Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 3.5 Sheet upgrade

As I've already said, it would be a minor modification for each weapon, easily and quickly done. Unlike creating dedicated attributes, it's only a couple of fields to fill with basic numbers. That's why I'd like to know the opinion of the others on this thread.

Edited 1651341172
In the test  Test Sheet  I released the alfa-version, the macros don't work, but you can see difference graphically. In the weapon 1 I added the new fields. In the weapon 2 there the second option, but is the same of the current sheet. In both I had to add another button to roll critical damage, because when you roll only the damage, I don't know if I should roll a normal damage or a critical damage, so I must add two different buttons.

Edited 1651338862
I'd like to know what others think about this choice.    Joe, do you like one of these solutions?
Jacob R. said: Hi there, It seems there are two Initiative-buttons on the sheet. One on the sheet itself, that works correctly in the sense it takes into account the Initiative modifier. Then there's also an initiative token action button, that doesn't take into account the modifier. Why is that? And also, is the token action modifiable? Sorry Jacob, I forgot to answer to your message... There is 2 initiative buttons in the sheet, one in the PC section and one in the NPC section, and both work fine.   But if you want to use the sheet as NPC the token action for initiative doesn't work because read the PC fields and not the NPC.    I didn't fix this issue.
TheGamer said: Now you are a GM on Test Sheet.
Update: now in the  Test Sheet  is present a new version the weapon 1 has three new fields for damage; all buttons are of type roll instead action; there are a new button to roll critical damage; these are the macro for damage and critical damage: [[@{weapon1dicenumber}]]d[[@{weapon1dicetype}]] + @{weapon1bonusdamage}[Dmg] + @{weapon1damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] + @{weapon1enh}[Weapon Enh] + @{weapon1specialize}[Weapon Spec] + ?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon]+ @{weapon1vardamage}[Var Dmg] [[(@{weapon1critmult}-1) * @{weapon1dicenumber}]]d[[@{weapon1dicetype}]][Dmg] + (@{weapon1critmult}-1)*(@{weapon1bonusdamage}[Dmg] + @{weapon1damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] + @{weapon1enh}[Weapon Enh] + @{weapon1specialize}[Weapon Spec] + ?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon]) all macro should work; on top of the weapon section there are two radio button so you can choose between if you prefer roll attack and damage together or separately and if you prefer calculate the critical damage rerolling the dice or multiplying the damage. Tomorrow I gong to update the weapon 2, in this case there are: the damage fields are the same; all buttons are of type roll instead action; there are a new button to roll critical damage; the macro for the damage is the usual one @{weapon2statdamage}[Dmg] + @{weapon2damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] + @{weapon2enh}[Weapon Enh] + @{weapon2specialize}[Weapon Spec] + ?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon] + @{weapon2vardamage}[Var Dmg] the macro for the critical damage is calculate every time the filed @{weapon2critmult} will be modified in this way: I read the content of the text area "weapon2crit" to identify the multiplier and I replicate the content between the round brackets, if the are not present I replicate all content, for example: If you the multiplier is 2 the macro will be: ( @{weapon2statdamage}[Dmg] + @{weapon2damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] + @{weapon2enh}[Weapon Enh] + @{weapon2specialize}[Weapon Spec] + ?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon]) If you the multiplier is 3 the macro will be: ( @{weapon2statdamage}[Dmg] + @{weapon2damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] + @{weapon2enh}[Weapon Enh] + @{weapon2specialize}[Weapon Spec] + ?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon]) +  ( @{weapon2statdamage}[Dmg] + @{weapon2damagestat}[Weapon Dmg Ability] + @{weapon2enh}[Weapon Enh] + @{weapon2specialize}[Weapon Spec] + ?{Additional Damage Bonus?|0}[Ad'l Dmg Bon]) on top of the weapon section there are two radio button so you can choose between if you prefer roll attack and damage together or separately and if you prefer calculate the critical damage rerolling the dice or multiplying the damage. At the end of my work you can test both solutions, and tell me which one you prefer.   I can implement both solutions, from technical side I have no preferences. The first solution has more impact for all users. The second solution may be have some impact to users who edit only the critical damage macro, because they must be careful when modifying it. However both solutions solve the problem to drag and drop all button to the macro bar.
It works :) Thanks again for your work on the sheet. There's a bug with the names in the quickbar, but it's trivial.
It's very weird... but in this case I think it's out of my scope.... however I'll do some checks
I've tried the new macro coded into the weapon 1 of the test sheet, the new fields look a bit weird to me due to their spacing but it's a minor thing, and it seems to work fine. In my opinion you should implement this version rather than the "weapon 2 type", while it requires to edit existing sheets across the campains the way the macro is written is consistent with the other ones making it easy to modify if needed, that's not the case with the way the critical macro is written in the weapon 2 wich uses a different logic needing to copy-paste the stuff in the brackets multiple times and this can lead to errors. As a different request other than the ability to create custom fields to call in our macros (in our campaing we use some homebrew stuff that requires some roll modifiers and we need to have the ability to put them somewhere), may I suggest to add other global modifiers like the one you added in the skill section? Again in our campain we're using some weapons of legacy that impose a penality to all attack rolls so a global attacks bonus/penality field would be useful.
Good point of view. Two clarifications: if the macro were edited by players to use a custom macro, this means that these players must correct their macro, in both solutions; the second solution however require an initial change greater than the first, but if you are rewrited your macro the first time all next change will be applied by an automatic script. The size of the new field is calculated to contains: 2 digits in the first filed, 3 digits in the second field, e two digits in the third. Yes, I can add e global modifier on top of the weapon section.
However I also prefer the first solution: is more clear, stable. I have only one doubt: it's more different from the previous version, and for my previous experience this generate some... disappointment.
I have released the second solution on weapon 2.
Hoyer said: However I also prefer the first solution: is more clear, stable. I have only one doubt: it's more different from the previous version, and for my previous experience this generate some... disappointment. Can the radio buttons in the attack section change wich set of fields is shown? If that's the case you can avoid this problem making so the new type of macro with his own set of dicetype/dicenumber fields is activated by a dedicated radio button and the other option would be the "weapon 2 type" macro with the usual fields so no existing macro is broken
Yes, for sure, if you change the value of the radio on top of this secion and loook the tooltip on the textarea you will notice that the name of some fields will change, because are different fileds with same graphic.

Edited 1651500392
Hoyer said: Yes, for sure, if you change the value of the radio on top of this secion and loook the tooltip on the textarea you will notice that the name of some fields will change, because are different fileds with same graphic. yeah I noticed that but I'm referring to the actual weapon fields and not the macro ones if the radio button can change them too alternating between the two different layouts you can have both type of weapon macro without risking to break existing macros
Would it be possible to reduce the size of the Age, Weight and Height fields, and add a Skin field?
Yes, it's not a probem.
Hoyer, do you have copies of your earlier revisions? Interested in the last sheet before you changed the value of weapon1attack. Are the earlier versions available? I did not see them on Github. Thanks.
Hi Erich, probably yes, i forked the roll20 repository and I push on it before create a pull request to the main repository, it's a public repository so I can share you the link.   However in the history of the file " charsheet_3-5.html " I found all previous versions. Exactly, what do you need?   Do you need the old macro?
TheGamer said: yeah I noticed that but I'm referring to the actual weapon fields and not the macro ones if the radio button can change them too alternating between the two different layouts you can have both type of weapon macro without risking to break existing macros I'm going to reorganize the css file... it's getting very complicated.
Hoyer said: Hi Erich, probably yes, i forked the roll20 repository and I push on it before create a pull request to the main repository, it's a public repository so I can share you the link.   However in the history of the file " charsheet_3-5.html " I found all previous versions. Exactly, what do you need?   Do you need the old macro? You know, I don't mess with GitHub enough to pay attention to the finer nuances. I saw the file but did not know there was a history attribute to it. Thanks for the tip. Why I am looking for it is simple: trying to help Joe get all of his macros and abilities working once more. The easiest way I can think of doing that is to grab the code he likes and can work with, and make it a custom character sheet for his game. That way he is "insulated" from any other changes which happen to the live sheet.   Six years ago Diana made a change to the sheet which broke most of my stuff in my game. I understand progress, believe me. But I took the existing code and made it a custom sheet with my preferred changes to it.  Some of the changes you are making are pretty neat, and I know from what modding I did that you have taken on a tough job, with a tough crowd to please.  Problem with the 3.5 sheet is the huge amount of information that  you have to attempt to capture, all of the wild gyrations people build, and the way it is presented. Personally I want to ask the Devs for permission to have more than one 3.5 sheet. I see so many other sheets in repository with duplicates. A system as diverse as 3.5 should have more than one, in my opinion.  The way things are going now any change made will please a certain percentage of players, but also make another percentage unhappy. If we can have more than one 3.5 sheet for the community it may help hold down the dissatisfaction created by change.
Erich S. said: The way things are going now any change made will please a certain percentage of players, but also make another percentage unhappy. If we can have more than one 3.5 sheet for the community it may help hold down the dissatisfaction created by change. Probably you are right, but with my last update I hope that Joe, and a others players will be satisfied.... I hope.   Take a look in the Test Sheet. However if you need a specific version of the sheet I can send you.

Edited 1651972932
I was on the test sheet yesterday messing with the atttribute.  Here's the code from the sheet: "<button class="sheet-switch-attack-button sheet-btn-roll" type="action" name="act_weapon1attack" title="weapon1attack" value="@{weapon1attackmacro}" style="width: 20px;"> </button>" @{Bill Door|weapon1attackmacro} Upon Success Target must succeed an opposed DC[[1d20+@{str-mod)+4]] Strength or Balance Check or be tripped. Opponent has +4 if they are Stable or Large. @{Bill Door|weapon1attack} - doesn't work. Bill Door being someone's test character that I shanghaied for my test. Joe has this attribute tied to several hundred sheets: %{Dictum|weapon1attack} Upon Success Target must succeed an opposed DC[[1d20+@{str-mod)+4]] Strength or Balance Check or be tripped. Opponent has +4 if they are Stable or Large. Your new test sheet will show the "Upon Success..." follow on message now. But now weapon1attack has been changed to weapon1attackmacro. The couple of test rolls I made at least would not work with weapon1attack.  Any thoughts?  Edit: The 25 November version works fine with the attribute macro that Joe had sent me. The ball is in his court. Thank you for the assistance.
Bill Door is my humble tribute to Sir Terry Pratchett. You'll notice the weapon is a scythe.

Edited 1652310362
I release the new version of the sheet in  Test Sheet  . I changed the first 10 weapons in weapon section: now it's possible to choose to keep the field damage united or splitted , all fields have "type=roll". I made some test, and it seems it works, but @Erich S. can I ask you to repeat your test? Thanks!!!! Now I think there are a lot of options in this section, I hope this can help each player to choose the better. If this could be ok, then I'll add the new global modifier to this section and the skin field; and finally I'll release the new version.
Changes to be implemented list: add a space for domains; add attribute modifier below the "Magic Items Slots". And finally I'm creating a new "Action" section, It's to difficult explain, I'll show it when will be stable, but I hope beardymagics appreciate it.
Hoyer said: I release the new version of the sheet in  Test Sheet  . I made some test, and it seems it works, but @Erich S. can I ask you to repeat your test? This Works: @{Bill Door|weapon1attackmacro} Upon Success Target must succeed an opposed DC[[1d20+@{str-mod)+4]] Strength or Balance Check or be tripped. Opponent has +4 if they are Stable or Large. This does not work: @{Bill Door|weapon1attack} Upon Success Target must succeed an opposed DC[[1d20+@{str-mod)+4]] Strength or Balance Check or be tripped. Opponent has +4 if they are Stable or Large. The abilities that Joe has all use weapon1attack. They unfortunately no longer work. I tested though and saw the posted results.

Edited 1652350189
Hoyer  said: I release the new version of the sheet in  Test Sheet  . I changed the first 10 weapons in weapon section: now it's possible to choose to keep the field damage united or splitted , all fields have "type=roll". I made some test, and it seems it works, but @Erich S. can I ask you to repeat your test? Thanks!!!! Now I think there are a lot of options in this section, I hope this can help each player to choose the better. If this could be ok, then I'll add the new global modifier to this section and the skin field; and finally I'll release the new version. Works for me, thank you :)
Erich S. said: Hoyer said: I release the new version of the sheet in  Test Sheet  . I made some test, and it seems it works, but @Erich S. can I ask you to repeat your test? This Works: @{Bill Door|weapon1attackmacro} Upon Success Target must succeed an opposed DC[[1d20+@{str-mod)+4]] Strength or Balance Check or be tripped. Opponent has +4 if they are Stable or Large. This does not work: @{Bill Door|weapon1attack} Upon Success Target must succeed an opposed DC[[1d20+@{str-mod)+4]] Strength or Balance Check or be tripped. Opponent has +4 if they are Stable or Large. The abilities that Joe has all use weapon1attack. They unfortunately no longer work. I tested though and saw the posted results. Ok, I made some checks.

Edited 1652368372
Ok, I found the problem. To manage all the options of the weapons section, I create several buttons and textArea, and I show only the correct ones depending on the value of the switchers on top of the section, and each of this button/textArea has a different name.   For example: if you choose "Damage fields splitted" the name of the textArea of the damage is "weapon1damagesplitted", if you choose "Damage fields united" the name is "weapon1damage". In this way I create several new attributes, again for the damage textArea, this is the list of all existing attributes: weapon1damages (the original one) weapon1damagesplitted For this reason there are many attack buttons: weapon1attack (the original one) weapon1attacksinglererollsplitted weapon1attacksinglemultiplysplitted weapon1attacksinglecustomsplitted weapon1attacksinglemultiplyunited weapon1attacksinglecustomunited I had to choose with which combination of the three switches to show the original attribute/button, and to see it you must select this combination: Attack and Damage single roll Reroll critic damage Damage fields united The reason is simple: this combination keep the sheet equals to the previous version. Instead you have chosen a different value for the third option, so I had to hide the field "weapon1attack" so you cannot use it. So you have two options: change the value to "Damage fields united" instead "Damage fields splitted" or modify the macro, from "@{Bill Door| weapon1attack }" to "@{Bill Door| weapon1attacksinglererollsplitted }"

Edited 1652449470
It may feel a little convoluted but I think that having all the options will be the best in the long run, as soon as the users get the hang of the new system everything should be fine with the added benefit that this implementation won't break existing sheets. Do you have any ETA for the final release? (btw please consider my original request to add a button somewhere in the main page to create custom uniquely named fields maybe with a layout like this)

Edited 1652451317
TheGamer  said: It may feel a little convoluted but I think that having all the options will be the best in the long run, as soon as the users get the hang of the new system everything should be fine with the added benefit that this implementation won't break existing sheets. So, do you appreciate this version? There is no timing for release, when the version is stable I can push my changes to the roll20 repository, and they will be released in a few days.   Moreover I can release a new version every week. TheGamer  said: Do you have any ETA for the final release? (btw please consider my original request to add a button somewhere in the main page to create custom uniquely named fields maybe with a layout like this) For sure!!! My be we can add this custom section in the Misc tab.   It's quite easy.
Hoyer said: So, do you appreciate this version? There is no timing for release, when the version is stable I can push my changes to the roll20 repository, and they will be released in a few days.   Moreover I can release a new version every week. TheGamer  said: Do you have any ETA for the final release? (btw please consider my original request to add a button somewhere in the main page to create custom uniquely named fields maybe with a layout like this) For sure!!! My be we can add this custom section in the Misc tab.   It's quite easy. Yep, I do appreciate it, it'll take a bit to get used to the new fields but I do like the multiple options and the possibility to have custom fields it's a really good thing
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but the NPC attack macro just comes back with "hits AC 0" with no total.  if you mouse over you can see the inline rolls but it doesn't display the sum.  I have all the fields filled out.  Thanks.
Hi Jamie, could you post a screenshot with the inline rolls? Usually, the problem it originated because you write a unnecessary "+", if you mouse over you can check if is present a double plus, like this "++"
@Hoyer - You are correct.  I had put a +4 for the BAB and not just a 4.  Forgot to check up yonder.  Very much appreciate the assistance and speedy response!
My pleasure, I'm online because I'm creating a new scenario for my adventure!!!! However I and my players do the same mistake every sessions...
Unfortunately, this problem is happening again... even now, I have 2 separate attributes in each character called "armorclass" (one is the artificially created), but the tokens keep unlinking themselves by default each time i pull them into a new adventure page. It's really tiresome... Nobody else is experiencing such problem? I don't understand what I might be doing wrong... Best regards,       Joan Joan F. said: Hoyer said: Hi Joan, I made some tests in the  Test Sheet  game, and it seems that the problem is related to all attributes not present in the tab "Attributes & Abilities".   I don't know why...  many updates have bean released and may be it's a bug. However to solve the problem you could add an attribute "armorclass" in the tab "Attributes & Abilities" manually, this attribute will remain empty, but the circle of the token will be populated. Well found! Thank you so much. I added the attribute and indeed, now it populates properly. I am not sure which process or change may have bugged this, which before was working, but it's great to be able to make it work again! :) Cheers...
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Might be related to a recent bug that's been recognized by staff; Issue with Token Bar Values for npc_ac Not Displaying Properly (Roll20 5E OGL NPC sheet) Joan F. said: Unfortunately, this problem is happening again... even now, I have 2 separate attributes in each character called "armorclass" (one is the artificially created), but the tokens keep unlinking themselves by default each time i pull them into a new adventure page. It's really tiresome... Nobody else is experiencing such problem? I don't understand what I might be doing wrong... Best regards,       Joan
Thanks, Vince. Seems the same issue, yeah. But in the 5E sheet. Possibly a bug by the VTT. I hope they can solve it soon... vÍnce said: Might be related to a recent bug that's been recognized by staff; Issue with Token Bar Values for npc_ac Not Displaying Properly (Roll20 5E OGL NPC sheet) Joan F. said: Unfortunately, this problem is happening again... even now, I have 2 separate attributes in each character called "armorclass" (one is the artificially created), but the tokens keep unlinking themselves by default each time i pull them into a new adventure page. It's really tiresome... Nobody else is experiencing such problem? I don't understand what I might be doing wrong... Best regards,       Joan
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
We should be thankful that it's affecting the 5e community as well...  ;-)  "I hope they can solve it soon..." Agreed. Joan F. said: Thanks, Vince. Seems the same issue, yeah. But in the 5E sheet. Possibly a bug by the VTT. I hope they can solve it soon... vÍnce said: Might be related to a recent bug that's been recognized by staff; Issue with Token Bar Values for npc_ac Not Displaying Properly (Roll20 5E OGL NPC sheet) Joan F. said: Unfortunately, this problem is happening again... even now, I have 2 separate attributes in each character called "armorclass" (one is the artificially created), but the tokens keep unlinking themselves by default each time i pull them into a new adventure page. It's really tiresome... Nobody else is experiencing such problem? I don't understand what I might be doing wrong... Best regards,       Joan
Hoyer, do you have an ETA for the next version of the sheet please?
Hi Eradan, I found a bug... I'm trying to fix it.
Heya Hoyer, have you managed to squish the bug?
Hahahahaha Yep!!!! I'm going to release the new version.
The question is, when? I need to update char sheets as soon as it comes out :)

Edited 1655370358
The new version has been activated today.
Time to work then! Thanks :)
Time to edit the macros then, btw Hoyer I noticed that in the end you didn't add the global attack modifier or the ability to add custom fields. It wasn't possible to add them?