Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A better way to organize pages.

pankeikaku said: Completely new to roll20 and running a homebrew campaign. I've gotten a little map happy and the majority of my games are one-shots. Folders for pages would be a godsend. I've gotten to the point where I've made a "intermission" page just to put the players on while I drag that page to the page I actually want them on Nice workaround. Think I'll add one "please stand by while I beat Roll20 into submission" Enough of my players have GM'd on Roll20 to understand the map issue. But it is completely ridiculous that there isn't at least a folder system set up by now.
Sabrina A. said: pankeikaku said: Completely new to roll20 and running a homebrew campaign. I've gotten a little map happy and the majority of my games are one-shots. Folders for pages would be a godsend. I've gotten to the point where I've made a "intermission" page just to put the players on while I drag that page to the page I actually want them on Nice workaround. Think I'll add one "please stand by while I beat Roll20 into submission" Enough of my players have GM'd on Roll20 to understand the map issue. But it is completely ridiculous that there isn't at least a folder system set up by now. I've had an "march order/buff/intermission" page for nearly as long as I've been on Roll20. I copy and paste from there to the maps where the action is. It's usually on this page that I let my players decide on their buffs and defensive preparations before I drop them into dangerous maps. The idea is a good one for lots of reasons, never mind the page organization problem. But yes, it's been three years now and folders for organizing pages is really a feature that should be native at all levels of subscription. Let's kick this out of "Long Term" and into "On Dev!"
I'm really looking for a way to manage the separate adventures that make up a campaign. Folders would be a godsend. +1 to this feature request.

Edited 1528816351
I've just started a new plot arc in my campaign. This is going to generate a whole new set of maps. It's going to be a pain to keep those separate from my old plot thread maps, especially if I throw some of them into archive--which is really the ONLY de facto folder. Pretty please with sugar on top, Orr Group, set aside time and development resources to fix this! 
I've taken to splitting up my campaign into multiple games. I have the campaign spread across 4 games so far - and even then they are still so large each by themselves that I can't use the "Copy Game" functionality - Firebase errors out saying there is too much data. I even sent an email and spoke with devs about it and they said there was nothing they could do and that my games were too large.
Kastion said: I've taken to splitting up my campaign into multiple games. I have the campaign spread across 4 games so far - and even then they are still so large each by themselves that I can't use the "Copy Game" functionality - Firebase errors out saying there is too much data. I even sent an email and spoke with devs about it and they said there was nothing they could do and that my games were too large. Yeah, starting a whole new gamespace just for this purpose seems really cumbersome. I have no idea how that looks on the server-side is it more or less efficient for Orr's hosting?
+1.
oh my God I was irritated by this until I saw the comment by the poor guy with 9000 pages!!! make it happen!! please
Surely this cant be hard to fix... i read somewhere that R20 team will need to do a lot of re-writing the backend to get this to work... why? surely you can just use "slashes" to organise? If a map's name is "City/City1" it is in the city folder, it it is "Forest/orccamp" it is in Forest, if it is "Dungeon1" it has no folder. Backend wise, there would be no difference, but on the front end, the html5/java code would see the slash and parce the map into a "folder" This is how most menu bars work in software, and will not need any backend work, only client/browser code
I give my +1 vote for the folders system, and I am appalled. How is it possible to wait THREE YEARS AND A HALF for something that MANY people asks for and that seems NOT complicated to do, contrarily to the compendium or the new Charactermancer for D&D? I had something like 100 pages at a moment, before I had to merge every different areas in the same zone (for example in the same city, I had a map for the tavern, black-smith and so on) in a single map, helping me not to scroll the whole thing to move players... To me, the actual map toolbar is painful when you want to play efficiency. Then, I had another suggestion about maps : what about a real copy of a map? With EVERYTHING on it?
JJhound
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1 for total revamping of the map toolbar. Can't we just add it as a tab to the other toolbars, have folder accessibility and all - exactly like the journal section, but just add an active map functionality? 
I need this so much. I have multiple sessions based on the same world and It's a pain scrolling through pages.

Edited 1533656289
Sklanthar R. said: oh my God I was irritated by this until I saw the comment by the poor guy with 9000 pages!!! make it happen!! please Yep, there's always someone that has it worse! Finiariel said: I give my +1 vote for the folders system, and I am appalled. How is it possible to wait THREE YEARS AND A HALF for something that MANY people asks for and that seems NOT complicated to do, contrarily to the compendium or the new Charactermancer for D&D? As this thread's originator, that is the question of the hour, isn't it? The fix seems simple as both Thom and Josh say: Joshua M. said: +1 for total revamping of the map toolbar. Can't we just add it as a tab to the other toolbars, have folder accessibility and all - exactly like the journal section, but just add an active map functionality?  Thomas B. said: Surely this cant be hard to fix... i read somewhere that R20 team will need to do a lot of re-writing the backend to get this to work... why? surely you can just use "slashes" to organise? If a map's name is "City/City1" it is in the city folder, it it is "Forest/orccamp" it is in Forest, if it is "Dungeon1" it has no folder. Backend wise, there would be no difference, but on the front end, the html5/java code would see the slash and parce the map into a "folder" Orr Group Developers, please make this happen.

Edited 1531994213
Having the ability to create folders to organize map pages, as well as being able to put player 1 in on map A and player 2 on map B (for example) would be really nice, for GM expérience like for that of players. A new GM, but a fan of roll20, really thanks for your job, but please, make this happen. Backaran.
+1, I only plan a week or two.
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Backaran said: Having the ability to create folders to organize map pages, as well as being able to put player 1 in on map A and player 2 on map B (for example) would be really nice, for GM expérience like for that of players. A new GM, but a fan of roll20, really thanks for your job, but please, make this happen. Backaran. Hello, you can already put player A on one map by pulling his avatar to the map, and player B on another map by pulling his avatar onto the other map :)
+1 I would love to be able to adjust the size of that tab and to have the ability to use folders in it. Please make this happen Roll20 gods.
+1  I need separate map folders for a rotating GM group so that we can hide maps from each other when by working in our own folders when we are not acting as players. This is key. Right now we can have folders for each gm for handouts and tokens but if we could add view permissions to the map and journal folders so that we could actually hide them and clean up the view instead of just trying to ignore the folders.... That would be awesome. Also, token health formulas for random health mobs. I know its slightly off topic but still a good quality of life improvement.
Daniel F. said: Also, token health formulas for random health mobs. I know its slightly off topic but still a good quality of life improvement. This is already possible through use of the API.
Stuart M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I would love this too.
I'm very grateful the Orr Group developers have got round to improving the behavior of the gamespace's ruler in the promised "A Measured Update!" (Still on the Dev Server.) I am hopeful my suggestion will see the light of day. Perhaps they'll call it "Folders of Fun?"  
+1 to this.  Could really use folders for pages.   Daniel F. said: +1  I need separate map folders for a rotating GM group so that we can hide maps from each other when by working in our own folders when we are not acting as players. This is key. Right now we can have folders for each gm for handouts and tokens but if we could add view permissions to the map and journal folders so that we could actually hide them and clean up the view instead of just trying to ignore the folders.... That would be awesome. I'm in the same boat as Daniel.  Don't really need to hide things from my fellow DM (no peeking, Houson!), but it would be swell if we could have our own "space" as to not spoil things for the other.  We're just starting this campaign (3 sessions in), and it's already a PitA to have to archive/unarchive pages. Thanks!
Agreed, there is more or less universal call for the ability for folders to be added that the fact it has been several years without getting it is making me wonder what the Dev Team's priorities are.
Joshua P. said: Agreed, there is more or less universal call for the ability for folders to be added that the fact it has been several years without getting it is making me wonder what the Dev Team's priorities are. I'll not disagree that this topic has been here a long time, and several others with many votes. But I will say the Roll20 Dev team has been pumping out a lot of enhancements within the last 2 months. I would give them a little bit of time to wrap up the bugs on those features. I'm sure this is on their radar.
I also host a game for multiple GMs.  We don't look at each others stuff, on the honor system.  But simply having folders to organize maps would help the next GM get ready, without clogging up real estate for the current GM.    +1
+1. This is basic, necessary functionality.
How is this still not a thing?
Jeremy said: Joshua P. said: Agreed, there is more or less universal call for the ability for folders to be added that the fact it has been several years without getting it is making me wonder what the Dev Team's priorities are. I'll not disagree that this topic has been here a long time, and several others with many votes. But I will say the Roll20 Dev team has been pumping out a lot of enhancements within the last 2 months. I would give them a little bit of time to wrap up the bugs on those features. I'm sure this is on their radar. And as the thread's originator, I can say that the number of votes has more than doubled from what it was just over a year ago. People are paying attention. I hope this is the next big thing on Orr Group's radar.
Kevin F. said: How is this still not a thing? Initial Post: Feb 16, 2015 First user-made solution: Oct 18, 2016 Sky &nbsp;said: Here's my Chrome Stylish extension css solution for the page toolbar. Given how simple it was to create these adjustments to the page toolbar... I have no idea why we're still stuck with the single scrolling row of pages we have right now. Apply to URL <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/</a> #page-toolbar { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 74%; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 78%; &nbsp; &nbsp; background-color: #CCC; &nbsp; &nbsp; border: 1px solid #000; &nbsp; &nbsp; border-radius: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin:0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px 0px 0px 1%; } #page-toolbar .handle { &nbsp; &nbsp; right: 20px!important; } #page-toolbar .container, #page-toolbar .pages { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 100%; } #page-toolbar .availablepage { &nbsp; &nbsp; float: left; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 50px; &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 50px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px; } Mod team bumped solution to first response in thread: Nov 4, 2016 <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscreen-page-bar#post-1818695" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscreen-page-bar#post-1818695</a> Many Many upvotes and +1s from Normal, Plus, Pro users as well as API Scripters, Sheet Authors, Marketplace Creators, Kickstarter Backers, etc. First response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality. Most recent response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality. A quick and easy solution is available to all. This is a thing. Has been for years. I've removed my vote, thanks for the solution folks!

Edited 1537219114
Phnord Prephect said: A quick and easy solution is available to all. This is a thing. Has been for years. I've removed my vote, thanks for the solution folks! But the stylish extension only puts pages on the page bar into a two dimensional array which is not really a fix as the number of pages grows large . It only "fixes" it kinda-sorta. It's not accurate to claim this is a solution to the problem I described three years ago. I guess it helps a bit but what I desire is much better: folders for pages. And many of us are still waiting for that.
Mr. Farlops said: Phnord Prephect said: A quick and easy solution is available to all. This is a thing. Has been for years. I've removed my vote, thanks for the solution folks! But the stylish extension only puts pages on the page bar into a two dimensional array which is not really a fix as the number of pages grows large . It only "fixes" it kinda-sorta. It's not accurate to claim this is a solution to the problem I described three years ago. I guess it helps a bit but what I desire is much better: folders for pages. And many of us are still waiting for that. This script also does not allow you to reorder the pages. That is my challenge with the current implementation. To move a map from the end of the list to the beginning for say a purchased module requires multiple steps of dragging the map several spaced, scrolling, then repeating. And I'm using a 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide. I can't imagine trying to do this on a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Edited 1537223148
Jeremy said: This script also does not allow you to reorder the pages. That is my challenge with the current implementation. To move a map from the end of the list to the beginning for say a purchased module requires multiple steps of dragging the map several spaced, scrolling, then repeating. And I'm using a 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide. I can't imagine trying to do this on a 1920 x 1080 monitor. Exactly, and the whole point is you shouldn't have to reorder pages! Folders, especially folders that allowed multiple nesting would, completely eliminate the need for that. Just put the purchased maps for a module or scenario into the appropriate subfolder within a folder labeled, "Purchased adventures" or something.&nbsp;
Mr. Farlops said: Jeremy said: This script also does not allow you to reorder the pages. That is my challenge with the current implementation. To move a map from the end of the list to the beginning for say a purchased module requires multiple steps of dragging the map several spaced, scrolling, then repeating. And I'm using a 3440 x 1440 Ultrawide. I can't imagine trying to do this on a 1920 x 1080 monitor. Exactly, and the whole point is you shouldn't have to reorder pages! Folders, especially folders that allowed multiple nesting would, completely eliminate the need for that. Just put the purchased maps for a module or scenario into the appropriate subfolder within a folder labeled, "Purchased adventures" or something.&nbsp; Even if multiple nesting wasn't available, just having "cities", "current", "sci-fi", etc, would be vastly more user-friendly than the clusterf* we've got right now. I'd probably buy more maps from R20 if I had a way to organize them into a useful setup.
I use firefox. I don't want to include an extension, or add custom JS, I want the devs to build in a basic and core function. I started a new campaign and already within 5 weeks this is becoming a pain point. Just fix it. This 5th ed campaign might be my last one on this platform if the devs (or their 'managers') fail to add a utterly basic feature. I am beginning to grow tired supporting a platform that adds features so very, very, very slowly. 3 years to fix this. 3 years. 3 --- three, that is 3, years. Please just fix it. Phnord Prephect said: Kevin F. said: How is this still not a thing? Initial Post: Feb 16, 2015 First user-made solution: Oct 18, 2016 Sky &nbsp;said: Here's my Chrome Stylish extension css solution for the page toolbar. Given how simple it was to create these adjustments to the page toolbar... I have no idea why we're still stuck with the single scrolling row of pages we have right now. Apply to URL <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/</a> #page-toolbar { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 74%; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 78%; &nbsp; &nbsp; background-color: #CCC; &nbsp; &nbsp; border: 1px solid #000; &nbsp; &nbsp; border-radius: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin:0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px 0px 0px 1%; } #page-toolbar .handle { &nbsp; &nbsp; right: 20px!important; } #page-toolbar .container, #page-toolbar .pages { &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 100%; } #page-toolbar .availablepage { &nbsp; &nbsp; float: left; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: 50px; &nbsp; &nbsp; height: 50px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px; } Mod team bumped solution to first response in thread: Nov 4, 2016 <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscreen-page-bar#post-1818695" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1818695/fullscreen-page-bar#post-1818695</a> Many Many upvotes and +1s from Normal, Plus, Pro users as well as API Scripters, Sheet Authors, Marketplace Creators, Kickstarter Backers, etc. First response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality. Most recent response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality. A quick and easy solution is available to all. This is a thing. Has been for years. I've removed my vote, thanks for the solution folks!
I would like to see this as well.
+1 This suggestion is three years old, has been highly requested, and would be simple to implement. Why hasn't anything been done yet?
Update from devs please?
Entropomancer said: Update from devs please? Update from devs please?
I also want to see this addressed.
Update from devs please?
any sort of update to pages would be amazing.
update please
First response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality. Most recent response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality.
update please
THIS!! Even on my first session of the new campaign, I had about a dozen maps, and ended up putting the region map in the middle of the scroll bar so I could drag players there, then to their destination, because otherwise spoilers! Putting it as a tab on the right would be great, expandable for thumbnails, and able to put in folders, sort like journal stuff.
update please
+1 for folders as well... However, if folders really isn't an option because of how much back end code would need to change, how about tags and filters.&nbsp; It should be relatively simple to let GMs add custom tags to pages, and then filter based off those tags.&nbsp; Not necessarily as handy as folders, but might be an easier implementation.
Phnord Prephect said: First response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality. Most recent response from Roll20 Officials: Sept 14, 2017 Nolan T. J. &nbsp;said: No timeline on this. We agree that this is useful functionality.