Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Updates, Bugs, & Feedback

Hello everyone, I'm currently running a game of Dungeon of the Mad Mage, and have some issues with dynamic lightning with it. On top of the lag (which I wont address it, I'll tinker with explorator mode and aFoW on my end), I have a much important issue where the map gets fully revealed to some of my players. Here is a screenshot made by a player as an example : This happened to several of my players, on different maps (we are currently on floor 2, but it also happened on floor 1). Some times, reloading the page on their end (which is quite long considering the map size), or reset visibility on my end will temporarily fix the issue, but not always. Once, it reseted the visibility, but kept the whole map visible in fog : As the problem occurs with several players on several maps, I don't think it's specific to one particular setting of my player. All of us are playing on PC, in Chrome on incognito tabs if this helps. Thinking of dropping the campaign altogether to come back to smaller modules if we cant fix this, as exploration is one of the main appeal of DOTWN. Hope someone can help. Cheers.
@Murderhobo. Others may have more help.  In my experience in my campaigns it is the same few people that are having problems with the map being revealed and it seems to have to do with their physical hardware.  If you read earlier in these posts there are explanations on how to turn on and off acceleration which can seem to help for some.  In my experience these were no help at all, but seem to have helped others in this thread, so you should read back posts and try those fixes.  Of the 3 individuals I have who always had a problem with this, one upgraded his antique to a new device.  "Poof", no more visibility issues.  I don't run D&D, and have to make my own stuff, so as a fix I've made my maps smaller.  Doesn't stop them from being revealed by the way, but by breaking the map up into pieces and skipping from map to map it limits the damage to the story of one player being able to see everything.  Hoping they do something to get this fixed, but I'm thinking we are stuck with it.  Thankfully my 2nd players 14 year old antique blue screened of death last week, so hoping we are down to just one problem child now.   So, I'm pretty sure that this issue is on the players end, not yours.  Has to do with their graphics driver / hardware.  May be fixable by turning acceleration on or off (see previous posts, no guarantees).  You can temporally correct it as you described, but it will come back, which makes fighting it pointless.
This whole-map-visible problem has happened several times in my games now, to different players on different systems. In one case I was able to look at the player's computer screen directly, and it was really annoying that his view was better than what I get as GM!  My only reliable work-around is to draw filled rectangles on the token layer to cover things up until I move them.  This is far from ideal, since I can't see through them either, but at least it forces the players to explore.
The Dynamic Lighting Portal links in the first post of this thread give a 404 error . Not sure if this is a known problem. I wanted to see what was going on with the Devs regarding fixes for UDL. Namely, light sources emitting black instead of light (seemed to be related to Nightvision - nocturnal or normal, as changing it to dimming fixes it). Also, overlapping light sources or nightvision making everything way too bright . And it would be awesome to be able to use Explorer mode again.
I posted this in the general Bug Reports and Technical issues too: Dynamic Lighting was not working for me (Chrome) I am NOT the GM/DM, so this was a player-side issue. It worked for every other player, it was just not working for me. In other words I could see the whole map while dynamic lighting was working for everyone else and they could only see where light sources were. Here is what fixed it for me (I cannot stress  FOR ME  enough): 1.Put this in the address bar of Chrome:  chrome://flags/ 2.Make sure that "Accelerated 2D Canvas" is set to  Enabled . For some reason, mine was Disabled. 3.Restart Chrome. All the other updating of drivers and removing plug-ins was 100% unnecessary. I put everything else back to what it was when I was having the issue and the dynamic lighting still works. My GM/DM did not change ANYTHING on his end.  Turning off Accelerated 2D Canvas put me back in the same place (I could see the entire map).  Hopefully, this helps someone and the devs can maybe look into why this worked for me. 
Hi, I've been having a consistent issue with the new dynamic lighting in more than the common place lag (which now feels like pulling tokens through molasses) but when I'm testing out the lighting to make certain everything is going it only works up to a point, eventually the lighting just dies out, and the only tokens that can see anything other than grey are those with darkvision. Maybe it's for a lack of trying hard enough but I can't seem to ever find anyone talking about this issue, but it's driving me insane because I spend a lot of time working on my dynamic lighting, and it's gotten to the point that I'm looking to just just resort to using the reveal/obscure feature as blocky and bad as it looks just to save my sanity and time. Is anyone else having this issue, had this issue, and otherwise fixed it? I've looked at some of the fixes people have recommended for other DL issues, but none of them are the situation for me.

Edited 1641787919
Found a temporary fix for this if anyone else is having the same issue I stated above. Use this set up and you'll have lower lag along with not losing sight on any tokens by the looks of it so far, though I'll have to see how well it works once I have all my players in. The only downside is that your players won't be able to see what areas they have discovered already. Some trade offs are worth it though :/. (basically just turn off explorer mode.)
Going back to the old Dynamic lighting was the life saver for me. I spent many hours attempting to remedy the problems and newer ones popped up. Even with explorer mode off, just not worth the frustration for me. I had 3 players drop out because the map movement was so glitchy.
Doing my monthly check-in on this feature and it doesn't appear as though the net net has changed very much. Still reading quite a bit of feedback on going back to LDL. Alan M. said: Going back to the old Dynamic lighting was the life saver for me. I spent many hours attempting to remedy the problems and newer ones popped up. Even with explorer mode off, just not worth the frustration for me. I had 3 players drop out because the map movement was so glitchy.

Edited 1642085528
If for no reason other than balance, I can report that we've been using UDL successfully for many months now. I don't use explorer mode or fog of war or whatever the preferred term is... so if there's issues with that functionality, I can't comment. But the games have played smoothly for me as DM, no negative feedback from the players, I'm able to easily add lights (colored lights as well), adjust vision, etc. The only consistent issue I have is related to a known bug. It's basically an issue with refreshing... when my PCs use Bump to go invisible, their vision is disrupted until I go into the token and basically resave their vision state. Which is annoying. This bug is also apparently the reason Observer doesn't work with UDL right now. So... DEVELOPERS... it sure would be nice if you could fix this bug! I don't know if it's minor or major, but it definitely impacts our quality of play experience. Other than that, smooth sailing, and waaaaaaay more intuitive than LDL was. Learning how to use LDL for the first time as a Roll20 noob DM was reminiscent of the first time I was given an RPN calculator. There were a lot of "wait... what? " moments.
I have a player that is using a lower powered system with a J series Celeron processor, 8GB of RAM, and a UHD600 that will do 4K but cant do dynamic lighting without chugging. Also tried an AMD Athlon 300U 3.3Ghz with Vega 3 graphics, 8GB RAM....same thing. Tested the sites below for comparison. -&nbsp; <a href="https://browserbench.org/MotionMark/" rel="nofollow">https://browserbench.org/MotionMark/</a> -&nbsp; <a href="https://www.wirple.com/bmark/" rel="nofollow">https://www.wirple.com/bmark/</a> -&nbsp; <a href="https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html" rel="nofollow">https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html</a> &nbsp; - 5000 3d fish at 60fps uses less than trying to move a token around. No issues with testing on these sites but dynamic lighting kills both of his systems. This seems poorly optimized if it's driving GPUs that hard. Any ideas on what is going on and when a fix can be expected? One of the major parts of me buying a Pro membership was to use dynamic lighting and if my players can't use it, then I have to turn it off for everyone.
Kellanist said: This seems poorly optimized if it's driving GPUs that hard. Any ideas on what is going on and when a fix can be expected? One of the major parts of me buying a Pro membership was to use dynamic lighting and if my players can't use it, then I have to turn it off for everyone. Yeah, I watched my gpu while moving the map around and it goes from 1% usage up to 70+ immediately.

Edited 1642117998
Doug E. said: The Dynamic Lighting Portal links in the first post of this thread give a 404 error . Not sure if this is a known problem. I wanted to see what was going on with the Devs regarding fixes for UDL. Namely, light sources emitting black instead of light (seemed to be related to Nightvision - nocturnal or normal, as changing it to dimming fixes it). Also, overlapping light sources or nightvision making everything way too bright . And it would be awesome to be able to use Explorer mode again. I reported in this thread on 15th November, but I noticed today that it is still an issue, and they haven't even just removed the link.
Just posting this here incase no one else has, to help with the incredible degrees of lag UDL can produce. Take vision off all your NPCs. If you know what their vision is you really don't need to bother with it, because it legitimately is a massive factor in how much of your gpu is being used.
Night Vision tints overlapping in GM view. When I have multiple tokens with night vision next to each other the night vision tints overlap and everything turns red. with CTRL+L it looks to be working properly from the player perspective but as the GM it is really distracting that everything is painted red. Is this how it is supposed to work? or is this a bug? Is there a way to use nocturnal tints without painting my screen red? GM view Player view
While playing tonight, 2 of my players were seeing strange black shapes covering large portions of the map. It looked like VBL stuff on their screen but other player wasn't having issue and when I viewed from their token vision, I couldn't see it.. there was no Dynamic Lighting shapes on the map. player view: and my view from their tokens: Any ideas?&nbsp; we have reloaded the map, refreshed all pages, reloaded roll20.. etc
Doug E. said: I wanted to see what was going on with the Devs regarding fixes for UDL. Namely, light sources emitting black instead of light (seemed to be related to Nightvision - nocturnal or normal, as changing it to dimming fixes it). This could be because you're using an API to set vision / lighting - there is a known issue for such cases you need to open the token settings and save (no changes required) to fix the issue.
Sir Scruggins and Ryker M - we use UDL with Explorer Mode (now) because I put roofs on the map layer but building interiors on the token layer for that immersive wow, so not just basic use of the system.&nbsp; We find we have absolutely no problem with lag or any of the other reported faults as long as there are (in our case) less than 15 tokens with vision on (Tony Hart anyone...).&nbsp;&nbsp; I have to be sure to cull copied tokens when shifting from map to map but otherwise it is OK. Night vision with a tint works for the players and they absolutely love it (we go for greyish), but for me as DM I get a similar effect as you show above, though in our case because of the tint chosen I get a very bright screen.&nbsp; I can just about work with it and so am persevering because my players love it so much, but it is a known fault.&nbsp; Hoping they fix it soon because for us this system works a dream otherwise.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is true. Tints for lighting and vision do not mix well.
Thanks the update. I changed the tint to red so it showed up in the picture. Like you said when you use grey it's all white which is manageable. Was wondering if there was a work around I didn't know about. Too bad there is no way to make the tints not visible to the GM.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In any case, it's a good idea to turn vision off on all NPCs. Overlapping darkvision from a dozen goblins is pretty much unreadable.
keithcurtis said: In any case, it's a good idea to turn vision off on all NPCs. Overlapping darkvision from a dozen goblins is pretty much unreadable. is there a way to DEFAULT turn off UDL Vision&nbsp; on new tokens dragged from compendium ?&nbsp; i.e.&nbsp; dragging from the monsters manual. the game is already setup and underway if that changes anything
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sure. Change it in your Campaign settings page: Note that this will change existing tokens on the page, and any subsequent compendium drags, but will not affect previously saved default tokens that are already in your journal. Go to the&nbsp;Campaign Settings Page Turn vision off in the Dynamic Lighting Tab of the Default Token Settings (if it is already off, you may need to toggle it, save and repeat to make sure that a change has been registered) Save Load (or reload) your game Go to the settings tab on the right and look under Miscellaneous, where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Token vision settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve.&nbsp;There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar.
I think I tried that first. It was a PC token dragged to the map with the vision settings already set (albeit with the API).&nbsp; I am aware of this bug. But it seems I had to actually change a setting. I dunno, I don't remember. It doesn't always happen. The same player has the problem of the entire map revealed during the game.&nbsp; MykeMyke said: Doug E. said: I wanted to see what was going on with the Devs regarding fixes for UDL. Namely, light sources emitting black instead of light (seemed to be related to Nightvision - nocturnal or normal, as changing it to dimming fixes it). This could be because you're using an API to set vision / lighting - there is a known issue for such cases you need to open the token settings and save (no changes required) to fix the issue.
Used DL briefly a couple of years ago and now I’m back. I don’t have a ton of experience DMing in roll20. &nbsp; I have a PLUS subscription, so I should have access to DL. I turned it on for a particular page. But once I load the page itself, the DL option will NOT stay highlighted in the area when one chooses “Map &amp; Background” or “Objects &amp; Tokens,” etc. &nbsp; I have NO idea why this is happening. I tried this with multiple pages and had the same problem each time. &nbsp; Please advise. &nbsp;
Ryker M. said: Found a temporary fix for this if anyone else is having the same issue I stated above. Use this set up and you'll have lower lag along with not losing sight on any tokens by the looks of it so far, though I'll have to see how well it works once I have all my players in. The only downside is that your players won't be able to see what areas they have discovered already. Some trade offs are worth it though :/. (basically just turn off explorer mode.) I have encountered this issue as well, though I did not find explorer mode to be the cause of the problem. For me, solely turning on "update when token drop" had fixed the issue, even with explorer mode on. Still sad I can't turn off "update when token drop" since it looks way better with it off.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. I'd like to see a correlation of that setting with folks who suffer the worst lag. I generally have not had an issue with DL lag, and I never turn that on. (It keeps folks from "magic eyeing" the dungeon surreptitiously, but mostly I always assumed it was overhead I didn't need).
Tom C. said: Used DL briefly a couple of years ago and now I’m back. I don’t have a ton of experience DMing in roll20. &nbsp; I have a PLUS subscription, so I should have access to DL. I turned it on for a particular page. But once I load the page itself, the DL option will NOT stay highlighted in the area when one chooses “Map &amp; Background” or “Objects &amp; Tokens,” etc. &nbsp; I have NO idea why this is happening. I tried this with multiple pages and had the same problem each time. &nbsp; Please advise. &nbsp; Thats been a bug forever. &nbsp;If you don’t see any layers highlighted, you’re on the dynamic lighting layer.
I always use Update Token On Drop and lag so badly I’ve switched to AboveVTT for the time being…
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well, shoot.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Most people I have talked to about lag and performance issues with Dynamic Lighting have had success by checking their Hardware Acceleration settings. Hardware Acceleration is on by default for both Chrome and Firefox. For Chrome open Settings&nbsp;and make sure "Use hardware acceleration when available" is toggled to "on" For Firefox open Settings, scroll to "Performance" and make sure "Use recommended performance settings" is checked

Edited 1643232745
Titus
Plus
I feel like I’ve checked that already but will look again. Thanks. But although I know iPads aren’t officially supported I used to be able to open maps on it. Now if DL is on it won’t open the map; just keeps cycling loading messages…
You know - if we're going to recognize that lag exists and is a thing people are experiencing, it's probably important to define it and differentiating it. - Games with a number of sheets take a while to log into these days.&nbsp; - Character sheets seem to take a good 10-15 seconds to open now. Both of these things are annoying and are not especially related to our machines, browser settings, the assets in our games, etc. - Sometimes the UI is super laggy because it's swamping the resources on our machines.&nbsp; This makes everything slow, you push a button you drag a token, you switch tabs, you open a menu, etc everything just happens a half second, 2 seconds, 5 seconds after you do the action and it's super frustrating. --- It's using a lot of processor.&nbsp; Smaller maps help.&nbsp; Turning off various UDL features helps.&nbsp; Having hardware acceleration off is the worst.&nbsp; Fewer lines and tokens with vision helps.&nbsp; Some API scripts are bad.&nbsp; This is also where you'll see issues with browser plug-ins and form fills.&nbsp;&nbsp; --- If it's a lot of RAM - maybe reducing the assets in the game would help.&nbsp; It would be nice to have recommendations on what assets cause problems and what don't and what numbers are considered reasonable.&nbsp; The modules that Roll20 sells contain quite a number of maps and characters.&nbsp; Are these pushing the line already?&nbsp; Could we have a way to archive things that keeps them out of memory but keeps us from having to shuffle stuff between games? - Sometimes there's lag doing Roll20 stuff.&nbsp; You click a roll and it takes 20 seconds to return, fx show up like 2 minutes after triggered, map assets take a long time to load. - Sometimes there is lag between players.&nbsp; A player moves their token and the rest of the players don't see where they've moved until a good 30 seconds later. All of this is just unpleasant and gets lumped in as "Roll20 is *so* slow today!"&nbsp; But I think it's important to look at it more carefully.&nbsp; Futzing with browser settings isn't going to help everyone complaining that they have to sit around for 20 seconds waiting for me to open the character sheet on that NPC that was just forced to make an insight check.
This all seems like a whole lot to do just to play a game that was played with a few dice, a piece of paper and some imagination. Its kinda like owning a motorcycle, you beter like fixin them more than riding them. Lol
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Sean G. said: You know - if we're going to recognize that lag exists and is a thing people are experiencing, it's probably important to define it and differentiating it. This is a really good point, and one of the reasons why Roll20 Staff often ask for requests to be submitted to the Help Center. That submission process helps identify the specific kind of problem users are experiencing. "Sometimes the UI is super laggy" or "A player moves their token and the rest of the players don't see where they've moved until a good 30 seconds later." These are the kinds of problems associated with Hardware Acceleration being off for Pages with Dynamic Lighting. The kinds of problems that are not caused by Dynamic Lighting are: "Games with a number of sheets take a while to log into these days." "Character sheets seem to take a good 10-15 seconds to open now." You click a roll and it takes 20 seconds to return map assets take a long time to load
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It might be helpful to add a section on the Help Center page for Optimizing Roll20 Performance . Most of that info is there already, but it might be useful to list it in opposite order: Symptom &gt; Solution , rather than Best Practice &gt; Problem this solves . Either a section on that page, or a "Lag" page of its own. Lag is a common complaint, yet searching "lag" on the help center doesn't lead to an overall lag help area.

Edited 1643579560
This is fun: Create a new game Join this game with an auxiliary account in a different browser to make this easier to see as you change things. On the start page, turn on dynamic lighting. Add a token (lets say an alligator) to the map. Edit the Alligator token Give control to aux account Turn on vision Turn on Night Vision (lets go with 30 ft) Place another token on the map (a bison this time) Edit the Bison Token Turn on Vision Turn on Night Vision (lets go with 5ft) Tint the Night Vision (lets try Red) At this point - everything is good. The aux player controlling the alligator sees this: Now for some fun. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 8. Edit the Bison token so that it starts emitting light (lets go low light - 5ft) Looks OK as the GM, but the aux player controlling the alligator now sees this - the bison appears to be emitting darkness: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 9. Edit the Bison token so that it starts emitting bright light as well (5ft ft here) Now we get a donut! &nbsp; &nbsp; 10. Switch the Alligator's Night Vision to nocturnal Yup - that's all working fine.
Playing this last weekend I noticed a significant falloff in night vision range.&nbsp; Used to be 60 feet of darkvision actually got you 60 feet at the edge of which you could just see things.&nbsp; Here is the GM view of the setup to demonstrate: "Nox" is my Darkvision test token, and 60 feet away just under the map toolbar is the Xvart target. Here is the player view with 60 feet of Night Vision and no special effects: The tape measure shows the range of vision to be 53 feet.&nbsp; It gets worse when you go to Nocturnal: The range of vision drops to 50 feet (I didn't try playing around with "Dimming" since that would add an additional variable in the form of the Dimming Distance).&nbsp; To make the Xvart just visible with no Night Vision effects, I have to increase the range to 66 feet: For the "Nocturnal" setting, I have to bump it all the way up to 72 feet to get 60 feet of actual visibility: and even at that you're just able to make out the health bar and not the actual image.&nbsp; I'm not looking forward to having the GM recalibrate all of my tokens.&nbsp; I've tried playing with the brightness on the monitor but it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Edited 1643694326
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: Playing this last weekend I noticed a significant falloff in night vision range.&nbsp; Used to be 60 feet of darkvision actually got you 60 feet at the edge of which you could just see things. &lt;snip&gt; Here's part of the problem that you're running into: The red line is 60ft.&nbsp; There's no perfect place to start dimming because whether it's too close or too far depends on the angle you're measuring.
So if I make a change on the Campaign Settings Page, it doesn't actually do anything unless I also enter the game and hit another button? If so, that seems like a bit of a(n easily changeable) design flaw. keithcurtis said: Sure. Change it in your Campaign settings page: Note that this will change existing tokens on the page, and any subsequent compendium drags, but will not affect previously saved default tokens that are already in your journal. Go to the&nbsp;Campaign Settings Page Turn vision off in the Dynamic Lighting Tab of the Default Token Settings (if it is already off, you may need to toggle it, save and repeat to make sure that a change has been registered) Save Load (or reload) your game Go to the settings tab on the right and look under Miscellaneous, where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Token vision settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve.&nbsp;There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Kevin B. said: So if I make a change on the Campaign Settings Page, it doesn't actually do anything unless I also enter the game and hit another button? If so, that seems like a bit of a(n easily changeable) design flaw. Not quite. Changing a default on the game page means "make all new stuff I create follow these rules." The in-game button means "change all the stuff I have already made to follow these rules". Unless a game is active, the material in it cannot generally be edited. There are exceptions (adding and removing addons for example). Also note that neither of these things affects a saved default token, just stuff in play.
I'm not sure the red hexagon is really the issue because I was using Euclidean distance measurements to place the Xvart at a true distance of 60 feet from Nox (essentially, at the intersection of the vision circle and the red hex just below going due left from the character; observe in the first image that the xvart is not aligned with the hex grid).&nbsp; Also, the amount of error shown in your illustration is substantially smaller than what I was observing.&nbsp; Was your illustration made using Night Vision or by having your token emit light?&nbsp; This may (apologies) shed some light on the true nature of the problem.

Edited 1643857090
Bill (Do Not Kill) said: I'm not sure the red hexagon is really the issue because I was using Euclidean distance measurements to place the Xvart at a true distance of 60 feet from Nox (essentially, at the intersection of the vision circle and the red hex just below going due left from the character; observe in the first image that the xvart is not aligned with the hex grid).&nbsp; Also, the amount of error shown in your illustration is substantially smaller than what I was observing.&nbsp; Was your illustration made using Night Vision or by having your token emit light?&nbsp; This may (apologies) shed some light on the true nature of the problem. So 60ft of dark vision and 60ft of light is the same.&nbsp; You'd get the same if you just do a 60ft aura.&nbsp; Light vs vision is not affecting things. The nocturnal night vision in darkness is essentially equivalent to night vision with dimming starting at 0 ft.&nbsp; It gets very dark by the time you get to the edges and the effective useful distance is much less than the full 60ft.&nbsp; Especially if you've enabled explorer mode and the tokens become transparent at range as well.&nbsp; This is atmospheric and looks nice and is presumably a design choice.&nbsp; It's probably a bad one - as presumably the people who choose to use nocturnal are using it because knowing exactly what's in bright vs dim vs no light is important in their games. But then - additionally - you have issues with Euclidian distances and the grid.&nbsp; What you've discovered isn't a lighting problem - it's just a geometry problem with the way they've chosen to implement their grid. All three of these have a token with a 60ft aura.&nbsp; The red line is 60ft hex path/5e distance. They've decided to make their 60ft circles about 52ft on a horizontal hex grid and about 55ft on a vertical one.&nbsp; Presumably because if they made them&nbsp; actually 60ft people would complain about their players being able to see farther than they should.&nbsp; This cuts off the corners and is equivalent to the square grid. The fact that vertical and horizontal are scaled differently is odd.&nbsp; If I had to guess those were probably both "fixed" arbitrarily at different times by different people.&nbsp; The horizontal one is probably what they actually want it to be, but I think I like the vertical one better.

Edited 1643861429
None of the "dimming" night vision distances work quite how I'd want. For 60ft of night vision - on a map in pitch darkness, I'd want to set the dimming start to 5ish.&nbsp; You get a nice fade out to blackness but don't lose the edges too much. But on a map with low light, it needs to fade around more like 50, otherwise you can't tell where your bright light to low light transition is.&nbsp; And I don't want to futz with everyone's tokens every time depending on how a map is lit. Nocturnal does *almost* what I want - but that bright to dim line is just so abrupt. I would love a mode that is like nocturnal but has a 5 ft bright to dim transition. And presumably there are also people would love a mode like nocturnal but that doesn't do dimming at all because they care about rules and stuff. Edit: Essentially, I want an option that does the circled stuff.&nbsp; And nocturnal isn't quite it.
Oh, that's just worse.&nbsp; Auras/Light/Vision should always just be true distance independent of the grid style.&nbsp; Distances straight across the flats of a line of hexes are always true distance, just like going straight across a row of squares.&nbsp; I hate using squares for movement because of the diagonal problem.

Edited 1644090992
Styx
Pro
UPDATE: Just worked out why - it's the tint for the player token that's messing it up. My last game had a Fire Genasi so I'd set Red Tint for his vision without realising this was bugged. UPDATE 2: Sorry, nope, this didn't fix it for the page with the issue, I thought it was fixed because I was looking at another page where it was working. The page with the issue is an Addon from Marketplace, but I did convert lighting too. Oh well. UPDATE 3: It appears toggling on LDL then turning it back off again fixed the issue with marketplace maps setup with LDL Hey all, I have a game starting tomorrow and was doing some last minute updates for spawning light sources like Candles, Torches etc with SpawnDefaultToken. However, on a map using UDL, these token are emitting black light which is completely the opposite of what was intended. Here are my settings: Page Settings Player Settings CTRL+L View with no light source working as intended... Candle Settings GM View of Area hmm... shouldn't be darker CTRL+L view with light source yep, definitely broken Sorry if this has been posted before, I'm about to go to bed and my game starts not long after I wake up, so this was a quick post to share and hopefully get ideas on how to fix
Switching back to legacy lighting removed all the weird problems i had.
We switched over from LDL to UDL in both my Frostmaiden campaigns back in May 2021. Had no problems with lag at all but still experienced the 'emitting black light' interaction with Nightvision , and occasionally, a player would see everything. Only one player, and always the same player, would see everything at random times and attributed this to his laptop or slow internet. Opening and saving the tokens that emitted light, or the tokens with Nightvision would often fix the 'black light' problem . Sometimes I would need to change their default Nightvision Nocturnal setting to something else to fix the black light. But not all players had problems even though their Nightvision settings were identical to the other player's token that was having issues. As reports came in where turning off Explorer mode can fix things, and not using Tinted Nightvision or Coloured emitted light, I did that and that seemed to make things better. Overall, our experience has been generally good, but we are waiting for the reported issues to get fixed. However, in the last month or so , we were noticing considerable lag , even with small maps, to the point where I would select a token and it would literally take 1-2 seconds for each radial bubble to pop out . My Wednesday game is so bad (they are on a rather large map) that sheets and handouts take noticeable time to open, so I had to turn off DL altogether and use Fog of War , manually revealing the map. For the next session I copied the map and converted it to LDL . We tried it and still there was lag . It was not as bad as with UDL, but one or two players felt it was still unplayable so I moved the player ribbon back to the manual fog of war page and all is good. Nothing has changed on my end , other than Chrome updates, Windows 10 updates, and Roll20 updates. I've done all the steps in troubleshooting, yet the lag grows worse .
As a player in a long-running campaign, I have also noticed lag growing worse in the weekly game.&nbsp; I have worked with many LDL and UDL issues in the past in games I have run, so the GM of this game sometimes asks for advice.&nbsp; I offer what tidbits I can, as I do not have direct control, or ability to see settings.&nbsp;&nbsp; As I mentioned, lag has gotten progressively worse recently.&nbsp; I suggested to the GM to migrate the game to a fresh instance.&nbsp; Start a new game,&nbsp; import the current characters, and only what handouts, maps, tokens, etc were needed.&nbsp; That suggestion has not been implemented yet, so I can't testify as to whether it will help in this instance.&nbsp; I know in past times that 'game bloat' on a long-running game has bogged things down and starting a new game with fewer assets has helped general lag, that may not be directly related to Lighting.&nbsp;&nbsp; In particular,&nbsp; I suggested this particular tactic to the current GM because I noticed the lag even when the "Player Page" was just on a small size page with some background images, no lighting effects, and only 3 tokens.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I've been now playing for a year using de UDL, and had given up Explorer Mode due to the inumerous problems everybody else already reported.&nbsp; This week I decided to give another try. Bad call. While in preparation of the map, everything was fine. When in play, apart from many lags for every player,&nbsp;another thing that I haven't seen before happened: the TURN tool went crazy. I had added turns for tokens in two different pages. Usually that works fine for the players. I, as GM, can see tokens from both pages on the Turn Tool, but the players only see the tokens from the pages that they are at. Ok. But not this time. Not only it wasn't showing the token turns for my players (I could seem them as if they were in GM Layer - they were not) but the players could see the tokens from the other page on the Turn Tool. Like, they were fighting orcs and could see the mercenaries they would have to face latter on. Also when we put the mouse over it it didn't mark the token on the map. Very strange. After the game, I checked that solo, and the problem was still there. I turn off UDL and had to delete and re-add turns for every token. Now it seems fine again. I won't try Explorer Mode again for this map, cause having strange bugs happening during play is so unsatisfying =( Last thing, since I'm already here, I'd like to suggest that the Turn Tool only showed the tokens of the actual page for the GM as well. Thanks.