Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 (Q1Y2020)

Dragonsbane777 said: QUESTION: BLIND ROLLS I tried searching for the answer but found nothing. Is there a way on the 5E sheet to make it so a player rolls and does not see the roll? I am finding the need for this when not using passive scores. IE have them roll Stealth or a Save or whatever, only output to DM? Thanks ahead for replies A cheap and dirty solution is to make copies of the character sheet that only the DM has access to (and is set to whisper to GM) and then the DM makes the roll (a side benefit is the player is not alerted there is a roll being made). This would require updating the copy anytime the character's stats change, etc. You could make macros that call the rolls from the sheet so you don't have to open the sheet. It might even work to use macros to whisper to gm any roll from a player controlled sheet by referencing the attribute from the sheet in the macro. Haven't tried it, though.
Doug E. said: It might even work to use macros to whisper to gm any roll from a player controlled sheet by referencing the attribute from the sheet in the macro. Haven't tried it, though. Yes, that should work, as there is no reason the player who controls the sheet would see the roll since they did not initiate it, and it was not sent to them.

Edited 1608493584
Bug with ability score modifiers when resetting character back to level 1 and rerolling ability scores.  The modifiers are for the old ability scores, not the new ability scores.  For example, see the modifiers vs ability scores here for a character that was reset to level 1 and rerolled ability scores. In the Charactermancer Level Up summary, it tries to fix the modifiers, but after completing level up, they are still wrong (modifiers based on original ability scores, not current ability scores).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think that Charactermancer is built to allow you to "level down" to level one.

Edited 1608501563
keithcurtis said: I don't think that Charactermancer is built to allow you to "level down" to level one. This option resets Level to 1 and rerolls the character.  When you use this option, and go through character creation, including rolling or selecting ability scores, the modifiers are incorrect.   But I did find a workaround.  If you go into the Attribute Options under Settings and change them from 0 to 1 and back to 0, this resets the ability modifiers to be correct.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. I'd never heard of it being used that way. My assumption has always been that that top button essentially meant "New Character".
keithcurtis said: Hmm. I'd never heard of it being used that way. My assumption has always been that that top button essentially meant "New Character". Yes.  When you use that button to reset the existing character and make a new character, it keeps the ability score modifiers from the previous character.  I guess I'm not making myself very clear.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm intrigued. What would be preferable to this method rather than just creating a brand new character?
keithcurtis said: I'm intrigued. What would be preferable to this method rather than just creating a brand new character? If you're not the DM and don't want to ask for a new character sheet...
Wolf Thunderspirit said: keithcurtis said: I'm intrigued. What would be preferable to this method rather than just creating a brand new character? If you're not the DM and don't want to ask for a new character sheet... And there's not much other use for the button.  Either it should work properly, or it shouldn't be there :-)
I don't know if this has been reported before but when you build a paladin using the charactermancer, there is an issue. When you add the aura of protection at 6th level, this is added to the sheet as a global save modifier. This is problematic because this then applies to Death Saves but does not make this immediately apparent since the value is just treated as a modifier (i.e. the (0) is instead a (4)). Can I suggest that this is replaced with something on the "Global save modifier field". This way it is more apparent that a bonus is being added and can be turned off readily with a checkbox for death saves.

Edited 1608685279
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
George L. said: I don't know if this has been reported before but when you build a paladin using the charactermancer, there is an issue. When you add the aura of protection at 6th level, this is added to the sheet as a global save modifier. This is problematic because this then applies to Death Saves but does not make this immediately apparent since the value is just treated as a modifier (i.e. the (0) is instead a (4)). Can I suggest that this is replaced with something on the "Global save modifier field". This way it is more apparent that a bonus is being added and can be turned off readily with a checkbox for death saves. Paladin bonuses do affect death saves, both for the paladin and their allies within range. This has been confirmed both by RAW reading of the rules and tweet by Jeremy Crawford, and the sheet reflects this. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking?

Edited 1608694017
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
All true Keith, but they don't affect the Paladin's own death save, since the Paladin is unconscious the Aura is no longer active. And the Paladin's own saves are the only ones affected by the global modifier (if I'm understanding the problem rightly). An API script can automate that kind of thing, and remove the bonus for a Paladin with 0 HP, but for free & Plus you don't have that option. You could change the modifier to this: [[ceil(@{hp}/500)]]*@{charisma}[CHA] To give you a +0 if your HP is 0. Increase the 500 if you're playing some kind of superhero mode where your HP could conceivably be more than that. The other option is turning it off, and having an aura set up on the Paladin's token as a reminder for the AoP bonus.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, true, I had neglected that little Catch 22: "You must be conscious to grant this bonus." I was thinking more of granting it to others.
keithcurtis said: Paladin bonuses do affect death saves, both for the paladin and their allies within range. Paladins can't affect their own death saves as the aura stops if the paladin is unconscious.

Edited 1608724059
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Dear fellow D&D players, I am sorry if I haven't been so present lately, I am still looking at this topic everyday, I am just doing so under the effects of Pass Without Trace ;) Jokes apart, we have been really busy working on things from Tasha, like character customization, feat automation, bug fixing and etc. In between one thing and the other, I've managed to add the Spell Saving DC on both Spell card and The Spell Information Only templates, as suggested by  Desecrator 7 . It is now under QA and should be live as soon as it is approved. I wish you all a happy Christmas and a wonderful new year.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Nifty. Thanks for update, Miguel. Happy holidays to all.
Miguel said: Dear fellow D&D players, I am sorry if I haven't been so present lately, I am still looking at this topic everyday, I am just doing so under the effects of Pass Without Trace ;) Jokes apart, we have been really busy working on things from Tasha, like character customization, feat automation, bug fixing and etc. In between one thing and the other, I've managed to add the Spell Saving DC on both Spell card and The Spell Information Only templates, as suggested by  Desecrator 7 . It is now under QA and should be live as soon as it is approved. I wish you all a happy Christmas and a wonderful new year. Thank you! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Miguel! Take a holiday break!
Can something similar be done for class abilities like Stunning Strike that have save DCs? This might take more work but it would be just as useful. Miguel said: Jokes apart, we have been really busy working on things from Tasha, like character customization, feat automation, bug fixing and etc. In between one thing and the other, I've managed to add the Spell Saving DC on both Spell card and The Spell Information Only templates, as suggested by  Desecrator 7 . It is now under QA and should be live as soon as it is approved.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Those Monk abilities badly need some entries in Attacks & Spellcasting, explaining what they do & showing the DC. The Monk is a nightmare for a new player, unless they want to spend the whole game trawling through their traits section. I have a bunch of monk abilities macro'd into a couple of easy menus if you have a player who needs them, Saul? It gives options & DC's for things like Stunning Strike & Flurry of Blows, and short descriptions for all the bonus action options etc.
No, I'm good.  I played a monk and had a really good time with in a game before we moved to Roll20 so I'm familiar with it. But, with the changes happening to the spells, I thought it would be nice if character abilities that also made use of DCs could be dealt with the same way. The monk abilities came immediately to mind but I think there are others.  For example, some of the abilities of the Barbarian, Path of the Storm Herald - the Storm Aura effects, I think reference the barbarian's DC. Oosh said: Those Monk abilities badly need some entries in Attacks & Spellcasting, explaining what they do & showing the DC. The Monk is a nightmare for a new player, unless they want to spend the whole game trawling through their traits section. I have a bunch of monk abilities macro'd into a couple of easy menus if you have a player who needs them, Saul? It gives options & DC's for things like Stunning Strike & Flurry of Blows, and short descriptions for all the bonus action options etc.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I use the Customizable Roll Listener script. Anytime a spell is cast that has certain keywords in it related to saving throws, it automatically runs one of six macros, ex:  /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=Constitution Save}} {{description=[Constitution Save](!group-check --Constitution Save) | [DAMAGE️](~Macros|Save-Damage)}} which shows this: The first button will make a group check saving throw for any selected token(s), the second runs Group Check and Apply Damage, in case the spell was area effect and dealt damage: !group-check {{ --hideformula --public --?{Which Save Stat|Strength,Strength Save|Dexterity,Dexterity Save|Constitution,Constitution Save|Intelligence,Intelligence Save|Wisdom,Wisdom Save|Charisma,Charisma Save} --process --subheader vs DC ?{DC} --button ApplyDamage !apply-damage ~dmg [[?{Damage}]] ~type ?{Damage on Save|Half,half|None,none} ~DC ?{DC} ~saves RESULTS(,) ~ids IDS(,) }} Done ... But it depends on the spell showing the description, which is not the default. So it requires prep ahead of time to turn on spell descriptions for everything. Having the DC of the spell clearly reported in a template would be a foolproof way of catching it.
how can a gm have a secret passive perception check using listeners ?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mark Matt. said: how can a gm have a secret passive perception check using listeners ? If you're talking about the script I just mentioned, that would require a Pro subscription. However, Passive is just checking against a number. I'd just whisper a macro like this: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=Passive Perceptions}} {{description=@{CharacterNameOne|character_name} @{CharacterNameOne|passive_wisdom} @{CharacterNameTwo|character_name} @{CharacterNameTwo|passive_wisdom} @{CharacterNameThree|character_name} @{CharacterNameThree|passive_wisdom}}} But put your party names in it. This would yield something like: To do something similar to the monsters you'd need something like: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=Passive Perception}} {{description=@{selected|character_name} @{selected|passive_wisdom}}} but you'd need to click once for each monster.
Thoughts on Vision/Darkvision New to Roll20 (about a month now). Not new to gaming, particularly D&D (since the 1970’s).   One thing has struck me already. Vision and Darkvision (and its distance) are activated in the token when it’s being assigned, yet that attribute is part and parcel to the character/monster, not the token. If a character token has to be modified or changed – and the Vision/Darkvision settings get missed in the process – things can get confusing and frustrating, especially when using the lighting effects.   Could those attributes be referenced during character/monster creation/setup and turned on automatically? Or, perhaps, a tick box added to the editable Attribute Options of the sheet, which takes it away from the token? After all, the info is already there (text about it is shown in the Features and Traits box for the race/monster – it’s just not being applied anywhere else). Having to do that setup manually on character after character, and monster after monster, makes for a lot of work that could be automated almost out of existence with some programming.   Another possibility (if keeping those attributes with the DL portion of token setup is necessary/preferable) have the attributes called and turned automatically as the token is assigned, so it can’t be forgotten? Allow them to be editable if desired, but set to the default to begin with.   Hope I explained that well enough. Just a thought.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Paul F. said: Thoughts on Vision/Darkvision New to Roll20 (about a month now). Not new to gaming, particularly D&amp;D (since the 1970’s). &nbsp; One thing has struck me already. Vision and Darkvision (and its distance) are activated in the token when it’s being assigned, yet that attribute is part and parcel to the character/monster, not the token. If a character token has to be modified or changed – and the Vision/Darkvision settings get missed in the process – things can get confusing and frustrating, especially when using the lighting effects. &nbsp; Could those attributes be referenced during character/monster creation/setup and turned on automatically? Or, perhaps, a tick box added to the editable Attribute Options of the sheet, which takes it away from the token? After all, the info is already there (text about it is shown in the Features and Traits box for the race/monster – it’s just not being applied anywhere else). Having to do that setup manually on character after character, and monster after monster, makes for a lot of work that could be automated almost out of existence with some programming. &nbsp; Another possibility (if keeping those attributes with the DL portion of token setup is necessary/preferable) have the attributes called and turned automatically as the token is assigned, so it can’t be forgotten? Allow them to be editable if desired, but set to the default to begin with. &nbsp; Hope I explained that well enough. Just a thought. Hi Paul, if I am understanding you correctly, what you are asking for would be solved by setting a token as the default token for a character after it has been set up the way you want it. You then drag the character by its name to create another instance of the token. If you want to change the defaults on the token, you make your changes, remove the previous default token and set the updated token as the default. <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals</a>
I am using TokenMod and a macro to set up tokens, of course a Pro subscription is required. I don't give NPCs and Monsters vision. For PCs I have the Macro prompt me for the type of vision be it regular or night vision, it also sets the token as the default token. Light I do separately with a different macro because the players may or may not have torches/candles/lamps/etc. (Paul, welcome to the club. I have also been playing since 1977.)
snip... Hi Paul, if I am understanding you correctly, what you are asking for would be solved by setting a token as the default token for a character after it has been set up the way you want it. You then drag the character by its name to create another instance of the token. If you want to change the defaults on the token, you make your changes, remove the previous default token and set the updated token as the default. <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals</a> Um, no. My thought is to include Vision/Darkvision (and its distance) as attributes or traits with data values attached to them. If I create, say, a half-orc, sight and darkvision are (or should be) a default part of the data. They get +2 Str and +1 Con. They have 30' movement speed. The trait of "Menacing" gets them an automatic proficiency in Intimidation. If I create a Skeleton, its AC, weapon attacks (weapon and damage, et al), are likewise part of the dataset and added to the sheet automatically. Vision/Darkvision are not. They have to be "turned on" in the token setup page as part of the lighting options. Why can't they be auto-enabled during creation of the sheet, instead of waiting for token assignment? The data is there... at least DV text is auto-added to the Features and Traits box on the main sheet if the character/creature has DV. Making those items part of the default data would save the GM work having to activate sight, etc., for every character, NPC, and creature that has it.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Paul F. said: snip... Hi Paul, if I am understanding you correctly, what you are asking for would be solved by setting a token as the default token for a character after it has been set up the way you want it. You then drag the character by its name to create another instance of the token. If you want to change the defaults on the token, you make your changes, remove the previous default token and set the updated token as the default. <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals</a> Um, no. My thought is to include Vision/Darkvision (and its distance) as attributes or traits with data values attached to them. If I create, say, a half-orc, sight and darkvision are (or should be) a default part of the data. They get +2 Str and +1 Con. They have 30' movement speed. The trait of "Menacing" gets them an automatic proficiency in Intimidation. If I create a Skeleton, its AC, weapon attacks (weapon and damage, et al), are likewise part of the dataset and added to the sheet automatically. Vision/Darkvision are not. They have to be "turned on" in the token setup page as part of the lighting options. Why can't they be auto-enabled during creation of the sheet, instead of waiting for token assignment? The data is there... at least DV text is auto-added to the Features and Traits box on the main sheet if the character/creature has DV. Making those items part of the default data would save the GM work having to activate sight, etc., for every character, NPC, and creature that has it. Vision is a function of a token on a page, not a character sheet. At the time of character sheet creation, a token does not exist. Some sort of automation would need to be added to automatically set values on a token based on attributes on the character sheet when the token is set to represent a character sheet. As far as I know, this functionality does not exist yet outside of the API (Pro feature), and I imagine a script could be set up to listen to various updates and automatically set token values based on attributes on a linked character sheet. Outside of that, you could set up a new suggestion in the suggestion forum, because there is core functionality missing, and that missing functionality is beyond the scope of the character sheet.
Brian C. said: Paul F. said: snip... Hi Paul, if I am understanding you correctly, what you are asking for would be solved by setting a token as the default token for a character after it has been set up the way you want it. You then drag the character by its name to create another instance of the token. If you want to change the defaults on the token, you make your changes, remove the previous default token and set the updated token as the default. <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039715593-Linking-Tokens-to-Journals</a> Um, no. My thought is to include Vision/Darkvision (and its distance) as attributes or traits with data values attached to them. If I create, say, a half-orc, sight and darkvision are (or should be) a default part of the data. They get +2 Str and +1 Con. They have 30' movement speed. The trait of "Menacing" gets them an automatic proficiency in Intimidation. If I create a Skeleton, its AC, weapon attacks (weapon and damage, et al), are likewise part of the dataset and added to the sheet automatically. Vision/Darkvision are not. They have to be "turned on" in the token setup page as part of the lighting options. Why can't they be auto-enabled during creation of the sheet, instead of waiting for token assignment? The data is there... at least DV text is auto-added to the Features and Traits box on the main sheet if the character/creature has DV. Making those items part of the default data would save the GM work having to activate sight, etc., for every character, NPC, and creature that has it. Vision is a function of a token on a page, not a character sheet. At the time of character sheet creation, a token does not exist. Some sort of automation would need to be added to automatically set values on a token based on attributes on the character sheet when the token is set to represent a character sheet. As far as I know, this functionality does not exist yet outside of the API (Pro feature), and I imagine a script could be set up to listen to various updates and automatically set token values based on attributes on a linked character sheet. Outside of that, you could set up a new suggestion in the suggestion forum, because there is core functionality missing, and that missing functionality is beyond the scope of the character sheet. Is it though? I think what we're talking here is simple.&nbsp; You put an attribute on the sheet "darkvision_range" and "lighted_vision_range".&nbsp; Somewhere on the sheet, you have a box referencing that darkvision, the default being "0" unless a race or class feature grants it.&nbsp; Elsewhere, you have a box on the sheet that says "Torchlight", it's default also being "0" until given a value because the pc uses a torch, etc. The way you do this is simply to add the effects into the token to receive the value, the same as they would HP, Armor Class, or Speed in the bubbles/ bars.&nbsp; Thus making them adjustable on the fly.&nbsp; Torchlight, being a light source, would always trump the vision given by darkvision. Example 1: On Sheet: Darkvision: 60; Torchlight: 0 - sets the token's Legacy DL to 60/30, others do not see light, 360 degrees, 1 multiplier Example 2: On Sheet: Darkvision: 60; Torchlight: 40 - sets the token's Legacy DL to 40/20, others do see light, 360 degrees, 1 multiplier Taking that extra work out of the DM's hands/ setting macros up would be a good suggestion, but it is a sheet topic, as it deals with the sheet (it also deals with the token and Roll20 mechanics - but it starts at the sheet level - without the basis, the token has nothing to receive a value from).&nbsp; Now I'm no stranger to programming.&nbsp; I know that taking a single number and breaking it down to all possibilities would be tedious.&nbsp; And even in that, UDL is beyond my capability of understanding and haven't even tried yet.&nbsp; Even if you took what is currently on the token and added a tab to the sheet for it to be controlled by players instead of the DM - you could still inherit what is necessary for the token's lighting from the sheet rather than the token itself - this way all you need to do is set a default token, and let it interpret what is given on the sheet. IMO, the tokens should be less and less accountable to programming and more just a visual representation on the board.&nbsp; Everything you should need to do should be on the PC/ NPC sheets.&nbsp; By comparison, it would be like saying to your tabletop ... "Hold on a sec.&nbsp; I forgot to setup this mini's vision.&nbsp; It will take me a few minutes and then I have to assign this mini to you Karen."&nbsp; If they didn't look at you like you were crazy, then they are!&nbsp; lol The only thing I would put on the token end is: What the bubble/ bar assignments are (which goes of the defaults in the Game Setup page) Whether any of these bars are visible to others (again, defaults) GM Notes - because we GMs like to be sneaky with certain info A tab of NPC spell slots so that the token - not the sheet that handles multiple NPC tokens - keeps track of it's own spell slot usage.&nbsp; There should be a check box on the token tab to indicate that it should be used, or - if NPC is unique/ named - it can use those on the sheet.&nbsp; On the tab end, we just need to know how many remain, but it should back-end to know how many it started with when the token was dropped on the board from the master sheet. My 2 cents.&nbsp; Chop away at it ...
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Wolf Thunderspirit said: Brian C. said: *snip* Vision is a function of a token on a page, not a character sheet. At the time of character sheet creation, a token does not exist. Some sort of automation would need to be added to automatically set values on a token based on attributes on the character sheet when the token is set to represent a character sheet. As far as I know, this functionality does not exist yet outside of the API (Pro feature), and I imagine a script could be set up to listen to various updates and automatically set token values based on attributes on a linked character sheet. Outside of that, you could set up a new suggestion in the suggestion forum, because there is core functionality missing, and that missing functionality is beyond the scope of the character sheet. Is it though? I think what we're talking here is simple.&nbsp; You put an attribute on the sheet "darkvision_range" and "lighted_vision_range".&nbsp; Somewhere on the sheet, you have a box referencing that darkvision, the default being "0" unless a race or class feature grants it.&nbsp; Elsewhere, you have a box on the sheet that says "Torchlight", it's default also being "0" until given a value because the pc uses a torch, etc. The way you do this is simply to add the effects into the token to receive the value, the same as they would HP, Armor Class, or Speed in the bubbles/ bars.&nbsp; Thus making them adjustable on the fly.&nbsp; Torchlight, being a light source, would always trump the vision given by darkvision. Example 1: On Sheet: Darkvision: 60; Torchlight: 0 - sets the token's Legacy DL to 60/30, others do not see light, 360 degrees, 1 multiplier Example 2: On Sheet: Darkvision: 60; Torchlight: 40 - sets the token's Legacy DL to 40/20, others do see light, 360 degrees, 1 multiplier Taking that extra work out of the DM's hands/ setting macros up would be a good suggestion, but it is a sheet topic, as it deals with the sheet (it also deals with the token and Roll20 mechanics - but it starts at the sheet level - without the basis, the token has nothing to receive a value from).&nbsp; Now I'm no stranger to programming.&nbsp; I know that taking a single number and breaking it down to all possibilities would be tedious.&nbsp; And even in that, UDL is beyond my capability of understanding and haven't even tried yet.&nbsp; Even if you took what is currently on the token and added a tab to the sheet for it to be controlled by players instead of the DM - you could still inherit what is necessary for the token's lighting from the sheet rather than the token itself - this way all you need to do is set a default token, and let it interpret what is given on the sheet. IMO, the tokens should be less and less accountable to programming and more just a visual representation on the board.&nbsp; Everything you should need to do should be on the PC/ NPC sheets.&nbsp; By comparison, it would be like saying to your tabletop ... "Hold on a sec.&nbsp; I forgot to setup this mini's vision.&nbsp; It will take me a few minutes and then I have to assign this mini to you Karen."&nbsp; If they didn't look at you like you were crazy, then they are!&nbsp; lol The only thing I would put on the token end is: What the bubble/ bar assignments are (which goes of the defaults in the Game Setup page) Whether any of these bars are visible to others (again, defaults) GM Notes - because we GMs like to be sneaky with certain info A tab of NPC spell slots so that the token - not the sheet that handles multiple NPC tokens - keeps track of it's own spell slot usage.&nbsp; There should be a check box on the token tab to indicate that it should be used, or - if NPC is unique/ named - it can use those on the sheet.&nbsp; On the tab end, we just need to know how many remain, but it should back-end to know how many it started with when the token was dropped on the board from the master sheet. My 2 cents.&nbsp; Chop away at it ... Yes, from the standpoint of the Dynamic Lighting system, vision is a function of the token. My guess is that it will stay that way since the lighting system has to accommodate any game system, not just 5e. If lighting setup data came from the character sheet instead of the token, every character sheet would have to implement the lighting data to take advantage of DL, and games without a character sheet would be unable to use DL. It would also mean that every token linked to a specific character sheet would behave exactly the same way under DL. That might work for PCs in 5e, but other systems might not handle that rigidity as well, and unique environmental situations (such as reduced visibility or blindness) for a certain map page wouldn't be able to be taken into account without changing the character sheet. Again, the DL system could be made that way, but the scope of that change is far beyond the 5e character sheet. From a separation of responsibility standpoint, moving more functionality from tokens to character sheets does not make sense for some of the reasons mentioned above: it causes every sheet maintainer to have to add that functionality, and games would not be able to make use of DL without a character sheet. The tokens are part of the page. DL is part of the page. Any data that affects how a token interacts with the page needs to be on the token because it is the token that interacts with the page and is the object that is the same across game systems. The character sheet handles what is unique to the game system. Vision, in and of itself is not unique to 5e. I don't disagree that a system where the vision setup data would flow from the character sheet to the token is possible, but the functionality needed does not exist at this time outside of the API. Something that automates that process could be added to the 5e Companion script, but adding it in such a way that it does not activate when it is not desired would require some extra configuration. Again, it's not impossible to make such a change to the companion script, but we are talking about saving someone 30 seconds to set up lighting on a token and make it the default token for a character sheet. Considering that in 5e DL should only be set up for PCs, they don't change often, and there is only a few of them in most games, my vote would be for development time being spent elsewhere first. Personally, I would like a programmable area added to tokens that would allow character sheets to add data to the token when a default token is dropped on the page. This would provide the ability to set up spell slot tracking on a per-token basis, but it would first require a new feature outside the scope of the 5e character sheet.
Another idea on the DL sheet vs token assignment. Ok, so I think I get some of what's being said about why when the token interchanges with the sheet it makes more sense to have Sight/DV assignment done on the token. But... yeah, there's always a but... I still don't see why data form the sheet can't be drawn there automatically. Say... when the "Represents Character" selection is made, the program is already linking the token to the sheet and at least readying itself to draw data to the bars. We tell the program what information to put in which bar, but why can't the program draw Sigh/DV information from the sheet and just turn all that on without the DM having to do it? Could there be a tick box added to the in-game "My Settings" (gear) area that can turn that on/off [Enable Vision/DV Auto-Fill] like we do the 3D dice? "Again, it's not impossible to make such a change to the companion script, but we are talking about saving someone 30 seconds to set up lighting on a token and make it the default token for a character sheet." 30 seconds... per character/npc/monster token. That adds up. "Considering that in 5e DL should only be set up for PCs..." ??? If I don't set up Vision/DV for a monster, it can't see. I've tried it. It's a thing. I guess I'm just missing something.

Edited 1609144941
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Paul F. said: Another idea on the DL sheet vs token assignment. Ok, so I think I get some of what's being said about why when the token interchanges with the sheet it makes more sense to have Sight/DV assignment done on the token. But... yeah, there's always a but... I still don't see why data form the sheet can't be drawn there automatically. Say... when the "Represents Character" selection is made, the program is already linking the token to the sheet and at least readying itself to draw data to the bars. We tell the program what information to put in which bar, but why can't the program draw Sigh/DV information from the sheet and just turn all that on without the DM having to do it? Could there be a tick box added to the in-game "My Settings" (gear) area that can turn that on/off [Enable Vision/DV Auto-Fill] like we do the 3D dice? "Again, it's not impossible to make such a change to the companion script, but we are talking about saving someone 30 seconds to set up lighting on a token and make it the default token for a character sheet." 30 seconds... per character/npc/monster token. That adds up. "Considering that in 5e DL should only be set up for PCs..." ??? If I don't set up Vision/DV for a monster, it can't see. I've tried it. It's a thing. I guess I'm just missing something. The recommendation to only set up vision for PCs is that running all the monsters with vision (and darkvision) can significantly impact DL to its detriment. As a GM, you will have a good idea what a monster can see and what it can't. In other words, the monsters don't really need to see with Dynamic Lighting. When in doubt, an aura could be temporarily added to see what is within 60 feet. &nbsp;I like Rabulias' suggestion below better. I am pretty sure that it can be done right now, but you would would need the API (a Pro-level perk). You would probably set up a macro that uses the "selected" token to read the token's linked character sheet and set the token's light settings with the TokenMod script before setting the updated token as the default for the linked character sheet.
Doug E. said: Dragonsbane777 said: QUESTION: BLIND ROLLS I tried searching for the answer but found nothing. Is there a way on the 5E sheet to make it so a player rolls and does not see the roll? I am finding the need for this when not using passive scores. IE have them roll Stealth or a Save or whatever, only output to DM? Thanks ahead for replies A cheap and dirty solution is to make copies of the character sheet that only the DM has access to (and is set to whisper to GM) and then the DM makes the roll (a side benefit is the player is not alerted there is a roll being made). This would require updating the copy anytime the character's stats change, etc. You could make macros that call the rolls from the sheet so you don't have to open the sheet. It might even work to use macros to whisper to gm any roll from a player controlled sheet by referencing the attribute from the sheet in the macro. Haven't tried it, though. I just tell them to /gr 1d20+(modifier)
Compendium - Spells - Entangle So, have a pc playing a ranger and hitting 2nd level they took the Entangle Spell which is, according to the deadwood version of PHB and DnDB only available for Druid. Looking in the Compendium it has two sources, PHB and D&amp;D 5th Edition. The entry for D &amp; D 5th Edition has it as a Druid only but PHB (which appears as the default) shows it being Druid &amp; Ranger. So, would appreciate the reasoning behind the disparity and whether I can lock in to one ruleset vs. the other so my players aren't misguided. Apologies, tried to do a search on this but forums don't really support that and this appears to be the only way to feedback? Ta Muchly

Edited 1609155160
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Slugdasabi said: Compendium - Spells - Entangle So, have a pc playing a ranger and hitting 2nd level they took the Entangle Spell which is, according to the deadwood version of PHB and DnDB only available for Druid. Looking in the Compendium it has two sources, PHB and D&amp;D 5th Edition. The entry for D &amp; D 5th Edition has it as a Druid only but PHB (which appears as the default) shows it being Druid &amp; Ranger. So, would appreciate the reasoning behind the disparity and whether I can lock in to one ruleset vs. the other so my players aren't misguided. Apologies, tried to do a search on this but forums don't really support that and this appears to be the only way to feedback? Ta Muchly Honestly, I think it's a mistake in the Roll20 implementation of the PHB.
Paul F. said: ??? If I don't set up Vision/DV for a monster, it can't see. I've tried it. It's a thing. If your player tokens have vision, but the monsters do not, you can select a player token and use Ctrl-L to see if the player can see the monster. Most of the time that works; there are some edge cases with weird lighting and/or lines that prevent one from seeing the other. Another thing you could do is create an invisible "Vision Token" and give it an aura only you can see. Give it vision, and move it over or near the monster and use Ctrl-L to check the sighting. It is a little more setup, but trust me, if every monster has light and/or vision, your game will start to lag.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Rabulias said: Paul F. said: ??? If I don't set up Vision/DV for a monster, it can't see. I've tried it. It's a thing. If your player tokens have vision, but the monsters do not, you can select a player token and use Ctrl-L to see if the player can see the monster. Most of the time that works; there are some edge cases with weird lighting and/or lines that prevent one from seeing the other. Another thing you could do is create an invisible "Vision Token" and give it an aura only you can see. Give it vision, and move it over or near the monster and use Ctrl-L to check the sighting. It is a little more setup, but trust me, if every monster has light and/or vision, your game will start to lag. That's a good idea, and if the token is the default for a character sheet, it can be dragged in whenever needed.

Edited 1609299399
Cyrens Maps
Marketplace Creator
Hp modifier does not modify Hp. Seems its been like that since the hp modifer part was added 2-ish years ago I think. No response from Roll20 in the posts that remarks on this!
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yeah interesting. There's nothing in the Legacy sheet that updates HP at all outside of charactermancer.... I wonder why that section even got added in.
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
I hear you, Jesper . Will take a look at this issue.
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
I know there's a suggestion lurking about keeping track of domain spells for Clerics and such so it is easier to go through prepared spells. I use the "innate" property to do this but it was pointed out that this resets every time a character levels up. I did more tinkering and I noticed the game already tracks the domain spells here: Would it be possible to have an option where this data is presented in the title of the spell (much like the option to toggle Concentration, Components, and Ritual icons on/off)? I imagine in its simplest form it could be the letter D where the spell icons already exist or an asterisk ( * ) by the name.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
i usually transcribe the important ones into the "innate" field. They will then appear next to the name in the list. This means I treat the innate field as a note field. It does the job roughly, but it does mess up automatic slot decreasing. It's probably a handier trick for Free/Plus users.

Edited 1609349065
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: i usually transcribe the important ones into the "innate" field. They will then appear next to the name in the list. This means I treat the innate field as a note field. It does the job roughly, but it does mess up automatic slot decreasing. It's probably a handier trick for Free/Plus users. I do this as well and find it pretty acceptable for my uses, but as I mentioned it was brought up in another forum that the innate field gets reset each time a character is leveled up via the charactermancer. Edit: And since this value is persistent and seemingly accessible this might be an easier* thing to implement *Standard 'easy' disclaimer that it may not actually be easy.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jordan C. said: &nbsp;but as I mentioned it was brought up in another forum that the innate field gets reset each time a character is leveled up via the charactermancer. Derp. I was reading too fast. Missed that.
Feature Request: On the settings page, for the Saving Throw modifiers, can you please add a roll at Adv/Disadv toggle? There's a number of abilities and spells that grant advantage on some saves, and it would be handy to set that so it's not forgotten.

Edited 1609358170
TheWebCoder said: Feature Request: On the settings page, for the Saving Throw modifiers, can you please add a roll at Adv/Disadv toggle? There's a number of abilities and spells that grant advantage on some saves, and it would be handy to set that so it's not forgotten. +1 Even adjusting any and all global modifiers to allow for adv/ normal/ disadv to rolls via a DDM field would be acceptable.&nbsp; Default to Normal, ofc.