Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opt In to the New Toolbar and Layers Redesign

Edited 1686664017
Randall T. said: Not sure if this is related (but it never happened until recently, so it might be), but I hate the "Join voice & video" button that pops up - even if I have gone in and have chosen "none" for those options. Could this be made to go away unless one or more of those are enabled? I worry about clicking it because I don't want to turn them on. Just click on the button as annoying as it is (you need to do this every time you join / reload). If you set NONE to both than neither you receive nor do you broadcast anything. Also this button only appears if Avatar size / display is set to "Name only"... (If Avatar display is set otherwise the Avatar has an overlay you need to click on in order for it to vanish... And only if you do this can you use the "Speak as" feature that is otherwise not available!) Don't really know why they decided to implement it this way, but yeah... Given how long it has been this way I do not think this is going to change any time soon! It has NOTHING to do with the redesign of the UI...
Something weird that I am experiencing only in the new design is when I grab a token and move it, as soon as I drop the token, it acts as if I double click it and opens the tokens menu.  Tried it both in and out of the new interface and it only seems to do it in the new UI.  Anyone else see this happening? 
Tom said: Something weird that I am experiencing only in the new design is when I grab a token and move it, as soon as I drop the token, it acts as if I double click it and opens the tokens menu.  Tried it both in and out of the new interface and it only seems to do it in the new UI.  Anyone else see this happening?  Does not happen here. What kind of mouse/tracking device are you using?
New release today! VTT Toolbar Improvements We released the toolbar without the GM opacity slider and many of you let us know that we forgot it. The slider is now back and ready to be used. You can find it under the top setting icons on the new toolbar. Let us know what you think! The dice functions on the dice roller now have a tooltip that helps explain what they do. The dice roller will not also remain on the simple or advance option when you close it and bring it back. VTT Toolbar Redesign Bugs Fixed a bug where the copy/paste menu would come up every time you tried to close a polygon shape. Now that process feels much better. Fixed a bug where the draw tool color was not staying the same when switching between layers. Now you can set the color and it stays the same until you change it again. Fixed a bug on the tablet where the keyboard would push up the entire VTT and when you were done, it would not go back to normal. So now you can feel comfortable typing on your tablet using the VTT. Fixed a bug on tablets where you could not copy and paste tokens. Fixed a bug where the text tool had some trouble inserting the first time you try to write something. Fixed a bug where multi-target macros did not work properly. Fixed an issue where the advanced dice bonus field would not accept a negative number.

Edited 1686762789
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
New (and persistent) icons on the measurement tool, too! (or maybe I did not notice them before).

Edited 1686795665
The New Toolbar on the Left Hand side should not be a Solid Opaque Black. This limits screen real-estate for no good reason.  It needs to return to: - only the buttons being opaque - or semi-transparent buttons. Additionally, "Click to Join Voice and Video" should go away entirely if you set Voice and Video to "None".
Any idea how to opt back in if you opted out. I only opted out to see what my players see since they have been having issues with moving their own character
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Brandon S. said: Any idea how to opt back in if you opted out. I only opted out to see what my players see since they have been having issues with moving their own character It's in the settings tab on the right. You can opt in or out any time, but be aware that the game will re-load.
Teller said: Additionally, "Click to Join Voice and Video" should go away entirely if you set Voice and Video to "None". +1 to this! Just remove the button or the overlay (depending on avatar size) and make the "Speak as" Feature DEFAULT... Right now it is only available if you click on the avatar or join the call otherwise...
Sorry if I have missed this one, but is anyone else getting this issue when adding doors and windows on the Lighting Layer, where they are all showing as what look like broken image placers rather than the usual door and window icons? Once again, not sure if it's just me being a bit dumb and missing something that has changed?
Have a look at this thread here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11503217/dynamic-lighting-doors" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11503217/dynamic-lighting-doors</a> In there you find another link pointing to the original Bug thread that was started a while ago... I don't think a solution to this was posted there... EndoViper said: Sorry if I have missed this one, but is anyone else getting this issue when adding doors and windows on the Lighting Layer, where they are all showing as what look like broken image placers rather than the usual door and window icons? Once again, not sure if it's just me being a bit dumb and missing something that has changed?
Thank you....just had a look. TheMarkus1204 said: Have a look at this thread here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11503217/dynamic-lighting-doors" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11503217/dynamic-lighting-doors</a> In there you find another link pointing to the original Bug thread that was started a while ago... I don't think a solution to this was posted there... EndoViper said: Sorry if I have missed this one, but is anyone else getting this issue when adding doors and windows on the Lighting Layer, where they are all showing as what look like broken image placers rather than the usual door and window icons? Once again, not sure if it's just me being a bit dumb and missing something that has changed?
Martijn S. said: Tom said: Something weird that I am experiencing only in the new design is when I grab a token and move it, as soon as I drop the token, it acts as if I double click it and opens the tokens menu.&nbsp; Tried it both in and out of the new interface and it only seems to do it in the new UI.&nbsp; Anyone else see this happening?&nbsp; Does not happen here. What kind of mouse/tracking device are you using? Windows 10, Logitech MX Vertical, nothing out of the ordinary.&nbsp; I adjusted some setting in the Logitech mouse options to see if that was it, but still having the issue.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Now that they fixed it so that it works correctly on my Mac (yay!) I've given it a good try for two games plus setup stuff. Some things still seem a bit wonky - for example, sometimes when trying to set Fog of War I get the old menu, and sometimes I get the new menu. I don't know what, if anything, determines which menu I get - it seems random. I think my two biggest complaints (and really, they're small complaints) is that the bar takes up too much real estate. As others have said, it should fade away when the mouse isn't hovering over that side of the map so that map can be seen better. I'm also very big on making sure that designs have good&nbsp; contrast between any words/graphics and the background. The words on the toolbar are too dark and fade into the background. They should be a brighter white, or, even better, colored. Maybe in that pink/fuschia color that Roll20 loves so much. Something to make the lettering stand out better against the black background. In case it matters, I'm looking at the toolbar in dark mode. Haven't checked it out yet in light mode.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: &nbsp;In case it matters, I'm looking at the toolbar in dark mode. Haven't checked it out yet in light mode. The toolbar does not respond to dark/light mode. It is always styled similarly to dark mode. I'd like to add in a satisfaction with the new toolbar's current display size. By taking up the 30-40 pixels or so of the left hand side of the screen, it does technically take up more physical space, but I find that it takes up less psychological space. The old floating toolbar always made the left hand side feel awkward and cluttered, like the interface was covering stuff I needed to see. This just feels like "the edge of the page". I think some folks might appreciate an auto show/hide like the Dock on the Mac, or whatever they call the system app toolbar thingy on Windows, which I assume has the same option. It only appears when the cursor hits that edge of the screen. Personally, I like the constant display, since one of the advantages of the current toolbar is the immediate and persistent display of which layer you are on. An option might please both camps, but I'd be willing to bet that the underlying architecture was not created with this in mind, and it might not be an easy addition.
keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: &nbsp;In case it matters, I'm looking at the toolbar in dark mode. Haven't checked it out yet in light mode. The toolbar does not respond to dark/light mode. It is always styled similarly to dark mode. I'd like to add in a satisfaction with the new toolbar's current display size. By taking up the 30-40 pixels or so of the left hand side of the screen, it does technically take up more physical space, but I find that it takes up less psychological space. The old floating toolbar always made the left hand side feel awkward and cluttered, like the interface was covering stuff I needed to see. This just feels like "the edge of the page". I think some folks might appreciate an auto show/hide like the Dock on the Mac, or whatever they call the system app toolbar thingy on Windows, which I assume has the same option. It only appears when the cursor hits that edge of the screen. Personally, I like the constant display, since one of the advantages of the current toolbar is the immediate and persistent display of which layer you are on. An option might please both camps, but I'd be willing to bet that the underlying architecture was not created with this in mind, and it might not be an easy addition. To me, it feels much more obtrusive; as everything is so much bigger, and also because spreading to the bottom of the screen pushes my toolbar buttons to the right. Having said that, the design seems to be getting a little better each time I turn it on. It fits on the screen at most resolutions now, and I like the pop-out redesign of the layers buttons that just popped up today. It would be nice if that went away when you clicked on the map, the same as all the other pop-out menus work.
Is it just me, or is the drawing tool messed up on the new toolbar? The option to draw a line is missing. Draw polygon seems to start from a random point instead of where I tell it to start. When you change colors, or do anything else with the menu, there's no "Ok" button to confirm the choice and close the window.
I think this a matter of personal taste. I can see your point, but I prefer the old interface's "semi-floating" toolbar, because it gives me the extra bit of screen real estate that's below it, and my brain edits that small column of icons from my perception when I'm not looking for it :). Then again, I worked with applications that used floating toolbars for a lot of years, so I'm used to that. If this UI becomes permanent, I'll get used to it, just as long as all the kinks get worked out. keithcurtis said: I'd like to add in a satisfaction with the new toolbar's current display size. By taking up the 30-40 pixels or so of the left hand side of the screen, it does technically take up more physical space, but I find that it takes up less psychological space. The old floating toolbar always made the left hand side feel awkward and cluttered, like the interface was covering stuff I needed to see. This just feels like "the edge of the page". I think some folks might appreciate an auto show/hide like the Dock on the Mac, or whatever they call the system app toolbar thingy on Windows, which I assume has the same option. It only appears when the cursor hits that edge of the screen. Personally, I like the constant display, since one of the advantages of the current toolbar is the immediate and persistent display of which layer you are on. An option might please both camps, but I'd be willing to bet that the underlying architecture was not created with this in mind, and it might not be an easy addition.
Numbers are not readable!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm not seeing that in either Firefox or Chrome.&nbsp; In case there was some strange interaction with the dark/light mode switch, I tried both modes in both browsers, and it all stayed looking normal for me: Might try clearing cache if you haven't recently just to see if that clears up the color issues.
FYI: Since I've opted in on the new UI, I've had Token randomly appear on the current map's token layer as I open/close PC sheets (5E OGL). No idea if it's just me or if anyone else has had that "feature" "implemented" at roughly the same time, but I haven't seen the last "feature"-fix mention anything about it -.-
Gauss
Forum Champion
Neo said: FYI: Since I've opted in on the new UI, I've had Token randomly appear on the current map's token layer as I open/close PC sheets (5E OGL). No idea if it's just me or if anyone else has had that "feature" "implemented" at roughly the same time, but I haven't seen the last "feature"-fix mention anything about it -.- That sounds like an old bug that is intermittent. Sometimes an event, usually to another token, causes the token linked to the same sheet to reappear in the original location of the token when it was set up and updated to the character sheet. If I remember correctly the solution is to remove the current token, delete the reappearing token, then set a new one up.&nbsp;

Edited 1687038040
No, I've been seeing this too. And the token that's appearing on the map is not linked to any sheet. It's one of the tokens from my token library that I'm not using for anything. And it appears in a random spot on the current map, too. I've been seeing other oddnesses too. Today, I was showing someone some stuff and I found that explorable darkness wasn't working. And, yes, "Explorer Mode" was on. And I logged into the game as a player (using a different account) and I couldn't see the token that was assigned to that dummy player even though I could see the map. I don't think these things are related to the new toolbar but they are oddnesses that started happening when I switched. Gauss said: Neo said: FYI: Since I've opted in on the new UI, I've had Token randomly appear on the current map's token layer as I open/close PC sheets (5E OGL). No idea if it's just me or if anyone else has had that "feature" "implemented" at roughly the same time, but I haven't seen the last "feature"-fix mention anything about it -.- That sounds like an old bug that is intermittent. Sometimes an event, usually to another token, causes the token linked to the same sheet to reappear in the original location of the token when it was set up and updated to the character sheet. If I remember correctly the solution is to remove the current token, delete the reappearing token, then set a new one up.&nbsp;
Refreshing the campaign helped in order for the numbers to be readable again. I am using the VTT in Light Mode while using the site itself in Dark mode... This Bug occurred in latest Chrome (normal Window). In the game it happened I am only Player... Kraynic said: I'm not seeing that in either Firefox or Chrome.&nbsp; In case there was some strange interaction with the dark/light mode switch, I tried both modes in both browsers, and it all stayed looking normal for me: Might try clearing cache if you haven't recently just to see if that clears up the color issues.
I like this. TheMarkus1204 said: Some QoL Suggestions: In this campaign I am Co-GM and the creator does not have a subscripiton. As such, DL Layer is not available. Why not simply HIDE everything that is not available? (In this case the Light Layer). Or is it always displayed to remember those who have not subscribed that they are missing out on it?
GM opacity resetting - further to the post above about GM opacity and the new UI - I'm not seeing any other comments to this effect, but I have switched off extensions and get the same behaviour, so feel like it must be Roll20... GM opacity is set at 55%, if I change this it works a charm, but defaults back to 55% when I load back in?&nbsp; I have tried looking in game settings outside of the game, making sure anything with opacity in the name is set to 35% (my pref) and then loading default settings when back in game, waiting for the tricksy bar to complete.&nbsp; All to no avail.&nbsp; What am I missing here?&nbsp;

Edited 1687159620
Gauss
Forum Champion
Simon G. said: GM opacity resetting - further to the post above about GM opacity and the new UI - I'm not seeing any other comments to this effect, but I have switched off extensions and get the same behaviour, so feel like it must be Roll20... GM opacity is set at 55%, if I change this it works a charm, but defaults back to 55% when I load back in?&nbsp; I have tried looking in game settings outside of the game, making sure anything with opacity in the name is set to 35% (my pref) and then loading default settings when back in game, waiting for the tricksy bar to complete.&nbsp; All to no avail.&nbsp; What am I missing here?&nbsp; Confirmed, however that behavior also exists in the old UI. I do not know if that is new behavior or if it is how it always worked for the old UI in the VTT. &nbsp; There is no Roll20-wide setting for this or Campaign Details setting for this (this really should be in the Campaign Details settings). Edit: I checked with another user that uses the GM Opacity setting a lot, they report that the behavior has not changed, that it has always reset upon refresh.&nbsp;
Thanks Gauss. usually masked on mine because of the extension I use, I'll pop it in suggestions
Dafe said: I like this. TheMarkus1204 said: Some QoL Suggestions: In this campaign I am Co-GM and the creator does not have a subscripiton. As such, DL Layer is not available. Why not simply HIDE everything that is not available? (In this case the Light Layer). Or is it always displayed to remember those who have not subscribed that they are missing out on it? Just love that avatar
Can we (the GM) still click on a token so it temporarily pops up larger to everyone?&nbsp; I used to do it a lot but can't seem to get it to work so now I am wondering if I have forgotten the correct keystroke... Can someone remind me, and does it still work?
Shift-Z
This may be a "Me Thing" not a "UI Thing" but I noticed a couple of times recently that when I pulled a PDF out of the journal I was unable to access the settings as they apreared BEHIND the PDF. I press the three little blobs button and the menu appears behind the PDF, I can just make out the edge of the options, but am unable to read them. They do respond when clicked, but I use that button so infrequently I'm unlikely to ever commit the menu to memory. As far as I recall, this has never happened to me before, and has only happened during my testing of the new UI. It works fine most of the time, and has only happened twice, but I thought I'd mention it.
Tommy said: This may be a "Me Thing" not a "UI Thing" but I noticed a couple of times recently that when I pulled a PDF out of the journal I was unable to access the settings as they apreared BEHIND the PDF. I press the three little blobs button and the menu appears behind the PDF, I can just make out the edge of the options, but am unable to read them. They do respond when clicked, but I use that button so infrequently I'm unlikely to ever commit the menu to memory. As far as I recall, this has never happened to me before, and has only happened during my testing of the new UI. It works fine most of the time, and has only happened twice, but I thought I'd mention it. This has happened to me as well and goes away when you reload the page, defintely something to look into I think
Ralph
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Jim W. said: Can we (the GM) still click on a token so it temporarily pops up larger to everyone?&nbsp; I used to do it a lot but can't seem to get it to work so now I am wondering if I have forgotten the correct keystroke... Can someone remind me, and does it still work? "Z" shows it only for you, "CTRL-Z" you you and all the players. It still works.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ralph said: Jim W. said: Can we (the GM) still click on a token so it temporarily pops up larger to everyone?&nbsp; I used to do it a lot but can't seem to get it to work so now I am wondering if I have forgotten the correct keystroke... Can someone remind me, and does it still work? "Z" shows it only for you, "CTRL-Z" you you and all the players. It still works. Close. Shift-Z, not Ctrl-Z.
Hey Folks, We have another round of Bug Fixes that we released yesterday. Fixed a bug where you could drag the dice roller window off the screen to the point where you can not click on the area that would allow you to drag it back on screen. Now the dice roller will stay in-bounds and remain moveable. Fixed a bug on iPad where the 3D dice wouldn't go away after they were rolled. Now they go away when you tap on the screen. Fixed a bug where some links would open outside of the VTT and replace your game window instead of opening in the VTT. Now those links work properly again so you can open links to your compendium without losing your VTT screen. Fixed a number of small mobile and tablet bugs with the new toolbar.&nbsp; Thanks again for the feedback!
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I ran my 2nd session with the new UI last night, and it was A-OK.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thanks - it seems to work sometimes lol Martijn S. said: Shift-Z
I personally don't like the button layout. Which made me think if we could get a feature where we can choose to move the buttons around and even hide or put away buttons we're not using? ^^ It'd make it so everyone can have it just the way they want it for their optimized needs. A little settings tab "Arrange buttons" Than drag them from a alittle folder to the bar or into the folder to tuck them away. and done. Alot like how I'm able to arrange my macros How i like with colors and everything. Only other nitpick i guess Is have the bar use light mode or dark mode (or just be able to change the color to whatever) would be nice. It seems to be always in dark mode.
Hey Folks, Back to back releases here. We have a few new changes for you all. VTT Toolbar Improvements Players can now preview as token for tokens that they control allowing them to see from other tokens. For example, they can see just what their familiar sees. Also, we changed the name of the feature to "Preview as Token" instead of "Preview as Player" to align with this new feature. Your zoom settings are now persisted when you come back to the game or go to another game. So if you want to use the zoom slider instead of the individual numbers, you don't have to keep making that choice. Also, if you just want to hide the zoom interface entirely you can do that too. VTT Toolbar Redesign Bugs Fixed a bug where the advanced keyboard shortcut for the dice roller would close the dice roller but not open it. The new dice roller now goes on top of the right panel so people that like to put it on top of the chat log as they roll can now do so.
I submitted this as a report but the Layers tab covering macros placed in the bar needs to be updated. I could have sworn the Layers tab was going up instead of out at one point.&nbsp;
Grand DM said: I submitted this as a report but the Layers tab covering macros placed in the bar needs to be updated. I could have sworn the Layers tab was going up instead of out at one point. Hey Grand DM, Thanks for that feedback! We're looking at a few ways to improve this now. I'll let you know when we have something that you can play around with.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Grand DM said: I submitted this as a report but the Layers tab covering macros placed in the bar needs to be updated. I could have sworn the Layers tab was going up instead of out at one point.&nbsp; It goes up it the window is large enough to accommodate the space allotted for them. If you resize the window smaller, or have insufficient resolution, they will fly out to the side like that. In any case, they should disappear once you click again on the master icon to the left.

Edited 1687844145
Please increase the transparency of the toolbar and remove the blur effect. Please reduce the size of the sliding zoom bar and remove the loud pink from said zoom bar, as it stands it is very intrusive visually compared to the previous version.