Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dark Mode (Roll20 so bright!)

So I got all excited this was coming.  No dates.  I'm this close to pull the plug for this simple feature... Can I PLEASE be alpha testet or something. 
+1 Please it's been so long I've been thinking about switching purely because I rather not have headaches during every session of dnd.
+1
gotta add my +1  I have a player with contrast blindness. Currently they are using add ons for their browsers but all of these have glitches and are prone to being abandoned/removed/breaking. This is a fundamental accessibility issue.
+1
I'm about to pull the trigger on getting the subscription here but the lack of a dark mode is really putting me off. Just your main site alone could easily have it's style sheets swapped for a darker set of css. I understand the internal game system area is difficult to implement but it could be done as well.
+1
actually embarassing to tell people I use roll20. Dark mode has been in development for what, 3 years?
How is there still not a dark mode... its 2022....
+1
would love a dark mode so muuuuuuch
also voting for Dark mode
A sepia text mode would be less harsh and thematic too. Gets my vote.
Stylus has made me a very happy camper until such time as the site is updated
Beeing annoying as hell. It's beeing 3 years.   3 years that it has been raised. And they prioritezed tons of other stuff, instead of something that people actually NEED and end up having to risk using extensions or monkey scripts to be able to have the site not shine like the sun in our eyes.
+1
You (Roll20) tried real hard in your email that came out today but failed with your color contrast. You can't read any of the black text next to the pink text. But it is a step in the right direction. 

Edited 1642194225
+1 Give us dark mode !!!! I'm wearing sunglasses right now !!
+1
up vote dark mode
+1
Dark mode dark mode please! For my eyes!
Please yes. I have light sensitivity issues and have to wear dark sunglasses while playing. A dark mode would be such a delight and would cut down on light induced headaches for me.
Dark mode is now viewable on the Dev server! It's a work in progress but we couldn't wait to share it. It will be finished by the end of the month and available to all users. Read the release notes for details!
FREEDOM FROM RETINA DAMAGE, FINALLY. Thank you Bianca you wonderful goblin
Gold
Forum Champion
Is Dark Mode for the Roll20 website (Homepage, Community Forum, Looking For Group search) , or is it only for the VTT (chat room, toolbars) ? Will Dark Mode work on Handouts in the VTT? I read that Character Sheets will be "able" to support Dark Mode but won't automatically have this benefit until re-coded to implement it. Bianca said: Dark mode is now viewable on the Dev server! It's a work in progress but we couldn't wait to share it. It will be finished by the end of the month and available to all users. Read the release notes for details!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Gold said: Is Dark Mode for the Roll20 website (Homepage, Community Forum, Looking For Group search) , or is it only for the VTT (chat room, toolbars) ? Will Dark Mode work on Handouts in the VTT? I read that Character Sheets will be "able" to support Dark Mode but won't automatically have this benefit until re-coded to implement it. Right now, the toggle is in-game below the tool bar, so it is just the vtt for now.  It does affect handouts, which may or may not mess with the look of images in the handouts (a bunch of the images I have used have a white background to blend in with the white handouts).  Right now there seems to be an issue with it somehow washing out the text of roll templates that have white or gray backgrounds behind the text/rolls.  Since it affects the default template, I am assuming that will be handled before hitting the production server.  My sheets have a background color set for the main body of the sheet, so I don't know how it might affect ones that don't.  I can say that so far it doesn't seem to be changing the overall sheet framework color (the Bio & Info, Character Sheet, and Attributes & Abilities tabs and border are all still white).
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
If you use the Stylus browser plugin, you can try out my dark mode for the site , as a compliment for the in-game dark mode. Did some updating on it today.

Edited 1644261945
Bianca said: Dark mode is now viewable on the Dev server! It's a work in progress but we couldn't wait to share it. It will be finished by the end of the month and available to all users. Read the release notes for details! Personally, I've never been bothered by Roll20's default light mode, either in or outside the gamespace, because generally I play at a desktop in well lit rooms with bright, indirect lighting. People shouldn't use a computer for long periods of time in a dark room; this strains the eyes. Bright, even lighting is best. My unsolicited advice aside, the dark mode seems to work as advertised in the gamespace on the dev server. I suppose some may be disappointed that you can't turn the entire site dark but the gamespace is a good start!
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Color theme options are launching with support specifically in the Virtual Tabletop. This will include Handouts and definitely Roll20's 5e sheet. Pathfinder Second Edition and Call of Cthulhu already have support with their existing designs.  The Grid lines and background color is determined by the GM in Page Settings, so we're not touching that programmatically. We're releasing the options for the VTT as soon as it's ready, and we don't have works scheduled dates set for other areas of Roll20. However, the team is designing new features and updates to existing interfaces with both color schemes in mind. We have an update rolling out to the Dev Server Virtual Tabletop right now, and another later this week.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We released another update to the Dev Server this afternoon. A major component is the method for supporting the switch for Character Sheets. Details for the Sheet Authors are available over here.
Gold
Forum Champion
Kenton, is there the intention (or a time table) for Color Theme options / Dark Mode, for Roll20 Homepage - Community Forums - Join a Group - Marketplace?
All I can say is THANK YOU 1,000x.  I just tested it out and it looked great and worked great.  I loved the color choices.  (I like purple.)
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We are rolling dark mode out in other places, and we're designing new interfaces with both light and dark from the start. We don't have a timeline on the next views and pages. 

Edited 1644883841
Gold
Forum Champion
Kenton, I'm asking specifically about the Home Page and the Community Forums. (?) It's not clear if those places fit into such generalized terms as "other places" or "new interfaces" or "next views and pages". New interfaces presumably refers to Roll20's 5E-Only mobile app, and that is not what I'm asking about at all. This Suggestion thread predates the app. Can you please specifically answer whether & when Roll20 is planning to implement the dark mode option for Roll20 Community Forum ? It's a straight-forward question, that people have been asking for years on here.  If the answer is "Yes we are rolling out Dark Mode to Roll20 website but we don't have a timeline", that would be important for the users asking in here to know.  If the answer is "No, the website header will remain white background" that's also consequential for me. Kenton said: We are rolling dark mode out in other places, and we're designing new interfaces with both light and dark from the start. We don't have a timeline on the next views and pages. 
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Gold, yes, our plans are to continue adding dark theme UI to the community forums. This includes high traffic areas beyond the Virtual Tabletop like: /welcome ->  /campaigns/search /campaigns/new/  -> Campaign Details -> Campaign Settings Tools (like Audio Library , Character Vault and Token Marker Library ) Additionally, as we plan new features, we're already designing new user interfaces with both color modes from the outset. There are no timelines ready to share on anything outside of the Virtual Tabletop. As we solidify release dates, we'll definitely share the details. Updates will be released in iterations, likely grouped in sets like I've arranged them above. We'll continue to use the Dev Server to preview work before launch.  The Virtual Tabletop was the first to address due to the high usage and prolonged view times. We'll continue to work through the user interfaces over time, prioritizing the pages with the highest impact and with lower complexity.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hello all - We've released more updates to the Dev server with additional improvements, including the Handout windows, Character Sheet windows, the Compendium section in the right sidebar, items in the Tool box, default roll templates, and many other details throughout the Virtual Tabletop. Updates to the D&D 5e sheet will be pushed next week, and at that point we will have a candidate for release in testing. I expect to be report back with release date next week. Details for Sheet Authors for interested in adding dark UI option to their own sheets can be found here .
Please move the dark mode control to the Settings: Personalization and Display area.  This control will be seldom used and does not warrant taking up valuable table top space.
Good job on darkmode in game, can you make a forum one next its way brighter XD
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Kenton said: ... There are no timelines ready to share on anything outside of the Virtual Tabletop. As we solidify release dates, we'll definitely share the details. Updates will be released in iterations, likely grouped in sets like I've arranged them above. We'll continue to use the Dev Server to preview work before launch.  ... This brings up something I experienced (and am still experiencing) - there is no Dev Server for non-VTT features, such as dark mode on community forums, or in my case the changes to token/map/other asset listings going from all-at-once to iterative-loading-with-no-loading-indicator, leading me to think that all of my assets had been deleted.  Is there a place to test non-VTT features before release, to prevent the problems we experienced with the asset library outside of VTT? Are there plans to model accounts that aren't simple accounts or new, non-pro accounts as part of this modeling and testing? 
Rodger Da DM said: Please move the dark mode control to the Settings: Personalization and Display area.  This control will be seldom used and does not warrant taking up valuable table top space. I agree.
Would love an option to hide the toggle in the options menu, or to move the toggle off the page and into the menu.  Feels kind of pointless to have a button clogging up the play screen that you'll only use a few times a year!
I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions to move the dark mode toggle, it's just in such an inconvenient spot, too. As for wanting to keep everyone informed that the dark mode has been added as an option - a notification would have done the trick.
More screen clutter. Pretty bonkers they didn't think to throw it in the settings tab. Alas, I am also grateful the deed has finally been done and we have darkmode.
Thank you for finally adding a darkmode.It still needs some work, though. Using it on my Thursday dnd5e game it was pretty buggy, one of my fellow players is multicalssed, and his hit dice box is just a huge white spot still, in one of his other games as well. In the chat it often hid damage numbers of my spells, and the red for the abilities on the core page is still rather bright. The font is different, and some of the boxes are very badly cropped/ overspill onto the rest of the character sheet.

Edited 1646611483
Yooo, dark mode good, goooo. But one visual tweak we could do to improve it super quick and easy is to style the scroll bars a bit. Here's an example with some CSS that works for both day and night mode by taking advantage of transparency. Most browsers support this, and those that don't won't suffer a detriment they don't already. I'm sure my placement nudge of the burger isn't how the Roll20 team would approach that, and my quick and dirty approach may style some scrollbars that I did not intend to style in a negative way (though I have not noticed as such, yet) but it's a nice proof of concept. In the meantime, if you happen to run a browser extension that lets you run your own CSS on the app.roll20.net/editor/ urls, here's the code in copy pasteable form. /* Width */ ::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 8px; height: 8px; } /* Track */ ::-webkit-scrollbar-track { background: #80808080; border-radius:4px; } /* Handle */ ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background: #80808080; border-radius:4px; } /* Handle On Hover */ ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb:hover { background: #808080bf; } /* Corner */ ::-webkit-scrollbar-corner { background: #80808000; border-radius:4px; } /* Hamburger Placement */ #sidebarcontrol { margin-right:-8px; }

Edited 1646625483
Gold
Forum Champion
Do Community Forums at the URL:&nbsp; /welcome &nbsp;-&gt;&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/</a> When Kenton say "will be released in iterations, likely grouped in sets like I've arranged them above", I will be excited to see the URL of the FORUM in that hierarchy.
Please, please, please get the Dark Mode switch OFF of the tabletop and into the settings panel where it belongs
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Nigel said: Please, please, please get the Dark Mode switch OFF of the tabletop and into the settings panel where it belongs <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10728562/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/10728562/</a>
Also would very much like the dark mode setting to be in the settings, not the main area.&nbsp; I would also like it to remember my settings since it is re-enabled every time I log in.