Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A better way to organize pages.

Apologies if this has been posted before but, my fellow GM and I would love it if there were better way to organize pages in Roll20 with something like folders, For example: I could create a folder with all my maps for a specific adventure and then create other folders for other plots. So is anything like this in the works?

Edited 1446683159
Gold
Forum Champion
Some folders are coming in the next major Roll20 update, but not on the Pages section as far as I know. I believe there has been some talk about an upgrade to Pages but I don't know when it is coming or what it would look like. I do agree that Pages is tricky to use once you have more than 5 to 8 pages (and I have around 20, and it's hard to reach the far pages, lots of dragging and scrolling). Note: There is an unofficial workaround, that's posted on the forums somewhere. I believe The Aaron wrote it or knows how to explain it. It's a code you can put in your browser URL which will open the Pages bar as nearly a full screen with multiple rows, instead of all the Pages on one long row that you have to scroll. Again unfortunately I don't recall the exact link or how to find that, but if you search and scour the forums, it exists. EDITED LATER TO ADD: Here is a workaround method developed by another user, posted on the General forum, Fullscreen Page Bar <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscre" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscre</a>...

Edited 1429284851
I remember I did suggest folders in pages back in 2012 or 2013 I believe (This was LONG before the zooming in and out slider, back when it was in the tools), I was given a reason why it was "not feasable" but I cannot recall it. Pages are still an issue for me and I recently posted another thought I had. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1840901/more-use" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1840901/more-use</a>... I am going to check the "work around" suggested by the first comment in my thread later today, hopefully both of us find it usefull and won't need folders or an expanding drop down page field. I will also see if I can dig up my old suggestion thread for folders and see why it was dismissed, If memory serves they gave a good reason. Figured out how to see all my old threads. Here is the thread and the reason I was told pages was not as easily to put in as I had hoped. But alot of people seem to like the idea. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3224/pages-folde" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3224/pages-folde</a>... The reason was: I see what you mean, there is no autoscroll to move the screen. Unfortunately, large campaigns have issues such as this and the file size problem (as the file size for the campaign grows it becomes difficult for people with slow connections to load the campaign). This why I keep the campaign size down by breaking it into segments. - Gauss People do seem to like the idea of folders and ease of access for large amount of pages though.
Gold
Forum Champion
Good info and findings Seedle. While the support and comments on the older posts are helpful -- those from beyond 6 months ago are archived on the old Suggestions board. The current, newer suggestion forum has implemented the Voting feature. Hopefully some of those supporters of the idea from the old board will return here to Vote this up.
So its been 5 months since last comment, I want to try and revive this post since I completely agree and has not been implimented yet. The characters/Handouts update was amazing, so now we just need page folders!
+1 from me - page management should to be improved. My main concern is easy access to many different pages, which is difficult today. A page tree / folders would be much appreciated.
+1 from me too, just folders so i can have all my dungeon or mission pages together, currently stuck naming them all with a letter to bunch them up which is a small fix but thats all

Edited 1459403421
I just want to emphasize here, when I say "pages" I mean pages in the Roll20 sense, which is to say "maps." The Roll20 Dev Team have done an excellent job in giving us folders for organizing all the material under the Journal tab, the characters, handouts and such. I think everyone under this thread has got this but,&nbsp; I don't want to confuse people when I say "pages." I mean the maps and things specifically under the "page toolbar."
Here's my Chrome Stylish extension css solution for the page toolbar. Given how simple it was to create these adjustments to the page toolbar... I have no idea why we're still stuck with the single scrolling row of pages we have right now. Apply to URL <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/</a> #page-toolbar { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 74%; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 78%; &nbsp; &nbsp; background-color: #CCC; &nbsp; &nbsp; border: 1px solid #000; &nbsp; &nbsp; border-radius: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin:0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px 0px 0px 1%; } #page-toolbar .handle { &nbsp; &nbsp; right: 20px!important; } #page-toolbar .container, #page-toolbar .pages { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 100%; } #page-toolbar .availablepage { &nbsp; &nbsp; float: left; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 50px; &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 50px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px; }
Yes, the current implementation is a usability nightmare. Not only does it not allow easy access to the stuff that the GM requires most (the maps), the page pane als obscures the toolbar on the left as well as the zoom control on the right.&nbsp;
I am backing this request as well. &nbsp;Right now, I am contemplating splitting my Rise of the Runlelords campaign so that each part is its own campain. &nbsp;That will be the only way that i can handle the large collection of different maps. &nbsp;So either the map management needs to be reworked from teh ground up where the ui is concerned or they need to implement the stylish settings into the general source code.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 &nbsp;To making a better page-toolbar. You can also use a bookmarklet if you don't use Stylish or similar... Make a bookmark, edit bookmark, name it whatever you like, enter the code below in the URL field and save. &nbsp;Run the bookmark after you open the roll20 tabletop. &nbsp;This works per-session and only affects your view of the tabletop. &nbsp;Edit the js to fit your needs. javascript:(function(){ $('#page-toolbar').height('480px') .width('80%');$('#page-toolbar .container').css({height: '480px', 'width':'80%', 'white-space': 'normal'});}());
Vince said: You can also use a bookmarklet if you don't use Stylish or similar... Make a bookmark, edit bookmark, name it whatever you like, enter the code below in the URL field and save. &nbsp;Run the bookmark after you open the roll20 tabletop. &nbsp;This works per-session and only affects your view of the tabletop. &nbsp;Edit the js to fit your needs. javascript:(function(){ $('#page-toolbar').height('480px') .width('80%');$('#page-toolbar .container').css({height: '480px', 'width':'80%', 'white-space': 'normal'});}()); Thanks for this, Vince. The bookmarklet works in Chrome, but not in Firefox 41.0.2. Other bookmarklets work in Firefox. Does Firefox need something different in the syntax for this one?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Rabulias said: Vince said: You can also use a bookmarklet if you don't use Stylish or similar... Make a bookmark, edit bookmark, name it whatever you like, enter the code below in the URL field and save. &nbsp;Run the bookmark after you open the roll20 tabletop. &nbsp;This works per-session and only affects your view of the tabletop. &nbsp;Edit the js to fit your needs. javascript:(function(){ $('#page-toolbar').height('480px') .width('80%');$('#page-toolbar .container').css({height: '480px', 'width':'80%', 'white-space': 'normal'});}()); Thanks for this, Vince. The bookmarklet works in Chrome, but not in Firefox 41.0.2. Other bookmarklets work in Firefox. Does Firefox need something different in the syntax for this one? Sadly, I have no clue why it wouldn't work in FF. &nbsp;CSP changes in FF? <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=866522" rel="nofollow">https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=866522</a>
I would just use an extension, because then you can change colors and such to suit your preferences without having to remember to click the bookmarklet all the time.
Yes, I went ahead and installed Stylish, and that has been working fine for the page toolbar. Hopefully this feature can get natively incorporated into Roll20. Thanks for your help!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
HoneyBadger said: I would just use an extension, because then you can change colors and such to suit your preferences without having to remember to click the bookmarklet all the time. +1 for Stylish. &nbsp;It finds more usage in my browser everyday. &nbsp;Not just roll20 either.
Vince said: HoneyBadger said: I would just use an extension, because then you can change colors and such to suit your preferences without having to remember to click the bookmarklet all the time. +1 for Stylish. &nbsp;It finds more usage in my browser everyday. &nbsp;Not just roll20 either. I'll probably give the Firefox equivalent of Stylish a try myself, however, I've got a few technophobe friends running games here on Roll20 (And they both love the power and ease of use! Just to make that clear.) and I don't know if they have Chrome or would like the idea of running additional Firefox plugins. So yeah, I'd still much prefer if Roll20 add this functionality natively.
Would also really like some sort of sorting system for the pages. Folders would be fantastic. The system Stars Without Numbers would be great for these folders. Name a planet with each folder and you are golden.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Good ideas. &nbsp;Vote added.
I'm hovering around 30 maps with new ones being created per week, lol. &nbsp;+1 from me.
Please, I have loads of Pages aswell.&nbsp; Sometimes i make crazy big Pages, which has its own drawbacks and im an avid User of the Archive feature&nbsp;
Agreed. I considered Fantasy Grounds since it seemed like I wouldn't struggle with my massive amounts of maps (especially Custom) but you can't been Roll20 on maps. Just need a better way to manage 10+
Yes we need a better way to view and organize pages! I would love to be able to stick them in folders so that all these pages are part of Dungeon 1 and these 2 pages are in encounter 2 and so on.
having 60+ maps makes it difficult to keep organized having the archive system helps but i think a folder system is a great idea in order to keep certain maps together.
My main campaign now have 90+ pages... Need sorting badly!
Going to give this a +1. &nbsp;Scrolling across that page bar (especially when moving players to a different page) can be quite frustrating. &nbsp;8P
+1 to this please.&nbsp; Fairly new user and was looking to see if this feature was around already and I just couldn't find it. From what I saw in my searching is that people have been asking for this similar thing for about 3 years.&nbsp; Hopefully this gets added soon as I know the campaign I am running will need some serious map management. Thank you.
+1 also. If not folders, perhaps a search interface for the maps? I'm using the css script posted elsewhere and it is very handy. The archive option does help but folders would definitely be the best.
Gold
Forum Champion
Vyxxi said: +1 also. If not folders, perhaps a search interface for the maps? I'm using the css script posted elsewhere and it is very handy.&nbsp; Another workaround, available to you as a Pro subscriber, try the MapChange API script. This does not put maps in folders, but, it prints a text and button-based contents of your maps into Chat in a hidden GM whisper, which helps with moving Players to another map when you have a long list of map pages. MapChange API thread, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3448591/script-m" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3448591/script-m</a>...
I run a 10-GM, 60-100 player Living-style game and having the GMs have the ability to organize stuff beyond just putting their name and the adventure series, quest, and encounter number before the name of the map would be a godsend.

Edited 1468497858
This needs to happen already.&nbsp; Come on Roll20, get with it! :)&nbsp; +1
Please let this happen! Folders or a branching tree system for maps, please! Upvoted! (And thank you to Gold for pointing out this thread &lt;3 )
I guess the people have spoken. They want this feature as much as I and my friends do. Here's hoping we see it soon!

Edited 1474655898
+1. I wish I could +2.
Yes, please this. Anything would be better than what we have. It's so clunky and difficult to use, I have 30+ maps and it's becoming incredibly insufferable.
Trae
Sheet Author
Bump. Thanks for the tip Vince that helps a lot. Would like to see this fully implemented though.&nbsp;
+1 I run a sandbox and this is becoming a larger and larger issue, I need to be able to sort maps, maybe by folder, and / or do word look ups, and maybe just a button to click to bring player focus instead of drag.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Matt W. said: I run a 10-GM, 60-100 player Living-style game and having the GMs have the ability to organize stuff beyond just putting their name and the adventure series, quest, and encounter number before the name of the map would be a godsend. I have this SAME issue. I host a Large group (NPC Sagas) and this is a HUGE issue for us. Our only soultion is Every DM creates their own page for their own stuff, but then players are stuck making sheets for every individual one shot or what not. In a group like this, It helps having players ready to plug inand play, and when our DMs are splitting up to different pages we lose that ability all together. And the main reason we do this is BECAUSE it's impossible to keep our maps section (pages) organized. I've personally spent hours myself organizing other DMs work, sorting through figuring out who is the user of what, is this still an active map? Folders would solve everything, especially "tree folders" where I can create a folder for each DM and then they can have their own subfolders for "Town maps" "Dungeon Maps" etc. If I could say I plus 100 this, it would speak from my entire group as a whole, but I will link them all to this forum and tell them to plus one it :)
+1
+1
+1
More upvotes for this idea! Excellent! Just for this, here are some robots laughing!

Edited 1485244006
+1 on this. Would love some better organization to the pageToolbar than just the LR scrolling. Just a drop down, or a list even would be a good option imo. EDIT : After messing around with the CSS for a while, I just found the "Archive" function (is this new?) which is incredibly useful for sorting old scenes into a folder that you no longer need. Also, here's my take on the CSS that SkyCaptainXIII wrote. I made it a bit easier to see the names of everything. Don't know how to do white font with black borders, so it's just bold red right now. #page-toolbar { height: 74%; width: 78%; background-color: #CCC; border: 1px solid #000; border-radius: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 1%; } #page-toolbar .handle { right: 20px; } #page-toolbar .availablepage { float: left; margin: 0; padding: 0; font-variant: small-caps; width: 180px; height: 100px; color: #ff4747; font-weight: bold; font-size: 14px; } div.container { height: 775px; }
Nicholas R. said: I just found the "Archive" function (is this new?) which is incredibly useful for sorting old scenes into a folder that you no longer need. Nope, it's not new. It can be a good stopgap solution though -- name everything with a hierarchy naming convention, and since the archive folder is alphabetical, it makes it easier to find just the map you want. So for example, your "wilderness forest autumn clearing" map will always be right next to your "wilderness forest autumn crossroad" map.

Edited 1487526749
Thom
Pro
+1 from me, after I went and reinvented the wheel here: &nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4611537/map-management-options/?pageforid=4613701#post-4613701" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4611537/map-management-options/?pageforid=4613701#post-4613701</a> ... that post follows. Hi folks. So I end up making a lot of encounter maps as a GM, and find that they are difficult to manage when they are available only along one looooooong horizontal ribbon (noncompact, not searchable, non-hierarchical). It's nice to see the preview and all, but ends up being awkward in a practical sense to find what I'm looking for. Perhaps there could be an alternative way to organize maps. It doesn't need to replace the ribbon; could be just an additional interface of some kind accessing the same information. Simply being more compact, even text-based, would be useful. In my ideal world it would be multi-layer hierarchical and organizable by me, so that (for example) I could group the six levels of the Dungeon of Infinite Sorrow together in a category (yes, I know that I can drag the individual maps around in the ribbon), and that category could be in a higher-level category of Locations in the Province of Yaar, or whatever. Finally, if it all were more compact, so I could see more maps (or map titles) on a screen -- I'm envisioning a vertically scrolling window here -- it would be easier to find what I'm looking for. Bonus points for having maps (and/or category/groups of maps) be searchable and taggable ("Dungeon", "Already Visited", "Key NPC present"), with free-text annotations available (e.g., in which I could note when and in what context the players came through that map or that group of maps). Another option would be to be able to select hierarchical groups from this interface, and then the ribbon would be populated by (only) the maps in that group. Best of both worlds? In the interim, thanks to those who posted in this thread above re the clever use of archiving and the enlargement of the ribbon through CSS tweaking.&nbsp; Thanks devs --
There is no denying it, this is essential. Should be very high priority. &nbsp;The current system of page management really only holds up under one-shot games and very short campaigns.
+1 for me, I'm currently GMing a couple of long campaigns and page management is a headache, especially if players go back and forth from one location to another. The current page system really doesn't cut it as soon as the number of pages becomes &gt;10.
+1. As a GM with 5 player and 40 plus maps, having a way to manage the way I get to the one needed in the moment is critical. When half of my players are on map 28 because they are in a wolfs den and the rest is out side to catch anything that tries to escape and need to be able to see map 8 (the generic battle map of this particular clime/season), it really bogs down the flow of the game. An implementation of page management would make running the game a little less hectic for the GM, but will also more enjoyable for the players because they don't lose the flow of the game.
+1 my dungeon is over 200 maps long
+1 I really want/need this for a campaign I am running. TIA