roll20. Instead, we used Discord PTB chat, with video, popped out into another screen. Music was playing through Roll20's jukebox the whole session. Also, I record my sessions, so OBS was up, with preview turned off, capturing only screens, not windows. Third: Machine tweaks! I read somewhere Windows will sometimes deprioritize certain apps, not giving them access to the GPU, but you can force them to be priority.  Under System > Display > Graphics: I added Chrome, OBS, and Discord PTB, and set them all to High Performance. With all these tweaks, and whatever went live on Friday, things do seem to be working better for me. I didn't get weird lag with selecting tokens, and sheets, while not snappy, at least opened.
For me nothing changed: the problem still exist. Windows notebook with Intel i7-7500U, 8GB of RAM, GPU is the intel HD 620.
Still bad for me as well. It's 60% or more CPU just for roll20. :/ Makes it so I can't use anything else on the computer to get it to run without freezing up. And it still bogs down. I don't use dynamic lighting. Just the basic bare bones fog of war.
Hi Andrew, just tested on my end and CPU spiked to 100% soon as I enabled Audio/Video and stayed there while turned on Video from my avatar in game.  I too open to volunteer for testing and working with R20 team to resolve!  Have 2 machines on Win10 and Win11 I can work with. Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, I have some good news. We have just released a change that we feel helps tremendously.  Summary of the Solution Dynamic Lighting was looking for visibility of certain elements synchronously and (especially for slower processers) could consume significant processing power causing dramatically lower frames per second. We found a way to make it asynchronous which allows other parts of the canvas to render and update without having to wait on this. Testing We tested this solution on Morgan's computer and she has seen great results. What does this mean for you? This weekend, as a lot of you play your games, test it out and see if you and tell any difference in your lag and processor usage. Please report back here so we know if we got it or not. It's likely there might be more that we can do. If you are still willing, I'll take you up on those offers to screenshare/test with us. Thanks Thank you to everyone for giving us your time and attention to helping us solve this for way more people than are actually in this thread. You help us make Roll20 better and I really appreciate that. Thank you!

Edited 1684373811
Still hitting cpu and gpu super hard while doing nothing on an empty map with no dynamic lighting and fog of war off. Seems the Dev server is no longer accessible, but I'd like to remind people that my games ran perfectly fine there. 
Still having Issues as well... :(
Parou
Sheet Author
No change here.
Same here. No change. If anything it was a bit worse, with significant delay when only typing in a text box...