Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A better way to organize pages.

Edited 1689661515
Richard said: If someone asked me to implement Roll20 folder management for pages in a quick and low-risk manner I would probably add a new Pages section to the Collections tab (i.e. the GM-only tab with Macros, Decks, etc.). I'd reuse the folder creation/dragging/organization code as used in the Journal for handouts.  The existing Page Toolbar would stay the same (i.e. no folders in the Page Toolbar), so there would be no issues with the player ribbon and splitting the party.  Each page would have a check-box "Show in Page Toolbar" — so the Page Toolbar is now functionally a set of "favorite" pages that are added from the Pages section of the Collections tab and  arranged in the  Page Toolbar in a manner  independent of their arrangement in the  Collections tab. Y ou could right-click on a Page folder in the Collections tab to delete groups of pages, remove all the pages in the folder from the Page  Toolbar, or add all of the pages in the folder to the  Page  Toolbar, etc. This sounds like such a good solution and I'm shocked that the Roll20 devs overhauled the lighting system before doing this. Also as a developer myself, I concur with Duncan that this could be done in a single day. Edit: Oh goodie, I get to start the next page.
Yeah I just wanted to add that this has been from day 1 the biggest issue I've had with roll20, that they clearly do not care to fix in any reasonable time table. This is sheer utter  incompetence  at this point, and genuinely though I prefer to use roll20, I will find something else. As someone who runs a lot of homebrew games that focus heavily on travelling, I like to make sure I have a variety of maps that keep things fresh,but this just bogs it all down.  This can be done in a day, One Day .  How is this one of the larger issues that still hasn't been fixed? How do you as developers just not care that much?

Edited 1690390663
So last night after ending my weekly campaign session I see a popup that Roll20 would like me to evaluate a new feature associated with handouts.  OK.  I'm game.  I won't go into the details of the possible new feature but I will ask what the H is roll20 doing adding new, unasked for features before adding folders for pages!?  The amount of resources required to make these changes could have easily been assigned to making map folders happen.   Once again I am left with only one conclusion:     Roll20 will never implement map folders because they don't see it as a w ay to attract new business.

Edited 1690398413
On top of my head I can think of at least 4 ways to implement this feature. Each will make some users happy and each will make many other users unhappy. Each of these 4 implementations can NOT be done in one day. Any claim that there is a one-day solution is just plain incorrect. I am happy to see that Roll20 is implementing other - albeit small - changes, that is an indication there is an active team working on the VTT. As there is no silver bullet for this one, i sincerely hope that roll20 will find the courage one day to choose and implement a solution.

Edited 1690470120
Richard said: If someone asked me to implement Roll20 folder management for pages in a quick and low-risk manner I would probably add a new Pages section to the Collections tab (i.e. the GM-only tab with Macros, Decks, etc.). I'd reuse the folder creation/dragging/organization code as used in the Journal for handouts.  The existing Page Toolbar would stay the same (i.e. no folders in the Page Toolbar), so there would be no issues with the player ribbon and splitting the party.  Each page would have a check-box "Show in Page Toolbar" — so the Page Toolbar is now functionally a set of "favorite" pages that are added from the Pages section of the Collections tab and  arranged in the  Page Toolbar in a manner  independent of their arrangement in the  Collections tab. Y ou could right-click on a Page folder in the Collections tab to delete groups of pages, remove all the pages in the folder from the Page  Toolbar, or add all of the pages in the folder to the  Page  Toolbar, etc. Another +1 for this kind of implementation, where folders and maps live in the righthand sidebar and the top navigation pulldown is for map favorites so it's not infinitely cluttered. I saw on Twitter this morning that we're finally, officially, getting map folders "this summer"! A long time coming! I just really hope the implementation isn't as clunky as in Roll20's provided screenshot, and that Roll20 sees and reads comments here and maybe, just maybe checks out the competition (cough Foundry cough) because they solve this problem very well, and you might as well steal from the best. (Also, nested map folders, please.)
Please give me map folders. I've only been running my current game for a few months and it is already hard to find the page I want.
We desperately need a feature to better organize maps/pages. I have been running a very fleshed version of Dragon Heist that is now turning into Dungeon of the Mad Mage. We need page folders with linked folders of handouts, audio tracks, etc. I am a software engineer. I know this can't be too hard to accomplish.
So, three years ago, I stopped using Roll20 due to this issue (and general dissatisfaction with the development pace).  I got a coupon as part of a Kickstarter and since I was logged in anyway, figured I'd see how this has gone. I'm actually surprised that there's no folders yet, and I'm amazed that the developers are asking for feedback from Roll20 users as to how they'll use folders.  Roll20 users don't know how they'll use folders, they've never had them. The one piece of constructive feedback I have from using other VTTs is that "symlinks" be allowed as well... basically, the ability to have the same map exist in multiple folders.  Copies don't work nearly as well since if you make a change on any one of them, you have to copy it to all of them again. Please don't delay folders another eight years so you can implement symlinks though.
Hey folks! We'll have a full update soon (lots going on in Roll20 Land) -- Page Folders are coming to Roll20 this summer. Please check out the tweet for a preview !
I'll believe when I see it. Stopped my subscription 6 years & usage of Roll20 5 years ago, maybe longer for both, because of the folder issue. 
At last! Summer's almost over so lets see it! Bianca said: Hey folks! We'll have a full update soon (lots going on in Roll20 Land) -- Page Folders are coming to Roll20 this summer. Please check out the tweet for a preview !
I'm glad this is being worked on.
+1
So....summer is officially over today.  Any update on the folders, Bianca?
Eagerly awaiting the update. My 200 maps detailing every bit of faerun north are in dire need of organisation and search function
Antoine said: So....summer is officially over today.  Any update on the folders, Bianca? Indeed, my breath is officially bated. Let's see it!
+1
+1 for an update 

Edited 1694096687
Bianca
Roll20 Team
We received great feedback from our community for Page Folders, so we are moving our launch date to October 24 to make sure we provide the best experience for our users. We appreciate your patience! Here's a new look at the work in progress:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/OZFhWEm" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/OZFhWEm</a> EDIT: Sorry it's saying it's mature content; it's not (the folders aren't THAT spicy)&nbsp;¯\_(ツ)_/¯&nbsp;

Edited 1694422282
THANK you for the Update Bianca. One question I have to this: will the green bar and the small buttons disappear that are there now? (Those that if clicked accidentally, a new map was created? And HOW will this affect player placement? (will it still be the avatar to drag to the page you want the player to be OR will it be in the questionare you started for this?) Bianca said: We received great feedback from our community for Page Folders, so we are moving our launch date to October 24 to make sure we provide the best experience for our users. We appreciate your patience! Here's a new look at the work in progress:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/OZFhWEm" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/OZFhWEm</a> EDIT: Sorry it's saying it's mature content; it's not (the folders aren't THAT spicy)&nbsp;¯\_(ツ)_/¯&nbsp;
The buttons are moving "on top" of the map image, but it's a work in progress so there may be tweaks.&nbsp; And the team has some cool stuff planned for player placement -- I'll share a preview when it's ready!
Thank you so much for the update! Looking forward to this change :D
Bianca said: We received great feedback from our community for Page Folders, so we are moving our launch date to October 24 to make sure we provide the best experience for our users. We appreciate your patience! Here's a new look at the work in progress:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/OZFhWEm" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/OZFhWEm</a> Bianca said: The buttons are moving "on top" of the map image, but it's a work in progress so there may be tweaks.&nbsp; And the team has some cool stuff planned for player placement -- I'll share a preview when it's ready! Very much looking forward to October 24th! But one suggestion that occurs to me to save screen real estate. How about we reduce each map page to a little icon and a title alone? This is very much like how the VTTES browser extension does it. Perhaps that could be copied? If a GM needs to see a little thumbnail of the map itself, that could be handled as a popup tool tip or something similar. Regardless how it's done, very, very much looking forward to October 24th!
+1

Edited 1695107596
So.&nbsp; This thread was opened eight years ago.&nbsp; It has almost a quarter of a million views.&nbsp; It has over one thousand upvotes.
October can't come fast enough. I NEED these.
+1
+1
I just want to mention that October 24th is only 10 days from reading this. This will be one of the best upgrades !
Came to the forum to ask for this specific thing, and it's going to happen in two days? Amazing, thank you for the upgrade!

Edited 1698102285
Carl-Einar Ö. said: Came to the forum to ask for this specific thing, and it's going to happen in two days? Amazing, thank you for the upgrade! It was eight years of complaints but yes, it's finally coming! Hooray!
Begins "24 Hour" countdown.
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11666661/page-folders-have-arrived/?pageforid=11666661#post-11666661" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11666661/page-folders-have-arrived/?pageforid=11666661#post-11666661</a> Page Folders is here! :-)