Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Foreground Map Layer

Score + 1221
Essen
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I wouldn't use a foreground layer, but I support the concept. I'd rather add the fog into the map image, so I don't block the view of the tokens. But I also have a player who is legally blind, so there's a lot of effort I make to track their needs.
This is the oldest request here but somehow its still not been adressed?
Izzy said: This is the oldest request here but somehow its still not been adressed? IKR the executives are more interested in partnering with dungeon scrawl than answering the requests of we plebs who pay them.
Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, Thanks for all of this feedback about the foreground layer. I'd love to talk more about how this will make it easier to use Roll20 for you and why you need a foreground layer. If you're interested, here is a link to my calendar. Feel free to schedule a time to talk with me. <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/foreground-layer-user-feedback" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/foreground-layer-user-feedback</a> I look forward to hearing from you! In response to this and to what Gargamond said too: Yes, this is about immersion, but this would make roll20 easier to use too. Presently if I want to have an overlay on the map or an effect or even tree shadows to emulate a canopy, I literally cannot put it over tokens because it makes it impossible to control them. Removing the ability to interface for the GM is an issue. Implementing a fourth layer, preferably one with an opacity slider like the GM layer, would not only hugely improve immersion for more map-focused players, but it'd make the platform easier to use by allowing GMs to not be messing around constantly with Send to Back, Bring to Front. (This system sucks incidentally too).&nbsp;
And this could be used for weather effects as well (Snow / Rain / Fog etc)...
TheMarkus1204 said: And this could be used for weather effects as well (Snow / Rain / Fog etc)... Rafters, powerlines, overpasses, forest canopies, overhead clouds, Flocks of birds, smoke, dust, dust, mist, fog, rain, lightning, waterfalls, ship sails, rigging, will-o’-the-wisps, insects, the list goes on and on and on.
Exactly :) Gargamond said: TheMarkus1204 said: And this could be used for weather effects as well (Snow / Rain / Fog etc)... Rafters, powerlines, overpasses, forest canopies, overhead clouds, Flocks of birds, smoke, dust, dust, mist, fog, rain, lightning, waterfalls, ship sails, rigging, will-o’-the-wisps, insects, the list goes on and on and on.

Edited 1697521052
JD
Pro
More 2022 Updates ... Foreground Map Layer &nbsp;would create an additional VTT layer for graphics to set a scene for player characters and enable player immersion. Alongside token locking, we think this has the potential to help you craft exciting visuals at your table, whether you’re playing in-person or remotely. This idea is currently vying for #2 most voted alongside Custom Compendium. ... - Ankit Lal, CEO Cannot wait to see this.
+1
+1
+1
+1
If I could spend all my votes in one place it would be here.
KatValkyrie said: If I could spend all my votes in one place it would be here. Correct.
+1
+1
+1, why isn't there already a foreground or weather effects layer?

Edited 1705749799
Lord Of The Waffle House said: +1, why isn't there already a foreground or weather effects layer? It’s a long story. It was supposed to happen in mid 2019, shortly after animated tokens were introduced but animated tokens broke the tabletop apparently. Then there was a leadership change when the original creator basically went into early retirement. Then there were two ground-up revamps of the entire tabletop: one in 2019 and one in 2022 IIRC. Now that the Dev team has rebuilt the entire Jenga tower twice, they apparently feel confident enough to eff with this feature some more. This is the third time we have been promised this feature by the way. So keep your fingers crossed and keep your expectations low.

Edited 1705601812
Tim W
Plus
+1 vote from me! I would find a foreground layer with toggled transparency for player visibility, immensely useful and more immersive for my players (and me!) - I can think it would be useful for spell AOE templates, weather effects, fog, and top-down views of obstacles and roofs (as some have mentioned before) this would be simply superb! I think a few have mentioned the ability to create custom layers with different characteristics set depending on how the DM/GM wants to use the layer in question.&nbsp;&nbsp; This would ultimately be the most useful and flexible feature in my view, perhaps there could be no limit to the number of layers, but I suspect performance issues may create some kind of ceiling to this feature (10 layers) - I would use this to create all kinds of useful layers to organize the game tokens, templates and effects displayed on screen to my players.&nbsp; Below is an example of the hyper-functional setup I can imagine: Drawing Layer&nbsp; - For PC/DM/GM drawings using the drawing tool, ideally this can have visibility toggled, and will avoid the problem of deleting important tokens that are set to be 'drawings' when someone clicks the 'delete all drawings' button after their&nbsp;players have been scrawling every kind of profanity possible onto the map) - this allows players to map-out actions, or indicate elements of map to the DM/GM and each other and make notes etc... Foreground Layer &nbsp; for the features / visual effects described above - weather, obstacles, rooftops etc... (including the grid perhaps?) PC Token Layer &nbsp;- For PC tokens, intended for their tokens only, (including companions, summons, etc...) NPC Token Layer &nbsp;- For DM/GM creature tokens, adversaries etc... GM Layer &nbsp;- For hidden tokens, GM overlays, map keys, GM hints / reminders etc... (essentially this remains as it currently functions) Template Layer &nbsp;- For spell templates, AOE effects etc... (editable / usable by both players and DM/GM) Lighting Layer &nbsp;- For static lighting tokens to provide atmospheric lighting for maps etc... (this would interface directly with the&nbsp; 'Terrain Layer'&nbsp; below) Terrain Layer -&nbsp; This would function as the current Lighting Layer functions, allowing DMs/GMs to place drawings / polylines etc... as movement barriers that block light and/or token movement for PCs Map Layer &nbsp;- This would function exactly as the current Map Layer functions (I see DMs/GMs using this to overlay imagery for changeable parts of the map, like traps, secret doors, hidden rooms, environmental variants (collapsed bridges, tunnels, rising water levels etc...) Background Layer &nbsp;- This would function exactly as the Map Layer above, but allows one more layer of flexibility for the DM/GM to use as they see fit (this would most likely be used as the layer that the main map is located and usually assigned a locked position by the DM/GM) The above layers could be quick-keyed to the&nbsp;numerical keypad or the&nbsp;F1-F10 keys (with F11 reserved for the&nbsp;measurement&nbsp;tool and F12 for the combat initiative.

Edited 1705644628
Layers 3 and 4 (Tokens: PC / NPCs) should be just 1 Layer instead of 2 or else using the initiative tracker would be a pain to use as the GM has to always switch Layers. As for the Drawing Layer I really don't see how to have that right now where Players can draw things on the Maps, too! EITHER it switches to that Layer automatically when someone draws something OR Players would need the ability to switch Layers themselves which would only lead to confusion. IMO there should be these Layers: Foreground Layer (Effects etc.) GM Layer Lighting Layer Token Layer (Tokens of all kinds) Layer for AoE Shapes, Spell effects, ... Map Layer F1 in use for Layer switching does not work, too as it would open the Help File for the Browser... Tim W said: +1 vote from me! I would find a foreground layer with toggled transparency for player visibility, immensely useful and more immersive for my players (and me!) - I can think it would be useful for spell AOE templates, weather effects, fog, and top-down views of obstacles and roofs (as some have mentioned before) this would be simply superb! I think a few have mentioned the ability to create custom layers with different characteristics set depending on how the DM/GM wants to use the layer in question.&nbsp;&nbsp; This would ultimately be the most useful and flexible feature in my view, perhaps there could be no limit to the number of layers, but I suspect performance issues may create some kind of ceiling to this feature (10 layers) - I would use this to create all kinds of useful layers to organize the game tokens, templates and effects displayed on screen to my players.&nbsp; Below is an example of the hyper-functional setup I can imagine: Drawing Layer&nbsp; - For PC/DM/GM drawings using the drawing tool, ideally this can have visibility toggled, and will avoid the problem of deleting important tokens that are set to be 'drawings' when someone clicks the 'delete all drawings' button after their&nbsp;players have been scrawling every kind of profanity possible onto the map) - this allows players to map-out actions, or indicate elements of map to the DM/GM and each other and make notes etc... Foreground Layer &nbsp; for the features / visual effects described above - weather, obstacles, rooftops etc... (including the grid perhaps?) PC Token Layer &nbsp;- For PC tokens, intended for their tokens only, (including companions, summons, etc...) NPC Token Layer &nbsp;- For DM/GM creature tokens, adversaries etc... GM Layer &nbsp;- For hidden tokens, GM overlays, map keys, GM hints / reminders etc... (essentially this remains as it currently functions) Template Layer &nbsp;- For spell templates, AOE effects etc... (editable / usable by both players and DM/GM) Lighting Layer &nbsp;- For static lighting tokens to provide atmospheric lighting for maps etc... (this would interface directly with the&nbsp; 'Terrain Layer'&nbsp; below) Terrain Layer -&nbsp; This would function as the current Lighting Layer functions, allowing DMs/GMs to place drawings / polylines etc... as movement barriers that block light and/or token movement for PCs Map Layer &nbsp;- This would function exactly as the current Map Layer functions (I see DMs/GMs using this to overlay imagery for changeable parts of the map, like traps, secret doors, hidden rooms, environmental variants (collapsed bridges, tunnels, rising water levels etc...) Background Layer &nbsp;- This would function exactly as the Map Layer above, but allows one more layer of flexibility for the DM/GM to use as they see fit (this would most likely be used as the layer that the main map is located and usually assigned a locked position by the DM/GM) The above layers could be quick-keyed to the&nbsp;numerical keypad or the&nbsp;F1-F10 keys (with F11 reserved for the&nbsp;measurement&nbsp;tool and F12 for the combat initiative.
Andrew said: That would be the logical next step, but I'm trying to ask for a simple feature (at first). :D Allow me to quote myself from 9 years ago.&nbsp; The original purpose of this suggestion was to offer a simple solution &nbsp;with just 1 additional map layer.&nbsp; Splitting everything into 10 layers is not a simple solution.&nbsp; Then again, it's taken 9+ years and they still haven't added even 1 extra layer...
Andrew said: Andrew said: That would be the logical next step, but I'm trying to ask for a simple feature (at first). :D Allow me to quote myself from 9 years ago.&nbsp; The original purpose of this suggestion was to offer a simple solution &nbsp;with just 1 additional map layer.&nbsp; Splitting everything into 10 layers is not a simple solution.&nbsp; Then again, it's taken 9+ years and they still haven't added even 1 extra layer... I wonder what the hurdle is for them to do this? It would be nice to have just one more layers to put objects on. Should go: Map Objects, doors etc - This is missing. Creatures, npc, players GM layer. Lighting. Maybe it's just more space and resources they don't want to spend money on?
+1

Edited 1707276693
Mr. NumNums said: Andrew said: Andrew said: That would be the logical next step, but I'm trying to ask for a simple feature (at first). :D Allow me to quote myself from 9 years ago.&nbsp; The original purpose of this suggestion was to offer a simple solution &nbsp;with just 1 additional map layer.&nbsp; Splitting everything into 10 layers is not a simple solution.&nbsp; Then again, it's taken 9+ years and they still haven't added even 1 extra layer... I wonder what the hurdle is for them to do this? It would be nice to have just one more layers to put objects on. Should go: Map Objects, doors etc - This is missing. Creatures, npc, players GM layer. Lighting. Maybe it's just more space and resources they don't want to spend money on? With the way employees change so quickly at Roll20, I think it just comes down to executives being out of touch with the user base.&nbsp; They won't deign to read these forums and listen to what users want.&nbsp; And the community manager is so scared of being replaced or fired that they won't bring up forum issues to the executives that they have to spend money on.&nbsp; Everyone's worried about their paycheck in this economy.
Do keep in mind that Nolan T. Jones did post in this Suggestion thread 6 years ago, indicating that there were some technical hurdles to overcome, but it was on their roadmap (at the time). I don't really know what the deal with Andrew Searles was.&nbsp; He actually emailed me directly using the email linked to this account.&nbsp; Which was a really weird flex considering that that contact information is not otherwise publicly available.&nbsp; His email was pretty much the same as what he posted in this thread.&nbsp; I declined his offer to talk directly to him, and instead summarized the majority of this thread, my own history with Roll20, and the exact circumstances that lead me to abandon this platform in favor of Fantasy Grounds (at that time, I've since moved to Foundry).
Andrew said: Do keep in mind that Nolan T. Jones did post in this Suggestion thread 6 years ago, indicating that there were some technical hurdles to overcome, but it was on their roadmap (at the time). I don't really know what the deal with Andrew Searles was.&nbsp; He actually emailed me directly using the email linked to this account.&nbsp; Which was a really weird flex considering that that contact information is not otherwise publicly available.&nbsp; His email was pretty much the same as what he posted in this thread.&nbsp; I declined his offer to talk directly to him, and instead summarized the majority of this thread, my own history with Roll20, and the exact circumstances that lead me to abandon this platform in favor of Fantasy Grounds (at that time, I've since moved to Foundry). Yes Nolan actually had the “layer up“ update slated for mid to late 2019 but apparently animated tokens broke whatever technology they needed to complete that update.
+1 It would be a nice feature in general. For effects, tokens, map items and so on. Even for multiple floors for buildings maybe. Or also maybe have the ability to make as many layers as you need and use them for what purpose you want.
@Xeg: that would be nice with a On/Off Toggle on the layer(s) as well to allow for "pop in, Pop out" for certain things in mass.
+1 This and animated battlemaps....
Alex G. said: +1 This and animated battlemaps.... There's already animated battle maps.&nbsp; You upload them like any other animated file in the art tab.
I was literally coming onto the forums right now to either suggest this, or necro a suggestion that existed.&nbsp; I can't give this enough upvotes.
Tim W said: +1 vote from me! I would find a foreground layer with toggled transparency for player visibility, immensely useful and more immersive for my players (and me!) - I can think it would be useful for spell AOE templates, weather effects, fog, and top-down views of obstacles and roofs (as some have mentioned before) this would be simply superb! While I think that's too many layers for the typical GM honestly, I think the concept you have here of being able to just create more layers in a category as needed is the perfect fix for it.&nbsp; L ike being able to create Token Layer 2, Token Layer 3, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp; That way it is a simple, or as complex, as required by the GM and the table.
Gargamond said: Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, Thanks for all of this feedback about the foreground layer. I'd love to talk more about how this will make it easier to use Roll20 for you and why you need a foreground layer. If you're interested, here is a link to my calendar. Feel free to schedule a time to talk with me. <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/foreground-layer-user-feedback" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/foreground-layer-user-feedback</a> I look forward to hearing from you! I don't mean to appear cheeky, but have you read the six pages in this forum and seen the 1000+ votes on it?&nbsp; It's not about making Roll20 easier to use. Let me say that again.&nbsp; It's not about making Roll20 easier to use.&nbsp; It's about making Roll20 more immersive.&nbsp; Overhead clouds, rafters, overpasses, forest canopies, bridges, aqueducts, flocks of birds, rain, snow, flights of butterflies, will o wisps, etc.&nbsp; It's about the scenes.&nbsp; Making scenes more magical is what this is about.&nbsp; It's not for ease of use.&nbsp; If I wanted ease of use, I'd play at my dinner table with dice and forget about Roll20 altogether. If you don't think immersion is important to me, enter my game as a GM.&nbsp; Try it.&nbsp; Enter my Solynod Hex game and take a look at my pages.&nbsp;&nbsp; People have been asking for this feature for years, it was scheduled for development YEARS ago when Nolan Jones was still talking about the Layer Up update, it has been promised to us by at least two Roll20 executives including Nolan and Ankit Lal, and it's about damn time this feature rolls out.&nbsp; I pay you people a lot of money.&nbsp; I don't actually need a Pro sub.&nbsp; I can get away with just Plus.&nbsp; I'm basically throwing free money at you people and I bet there are a lot of others like me. I've been advocating this feature for years now, and I think it's long overdue. So pretty please, with sugar on top, get it done for the love of god. Oh yeah.&nbsp; And bump. Because vote for this. Could not agree more. I have also been waiting years for this feature and hate not being able to implement things like forest canopies, rafters, balconies, weather effects, and everything else we could be using this tool for. To simply be able to place anything over top of our players' tokens without taking away their ability to still select their token would be incredible. Personally, I'd love to be able to adjust the opacity of a foreground layer so that my players can still see where they are. This way I wouldn't need to create multiple files such as "treetop-temple-level2.jpg" with 100% opacity and "treetop-temple-level2-overlay.png" with 50% opacity. If the layer could manage the opacity, I'd be able to use the same art file without needing to create and upload 2 images to my roll20 storage database that's already pretty full. +1 every day of the week.
Yes, this would be freaking fantastic. +1 vote from me. I hope this might get touched on in future notices to the roll20 community.
Ub3rd00d said: Gargamond said: Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, Thanks for all of this feedback about the foreground layer. I'd love to talk more about how this will make it easier to use Roll20 for you and why you need a foreground layer. If you're interested, here is a link to my calendar. Feel free to schedule a time to talk with me. <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/foreground-layer-user-feedback" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/foreground-layer-user-feedback</a> I look forward to hearing from you! I don't mean to appear cheeky, but have you read the six pages in this forum and seen the 1000+ votes on it?&nbsp; It's not about making Roll20 easier to use. Let me say that again.&nbsp; It's not about making Roll20 easier to use.&nbsp; It's about making Roll20 more immersive.&nbsp; Overhead clouds, rafters, overpasses, forest canopies, bridges, aqueducts, flocks of birds, rain, snow, flights of butterflies, will o wisps, etc.&nbsp; It's about the scenes.&nbsp; Making scenes more magical is what this is about.&nbsp; It's not for ease of use.&nbsp; If I wanted ease of use, I'd play at my dinner table with dice and forget about Roll20 altogether. If you don't think immersion is important to me, enter my game as a GM.&nbsp; Try it.&nbsp; Enter my Solynod Hex game and take a look at my pages.&nbsp;&nbsp; People have been asking for this feature for years, it was scheduled for development YEARS ago when Nolan Jones was still talking about the Layer Up update, it has been promised to us by at least two Roll20 executives including Nolan and Ankit Lal, and it's about damn time this feature rolls out.&nbsp; I pay you people a lot of money.&nbsp; I don't actually need a Pro sub.&nbsp; I can get away with just Plus.&nbsp; I'm basically throwing free money at you people and I bet there are a lot of others like me. I've been advocating this feature for years now, and I think it's long overdue. So pretty please, with sugar on top, get it done for the love of god. Oh yeah.&nbsp; And bump. Because vote for this. Could not agree more. I have also been waiting years for this feature and hate not being able to implement things like forest canopies, rafters, balconies, weather effects, and everything else we could be using this tool for. To simply be able to place anything over top of our players' tokens without taking away their ability to still select their token would be incredible. Personally, I'd love to be able to adjust the opacity of a foreground layer so that my players can still see where they are. This way I wouldn't need to create multiple files such as "treetop-temple-level2.jpg" with 100% opacity and "treetop-temple-level2-overlay.png" with 50% opacity. If the layer could manage the opacity, I'd be able to use the same art file without needing to create and upload 2 images to my roll20 storage database that's already pretty full. +1 every day of the week. I believe that an opacity control was Nolan Jones’ original plan in the Layer Up update in 2019. Hopefully that hasn’t changed because I think the feature would be nearly useless without it.