Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 (Q1Y2020)

Tell me where can I get this html character sheet? I want to add localization, but there is no such possibility on the base sheets.
keithcurtis said: Kraynic said: Ron H. said: Why are there attributes defined for NPCs separately from player characters? For example, why is there 'AC' and 'npc_AC'? To go another step past what Oosh has mentioned, the npc stats are there so that when you create an npc, it doesn't trigger sheetworker scripts in an effort to reduce the data/calculation "weight" of the game.  Since your npcs will (most likely) vastly outnumber the PCs, the npcs are made as simply as possible for that reason. This makes perfect sense, but it does make coding a pain in the neck, particularly when attribute names don't consistently follow a standard naming convention. Yeah, that's the main reason I asked. But I figured there must be some very important reason why this was done, one that I should keep in mind as I code up my own solutions. As far as calculating AC (and other values like savings throws), back-calculating a base AC wouldn't be hard, and could be done once for compendiumm items.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
RTLong said: Tell me where can I get this html character sheet? I want to add localization, but there is no such possibility on the base sheets. You can find the html of the last public version of the sheet on the github repo . Sometime in the last year development was made proprietary, but the legacy sheet is still available. There are a number of variations based off of it.
One of my players created a 4th-level warlock with the Charactermancer and at 2nd level while selecting invocations Book of Ancient Secrets did not a prerequisite (Pact of the Tome), so it let her pick that invocation. Pact of the Tome would be selected at 3rd level as part of the Pact Boon class feature. 

Edited 1595520766
The damage roll template rolls the higher level casting critical damage regardless of the status of the critical flag. I.e., &{template:dmg} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=dmg1}} {{crit1=crit1}} {{hldmg=[[1d6]]}} {{hldmgcrit=[[1d6]]}} gives the following output:
Hey - when using the deep gnome NPC character block, I was unable to cast the cantrip "Poison Spray" with an appropriate DC I can't for the life of me figure out how this is happening, or where I should go to change it:
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Elizabeth said: Hey - when using the deep gnome NPC character block, I was unable to cast the cantrip "Poison Spray" with an appropriate DC I can't for the life of me figure out how this is happening, or where I should go to change it: If this is not a spellcasting PC, or if it is cast as a racial feature, and you need to use a particular ability to set the DC, change the "Spellcasting Ability" from "Spell" to the correct ability.
Is Volo's Guide, with the new races, now integrated into the charactermancer? I'm thinking of getting it, but for the charactermancer, and want to make sure it's been added.
Devin R. said: Is Volo's Guide, with the new races, now integrated into the charactermancer? I'm thinking of getting it, but for the charactermancer, and want to make sure it's been added. Yes, they are.
Brian C. said: Elizabeth said: Hey - when using the deep gnome NPC character block, I was unable to cast the cantrip "Poison Spray" with an appropriate DC I can't for the life of me figure out how this is happening, or where I should go to change it: If this is not a spellcasting PC, or if it is cast as a racial feature, and you need to use a particular ability to set the DC, change the "Spellcasting Ability" from "Spell" to the correct ability. Ahhh thank you! That was it!

Edited 1596226049
where do i find all this on app.roll20 on my pc? i am trying 2 upload an actual character sheet pdf & no help page is actually helpful
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Character sheets are html, css, and (if they have any automation) javascript.&nbsp; There is no way to import a pdf and have it function as a character sheet.&nbsp; When you create a game, you select which character sheet is to be used in that game.&nbsp; Then you (or the GM of that game) can add character sheets for players to fill in. <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037773373-Character-Sheet-Tips-and-Tricks" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037773373-Character-Sheet-Tips-and-Tricks</a> <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046574454-How-to-Create-a-Character" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046574454-How-to-Create-a-Character</a>
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Issue with new {npcfullatk} template As per this thread, the change to NPC descriptions has broken non-attack abilities for people with auto-roll damage switched on, as the new template {npcfullatk} will not output a description unless damage is rolled. It's also throwing up an Advantage query when no roll is needed (if set to Query for Advantage). I'm guessing the easiest fix is to not use the new template for non-attack NPC abilities when "always roll damage" is checked, and just use the old npcaction template for that combination... but I might be missing something obvious.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Came here to post what Oosh said. An NPC action that is not an attack should always show the description.
I will pipe in here and say even "legacy" Actions that are edited in the slightest (I changed a grammatical issue on an NPC Action) will result in this new logic being put in place. An older sheet's Action will work without needing to turn off the Always Rolls Damage option ONLY if it has not been touched in the last ~24 hours.
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
I am already taking a look at this, folks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Miguel!
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Just finished patching the action Description issue, it should go live tomorrow. In the meantime please turn off always roll damage. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused on your gaming sessions.
Thanks for the quick reply and work, Miguel!

Edited 1596672872
Bug Report: if an item "has an attack" (in order to get it listed under attacks &amp; spellcasting), but attack, damage, damage2, and saving throw are all unchecked, the ability's name isn't displayed in the chat when it's activated. For example, a smoke grenade doesn't have an attack, damage, or a save, but it does create an effect.&nbsp; Edit: it appears the item name appearing in the chat is attached to the damage, so if !damage then !label in the chat. Please decouple those. Thank you!
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm not seeing this behaviour, empty attacks seem to work fine, with description field included if you wish: Do you have more details on how you have the fields filled out? It's worth noting that this section uses the atk &amp; dmg templates, specifically designed for attacks with rolls for attack, damage or both. There are other templates, like npcaction and trait , which tend to look much better for non-attack uses.

Edited 1596682081
Try making one manually instead of drag from compendium&nbsp; Oosh said: I'm not seeing this behaviour, empty attacks seem to work fine, with description field included if you wish: Do you have more details on how you have the fields filled out? It's worth noting that this section uses the atk &amp; dmg templates, specifically designed for attacks with rolls for attack, damage or both. There are other templates, like npcaction and trait , which tend to look much better for non-attack uses.

Edited 1596707089
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Still works, I'm afraid. Clicked the + icon to create a new, empty attack. Unchecked all boxes and gave it a name: Can you screenshot your output and your attack settings? This is as raw as I can get it. I have not edited any field except the name. Edit - When testing, can you please name the ability Test or something extremely plain, one word, to make sure you don't have any { } | ( ) characters interfering with the macro. I feel like there's something to do with the item name that's causing your issue.
I hope this helps
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Does it work without the emoji in the title? Or is that just a Pro perk of some kind? That's a lot of emojis.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I couldn't figure out what toggles the behavior either, but wouldn't the expedient situation be to just put the name in the description? You can put it on its own line, and embolden it with asterisks: **Smoke Bomb** Does stuff
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Damage template still not displaying correctly Hi Miguel. Still having an issue with the damage template. Repro steps: Create brand new game with&nbsp;D&amp;D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet. drag in a giant spider click the web action (requires attack roll, does no damage, but has description) with default settings, click the "Attack" link in the roll template and the description shows. Good. change default behavior of Giant Spider to "Auto Roll Damage and Crit" Damage description field no longer displays. It seems that the damage field display is dependent on a damage roll being in the attack. On attacks such as the giant spider web attack, where there is an attack roll, but no damage, the description field does not display when&nbsp; "Auto Roll Damage and Crit" is chosen.
text output on attacks are back but token action bar is now no longer showing (existing characters are okay, new are not)
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Keith, I was able to reproduce your steps and I'll investigate the code. Stravos, would you be able to post some screenshots?

Edited 1596812877
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Stavros, That's odd. That's not a function of a character sheet. It's built into the journal itself. I.e. the token action bar will display even if you don't have a character sheet chosen for the game. When you say "new characters" do you mean ones pulled from the compendium or created with charactermancer, for which you have afterward created an action and set it to display on the bar? No characters have them by default. (Universal token actions created in the Macros collection tab should display, though).
Thanks for all your work on this Miguel, and thanks Keith for your interaction on other threads!
keithcurtis said: Hi Stavros, That's odd. That's not a function of a character sheet. It's built into the journal itself.&nbsp; Hi Keith, I tried two ways of generating. I was duplicating an existing monster to fix up the text issue (text was still not showing on the non-roll attack eg. multi attack, monsters swings twice with... but duplicating the monster fixed that) and after duplication the token bar will not show on the copied monster. Everything works correctly rolled directly from the character, but the token bar is not showing second I opened a brand new game as a test, new character, dragged a standard monster across to populate the character sheet, added an ability and flagged it for token bar : result no token bar. Can roll the ability (attack) from the character, but no bar. &nbsp; I’ll post some screen shots in a bit
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. I cannot duplicate this behavior. Are you deselecting and then re-selecting the token after creating the ability (to force the token bar to redraw)?
okay i found the issue with the token bar. Even though i had linked the token to the character by setting it as a default token, it was not representing the character on the token editor itself the field Represents Character &nbsp; changed to defaulting to none/generic&nbsp;token &nbsp;

Edited 1596846701
keithcurtis said: Hmm. I cannot duplicate this behavior. Are you deselecting and then re-selecting the token after creating the ability (to force the token bar to redraw)? yeah i was maybe operator error IDK update: now creating a new monster links the token &amp; displays correctly as it now doesn't default to the none/generic...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Until it becomes force of habit, it's easy to get a step out of order. Glad it's working now!
OMG - now i don't know what i'm doing wrong, the rolling actions/abilities is so messed up from the macro &amp; action tabs.&nbsp; sigh - just roll back the update... maybe, please? IDK maybe me, maybe whatever the heck was changed &nbsp;
Similar issue - I have a lot of NPC sheets set up with actions (such as spell-like effects) that require damage rolls but no attack rolls (think things like Magic Missile).&nbsp; Before the latest update, I could just fill in the damage to be rolled, uncheck the "attack" box, and click - voila, I could get a damage roll without an attack.&nbsp; Super easy and very useful - especially since D&amp;D has a *lot* of monsters that require a damage roll without an attack roll.&nbsp; Now, it doesn't work: - If Autoroll Damage and Crit is on, I get an output with the Title and Description, but no damage roll. - If Don't Auto Roll Damage is on, I get a damage roll - but no Title or Description.&nbsp; This was confusing the heck out of me and my players all night. Not a very technical guy, and not that savvy with API stuff, but the update is causing me a giant headache.&nbsp; Some fix for this?&nbsp; Not sure why this was set up in this way... Thanks! &nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
According to the preceding posts, the idea was to have the description field display only after a hit was registered. Many users felt there was confusion in the way attacks were being presented because it wasn't clear that the effects listed were contingent on a hit. In fixing the one problem, this other has occurred. I'm confident it will be cleared up soon.
I'm new so please set me straight if i'm doing something wrong. Miguel said: Keith, I was able to reproduce your steps and I'll investigate the code. Stravos, would you be able to post some screenshots?
Tom A. said: Similar issue - I have a lot of NPC sheets set up with actions (such as spell-like effects) that require damage rolls but no attack rolls (think things like Magic Missile).&nbsp; Before the latest update, I could just fill in the damage to be rolled, uncheck the "attack" box, and click - voila, I could get a damage roll without an attack.&nbsp; Super easy and very useful - especially since D&amp;D has a *lot* of monsters that require a damage roll without an attack roll.&nbsp; Now, it doesn't work: - If Autoroll Damage and Crit is on, I get an output with the Title and Description, but no damage roll. - If Don't Auto Roll Damage is on, I get a damage roll - but no Title or Description.&nbsp; This was confusing the heck out of me and my players all night. Not a very technical guy, and not that savvy with API stuff, but the update is causing me a giant headache.&nbsp; Some fix for this?&nbsp; Not sure why this was set up in this way... Thanks! &nbsp; Same here. I am exclusively using the "auto roll damage on" setting and also used the trick Tom mentioned (uncheck attack box and then damage would be rolled with the description). I can confirm that in my case it still works the intended way for actions set up in the past but not for new ones or if they are changed.&nbsp; I also would very, very much prefer if the old behaviour returned where this works. Definitely a downgrade for me... :-/
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: According to the preceding posts, the idea was to have the description field display only after a hit was registered. Many users felt there was confusion in the way attacks were being presented because it wasn't clear that the effects listed were contingent on a hit. In fixing the one problem, this other has occurred. I'm confident it will be cleared up soon. And to be clear, this change for the description to be moved from the attack template to the damage template was for actions that have an attack roll. I asked for the other actions that do not have an attack roll to remain unchanged.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm sure it was an oversight that will be quickly corrected this coming week.
Is it possible to modify the charactermancer?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Modify how? If you want to tweak the appearance, you can do that with the Stylus extension. If you want to change the function or the data, then no, not really.

Edited 1597033034
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
The issue with the action description was already fixed, it should make into production on the next build.