Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 3.5 Sheet upgrade

Eradan said: Sean T. said: It seems the rules have changed again - in my communication with Roll20 Support, they said: Your request (97612) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email. Hello, Thanks for reaching out and I am sorry to hear that this is causing disruptions to your players and games. As it stands, our development team does not consider the sheet sufficiently unique to warrant a new version. Therefore, back to my point - if the sheet is unique enough, it gets to have it's own version - and I have been STRESSING THIS since the beginning of Hoyer's work. For your statement to be valid, your definition of unique would need to be the same as the Roll20 team's. You haven't proven that is the case yet. Now you're just talking in circles, and are not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion. 
Eradan said: There are currently 2 "ecumbrspeed30" automated fields that use the "speed" field as input. I think it would be better to make the left one into a base speed" field in which we can enter the base speed of the character, and change the "speed" field into an automated field showing the current speed (encumbrance included) so the Attributes tab shows the actual speed instead of the base speed. And, of course, a "Skin" or "Color" field near the "Eyes" and "Hair" ones. Those two don't need to be that large. The first filed is different (the same name is a mistake), it take the base speed I left the field "Speed - 9 m", to compare al values.    However there is some space so I can add the base speed, without any change from load. I know that the fields "Skin", "Color", "Eyes", "Hair" are very big, but if i reduce their size but there would be empty space.... I don't like it.... Can I add other fields?

Edited 1662573042
Sean T. said: Eradan said: Sean T. said: It seems the rules have changed again - in my communication with Roll20 Support, they said: Your request (97612) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email. Hello, Thanks for reaching out and I am sorry to hear that this is causing disruptions to your players and games. As it stands, our development team does not consider the sheet sufficiently unique to warrant a new version. Therefore, back to my point - if the sheet is unique enough, it gets to have it's own version - and I have been STRESSING THIS since the beginning of Hoyer's work. For your statement to be valid, your definition of unique would need to be the same as the Roll20 team's. You haven't proven that is the case yet. Now you're just talking in circles, and are not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion.  Not really. You need a clear definition of the word unique as used by the Roll20 dev team to know what they want. You can't just slap your own interpretation on it and call it a day. Why don't you ask them what they would consider unique? Hoyer  said: Eradan  said: There are currently 2 "ecumbrspeed30" automated fields that use the "speed" field as input. I think it would be better to make the left one into a base speed" field in which we can enter the base speed of the character, and change the "speed" field into an automated field showing the current speed (encumbrance included) so the Attributes tab shows the actual speed instead of the base speed. And, of course, a "Skin" or "Color" field near the "Eyes" and "Hair" ones. Those two don't need to be that large. The first filed is different (the same name is a mistake), it take the base speed I left the field "Speed - 9 m", to compare al values.    However there is some space so I can add the base speed, without any change from load. I know that the fields "Skin", "Color", "Eyes", "Hair" are very big, but if i reduce their size but there would be empty space.... I don't like it.... Can I add other fields? Re: Speed, there's no need to add anything. I'd simply like to have the Speed automated field on the Stats tab so I can see the current speed on a glance. There's still some space between the Initiative fields and the Speed field on the Stats tab, so simply adding a current speed field would work for me. Re: Skin field, it used to exist but doesn't anymore. Reducing the Eyes and Hair fields and adding it back would be really useful for two reasons: 1) I can improvise a basic description of a monster with it (goblins and gnolls vary in skin or fur color for example). Without it, I have to change tabs or get the Monster Manual, which slows things down a bit. 2) I run my games in Greyhawk, so I have to deal with 7 human races (Flan, Oeridan, Suel, Bakluni, Rhennee, Olman, Touv). Each one has its own skin tone and variations, and there are several regional mixes. Skin color is a clue to ancestry, which becomes a hint to the potential worshiped deities, and both are important in social encounters. I've had to tone that down since the field disappeared, and that's a problem.
Eradan said: Sean T. said: Eradan said: Sean T. said: It seems the rules have changed again - in my communication with Roll20 Support, they said: Your request (97612) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email. Hello, Thanks for reaching out and I am sorry to hear that this is causing disruptions to your players and games. As it stands, our development team does not consider the sheet sufficiently unique to warrant a new version. Therefore, back to my point - if the sheet is unique enough, it gets to have it's own version - and I have been STRESSING THIS since the beginning of Hoyer's work. For your statement to be valid, your definition of unique would need to be the same as the Roll20 team's. You haven't proven that is the case yet. Now you're just talking in circles, and are not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion.  Not really. You need a clear definition of the word unique as used by the Roll20 dev team to know what they want. You can't just slap your own interpretation on it and call it a day. Why don't you ask them what they would consider unique? Since I'm NOT the one trying to create a new character sheet, this comment is exceedingly unhelpful. You're asking me to do Hoyer's job for him. It's been clear from the beginning of Hoyer's " improvements " that he's primarily concerned with a very small group of player's needs. IF this is really a community effort, I would imagine that the first thing would have been an introduction by Hoyer to the community, what his capabilities are, and then begin a discussion of WHAT the COMMUNITY would like to see revised in the Diane P. character sheets. Then a slow progression of improvements and tweaks to achieve those goals. Instead we have a bunch of changes that players and DMs discover as they open a game and find that things are not working as they would expect - and then waste time running down what the cause might be. Despite feedback from the community, this behavior has not changed. So, it looks like the only alternative is to find another character sheet to use, and hope that Hoyer doesn't show up to start improving that one as well.
I've listed upthread the changes on the sheet, the name of the people requesting those changes when applicable, and the number of people actually opposing those changes compared to the number of people posting in this thread. You're in a minority.
Eradan said: I've listed upthread the changes on the sheet, the name of the people requesting those changes when applicable, and the number of people actually opposing those changes compared to the number of people posting in this thread. You're in a minority. This is a pretty long thread - maybe post a link?
It's the page just before this one.
Hoyer said: Doug said: I would suggest  macro's for two weapon fighting.. and flurries of blows... but if you do... TEST repeatably please! also barbarian rage macro would be nice Hi Doug, I don't know if it's possible, this section it's very complex.   However we can try. The main problem is that I do not know how to implement the  macro of  flurries of blows: when I create a monk I modify the "full attack" macro. Do you have any ideas? About the rage: in these days I'm implementing a new section and here you can manage the rage too. In general if someone ask me a new feature, then I ask him to test it with me.  no that is how i do it as well... (adjusting the full attack macro)
Jacob R.
Pro
Translator
Hi there, I have aquestion about entering skill points in the sheet. What is the Bonus field used for - I have highlighted it here: Also how is this calculation done - i.e. how does it know it's 2+Int and not say 8+Int:
I don't know for the others, but that's where I enter the human racial bonus.
This might not be the place for this... but i have found/borrowed the coding for Diana P's sheet in an older format (French version that i translated over a long 2.5 hours.. i missed a skill or two and the skills won't be in English Alphabetical order) and it is 75% working IMO... however the weapon sections and Equipment isn't 100% correct.. ( additional weapons beyond #1 show the same name and show as ARMES1, (that is a  small missed translation) so no weapon 2,3,4, etc.) and the equipment doesn't seem to tally up weights and other functions but do carry over equipment when making a game copy.)
Doug said: This might not be the place for this... but i have found/borrowed the coding for Diana P's sheet in an older format (French version that i translated over a long 2.5 hours.. i missed a skill or two and the skills won't be in English Alphabetical order) and it is 75% working IMO... however the weapon sections and Equipment isn't 100% correct.. ( additional weapons beyond #1 show the same name and show as ARMES1, (that is a  small missed translation) so no weapon 2,3,4, etc.) and the equipment doesn't seem to tally up weights and other functions but do carry over equipment when making a game copy.) Hi Doug, if you want the old version of the sheet, the official one, i can give you; on github there are all versions.
Jacob R. said: Hi there, I have aquestion about entering skill points in the sheet. What is the Bonus field used for - I have highlighted it here: Also how is this calculation done - i.e. how does it know it's 2+Int and not say 8+Int: Hi Jacob, this is my fault: I forgot to add the calculation of the Skill Points, give me some days and I'll fix it.
Jacob R.
Pro
Translator
Hi there, I hope you can help me with a problem I'm having with the spells. It's as if the casterlevel isn't picked up by the spell macro. I have an arcane caster, and caster level is set to 2 as seen here: This is the spell macro: &amp;{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{spellflag=true}} {{name=@{selected|token_name} }} {{subtags=casts [Expeditious Retreat](<a href="http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Expeditious_Retreat" rel="nofollow">http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Expeditious_Retreat</a>) }} {{School:=Trans}} {{Level:= Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1}} {{Comp:=V, S}} {{Cast Time:= 1 std action}} {{Range:= Personal }} {{Target:= You }} {{Dur:= [[@{selected|casterlevel}]] minute(s) (D)}} {{Save:= None }} {{SR:= No }} {{notes= Your base land speed increases by 30 feet. (This adjustment is treated as an enhancement bonus.) There is no effect on other modes of movement, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim, but this spell does affect your jumping distance (see the Jump skill, PHB p.77). PHB p.228}} No the duration:&nbsp; {{Dur:= [[@{selected|casterlevel}]] minute(s) (D)}} With caster level set to 2, it should be 2 minutes. But the output is: I am unsure if I am doing something wrong, or if it's a bug in the sheet?
I don't usually use the 'selected' part in the spell macros, so&nbsp; {{name=@{selected|token_name} }} becomes &nbsp; {{name=@{character_name} }} et&nbsp; {{Dur:= [[@{selected|casterlevel}]] minute(s) (D)}} becomes &nbsp;{{Dur:= [[@{casterlevel}]] minutes (D)}}.
It's been a long time since I've come to check your conversations, so i will try to read everything another time. For now, i wanted to share a bit of a problem I'm having and to see if it is a bug or I'm doing something wrong: If i take this part out of the " weapon1crit " box , the " Single Attack and Damage " and " Full Attack " buttons stop working. I just wanted to erase it so it didn't prop the window every single time it attacks (less clicks, faster playing). But if i erase that line, then nothing comes up in chat.&nbsp; The problem does not happen if I erase it from " weapon1attackcalc " or the " weapon1damage " boxes

Edited 1668035786
Hoyer said: Jacob R. said: Hi there, I have aquestion about entering skill points in the sheet. What is the Bonus field used for - I have highlighted it here: Also how is this calculation done - i.e. how does it know it's 2+Int and not say 8+Int: Hi Jacob, this is my fault: I forgot to add the calculation of the Skill Points, give me some days and I'll fix it. Hi Jacob, I have to complete my response: the filed "Bonus" is a free text field because it's not easy calculate all bonus, for example the base bonus is provided by int, but if you are human you have a +1, if you have the feat&nbsp;Nymph's Kiss you have another +1; the filed "S.P. tot." is now calculated as HD* (SP/Level+Bonus) = SP Total, however you can overwrite the value I sent the request to release this change in a few days it'll be online, you can test it on the&nbsp; Test sheet

Edited 1668035741
sandman said: It's been a long time since I've come to check your conversations, so i will try to read everything another time. For now, i wanted to share a bit of a problem I'm having and to see if it is a bug or I'm doing something wrong: If i take this part out of the " weapon1crit " box , the " Single Attack and Damage " and " Full Attack " buttons stop working. I just wanted to erase it so it didn't prop the window every single time it attacks (less clicks, faster playing). But if i erase that line, then nothing comes up in chat.&nbsp; The problem does not happen if I erase it from " weapon1attackcalc " or the " weapon1damage " boxes Hi Sandman, this is a simple error: you removed also the last round bracket ")". This macro start with "(" and end with ")", if you remove one of them you break the macro, you should not remove only one of these round brackets, or remove both.

Edited 1668133238
I released a new version of the sheet, you can find it in the usual&nbsp; Test Sheet . Now I created new section "Action", this should be a tab dedicated for the combat, and you can find all the main information in a single place: Ability, HP, Initiative, ST, Movement, AC, weapons and skills.&nbsp; &nbsp;For each of this values there is a "temp modifier" field to register only those modifiers that are active only for some rounds/minutes, at the end of the action you can reset all these temp modifiers with the specific button. There is also a special section "Modifiers" on bottom-right, here there are almost all options used for combat (flank, two weapons fight, power attack, rage, and so on...), and there are also a custom field for custom bonus. The section "Modifiers" add these bonus in the fields of this tab, i.e.: if you check the Rage bonus and you type the bonus to STR, CON and the malus to AC, these bonus are added as temp modifiers in the dedicated fields. On every section there is a check box: so you can activate/deactivate all related modifiers without reset the values, i.e.: if a bard at level 8 use Inspire Courage provide a +2 on Attack and Damage, you can digit 2 in Attack and Damage, and pin the check box only when the bard songs. And now the&nbsp; weapon section. If you add a weapon in the "Weapon" section, it will be copied here, but the macro are quite different because in this section the sheet read all modifiers activated in the "Modifiers" section and calculate the total attack bonus and the damage. In this section the sheet also calculate the number of attack provided by the Base Attack bonus!!!&nbsp; &nbsp;So if your BA is 13 and click the button "Full Attacck" it will roll 3 dices; or if you have the feat "Rapid shot" and BA 13 it will roll 4 dices.&nbsp; &nbsp; You can also configure the "Flurry of Blows". For every weapon you should chose the type of the weapon: light weapon (like dagger) one hand weapon (like sword) two hands weapon (like great sword) ranged weapon (like bow) unarmed (for monk) natural weapon (like bite) and where you hold your weapon: in the primary hand in the off hand or if it's a secondary attack &nbsp;because some modifiers depends by these parameters.&nbsp; &nbsp; For example: you can add as weapon1 a bow, and as weapon2 a sword.&nbsp; &nbsp;In the modifiers section you activate&nbsp; "Rapid shot" and "Power Attack" (because you&nbsp; usually take a -2 as power attack malus).&nbsp; &nbsp;These modifiers are not referred to a specific weapon but are valid for all weapons, so you must select "Rang." for the weapon1 and 1-Hand for weapon2, so the sheet "understand" that the&nbsp; "Rapid shot" bonus should be activates only for the weapon1 and the&nbsp; "Power Attack" only for the weapon2 This automation has a drawback: the type of the attack/damage buttons are "action" and not "roll", so at this moment you cannot drag&amp;drop to the macro bar... In the remaining part of the sheet I added only some fields, so it is not changed, so if you can choose to use or not this section. All these features are the&nbsp; Test Sheet &nbsp;so&nbsp;I would appreciate if someone will do some tests.
Oh shi**... I see it now. Thank you and sorry XD
sandman said: I just wanted to erase it so it didn't prop the window every single time it attacks (less clicks, faster playing). Don't worry!!! If you are looking for a way to do less clicks, may by you could try the new "Action" tab, the idea behind it is exactly this "less clicks".
Eradan said: Can we have the Skin color field back please? Hi Eradan, this week I'm going to release on&nbsp; Test Sheet &nbsp;the first version of this change.

Edited 1669631855
In&nbsp; Test Sheet &nbsp;I released the dark mode, tell me if it's clear. At this moment I added a new switch on top of the sheet, I try to looking for how intercept the change of the mode of the "table", but at this moment you can verify all colors
To enable the dark mode triggered by the default switch, I must upgrade the sheet to the legacy=false, this means to upgrade the sheet structure (html and css) to the new version.
If I'm not wrong, with "Dark Theme", I completed all requested features, so I can start the upgrade of the sheet to the new model, and in this way it'll be suitable for the mobile app.
Another update on this topic: I released a new version of the Dark Mode triggered by the change of the mode from the table switch.
It would be a lot of work but automated calculating of Skill points as well as a "Total skillpoints Spent" Field would be nice to see. At least to help out those that are not the best with 3.5 skillpoints and for quicker levelups etc.

Edited 1669764795
Wilkins1952 said: It would be a lot of work but automated calculating of Skill points as well as a "Total skillpoints Spent" Field would be nice to see. At least to help out those that are not the best with 3.5 skillpoints and for quicker levelups etc. I understand, but there is one big problem: the sheet has the current snapshot of the character, it doesn't register the history.&nbsp; &nbsp; For example: if your PC is a warrior of level 1 and a rogue of level 1, how many skillpoints&nbsp;has your PC? 2*4 +8 = 16 or 4*8+2 = 36, the sheet doesn't know which is your first level; another example: if you rise your INT from 15 to 16, the sheet doesn't know at what level you have update the value...
Wilkins1952 said: It would be a lot of work but automated calculating of Skill points as well as a "Total skillpoints Spent" Field would be nice to see. At least to help out those that are not the best with 3.5 skillpoints and for quicker levelups etc. I can give you a spreadsheet that helps with Skill Point calculations.
Hoyer said: Wilkins1952 said: It would be a lot of work but automated calculating of Skill points as well as a "Total skillpoints Spent" Field would be nice to see. At least to help out those that are not the best with 3.5 skillpoints and for quicker levelups etc. I understand, but there is one big problem: the sheet has the current snapshot of the character, it doesn't register the history.&nbsp; &nbsp; For example: if your PC is a warrior of level 1 and a rogue of level 1, how many skillpoints&nbsp;has your PC? 2*4 +8 = 16 or 4*8+2 = 36, the sheet doesn't know which is your first level; another example: if you rise your INT from 15 to 16, the sheet doesn't know at what level you have update the value... I get that, Would have to come with a lot of work to program in an option to level up automatically or a way to distinguish which Class was chosen first.
Eradan said: Wilkins1952 said: It would be a lot of work but automated calculating of Skill points as well as a "Total skillpoints Spent" Field would be nice to see. At least to help out those that are not the best with 3.5 skillpoints and for quicker levelups etc. I can give you a spreadsheet that helps with Skill Point calculations. Thank's for the offer though I have my own way of doing it just hoping for some QOL updates and a way to help those new to the game learn 3.5 without having to do much manually.
Wilkins1952 said: Hoyer said: Wilkins1952 said: It would be a lot of work but automated calculating of Skill points as well as a "Total skillpoints Spent" Field would be nice to see. At least to help out those that are not the best with 3.5 skillpoints and for quicker levelups etc. I understand, but there is one big problem: the sheet has the current snapshot of the character, it doesn't register the history.&nbsp; &nbsp; For example: if your PC is a warrior of level 1 and a rogue of level 1, how many skillpoints&nbsp;has your PC? 2*4 +8 = 16 or 4*8+2 = 36, the sheet doesn't know which is your first level; another example: if you rise your INT from 15 to 16, the sheet doesn't know at what level you have update the value... I get that, Would have to come with a lot of work to program in an option to level up automatically or a way to distinguish which Class was chosen first. You gave me a great idea: add a new tab where register the history of the levels progression, so you can register when you have taken a specific feat or a special ability, and the right number of you skill points. Let me update the structure of the sheet and then I start to develop this new feature.
Did anyone see the dark mode version? Are the colors ok?
I have taken screenshots, but haven't got the time yet to post here. I'll do it on Sunday hopefully.
Hi Hoyer, thanks for all your work. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's a headache, but we can feel the love. The dark mode doesn't seem to work, it's really hard to read...
This is just a mockup, but I wish I could actually read the darkmode output like this instead of whatever whitebox neon craziness is going on by default.

Edited 1669932366
Eradan said: I have taken screenshots, but haven't got the time yet to post here. I'll do it on Sunday hopefully. Yep! Don't worry Eradan I know that you have already seen it, take your time. But I must be honest: I don't like Dark Mode, not only in Roll20, but in every software... so I need your feedbacks to adjust this feature. Austin &nbsp;said: Hi Hoyer, thanks for all your work. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's a headache, but we can feel the love. Hahahahaha,&nbsp;They gave me severe headaches too....
Austin said: This is just a mockup, but I wish I could actually read the darkmode output like this instead of whatever whitebox neon craziness is going on by default. I still have to fix the roll template, at this moment I implemented the darkmode only inside the sheet.&nbsp; &nbsp;When the sheet will be ok and all colors will be defined, I'll adapt the roll template with the same style.&nbsp;
Still busy, but I don't want to make you wait any longer. This part is just fine as it is. This one is also fine as it is. This one has a problem. The dark grey on light grey color scheme is hard to read. One solution could be to retain the dark grey background of the inactive tabs and change only the text's color, or to keep the light grey text and make the background darker. We have the same problem with this one. The red parts have the same problem as above, the yellow parts could do with more contrast. Basically, free fields are fine, automated fields not so much, and categories/attributes are hard to read. This is how the Shadowrun 5 sheet does it (only for the header sadly)
I increased the contrast in these sections, and I fixed the roll templates.
Still waiting for feedback from my players about the sheet. Regarding the roll template: It's a bit hard to read. The best way to go about it would be to make the name more visible (lighter shade of red), to remove the light grey block behind the calculation (or make it a dark block instead), remove the purple background behind the numbers and increase the contrast for the text. Austin's mockup is actually very good.
New version online. I made some changes to the "light mode" too.
I'm going to release this version of the sheet next week as Christmas gift.... :)

Edited 1672229317
The new version is activated.
Hello and thanks for the d&amp;d 3.5 card and for the work you do. The latest upgrade has generated a problem that affects the quality of our game. We have created hundreds of macros on spells and since the new release the template does not diversify for each block {{...}} the rows with different colors as before. This makes the readability of created spell macros very difficult and unclear. Having practically surveyed all the spells of the 3.5 player manual and also other manuals, modifying all the macros created and bringing them to each campaign and pg would be a titanic job. Can you restore the color change on the template as it was before with each block of curly braces? Thanks for the reply and happy new year!
Hi Luca, could you post some screenshots of the problem?&nbsp; Or could you create a sheet whith your macros in the test sheet game? I'd like fix the problem istead revert all changes.
Hello, thanks for the quick reply. I've only found a very simple screenshot of saving throws, but that should do the trick. I am attaching,&nbsp; as it was: as it is now, without color division and the macro below /w gm &amp;{template:DnD35StdRoll} {{name=@{character_name} }} {{**Tempra:** = [[1d20+9]] }} {{**Riflessi:** = [[1d20+7]] }} {{**Volontà:** = [[1d20+20]] }} On monster macros and spells where there are many lines, the non-color separation creates several slowdowns in the game. If you wanted to upgrade with a list of spells to select and complete macros with automatic variables already calculated I could provide them to you (we just have to translate them from Italian but I don't think it's a big problem) Ex monster without color division

Edited 1672440609
Hi Luca, I have fixed this issue and I have create the request to activate this change, in some days it'll be activated; this will work in light and darkmode.
Ciao Luca, the fix have been released, now the the problem should be fixed. Happy new year
Thanks, happy new year to you too