Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

Guys, I'm trying to understand - translucent tokens for GM is a bug or a feature? If it's a feature - where can I vote that this feature gets DISABLED???

Edited 1633877936
Not a bug. See dev response here . Seems you need to give yourself control over the tokens (or sheets) and turn the token vision on to make them stand out. You can make a suggestion in the Suggestions & Ideas forum.
So i'm posting this here as i suspect it's related to UDL,  is the new place light tool working as expected as i have tested it on a map with UDL, placed a light token on 2 layers to see if it makes a difference and what i have found is they are great at replacing the darkness spell tokens i have,  See below images for examples. GM Page Settings: GM View - Left token on Map Layer, right light token on token layer.  Player token with vision, 60ft dark vision, no tinting and no effects on. so far so good,  Player view - both tokens not producing light but darkness. it looked like such a useful took when they showed it off, it might be me and a setting i have missed somewhere but i expect it's gone wonky and probably isn't ready to be released with UDL?
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I'm curious what script you use. Are you attaching a separate torch token to the darkvision character? In any case, this wouldn't help a Plus member. But I am curious. Yes, that's basically what it does. It's part of my  COFantasy  script.

Edited 1634202809
David
Sheet Author
According to this post <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10223955/dynamic-lighting-updates-bugs-and-feedback/?pageforid=10282381#post-10282381" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10223955/dynamic-lighting-updates-bugs-and-feedback/?pageforid=10282381#post-10282381</a> by Bunny the jagged&nbsp; issues have been fixed. But.......&nbsp; UDL LDL The issues seems to get worse the further away a token with sight is. UDL
Matt Beck said: Like so many others, we just are continuing to have issues with dynamic lighting. Last night one of my players just suddenly had the entire map revealed. Another was able to completely walk through walls. Lots of lag moving tokens around. Lots of minor visual glitches, such as the ruler being unreadable. Even with a relatively small number of tokens on the map this just doesn't work very well. I keep trying, but this is just sad. It clearly wasn't ready to get pushed out on all of us, and still isn't really ready for primetime. Meanwhile other fundamental features that people are begging for get ignored for years. Tonight was the second week in a row that some of my players could suddenly see all of the map. One player that it happened to both weeks has been having serious lag issues with his laptop, it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for his movement or dice rolls to be visible to the rest of us. After our game session tonight he called me right after to tell me that after logging out of Roll20 and logging back in the map looked normal to him again so I didn't need to reset explorable darkness. Luckily he is a huge D&amp;D nerd so when it happened he told me that he zoomed way in so he wouldn't spoil anything for himself, but this is really annoying and immersion breaking.
This is the Cyberpunk 2077 of features. You know it's going to be really good like 1-2 years after release.
We're having issues with overlapping light sources making the battlefield absolutely neon. DM's view and a player's view: Some of the character's have darkvision set, but it's just so wild that the lighting stacks, in this situation where a few people just have auras of light and the environment has some mood lighting. What's up with this? Any fixes?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Colored "light" overlaps oddly. The more you use, the overlaps become very odd. I would suggest using it very sparingly.
I had the same probleme. For light sources and night vision i use now again transparent, because it looks verry weird. Tem said: We're having issues with overlapping light sources making the battlefield absolutely neon. DM's view and a player's view: Some of the character's have darkvision set, but it's just so wild that the lighting stacks, in this situation where a few people just have auras of light and the environment has some mood lighting. What's up with this? Any fixes
Hello i am using dynamic lighting on Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I started it about half way through level 1, as having to reveal areas all the time using Fog of War was slowing everything down. I then switched on Explorer mode, which worked fine for the first couple of sessions, and then suddenly one of the players announced that he could now see the entire map. None of the other players can. So I’ve had to turn off explorer mode. Is there a solution? I’m using Firefox, running on a Mac in the current OS. Three of the players are running Windows 10 and using Chrome (including the one who can see everything), and the fourth is using a Mac laptop and chrome or Firefox. Thanks chris

Edited 1634663768
Is there any way to get this decision reconsidered? As someone noted translucency is used to note what is on the DM layer, having it used for another purpose seems to be a huge impact and needlessly complex solution. Additionally... this likely creates a huge burden for anyone buying modules as I don't think the (tens or hundreds) of tokens are assigned to DMs (nor could they be as there may be multiple DMs etc. anyway). I doubt this translucency decision is intended to be exceedingly burdensome on paying customers. If there is no better way to resolve the issue... at least make it a setting/toggle so that DMs are not forced to trawl through every token and change ownership). Kenton said: Sean G. said: The link to the dynamic lighting portal in the first post of this thread seems to now be broken. And to confirm, from the patch notes for the 8th, translucent tokens in explorer mode has been re-classified as a feature? The Dynamic Lighting portal is inaccessible right now. I'm working with the vendor to resolve currently. The fix on the 8th was to make translucency consistent. Tokens that are controlled by one or more users are not translucent. Tokens that are not &nbsp;controlled by any players have translucency. This has been done with the intent to make the tokens that are interacted with the most stand out, while not overwhelming the GM's view.
Experienced some pretty bad lag again tonight - using Incognito Chrome (aka no addons at all.)&nbsp; UDL seems to not be able to handle certain nights - still not sure what the root cause of this is but it is quite frustrating.&nbsp; Tried Firefox again but it was completely unusable still with UDL. -Adam
Explorer mode has never worked correctly, and I haven't seen any acknowledgement on their part of this.&nbsp; The bug I have observed (which may or may not be related to what you saw) is that if a token is manipulated from multiple windows (e.g., if the GM moves a player's token), then the explored areas reset.&nbsp; Did you by any chance move that player's token? Chris R. said: Hello i am using dynamic lighting on Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I started it about half way through level 1, as having to reveal areas all the time using Fog of War was slowing everything down. I then switched on Explorer mode, which worked fine for the first couple of sessions, and then suddenly one of the players announced that he could now see the entire map. None of the other players can. So I’ve had to turn off explorer mode. Is there a solution? I’m using Firefox, running on a Mac in the current OS. Three of the players are running Windows 10 and using Chrome (including the one who can see everything), and the fourth is using a Mac laptop and chrome or Firefox. Thanks chris

Edited 1635053206
I just had the same thing in my session; (only) one of my five players had the map go all weird, then he could see everything. He also had a weird walk-through-walls experience. (We've otherwise not had any issues with Dynamic Lighting, apart from perhaps performance.) Paul said: Matt Beck said: Like so many others, we just are continuing to have issues with dynamic lighting. Last night one of my players just suddenly had the entire map revealed. Another was able to completely walk through walls. Lots of lag moving tokens around. Lots of minor visual glitches, such as the ruler being unreadable. Even with a relatively small number of tokens on the map this just doesn't work very well. I keep trying, but this is just sad. It clearly wasn't ready to get pushed out on all of us, and still isn't really ready for primetime. Meanwhile other fundamental features that people are begging for get ignored for years. Tonight was the second week in a row that some of my players could suddenly see all of the map. One player that it happened to both weeks has been having serious lag issues with his laptop, it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for his movement or dice rolls to be visible to the rest of us. After our game session tonight he called me right after to tell me that after logging out of Roll20 and logging back in the map looked normal to him again so I didn't need to reset explorable darkness. Luckily he is a huge D&amp;D nerd so when it happened he told me that he zoomed way in so he wouldn't spoil anything for himself, but this is really annoying and immersion breaking.

Edited 1635095934
Chris
Plus
Really loving the Dynamic Lighting - particularly with colour. It adds a huge amount to the game Echoing some of the comments above, though - it feels that some of the maths could be a little off in how it's calculated. I hope you don't mind a bit of feedback... Rather than light contribution being the intensity of the light multiplied by the light's colour, it seems somehow as if the lights are converted to a dimmer un-coloured light, and the colour value of the light then added . So - in the real world, a primary red light should be purely in the red channel in red/green/blue. i.e. 1, 0, 0 - and this value is then multiplied in to any token or map pixel. So a pixel that is green, blue, black - or any combination of these - under a red light should appear black, as it has no red component. E.g. blue pixel under red light in rgb: [0, 1, 0] x [1, 0, 0] = [0, 0, 0] Black result. But, in Roll20, it doesn't. It's more akin to: [0, 1, 0] x [0.5, 0.5, 0.5] + [0.5, 0, 0] = [0.5, 0.5, 0] Purple result. It has the effect of half-lighting the original pixels and then "bleaching" the pixels with the light colour value. So - what seems to be going on is that the standard (white/transparent) light value is halved; this is multiplied in to the pixels; and then half the colour of the light is used additively on the pixels. This isn't correct in terms of how light works. You can test this by creating a "white-coloured" light in Roll20 (not a standard un-coloured light - actually set the light colour to white in the coloured light settings).&nbsp;This should, in theory, be exactly the same as a standard un-coloured light - but it isn't. It acts somewhat like a standard un-coloured light, but now it washes out all the black pixels with its additive contribution. If the maths was working correctly - colour value multiplied into the original un-coloured light intensity and then using this resulting value to multiply all pixels lit by this light, then it wouldn't do this. You'd just get a standard uncoloured light. Real world light maths should be: litPixelResult = pixelColourValue x lightIntensityValue x lightColourValue But - the maths in Roll20 seems to be: litPixelResult = pixelColourValue x lightIntensityValue/2 + lightColourValue/2 A primary red light in Roll20, for example, seems to be doing the maths: pixelColourValue x [0.5, 0.5, 0.5] + [0.5, 0, 0] This means that a black pixel will turn dark red: [0, 0, 0] x [0.5, 0.5, 0.5] + [0.5, 0, 0] = [0.5, 0, 0] The more coloured light contribution you have, the more the black pixels will be brightened. This has the effect of losing contrast on everything. The final result of all the combined lights in a scene should be additive - but only when the result of the action of each individual light on the pixels has been worked out first. overallLightResult = light1Result + light2Result + light3Result I know there's a lot to break down there - but hopefully someone who's already doing the maths of this can understand what I'm talking about. Again - loving the system, and the game play - but I feel that this fix would make a huge difference. Thanks.
I posted this in the general forum before it occurred to me it probably belonged here: I'm not entirely sure I know how to phrase this, but I have an issue where sometimes UDL breaks for one or more of my players.&nbsp; That is, they can see the whole map as if UDL was not enabled at all.&nbsp; Sometimes it's just one player, sometimes it all (both, really, as two of them are playing on a single laptop).&nbsp; I've tried resetting the darkness, toggling UDL off and on again, to no avail. Sometimes when we come back for the next session, UDL is working correctly for the players, and other times not.&nbsp; The two on the shared laptop have also experienced some pretty bad lag, but I think we resolved that tonight with hardware acceleration settings. Now I've had a chance to look through this thread I'm relieved I'm not the only one with this issue, but also disappointed there isn't some kind of answer or even an official acknowledgment that there's an issue and it's being looked at. It's been suggested to use Legacy Dynamic Lighting or to turn off Explorer mode, but I'd like to add my voice to the chorus to get a real fix for this soon, please.
Eponymous said: I posted this in the general forum before it occurred to me it probably belonged here: I'm not entirely sure I know how to phrase this, but I have an issue where sometimes UDL breaks for one or more of my players.&nbsp; That is, they can see the whole map as if UDL was not enabled at all.&nbsp; Sometimes it's just one player, sometimes it all (both, really, as two of them are playing on a single laptop).&nbsp; I've tried resetting the darkness, toggling UDL off and on again, to no avail. Sometimes when we come back for the next session, UDL is working correctly for the players, and other times not.&nbsp; The two on the shared laptop have also experienced some pretty bad lag, but I think we resolved that tonight with hardware acceleration settings. Now I've had a chance to look through this thread I'm relieved I'm not the only one with this issue, but also disappointed there isn't some kind of answer or even an official acknowledgment that there's an issue and it's being looked at. It's been suggested to use Legacy Dynamic Lighting or to turn off Explorer mode, but I'd like to add my voice to the chorus to get a real fix for this soon, please. Don't expect Roll20 developers to pick up from comments made on the forums, when they are addressing reports made through the help center.&nbsp; If you want attention, go to the help center and enter your issue there.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That being said, official feedback threads created by team members (like this one) are supposedly monitored. A dev may or may not not respond here, but it should be being read.
Two problems noted that related to UDL: First, the setup: I'm running the Tomb of Annihilation module and the players/characters are currently in the tomb. The tomb levels have their lighting set by the module but, essentially, everything is, or should be, dark - no global lighting. Most of the characters have darkvision so they can see at least a bit. For all of the characters with darkvision, I have turned on "Night Vision" in the UDL settings. I also use a tint color to make it a bit darker than what Roll20 does by default. One of the characters is human and doesn't have darkvision but one of the other characters casts the Light spell on him so his token is set to emit bright light for 20 ft and dim light for 20 feet. So, when he is in the room with the other players, the "Night Vision" doesn't really do anything since they are seeing the light from this one character. So, in last night's game, they encountered a creature that cast the Darkness spell and I attempted to set "Permanent Darkness" for the area of the spell. Problem #1: I could not set the darkness to be a circle/sphere. The help files for the regular drawing tool say that if you hold down the Alt key, the rectangle will become a circle, the UDL help files do not say anything at all that I saw. The "Darkness" spell is supposed to create darkness in a sphere in a 15-ft radius. I could not do this. If it makes a difference, I'm on a MacBook Pro and using the Chrome browser. Problem #2: Some of the characters could still see in this "Permanent Darkness" even if I turned off their vision completely. Problem #3: When the spell ended and I removed the area of "Permanent Darkness", most of the players could see normally (once their vision settings were reset). One of the players, however, could not see anything where the darkness had been. That is to say, he could see other parts of the room/tomb, but not the area where the darkness was - it did not reset for him. If it makes a difference, he was on a PC and using Firefox. Others in the group were also on PCs using Firefox so I don't think that is the issue but I don't know for sure. If he logged out and logged in again, he could see everything normally. BTW, I too have had nights in this game where the players could see the entire map, even though they were not supposed to see anything but the room/corridor they were in. That is to say that the UDL lines did not block line of sight like they were supposed to. I don't know if this problem was considered "fixed" or not but this happened in my game quite recently (I think 3 weeks ago).

Edited 1635438764
I am not sure where the appropriate place to put this is, but it seems like there was a recent change (within the last month) to the functionality of light emitting objects, that makes it significantly harder as a GM to prep maps. Previously, light emitting objects would display light regardless of the presence of a token with vision. Now it seems to be dependent on a token with vision being nearby. (I typically only turn on vision for Player Character tokens, to reduce memory overhead).&nbsp; The "new way" makes it difficult to check maps for light coverage at a macro level (especially if I am using a map converted from LDL to UDL). Is there a function option I am not seeing that allows for the old method of GM light display, or do I&nbsp; now have to drag around a player vision test token in every room I create going forward?
Hi all, new to Roll 20. Setting up a game and using some maps I purchased from Marketplace. I added Dynamic Lighting, without Daylight on, and noticed that there are light circles showing on each map and I haven't added a light source. I was going to start blocking off walls so I could restrict movement and emulate lighting coming in from outside... and that's how I first noticed it that each map had a light source on. The walls were blocking the light but on its way to the outside! I took pictures of it and the settings. Would love some help please. Thanks VERY much in advance.&nbsp;
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Check the map image itself to be sure it isn't set to emit light.

Edited 1635640025
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Check your maps. They look like they are emitting light. Edit: Sniped!

Edited 1635641905
Kraynic said: Check the map image itself to be sure it isn't set to emit light. 1. Thank you for such a quick response! 2. LOL... how do I check? Each map image is on the map layer and when I right click, anything to do with light doesn't appear to be something to select. Its not a token...&nbsp; I'm going to kick myself likely after I learn this. LOL&nbsp; EDIT: I double-clicked on it and saw that "Vision" was indeed selected. Turned it off and problem solved. THANKS again.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: Check your maps. They look like they are emitting light. Edit: Sniped! Thank you for a fast response. I asked my further questions in the post previous.&nbsp;

Edited 1635987145
Hello All, Lately I've had extremely bad lag in my games when using the Updated Dynamic Lighting feature. This wasn't initially an issue when I made the switch to UDL, but it seems to have gotten worse. I kind of expected it from larger maps with many light sources, but I'm even having problems on a 25x25 map with one set of Dynamic walls and no extra light sources.&nbsp; Lag is reduced when I use the Ctrl + L feature and look through the vision of one token. Lag is also reduced if I go to Legacy Lighting mode. Is this just a performance issue of my PC and handling all the different lighting/views of tokens? Is UDL that much more of a resource hog than legacy? Could this have anythign to do with the number of assets and maps in my game, it has gotten pretty big at this point... {removed by staff} Edit: Found Kenton's post and tried a few other things- Operating System: Tried on both my Windows 7 PC, and Windows 10 Laptop Browser: Tried both Chrome and Firefox Display Adapter (GPU manufacture and model) if possible -&nbsp; Nvidia Geforce GT 720(on Win7 PC), Integrated Intel HD 520(Win10 Laptop) Is Hardware Acceleration on? It is on by default. Tried toggling it off, but lag did not improve when using UDL. Please send the output from webglreport.com - I do not see an option to send output. I will PM a screenshot. Does restarting your browser solve the problem (at least temporarily)? No. Does restarting your computer solve the problem (at least temporarily)? No. I have also gone into other games with far less assets and maps and am still seeing great lag from UDL on both computers. Thanks for any help you can provide.&nbsp;

Edited 1636408136
Hi all, any movement on the overlapping tint issues for nightvision?&nbsp; Used a light gray tint for a CoS game and it looked great for my players, but as a DM the screen was ultra bright and almost unreadable. It was fine for a one shot, but I couldn't face that every time - the maps were just bleached out and would spoil my immersion
Simon G. said: Hi all, any movement on the overlapping tint issues for nightvision?&nbsp; Used a light gray tint for a CoS game and it looked great for my players, but as a DM the screen was ultra bright and almost unreadable. It was fine for a one shot, but I couldn't face that every time - the maps were just bleached out and would spoil my immersion Still 100% this. I just wish roll20 devs would let us know what they plan to do with this. Do they even consider it a bug? Because if no, then I will just remove the color from all my lights and visions because it really is impossible to DM with it on. I love how it looks for my players, but just so sick of needing sunglasses to DM.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would use tinted light sparingly or not at all. There are just too many mixing variables to account for.
Even with all of the tinted light having the same tint, it fails spectacularly. I like the idea of it, and players have enjoyed when I used it, but the headache for me isn't worth it. This week, I ran my game with no UDL (just fog of war) for the first time in several months. It was also the first time that all of the players had a satisfactory experience in that time. I keep wanting to like it, and in concept I do, but the issues with it cause real headaches for players and it's just getting harder to justify.

Edited 1636498065
Thanks Keith, let's hope it does get fixed - I know others are having trouble with UDL but we play fairly regularly and apart from this try out of tinted night vision and it being bright for me, everything works really well and has done for many sessions now.&nbsp; Experimenting with building interiors being a token and Explorer Mode right now and loving that with UDL.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yesterday, I had once more a player that could see the entire map with UDL (he was running Chrome under Androïd). I was not using anything fancy: global illumination, no other source of light, no explorer mode. The player told me he had no extension or add blocker. I know enough API scripting to revert back to LDL, but I'd rather that the player sees nothing instead of the whole map. Walls blocking line of sight for all players is really basic functionality that should never fail!
Updated Dynamic Lightning lags heavily, Legacy Lighting does not. Other than that, I don't see any practical difference. I have no idea what's causing it but I hope it will be fixed before Legacy Lighting is phased out for good.

Edited 1636590557
Can we get a toggle for this obnoxious 'PC tokens are now always translucent" setting? Why are non GM layer tokens even being rendered translucent to begin with? The entire point for the GM is to quickly distinguish at a glance what tokens are on field and what tokens are on GM and dynamic layer with translucence. Please reconsider this decision or add a toggle. I'm not sure who keeps coming up with the ideas to solve problems that don't exist, making new problems in the process. I'm also continuing to get lag inducing endless jagged lines in my UDL games, despite being informed that this has been fixed... what, 3 times now?

Edited 1636911238
I am very new to dynamic lightning as I run only one game with it. Hence I'd like to stick to UDL, but I can't find solution to issue I am having. I have a map with UDL and Explorer mode. I put down some torches from the taskbar, and gave my players vision. All worked fine for a while. However after my players moved their tokens a bit, light soureces disappeared for them. I played around a little bit and it seems that after a token is placed where it can't see any light it looses it's ability to see any light forever. Screenshots with steps to reproduce. 1. Token sees light: 2. Token is moved to where ther is no light: 3. Token no longer can see light: Torches placement: Is it a known issue? Are there any workarounds for it?

Edited 1637018331
Can someone official update the first post in this thread please to remove the link to "The Dynamic Lighting Portal", since the link is returning a 404 error. Or at least add a big message saying that the link isn't working - so that I don't have to search through pages until I see on the third page of messages that it broke TWO months ago.
Over the last month or so we have experienced very poor performance with UDL enabled so much that we had to disable it. I play on Wednesday and Fridays if that matters.
Farling said: Can someone official update the first post in this thread please to remove the link to "The Dynamic Lighting Portal", since the link is returning a 404 error. Or at least add a big message saying that the link isn't working - so that I don't have to search through pages until I see on the third page of messages that it broke TWO months ago. Can confirm that the Dynamic Lighting Portal link is broken (404 error), tested just now. Has there been an official Roll20 response on why the portal is broken and why it is still listed in the first post in this thread?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The issue was brought up and responded to when it first happened. There has been no update. It is likely due to a vendor problem beyond Roll20's control. Roll20 doesn't control the site which ran the portal as I understand it. Nevertheless, an update would be appreciated. Kenton &nbsp;said: Sean G. &nbsp;said: The link to the dynamic lighting portal in the first post of this thread seems to now be broken. And to confirm, from the patch notes for the 8th, translucent tokens in explorer mode has been re-classified as a feature? The Dynamic Lighting portal is inaccessible right now. I'm working with the vendor to resolve currently. The fix on the 8th was to make translucency consistent. Tokens that are controlled by one or more users are not translucent. Tokens that are&nbsp; not &nbsp;controlled by any players have translucency. This has been done with the intent to make the tokens that are interacted with the most stand out, while not overwhelming the GM's view.
I was going to ask about why tokens for GM was now faint and hard to see, as if they were on the GM Layer. I've learned now there's a new slider bar so if you have any map on the GM Layer and you pull a token on the Token Layer, it will automatically make it look like it's faint due to the GM Layer. The annoying way to fix this is to either remove the GM Layer or turn down/up, not sure which way it would be, the opacity to where you cannot see the map on the GM Layer just to clearly see the token. This is annoying and seems like an error, but I don't understand coding. I also don't know if this is a result of the UDL, since it seems the continued work on UDL will affect other aspects of the site. I am still working gradually on using another site for my main games. This one I'm working on is just a single dungeon 5e game. Only way I can think to fix this is if I go through every spot in the dungeon and write over each number and hidden door marker on the GM Layer and remove the copy of the map from the GM Layer to have Tokens on the Token Layer not look like they are on the GM Layer. I'm also not using UDL. I refuse to use UDL because of how it nearly killed one of my players older computer system and caused so much lag during one session of playing CoS module when my Co-DM decided we should give it a try on 1 map. We swiftly changed back to using the simple Fog of War, which thankfully isn't nearly killing the one players older computer. If this weird event is due to me having a copy of the map on the GM Layer, and not a bug resulted from the UDL progressing forwards with the bugs that have been pointed out for months if not a year or longer by now, then I apologize for this post. If a Token on the Token Layer appearing to be on the GM Layer is due to UDL somehow, then maybe they should be working on that because I have never had a token suddenly look like it was on the GM Layer just because it went on top of something on the GM Layer, or at least not to my memory that is.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although I agree with the opinion that reducing the opacity of non-controlled tokens is undesirable, I have to ask, why are you putting a map on the GM layer at all? Is there a reason the map layer is not sufficient?
David
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Although I agree with the opinion that reducing the opacity of non-controlled tokens is undesirable, I have to ask, why are you putting a map on the GM layer at all? Is there a reason the map layer is not sufficient? Probably for a GM version of a map.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Assuming that is the reason, this wouldn't be a Dynamic Lighting Issue. That would be a non-recommended use of a feature leading to undesirable results.

Edited 1637526749
David
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Assuming that is the reason, this wouldn't be a Dynamic Lighting Issue. That would be a non-recommended use of a feature leading to undesirable results. Says you. Anything that shortens the time required to setup things up is a plus.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I thought it would save me time and I've no memory of this happening before, but I will not be doing so again. My apologies for my incorrect post and for incorrectly assuming it had anything to do with codes possibly being affected by a change to UDL. I will give deeper thought and considering from every angle before saying anything in a fourm. Again, my apologies for wasting anyone's time on my self caused nonsense.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Alisia, you have done nothing wrong. Please ignore the previous interchange, which had nothing to do with your post. Here are some helpful hints. In general, the Map &amp; Background Layer is used for things that appear behind the tokens and are visible by all players. The GM Info Overlay Layer is a layer that exists on top of the Objects &amp; Tokens Layer . It is designed to be semi transparent and viewable only by the GM. Last year a slider was added to allow GMs to control the opacity. However, everything on that layer displays with transparency. If you cover the viewable area with a map image that entire image will superimpose the token layer, making everything (for the GM) appear transparent, regardless of the current handling of token transparency. I still feel this token transparency to be a bad design idea, but that is not specific to your difficulty, toher than exacerbating the problem you were already experiencing: ghostly token images. The way that most modules handle the GM layer is to place notes and symbols on it that are not part of the map image: markers for secret doors, map key numbers or letters, and written notes. It is also used for holding creatures that are not being used at the moment or are hidden from players. If you have two maps, one with marks and one without (example, a copy of a print map that has a player and a gm version), that would be difficult to implement as is. The best thing to do in that case would be to use the player version as the map layer image, and use either marker graphics or the text tool to mark map areas and secret doors. There are a few free modules that can demonstrate this: The Master's Vault is one. It's a good way to see how an adventure is assembled on Roll20, despite its age. Please feel free to ask questions wherever you need assistance.
keithcurtis said: The issue was brought up and responded to when it first happened. There has been no update. It is likely due to a vendor problem beyond Roll20's control. Roll20 doesn't control the site which ran the portal as I understand it. Nevertheless, an update would be appreciated. Kenton &nbsp;said: Sean G. &nbsp;said: The link to the dynamic lighting portal in the first post of this thread seems to now be broken. And to confirm, from the patch notes for the 8th, translucent tokens in explorer mode has been re-classified as a feature? The Dynamic Lighting portal is inaccessible right now. I'm working with the vendor to resolve currently. The fix on the 8th was to make translucency consistent. Tokens that are controlled by one or more users are not translucent. Tokens that are&nbsp; not &nbsp;controlled by any players have translucency. This has been done with the intent to make the tokens that are interacted with the most stand out, while not overwhelming the GM's view. Leaving that first post up without editing the link is just needlessly aggravating to users.&nbsp; Also depressing that Roll20 can't even seem to run a portal to report bugs on UDL without the portal breaking down. What kind of due diligence was done to select this vendor?
Jay R. said: Leaving that first post up without editing the link is just needlessly aggravating to users.&nbsp; Also depressing that Roll20 can't even seem to run a portal to report bugs on UDL without the portal breaking down. What kind of due diligence was done to select this vendor? If you get depressed at each of Roll20's failures you are going to be incredibly miserable as there are a lot of them.&nbsp; My suggestion is to treat Roll20 as an as-is product - you get what you get.&nbsp; If the services/functionality you are currently provided by Roll20 is worth what you are paying for the product, then learn to live with the issues.&nbsp; Otherwise it might be a good opportunity to explore other products in the VTT space. -Adam