Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A better way to organize pages.

Edited 1616347365
Mr. Farlops said: Apologies if this has been posted before but, my fellow GM and I would love it if there were better way to organize pages in Roll20 with something like folders, For example: I could create a folder with all my maps for a specific adventure and then create other folders for other plots. So is anything like this in the works? +1, I want this. I have so many similar maps or maps I've split up because they're too large.
Five years and counting apparently. Map management is seriously broken. Is it handled better on Roll20 alternatives?
I believe my friend said that Fantasy Grounds does. And Fantasy Grounds is expanding beyond just Fantasy settings. Just saw that Palladium Books is looking at having multiple settings on there incl I think Rifts.  If so (expanding into non fantasy settings/rule sets), that is likely to be the beginning of the end for Roll20.  Because why stay with a site that doesn't allow basic adventure or campaign organization?  enrvuk DM said: Five years and counting apparently. Map management is seriously broken. Is it handled better on Roll20 alternatives?
As much as I have managed to make the archive function work for me, folders would be beyond helpful for my game. Giving my maps names with numerals and other recognizable tags to quickly find them in archive helps, but I shouldn't have to have a work around for this. The fact that this suggestion is this old  is a wee bit concerning. I spend a lot on subscription and map assets on this site so I don't truly have the desire to move, but it would be nice if super basic things like this were kept up with more openly. 
Is this really still not being addressed?  Imagine being creators, designers and developers of a ground breaking TTRPG platform and missing on things like.. folders. 
Follow the money.  We suckers are already paying for a subscription.  They only care about "new" customers.  That's why everything was F'ed up during their roll out of the bug filled mobile version.
And that's why they lost my money over 2 years ago, after keeping my paying subscription for nearly 2 yrs before that when I couldn't run a game in a time efficient manner of which map management was a major recurring issue.  In short, I stopped running games here 4 yrs ago, kept paying in support & hope they'd address the map org issue...  And then stopped giving them money.  My former co-GM, who is a player in a mutual friend's game on FG, is watching FG to see what they do. As soon as our primary non-D&D /non Pathfinder system is viable over there, Roll20 will lose his subscription too. And I'll have no reason to come back between the ongoing lack of progress on map organization & custom compendium.  Archadious said: Follow the money.  We suckers are already paying for a subscription.  They only care about "new" customers.  That's why everything was F'ed up during their roll out of the bug filled mobile version.
enrvuk DM said: Five years and counting apparently. Map management is seriously broken. Is it handled better on Roll20 alternatives? Foundry also has folders. But the answer to 99% of the suggestions on these forums is: Foundry can do that already......
Been using Roll20 for years now and it still amazes me this is not a thing yet. Found this thread after being so irritated by the map organizations I started looking for if there was anything I missed, maybe a 3rd party install for browser or something. Idk...but Roll20, for gods sake, move this up to a top priority. This is becoming FAR more of an issue as assets switch from art packs to Add-Ons. When a single map pack adds like 5-15 new maps and now I have to go through and sort it all or more likely delete most of them. It's adding extra work and making me not want to bother buying these packs.
+1
Just started GMing on Roll20 Knowing now that I can't organize the maps into folders means I'll have to do it manually on my Desktop. Disappointing that this thread is six years old and such a system hasn't been implemented.
Just finished my 487 pages, 3 year long campaign. Even with Enhanced VTT and my own map classification system, the absence of this feature means this will be my last year on Roll20. Organization is absolutely necessary for any gm to run a proper campaign, specially with 10+ concurrent players in a sandbox world. I just hope new GMs in the near future won't have to endure the same troubles I did with my maps.
You cannot create folders (tabs) within Macros, Decks and Rollable Tables to have everything better organized
How has this feature not been addressed in 5 years? Is there any intention to add some simple organization features to the Pages Toolbar?

Edited 1622611706
Jeremy S said: How has this feature not been addressed in 5 years? Six actually, I brought it up six years ago. And there may have been users who brought it up earlier than that.
This seems like such a no-brainer.  Can we please get a way to organize maps other than just archiving them?
+1
+1
A million times this, please! It takes me literal whole minutes of 'dead air' on my part to get through all my various maps in the very large world I have, with all homemade maps that would break my heart to have to whittle down somehow, and find the right one to go to next. The limited tagging or archiving doesn't really help this at all. My friend who DM's a game I play in has the same problem. Something like what web browsers do where you can have pages grouped under tabs and sub-tabs would be so so important! I know this thread has been begging for five years or so now, so I don't have a lot of hope, but if this gets seen we are begging you to workshop some kind of way to do this! 
Foundry isn't perfect, but I have moved most of my games over there. I am still a plus subscriber here since I run a 5e game still, but after that wraps up will probably cancel completely. I dropped from pro to plus a couple months ago. Foundry has folders and if you use The Forge with Foundry you can access the folders outside the game. You can't move stuff around in those folders or links get broken, so that is still a bummer, but having folders at all is a huge help. 
+1 If you want my money, do this
Roll20, it was a fun year learning, but this lack of map/page organization will be why I don't renew.
Throwing my vote on this topic too... getting pretty crowded up there.
This thread is 6 years old, and is one of the most upvoted suggestions, how are folders not a thing yet?
OOOOO, I would LOVE this!
It's pretty clear roll20 has no intentions of making this happen.  Possibly a company sell off coming?
Folders needed for map archive +1   Respectfully submitted :) 
Folders please. Would be a very welcome addition to 60+ pages for me. 
+1 please add folders. I dont see why Roll20 is adding new features noone asked for (like a mobile version) when they dont have simple things like organizational features. It's a hassle to have to delete maps just to reload them and then re-light them. I plan to play the same campaign over a few times, it's pretty cluttered already and we are only at L8...
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages/?pageforid=10286462#post-10286462" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1618045/a-better-way-to-organize-pages/?pageforid=10286462#post-10286462</a> &nbsp;is a big thread for this.
Dynamic lighting was sooooo important, but folders are too much trouble?&nbsp; Come on, guys, folders.&nbsp; I NEED.&nbsp; I wanna make a multi-planet campaign and there's just no way I can do that without a proper organization system in place.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Casandra H. said: Dynamic lighting was sooooo important, but folders are too much trouble?&nbsp; Come on, guys, folders.&nbsp; I NEED.&nbsp; I wanna make a multi-planet campaign and there's just no way I can do that without a proper organization system in place.&nbsp;&nbsp; Agree!&nbsp; Need this to run a campaign, not just an adventure
August 2021, and we're still waiting on map folders? wtf guys!?
I've never posted on the forums but dangit, I'll do it to +1 for folders for maps. With apparently 6 years and counting though I'm unsure if the developers even look at this stuff... the only reason I'm sticking with Roll20 at this point is because I already bought a few books for the compendium and it would be a waste of money to move to another platform and lose access to those. So I'm just praying they'll implement something as simple as folders for maps. It would take, what, a week at most to program? I can't imagine it being a difficult thing to do and test before launching.&nbsp;
I've brought you all a lot of business through players and friends.&nbsp; I'd ask that you please give us this simple functionality that should be standard.&nbsp; Does anyone know if there's some kind of structural reason why this isn't already a thing?&nbsp; My maps are always a sloppy mess that I have to sift through, often taking way longer to find a specific map than it should.&nbsp; PLEASE give us this feature so we can organize and structure our map content.
I've never posted twice in any thread.&nbsp; Today is the first.&nbsp; Astral is looking better every day.
I spend 5 to 10 minutes reorganising my maps to bring those that I'll think I'll use in this session, every weekly session. This campaign has been running for years, there are a lot of maps. I don't dare remove them for fear my players will choose to revisit locations, so here I am, clunking this interface for 10 minutes when I could be adding value for my players instead. make me a +1 for map folders.
+1 really? this long ... this long&nbsp;
+1
+1
Devs plzz wake up +1
+1. its amazing that (relatively) simple things are not been addressed. This is a multimillion organisation . Business plan is either to improve and adapt to keep Roll20 ahead of the curve or just sweat the assets (you and me) until we leave.&nbsp; I am starting to think it is the latter.

Edited 1631913314
Paul
Plus
Sgt. Peppers said: Just started GMing on Roll20 Knowing now that I can't organize the maps into folders means I'll have to do it manually on my Desktop. Disappointing that this thread is six years old and such a system hasn't been implemented. EXACTLY how I feel.&nbsp; My first computer was a Trash-80, and some of this stuff I am reading on here makes me long for the day when we knew going in we had to re-enter the programs and data every time we turned on the machine.&nbsp;
This would be very helpful for my games. Find it taking longer than it needs to to find the maps I am looking for while DMing.
Wow, still "queued", huh? Some things never change.
At the beginning of the year, they said that this was one of the highlighted items on their mapping. They also said in the roundtable they have had many moving and new individuals to the company, which is good and bad.

Edited 1633425252
Jay R. said: Wow, still "queued", huh? Some things never change. As the thread's originator, I have to sadly agree. VTTES has made this oversight bearable but, I really see no reason why this feature isn't native to the application at all subscription levels.
+1