Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 (Q1Y2020)

Oosh said: Jay R. said: Quick question: is exhaustion tracking still messed up, or does it work properly now? I have it turned off and track exhaustion as a resource on the character sheet, because actual exhausting tracking didn't update the level description properly when triggered from ChatSetAttr. Just curious to know if exhaustion tracking is now functional. Actually it isn't broken, it's just coded a little oddly. If you look at this post it'll give you a start. You basically need ChatSetAttr to do what the sheetworker (presumably) does, and fill in the exhaustion level Attributes when it changes. It doesn't function the way you would think it does (disabling the element display), it actually displays all the elements all the time, and empties the values when they're not in use. Thanks for this! I'm currently tracking exhaustion as a resource, but when I'm ready, I'll definitely keep your instructions in mind.
I have a character with a magic item that allows spell casting (instrument of the bards). I dragged/dropped all the spells into my spell book, and using the gear I changed the Innate field to "1/day from item". I just leveled up with Charactermancer, and it removed all the changes I made to the spells. The spells still show up in my list, but they now look like regular class spells. Is there a way for me to make those changes survive level ups?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Best way is to rename the spell. Put an emoji or code that indicates the source in the name. AFAIK, Charactermancer looks at the spell name to identify a given spell.
I have a question, and my Google-fu fails me today - sorry if this has already been answered. I have a campaign where I will now allow each player to have TWO separate characters. The problem I'm having is that when a player clicks on an attack in one of their characters' character sheet, the chat message with the result uses the name that's selected in "As: " below the chat box (where you can choose between your Display name, and all characters to which you have access). To me, it would seem more natural that when I click on Bertie's rapier, it would use "Bertie" in the chat message with the result rather than whatever happens to be chosen in "As: " for the moment. It doesn't make sense to have to remember to switch which character is in "As: " twice each turn of combat, because you have two characters. Am I missing something here?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Christer E. said: Am I missing something here? On the settings tab, I believe there is a setting to "Add Character Name to Template".  Sounds like that is turned off and it would be best to have it on for the PCs with your style of game.
My character sheet seems to be set up differently from other players in my group, in that when I roll with advantage, the lower number is greyed out. This is a subtle, but nice touch that the others would like to take advantage of, but I can not for the life of me, figure out why mine is doing that and theirs isn't. Any chance someone can point me in the right direction?
The bottom one is set to always roll with advantage vs toggle or query.
Thanks. I knew it had to be something super simple that i was overlooking.
I didn't see anything in the wiki around this. Is it possible to split up the features & traits section in the core? I have a lot of stuff there and it's a long list that you gotta scroll through. I'm wondering if I could split it up so i can see it all at once in the blank space to the right  of the box?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No, unfortunately. You would have to code a brand new sheet. You can collapse them to titles only, by clicking on the header. You can also re-order it by clicking on the Lock icon, putting the stuff you reference most at the top.
I have a new player and we are unable to add the language 'Giant'. In the Charactermancer under Race he added it but it wouldn't generate the character. Had to remove the entry and now only has one language, common. Clearly this thing is broken.
An issue cropped up today that I had not noticed before. Revivify is on the Roll20 Druid spell list for players who own PHB and Xanathar's. It is not on the Druid spell list in those publications, although I understand it may be for people who allow Tasha's content.
Has Tasha's cauldron of everything had an update yet that has implemented its new rules to the Charactermancer. If so, can it be used in a game that has already been established? Or would I have to Start a new game to add these features to the existing characters? 
Not sure if this has been reported or if a known issue Class(es) /  Subclass : Ioun Stone drag and drop Description of issue :  When I drag and drop an Ioun Stone from the compendium, the bonus from the Ioun stone is not added to the character sheet.  example: the Ioun Stone of mastery should have added +1 to proficiency.  Is there a gobal way to implement this for proficiency?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Den, looks like adding the text "ability checks +1" to the MODS section of the item in your inventory will work. I don't have Stone of Mastery in my compendium, so not sure what value is currently there for that item.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
David M. said: Den, looks like adding the text "ability checks +1" to the MODS section of the item in your inventory will work. I don't have Stone of Mastery in my compendium, so not sure what value is currently there for that item. That would affect all ability checks rather than add +1 to proficiency which would affect only some ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah yes, quite correct. I misunderstood the problem and was not familiar with how the item works. Not sure how best to handle this, then. I suppose you could add a static bonus to skills/saves that use pb from the sheet settings page, then add a +1 global attack modifier (which you could uncheck if you ever use a weapon you're not proficient with).  From this old thread , it doesn't look like there is an item MOD that affects pb, though it could be out of date.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
David M. said: Ah yes, quite correct. I misunderstood the problem and was not familiar with how the item works. Not sure how best to handle this, then. I suppose you could add a static bonus to skills/saves that use pb from the sheet settings page, then add a +1 global attack modifier (which you could uncheck if you ever use a weapon you're not proficient with).  From this old thread , it doesn't look like there is an item MOD that affects pb, though it could be out of date. Since most characters don't use weapons they are not proficient in, it might even be a good idea to just leave the +1 bonus on at all times and just pop a -1 into the attack roll of any non-proficient weapons. Someday, it would be nice to have a mods system that lets us modify any attribute on the sheet. It would be even better if it was a part of the "core" sheet so that all game system character sheets could benefit.

Edited 1611586364
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Would just using the custom proficiency bonus setting not handle everything related to proficiency?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have a character with that item, and that is how I handle it. It's the best solution, and one of the things the  D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet handles better than the Shaped Sheet.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Ooh neat, I didn't realize that was a field on the settings page! Would only have to update it every 5 levels. Definitely sounds like the way to go! 
2 questions.  1. Is there a way of searching this thread? I might be an idiot, but I couldn't find a search box anywhere. 2. Can you add attributes to the sheet? Or do anything more hacky like that? I wanted to add a custom 'luck' stat, but couldn't find where you could change stuff like that. There seemed to maybe be a way for the shaped sheet or similar, but not for this one. And the shaped sheet seemed to have not been updated in a long while and maybe missing stuff?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Gorim, (1) I don't believe we can search within a single thread.  (2) You can add attributes by going to the Attributes and Abilities tab of the sheet and clicking the "+Add" button. The new attribute will show up at the bottom of the list.
David M. said: (2) You can add attributes by going to the Attributes and Abilities tab of the sheet and clicking the "+Add" button. The new attribute will show up at the bottom of the list. Ah, I didn't actually mean those sort of Attributes. I meant on the main sheet? Like Dex/Str/Wis etc. I tried adding an attribute in the 'Attributes and Abilities' tab, but I'd like the ability to call that attribute from a skill? Currently if you create a skill it has to be dependent on an attribute and that has to be an existing attribute.   Ideally I'd like it to show up in the attributes section above as well, but I realise that is a much bigger ask. I tried setting it up as an attack/spell cast, but the frame doesn't work and it gets affected by global attack modifiers such as bless
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
You can't dynamically add to that list of attributes without access to the sheet code (current one not available for 5e OGL sheet) and some knowledge of js/css. Your best bet is to add a custom Attribute and just reference it in your macros/abilities. E.g. For your "Gambling" skill, let's say you might want a "Luck" stat in addition to STR/DEX/CON, etc.. You could add attributes "luck_base" (your stat, 3-20), "luck_mod" (the bonus), and "gambling_bonus" (your skill roll modifier). The value for gambling_bonus attribute could be something like [[@{pb} + @{luck_mod}]] Then you could make a macro that rolled your gambling skill with something like this (can be modified for advantage toggle, normal, query, etc.) @{selected|wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=GAMBLING}} {{mod=@{selected|gambling_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+@{selected|gambling_bonus}[MODS]@{selected|pbd_safe}]]}} {{always=1}} {{r2=[[@{selected|d20}+@{selected|gambling_bonus}[MODS]@{selected|pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{selected|global_skill_mod}}} @{selected|charname_output}
Charactermancer incorrectly handles 10th level bard spell selection -- I have not tested other levels. At 10th level bards get an additional cantrip and 2 new leveled spells that can be taken from any class (aka Magical Secrets). CM seems to correctly handle the magical secrets and the cantrip, but while selecting the cantrip it shows that you are entitled to 2 additional leveled spells, which is incorrect. The only leveled spells that bards get at 10th are the magical secrets spells.
David M. said: You can't dynamically add to that list of attributes without access to the sheet code (current one not available for 5e OGL sheet) and some knowledge of js/css. Your best bet is to add a custom Attribute and just reference it in your macros/abilities. Ah ok. Cheers David. Is there a way of calling a macro from the character sheet itself?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
To the right of the Attributes section of the Attributes & Abilities tab, there is a section called abilities. You can add an ability, then type/paste your macro text there. Click the check to save it, then you can run it by clicking the d20 icon next to it, or your can select the option(s) to send to your macro bar and/or make into a token action for the token associated with that character sheet, so when you next select that token, a button will appear in the upper left corner of the map window.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gorim J. said: 2 questions.&nbsp; 1. Is there a way of searching this thread? I might be an idiot, but I couldn't find a search box anywhere. Not natively, but a google site search localized to this thread should work: site:<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8033570/d-and-d-5th-edition-by-roll20-q1y2020" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8033570/d-and-d-5th-edition-by-roll20-q1y2020</a> "search term goes here" You will probably need to click the button at the bottom of the search window that says to show similar results. Otherwise you will only get the first hit.
If you are using Firefox try Ctrl-f a search box will show up in the bottom left corner and it will search the current page of the thread.
You could use the Honor (or Insanity) stat and just mentally replace Honor with Luck. Then you can do all the things. The game's creator would need to activate the stat for the sheet on the Game Settings page. Gorim J. said: David M. said: (2) You can add attributes by going to the Attributes and Abilities tab of the sheet and clicking the "+Add" button. The new attribute will show up at the bottom of the list. Ah, I didn't actually mean those sort of Attributes. I meant on the main sheet? Like Dex/Str/Wis etc. I tried adding an attribute in the 'Attributes and Abilities' tab, but I'd like the ability to call that attribute from a skill? Currently if you create a skill it has to be dependent on an attribute and that has to be an existing attribute. &nbsp; Ideally I'd like it to show up in the attributes section above as well, but I realise that is a much bigger ask. I tried setting it up as an attack/spell cast, but the frame doesn't work and it gets affected by global attack modifiers such as bless
Have a bug.&nbsp; I added Guantlets of Ogre Power from the compendium and it added 19 to my current strength.&nbsp; I was redoing a character and as of last week, this bug was not visible.&nbsp; The only difference that I changed in the character was to level him up using the charactermancer from level 1, because I needed to fix his half elf variant race. I used it originally to level him up and did not have this issue when I did it about a month ago.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It looks like a bug might have been re-introduced. This used to be a common problem but was quashed last year.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Den G. said: Have a bug.&nbsp; I added Guantlets of Ogre Power from the compendium and it added 19 to my current strength.&nbsp; I was redoing a character and as of last week, this bug was not visible.&nbsp; The only difference that I changed in the character was to level him up using the charactermancer from level 1, because I needed to fix his half elf variant race. I used it originally to level him up and did not have this issue when I did it about a month ago. What's in the mods field on the Gauntlets, out of interest?

Edited 1612296823
Den G. &nbsp;said: Have a bug.&nbsp; I added Guantlets of Ogre Power from the compendium and it added 19 to my current strength.&nbsp; I was redoing a character and as of last week, this bug was not visible.&nbsp; The only difference that I changed in the character was to level him up using the charactermancer from level 1, because I needed to fix his half elf variant race. I used it originally to level him up and did not have this issue when I did it about a month ago. What's in the mods field on the Gauntlets, out of interest? MOD: Wonderous Item strength The gloves of Swimming and Climbing also created an issue with strength
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I believe it should read&nbsp; Strength:19, &nbsp;not strength?
I don't understand the problem.&nbsp; I just tried giving a character in a game the gauntlets by dragging from the compendium, and it worked fine, setting the strength to 19 appropriately. The Mods field reads: "Item Type: Adventuring Gear, Strength: 19".

Edited 1612324989
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: I don't understand the problem.&nbsp; I just tried giving a character in a game the gauntlets by dragging from the compendium, and it worked fine, setting the strength to 19 appropriately. The Mods field reads: "Item Type: Adventuring Gear, Strength: 19". This looks like a regression to an earlier bug. If you had an item that affected an ability score and ran the character through charactermancer level up, it would overwrite the natural ability score with the adjusted one. The upshot was that you needed to unequip such items during level up. I haven't tested yet to see if that's what's happening here, though. I am unable to repeat this behavior. I do not experience a bug when leveling up with Gauntlets of Ogre Power, or Headband of Intellect.
Is there an API script or Macro to handle twinspell ability?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
GlassArmour said: I seem to be having trouble editing character sheets. I can't add to lists, or use the button that allows one to edit order and delete entries. that is, these two buttons here; and not just for features and traits, but all the lists on the sheet. Could anyone tell me what's going on? Most likely issue is that the character sheet is popped out into its own window. A lot of things down't work once a sheet is popped out, and reordering lists is one of them. You can toggle the behavior in your settings tab.
Hello everyone, Me and my friends are trying to level up our characters using the&nbsp;D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 and we came up with an issue.When pressing the button in order to pop up the window in order for us to be able to choose our new abilities the pop up window doesn't show.Looking in the console messages we see the error&nbsp; Uncaught SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected end of data at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; initializeSheetWorkers <a href="https://app.roll20.net/assets/app.js?1612553985" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/assets/app.js?1612553985</a> : 640 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; nrWrapper <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/</a> : 424 We tried different browsers but the issue still remains.Any thoughts on solving this issue ?
Click the gear on your character sheet and set "Roll Queries" to "Query Advantage". When Advantage is selected then the lower roll is greyed out. When Disadvantage is selected the higher roll is greyed out. Ty said: My character sheet seems to be set up differently from other players in my group, in that when I roll with advantage, the lower number is greyed out. This is a subtle, but nice touch that the others would like to take advantage of, but I can not for the life of me, figure out why mine is doing that and theirs isn't. Any chance someone can point me in the right direction?

Edited 1612774694
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
NPC spellcards dropped from the compendium do not print the save DC unless you set the spell to an attack and then set it back to a spellcard. It would be nice to be able to set an NPC's magic caster level back to 0 to set all the slots to 0 (for warlocks).
If there isn't already a way to do this, it should be a feature...but it would be great if (as the GM) &nbsp;I could lock the character sheet so that my players aren't able to click on any "gear wheel icon" to make changes or view the Attributes and Abilities tab. I do a lot with scripts and locking access to those areas ensures the features I've built for my players continue to function.

Edited 1612815182
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but when I create a Winged Tiefling with the Charactermancer, I do not get any bonuses to my attributes. The way I understand this race, it SHOULD be +1 INT, +2 CHA. And yes, I do own the SCAG. Edit: And since I was experimenting, I tried out the Feral Tiefling as well. That one gets attribute bonuses. But it misses their Infernal Legacy trait. Charactermancer only gives me Hellish Resistance and Darkvision. Am I missing something here, or are the SCAG tieflings somewhat bugged? Edit 2: Is this even the right place to post these problems, or should I open a ticket on GitHub?

Edited 1612815392
And another thing: When I try to create a 1st level fighter, then I can not choose "Thrown Weapon Fighting" as my Fighting Style. I see all the other styles from Tasha's, but no that one. I can even find it in my Compendium - just not in the Charactermancer. Edit: I can't drag&amp;drop the Thrown Weapon Fighting style from the Compendium into the sheet. The sheet says that it's accepting it, but then nothing happens. But I am not sure if that ever worked for traits and whether it's even supposed to work...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pusikas said: Edit 2: Is this even the right place to post these problems, or should I open a ticket on GitHub? That's probably an issue with Compendium data. Best bet is to file a&nbsp; Help Center Request .