This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New to Roll20 or RPGs? Need Guidance? Click Here. (Read the OP First)

1498601259

Edited 1500612512
Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest trying our  Tutorial -- this in-game walk-through shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Next, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Finally, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
Hi, Im new GM on roll, but I want to start my RPG's campaign with macros. I would like to see all pages in rows, so I found a macros on this forum (which was written 2 years ago) author was talking about plugin on Chrome - Stylebot. But this plugin edit all internet pages but doesent work on roll. Do you know why?
1498876551
Silvyre
Roll20 Mod Team
Hi, wybierz t. Are you referring to this CSS trick for the Page Toolbar ? If the styling doesn't work in Stylebot, I would recommend trying Stylish . If that fails, perhaps the Page Toolbar's coding has changed and the styling needs to be updated.
1498900762

Edited 1498900838
Sled
Plus
Hello, guys. I'm new GM on Roll20 and have one specific question but I don't know where a topic for the simular things is. Does the subscription of Roll20 give advantages only for the creator of the game? For example, can I use dinamic lightnings if my friend (GM in his game) makes me GM in his session? Or I can use it only in games made by me? Thanks you for attention.
1498913159

Edited 1498913277
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Sled said: Hello, guys. I'm new GM on Roll20 and have one specific question but I don't know where a topic for the simular things is. Does the subscription of Roll20 give advantages only for the creator of the game? For example, can I use dinamic lightnings if my friend (GM in his game) makes me GM in his session? Or I can use it only in games made by me? Thanks you for attention. The game's creator has the perks of their subscription.  So, if you are the creator of a game and make another person a co-gm of the game, they will be able to use your "in-game" benefits.  More info about co-gm on the wiki: https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management#Game_Name
1498915982
Sled
Plus
Vince said: Sled said: Hello, guys. I'm new GM on Roll20 and have one specific question but I don't know where a topic for the simular things is. Does the subscription of Roll20 give advantages only for the creator of the game? For example, can I use dinamic lightnings if my friend (GM in his game) makes me GM in his session? Or I can use it only in games made by me? Thanks you for attention. The game's creator has the perks of their subscription.  So, if you are the creator of a game and make another person a co-gm of the game, they will be able to use your "in-game" benefits.  More info about co-gm on the wiki: https://wiki.roll20.net/Game_Management#Game_Name Thank you! :)
1499020517

Edited 1499021097
Silvyre said: Hi, wybierz t. Are you referring to this CSS trick for the Page Toolbar ? If the styling doesn't work in Stylebot, I would recommend trying Stylish . If that fails, perhaps the Page Toolbar's coding has changed and the styling needs to be updated. No exactly but the author of those posts was the same. I see he find a new solution so I will try with his new idea. Its helps  immediately
im trying to make a character sheet, can anyone help
1499175342

Edited 1499175460
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Fisher H. said: im trying to make a character sheet, can anyone help Welcome to roll20 Fisher.  With a little html/css know-how and a Pro level subscription(to unlock the Custom sheet feature) anyone can make their own sheet.  You can read some info on building sheets on the wiki  Building Character Sheets and  CSS Wizardry .  Post character sheet related questions to the  Character Sheets & Compendium forum if and when you need help.  I would suggest grabbing the code ( roll20's github repository ) from an existing sheet, something on the less complex side (5e Shaped or Pathfinder not recommended...) and start experimenting with that using an external text editor like notepad++ or similar.  Copy/Paste your edited code into the custom sheet editor's html/css tabs.  I would forgo using the editor's preview tab(it's rather unreliable) and instead load up your game into another tab to see your edits.  The process is a little rough but it works.  Edit, copy/paste into the editor, save, refresh game.  Rinse and repeat.  Also, you can use the browser's built-in developer tools to inspect and temporarily edit your sheet's html/css while it's loaded in the game.  Great tool.  Good luck.   
1499176066
Pat S.
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
Fisher H. said: im trying to make a character sheet, can anyone help Hello Fisher. Are you trying to create a custom sheet that is not already created? If so then what Vince said is probably the best way to do it. If you are just trying to get a character sheet to show up in your game then there are two ways to do it. If you are a player then you have to get your GM to add the blank sheet and assign it to you. If you are the game's creator or was promoted to co-GM status in a game, you to your  journal tab in the game and click on the add button then select character.
1499176335
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Pat S. said: Fisher H. said: im trying to make a character sheet, can anyone help Hello Fisher. Are you trying to create a custom sheet that is not already created?  lol.  I thought about that after I posted.  GOOD question Pat.
1499178885
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
Well you covered the custom creation so nicely but I wanted to be sure that is what Fisher meant by his comment of trying to make a character sheet so your explanation did not go to waste. :P
Hi I am new to this site, btw I love it so much but I have a few questions.  I like the automatic dice roll on attribs and etc but how do I whisper them to myself (GM) when I roll for example an HP on my monsters?
1499397013
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello Aileen and welcome to roll20. What system are you playing and which sheet are you using?
1499397265

Edited 1499397630
I don't know about the system :)) but the char sheet we are using is the 5e, but I chose the Npc template..  it's the one that when I click any attrib it will automatically roll a dice with the modifier.. But I wanted to make it private as a GM. Also is there a macro for HP on monsters? because I made a macro for initiative which is >  /w gm & %{selected|npc_init} But I don't how to make it so for other attributes.. 
1499428483
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm not an expert on macros like that but if you can find out the "attr_name" of the attributes you wish to whisper then you should be able touse that macro you posted as long as you substitute the attribute names (replace npc_init with the other attribute). This mostly a guess on my part as I don't play 5e nor use those sheets. I would recommend that you create your own specific thread and ask the question. More eyes will see it that way and there are some real experts on macros in roll20.
guys, i'm totally new to tabletop RPG's, i'm interested in learnig but i ignore even the basics. I went through the tutorial which was really helpful but now i want to create a character and i don't know how to do it. I'm sorry if my questions sound really stupid but i'm really a newbie. I would like to go through a game of the master's vault to learn the basics but i don't know how to find other players for it
1499481373

Edited 1499481453
Silvyre
Roll20 Mod Team
Hi, Skorak D. , welcome to Roll20! Traditionally, players fill out the Character Sheet tab of a Character within their DM/storyteller's Game after being assigned that Character by their DM/storyteller. Within a Game, only the Creator or a promoted GM are able to add Characters and assign them to players . Alternatively, if you are able to export Characters into your DM/storyteller's Game, you may opt to create a Character within your own Game , and then transfer that Character to your DM/storyteller's Game using the Character Vault . Making a post in the Looking for Group Forum is a great way to find a game to join. If you're looking to run a game, you may additionally consider creating a Looking For Group Listing . Good luck!
1499538443
Hi, I'm trying to set up dynamic lighting for my players. But we're running into an issue. When I go to look through their vision as a DM, they should be seeing this However they don't actually see the dynamic vision, sending me a screenshot, they only see this The settings I have enabled are fog of war enabled, dynamic lighting enabled, enforce line of sight enabled, only update on drop is enabled. According to the subscription page the only one who needs to pay is the DM, but if that isn't true I am the only one who has paid for it. Here is how the area is set up with the dynamic lighting
1499538775
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Make sure you have cleared an area of Fog of War around the players.  Is there a light source on the map that all player's can see?
1499539232
Vince said: Make sure you have cleared an area of Fog of War around the players.  Is there a light source on the map that all player's can see? Yeah I just noticed I had fog of war on, turned it off and players see properly, oops
1499641092
Curious on where we actually find groups that are looking for members to join their ranks and play together. Is there a master list or a looking for forum alittle unsure but want to jump in.
1499641291
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Morality said: Curious on where we actually find groups that are looking for members to join their ranks and play together. Is there a master list or a looking for forum alittle unsure but want to jump in. Welcome to roll20 Morality.  I would suggest having a read of the opening post.  It includes some invaluable information.  Cheers Avacyn said: Welcome to Roll20 :) To get kicked off right, I'd suggest trying our Tutorial -- this in-game walk-through shows you how to use the various parts of the software. Additionally, starting your own test game to play with the controls is an excellent way of getting used to the software, and you really can't break anything I promise! Next, check out the Looking For Group Tool and Looking for Group Forum daily for games that may be of interest to you. Finally, be sure to completely fill out your User Profile . Your Bio is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself Enjoys Playing is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for The Orr Group Industry Report of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you Actively Seeks Group For is where you can add yourself to the Player Directory for systems you want to play We have a wiki that grows weekly and is very much worth exploring. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Roll20 by posting in the various sub-forums on their particular topics (Don't stress about putting topics in the right sub-forums, we mods really don't mind moving topics when needed!) Happy gaming!
1499820191
Hello! I just started up my first campaign on roll20 and the first session went great! As I was planning for my next session I noticed and started to learn about Dynamic Lighting. I upgraded to a plus member and followed a youtube tutorial on how to block it off with the draw tool. Then I set my players token to 60ft with 30 ft dim 360 degrees and checked the 2 boxes for everyone can see and has sight. I have all boxes checked except for global illumination. Whenever I went into player view everything around the player is pitch black. I have fog of war turned off... I just don't understand. If anyone could help. Thanks!
1499824417
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
Did you make one token to have light? There must be a light source for all the tokens to see with. Read the  adding light  section of the Dynamic Lighting wiki page.
1499833007
By "player view" did you use Ctrl-L or did you use the "Re-Join as player" button? If you used the Re-Join button, you need to be explicitly selected in the "Can Be Edited & Controlled By" field for Re-Join as Player to show the lighting that that character would see.
1500092116

Edited 1500092150
So is it possible for normal account members to create a character, and if so, how? I'm new to this site, so please help me.
1500095715
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
[Deleted] said: So is it possible for normal account members to create a character, and if so, how? I'm new to this site, so please help me. Custom sheet access is a Pro perk.   Without access to the sheet editor page(html, css, translation, and preview) creating a sheet isn't really possible.  Most sheet aurthors do the bulk of their editing locally using a text editor and then copy/paste their code into the sheet editor, save, and check their changes by refreshing their game in another tab or window.
1500272147

Edited 1500272922
Hello, newcomer to Roll20 (and still new to TRPGs in general) here. :)  I have a question: I was using the Looking for a Group/Join a Group, and I saw several Join Game entries listing as using Discord. I am wondering why the use of Discord instead of Roll20, and how to use Roll20 alongside Discord? Does the tutorial explain this part?  I'm on my phone right now, so I can't see the tutorial, but I will check the tutorial tomorrow on my PC. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)
1500279795

Edited 1500279856
Ziechael
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Welcome to Roll20 Yaitza, some users encounter difficulties with the built in chat system at present and the common workaround is to run discord alongside the VTT. As for how: Open roll20 in tab 1 Open a discord server in tab 2/discord app make sure everyone has the link play and have fun
Ziechael said: Welcome to Roll20 Yaitza, some users encounter difficulties with the built in chat system at present and the common workaround is to run discord alongside the VTT. As for how: Open roll20 in tab 1 Open a discord2 server in tab 2/discord app make sure everyone has the link play and have fun Oh, I see! Ok, I understand. :) Thank you for the clarification and the tips, Ziechael. This will be my first time doing RP with voice/video, because the limited RPing I have done were either in written form, like in forums and message chats, or in person, so I am learning how the voice/video stuff works. :) Thank you for your patience.
1500292325
Ziechael
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Never a problem, we all start somewhere :) Feel free to utilise the ' specific use ' section of the forums for any other questions you may have to increase the chances of some kind soul being able to help you (the community is FULL of such people :) ).
1500388900

Edited 1500441766
Hi all, Been testing the Roll20 waters for a while now. I came from IRC land, where the main (okay, only) advantage was my IRC client's very nice log controls and maintenance. Is there a way on Roll20, perhaps at the subscription level, to auto download/save logs every session? Edit to add corollary question: Does letting the logs accumulate lag the server? Should I routinely be trimming those for performance concerns? Second question, is there a way to schedule a game on a recurring basis? So far I have to manually schedule every week, which I don't always remember to do. Thanks, Longspeak.
I have no mic. can i still play games with voice chat only?
1500419006
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jaxon P. said: I have no mic. can i still play games with voice chat only? That is totally up to the GM about allowing someone to play with no mic. I run text only so no mic is no bother for my games.
thanks. im new so i appreciate the help
Hi. I'm just setting up a campaign and i have the PHYSICAL copy of the lost mines. Is there a way to put it up so the players can see it, or do i have to rebuy it?
1500422656
Pat S.
Pro
Sheet Author
You will have to scan your maps, create tokens, etc... Do all the work yourself or buy it in the marketplace and have all the work done for you. Many GMs still do all the work themselves as they tend to change things to fit their games.
1500470906
I haven't used roll20 for a couple of years and just came back.  I bought Sunless Citadel to run with my nephews remotely, and am testing things out to make sure I still know how it all works.  Apparently I don't.  I am logged in as DM in Chrome, and then logged in as a player in Firefox (on a 2nd account).  I created a character, added an icon and assigned it to the character, and assigned the character to the Firefox player.  From Firefox that seems to be the case.  The icon is on the starting area of the game map. The problem is that in the player view everything is all black.  I can switch to the title page and the Firefox player sees that, but when I switch back to the starting map it goes black.  I gave the icon a light radius, checked "visible to all players", and first erased an area of Fog of War and then disabled Fog of War completely.  Still all black.   Am I missing a "start the game" button or something?
1500471084

Edited 1500471252
Make sure the player token has "Has Sight" checked. And be sure the player token is on the Token/Object layer. Also try zooming out the map in the player view; the player view defaults to the upper left portion of the map, not necessarily where their token is.
1500475838
Rabulias said: Make sure the player token has "Has Sight" checked.  Grrrr....that solved it.  Thanks!   Since it started off unchecked I assumed it was some kind of option.
I'm new here and struggle to navigate around on the forum and understanding everything. I do not mind playing an already made up character on a "new-player friendly" server just to see how it is. Possible to arrange games for beginners like this? I've tried to apply for a few upcoming games but I'm afraid to disappoint.
1500538484
Ziechael
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi and welcome to Roll20 Sofie, make sure you read through the  OP and heed it's advice and then simply continue what you are doing. Applying for games and being enthusiastic :) Most DMs are happy to have new people so the only way to disappoint is to be the type of player that no one wants; disengaged, disruptive and unwilling to learn/be part of a team. Avoid those things and you'll do fine. I always preach the virtue of patience however as there are many more players than DMs so it may take a while to find a group and even longer to find the perfect group but it'll be worth the wait!
Not sure if this should go here or in specific, but I'll try here first: On my character sheet for a Pathfinder game I have an attack for a Longsword. The longsword has frost, and I do precision damage, so I went to extra non-crit damage and added 1d6 Cold 1d6 precision (with double brackets around the 1d6 in both cases). I have an iterative attack, so I clicked the check box for that on the sheet. Everything works great, except on the iterative attack, it does not re-roll the cold and precision damage, it just reuses the same numbers from the primary attack. I've tested this probably for 50 rolls I'm certain it's not just an odd coincidence. I'm not good at macros at all, so step by step would be really helpful.
1500604524
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian H. said: Not sure if this should go here or in specific, but I'll try here first: On my character sheet for a Pathfinder game I have an attack for a Longsword. The longsword has frost, and I do precision damage, so I went to extra non-crit damage and added 1d6 Cold 1d6 precision (with double brackets around the 1d6 in both cases). I have an iterative attack, so I clicked the check box for that on the sheet. Everything works great, except on the iterative attack, it does not re-roll the cold and precision damage, it just reuses the same numbers from the primary attack. I've tested this probably for 50 rolls I'm certain it's not just an odd coincidence. I'm not good at macros at all, so step by step would be really helpful. It sounds like you're doing it correctly Brian. Here's an example of it working...  Is this similar to how you have your attack set up?  Does this happen on a new character or just the one?  Thanks
My biggest wonder, most of all, is how long can I expect to be playing a certain game at a time? Can I make a move in a game and then leave and come back? Do I have to stand around and complete the game through? I generally don't like to stand at a desk for long periods of time, so that might complicate things if it's the latter. Also, how do you upload and sell pieces? I don't have any at the moment, but maybe sometime in the future I might consider trying my hand at it. I'm a fair spriter when I put my mind to it.
1500640178
Ziechael
Roll20 Mod Team
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Benny, there are certainly many ways to play using Roll20. Most sessions will run for 2-4 hours but could be more, however there are often opportunities for asynchronous play which allows for play by post style gaming. As for marketplace contributions, check out the  wiki for information.
Vince said: It sounds like you're doing it correctly Brian. Here's an example of it working...  Is this similar to how you have your attack set up?  Does this happen on a new character or just the one?  Thanks- Vince - I was doing it wrong. I actually had the boxes switched. I was putting 1d6 cold in the Type box and I just put Melee in the box I should have had the damage in. Switched those around and everything's gravy. Thanks for the help.