Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Advertisement Create a free account Compendium in Game, Join Today

Foreground Map Layer

Score + 1016
1439511436

Edited 1439511942
Epsilon R. said: A static layer would be particularly cool if you could have dynamic objects, like timers. That said, I could see them having trouble with scaling on different screen sizes. Also, what do you do if someone wants to get onto a roof? I would see dynamic objects being created by the community, which is cool, but to you and others should Roll20 implement Static Layers, I believe it to be unfair to expect Roll20 to provide any widgets for use. Someone hoping up on top of another layer would require a feature that is outside of the scope of map layers. To have this feature Tokens would have to have a zOrder like attribute that represents which layer it actually rests on. The good news is this process could easily be moved to the client for processing. However, until additional layers are an available feature there is no use of layer navigation controls.. Andrew said: Epsilon R. said: Also, what do you do if someone wants to get onto a roof? No amount of layers, dynamic objects, etc. can replace the theater of the mind.  That being said, if you anticipate your players needing to get on a roof, just add the roof to your map in a separate location, and move their tokens over to it when they "climb up". I wholly agree with you, the ability to imagine is king. However, I have been experimenting with narrative based role & roll play, people's imaginations are not created equal, some can imagine surroundings easily, some can comprehend political story lines better, and some can comprehend magic/psychic systems. I don't need high end graphics to keep my players involved, I could live with Roll20 toning down graphic file sizes. But I would appreciate easier methods for my players to navigate a map in a manner that does not have me saying "hold on a sec", with my group that can be as often as every 5 minutes. Out of my 5 regulars only one can picture an environment.
What if it was a layer that was above the token layer but when a token with site was under it it would become transparent for buildings and secret areas. this would also go well with some one suggested the ability to make multiple layers and the GM orders them which could allow for multi layer complexes on 1 map say have 2 background layers and 2 token layers, and the dm just has to switch which token layer the player is on
1449583193
PrincessFairy
Marketplace Creator
+1 this is a fantastic idea and would work well with environmental effects like rain and snow and conceal the tokens like there in it not floating on top.
1449771463
This would also be great for me. Currently the tokens / items associated to players always display above other items (when viewed by players) on the token layer, even when those items are set to be in "front" of the player controlled items. This function is in most cases useful, however I have recently been designing interactive puzzles. Being able to display the layers to the players in the intended order would be a huge boon. I would love to see both options available. 
1450836078
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We need this.... custom layers would be best... but at a min... Map Layer (walls floors.. players can see but can't touch) Map Foreground Layer (objects like rugs and such.. players can see but can't touch) Token Layer (interactive stuff to players, tokens, doors, and chests) Foreground Layer (overhead stuff, trees and such.. players can see but can't touch) GM Layer Walls
1450869723

Edited 1450869739
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stephen S. said:  Foreground Layer (overhead stuff, trees and such.. players can see but can't touch) Ensure that this has adjustable transparency that can be adjusted by the API and I will be in heaven :)
1450892053
∇ince
Pro
Sheet Author
Ziechael said: Stephen S. said:  Foreground Layer (overhead stuff, trees and such.. players can see but can't touch) Ensure that this has adjustable transparency that can be adjusted by the API and I will be in heaven :) This is crazy talk Ziechael. Can you imagine what bizarre usage Stephen would devise with such madness? OK, +1 just to observe the carnage.
1450906943
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Combine it with the ability to access image tags with the API and you've got yourself a match made in heaven ;) By the way, be sure to vote for  image tag access too...
1451491123
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yeah....Foreground layer with adjustable transparency access by the API... you could do some wild things. For example....  1) Dial the ceiling to more visible for when the players "check the ceiling."  2) Door archways and "vertical" raising doors could be really cool... as would ceiling light sources and hiding under stairwells. 3) Dial the ceiling to more visible based on ceiling height, having it extremely dialed up in narrow/low cave passage would create an annoy/claustrophobic feeeling. 4) Underwater and flying adventures could be really good using a variation of the "GM Bump" script (this would let you trick out any token to be semi transparent.) 5) And this bad guy would be all the "rage" for a while. (Poor Vince's character dies again.)
1451677861
A friend and I were discussing this as well and we wanted exactly this. It'd be nice to have a layer that you could put trees/clouds, etc because that way the players could walk beneath them?  I don't know if it'd be a lot of work, but it certainly seems like it'd be a very nice thing to have. 
1451928289
So long as it doesn't dramatically increase load times, this is something I have dreamed about having as well.
1452288541
Lgs
Plus
i just wanted to suggest this ^^ As im going more and more into the lightning features it would be very cool to have some kind of  layer for shadows etc. A Layer above the others but not interactive as the others already explained.
A year of +1, so I'll toss mine in as well. Foreground layer would be amazing. <3
+1 for foreground layer! Would totally be happy with this.
+1 this is a must have
+1
+1
1454261676
+1 as well
1454902721
I've been watching this expectingly. It would be awesome to be able to use your creativity in more ways. +1
The thought of having more depth to maps adds a whole new depth to evolving scenarios. Like a collapsing tower or temple.
If they added simple layers, literally just create a layer, have a z order, and set transparency or just hide/show... I would subscribe today. If this feature was already there, I would be entering my CC or paypal info.. But it isn't, so I am not. sorry. 
1456496479
Indeed, an Ambient layer for smoke, mist etc that appears and operates ABOVE he character tokens would be a great asset. +1
1457130214
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
We were just talking about a similar thing recently. We run a lot of adventures where some of the PCs go upstairs before others. It would be great to have multiple layers on the same page. For example, Map1, Object1, GM1, and DL1; Map2, Object2, GM2, and DL2; etc... This way, some of your PCs could retreat back downstairs and then return moments later with ease. Layering the 2nd level of a dungeon right over the 1st would be really awesome. 
+1, for srs.
1457321921

Edited 1457322010
I would LOVE an additional layer. A foreground layer sounds fantastic. I cannot endorse this enough. When you're into decorating and you like using textures and big tokens to flesh out the maps, it can become really fiddly and frustrating when only working with a single layer. An additional layer after background but before tokens would be wonderful too, as well as one that sits above the tokens like the one other folks are suggesting.
+1
1458524211

Edited 1458595665
+1 like with the warcraft 2 style fog of war I'd like to see it implemented kinda like in Skirmish VTT.
1459030710
The Roll20 guys have seen this thread, right? I couldn't help but notice it's over a year old and hasn't seemingly received any sort of attention from the developers. Is there any way we could get confirmation that this is ever going to happen or indeed that it is simply impossible? Even with the complexity stripped out, an extra layer between token and map would be massively useful. 
1459046054
Yeah...  I'm sure they're aware of this thread.  Our 2 year anniversary of this suggestion is coming up this October.  And it's been at least a year since we've been the highest voted suggestion. Though Fog-of-War is starting to creep up on our lead, only 95 votes to match us.
1459279049
Nick
Plus
The crazy thing is I can't see this even being that terribly hard to implement since they already have layers.  I have a feeling it is less about difficulty in coding and more that one of the Roll20 high-ups just don't want this feature.
1459354663
I'd be careful about posting things like that on the Suggestion forum, because it's in violation of the  Suggestion Forum Guidelines , as well as the  Code of Conduct . "...specifically NOT allowed ... Predictions about the response of the Dev Team or the likelihood that a suggestion will be implemented..." Though I am guilty of that a couple times in this thread.
1460117667
Aymar
Sheet Author
Can't vote anymore, but if I could I'd certainly vote for this. Custom layers would be better, but at least foreground. Also, if we could set the transparency for the colors used to draw stuff would be awesome too.
1460229062
For this Idea I would prefer it to just be more than one layer as previously suggested. Namely for the idea of creating vertical maps, using layers the tokens move up to the layer above to then view the map layer behind them. Such as 1a) MAP 2a) TOKEN 1b) MAP 2b) TOKEN 3) GM 4) etc... Anyhow, this seems to be a start... +1 from me. 
1460413739

Edited 1460414384
Yes, translucent overlay, pretty please. ^.^ Oh, and if possible, an option for it to be click throughable/non-interactive so like for poison gas clouds and stuff players can still move their tokens while being hazed over.
I think something like this could also be used to add to ambiance. Having a (mostly transparent) layer of leaves for the forest map, or rafters for the mansion/castle. You could also use it to shade everything and have a morning/dawn/dusk/night effect without having to recolor all your maps and assets (Its really weird to have a 'night time' map when all the tokens are really bright compared to the ground). If you had the right assets, you could have light beams coming through cracks in the ceiling - a white overlay for bright spots and black overlay for dark spots. A neat way to highlight the holy altar or divine holy sword-in-a-stone. You could have fire and fog and acid clouds that player tokens are 'in' because they are under them. Tokens would look like they are under water or under cage bars.
1463856681
So like being able to have a roof not on the token or GM layer, and being able to have second stories in some places? Hmmm. I like it. But maybe have an adjustable thing for each map, like in the options of each where you edit the map's dimensions and background. You could add there an extra Foreground map. Like being able to change whether its in the GM / Player's view or not, or have one below the Token layer but above the Map layer for furniture or carts? (problem with having it on Map layer is if you move it you could accidentally move the map background, which is terrible if it's a Drawing and not attached to the grid, or selecting the furniture or wagon instead of the Tokens) Multiple Foreground layers for multiple stories in buildings, decks of a ship, or multi-layered dungeons?
1463856915
Mark S. said: We were just talking about a similar thing recently. We run a lot of adventures where some of the PCs go upstairs before others. It would be great to have multiple layers on the same page. For example, Map1, Object1, GM1, and DL1; Map2, Object2, GM2, and DL2; etc... This way, some of your PCs could retreat back downstairs and then return moments later with ease. Layering the 2nd level of a dungeon right over the 1st would be really awesome.  Twonk said: For this Idea I would prefer it to just be more than one layer as previously suggested. Namely for the idea of creating vertical maps, using layers the tokens move up to the layer above to then view the map layer behind them. Such as 1a) MAP 2a) TOKEN 1b) MAP 2b) TOKEN 3) GM 4) etc... Anyhow, this seems to be a start... +1 from me.  Volchonok said: I would LOVE an additional layer. A foreground layer sounds fantastic. I cannot endorse this enough. When you're into decorating and you like using textures and big tokens to flesh out the maps, it can become really fiddly and frustrating when only working with a single layer. An additional layer after background but before tokens would be wonderful too, as well as one that sits above the tokens like the one other folks are suggesting. Alex said: I think something like this could also be used to add to ambiance. Having a (mostly transparent) layer of leaves for the forest map, or rafters for the mansion/castle. You could also use it to shade everything and have a morning/dawn/dusk/night effect without having to recolor all your maps and assets (Its really weird to have a 'night time' map when all the tokens are really bright compared to the ground). If you had the right assets, you could have light beams coming through cracks in the ceiling - a white overlay for bright spots and black overlay for dark spots. A neat way to highlight the holy altar or divine holy sword-in-a-stone. You could have fire and fog and acid clouds that player tokens are 'in' because they are under them. Tokens would look like they are under water or under cage bars. Talon said: Yes, translucent overlay, pretty please. ^.^ Oh, and if possible, an option for it to be click throughable/non-interactive so like for poison gas clouds and stuff players can still move their tokens while being hazed over. yes yes yes! Could not agree more with these guys!
1463857026
Stephen S. said: We need this.... custom layers would be best... but at a min... Map Layer (walls floors.. players can see but can't touch) Map Foreground Layer (objects like rugs and such.. players can see but can't touch) Token Layer (interactive stuff to players, tokens, doors, and chests) Foreground Layer (overhead stuff, trees and such.. players can see but can't touch) GM Layer Walls Wouldn't walls just be apart of Map Layer, Map Foreground Layer, or Foreground Layer?
1464381726
Twonk said: For this Idea I would prefer it to just be more than one layer as previously suggested. Namely for the idea of creating vertical maps, using layers the tokens move up to the layer above to then view the map layer behind them. Such as 1a) MAP 2a) TOKEN 1b) MAP 2b) TOKEN 3) GM 4) etc... Anyhow, this seems to be a start... +1 from me.  This is exactly what I want, this would allow for people to be on, or under balconies and depending on which layer they're on the foreground layer could be either transparent or solid. +1 for sure
If another layer is add i would like to be able to select on a token/player basis. This gives the option for astral space in games like shadowrun
1465484967
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I haven't read every comment here, so someone may have suggested this already, but the ability to create sub layers for map and token with the ability to toggle on and off would be perfect for this.
Most of my thoughts have been mentioned so +1
1465992569
I was just thinking about this too, setting up interiors with tables and chairs but lacking the ability to place tokens under the table make it look like they all have their feet up or are sitting on the tables. Doing it all in the token layers means it can be hard to select idnividual tokens and not the tables.
One or more layers would be really fine
1467400197
Was just about to post a similar topic and noticed this post. I would love an overlapping effects layer. I love the idea of overhanging vines, fog, hidden passageways, anything that helps create more immersion for the players, but not interfering with clicking players and NPCs from a GM's perspective. Currently, if I want to obscure a token, I have to simply ask that everyone play as honestly as possible and use a graphic/aura to depict the effect from underneath the tokens. While my players do the best they can, they can't help but play as if the effect were not there, and I don't blame them. It's hard to ignore a fully visible token! "I can't see the creature that just ran through the inky black cloud... but I'm going to run riiiiight up here and probe around, do I feel the enemy? Of course I do, I'm within 5 feet on my first guess!" Here's hoping to see this as a feature in a future update :D
1469690418
+1 so much
1470815039
Top to bottom GM Layer Above Token Layer (Celings, Treetops) Token Layer Below Token Layer (Pits, traps, basements) Dynamic Lighting Layer Map Layer I have a feeling thou, that Above and Below Layers would require a Dynamic Lighting Layer of their own, or the ability to tell three different lighting sources on the same layer.
Yes please. I just came here to see if something like this was being considered. I have a jungle campaign with a lot of creatures attacking from the treetops.
1471214213
+1
+1!