Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 (Q1Y2020)

Hey folks -  Another update as well: we have created a ticket related to the initiative formula issues and the dev team will try to get it addressed as soon as they can. Thanks everyone! :)
is anyone experiencing something like this?

Edited 1582753316
Yes, its like all the graphics have been removed.  I tried to switch character sheets used in game and come back to it and still getting the same thing.
Hey folks -  We're aware of this problem and working on it as we speak. I'm attaching a copy of my earlier response from page 3 of this thread for reference: Nicholas  said: Hey everyone -  To anyone experiencing issues with this sheet's formatting, as mentioned  in this post , we're still experiencing some difficulties related to our image delivery and caching service. Please hang tight folks; our DevOps team is working to get this resolved as soon as possible. To better consolidate reports and communication regarding this issue, we would ask that you please follow this  main thread  for further updates. Thank you for your patience!
The Charactermancer also seems to be totally messed up. I have Odyssey of the Dragonlords as well as the Player Handbook and sometimes it only gives me SRD class options, sometimes only Custom, and sometimes all the correct options are there.
I hope this is the right spot as I am new here. I purchased the PHB and Xanathar's from the marketplace but when I started a game and used the charactermancer, I don't see either of the books or there options come up when building the toon. For example, I only get oath of Devotion when building a paladin instead of the three options. Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance.
I really wished they tested these updates more before releasing them to the public.
Any update when this sheet will be fixed? Have a session tonight and want to inform my players.
My character sheet issues have been resolved, but the borders for chat roll entries are still busted.
Having issues with all PC sheet skill rolls, initiative, history, investigation, etc
This is literally what the Initiative roll formula is right now on the OGL Sheet. Just change this: <button type="roll" name="roll_initiative" value="@{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{init-u}}} {{mod=@{initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[{@{initiative_style}, 0d1+(@{reliable_talent}*(@{jack_of_all_trades}/@{jack_of_all_trades}))}kh1+ @{survival_bonus} @{pbd_safe}[INIT] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} @{charname_output}" data-i18n="init-u" class="btn ui-draggable">INITIATIVE</button> To this: <button type="roll" name="roll_initiative" value="@{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{init-u}}} {{mod=@{initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[{@{initiative_style}, 0d1+(@{reliable_talent}*(@{jack_of_all_trades}/@{jack_of_all_trades}))}kh1+ @{initiative_bonus} @{pbd_safe}[INIT] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} @{charname_output}" data-i18n="init-u" class="btn ui-draggable">INITIATIVE</button> Because it's using the survival bonus instead of the initiative, because only God knows why. It literally takes less than a minute to fix.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That is not the only problem. Reliable Talent is in there, where it has no business existing.
A couple things to adjust for getting the initiative to calculate properly: Change @{survival_bonus} to @{initiative_bonus} Change the roll to just use @{initiative_style} instead of possibly applying Reliable Talent if JoAT is in use. "@{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{init-u}}} {{mod=@{initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{initiative_style}+@{initiative_bonus}@{pbd_safe}[INIT] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} @{charname_output}" Why this change for Reliable Talent?  It does not apply to checks where Jack of All Trades applies, because you're not adding proficiency.  If that's not really the case, then all of the other ability check macros will need changing to apply Reliable Talent on JoAT. (They currently do not). And on the subject of Jack of All Trades, I've been wondering if or when support for the Champion Fighter's "Remarkable Athlete" will be added.  It's something similar to Jack of All Trades, it's rounded up(!), and it only applies to checks using Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. I ask because it's an ability of one of the Basic/SRD Fighter's only subclass, and is fairly important in ways.

Edited 1582871563
<button type="roll" name="roll_initiative" value="@{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{init-u}}} {{mod=@{initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{initiative_style}+@{jack_of_all_trades}+@{initiative_bonus}@{pbd_safe}[INIT] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} @{charname_output}" data-i18n="init-u" class="btn ui-draggable">INITIATIVE</button> This is the best I can think of right now for the Initiative roll. (and that works 100% of the time) It really didn't take long, this issue should be fixed by now.

Edited 1582870192
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeyinde said: A couple things to adjust for getting the initiative to calculate properly: Change @{survival_bonus} to @{initiative_bonus} Change the roll to just use @{initiative_style} instead of possibly applying Reliable Talent if JoAT is in use. "@{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{init-u}}} {{mod=@{initiative_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{initiative_style}+@{initiative_bonus}@{pbd_safe}[INIT] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} @{charname_output}" Why this change for Reliable Talent?  It does not apply to checks where Jack of All Trades applies, because you're not adding proficiency.  If that's not really the case, then all of the other ability check macros will need changing to apply Reliable Talent on JoAT. (They currently do not). And on the subject of Jack of All Trades, I've been wondering if or when support for the Champion Fighter's "Remarkable Athlete" will be added.  It's something similar to Jack of All Trades, it's rounded up(!), and it only applies to checks using Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. I ask because it's an ability of one of the Basic/SRD Fighter's only subclass, and is fairly important in ways. Reliable Talent does not work with Jack of All Trades or Remarkable Athlete, per the 2019 Sage Advice Compendium .
Any Roll20 team members available for an update on where we're at with these issues?
For some reason when using the NPC version of this sheet, I've been having trouble getting the actions to expand when clicking on the cogwheel. Sometimes the wrong one expands when I click the cogwheel above it, and sometimes the action won't expand at all.
Was just going to post a thread on broken initiative....but here it is. FYI - still broken.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Initiative Hotfix did not address Reliable Talent.
Hey folks,  We've received a number of notifications pertaining to incorrect roll templates and with 'reliable talent' specifically as being a potential cause. We appreciate you letting us know, and we're investigating this in particular to determine what updates need to happen. However, the previous initiative and roll template formatting issues  have been hotfixed , and should be working as expected. We thank you for your patience, and will let you know once we have more information.

Edited 1582926252
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings D&D fans, We've had a number of hotfixes go out as Juniper mentioned. You should see less problems with initiative. My personal apologies for the interruption this caused everyone. For the Reliable Talent support, we've discovered two conflicting rules clarifications. We're reviewing what we programmed now and looking over the source material for a potential change to how it functions. That update will be in a standard deployment in the future if needed. Please hang in there while we work through some of the more challenging parts of this character sheet. It may be a bit rocky as we do some refactoring but I promise it will be worth it in the long run. We're adding Honor & Sanity support, fixing numerous bugs in drag & drop and Charactermancer, and implementing long time requested features. - Cassie User Collaboration Team Lead
Cassie said: Greetings D&D fans, We've had a number of hotfixes go out as Juniper mentioned. You should see less problems with initiative. My personal apologies for the interruption this caused everyone. For the Reliable Talent support, we've discovered two conflicting rules clarifications. We're reviewing what we programmed now and looking over the source material for a potential change to how it functions. That update will be in a standard deployment in the future if needed. Please hang in there while we work through some of the more challenging parts of this character sheet. It may be a bit rocky as we do some refactoring but I promise it will be worth it in the long run. We're adding Honor & Sanity support, fixing numerous bugs in drag & drop and Charactermancer, and implementing long time requested features. - Cassie User Collaboration Team Lead Looking forward to it!

Edited 1583066220
Good morning! I'm pretty sure this is a user error on my end; however, I can't seem to create monster sheets any longer. I have the MM and various other books in my game.   Last week when I dragged a Bulette from the compendium to a map, not only did I get the token on my map, but I also got their corresponding character sheet so I could roll for attacks, etc.   However, when I went to do that for a Zombie this morning no character sheet popped up.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  I DM a 5e D&D game that uses the roll20 OGL/charactermancer sheet.  Edit: Just did some further testing; I get the character sheet when I drag a monster to a battle map from the Creature Codex and Volo compendiums, just not the Monster Manual. 

Edited 1583091926
Issue regarding NPC sheets. Trying to add (or edit, for existing stats) skills for NPCs does not update the sheet at all. If I put in +5 to Athletics for a creature, the sheet reads as though it has no proficiency in that skill at all. As far as I can tell, this is the only issue, everything else updates as needed. Edit: Immediately after posting this, it decided to start working again. However, I checked a couple of my games and the issue was present in all of them, so it's clearly a bit inconsistent.
In addition, the optional Proficiency Die rule seems to be a bit busted on the sheet. A level 2 character with +3 Wisdom would normally have a proficiency bonus of +2, leading to a spell save DC of 13. Currently, the sheet is reading it as "11+d4". I don't believe it did that when I first set up the sheets this way and I don't think it's intended rules behaviour either. "Instead of adding a proficiency bonus to an ability check, an attack roll or saving throw, the character's player rolls a die." I believe things like spell save DCs are meant to continue to use static numbers with this rule.
Our rolls still look like this. This is presumably a d20 roll of a 5, with a 4 on the proficiency die, and a +3 skill modifier, which mathematically should come out to 12. Is there any word on this? This is two weeks I can't run for my table and my players are getting frustrated. Please help? Is there a workaround?
Class : Rogue (Unreliable Talent) Description of issue :  When reliable talent is used with proficiency dice, the rolls go wild. 1. Have character sheet 2. Activate Proficiency Dice and Reliable talent 3. Roll any proficient skill. 4. Something happens that isn't quite intended. This points towards an issue in the roll query that is fine (but redundant) when the proficiency dice is static. (10 multiplied by [proficiency bonus divided by proficiency bonus] (When static this is one, when rolled this is sometimes one, but not always). The Roll query below, highlighting of the problem area is my own. @{Ega Whexoe|wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{insight-u}}} {{mod=@{Ega Whexoe|insight_bonus}}} {{r1=[[{d20, 0d1+ (@{Ega Whexoe|reliable_talent}*(@{Ega Whexoe|insight_prof}/@{Ega Whexoe|insight_prof}))} kh1+@{Ega Whexoe|insight_bonus}@{Ega Whexoe|pbd_safe}]]}} @{Ega Whexoe|rtype_reliable}, 0d1+ (@{Ega Whexoe|reliable_talent}*(@{Ega Whexoe|insight_prof}/@{Ega Whexoe|insight_prof})) }kh1+@{Ega Whexoe|insight_bonus}@{Ega Whexoe|pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{Ega Whexoe|global_skill_mod}}} @{Ega Whexoe|charname_output} Screenshots:
Ushimimi said: Our rolls still look like this. This is presumably a d20 roll of a 5, with a 4 on the proficiency die, and a +3 skill modifier, which mathematically should come out to 12. Is there any word on this? This is two weeks I can't run for my table and my players are getting frustrated. Please help? Is there a workaround? The proficiency dice that rolled a 4 was the one in the reliable talent random inclusion, your proficiency dice rolled a 3 for that roll which is 11.  Just be careful with rogues in your party.  Funny numbers can be rolled if you check my post above
Thank you for the feedback. I've heard back from support (incidentally confirming your advice) and I'm grateful for everyone helping me understand. That said, I absolutely hate what this has done to the readability and transparency of Roll20 in general. It used to be that a green number meant a natural 20, and a red number meant a natural 1. You used to be able to read the formula to confirm that rolls were being made correctly. Now we have blue numbers(?) even if "Natural Talent" isn't relevant to the roll. I really feel like this is an aesthetically ugly choice, and one that damages the usability of the roll template. We've gone back to the Legacy sheet, so it's not an issue for us anymore, but I thought some end-user feedback on the design would be appropriate.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Blue numbers have always been around. They just indicate a total which contains both a maximum and minimum value.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Blue numbers have been around quite a while (I think the whole time I have been here).  That just denotes that on a roll that uses more than one die there was both a minimum and maximum roll.
I understand that. They just didn't come up in every game. The green numbers captured the excitement of a natural 20, and red numbers the natural 1, but now that bit of readability my table has come to rely on is gone. The numbers still work, but ease of use has decreased. I hope that explains my criticism more aptly.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Zorok, Thanks for reporting the issue with proficiency dice. We have a ticket it now to take another look at the Reliability Talent. - Cassie
Any news on the multiclassing front with the charactermancer? It's impossible to do multiclassing with it because it does not give you spells from the thing you are multiclassing into This is 4 lvl Divine Soul Sorcerer multing into 1 level of Grave Cleric and only spell it gave me was Spare The Dying cantrip. I reported this once before with Warlock + Paladin multiclass also Is there any info or feedback to a sheet what supports and works with charactermancer?  I have zero skills in coding and everything so I dont know myself how to fix this or anything and I do not want to seem whiny, but it's a bit annoying especially when I have but money into this and want it to work with the aspects of DnD which is multiclassing and not have to worry that it just breaks down.
Ziegrand said: Any news on the multiclassing front with the charactermancer? It's impossible to do multiclassing with it because it does not give you spells from the thing you are multiclassing into This is 4 lvl Divine Soul Sorcerer multing into 1 level of Grave Cleric and only spell it gave me was Spare The Dying cantrip. I reported this once before with Warlock + Paladin multiclass also Is there any info or feedback to a sheet what supports and works with charactermancer?  I have zero skills in coding and everything so I dont know myself how to fix this or anything and I do not want to seem whiny, but it's a bit annoying especially when I have but money into this and want it to work with the aspects of DnD which is multiclassing and not have to worry that it just breaks down. Make sure you aren't using the Charactermancer when in a pop-out window, it will not work properly.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This problem has been reported multiple times and is not due to the window being popped out. Also, as shown by the first screen shot. Some borders on Charactermancer have not been fixed from the recent graphics problem. This sheet and charactermancer need attention. It is the primary sheet on the primary system on Roll20. It should not be so problematic.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cassie (and possibly Nicholas, since both report on this thread): Now that sheet development has been moved to the proprietary server, there is no place other than this thread for users to report and track errors. Many errors are being reported as if they were new, despite being long-standing issues. Is there any way for fans of this sheet to be able to track what has been addressed and what is still a problem? I don't ask this because I feel users need to harp on particular issues, but the amount of time lost because people keep banging their heads over and trying to solve essentially sheet-level issues that have no user-resolution is frustrating. The number of people who must have worked for an hour or more trying to get Warlock slots to track properly for instance without realizing there is nothing in the sheet to account for them must be high.

Edited 1583626993
keithcurtis said: Cassie (and possibly Nicholas, since both report on this thread): Now that sheet development has been moved to the proprietary server, there is no place other than this thread for users to report and track errors. Many errors are being reported as if they were new, despite being long-standing issues. Is there any way for fans of this sheet to be able to track what has been addressed and what is still a problem? I don't ask this because I feel users need to harp on particular issues, but the amount of time lost because people keep banging their heads over and trying to solve essentially sheet-level issues that have no user-resolution is frustrating. The number of people who must have worked for an hour or more trying to get Warlock slots to track properly for instance without realizing there is nothing in the sheet to account for them must be high. Well said, it has been a lack luster start to the 2020 season.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I wouldn't use the word lackluster. I quite like the new Token Markers feature, and am really looking forward to trying out the rebuild of Dynamic Lighting next week. I'm just asking for a guide to what are the known issues with the sheet, not casting judgments.
keithcurtis said: I wouldn't use the word lackluster. I quite like the new Token Markers feature, and am really looking forward to trying out the rebuild of Dynamic Lighting next week. I'm just asking for a guide to what are the known issues with the sheet, not casting judgments. I was a bit broad in my statement, the roll20 features are great. I feel like the customer service and response to customer issues with the sheet seems to be "lackluster" this year. A lot of changes to the sheet without any real beta testing or even a heads up before doing so.
keithcurtis.  Do you know something the rest of us do not regarding the new Dynamic Lighting release?  Any mention has been "Soon" but you quote a specific timeframe of next week.  I mean, we have been in a holding pattern for AFOW for now going on 15 months with no resolution.  You give us hope but I am wondering if it makes sense to release this to the DEV servers first for review.  We know Roll20's track record on releasing new features.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Bob P. said: keithcurtis.&nbsp; Do you know something the rest of us do not regarding the new Dynamic Lighting release?&nbsp; Any mention has been "Soon" but you quote a specific timeframe of next week.&nbsp; I mean, we have been in a holding pattern for AFOW for now going on 15 months with no resolution.&nbsp; You give us hope but I am wondering if it makes sense to release this to the DEV servers first for review.&nbsp; We know Roll20's track record on releasing new features. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8178277/5-million-users-roll20-finds-critical-success" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8178277/5-million-users-roll20-finds-critical-success</a> From the link:&nbsp; Many of you have waited patiently for updates on our new Dynamic Lighting system. Today we can confirm that the new, updated Dynamic Lighting will become available for Pro subscribers to try out on the Dev Server NEXT WEEK. We weren’t planning to announce that yet, but what can we say? 5 million users deserve a little treat. The new Dynamic Lighting will integrate all lighting controls in one system and run faster to boot! We’ll have more information about what this update means for all subscribers next week. (Visit the Roll20 blog to see a small preview in action!)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Bob P. said: keithcurtis.&nbsp; Do you know something the rest of us do not regarding the new Dynamic Lighting release?&nbsp; Any mention has been "Soon" but you quote a specific timeframe of next week.&nbsp; I mean, we have been in a holding pattern for AFOW for now going on 15 months with no resolution.&nbsp; You give us hope but I am wondering if it makes sense to release this to the DEV servers first for review.&nbsp; We know Roll20's track record on releasing new features. Loren has answered the first part of the question. As for the rest of it, some releases have been hits, some have been misses. Releasing on the dev server first has ironed out a lot of bugs in every release, though. If it were released into Production without being vetted by an outside userbase, people would have to deal with those bugs in living games.
Caden
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greetings, Management of these large character sheet threads is currently under review. While responsibility for collecting bugs &amp; feedback is under revision this thread will still be monitored for bug reports and feature requests but active participation by myself will decline. I will leave you with this list of all the releases we have done over first quarter for 2020. We're actively rewriting the sheet to be more efficient, scalable, and maintainable. While doing this we are working through the backlog of issues.&nbsp; Task &nbsp;Refactor update_spell_slots &nbsp;NPC sheet still showing Deprecated Spellcasting text even when there are no spells in the deprecated section. Added the Fancy Styling into the normal CSS Reduce inputs on NPC used for 'UI' only CSS Code Health Move the images hosted on Imgur to an internal source Reliability Talent Revision Refactor processDrop to use javascript classes Additional image fixes Bug Global Damage Modifier - Crit Damage is incorrect Add back the Cantrip Progression select Charactermancer failing to apply a level 20 War Wizard Missing translation string in Charactermancer Level Up cancelation modal Cannot clear Charactermancer modal in Firefox +1 Weapon Drops for NPCs not working Mancer Lvl 1 - Backgrounds do not add gold Charactermancer: "choose-a-feat" shows untranslated string Story Update NPCs Reactions to work like PC traits &nbsp;Add roll buttons to Global Modifiers Fields Update NPC Traits to work like PC traits Hit dice box to show hit die type Support Rogue’s “Reliable Talent “Honor” and “Sanity” Abilities support
While I think it is great that backgrounds now correctly add starting gold to the character sheet, a lot of the miscellaneous items that backgrounds previously provided are now not added to the sheet, which is very sad to see. I understand that some things like a pet mouse (urchin) and a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer (sage) are merely flavourful and do not have any mechanical benefits, but it is a shame that, just because something doesn't have a compendium entry, things get missed off the list.
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Hey, Dan, don't worry. We are adding them back on the next build.
Hi. I’m a new player.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Currently some attacks are failing to populate the description field when dropped from the Compendium. Test cases include Drow Shadowblade and Stirge. The attack stats fill in, but not the description. Original Thread Occurs on Chrome and FF. Mac OS. With or without extensions active. Cache emptied. Console Log