Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dark Mode (Roll20 so bright!)

Still some issues with Roll20 dark mode. When dark mode is off, there is an x to close playlists in the Jukebox tab. When Dark Mode is on, the x is nearly invisible.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hello all - As many of you know by now, last week we made the Virtual Tabletop dark theme option available to all users, as well as a dark theme for the D&D 5e Character Sheet by Roll20. Since that time, we've made improvements to both the VTT and Character Sheet, and we're working on more changes to handle the editable text areas specifically. A few notes about the Virtual Tabletop and dark mode: Text in Character Sheets and Handouts, including text color, can be formatted by Players, GMs, and Marketplace Creators. We can swap the default color for text when Dark Mode is enabled. However, If someone chooses a text color other than the default, we will show the text color they have specifically chosen. Roll20 has dark themes for the official sheets for D&D 5e, Pathfinder Second Ed., Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition. Character Sheet Authors can update their sheets with mode switching . Roll templates, API Scripts, and Macro results can be updated to have optional themes using the same method linked in the previous bullet. There's years and years of community content and your own text that's been added without the need to think about a dark mode, so we put the switch plainly with the other tools so that you can switch when you need to, with as little fuss as possible. There's work happening right now to bring a dark theme to most other areas of the site. Those parts of the site that exist on the Dev Server will get an update when that's possible.

Edited 1646753897
is there any stylus code that can be used to temporarily hide the dark mode switch? edit: Worked it out myself, .dark-mode-switch { display: none !important; }
Thanks for posting the edit. The giant switch sitting on my desktop was bugging me.   
the text is very dim in spell descriptions as a light grey over black backounds. is there a fix ? adjustment 
Is the Code for the Sandbox Sheet different then whats live cause my changes look different then when its in a live game?
As someone who plays text-based games, this is the feature of Roll20 I've wanted to see realized the most. Great to see it being worked on! That said... I had to toggle it back off within seconds. A few of the font color choices are more eye-straining than the default bright white. For the love of games, please change the font color for emotes (in dark mode) from dark brown to perhaps a brighter shade of orange or orange brown that stands out more. Basic color theory will tell you that brown letters against a black background does not work. I also do not understand why the font type on character sheets changes, but only in some areas. Why? Just a dark mode/color shift would be perfect, no extra frills necessary and the default font is more legible. This feedback is minor and rather nitpicky though. As others have pointed out already, certain UI elements like the scrollbars also remain white. But I imagine this will get updated when the site as a whole gets a dark mode feature? That would make sense. Despite it still being a bit of a work in progress, thank you. Once the kinks are sorted out, this feature will be always on for me.
Unsure if this has been directly addressed but I do see that there are a number of concerns with font and background colors while in dark mode. My issue is that I use macros for die rolls. In regular mode the roles have a yellow background and black fonts for the role. In dark mode the background is still yellow but the font for the role is white making it impossible to read. One must depend on the tooltip to figure out what the end number was.  I've not been able to figure out a way to change either the background color or the text color. Can this be done on my end (if so, how) or is this a change needed by the devs? 
Calvin G. said: Unsure if this has been directly addressed but I do see that there are a number of concerns with font and background colors while in dark mode. My issue is that I use macros for die rolls. In regular mode the roles have a yellow background and black fonts for the role. In dark mode the background is still yellow but the font for the role is white making it impossible to read. One must depend on the tooltip to figure out what the end number was.  I've not been able to figure out a way to change either the background color or the text color. Can this be done on my end (if so, how) or is this a change needed by the devs?  There is a Bug Thread for VTT Dark Mode. I recommend you post it there as there are many others having the same Problem you do.
I like new dark mode, but for god sake, please, some rolls on chat are not visible.
Bogurodzica said: I like new dark mode, but for god sake, please, some rolls on chat are not visible. This is well known by now. (See other Thread). But if they fix it and when... we will see!
Please remove the dark mode switch from the VTT and place it in the settings menu.
Please allow us to choose a color other than Purple for the interface. Purple is not a neutral color and does not fit the atmosphere of all games.
ScottC said: Please remove the dark mode switch from the VTT and place it in the settings menu. ^ This! ^ Also.. having it remember my preferences so I don't have to enable/disable every time I log in would be great.
ScottC said: Please remove the dark mode switch from the VTT and place it in the settings menu. +1 for this! (The MISC Group would be appropiate for this as it is otherwise empty (if you are not DM))
Teller said: Please allow us to choose a color other than Purple for the interface. Purple is not a neutral color and does not fit the atmosphere of all games. +1
Thank you so much for that bit of stylus script to hide the button, that was a much needed option, hopefully it will be done automatically at some point, but that sorts it for now.
Teller  said: Please allow us to choose a color other than Purple for the interface. Purple is not a neutral color and does not fit the atmosphere of all games. +1

Edited 1654193047
Gold
Forum Champion
Please create a "Hotkey" combination to toggle Dark Mode on/off, in conjunction with removing the Dark Mode switch from the Tabletop (map real estate). Make a Hot Key (keyboard shortcut) to toggle Dark Mode By making a Hot Key, power-users (such as A/B testing, module creators, character sheet developers) can still quickly access the Dark & Bright Modes, but everyone else who doesn't want to keep changing this setting can just set it once (under Settings menu) and forget it.
+1 for making the Dark Mode setting a hot key (or similar). Totally pointless having it always cluttering the canvas. When creating a new feature you should always ask yourself: Will this feature be very useful for most of our customers? Will this feature worsen the user experience for not-insignificant number of our customers? If the answers are Yes and No, you're good. Otherwise you should probably go back to the drawing board.
Hello folks!  We appreciate everyone's input along the way, and are excited to share that today, we have rolled out a dark mode option for the Roll20 site. You can now set your color mode preferences on our main site through your Account Settings. Please reference the Announcement for additional information on where to go to for help, where to provide feedback, and our blog post about the feature. With this release, we'll be closing out this suggestion, enabling you to contribute your votes to other features and suggestions.