Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

Edited 1646317615
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hi there! Welcome to the last formal consolidated thread for Dynamic Lighting; with this new thread we want to mark the introduction of a new tool for everyone: The Dynamic Lighting Portal ! This portal is intended to be the single source of truth on known bugs and planned improvements for Dynamic Lighting going forward. The Portal will be kept up to date with known bugs and updates in the works as part of our efforts to make this process more accessible. You will find that you can submit ideas (top right), comment on existing elements, and share your perspective on the importance of a bug or improvement. We encourage everyone to continue reporting new bugs so we can ensure the portal is current and accurate. The Product Portal While we now have the portal, we would still like to hear from you here as well! If you are experiencing a bug previously marked as fixed, a new one, or we are missing one in the portal, please let us know! Below outlines information that will help in reproduction of the bug on our end so we can properly log the bug: Console log: Here you can find instructions for providing a console log in Chrome and Firefox. Link to game:  The URL when you're looking at your Game Details page. Don’t post this publicly! Screenshots/screen recordings: List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled: Reproduction steps:  Additionally, please feel free to contact us at Roll20.net/help to submit a bug report (please include the above information).
Anyone know the status of Control-L on UDL? I checked the portal and couldn't find a note for it.
Hey there! Could you elaborate on the specific issue you are running into? If it relates to selecting the address bar it is important that a token is selected before you hit Ctrl/Cmd+L. Since it is a browser shortcut the VTT lets that pass through if no token is selected. TheWebCoder said: Anyone know the status of Control-L on UDL? I checked the portal and couldn't find a note for it.
The Summer Camp event turned on Dynamic Lighting for all of the maps in DMM. It reset all the Fog of War I had previously. Extremely frustrating to go through 20+ maps and reset all the explored areas. Next time you guys push a big update like this, make it opt in please.
Hey Peter, Apologies about that, I'll bring that feedback to the rest of the team. Appreciate your patience with us.

Edited 1626694731
I've come across a pretty strange bug, though I'm not sure what the exact cause is. I've got a simple dungeon that I've been trying to add DL to. The DL layer looks like this: First, there is a weird diagonal line across the screen that is blocking vision for any of the players. This is clearer when looking at it from the players POV: What is even stranger, is when the player crosses that line, then any DL on that side of the map fails completely, and (on either side of the line) any new lines I add to the DL layer do nothing: There are a bunch of errors in the console (I've hidden the info and warnings, but I can post if needed). I've tried duplicating the map, resetting the perm and explorable darkness, enabling and disabling the DL on the map, removing and re-adding all the tokens. None of that did anything. So after that, I started from scratch and remade the whole map and redid all the DL lines. This time I had exactly the same problem, except now I had multiple diagonals this was happening across, and they are in different places:  I've given up doing DL on this map for now. Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, thanks. Edit: Some more details: On the players side, I've tried on Firefox and chrome on Windows and the result is the same. On the editors side, the first map I built in Firefox on Windows, the second I built on Chrome. On Firefox I have a bunch of addons, on Chrome I have basically a clean install with just one addon which is my password manager (Bitwarden).  Let me know if you need any more details Edit2:  I've now remade the map again, but using the polygon instead of the freehand tool to make the DL lines, and it's working fine. So I suspect either the issue is with the freehand tool, or its to do with the fact that with the polygon tool I was able to do the whole map with one line whereas with the freehand tool I was forced to make multiple lines as I dragged around the page.
Hey Tomer, Glad you found the solution! You are on the right track with your reasoning-- the freehand drawing tool and circles both actually use a lot of small lines in order to achieve curves with the fidelity necessary to actually look like... well curves. In small amounts this increase in lines is not a big deal and isn't really noticeable. Where you start to run into issues is when you have maps with a lot of organic shapes (caves, cliffs, etc.) where the freehand tool is the obvious choice for majority of the map. When you have this many tiny lines you start to run into a limit on the amount of lines. When that limit is hit you will start noticing the behavior you described. For the time being, utilizing the polygon tool will alleviate this issue after removing chunks of the freehand or circle sections.
Also, I find using the polygon tool less fiddly. I don't follow every little nook and cranny for caverns. And using shift to snap to the grid vertices is the bees knees.
Having issues with the Daylight Mode. Turning it off seems to fix the Dynamic Lighting, but whenever it's enabled it defaults to just blank white. I just noticed this today, but it was fine on Sunday the 18th.   With Daylight Mode on: With Daylight Mode off:
I noticed tha same issue just now. The bug only occurs with Daylight Mode On. Luno said: Having issues with the Daylight Mode. Turning it off seems to fix the Dynamic Lighting, but whenever it's enabled it defaults to just blank white. I just noticed this today, but it was fine on Sunday the 18th.   With Daylight Mode on: With Daylight Mode off:

Edited 1626816064
This is a fairly specific issue - but with tokens emitting colored light, ones that have both bright and low can be brighter than ones that just have bright when viewed with nocturnal night vision. Those two light sources should look the same. Edit:  It isn't obvious that it would matter or come up much based on this particular simple example.  But this *is* important.  The whole purpose of nocturnal is to make it act like 5e nightvision so that you can tell if you have disadvantage on rolls or not.  Lights with different levels of brightness stacking weirdly make it hard to tell what sort of light you're in and make that mode less useful.
... and the white out for daylight is a problem here too.  We have been playing every weekend for quite some time now (since my last post) with no problems whatsoever, but this is awful.  Top pic is daylight on, DM view, token has normal vision, middle is daylight off, nocturnal vision token view and bottom is also daylight off but DM view. 
Hi there.  This is obviously a bug in the system as exactly the same thing is happening to our whole group. 
Hey everyone! We have been able to identify the issue and a fix will be coming soon.
I may have to cheer, cheers everyone, appreciate it

Edited 1626818244
I've noticed a really strange bug. Existing tokens with directional light emitting only bright light have converted to emitting darkness. Below, the two overlapping dark cones were originally overlapping bright light. I copied one of them and turned off directional light, resulting in a light source emitting a large circle of darkness (the selected token in the screenshot). Creating a new light source with directional light works fine. Other light sources do not illuminate the emitted darkness, but Night Vision does. EDIT: This seems to be happening when the light source emits only bright light. I turned off low light on the new light source and it started emitting only darkness. Directional light is not linked to this after all.

Edited 1626922015
Didn't see this listed. but i noticed a weird quirk with lighting. Using Chrome with NO extensions and NO apis When token emits light with no color, DM view appears normal. When token emits light WITH color, lightiing in DM view seems to get out of whack. Here are screenshots to show you: No Color:Light   Emitting:(Light  emitting but no color) With Colored Light Emitting:(Light  emitting with color) The view of tokens gets drowned out by the lightning without having Ctrl-L turned on.  Its as if i am seeing the one tokens light all the time. Is this normal? Or did I actually notice a bug? Thanks.

Edited 1626837449
I set up a bunch of Dynamic lighting content yesterday, but when I launched my campaign today all my dynamic lighting options were gone (on both tokens/objects and the page options) and none of what I had set up was functioning anymore. It's almost as if dynamic lighting was removed from my Roll20. Known issue? Never mind! Turns out I had access to dynamic lighting with a free account for a while and now I don't! Guess you got my money. haha
Used dynamic lighting tonight with colored lights, darkvision, explorer mode, and I dont think there was any lag or issues (first time in years).

Edited 1626871380
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Regarding the recent release " Changes via API aren't rendered immediately on change ": This appears to be partially working, but still appears to be bugged. Here is a link to my original description of the problem. Originally, a default token object with UDL light emission created via api script would not immediately emit light. If "wiggled", 360 light would be displayed. Then, if the token settings were opened and saved (without making changes), directional light would be honored.&nbsp;&nbsp; Behavior after the recent release: 1) Setup: token emits light in a 53deg cone, 30ft bright light, 30ft dim light 2) Drag from journal works fine (as always) 3) When creating an instance of the default token from api script, light now immediately shows up, but only the bright light , and directional values are still ignored &nbsp;(it emits in 360deg). 4) When opening the token settings of the script-generated token, the dim light value is displayed as 0 (despite token JSON settings to the contrary as shown at the end of this post). 5) After saving the token settings (without making changes), the directional light is finally honored, but there is no dim light (see step 4). Here is an animated gif showing the problem behavior in action (sorry it's a bit fast, I was trying to stay below the max file size) Here is the JSON of the default token: {"left":665,"top":525,"width":70,"height":70,"imgsrc":"<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450&quot;,&quot;page_id&quot;:&quot;-MeRCyY2RYB1P-cBiZYY&quot;,&quot;layer&quot;:&quot;objects&quot;,&quot;name&quot;:&quot;Bullseye" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450","page_id":"-MeRCyY2RYB1P-cBiZYY","layer":"objects","name":"Bullseye</a> Lantern","represents":"-McEoftjdiGx8ym3HIMe","bar1_num_permission":"hidden","bar2_num_permission":"hidden","bar3_num_permission":"hidden","bar_location":"overlap_bottom","compact_bar":"compact","lastmove":"665,665","emits_bright_light":true,"bright_light_distance":30,"has_directional_bright_light":true,"directional_bright_light_total":53.13,"emits_low_light":true,"has_directional_dim_light":true,"directional_dim_light_total":53.13,"dim_light_opacity":"0.75","low_light_distance":60,"light_ui":30} Here is the JSON of the script-generated token (note that the low_light_distance information was properly retrieved from the default token, it is just not getting copied to the physical token settings) {"_id":"-Mf7ujERcknmeUQDfOmQ","_pageid":"-MeRCyY2RYB1P-cBiZYY","left":385,"top":595,"width":70,"height":70,"rotation":0,"layer":"objects","isdrawing":false,"flipv":false,"fliph":false,"imgsrc":"<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450&quot;,&quot;name&quot;:&quot;Bullseye" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450","name":"Bullseye</a> Lantern","gmnotes":"","controlledby":"","bar1_value":"","bar1_max":"","bar1_link":"","bar2_value":"","bar2_max":"","bar2_link":"","bar3_value":"","bar3_max":"","bar3_link":"","represents":"-McEoftjdiGx8ym3HIMe","aura1_radius":"","aura1_color":"#FFFF99","aura1_square":false,"aura2_radius":"","aura2_color":"#59E594","aura2_square":false,"tint_color":"transparent","statusmarkers":"","showname":false,"showplayers_name":false,"showplayers_bar1":false,"showplayers_bar2":false,"showplayers_bar3":false,"showplayers_aura1":false,"showplayers_aura2":false,"playersedit_name":true,"playersedit_bar1":true,"playersedit_bar2":true,"playersedit_bar3":true,"playersedit_aura1":true,"playersedit_aura2":true,"light_radius":"","light_dimradius":"","light_otherplayers":false,"light_hassight":false,"light_angle":"","light_losangle":"","light_multiplier":1,"adv_fow_view_distance":"","sides":"","currentSide":0,"lastmove":"665,665","_type":"graphic","_subtype":"token","_cardid":"","has_bright_light_vision":false,"has_night_vision":false,"night_vision_tint":null,"night_vision_distance":0,"emits_bright_light":true,"bright_light_distance":30, "emits_low_light":true,"low_light_distance":60 ,"has_limit_field_of_vision":false,"limit_field_of_vision_center":0,"limit_field_of_vision_total":0,"has_limit_field_of_night_vision":false,"limit_field_of_night_vision_center":0,"limit_field_of_night_vision_total":0,"has_directional_bright_light":true,"directional_bright_light_total":53.13,"directional_bright_light_center":0,"has_directional_low_light":false,"directional_low_light_total":0,"directional_low_light_center":0,"light_sensitivity_multiplier":100,"night_vision_effect":null,"dim_light_opacity":"0.75","bar_location":"overlap_bottom","compact_bar":"compact","lightColor":"transparent"}
Using Firefox 89.0.2, checking out the colored lights feature, noticed weird issues with overlaps. Two lights on a page (5 ft bright, 5 ft dim), one to right has a green tint. Everything cool so far: Now moving them closer together, area of overlap goes haywire: Moving the token into the area of overlap, there are speckles of that purple color on token and nameplate (hard to see on this jpg due to the lossy blurring, much more pronounced in-game). Also, I gave the token a yellow aura and it is partially obscured:
Hey Persephone ! That is certainly an odd one! Can you provide the name of the game where you are seeing this so we can take a closer look? This is not something I have been able to reproduce. Does this persist when disabling extensions? Aardwulf , this is an odd one as well. Can you also provide the name of the game where you are seeing this? On my end I have not been able to reproduce the effect -- following the steps you outline I end up with the following:
FYI, this is listed as fixed and it is not. <a href="https://portal.productboard.com/glhhkt5gktckwgueetswamfw/c/88-problems-updating-dim-light-settings-fixed?utm_medium=social&amp;utm_source=portal_share" rel="nofollow">https://portal.productboard.com/glhhkt5gktckwgueetswamfw/c/88-problems-updating-dim-light-settings-fixed?utm_medium=social&amp;utm_source=portal_share</a> If you turn off bright light while a value is set, you get issues if you subsequently adjust the low light value.
I have the same issue like Aardwulf. If i give the light source a yellow color i become this result.

Edited 1626970556
Drespar said: Aardwulf , this is an odd one as well. Can you also provide the name of the game where you are seeing this? On my end I have not been able to reproduce the effect -- following the steps you outline I end up with the following: Hi Drespar, The game is "Dark Age Copy." I have a page set up called "Light Test" that exhibits the behavior in question. (Edit: At least, in the DM view.)
hey quick question i just got back on one of my campaigns and the Dynamic Lighting that i had set up is all gone i dont even see a option for it anymore. when i was on here last week they gave us the Dynamic Lighting for free is that just gone now or is it down?
toby w. said: hey quick question i just got back on one of my campaigns and the Dynamic Lighting that i had set up is all gone i dont even see a option for it anymore. when i was on here last week they gave us the Dynamic Lighting for free is that just gone now or is it down? It was limited time (for free…)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It was a promo week to showcase the system.
Hey all! I have some answers (and a number of questions) for some of the recent posts. Tomer P -- We have a fix on the way to help mitigate the amount of lines that freehand and circle tools generate! Currently the line tool &amp; polygon tool currently are the most reliable way to ensure all the Dynamic Lighting barriers you create are honored for maps that have a lot of walls until that fix is out. Persephone -- We're looking into the emitting darkness you mentioned, but as Miles said any further info you can give us would be awesome. Robpickles -- Hey, are you still experiencing this issue? It looks like it could be some of the color overlapping issue, but you say there’s only one light source or one tint on the page? Would you mind sending the game link via a PM or the Roll20 Help Center so we can make a copy of the game to investigate?&nbsp; Aardwulf -- We would love to know your setup, it seems to be the same driver issue that one of our devs has experienced with their Linux machine. Could you send more details via the Help Center ?&nbsp; Sean G -- Thanks for catching that! Some of it is fixed but some isn't, we’ll need to update the Product Board to reflect the related stuff still in the works.&nbsp; David M -- Thank you for the feedback! It’s been passed along, and it’s being looked into so we can ensure that directional light is being “listened for” as well when using API. Greissbart -- This looks like a driver issue... we would love to get some more information, would you be willing to send in a webgl report via the Help Center ? <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> Toby W -- yes, we unlocked Dynamic Lighting from July 9 to 19 for all users! All Plus and Pro subscribers should still have access to Dynamic Lighting, and any work you did with lighting during the free period should still be there (just not accessible for free users). The adventure is still free for everyone though, and the lighting tokens will always be free for subscribers. If I missed your question, please don't hesitate to ask again or expand on it if it's still an issue! And definitely take a look at the Product Board , we're reviewing all comments and suggestions that come in there.
players seem to be able to move through walls in the new dynamic lighting. Is there any additional setting to stop this?
McBeardly said: players seem to be able to move through walls in the new dynamic lighting. Is there any additional setting to stop this? Turn on "Dynamic Lighting Barriers Restrict Movement" in Page Details tab in Page Settings&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The setting is on the base tab because it is currently shared with Legacy DL.
Drespar said: Hey Persephone ! That is certainly an odd one! Can you provide the name of the game where you are seeing this so we can take a closer look? This is not something I have been able to reproduce. Does this persist when disabling extensions? I actually haven't been able to recreate this bug either since closing out that instance. I had set the lights to have low light on with 0 ft as a workaround (turning it off at the time resulted in the glitch again), but I've since turned low light back off on those light sources and no glitch. Not sure what's changed since then but looks like the issue is no more.
Bunny said: Greissbart -- This looks like a driver issue... we would love to get some more information, would you be willing to send in a webgl report via the Help Center ? <a href="https://webglreport.com/" rel="nofollow">https://webglreport.com/</a> The issue start, if i give a Torch the yellow light like in the wall down and a player use a torch with the same yellow light. If this two torch overlap, the tokens become the strange colors. The report i send already.
All 4 lights have 5ft of low light. The two redish ones are tinted red, the two whitish ones are untinted. The dinosaur has 20ft of untinted noctournal night vision. The blending on the overlap should be exactly the same on the top and the bottom - but it isn't. The only difference is that I placed the light on the left side before I placed the light on the right side in both cases.&nbsp; The order you place your light sources seems to affect the way they blend for noctournal vision. As an aside - night vision in general seems to handle colored lighting poorly.&nbsp; Here's that same area with night vision turned off: and with 20ft of night vision with the effect set to "none"

Edited 1627086355
Hi there, I cannot for the life of me work out what is going on here. The map is the second level of the Forge of Fury (The Glitterhame) but there seems to be two undeletable light sources. I've literally deleted everything from the map and then slow but surely narrowed down where the source is but no matter what layer I am on I can't seem to select the token or source that's creating the light. This could be just a huge and strange bug, but if not please help. Image with Map still there. Image with light source narrowed down.
I've noticed an issue that's in the Portal bug queue, but I wanted to share more information I realized here. I have a problem with the edges of my dynamic lighting being jagged - I use the Polygon tool to make a straight line on the dynamic lighting layer, but then in Player view the light 'stops' in a series of jagged spikes, clearly beyond where the line should be blocking. I tried to recreate this on my laptop to get screenshots and realized it's only happening on my crappy old tablet. I suspect this is a computer processor issue - the tablet (a Samsung Galaxy Tab from 2016) has less processing power, so the multiple layers aren't getting read correctly or something. Has anyone else experienced this?
Relating to what&nbsp; Persephone &nbsp;experienced I have encountered the token seeing emitting light as darkness. Turning the Dim light off the emitting light token does seem to fix the Black splotch. 've encoutned the Bug when using the TokenMod API and thought it had to do with something in the API and thus posted the issue&nbsp; Here &nbsp;on their forum page.&nbsp; Jarren K. &nbsp;was kind enough to offer advice about the matter, and suggested I post the Bug here about the API's calling and setting the UDL for a token is causing this bug.&nbsp; As I mentioned in TokenMod's Forum, it's easy enough to fix the issue by simply opening and closing the token settings on the token with the bug,I do not touch anything besides opening it and then clicking "Save Settings". Something about simply opening and close the token resets something with the UDL to allow everything to work as normal. Both Dream Bug's tokens were set up with TokenMod the only difference is I opened and closed the left Dream Bug's token settings.
I'm having token lag issues when I have only 3+ tokens with vision enabled (and none of them with DV further than 60'). Once the 3rd token is added, token dragging, editing, etc. becomes progressively more behind once more tokens are added.&nbsp; This isn't an issue I had before today - I've gone through the troubleshooting steps, as well as trying different browsers and in incognito mode.
Just to report I have been using dynamic lighting without problems until 2 days ago (around the last update I guess), but now I have been experiencing intense lag. I tried switching browsers but didn’t work. &nbsp; I have now resorted to disable dynamic and enabled legacy for the time begin, as otherwise its unplayable.
Glad to see I'm not the only one having these issues with dynamic lighting and lag. Changed to legacy for now and it seems to work fine
Alright, here with more updates! Griessbar t, thank you for getting a report in. Hopefully we can get that resolved for you. Grant C ., did you check just the map layer, or did you check the map, token, and DL layers? It looks like the light is on the DL layer, just with how it's interacting with everything else. Let us know if you were unable to find it. Kenna we put out a fix for jagged lines (which includes creating feathered shadows, they look so nice ), are you still seeing them? Nox it looks like tokenmod is only setting dim light and not bright light... would you mind confirming the exact reproduction steps for the problem? Sean G. your problem is (and I am quoting directly from a lead dev here) "weird, also pretty cool." We have the info we need that we should be able to reproduce on our end and create a bug ticket, thank you for that. Adam F., Rax, &amp; Thanasis T. thank you for the reports! We have a possible cause we're looking into mitigating so we can accommodate the various performance needs. Don't hesitate to send in console logs or Help Center requests with any information you think would be useful. I hope your weekend is full of many good rolls!

Edited 1627689298
Bunny said: Alright, here with more updates! Nox it looks like tokenmod is only setting dim light and not bright light... would you mind confirming the exact reproduction steps for the problem? I hope your weekend is full of many good rolls! Sure&nbsp; Step 1. I drag out a blank token connect to a character sheet Step 2. I Use the following Macro to call and set information about the token. !token-mod {{ --set&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;bar1|@{selected|hp|max} &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;bar2_value|@{selected|npc_ac} &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;bar3_value|[[10 + [[@{selected|npc_perception}]]]] &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;scale|?{Size?|Medium,1|Large,2|Huge,3|Gargantuan,4}u &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;has_bright_light_vision|true &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;has_night_vision|?{Darkvision?|Yes,on|No,off} &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;night_vision_distance|?{Other Vision|60} &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;night_vision_effect|dimming|?{Dim Start|0} --off showname&nbsp; }} Step 3. I Put "Yes its Has Darkvision", set the Night vision distance at 60 feet, and the Dimming Effect at 5 feet. Step 4. I use Control L to look through the tokens eyes and see the token is viewing Emitting bright light as Darkness. Step 5. I Open and close the token to fix the bug. Also Note using the Set Default Token Command (--set defaulttoken)&nbsp; in TokenMod causes any new tokens dragged out to have this same Bug. I've record a small video of the Issue, hopefully a Google Drive link is Fine ( UDL Error Video Link ). If you need the video in higher resolution let me know, just tried to keep it small. I've already recreated this issue in other games, and on other computers. I've also invited other people to view this bug to ensure it wasn't just a graphic issue on my end.&nbsp;
Please forgive me for not reading back through all of this, I suspect this may have already been reported, but better to put it in than not I suppose. Getting an absolutely wild color thing happening with multiple tokens set with tinted darkvision. It appears to only impact my GM view, if I view as a player via ctrl-L it looks as expected. Happens on multiple pages. All of the player tokens are set up the same way: If I move a token out of the group so the light isn't overlapping, it looks like what I'd expect to see (Trygve below):

Edited 1627710272
I also have the dynamic lighting "lag problem."&nbsp; The problem manifested itself last night after Roll20 went offline for a minute while I was making maps. I assume that's when the update was pushed to my client. When Roll20 came back online I started having the lag problem.&nbsp; However one interesting thing about this bug is it only lags when I am in the game as the GM. If I Ctrl+L a token to go into that token's view there is no lag at all. Doesn't matter if it's a player token or a npc, and doesn't matter if the token actually links to a character sheet. As soon as I Ctrl+L the lag goes away, and the lag returns as soon as I click anywhere on the map to go back to GM view. Re-joining the game as player also makes the lag go away. And like what others have already said, turning off Dynamic Lighting on the map also makes the lag go away. So I am guessing this bug has something to do with the GM's side.
Hi, I've been using DL for a while now without any problems, but for some reason its now lagging mine and all my players games to a complete halt no matter how simple i make it. And this isn't even that large of a dungeon. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
Thank you for the repro, Nox! I've passed that along. Matt Beck, I think that's part of a known issue with Night Vision tint overlapping (those screencaps look so cool out of context, I'm sorry that they likely don't come off nearly as cool during a game). I've made sure to put the feedback in with the others so we can double-check. Po-Wen, Dominic S, and any others with the recent lag issues: would you mind sending in a report via the Help Center after going through the troubleshooting? All the steps you should need are here: <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360045655014-Reporting-a-Bug" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360045655014-Reporting-a-Bug</a>
Mr.Dr.Butthurt
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Po-Wen, and Dominic S's issues im guessing are in the feathering of the dynamic lighting that was added 7/27. I just wrote a massive post about this but the forum said that this page didn't exist anymore so ill sum up my findings. Played a game on 7/21 and everything was working fine. Played 2 more games, one on 7/28 and 7/30 and had the lag issue. Played around with it and as Po said it only seems to be on the DM side because of the multi lines of sight the DM sees. if you delete all the tokens to only have 1 viewing light the lag seems to be non existent. Lights on the dynamic light layer don't seem to effect this, only vision on the token layer. I also tried the legacy settings and that seemed to fix the issue as well. Tried on multiple size maps with multiple amounts of dynamic lighting geo. All signs point to users who see more that two instances of a token trying to use vision on the token layer. Currently using no outside API and only using base R20 so nothing from the outside is messing with it, seems to be a core R20 issue.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Mr.Dr.Butthurt said: I just wrote a massive post about this but the forum said that this page didn't exist anymore so ill sum up my findings.. Just in case it helps, this sounds like a bug I encounter with the forum software when using copy/paste to add images. If you are adding images to a post, you need to use the image button (second from last button on the tools above the edit window) to either upload an image from your computer or link an image from a URL.