Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opt In to the New Toolbar and Layers Redesign

Our new Toolbar and Layers navigation is available for opt-in! Our team has been hard at work and we’re excited to bring it to your table. This is the first step in the redesign, and your feedback directly impacts future updates. First and foremost, this is an opt-in feature, so you can turn on and off the preview. To navigate back to the Legacy Toolbar, use the Settings button and select "Opt Out of UI Redesign." We've put Layers directly on the Toolbar for ease of access. The selected layer icon will light up when you're on that layer. The top icon on our redesigned Toolbar is for Settings, a new place for the most frequently accessed settings on the tabletop. Use Preview as Player when a token is selected to see how their vision will work with Dynamic Lighting. If the token doesn’t have lighting, we’ll prompt you to turn it on. We now have separate buttons for the Select and Pan movement features. Select is for selecting tokens, maps, and anything else on the VTT to move or manipulate as you see fit. Panning is for moving only the map around. The Dice Roller makes it easy to perform dice rolls in Roll20 without needing to type in formulas or roll commands. It now stays popped out for quick access on the VTT. To close it out, click the "X" found at the top right of the Dice Roller. This is the first step in our VTT redesign and we want to hear from you. Opt in and try it out today! Your feedback directly impacts future updates: <a href="https://roll20.io/redesign-feedback" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.io/redesign-feedback</a>&nbsp; Bookmark this page for all future updates, including planned releases: <a href="https://roll20.io/redesign" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.io/redesign</a>
Token layer could be renamed to something more... Meaningful? o.O How about: Playmat? Table? Or basically just anything that indicates it's where the game is intended to be played? -.- P.S.: I have wasted 15 minutes of my life trying to figure out how to actually opt in... Good job with that.

Edited 1685572400
Gauss
Forum Champion
Neo said: P.S.: I have wasted 15 minutes of my life trying to figure out how to actually opt in... Good job with that. Hi Neo, Did the popup not appear for you when you entered the VTT?
Has anyone figured out how to change the opacity of items in the GM layer in the new UI yet? Is that a thing that is possible to do? I spent 30 minutes looking and it's not seeming like its availability is too intuitive, if it exists..
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This has been mentioned in the other thread, and noted by the devs.
There is a contrast issue with the color picker: Color is ALWAYS displayed in black font. And it does not matter if you choose the left or right color picker!
Some QoL Suggestions: In this campaign I am Co-GM and the creator does not have a subscripiton. As such, DL Layer is not available. Why not simply HIDE everything that is not available? (In this case the Light Layer). Or is it always displayed to remember those who have not subscribed that they are missing out on it?

Edited 1685603657
So far pretty happy with the new UI. The only minor thing that bugs me is when the layer select is open, it overlays the avatar's default position and the Macros when in toolbar. Avatars you can move out the way, but the macros not so much. Makes things just a wee bit Crowded. Keep up the great work Roll20 team n_n&nbsp;
But normally you select the layer just once and if you do so, you do not use any Macros or do you? Besides, there are shortcuts (although some are not very intuitive) to switch layers: "o" for Token Layer (I can understand why they did this, "o" = Object), but still "t" would be better IMO!) "g" for GM Layer "," for Lighting Layer (WHY "," instead of "l" or something alike?) "m" for map Layer PsychePath said: So far pretty happy with the new UI. The only minor thing that bugs me is when the layer select is open, it overlays the avatar's default position and the Macros when in toolbar. Avatars you can move out the way, but the macros not so much. Makes things just a wee bit Crowded. Keep up the great work Roll20 team n_n&nbsp;
Ralph
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Where and how can I change the GM Overlay Opacity in the new design? There was a bar in the old one on the top left of you hovered over it.
This is a fantastic interface and I'm so happy with it!
So far it is no great improvement, just a change. Since I often used the now missing GM Overlay slider it is a significant deterioration for me.
Ralph said: Where and how can I change the GM Overlay Opacity in the new design? There was a bar in the old one on the top left of you hovered over it. This setting has gone missing and was reported to the devs by keith.
When I opt in for this new toolbar I notice that many of my Mods (API Scripts) do not work.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hey KoS, can you provide me some examples of Mod Scripts not working? I'd like to dig into those and find out why.&nbsp; I wouldn't expect this to affect Mod Scripts, and if it is, I definitely want to be on top of that issue.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Minor correction, for Advanced Shortcut keys, it's "k" for the GM layer.&nbsp; While "o" for objects, and "m" for maps are a nice mnemonic, "k" and "," were likely chosen for their positions on the keyboard, between "o" and "k" and adjacent to "m" and "k" respectively.&nbsp; For mnemonics, you could use "k"eep away from players, and the "," looks kind of like a torch. =D TheMarkus1204 said: But normally you select the layer just once and if you do so, you do not use any Macros or do you? Besides, there are shortcuts (although some are not very intuitive) to switch layers: "o" for Token Layer (I can understand why they did this, "o" = Object), but still "t" would be better IMO!) "g" for GM Layer "," for Lighting Layer (WHY "," instead of "l" or something alike?) "m" for map Layer
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Also liking the toolbar redesign. There's still some style things that I'd like to see iterated on a little more, but overall this is great. One thing that I'd really like to see is have toolbar get a full opacity background instead of the transparent one it has now. It's distracting to see the colors of the map/tokens blur under the toolbar, and I'd assume makes it especially hard to guarantee that those icons are always legible.
Align to Grid seems completely broken after opting in. Nothing pops up when I click it and then I can't interact with anything on any layer afterwards. I need to close the browser tab completely and relaunch to be able to do anything again. Unfortunately, completely unusable for me like this as I use Align to Grid a lot.&nbsp;
Getting this out there to see if anyone else has thoughts about it. The Measure, Fog of War, and Draw tools require you to select a subtool from them every time you try to select them. This is especially an issue for the measure tool. I've already submitted direct feedback about it.
Some of my Mod (API scripts) are failing while the new toolbar is active. I think it is Power Cards that are failing but could be others. I don't have time to troubleshoot it now. When I agreed to try the new toolbar I didn't know it would affect all of my games. I only wanted to try it on my test game. How do I get the What's New popup in chat to go away. I don't want it to show up in my players chat boxes when they log on?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: Some of my Mod (API scripts) are failing while the new toolbar is active. I think it is Power Cards that are failing but could be others. I don't have time to troubleshoot it now. When I agreed to try the new toolbar I didn't know it would affect all of my games. I only wanted to try it on my test game. How do I get the What's New popup in chat to go away. I don't want it to show up in my players chat boxes when they log on? You can verify that it consistently fails when you toggle the new toolbar on, but then operates as expected when toggled back to the old toolbar? This would be an interesting problem to look into, as the new bar should only be a GUI change, and have no effect on the Mod script engine. I'd try to help, but unfortunately I don't use Powercards. As for the other question, I don't think you can enforce that choice on other users. You can only communicate to them that you need it to be off for game functions to work as needed.
I was unable to get the new UI to function at all in Firefox, without completely disabling all script blocking software. I'll stay opted out for as long as that's possible.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Token Waypoint issue Right clicking while moving a token to drop waypoints causes view to reposition erratically To reproduce: select a token While moving and keeping the left mouse button held down, add right clicks to drop waypoints Old UI: Waypoints are dropped and the token's total move is measured New UI: Waypoints are dropped and the token's total move is measured, but as each waypoint is added the center of view shifts erratically, sometimes even moving the view of the current waypoint off screen.
For pottentially useful context creating the movemnt waypoints with 'Q' does not cause the view to shift, nor does it occur when you are fully zoomed out on a map. It seems to be an issue with right click grab panning not being turned off when a token is held by left click. keithcurtis said: Token Waypoint issue Right clicking while moving a token to drop waypoints causes view to reposition erratically To reproduce: select a token While moving and keeping the left mouse button held down, add right clicks to drop waypoints Old UI: Waypoints are dropped and the token's total move is measured New UI: Waypoints are dropped and the token's total move is measured, but as each waypoint is added the center of view shifts erratically, sometimes even moving the view of the current waypoint off screen.
K eithcurtis asked You can verify that it consistently fails when you toggle the new toolbar on, but then operates as expected when toggled back to the old toolbar? This would be an interesting problem to look into, as the new bar should only be a GUI change, and have no effect on the Mod script engine. I'd try to help, but unfortunately I don't use Powercards. Yes it starts working again when I toggle the new toolbar off.
I don't see this as a major change. Some comments: 1. Having the layers setting (token, gm, light, etc.) down at the bottom is annoying. It should be further up near the top of the toolbar just like it is now. I dislike having to move the mouse all over the place to make changes and that button is one I use frequently as a DM so should be near the top. I would put it just below "Select" and "Pan". Or between the two. 2. I like that there's more space between items but I feel there is too much space. I play on a laptop and the amount of space available is small as it is. Having the toolbar take up so much of the left side of the screen loses space for me. It's not a lot to be sure but every pixel is valuable to me. Having the toolbar take up the entire left part of the screen pushes the macros and portraits to the right, putting some of my macros off-screen that weren't off-screen before. 3. I would have preferred it if the opt-in&nbsp; to test the new layout was per game rather than a global change affecting every game. I realize this may not be possible due to the way it's implemented but I still would have preferred it that way. 4. I don't think "Exit Game" and "Copy Game Link" should be in the menu where they are. Both of those things are already elsewhere, and don't need to be duplicated. People who have been using the game for a long while won't be looking for them there. But, if you must have them there, I would put "Reconnect" there too along with "Exit Game". I'm probably in a minority of one here... :-)&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: I'm probably in a minority of one here... :-)&nbsp;&nbsp; Aren't we all? :D
The align-to-grid tool does not work when using the new toolbar, I had to switch back to the old one and it worked perfectly there.&nbsp;

Edited 1685664353
Gauss
Forum Champion
Saul J. said: 4. I don't think "Exit Game" and "Copy Game Link" should be in the menu where they are. Both of those things are already elsewhere, and don't need to be duplicated. People who have been using the game for a long while won't be looking for them there. But, if you must have them there, I would put "Reconnect" there too along with "Exit Game". Just a comment regarding your two points in #4.&nbsp; Regarding Exit Game, many people do not use it in it's current location (My Settings tab). In my experience most people don't even know it is there.&nbsp; As for Copy Game Link, the current location in the Chat gets lost in scroll, and the other location is outside of the VTT on the Website. There has been a need for a static in-VTT game link option for a long time.&nbsp;
Good idea, though it's enough if the icons/buttons are fully opaque, whereas the rest of the toolbar can be transparent. Scott C. said: Also liking the toolbar redesign. There's still some style things that I'd like to see iterated on a little more, but overall this is great. One thing that I'd really like to see is have toolbar get a full opacity background instead of the transparent one it has now. It's distracting to see the colors of the map/tokens blur under the toolbar, and I'd assume makes it especially hard to guarantee that those icons are always legible.
Let's be clear that this is just a first step of the roll-out, more changes are inbound, so the current iteration isn't final and not only can but will be improved on. The more feedback the better it will get! Saul J. said: I don't see this as a major change.&nbsp;
Hi, &nbsp; &nbsp; Our group just noticed a problem in the advanced dice roller.&nbsp; We play World of Darkness and liked the advacasuenced roll function of keeping track of successes and failures.&nbsp; This is not happening now.&nbsp; When we type in the roll it will work.&nbsp; When we use the dice roller there seems to be a space before the greater than sign that causes this not to function.&nbsp; It would be great to get a fix for this.
I hadn't even noticed the advanced dice roller before - the design for the dice roller is leagues better now. I hadn't realised that "GM" meant to make hidden rolls either. I like the sidebar but I think it should automatically "hide" when you move your mouse away - the Layers should still stay, or at least the Layer in use, as that's useful for the DM to have easy access to at all times. The rest of the toolbar only matters when you need to pick up a new tool.

Edited 1685671775
I like the added Bold and Italic options, and the border outline with the second colour option is a nice option. If you use two different colours plus the Bold option it makes that second colour option thicker, which works well for text at 32 or larger, but not well at all for smaller letters. I think this needs to be looked into some more and make it work a little bit better. Sadly, Players don't seem to be able to use Bold or Italics yet as they instantly revert back to unformatted text (or at least they did when I "Rejoined as a Player"), so there's some bug there.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I was surprised to discover that it's an all-in setting. I enabled the New UI Preview on a Library game, but now all of my games have the New UI Preview.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, I think they announced that it was an account-level setting, not a game level. If it were only settable on the account page, though, probably 5% of users would try.
With all due respect, not even sure of the point of this change. Does the initiative order stay up for players if you have to switch maps mid-fight (as we have repeatedly asked for)? No. Is there an easy and convenient way to drop your whole party's worth of tokens from map to map without having to copy/paste them every time? No. The only major addition I see is the selection of spell "Effects" animations (sorry but never gonna use them). Buttons get stuck "on". The map names crowd over the avatar names at the bottom. The zoom is not as easy to adjust, requiring us now to have to click the + or - signs. You can't move the maps around with R-click, requiring us to L-click and potentially inadvertently select something on the map. It took me all of 2 minutes to revert back to the old UI. Nice try but still needs work.
Anyway they changed it "back"(?) to CTRL+'o' |'m'|'k'|... and the shortcut for the Lighting Layer seems gone missing as nothing was displayed when hovering over the layer button... The Aaron said: Minor correction, for Advanced Shortcut keys, it's "k" for the GM layer.&nbsp; While "o" for objects, and "m" for maps are a nice mnemonic, "k" and "," were likely chosen for their positions on the keyboard, between "o" and "k" and adjacent to "m" and "k" respectively.&nbsp; For mnemonics, you could use "k"eep away from players, and the "," looks kind of like a torch. =D TheMarkus1204 said: But normally you select the layer just once and if you do so, you do not use any Macros or do you? Besides, there are shortcuts (although some are not very intuitive) to switch layers: "o" for Token Layer (I can understand why they did this, "o" = Object), but still "t" would be better IMO!) "g" for GM Layer "," for Lighting Layer (WHY "," instead of "l" or something alike?) "m" for map Layer
Noticed that as well. Would be nice if the latest selection is saved so that if you just click the tool in the sidebar it becomes active immediately. And if you do want to use another option, hover over it for the Submenu to appear and then select another... Same for all the other tools that act this way. Jonathan G said: Getting this out there to see if anyone else has thoughts about it. The Measure, Fog of War, and Draw tools require you to select a subtool from them every time you try to select them. This is especially an issue for the measure tool. I've already submitted direct feedback about it.
Isn't the new Toolbar a per Player setting? If I as a GM enable it, it will only be enabled for me, not for my Players. And I am not sure whether it is necessary or not for the Players to not use the redesigned toolbar in order for the mods to work... If it IS necessary that your players do not use the redesigned toolbar, then just talk to them before you start :) keithcurtis said: Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: Some of my Mod (API scripts) are failing while the new toolbar is active. I think it is Power Cards that are failing but could be others. I don't have time to troubleshoot it now. When I agreed to try the new toolbar I didn't know it would affect all of my games. I only wanted to try it on my test game. How do I get the What's New popup in chat to go away. I don't want it to show up in my players chat boxes when they log on? You can verify that it consistently fails when you toggle the new toolbar on, but then operates as expected when toggled back to the old toolbar? This would be an interesting problem to look into, as the new bar should only be a GUI change, and have no effect on the Mod script engine. I'd try to help, but unfortunately I don't use Powercards. As for the other question, I don't think you can enforce that choice on other users. You can only communicate to them that you need it to be off for game functions to work as needed.
Noticed that you now need to double rightclick in order for the waypoint to drop. One click is not sufficient anymore as ist now just "selects" the token as it would by left clicking on it) Would be nice if this gets changed back the way it was! keithcurtis said: Token Waypoint issue Right clicking while moving a token to drop waypoints causes view to reposition erratically To reproduce: select a token While moving and keeping the left mouse button held down, add right clicks to drop waypoints Old UI: Waypoints are dropped and the token's total move is measured New UI: Waypoints are dropped and the token's total move is measured, but as each waypoint is added the center of view shifts erratically, sometimes even moving the view of the current waypoint off screen.
I totally agree with you on the first and second point and I already filled out the feedback form for this. The "Pan" button in the left bar is unnecessary because - if you play on Desktop with a mouse connected - you can Pan /... with the right mouse button or the middle one. Strange enough: If Pan is selected, Right click just opens a small context menu that has 2 Items: Undo and Paste. As for your last point: If the hamburger Button is there to stay I'd like to see the "Exit Game" being displayed ONLY there and also the "Re-Join as Player / GM" as it is better to access there then having to click on the gear symbol first and then have to scroll all the way down... Saul J. said: I don't see this as a major change. Some comments: 1. Having the layers setting (token, gm, light, etc.) down at the bottom is annoying. It should be further up near the top of the toolbar just like it is now. I dislike having to move the mouse all over the place to make changes and that button is one I use frequently as a DM so should be near the top. I would put it just below "Select" and "Pan". Or between the two. 2. I like that there's more space between items but I feel there is too much space. I play on a laptop and the amount of space available is small as it is. Having the toolbar take up so much of the left side of the screen loses space for me. It's not a lot to be sure but every pixel is valuable to me. Having the toolbar take up the entire left part of the screen pushes the macros and portraits to the right, putting some of my macros off-screen that weren't off-screen before. 3. I would have preferred it if the opt-in&nbsp; to test the new layout was per game rather than a global change affecting every game. I realize this may not be possible due to the way it's implemented but I still would have preferred it that way. 4. I don't think "Exit Game" and "Copy Game Link" should be in the menu where they are. Both of those things are already elsewhere, and don't need to be duplicated. People who have been using the game for a long while won't be looking for them there. But, if you must have them there, I would put "Reconnect" there too along with "Exit Game". I'm probably in a minority of one here... :-)&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1685695193
Shard said: With all due respect, not even sure of the point of this change. Does the initiative order stay up for players if you have to switch maps mid-fight (as we have repeatedly asked for)? No. Is there an easy and convenient way to drop your whole party's worth of tokens from map to map without having to copy/paste them every time? No. The only major addition I see is the selection of spell "Effects" animations (sorry but never gonna use them). Buttons get stuck "on". The map names crowd over the avatar names at the bottom. The zoom is not as easy to adjust, requiring us now to have to click the + or - signs. You can't move the maps around with R-click, requiring us to L-click and potentially inadvertently select something on the map. It took me all of 2 minutes to revert back to the old UI. Nice try but still needs work. If PAN is selected it only works with left mouse button. If it is NOT selected, you can pan around with right / middle mouse key as it was with the legacy toolbar... Also: This is ONLY the FIRST STEP of the Redesign with more to come! And I seriously hope that the feedback we give will matter in the design and that it will be implemented... If the Bar is adapted and used by everyone the old bar will vanish as announced...
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Saul J. said: 1. Having the layers setting (token, gm, light, etc.) down at the bottom is annoying. It should be further up near the top of the toolbar just like it is now. I dislike having to move the mouse all over the place to make changes and that button is one I use frequently as a DM so should be near the top. I would put it just below "Select" and "Pan". Or between the two. You aren't alone in this—I totally agree, I'd rather them be at the top.&nbsp; I really wish all the VTTs out there (R20, included) would spend some time (and probably money) on human factors experts, because there's so much mousing and buttoning to get something simple done and no thought is given for what it means for the human using the thing. &nbsp;And they should definitely consider the different configurations (monitor size, mobile vs. non-mobile, etc).
Hat off roll20 this look is beautiful and clean. Wonderful Improvement.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: I totally agree with you on the first and second point and I already filled out the feedback form for this. The "Pan" button in the left bar is unnecessary because - if you play on Desktop with a mouse connected - you can Pan /... with the right mouse button or the middle one. Strange enough: If Pan is selected, Right click just opens a small context menu that has 2 Items: Undo and Paste. I agreed with this sentiment initially until it was pointed out to me that some folks on tablets find the pan button very useful. I do agree that it should continue to preserve the right-click functionality.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Posted elsewhere : Dag &nbsp;said: When Im using the new toolbar, all my token macros that have more than one target, for example&nbsp;@{target|target1|Token_Name} and&nbsp; @{target|target2|Token_Name} no longer work.&nbsp; As soon as i switch back to normal mode, they all work again.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can still get the slider by right clicking the number and choosing the Show Zoom Slider option: Shard said: With all due respect, not even sure of the point of this change. Does the initiative order stay up for players if you have to switch maps mid-fight (as we have repeatedly asked for)? No. Is there an easy and convenient way to drop your whole party's worth of tokens from map to map without having to copy/paste them every time? No. The only major addition I see is the selection of spell "Effects" animations (sorry but never gonna use them). Buttons get stuck "on". The map names crowd over the avatar names at the bottom. The zoom is not as easy to adjust, requiring us now to have to click the + or - signs. You can't move the maps around with R-click, requiring us to L-click and potentially inadvertently select something on the map. It took me all of 2 minutes to revert back to the old UI. Nice try but still needs work.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Does your API command take multiple @{target|...} arguments?&nbsp; That appears to be broken in the new UI. Keeper of Secrets (KoS) said: K eithcurtis asked You can verify that it consistently fails when you toggle the new toolbar on, but then operates as expected when toggled back to the old toolbar? This would be an interesting problem to look into, as the new bar should only be a GUI change, and have no effect on the Mod script engine. I'd try to help, but unfortunately I don't use Powercards. Yes it starts working again when I toggle the new toolbar off.

Edited 1685730803
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
Hey Folks, With the feedback from here and the ton of feedback from our feedback form, we've been getting GREAT feedback. We really appreciate you all helping us improve the toolbar. We have also been doing a lot to respond as quickly as we can. Normally we try not to push releases on a Friday, but today we have a release and we hope that it will take care of some of the bugs and immediate improvements you all have mentioned. Here's a list that I just posted in the Changelog. Bug Fixes for the New Toolbar Redesign (Opt-in only) Fixed a bug where the line context menu would stay up even when you selected a token or some other object that it did not apply too. Fixed a bug where the "Align to Grid" notification didn't work properly with the new toolbar. Now you should be able to use it as expected. Now the "Preview as Token" sits above the marco bar so you can exit out of that mode. We are still considering better positioning options in the future. The Preview as Token shortcut is now working for macs again. For some people the Fog of War tool would stack for the enhanced Fog of War submenu. Now it should display properly. Fixed a bug where the screen would jump around a lot while dragging a token and trying to measure using the right click. This now works as expected. Improvements for the New Toolbar Redesign (Opt-in only) Now when you select a tool on the toolbar, that tool is immediately chosen instead of waiting for you to select something for the submenu. When the Dice Tool is open, you can now click the dice icon and close the tool as well. The resize handle for the dice menu now has a bigger click area so when you click on the resize icon it will actually work. Now when you are in the "Preview as Token" mode, you can hit ESC on your keyboard and exit out of the mode. Also, I'd like to mention that we are looking to add the&nbsp; GM Opacity Slider back into the toolbar but we need a little bit of time to consider where we're going to put this. Thank you to ALL of you for your feedback. I really appreciate it.