Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A better way to organize pages.

Duncan said: Why has this not been implemented? I am personally getting disgruntled -- can we get other people chiming in, this is one of the most upvoted needs and it appears to be completely ignored or am I missing something? I don't want to use some 3rd party script, I want the devs whose product i consume to put in some coding time to fix a vital feature i use regularly.  Sorry, but this is just getting annoying. I would like some NEW response from the dev team. As the thread's originator over two years ago, honestly, I've been slowly losing patience too.  My friends and I, some of whom are pro and plus members like myself, joined Roll20 over 4 years ago and mostly we've been utterly thrilled with it--really! But three of our campaigns have an awful lot of maps and we were rather surprised to see that a page sorting folder function, which seems like such a basic, "Why isn't this already here?" idea, hasn't been native to the tool since the KickStarter days. There was a dev response to the affect of putting this idea in long term development--I guess they were busy with all the D&D 5 stuff. But this thread, although in terms of votes isn't the most popular suggestion, still keeps getting "me too" comments, month in and month out. So yeah, I sympathize with you, Duncan. 
Duncan said: Gold said: Some folders are coming in the next major Roll20 update, but not on the Pages section as far as I know. I believe there has been some talk about an upgrade to Pages but I don't know when it is coming or what it would look like. I do agree that Pages is tricky to use once you have more than 5 to 8 pages (and I have around 20, and it's hard to reach the far pages, lots of dragging and scrolling). Note: There is an unofficial workaround, that's posted on the forums somewhere. I believe The Aaron wrote it or knows how to explain it. It's a code you can put in your browser URL which will open the Pages bar as nearly a full screen with multiple rows, instead of all the Pages on one long row that you have to scroll. Again unfortunately I don't recall the exact link or how to find that, but if you search and scour the forums, it exists. EDITED LATER TO ADD: Here is a workaround method developed by another user, posted on the General forum, Fullscreen Page Bar <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscre" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscre</a>... Why has this not been implemented? I am personally getting disgruntled -- can we get other people chiming in, this is one of the most upvoted needs and it appears to be completely ignored or am I missing something? I don't want to use some 3rd party script, I want the devs whose product i consume to put in some coding time to fix a vital feature i use regularly.&nbsp; Sorry, but this is just getting annoying. I would like some NEW response from the dev team. Likewise, I am also disgruntled by it, not from just this suggestion but from all the sorts of quality of life improvements that have not been implemented. I get around it by using third party scripts and situational names for the maps that I use, but I should not need to do that and wholeheartedly agree with you on it. Perhaps we need to make some sort of move ourselves? I don't honestly know. The saddest part is that the quality of great modules like Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder are suffering because ALL the maps are put in the toolbar at once and you do not always follow them in a linear order. If we had to deal with it somehow there is no way whoever was in charge of the modules did not notice this.

Edited 1533655989
Brother Sharp said: Likewise, I am also disgruntled by it, not from just this suggestion but from all the sorts of quality of life improvements that have not been implemented. I get around it by using third party scripts and situational names for the maps that I use, but I should not need to do that and wholeheartedly agree with you on it. Perhaps we need to make some sort of move ourselves? I don't honestly know. And there are all the basic level subscribers who don't have access to the scripting API so they're out of luck too. It really should be native to the tool at all subscription levels.&nbsp; But I have made allowances. The dev team has been working very hard on many things. The tool has changed a great deal in the last 4 years. The Dev team has NOT &nbsp; been sitting on their laurels here.
+1 all thou long term i fell the more it has the faster it might move up the dev to do list... i think alot of these are being delayed by what the devs are calling Canvas upgrade issues. once they can nail that down i fell alot of these long terms may be completed.
+1 I need the be able to put my maps into folders, at least in my achieves! This doesn't seem to me as a big issue to code for the people building this site, as they can more or less just reuse most of the existing codes for making and sorting into folders. Please make this happen ASAP! For one-shot DM/GM's this does not present a very big problem, but I myself run a complete world fantasy sandbox, I have more than 30 maps right now and only restrict myself as of right now, due to the lack of organization options in the current map storage system.
+1 on this from me as well. I didn't realize there was already a post and Mr. Farlops linked it for me. I understand the dev team is working very hard on other projects, and I very much appreciate the platform to game on, but QoL updates are what keep bringing people back and the platform easy to use. Thank you Devs and fellow Roll20 members!
+1&nbsp; Yes please. Folders or custom icons or something.&nbsp;

Edited 1513815006
Jader said: +1&nbsp; Yes please. Folders or custom icons or something.&nbsp; Well, it really HAS to be folders--folders which we can name, folders we can nest and subnest. The metaphor is cross-platform. Linux, Mac and Windows, even smart phones and tablets all use the folder/directory metaphor for sorting files. The thing is we have to be able to do the following: Create a folder labeled "Orc pirate harbors,"&nbsp; "Haunted Temple Catacombs," "Generic forest campsite ecounters"&nbsp; or whatever and then throw the appropriate map and image pages into the folders we have created. Maybe even nest some folders inside others. Then we can throw all those folders into the long term archive. So when we look in archive, we don't see a zillion maps we have to sort through. Instead we only see a few managable folder trees with a few starting nodes. So it has to be folders.
+1 please improve this!&nbsp; I don't want to delete old pages, the transmog means I can pillage them from newer games which is wonderful! Let us keep stuff and organize it better.
+1 This would be super helpful. Even as a new(er) pro member and GM, the time it takes to scroll or have to reorganize maps in between sessions to help the pace and flow of the game can be frustrating at times.&nbsp; Overall, I love a lot of the things that are implemented, but this would greatly improve the sessions I believe.
+1 I need this in my life.
+1 This absolutely needs to be a feature.&nbsp; It's pretty easy to do, too.&nbsp; The thing is, when you're working on software and you have a back-log of features that aslo, "need to be a feature", you have to prioritize, and even stupidly easy things get overlooked frequently.&nbsp; Roll20 devs have to consider what's going to promote the project's future the most, rather than focus on QOL features that aren't super marketable.&nbsp; It sucks, but it's the reality of development.&nbsp; However, it would be nice if they community-sourced this at some point.&nbsp; I don't see any reason they couldn't implement community-sourced development on things like this.&nbsp; They already do it for character sheets, modules and the like.&nbsp; &nbsp;I think this is worth encouraging.
SilverKnightGG said: ...However, it would be nice if they community-sourced this at some point.&nbsp; I don't see any reason they couldn't implement community-sourced development on things like this.&nbsp; They already do it for character sheets, modules and the like.&nbsp; &nbsp;I think this is worth encouraging. Indeed that would be nice but, not all users have access to the stuff pro-level subscribers like ourselves have which means the free users won't see it. I think this is such a basic omission in functionality, that it really should be made native at all user levels, free or not.

Edited 1515066211
Idea: What about an API script (or Stylebot?) that just collects all the pages/maps and groups them into Tabs by page name? Castle of Ni: Level 1 Castle of Ni: Level 2 Castle of Ni: Level 3 Castle of Ni: Level 4 The Abbyss: Level 1 The Abbyss: Level 3 The Abbyss: Level 4 Script could just use the string before the : and make a tab, and put all the pages in there that start with this string... so you would have two tabs here names "Castle of Ni" and "The Abbyss". Or if name your pages by Region you could reduce the number of tabs, maybe. Chult:Castle of Ni - Level 1 Chult:Castle of Ni - Level 2 Chult:Castle of Ni - Level 3 Chult:Castle of Ni - Level 4 Chult:The Abbyss - Level 1 Chult:The Abbyss - Level 3 Chult:The Abbyss - Level 4 Needs some Javascript programmer who can do this.
+1
Ill be honest I was playing around I have generally 8 orc camps including other maps and since I leave so much open to choices on where the players go it sometimes takes more then one attempt to get the players where they need to go... So I thought of this... I don't even know if its practical or not but eh I was thinking of a more stop gab solution. User hovers on folder for a few seconds contents of&nbsp; folder popout vertically if there are many another column popouts etc.
Christopher C. said: User hovers on folder for a few seconds contents of&nbsp; folder popout vertically if there are many another column popouts etc. Which indeed would be nice if we HAD folders.
+1 to this.
An update on this:&nbsp; The page menu has been expanded.
Gargamond said: An update on this:&nbsp; The page menu has been expanded. Can you explain this further because I've just looked and see no significant change.

Edited 1519911798
Mr. Farlops said: Gargamond said: An update on this: The page menu has been expanded. Can you explain this further because I've just looked and see no significant change. There is a stylish extension that can do this for you. I don't have the link available but it has been posted a number of times in the forums.

Edited 1519913610
Ed S. said: There is a stylish extension that can do this for you. I don't have the link available but it has been posted a number of times in the forums. A link would be nice, Ed. EDITED later: Actually I've been poking around and I assume you mean this ? If so, I have looked at that and it sort of works (It still doesn't give me folder functionality. It just enlarges the bar space and wraps pages which makes it little easier to see.) But, honestly, it is a pain to add an extension to all the browsers I use on all the machines I hop around on and it still lacks the essential thing: folders. I just want to throw pages into a set of folders and sort whole groups of maps that way. It really should be native to the roll20 tool.&nbsp; And if you don't mean the stuff I point to, please ignore my complaint. But if you do, sorry, I'm afraid this workaround isn't one and doesn't satisfy.&nbsp;

Edited 1519913707
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I think&nbsp; this is what you're looking for. Edit: Beat me to it!

Edited 1519915148
Kirsty said: I think&nbsp; this is what you're looking for. Edit: Beat me to it! Yeah, that's the one and it's better than nothing, I guess. But what I really want is something that works much like the archive "container" that already exists on the default page toolbar. What I want is to create multiple, named archives/folders. Then I'd put different map pages in these different archives/folders then only open the archive/folder I want and get the pages I want. ADDED LATER: So, since it is better than nothing, I have added the Stylish extension to my various Firefoxes and have pasted in the CSS to apply. Yes, it works just as advertised. Alas, I still want folders.
I would like folders as well, because though the method with the script makes it easier to navigate selection of a page, it doesn't work when you need to reorder the pages. The Aaron mentioned this, but I think you can't overlook that fact, and still warrants this over a work-around.

Edited 1520014162
So my first post on the forums is: +1 for folders or something to make page organization easier. Frankly I was surprised to find out that there was no easy way to organize your pages. Makes no sense.&nbsp;
+1
+1
fenrhir
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
I'm using a stylish expansion, but this kind of thing should be managed within Roll20. Got my +1.
+1 Running a West Marches campaign at the moment and it's impossible find my own maps properly, with all the DMs making and moving maps constantly to keep up with our adventures. Is there any more news from the Dev Team in the past 6 months beyond just that it's in long term development? It seems to be such a requested feature.
Oh come on ! Seriously ? Still nothing ? Not even a life sign from devs ? We've been waiting for a whole year, now !

Edited 1521911023
Bastodon said: We've been waiting for a whole year, now ! Longer actually, I started this thread in February 2015, 3 long years. And there may have been forum threads by others that proceeded it.&nbsp; :-)
I would love to see this. Even just moving page manager to the side bar so there can be nested folders and such, or a way to resize/rename,/organize. ANYTHING. My game already has over 50 maps, and moving players has turned into an absolute nightmare.
Gold said: Some folders are coming in the next major Roll20 update, but not on the Pages section as far as I know. I believe there has been some talk about an upgrade to Pages but I don't know when it is coming or what it would look like. I do agree that Pages is tricky to use once you have more than 5 to 8 pages (and I have around 20, and it's hard to reach the far pages, lots of dragging and scrolling). Note: There is an unofficial workaround, that's posted on the forums somewhere. I believe The Aaron wrote it or knows how to explain it. It's a code you can put in your browser URL which will open the Pages bar as nearly a full screen with multiple rows, instead of all the Pages on one long row that you have to scroll. Again unfortunately I don't recall the exact link or how to find that, but if you search and scour the forums, it exists. EDITED LATER TO ADD: Here is a workaround method developed by another user, posted on the General forum, Fullscreen Page Bar <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscre" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscre</a>... Honestly, this works so well I'd just incorporate it in the CSS file that the site uses... its an easy fix.&nbsp; Thanks for this!
+1
+1 One Quality of Life Improvement I suggested was displaying the page with the Player Ribbon on it as the first in the list so you don't have to constantly scroll right if you're using a lot of pages and you're already close to all the pages next to the Player Ribbon that way.
I'd disagree with that suggestion, Kastion. Reordering the pages based on where the party ribbon is breaks whatever order you might have had the pages in already. If I have these maps: CaveMap1 CaveMap2 CaveMap3 BoatMap1 BoatMap2 BoatMap3 BoatMap4 and I put the players on BoatMap3, then under your suggestion, it would force that map to be first like so: BoatMap3 CaveMap1 CaveMap2 CaveMap3 BoatMap1 BoatMap2 BoatMap4 So now not only are they out of order, but then to get to BoatMap4, I still have to drag/scroll all the way to the right and then also fix the position of BoatMap3 later.

Edited 1524867910
MyRoll20Stuffs
API Scripter
Jen said: I'd disagree with that suggestion, Kastion. Reordering the pages based on where the party ribbon is breaks whatever order you might have had the pages in already. If I have these maps: CaveMap1 CaveMap2 CaveMap3 BoatMap1 BoatMap2 BoatMap3 BoatMap4 and I put the players on BoatMap3, then under your suggestion, it would force that map to be first like so: BoatMap3 CaveMap1 CaveMap2 CaveMap3 BoatMap1 BoatMap2 BoatMap4 So now not only are they out of order, but then to get to BoatMap4, I still have to drag/scroll all the way to the right and then also fix the position of BoatMap3 later. I never said anything about re-ordering pages. All I was suggesting was that the scroll bar start at where the player ribbon is. I.E if the I have 10 pages and the player ribbon is on Page 5 - the first page to be displayed is Page 5 since the player ribbon is on it and it shows everything after it next i.e Page 6, Page 7, Page 8, etc etc I said nothing about changing the order of the pages, only said the position of the scroll bar should be relative to where the player ribbon is.

Edited 1533656145
Mr M. said: ...most people who do this are self congratulating SJWs... Leave Roll20, do not renew. Only after they lose money will they get the message. Everyone is free to do that if but, I'm not so sure it will send the message that is hoped for. I've wanted this feature for a long time but I don't really consider it a deal breaker. But maybe it is for some. Squeaky wheel and all that. (And on a completely unrelated matter, as a lifelong lefty, I have to laugh at the use of " SJW " as a snarl word .)
+1
Kastion said: I never said anything about re-ordering pages. All I was suggesting was that the scroll bar start at where the player ribbon is. I.E if the I have 10 pages and the player ribbon is on Page 5 - the first page to be displayed is Page 5 since the player ribbon is on it and it shows everything after it next i.e Page 6, Page 7, Page 8, etc etc I said nothing about changing the order of the pages, only said the position of the scroll bar should be relative to where the player ribbon is. So to clarify what you mean then -- do you mean when you open the pages list, it would automatically scroll such that page 5 is the leftmost one visible ("first") but 1-4 are still further to the left if you scroll that way?&nbsp;
Jen said: Kastion said: I never said anything about re-ordering pages. All I was suggesting was that the scroll bar start at where the player ribbon is. I.E if the I have 10 pages and the player ribbon is on Page 5 - the first page to be displayed is Page 5 since the player ribbon is on it and it shows everything after it next i.e Page 6, Page 7, Page 8, etc etc I said nothing about changing the order of the pages, only said the position of the scroll bar should be relative to where the player ribbon is. So to clarify what you mean then -- do you mean when you open the pages list, it would automatically scroll such that page 5 is the leftmost one visible ("first") but 1-4 are still further to the left if you scroll that way?&nbsp; Yes you got it right on the money that's exactly what I meant.

Edited 1527324192
Dave
Pro
The whole "pages" interface is very clunky to use when you have any large number of them. I'd rather have a pulldown menu or a pop-up list.&nbsp; The ability to search for a specific page in games with longer lists of maps would be invaluable. As I've seen posted elsewhere, a "move players here" function for each page would be great.&nbsp; As even more of a pipe dream, what about the ability to have players on separate maps at the same time, each loading for them locally? &nbsp;(Already a thing! Awesome!) If the above features were implemented, the ability to create a button (via API or otherwise) to let players move between maps would be amazing, so I could have a designated "door" token on Map A that would let a player move themselves to Map B, for example.&nbsp; The ability to set a default location the page loads would be amazing (such as centering the map on a specific token or set of coordinates when the page loads).
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
As even more of a pipe dream, what about the ability to have players on separate maps at the same time, each loading for them locally? Already exists.&nbsp; Open your maps bar, and then from wherever the player avatars are displayed at your table, drag someone to a new map.&nbsp; To have them rejoin the party, drag the little avatar from the map page to the Players ribbon :)
Well, people keep adding votes and making comments on this two to three year old thread. I'm so glad so many agree that this should be a standard feature available at all levels of subscription. I guess it will just keep gathering votes and comments until the Orr Group developers attend to it.&nbsp; :-)
GenKitty said: As even more of a pipe dream, what about the ability to have players on separate maps at the same time, each loading for them locally? Already exists.&nbsp; Open your maps bar, and then from wherever the player avatars are displayed at your table, drag someone to a new map.&nbsp; To have them rejoin the party, drag the little avatar from the map page to the Players ribbon :) That's awesome! Thank you! (I've updated my wish list accordingly.)
As someone who, very rarely, does one-shot campaigns and prefers large and grand worlds for my players to run about in, I think it's terrible that after 2 years of asking 0 headway has been made and no explanation or addition to a timeline has been given by the developers. It would make a lot of people much happier.
Completely new to roll20 and running a homebrew campaign. I've gotten a little map happy and the majority of my games are one-shots. Folders for pages would be a godsend. I've gotten to the point where I've made a "intermission" page just to put the players on while I drag that page to the page I actually want them on
pankeikaku said: I've made a "intermission" page just to put the players on while I drag that page to the page I actually want them on .... while it shouldn't be necessary, that's a good workaround! Otherwise I end up dropping them halfway there on some random page, ugh.