Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 (Q1Y2020)

1606246335
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
I will take a look at this right away, Scott.
Hello! I have been exploring the new Sidekick rules and noticed that the NPC charactersheets do not have a modifiable crit range. This is a problem as the Warrior sidekick modifies the crit range of whatever monster you chose to be a sidekick.  I would use the character sheet, but the way the sidekick system works is it builds up off of an existing CR 1/2 creature from the Monster Manual (or book your game is in). It relies on the stats, equipment, and abilities of whatever you selected. Most of which don't translate well to a character sheet or have drag/drop functionality.  Adding more functionality to the NPC sheet to better synchronize with the Sidekick system would be lovely. 
1606249168

Edited 1606249256
Because it eliminates the ability to use the Variant Encumbrance rules (PHB p. 176). Under the current system, you can turn on the Variant Encumbrance rules and you can be unencumbered, "encumbered", "heavily encumbered" and "immobile". What the new system will do, if I'm understanding it correctly, is eliminate the distinction between "encumbered" and "heavily encumbered". The variant encumbrance rules imposes different penalties for "encumbered" and "heavily encumbered" and, in certain modules like "Tomb of Annihilation" (my current game) that distinction can make a difference, as can various other rules that play into it. Roll20 currently supports the Variant Encumbrance rules.  The new inventory removes that support. While I like the new layout, and the ability to mark what's equipped and what's not, I object to removing support for the Variant Encumbrance rules. Miguel said: Saul J , I am not sure I got what you meant. Encumbrance will work the same way it did before the update. The update just improves the graphic layout of the pane by freeing up more space for the item names and by moving the equipped toggle outside of the small icon. How does that affect you negatively?
1606250155
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I am seeing proper layout on both Chrome and Firefox. FWIW, my checkboxes are blue on both browsers, unlike the Firefox shot above, but I don't know if those elements are pulled from the Browser or the OS. Scott, Have you tried looking at the FF display in a Private Browsing window, just in case an extension is interfering?
1606250232
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, Miguel: Thank you!!! This is so much more usable and easy to read. You continue to amaze me with your swift turnaround and willingness to turn our wishes into reality.
1606250529

Edited 1606250709
Saul J. said: Because it eliminates the ability to use the Variant Encumbrance rules (PHB p. 176). Under the current system, you can turn on the Variant Encumbrance rules and you can be unencumbered, "encumbered", "heavily encumbered" and "immobile". What the new system will do, if I'm understanding it correctly, is eliminate the distinction between "encumbered" and "heavily encumbered". This option still seems in place on the character sheet. The toggle is still on the settings tab, and the calculations correctly adjust for using advanced (5xSTR for encumbered, 10xSTR heavily encumbered) or standard. Screenshots attached with variant turned on and showing encumbered and heavily encumbered. I'm pretty sure this update is cosmetic only (where your encumbrance appears on the sheet) as opposed to changing any function of it.
1606251185
Ok, that was not clear and when I asked the question, Miguel seemed to say (and I apologize if I misinterpreted it) that the first go would not support the variant rules and that would be added later as they add enhancements. I haven't logged in yet (my game isn't until tonight) so I haven't checked any of the character sheets to see how it actually looks.  So, if everything is working as before and only the layout has changed, then I withdraw any objection I had (because I do like the new layout) and thanks to Loren the GM for clarifying, and thanks to Miguel  for his support. Loren the GM said: Saul J. said: Because it eliminates the ability to use the Variant Encumbrance rules (PHB p. 176). Under the current system, you can turn on the Variant Encumbrance rules and you can be unencumbered, "encumbered", "heavily encumbered" and "immobile". What the new system will do, if I'm understanding it correctly, is eliminate the distinction between "encumbered" and "heavily encumbered". This option still seems in place on the character sheet. The toggle is still on the settings tab, and the calculations correctly adjust for using advanced (5xSTR for encumbered, 10xSTR heavily encumbered) or standard. Screenshots attached with variant turned on and showing encumbered and heavily encumbered. I'm pretty sure this update is cosmetic only (where your encumbrance appears on the sheet) as opposed to changing any function of it.
1606252314

Edited 1606252611
Keith, I started to mess around with my extensions and Private Mode, and it began to work correctly, even after I turned the extensions back on. Either I fixed it somehow or Miguel is working hard behind the scenes! Edit: Though as an interesting note, I get the blue checkboxes on Chrome (no extensions) but the gray boxes on Firefox (also with no extensions). Unimportant overall but strange.
1606254468
Ok, I've now seen the new inventory list.  it looks ok... although my players may have more to say when we play tonight.  However, one thing I did notice, if you look in the picture below, the weight seems to be carried out to a lot of decimal places.  Can I suggest that it get rounded to 2 places or maybe 3 at most?
1606254519
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
We released a hotfix for it after you pointed it out, Scott Y ;) I will take a look at this cosmetic diff between Firefox and Chrome, I believe this is about the browser default appearance for checkboxes that may need to be overwritten. Saul J., please forgive my poor explanation. The feature for encumbrance has not suffered any changes, all the toggles, labels for both the default and optional rules, are still in place. No damage will be done to your game ;) Happy gaming folks! 
Thanks so much for your hard work, Miguel! (and other roll20 people working behind the scenes!) Hope y'all get to take some time off this week. :)
I am really loving the new layout for the equipment. It is so much clearer to check what is equipped at a glance. Kudos to the people that suggested it, implemented it and are working hard to fix any and all bugs to it! Thank you to each and every one of you wonderful people!!!
The inventory doesn't display correctly for me in Firefox on Linux.  The weight column is wrapped onto a new line.  Vivaldi (chrome based) on Linux looks OK though.
The location update for coinage is much appreciated and is a much better use of space! However the box labels and iconography are small and appear washed out and difficult to read... could this be improved further?
1606315007

Edited 1606315140
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Thanks for reporting it, Alan . We will get that fixed. Von Viniga, we will make some improvements to that bit on the next build.
I tried Firefox on Windows and it was fine.  It's only Firefox on Linux that has the problem.  I suspect its due to the different fonts?
Miguel said: Thanks for reporting it, Alan . We will get that fixed. Von Viniga, we will make some improvements to that bit on the next build. Great stuff, looking forward to it!
1606369044

Edited 1606369147
Two character sheets in a game that I help run have also run into the strange decimal bug Saul J. reported above:
1606389690
Falk
Plus
Will there be an option to not count the weight of unequipped item into the Total Weight (like for things in a Bag of Holding), or do we have to use the workaround with letters before the weight (which caused the strange decimal point in my characters total weight)? Also, as so many subclasses have been fully supported, why does the Champion not get his Remarkable Athlete? I know there are workarounds there, but then you can also say you don't need Jack of All trades, or the Expertise, or the Combat Maneuvres, as you create work arounds for all of them.
1606394042
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Hey folks, just dropping by to keep you in the loop: Washed up labels got some love; Total weight will only display up to two decimal cases; Fixed broken layout on Linux/Firefox; Added an option to ignore the weight on non-equipped items  This should go live on the next build. Click below to play it:
1606417971

Edited 1606417986
This may be the wrong place to post this but the thread is labeled for the current 5e Character Sheet. When I create a Character using the Charactermancer and I choose other for language it gives me the opportunity to enter this other language however it does not show up on the character sheet. Am I missing something?
1606488689

Edited 1606488832
Miguel said: Hey folks, just dropping by to keep you in the loop: Fixed broken layout on Linux/Firefox     I'm assuming this hasn't gone live yet, because it's still broken on my end. I have the exact same weight-is-on-a-new-line bug reported by Alan. Yes, I use Firefox. (OS is Windows 10.)
Oh, also... is this the right place to talk about the Charactermancer feature? Because I really, really need the following to be fixed in Charactermancer: Custom background items, and custom subclasses. Right now, when you use Charactermancer and have a custom background, you don't have the option of defining what items that background starts with. Doubly so for custom subclasses- when leveling up, you can't define what your subclass gets, or even that you're *using* a custom subclass. (Which, when you don't have a subscription and thus can only pull from the SRD, kinda means you're forced into the 'default' subclass, i.e. Champion Fighter, but I assume the same problem exists for subscription members where they can't use homebrew subclasses.) This makes Charactermancer kinda tedious when generating a level 1 character, as I need to go in after the fact and add all of the things that the background gives inventory-wise, and for most characters Charactermancer leveling up is nigh unusable unless I'm okay with going in and manually swapping out the subclass features that get auto-filled. Which, isn't that exactly what Charactermancer is supposed to let you avoid?
1606493732

Edited 1606494137
Hello everybody, Just wanted to drop 3 things: 1) I like the new layout. It's just better from a design point of view imo, well done ! One think I'd throw in though is that information like total-weight and if you're encumbered seems to be better to have at the top of the list, as that is information you're more likely to want to have at a glance without requiring to scroll down a very long inventory list, if you're one of those kinds of people. 2) I confirm again the firefox layout problem that Scott Y first mentioned - Was for Linux/Firefox 83.0 on a Lenovo T440p. Though as far as I can see that seems to be fixed once the next rollout comes at some point, which I assume will be some time in December. 3) I would like to note a second layout problem on Linux/Firefox 83.0 - Secondary resources on the right hand side of the character sheet. For some reason, the resource name is pushed below the bottom border, pushing it out of the visible area of the resource (though it's still there by a hair's breadth) Below is what it looks like on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04)/Firefox 83.0: Below is what it looks like on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) / Google Chrome 87.0.4280.66 This worked originally as I know I didn't have this issue before like two or so years back. has been an issue for at least half a year now, I really don't recall the exact timeframe. Definitely not caused by the last update though, this issue is way older.
I'm not sure if it's happening with everyone, but the dnd 5e sheets are having a bit of an issue. The + and lock buttons cannot be clicked, and it's very annoying. It only started recently, so I'm wondering if an update caused the bug.
1606603186
I was just editing sheets in my game and I had no problems.  Kirik Stareyes said: I'm not sure if it's happening with everyone, but the dnd 5e sheets are having a bit of an issue. The + and lock buttons cannot be clicked, and it's very annoying. It only started recently, so I'm wondering if an update caused the bug.
Kirik Stareyes said: I'm not sure if it's happening with everyone, but the dnd 5e sheets are having a bit of an issue. The + and lock buttons cannot be clicked, and it's very annoying. It only started recently, so I'm wondering if an update caused the bug. What browser are you using & what version? do you have any browser plugins running?
1606633308

Edited 1606633334
Ran into a bug while helping one of my players create a character today. The bug altered values for an equipped weapon after selection of a global damage modifier. After the fourth or fifth instance of selecting any global damage modifier, two values were set to their default, and a third was set to just the first character in the field. I'm currently on Google Chrome v 87.0.4280.66 on Windows 10. JavaScript is enabled, I have Avira anti-virus, and I have Adblocker and Ad Block plus enabled as chrome extensions. Before After
1606634773
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kirik Stareyes said: I'm not sure if it's happening with everyone, but the dnd 5e sheets are having a bit of an issue. The + and lock buttons cannot be clicked, and it's very annoying. It only started recently, so I'm wondering if an update caused the bug. Most likely cause of this is opening the sheet into an external window. Certain operations involving drag and drop (including list reordering) do not work in a popped out window. Try changing the default behavior in the settings tab and try again with the sheet still engaged. If this does fix the issue, you can get some of the same benefit of popping out a window by minimizing it instead (double click on the title bar).
I have an accessibility concern with the sheet. The last time I used the sheet my screen reader was able to interact with the buttons to modify and add repeating sections to the sheet. Now they don't seem to appear for my assistive technology at all. This makes editing my sheet almost impossible.
1606670784
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Somethings were indeed recently changed, but just to eliminate a common problem with repeating sections, were you trying to edit the section with the sheet popped out into its own window? For a variety of technical reasons, that does not work. Do you still have the accessibility issue with the window engaged?
1606680138
Is there a way to add temporary hp to current hp and reference them in a token bar? Right now we are just adding the temp hps gained to the hp bar but the sheet has a temporary hp field that could be utilized, maybe.
Doug E. said: Is there a way to add temporary hp to current hp and reference them in a token bar? Right now we are just adding the temp hps gained to the hp bar but the sheet has a temporary hp field that could be utilized, maybe. OPTION 2: You could probably create an attribute on each character sheet that basically equates as TOTAL_HP = Temp HP (@{charactername|hp_temp}) + Current HP (@{charactername|hp}) And then Reference TOTAL_HP as your bubble.  You would probably, in the same attribute, wish to set TOTAL HP max (@{charactername|hp|max}) value to be the same as the HP max value, so you get a red bar with a + in it when over maximum.  However, I have tried to do this several times and each time it comes away from the attribute fields clearing the reference and leaving me with 0 in the result. TOTAL_HP = " [[@{charactername|hp_temp}+@{charactername|hp}]] " | " @{charactername|hp|max} " -yields- TOTAL_HP = " 0 " | " @{charactername|hp|max} " when leaving the 'current' field OPTION 2: You could always just use the third bubble as a Temp HP reference.
1606698998

Edited 1606699360
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Doug E. said: Is there a way to add temporary hp to current hp and reference them in a token bar? Right now we are just adding the temp hps gained to the hp bar but the sheet has a temporary hp field that could be utilized, maybe. The Aaron has written a script for this. It records temp HP, and if you adjust the main HP via the bubbles, it deducts from the temp HP first. It displays the temp HP as a token marker dot, and if the value is 9 or less, puts the number on the dot. Here is one version , though I believe he has updated it. You will have to edit the first lines for the proper sheet. I can't remember if that is for shaped or the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet. EDIT: I think this is more recent . I'd post my personal version, but it uses the token markers I designed for the marketplace. This one should work out of the box.
1606699628
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
BTW, Miguel, the new layout for equipment seems to have a display issue if the simple equipment option is chosen. Actual post is here , but I am cross posting into this thread. Adrian J.  said: First time posting in here, so sorry if I'm in the wrong spot. I and several members of my group are having this issue where our inventory is misaligned. It's only happening for those of us who use the simple version. This started happening within the last week or two. Is anyone else having this issue?
1606747449

Edited 1606754746
Hi everyone, Is there an option to put the weight (and the calculation of the Encumbrance) in kgs and not pounds please ? An option in the "parameters of the sheet" or something... ?
1606755322
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Interesting. How would that work? The weights in the compendium are all in pounds, so I would think they would need conversion as well. Do foreign language editions of the rules use the metric system for encumbrance?
Would like to ask if it's possible to turn off/remove the "Target" category on the 5e Sheet for Spell Descriptions... They're not an official part of the actual spell descriptions in the 5e books and I find I get player arguments about them that stem from people seeing them in Roll20 and assuming they're actually part of the official rules, when they're something Roll20 has added in for ease of reference. It's become a point of friction with some of the latest set of published spells for the newest sourcebook.
1606762061
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
crazncanuck said: Would like to ask if it's possible to turn off/remove the "Target" category on the 5e Sheet for Spell Descriptions... They're not an official part of the actual spell descriptions in the 5e books and I find I get player arguments about them that stem from people seeing them in Roll20 and assuming they're actually part of the official rules, when they're something Roll20 has added in for ease of reference. It's become a point of friction with some of the latest set of published spells for the newest sourcebook. While I can see an option to turn it off on an individual basis, it has a lot of use and the info is drawn from the spell description. I would not like to see it disappear altogether. I'm guessing this has something to do with the recent errata to Booming Blade?
1606765714
Can you please explain what you mean? As far as I can tell, nothing really changed about the spells Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade except that the changes make it clear that the spells can't be used with conjured weapons like Shadow Blade or blades conjured by warlocks with the Pact of the Blade feature. As far as I can see, nothing else changed except some tightening of wording. keithcurtis said: While I can see an option to turn it off on an individual basis, it has a lot of use and the info is drawn from the spell description. I would not like to see it disappear altogether. I'm guessing this has something to do with the recent errata to Booming Blade?
1606768895

Edited 1606768938
keithcurtis said: Interesting. How would that work? The weights in the compendium are all in pounds, so I would think they would need conversion as well. Do foreign language editions of the rules use the metric system for encumbrance? Sure ! And meters instead of feet, kms instead of miles, etc ^^ About the compendium, I ear your point (but it's still weird only english is available for the books we buy, or for the SRD) but at least when player write themselves the items (as most do, especially in other languages than american), they put the weight in the unit they want... Maybe an easier way could be making the rule for "encumbrance" somewhere editable on the sheet : STR x 5 for american, STR x 2,5 for most of the other countries over the world... Do you think it could be a possibility ?
1606778381
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not my call, but I would note that unless WotC's rule system supports the conversion, it might be difficult to make a case for it. Good luck.
1606778692
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: Can you please explain what you mean? As far as I can tell, nothing really changed about the spells Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade except that the changes make it clear that the spells can't be used with conjured weapons like Shadow Blade or blades conjured by warlocks with the Pact of the Blade feature. As far as I can see, nothing else changed except some tightening of wording. keithcurtis said: While I can see an option to turn it off on an individual basis, it has a lot of use and the info is drawn from the spell description. I would not like to see it disappear altogether. I'm guessing this has something to do with the recent errata to Booming Blade? The forums aren't supposed to be used for rules discussions, of course, but I think it can be bent enough to post a link to an official podcast on the subject, in the interest of making sure the sheet is serving its purpose. Jeremy Crawford talks about targeting changes in general and I believe Booming Blade in specific here . There is talk on the internet of this being a nerf to the spell.
1606796507

Edited 1606796646
Apologies if either of these have already been brought up, but I went back a few pages and didn't see them posted since the 10th, and didn't see it in the 4.1 bugs in the first post: Report Issue Sheet Issues Template Class(es) /  Subclass : Monk / Way of the Drunken Master Description of issue :  Adding a magical weapon to the character sheet's "Equipment" section, via drag and drop from the compendium, does not update the "Attacks & Spellcasting" section properly. Case 1: Dragging a "Quarterstaff" to the character sheet adds 2 attacks - a 1-handed and a 2-handed quarterstaff attack. It automatically uses DEX as the attack ability. (See first screenshot below.) Case 2: Dragging a "Quarterstaff +1" to the character sheet adds 1 attack - a 1-handed attack (not identified as such). It uses STR as the attack ability. (See second screenshot below.) I can manually add or update the attacks, but if it works for the normal Quarterstaff, it seems unintuitive that it doesn't work for the +1 version. Also, the +1 staff accounts for the +1 to hit, but does not seem to incorporate the +1 bonus to damage. (See third screenshot below for configuration of both the mundane and +1 staves.) Screenshots: Mancer Issues Template Class(es) : Monk Subclass : Way of the Drunken Master Race : Standard Human Level(s) : 10 Description of issue :  HP is not updating correctly when using the leveling function if you attempt to level multiple times at once. The last level in the sequence is not included in the average HP totals. Steps to reproduce: 1.) Launch Level+ Charactermancer 2.) Click "next" to go to "LEVELS" header 3.) Add multiple levels to the target level field, and then hit enter/click outside of the entry box. (Note: you MUST add multiple levels at once. If you increment by a single level at a time, the HP updates as expected.) 4.) Expand the HP totals section, the final level will have no value where the average should be.
Hi! As a user of simple inventory, I really don't like the new layout. The text field is crammed to the left, eating the border and not taking full width. When can we expect a fix for that?
1606830443

Edited 1606830827
I'm in the Settings>Game Settings, trying to change settings in the Character Sheet Settings part of the form. The checkboxes don't retain their value when saved. After I select ADD DEX TIEBREAKER TO INITIATIVE or other checkboxes in the form and click Save , the checkboxes revert to unchecked. This occurs in Firefox or Chrome (latest versions). Drop-down menus seem unaffected. Also in Settings>Game Settings , when I change settings in Game Default Settings and click Save Defaults I receive a browser prompt asking if I want to leave the page. The changes only save if I click Leave Page , but the prompt probably shouldn't appear at all.
1606835693
Yeah, I've seen that video.  And it's really, as I said, a tightening of words and not really a change, per se, especially since that's the way I've played it and ruled as a DM.  And I still don't see how it affects, or would affect, the Roll20 Official 5E sheet except maybe to change the wording of the spell to be consistent with the new wording. keithcurtis said: Saul J. said: Can you please explain what you mean? As far as I can tell, nothing really changed about the spells Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade except that the changes make it clear that the spells can't be used with conjured weapons like Shadow Blade or blades conjured by warlocks with the Pact of the Blade feature. As far as I can see, nothing else changed except some tightening of wording. keithcurtis said: While I can see an option to turn it off on an individual basis, it has a lot of use and the info is drawn from the spell description. I would not like to see it disappear altogether. I'm guessing this has something to do with the recent errata to Booming Blade? The forums aren't supposed to be used for rules discussions, of course, but I think it can be bent enough to post a link to an official podcast on the subject, in the interest of making sure the sheet is serving its purpose. Jeremy Crawford talks about targeting changes in general and I believe Booming Blade in specific here . There is talk on the internet of this being a nerf to the spell.
1606850021
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Saul, Sorry, I thought that might be part of the "source of friction" you mentioned. What about the field is causing an issue with your group, then?
1606858334
I think you might be confusing me for someone else.  I don't have a source of friction about the SCAG changes.  Unless you're speaking about something else? I was just trying to figure out why these changes are seen as necessitating a change to the 5E sheet and I just don't see it. keithcurtis said: Hi Saul, Sorry, I thought that might be part of the "source of friction" you mentioned. What about the field is causing an issue with your group, then?