Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

A.J. Falcon
Pro
Marketplace Creator
If we get a resolution on the Dynamic Lighting lag, I'd love to know about it. Right now I am forced to use Legacy Lighting, or the game can't be ran. As others have said, its seems to be on the GM side only, players aren't experiencing the lag, and I have a modern computer. Also logging in as a player solves the issue, and turning UDL off does as well. Thanks Roll20, the sites been my place of choice for 5 years now. 

Edited 1627852775
You guys have finally fixed enough stuff that I get to find the weird bugs now! Steps to cause Explorer Mode to reset (using Edge, minimal plugins): 1) Create new game - call it Bug Test 2) Open Game Settings 3) Under Default Game Settings > Page Details > Page Defaults > Page Size, change Width to 26 4) Save Defaults, Launch Game 5) Edit Page Settings for "Start", turn on Dynamic Lighting and Explorer Mode 6) Drop a token on the page.  Edit the token to be controlled by you.  Turn on vision and night vision. 7) Move token around so that some of the map is explored. 8) Hit "Create New Page" 9) Click anywhere on the map on the Start Page. The explored area on the start page is now reset.  This does not happen if new maps default to 25x25.
A.J. Falcon said: If we get a resolution on the Dynamic Lighting lag, I'd love to know about it. Right now I am forced to use Legacy Lighting, or the game can't be ran. As others have said, its seems to be on the GM side only, players aren't experiencing the lag, and I have a modern computer. Also logging in as a player solves the issue, and turning UDL off does as well. Thanks Roll20, the sites been my place of choice for 5 years now.  I agree, I switched over to the new Dynamic lighting a month or so ago but in the last week or so it has been badly lagging. I have Comcadt High Speed internet and a Acer Gaming laptop....this same stuff happened a year ago when I implemented UDL came out and I had to convert back to LDL to have an enjoyable time running my games. As a matter of fact I'm changing my games back to the LDL right now lol.  If you eliminate the LDL (as you are advertising) without fixing the UDL for the lag issues I will be forced to cancel my sub and just play fog of war or try out Foundry/Fantasy Grounds.
For whatever it's worth, the lag issues don't appear to be universal. I've DM'ed a few times over the last week without any problems whatsoever.
I hav'nt had to bad of a time but I still use LDL thank god in all my games. Went into a game I was a player in last saturday and UDL and super slow drag.  I had to help the GM reset it to all LDL or there would'nt have been a session as it was unplayable!! Tom

Edited 1628029444
I am Co-GM on a game we ran a session of on 8/2/21.  During the session, we used UDL, with Explorer Mode turned off.  After the session, I logged back on to experiment with Explorer Mode ON.  Multiple times it actually crashed my computer.  I could turn Explorer Mode in the map-Page settings on and off freely, and with it on, turn Permanent Darkness mode on and off from the side controls.  Explorer Mode revealed areas correctly and remembered them for those tokens as it was supposed to.  The problem came when I tried to move a token.  I would move a token, and my whole computer went into Restart. This happened multiple times. This happened in the GM Role and also when I Rejoined as Player and moved a token, it died.  As GM it died no matter which of the PC tokens I moved.   After trying multiple times, I switched Explorer Mode off, and moved tokens.  No crash.  Switched Explorer Mode back ON,  and it crashed as soon as I moved a token. Using Chrome, no added plug-ins.  Windows 10 machine. I was the only one on the game at the time. Not at that machine right now, so I can edit later with additional specs.   Using a different Windows 10 machine and Chrome browser today, the issue did not occur, so it may be limited to that machine. Things I have not yet tested: 1. Suspect machine but different browser. 2. Suspect machine but Incognito Mode 3. Moving tokens without Vision enabled to see if that crashes the system.  Has anybody seen similar behavior?  Or have ideas off the top of your head that might help me troubleshoot this and pin it down?  
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Horvald - can you put in a ticket through Help Center including your hardware specifications (specifically your graphics card information?)
I have been trying to use dynamic lighting for a while now, I'm happy to learn I'm not alone having serious lag issues. If I'm just alone online as a GM prepping the game, no issue.   If I got one player, no issue.   But when the whole group is online (5 players and me) Dynamic lighting becomes unmanageable.  Laggy system, unresponsive tab .. regardless of the size of the map, the quantity of tokens .. exploring a low resolution small house is an issue with Dynamic lighting.  I tried two different computers, use Chrome (with no extension, both hardware acceleration AND WebGL on), even used the whole computer running only one thing; Chrome with one tab dedicated to the game), and everything is lagging as soon as the players join in.
Don't know if this will help everyone, but I was having the dynamic lighting issue that everyone before me is mentioning when being the GM, when multiple tokens had vision on the field it was sluggish. Prior to the game on the 31st of July, it ran always fine. So wasn't sure if there was something Roll20 did. Disabling it and doing just one vision token had no issue like the stuff I saw in this forum.  This is something I discovered by accident when messing around with my Task Manager open. Chrome was not using my graphics card, it was using my integrated one. I checked my nVidia control panel and while saying it was using the card it wasn't.  Windows 10 machine, I hit the Windows Key + I, typed Graphics Setting in the search bar, then picked the app I wanted to mess with, which was chrome. Then switched that from let Windows Decide to my Graphics Card. And boom, it was using it again and Dynamic Lighting was working like a charm.  I'm not sure how long Chrome has been using integrated for though, so I don't know if this was a random switch or if prior to anything on roll20's end it was actually working fine on Integrated Graphics. Either way, hopefully this helps out others with the lag issue.
So I have the same problem with the dynamic light, and this problem appeared at the end of July/August. I had no problem with the dynamic lights before that, but now everything is very laggy on the pages which I have enabled dynamic light. And even if I remove lots of vision, welp not really a lot of difference. I have good connection and I have made it so that google can maximize my pc for its usage. But it is still very very laggy with dynamic light. So um... pls help :)
ZLTarkad said: Don't know if this will help everyone, but I was having the dynamic lighting issue that everyone before me is mentioning when being the GM, when multiple tokens had vision on the field it was sluggish. Prior to the game on the 31st of July, it ran always fine. So wasn't sure if there was something Roll20 did. Disabling it and doing just one vision token had no issue like the stuff I saw in this forum.  This is something I discovered by accident when messing around with my Task Manager open. Chrome was not using my graphics card, it was using my integrated one. I checked my nVidia control panel and while saying it was using the card it wasn't.  Windows 10 machine, I hit the Windows Key + I, typed Graphics Setting in the search bar, then picked the app I wanted to mess with, which was chrome. Then switched that from let Windows Decide to my Graphics Card. And boom, it was using it again and Dynamic Lighting was working like a charm.  I'm not sure how long Chrome has been using integrated for though, so I don't know if this was a random switch or if prior to anything on roll20's end it was actually working fine on Integrated Graphics. Either way, hopefully this helps out others with the lag issue. This worked for me!
Kenton said: Horvald - can you put in a ticket through Help Center including your hardware specifications (specifically your graphics card information?) Ticket submitted.  
I had an issue tonight where dynamic lighting maps I've been using for weeks with no problems, suddenly dropped all the hidden areas and revealed the whole map to the players.  After that, sometimes I could reset the darkness and sometimes I can't.  Any idea what's up?
I'm also having trouble with the Control-L feature to check what my players can see...has this been disabled?  I was able to use Control-L last week just fine, but no luck the last hour.  Thanks for any feedback!
I am also experiencing the issue that&nbsp; David M. posted about on July 21. In my case, I am using the API to spawn a token with bright light 20 ft., dim light 20 ft. I am using UDL. I have the token set up as the default for a journal entity, with those values saved; if I drag to the map, it works correctly. If I spawn via API, I get bright light 20 ft., dim light 0 ft. David M. said: Regarding the recent release " Changes via API aren't rendered immediately on change ": This appears to be partially working, but still appears to be bugged. Here is a link to my original description of the problem. Originally, a default token object with UDL light emission created via api script would not immediately emit light. If "wiggled", 360 light would be displayed. Then, if the token settings were opened and saved (without making changes), directional light would be honored.&nbsp;&nbsp; Behavior after the recent release: 1) Setup: token emits light in a 53deg cone, 30ft bright light, 30ft dim light 2) Drag from journal works fine (as always) 3) When creating an instance of the default token from api script, light now immediately shows up, but only the bright light , and directional values are still ignored &nbsp;(it emits in 360deg). 4) When opening the token settings of the script-generated token, the dim light value is displayed as 0 (despite token JSON settings to the contrary as shown at the end of this post). 5) After saving the token settings (without making changes), the directional light is finally honored, but there is no dim light (see step 4). Here is an animated gif showing the problem behavior in action (sorry it's a bit fast, I was trying to stay below the max file size) Here is the JSON of the default token: {"left":665,"top":525,"width":70,"height":70,"imgsrc":"<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450&quot;,&quot;page_id&quot;:&quot;-MeRCyY2RYB1P-cBiZYY&quot;,&quot;layer&quot;:&quot;objects&quot;,&quot;name&quot;:&quot;Bullseye" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450","page_id":"-MeRCyY2RYB1P-cBiZYY","layer":"objects","name":"Bullseye</a> Lantern","represents":"-McEoftjdiGx8ym3HIMe","bar1_num_permission":"hidden","bar2_num_permission":"hidden","bar3_num_permission":"hidden","bar_location":"overlap_bottom","compact_bar":"compact","lastmove":"665,665","emits_bright_light":true,"bright_light_distance":30,"has_directional_bright_light":true,"directional_bright_light_total":53.13,"emits_low_light":true,"has_directional_dim_light":true,"directional_dim_light_total":53.13,"dim_light_opacity":"0.75","low_light_distance":60,"light_ui":30} Here is the JSON of the script-generated token (note that the low_light_distance information was properly retrieved from the default token, it is just not getting copied to the physical token settings) {"_id":"-Mf7ujERcknmeUQDfOmQ","_pageid":"-MeRCyY2RYB1P-cBiZYY","left":385,"top":595,"width":70,"height":70,"rotation":0,"layer":"objects","isdrawing":false,"flipv":false,"fliph":false,"imgsrc":"<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450&quot;,&quot;name&quot;:&quot;Bullseye" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/2876074/CDugQp3MFPeKoh8ngVdrLQ/thumb.png?1390710450","name":"Bullseye</a> Lantern","gmnotes":"","controlledby":"","bar1_value":"","bar1_max":"","bar1_link":"","bar2_value":"","bar2_max":"","bar2_link":"","bar3_value":"","bar3_max":"","bar3_link":"","represents":"-McEoftjdiGx8ym3HIMe","aura1_radius":"","aura1_color":"#FFFF99","aura1_square":false,"aura2_radius":"","aura2_color":"#59E594","aura2_square":false,"tint_color":"transparent","statusmarkers":"","showname":false,"showplayers_name":false,"showplayers_bar1":false,"showplayers_bar2":false,"showplayers_bar3":false,"showplayers_aura1":false,"showplayers_aura2":false,"playersedit_name":true,"playersedit_bar1":true,"playersedit_bar2":true,"playersedit_bar3":true,"playersedit_aura1":true,"playersedit_aura2":true,"light_radius":"","light_dimradius":"","light_otherplayers":false,"light_hassight":false,"light_angle":"","light_losangle":"","light_multiplier":1,"adv_fow_view_distance":"","sides":"","currentSide":0,"lastmove":"665,665","_type":"graphic","_subtype":"token","_cardid":"","has_bright_light_vision":false,"has_night_vision":false,"night_vision_tint":null,"night_vision_distance":0,"emits_bright_light":true,"bright_light_distance":30, "emits_low_light":true,"low_light_distance":60 ,"has_limit_field_of_vision":false,"limit_field_of_vision_center":0,"limit_field_of_vision_total":0,"has_limit_field_of_night_vision":false,"limit_field_of_night_vision_center":0,"limit_field_of_night_vision_total":0,"has_directional_bright_light":true,"directional_bright_light_total":53.13,"directional_bright_light_center":0,"has_directional_low_light":false,"directional_low_light_total":0,"directional_low_light_center":0,"light_sensitivity_multiplier":100,"night_vision_effect":null,"dim_light_opacity":"0.75","bar_location":"overlap_bottom","compact_bar":"compact","lightColor":"transparent"}
Regina S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Same, unfortunately. I want to love this so bad. but it's just not working out so far. I have a ticket in, and I'm trying to get it sorted. But the moment I drag a single token onto the screen that had UDL on it, the whole game breaks. Can't say if it's happening to my players, because I cannot even start to run a game in UDL at this point.&nbsp;
I have a problem since the big update of Dynamic Lightning: Every time i try to creat a map and that i activate Dynamic Lightning, or that i just change the option for a past map, My entire game lag like hell. I know its not my machine because very time i Desactivate the mode, the lag dispeare.&nbsp; Do you know what can i do to correct that problem?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Negisam, a couple things to check: try to avoid freehand "lines" in your DL layer as they are comprised of a whole bunch of tiny lines - use the line segment tool instead to approximate the boundaries with far fewer segments. Try disabling vision on your npcs, since their LoS gets calculated along with the players, which can be a big increase in computation on a heavily populated map (especially if #1 is an issue). You can just use the distance tool ("Q") to check LoS for npcs if you need to. Probably other techniques to help lag, but I'm still an LDL holdout in my real games until the dust settles ;)
Was updating a map to try and use red lighting for some lava pools and got some rather odd results (the map is showing the Dynamic Lighting layer where the light tokens and pale blue dynamic lighting barriers are located). First, the oblong lava pool to the bottom left only has light coming out of half of it even though I have Directional Lighting Off (In all cases the actual illumination token is the bright object).&nbsp; The lava pool in the top center (which uses a square token) works normally.&nbsp; The lava pool down and to its right has a copy of that token with the same light settings, and yet no light is being emitted.&nbsp; I've tried changing the token sizes to no effect.&nbsp; Moving some of the light sources around a bit, however, I've determined that this may be related to the "Invisible Wall" problem which has been mentioned earlier: The purple line marks the location of the invisible wall, which appears to mark a half-plane of complete solidity to its right.&nbsp; Not only can no light penetrate this region, but no light can illuminate that region.&nbsp; Oddly enough, though, when I put the light source close enough to the border, light can use quantum-mechanical tunneling to escape and illuminate some of the area to the left of the purple line while the area on the right side of the line remains dark.

Edited 1628730132
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: Was updating a map to try and use red lighting for some lava pools and got some rather odd results (the map is showing the Dynamic Lighting layer where the light tokens and pale blue dynamic lighting barriers are located). First, the oblong lava pool to the bottom left only has light coming out of half of it even though I have Directional Lighting Off (In all cases the actual illumination token is the bright object).&nbsp; The lava pool in the top center (which uses a square token) works normally.&nbsp; The lava pool down and to its right has a copy of that token with the same light settings, and yet no light is being emitted.&nbsp; I've tried changing the token sizes to no effect.&nbsp; Moving some of the light sources around a bit, however, I've determined that this may be related to the "Invisible Wall" problem which has been mentioned earlier: The purple line marks the location of the invisible wall, which appears to mark a half-plane of complete solidity to its right.&nbsp; Not only can no light penetrate this region, but no light can illuminate that region.&nbsp; Oddly enough, though, when I put the light source close enough to the border, light can use quantum-mechanical tunneling to escape and illuminate some of the area to the left of the purple line while the area on the right side of the line remains dark. Which tokens have vision on that map and where are they located?&nbsp; The light wont show up unless there is something that can see it.&nbsp; Line-of-sight could easily explain some of those effects where a walled off light source doesn't show anything, or where there is a straight line cutting off the light starting from a corner.
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I am still using LDL because... well, UDL doesn't work for me. So, before last week I had no issues with LDL, everything worked fine. Last week, moving tokens with sight was so laggy it was timing out sometimes and asking me if I wanted to wait for the page to continue updating. Today I wanted to make sure it was an isolated incident, but it isn't. Tokens with sight in LDL are just laggy in the past two weeks. Like to the point of unusable. And if feels as if it has coincided with the other issues affecting UDL, so I'm wondering, why is LDL hit by this same issue? I just tried this out, things were lagging (no animations, only myself accessing the page) when I moved a token with sight only one square, took about 20 seconds to reload the page and update. While that is happening, everything is frozen on my end, and sometimes times out and asks if I want to wait for the page to update. Turned off sight on the token, issue completely disappears, token drags without a problem, get immediate control again. Anyone else having this issue or knows what gives?
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: Was updating a map to try and use red lighting for some lava pools and got some rather odd results (the map is showing the Dynamic Lighting layer where the light tokens and pale blue dynamic lighting barriers are located). First, the oblong lava pool to the bottom left only has light coming out of half of it even though I have Directional Lighting Off (In all cases the actual illumination token is the bright object).&nbsp; The lava pool in the top center (which uses a square token) works normally.&nbsp; The lava pool down and to its right has a copy of that token with the same light settings, and yet no light is being emitted.&nbsp; I've tried changing the token sizes to no effect.&nbsp; Moving some of the light sources around a bit, however, I've determined that this may be related to the "Invisible Wall" problem which has been mentioned earlier: The purple line marks the location of the invisible wall, which appears to mark a half-plane of complete solidity to its right.&nbsp; Not only can no light penetrate this region, but no light can illuminate that region.&nbsp; Oddly enough, though, when I put the light source close enough to the border, light can use quantum-mechanical tunneling to escape and illuminate some of the area to the left of the purple line while the area on the right side of the line remains dark. Which tokens have vision on that map and where are they located?&nbsp; The light wont show up unless there is something that can see it.&nbsp; Line-of-sight could easily explain some of those effects where a walled off light source doesn't show anything, or where there is a straight line cutting off the light starting from a corner. This map has no tokens with sight; the view shown is the omniscient GM view.&nbsp; As a point of information, the blue DL path is a single open-polygon object.

Edited 1628805794
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I am still running into scenarios where tokens can see through walls. Throughout a large map, I am getting sections of walls where the token can see through the wall. These walls are parts of polygons, aligned to the grid to make the walls straight, and one part of a line segment will be block vision, while a different part of the same line segment will be transparent to the token. (animated GIF) Whenever this happens on a wall, dragging the token along the wall from a section it can see through to a section it cannot see through causes the token to snag on the wall at the end of the section that it can see through (as if there was a bit of wall jutting out). This is weird for a single line segment on a straight section of wall.
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: ... This map has no tokens with sight; the view shown is the omniscient GM view.&nbsp; As a point of information, the blue DL path is a single open-polygon object. Here's a random test map of mine with some colored lights and a wall (the green line).&nbsp; You don't see any lights cause nothing has vision. As soon as I add a dinosaur with vision, I get this: There's no omniscient GM view - the GM doesn't&nbsp;see the lighting without tokens with vision on the map to see it.&nbsp; So *something* on your map has vision turned on.&nbsp; Possibly multiple things.&nbsp; And depending on where they are, there is a good chance they're what's causing your weird lines. Try sticking a new token with vision in the section with no functioning light to see if you suddenly have functioning light.
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but as of the past week and a half my dynamic lighting has been incredible laggy on my PC, however on my much weaker laptop it's fine. Has anyone else experienced this?
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: ... This map has no tokens with sight; the view shown is the omniscient GM view.&nbsp; As a point of information, the blue DL path is a single open-polygon object. Here's a random test map of mine with some colored lights and a wall (the green line).&nbsp; You don't see any lights cause nothing has vision. As soon as I add a dinosaur with vision, I get this: There's no omniscient GM view - the GM doesn't&nbsp;see the lighting without tokens with vision on the map to see it.&nbsp; So *something* on your map has vision turned on.&nbsp; Possibly multiple things.&nbsp; And depending on where they are, there is a good chance they're what's causing your weird lines. Try sticking a new token with vision in the section with no functioning light to see if you suddenly have functioning light. Definitely a puzzle, because the only tokens on the map are the light sources (I haven't even put in the dragon whose home this is).&nbsp; I double-checked all of the light source tokens and confirmed that are all blind.&nbsp; I was able to get light out of the dark sources by putting a sighted token within view as you suggested, although the oblong source remained only half-illuminated even though I was drowning the poor elf in the lava pool.&nbsp; I also tried resetting the "Permanent Darkness" in case I had accidentally hidden something, but this had no effect.&nbsp; It can't be some incorrect setting about the map background itself, because it's a single object (not tiled).&nbsp; Similarly, the DL line is a single object, so it should either all be blind or all sighted.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Check your browser settings for unconformities between the two. You may need to toggle hardware acceleration on your PC, or ensure that your graphic card is or is not being used.
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: Bill (Do Not Kill) said: ... This map has no tokens with sight; the view shown is the omniscient GM view.&nbsp; As a point of information, the blue DL path is a single open-polygon object. Here's a random test map of mine with some colored lights and a wall (the green line).&nbsp; You don't see any lights cause nothing has vision. As soon as I add a dinosaur with vision, I get this: There's no omniscient GM view - the GM doesn't&nbsp;see the lighting without tokens with vision on the map to see it.&nbsp; So *something* on your map has vision turned on.&nbsp; Possibly multiple things.&nbsp; And depending on where they are, there is a good chance they're what's causing your weird lines. Try sticking a new token with vision in the section with no functioning light to see if you suddenly have functioning light. Definitely a puzzle, because the only tokens on the map are the light sources (I haven't even put in the dragon whose home this is).&nbsp; I double-checked all of the light source tokens and confirmed that are all blind.&nbsp; I was able to get light out of the dark sources by putting a sighted token within view as you suggested, although the oblong source remained only half-illuminated even though I was drowning the poor elf in the lava pool.&nbsp; I also tried resetting the "Permanent Darkness" in case I had accidentally hidden something, but this had no effect.&nbsp; It can't be some incorrect setting about the map background itself, because it's a single object (not tiled).&nbsp; Similarly, the DL line is a single object, so it should either all be blind or all sighted. Weird.&nbsp; I've definitely had maps where something was just weird about them - could be bugged, could be some extra token got stuck in the back somewhere. Might be easiest to just make a new map and see if it works more like you expect.&nbsp; If you're curious and interested in troubleshooting - you could probably copy that map, delete the walls, delete the background.&nbsp; See if there are any extra tokens.&nbsp; If there isn't anything obvious, then start adding walls until you can narrow down exactly where the vision is coming from.&nbsp; If it seems bugged and not just a token you forgot about, Roll20 would probably be interested in a bug report.

Edited 1628911051
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: ... Definitely a puzzle, because the only tokens on the map are the light sources (I haven't even put in the dragon whose home this is).&nbsp; I double-checked all of the light source tokens and confirmed that are all blind.&nbsp; I was able to get light out of the dark sources by putting a sighted token within view as you suggested, although the oblong source remained only half-illuminated even though I was drowning the poor elf in the lava pool.&nbsp; I also tried resetting the "Permanent Darkness" in case I had accidentally hidden something, but this had no effect.&nbsp; It can't be some incorrect setting about the map background itself, because it's a single object (not tiled).&nbsp; Similarly, the DL line is a single object, so it should either all be blind or all sighted. Also - FYI, big tokens overlapping walls can do weird things.&nbsp; If your map background *did* somehow have vision turned on, it could explain what you're seeing. Edit: This is presumably showing the same bug that Brian C. keeps complaining about. Edit Edit: Unless Brian C. has rotated those polygons after drawing them - in which case it's a different bug where movement is blocked by the original orientation of a line, while sight is blocked by the current orientation.
keithcurtis said: Check your browser settings for unconformities between the two. You may need to toggle hardware acceleration on your PC, or ensure that your graphic card is or is not being used. I was having issues with unplayable lag like many others due to the recent Dynamic Lighting update.&nbsp; These issues were for both Legacy and UDL. What fixed it for me was enabling hardware acceleration&nbsp;on my browser.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've heard some anecdotal reports about it. It's actually been one of the standard fixes for lag for years. The tough thing is that toggling it works differently for different setups. Some work better with, some without.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Sean G. said: Edit: This is presumably showing the same bug that Brian C. keeps complaining about. Edit Edit: Unless Brian C. has rotated those polygons after drawing them - in which case it's a different bug where movement is blocked by the original orientation of a line, while sight is blocked by the current orientation. No rotation of the DL lines here; they are drawn in place with Shift-click to align the vertices to the grid (so the lines are straight). I temporarily set the grid to .1 (or sometimes .05) to be able to place the lines where I want them.
Brian C. said: Sean G. said: Edit: This is presumably showing the same bug that Brian C. keeps complaining about. Edit Edit: Unless Brian C. has rotated those polygons after drawing them - in which case it's a different bug where movement is blocked by the original orientation of a line, while sight is blocked by the current orientation. No rotation of the DL lines here; they are drawn in place with Shift-click to align the vertices to the grid (so the lines are straight). I temporarily set the grid to .1 (or sometimes .05) to be able to place the lines where I want them. Hmm - shift-click does seem to result in lines that are weirdly jagged that the tokens get caught on while dragging along them.
Coloured lighting not working on some maps - help?&nbsp; Not sure if I am doing something wrong here, or what. But if I create a new map, with background art or without, and plonk some light sources down I can set colours and it all looks great. However if I drop the exact same light source down on a map I already have, it lights up the area but with no colour. It's frustrating as the option would really add some spook factor to my dungeon, but it just doesn't work.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: I've heard some anecdotal reports about it. It's actually been one of the standard fixes for lag for years. The tough thing is that toggling it works differently for different setups. Some work better with, some without. I've been having really ridiculous lag for the past two weeks in LDL and UDL. I toggled my hardware acceleration from one to off, and the lag was somewhat alleviated (more the lag I'm used to that the lag I wasn't). Anyhow, with the setting off, scrolling around the map was impossibly slow and picking up tokens to move them was also delayed by 2-3 seconds, making that unfeasible. Decided to go back to the lag, but noticed upon turning hardware acceleration back on, it seems the horrible lag stayed managable. Maybe that just needs to be toggled off, restart browser, toggled on, restart browser. That seems to have worked (so far) for me. I hope. It's been a trying couple of weeks, where a couple of my players experienced the lag and some didn't. Fun fun.
Rogue
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I've also been having bad lag issues that seem to come from the dynamic lighting. I have tried switching from Chrome to Firefox but both seemed pretty bad. UDL is pretty bad for me. I think Legacy was fine.
Hatter said: Coloured lighting not working on some maps - help?&nbsp; Not sure if I am doing something wrong here, or what. But if I create a new map, with background art or without, and plonk some light sources down I can set colours and it all looks great. However if I drop the exact same light source down on a map I already have, it lights up the area but with no colour. It's frustrating as the option would really add some spook factor to my dungeon, but it just doesn't work.&nbsp; Any chance the tokens with vision on your existing maps have nightvision?&nbsp; Depending on the exact settings - that tends to wash out a lot of the color (as an example, see my last image here )

Edited 1629499681
Hello, I'm having a strange problem while setting up DL I am setting up the barriers and lighting sources and testing as I go but when i place a token with/without Night Vision everything seem fine but when i move them the I lose sight of the Lighting Sources. How do I go about fixing this issue?
I'm still having an issue with the UDL where one of the tokens will suddenly be able to see the whole map.&nbsp; It's been working correctly for months, then two weeks ago, this started happening.&nbsp; Anybody have any idea what could be happening?&nbsp; I even tried replacing his token with no luck. Thanks

Edited 1629765046
Ivo
Pro
This is happening in Legacy to, maps that where working fine before, and still setup for Legacy tokens an all.&nbsp; I,ve had 2 games over the last week where players logged in to find they could see the whole map. Work around is to turn legacy off then on for the page and the tokens, then get them to relog, but damage done. As a side note sometimes CNTL L to view from a players token simply didn't work at all, just black screen.
Cyrens Maps
Marketplace Creator
Jagged edges using chrome. I also cant do ctrl+L in firefox because instead of showing line of sight it opens up the adress bar. Already posted about this in the bug forum.
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but there seems to be a bug (or maybe an oversight) with the UI for resetting darkness with dynamic lighting.&nbsp; Basically, if you have daylight mode turned off, you see two options (in the hide/reveal areas tool) Permanent &amp; Explorable darkness, and by selecting one of these you can reset the chosen darkness type. Now if you turn daylight mode on, these two option disappear and you can only reset permanent darkness.&nbsp; The problem is, if you then turn daylight mode off, it does not then recover the Explorable darkness option, and there is no way to reset this. My current workaround is to turn on the standard fog of war, and then turn dynamic lighting back on without daylight mode - this recovers the Explorable darkness option. This is needlessly tedious, and I can't understand why it should be this way, i.e., if turning daylight mode on removes the Explorable darkness option, then why shouldn't turning it off add the Explorable darkness option back?
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Abby said: Hi, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but there seems to be a bug (or maybe an oversight) with the UI for resetting darkness with dynamic lighting.&nbsp; Basically, if you have daylight mode turned off, you see two options (in the hide/reveal areas tool) Permanent &amp; Explorable darkness, and by selecting one of these you can reset the chosen darkness type. Now if you turn daylight mode on, these two option disappear and you can only reset permanent darkness.&nbsp; The problem is, if you then turn daylight mode off, it does not then recover the Explorable darkness option, and there is no way to reset this. My current workaround is to turn on the standard fog of war, and then turn dynamic lighting back on without daylight mode - this recovers the Explorable darkness option. This is needlessly tedious, and I can't understand why it should be this way, i.e., if turning daylight mode on removes the Explorable darkness option, then why shouldn't turning it off add the Explorable darkness option back? There are several issues within the Hide/Reveal tool described more fully in the Dynamic Lighting Portal . This is one of them. Right now, the Explorable Darkness option should return with a page refresh or the process you mentioned.
Hello, I just converted to Updated Lighting because I needed it for a particular map. Been using Fog of War as a Pro Subscriber because of so many issues with UDL. Anyway, the tokens aren't restricted by the DL layer barriers.&nbsp; The lighting works, but the tokens just pass through. Can anyone help with this? I've checked the settings and logged out etc. Still passing through.
This is the Room I'm testing. Token goes inside, and is not restricted.
Sorry, forgot to add this page setting
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
E R. said: Hello, I just converted to Updated Lighting because I needed it for a particular map. Been using Fog of War as a Pro Subscriber because of so many issues with UDL. Anyway, the tokens aren't restricted by the DL layer barriers.&nbsp; The lighting works, but the tokens just pass through. Can anyone help with this? I've checked the settings and logged out etc. Still passing through. That setting is found on the first tab, since it is currently shared by old and new lighting systems.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, missed you subsequent post. If you are GM, you will not be affected by this, although players will. If you use Cmd/Ctrl-L to see Line of Sight, the token will obey the restrictions. When in doubt, always use a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;to test lighting.

Edited 1630361286
E R.
Pro
keithcurtis said: Ah, missed you subsequent post. If you are GM, you will not be affected by this, although players will. If you use Cmd/Ctrl-L to see Line of Sight, the token will obey the restrictions. When in doubt, always use a&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;to test lighting. Thanks! I'll try that. I am confused I suppose, too, because I never had this issue in the past when I used to use Legacy DL. Edit: Dummy account worked, so thanks. Also, I stumbled on the fact that from my actual DM account, when I CTRL+L to see their viewpoint, the restrict movements work.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm, the behavior has always been the same for me regardless of Lighting system.