Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 (Q1Y2020)

Edited 1612885491
It's been a month since I asked this without a reply, so I figured I'd check in again. Is there any way of knowing a request has been heard? Is there anywhere I can look to see the roadmap for this sheet? That would help me know status without having to check in. Thanks. Is there anything on the roadmap for a general update on spell outputs? Currently neither way of outputting spells gives me all of the information I need to resolve spells. If you can add casting time, range, target, components, duration to the attack output that would do it. Or, add the rest of the attack information below the spell card. For example, if a spell card like that for Eldritch Blast had the attack / damage, that would also get the job done. Bonus points if you added a "cast again" text link that simply outputting attack/damage. Then my player could hit Eldritch Blast, I'd see all of the info I need to resolve the spell, and if they're higher level, they could hit "cast again" as needed to resolve the rest of their blasts. Given how casting spells is such a key thing in 5e for PCs and NPCs, I encounter this in every single game that I run or play in. In fact, if you can complete the spell outputs, everything else at that point becomes a quality of life update, at least for me.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I don't want to sound overly cynical, but the thread title still suggests that Covid hasn't happened yet.........
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I was thinking maybe Roll20 was stress testing just how big a forum thread could be. ;)
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well... bigger than a dynamic lighting map, that's for sure! ....low blow?
Hey all first timer Dm'ing on Roll20 here! I have 2 questions for the community . 1. One of my player has received the circlet of blasting. Unfortunately, when I add this from the compendium, it only shows the item in the inventory. I tough that it would also add the spell into there attack sheet. Is this normal? What do I have to do to ease this situation..add the spell scorching ray? Would it be solved by buying the DMG for roll20.. already got the printed book..  2. The wearer is a melee, non caster PC. The party tough it was cool to give it to him. But when I added the scorching ray spell. It gives me NaN in front of the modifier that would normally be 0, since none caster. How do I add the +5 from the circlet. I did add the MOD to +5 to the spell but it is not being take care of in the math and it only takes the dice roll on its own. Thanks a lot for the feedbacks. Let me know if you need further info Dom
Well,the character doesnt know the spell. He can just cast it once per day wirh a set bonus. I'd just add it as a +5 attack that deals 2d6 fire damage. If dropping the item on the sheet doesnt do that automatically.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Dominic D. said: Hey all first timer Dm'ing on Roll20 here! I have 2 questions for the community . 1. One of my player has received the circlet of blasting. Unfortunately, when I add this from the compendium, it only shows the item in the inventory. I tough that it would also add the spell into there attack sheet. Is this normal? What do I have to do to ease this situation..add the spell scorching ray? Would it be solved by buying the DMG for roll20.. already got the printed book..  2. The wearer is a melee, non caster PC. The party tough it was cool to give it to him. But when I added the scorching ray spell. It gives me NaN in front of the modifier that would normally be 0, since none caster. How do I add the +5 from the circlet. I did add the MOD to +5 to the spell but it is not being take care of in the math and it only takes the dice roll on its own. Thanks a lot for the feedbacks. Let me know if you need further info Dom If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack.
This is useful information.  Now, is there a way to force the spell to always be cast at a particular level, and not ask for upcasting level?  For example, a Tiefling gets Hellish Rebuke once per day but it's always cast at 2nd level and cannot be cast at a higher level even though the spell normally can be.  Is there way to force the Hellish Rebuke to always cast at 2nd level? Brian C. said: If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Saul J. said: This is useful information.  Now, is there a way to force the spell to always be cast at a particular level, and not ask for upcasting level?  For example, a Tiefling gets Hellish Rebuke once per day but it's always cast at 2nd level and cannot be cast at a higher level even though the spell normally can be.  Is there way to force the Hellish Rebuke to always cast at 2nd level? Brian C. said: If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack. Remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell's settings.
Brian C. said: Saul J. said: This is useful information.  Now, is there a way to force the spell to always be cast at a particular level, and not ask for upcasting level?  For example, a Tiefling gets Hellish Rebuke once per day but it's always cast at 2nd level and cannot be cast at a higher level even though the spell normally can be.  Is there way to force the Hellish Rebuke to always cast at 2nd level? Brian C. said: If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack. Remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell's settings. Thanks a lot both of you for the quick response
Hellish Rebuke is a first level spell that can be upcast.  For the Tiefling's racial trait, it always casts as a 2nd level spell.  If I remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell, it'll cast as a 1st level spell always, not 2nd. Brian C. said: Saul J. said: This is useful information.  Now, is there a way to force the spell to always be cast at a particular level, and not ask for upcasting level?  For example, a Tiefling gets Hellish Rebuke once per day but it's always cast at 2nd level and cannot be cast at a higher level even though the spell normally can be.  Is there way to force the Hellish Rebuke to always cast at 2nd level? Brian C. said: If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack. Remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell's settings.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
So up the damage in the main damage area. You can also copy the spell details to the second level area if you want. Just change the name slightly so the Charactermancer doesn't reset the spell. Saul J. said: Hellish Rebuke is a first level spell that can be upcast.  For the Tiefling's racial trait, it always casts as a 2nd level spell.  If I remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell, it'll cast as a 1st level spell always, not 2nd. Brian C. said: Saul J. said: This is useful information.  Now, is there a way to force the spell to always be cast at a particular level, and not ask for upcasting level?  For example, a Tiefling gets Hellish Rebuke once per day but it's always cast at 2nd level and cannot be cast at a higher level even though the spell normally can be.  Is there way to force the Hellish Rebuke to always cast at 2nd level? Brian C. said: If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack. Remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell's settings.
Brian C. you are a one man army for help on these forums!
Brian C. said: So up the damage in the main damage area. You can also copy the spell details to the second level area if you want. Just change the name slightly so the Charactermancer doesn't reset the spell. Saul J. said: Hellish Rebuke is a first level spell that can be upcast.  For the Tiefling's racial trait, it always casts as a 2nd level spell.  If I remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell, it'll cast as a 1st level spell always, not 2nd. Brian C. said: Saul J. said: This is useful information.  Now, is there a way to force the spell to always be cast at a particular level, and not ask for upcasting level?  For example, a Tiefling gets Hellish Rebuke once per day but it's always cast at 2nd level and cannot be cast at a higher level even though the spell normally can be.  Is there way to force the Hellish Rebuke to always cast at 2nd level? Brian C. said: If you want to give them the actual spell, you will want to make a few extra adjustments. Drop the spell from the compendium onto their character sheet. Click the "i" next to the spell to open the description. Click the cog at to the top of the description to open the settings. Add "(CoB - roll 3x)" (without quotes) to the name. This name change will keep the spell's changes from being overwritten by the Charactermancer during level up. Add "1/day" (without quotes) to the Innate Spellcasting field. Click the Cog and then the "i" to collapse the spell. Go to Attacks and Spellcasting on the Core tab. Hover over the attack created by the spell and click the cog to open the attack's settings. Uncheck "Proficient". Enter "5" (without quotes) in the field to the left of the Proficient tick box. Click the cog to collapse the attack. Remove the damage from the "higher level" portion of the spell's settings. Hey all, I did try what you said and it did worked. Only thing I add to do to make it not show NaN on the attack and spell core tab is change in the spells tab the spellcasting ability to intelligence. At that point the NaN went to 0 and added the +5. :) Thanks a lot guys
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Dominic D. said: Hey all, I did try what you said and it did worked. Only thing I add to do to make it not show NaN on the attack and spell core tab is change in the spells tab the spellcasting ability to intelligence. At that point the NaN went to 0 and added the +5. :) Thanks a lot guys You're welcome. I accidentally dropped a step from the instructions. 5.5 Set the Spellcasting Ability to "NONE" instead of "SPELL".
Did anyone else encounter a lighting issue where the map just goes crazy with a bunch of different colored shapes popping up with vision? I turned this API off and the issue stopped...

Edited 1613693899
Yes; several people have reported the same bug, under all sorts of different circumstances. Glad it resolved spontaneously for you. If it recurs, please make a Help Center Request. I'm very curious about the origin of the bug, and I hope it gets resolved for everyone soon.
You can't drag spells onto NPC sheets - This would be extremely useful for making NPCs quick and dirty who happen to have spells.
Henry W. said: You can't drag spells onto NPC sheets - This would be extremely useful for making NPCs quick and dirty who happen to have spells. I have not had that issue.  Make sure your NPC has the box for 'spellcasting NPC' checked or the spell will not register for that NPC.
I've not had the issue either, as long as the NPC is a "spellcasting NPC". Oginme said: Henry W. said: You can't drag spells onto NPC sheets - This would be extremely useful for making NPCs quick and dirty who happen to have spells. I have not had that issue.  Make sure your NPC has the box for 'spellcasting NPC' checked or the spell will not register for that NPC.
My character sheet still has its stats, but for some reason they won't connect the stats with saving throws or the skill checks. I'd hate to remake my character sheet, so I'd like to know what to do.

Edited 1613990547
Hi,  I've got an issue with padlock button. It's allowing me to delete an element but i can't organizing it at will (on chrome or firefox).  Can You Help Me This issue append with open character in external windows
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Darkryss . said: This issue append with open character in external windows This is normal behavior with a sheet popped out in its own window. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_in_a_separate_window" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_in_a_separate_window</a>
Ty using the sheet in same windows work well :)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
From the game details page, go to Settings-&gt;Game Settings, and then scroll to the bottom of the game settings page.

Edited 1614170783
I have an odd (?) issue. I've just looked at my spell sheet and the indicators for concentration, ritual, and VSM seem to have vanished. Am I just so oblivious that I missed a change or might this be something else? This is an example on how it looks for all the spells. Components are marked within the spell configuration. Thanks if you're able to help/clarify!

Edited 1614092419
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Royal, it looks like you copy/pasted the image instead of using the upload button or dragging from your desktop onto the field. Copy/Paste doesn't result in an image. EDIT: Regardless, you are correct. I can confirm that the symbols no longer appear on the spell list.
Hi Royal, I can confirm this is also happening in our games Royal said: I have an odd (?) issue. I've just looked at my spell sheet and the indicators for concentration, ritual, and VSM seem to have vanished. Am I just so oblivious that I missed a change or might this be something else? This is an example on how it looks for all the spells. Components are marked within the spell configuration. Thanks if you're able to help/clarify!
+1 It looks like something got changed in whatever updates went live this morning.&nbsp; Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.&nbsp; Royal said: I have an odd (?) issue. I've just looked at my spell sheet and the indicators for concentration, ritual, and VSM seem to have vanished. Am I just so oblivious that I missed a change or might this be something else? This is an example on how it looks for all the spells. Components are marked within the spell configuration. Thanks if you're able to help/clarify!
Description of issue :&nbsp; The "vicious mockery" cantrip in the SRD Compendium doesn't automatically have cantrip progression turned on. I had to double check the book because the text of the spell is also incomplete, and doesn't mention that the number of d4's goes up in the standard way. Luckily this is still able to be changed manually, but most players aren't going to assume it's wrong. Screenshots:
Description of issue :&nbsp; Another issue I've had repeatedly is having text disappear from descriptions that I add to spells on the Core page of the character sheet, under "Attacks &amp; Spellcasting". If I add a new ability here, I have no problems. If I alter an existing spell's description on this page however, the text that I input there and under the Save Effect can disappear, seemingly at random. On the Spells page, "Include spell description in attack" is set Off because there is more text than necessary for every use, and this doesn't stop me from adding descriptions on the Core page. I thought maybe that was causing the problem, but there are plenty of times where an alteration will save without issue. Occasionally the text doesn't reset to being blank, but reverts to an older version of what I wrote. Screenshots:
Description of Issue: When manually levelling up a character (as opposed to using the charactermancer), spell points are added to the resources tracker despite the 'spell points' option in the sheet settings being turned off. Often, this spell points resource overwrites pre-existing resources. Screenshots:
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Hello there TheWebCoder , I will ping a few folks to see if I can get a proper answer for your request. Roya, Lee and Saul , this maybe an issue with the new sanitization. I am gonna take a look at it. Amy S., I hear you. Will get that sorted out today.
If this hasn't been resolved yet, you can try reentering each stat in the oval space. You could also delete the ability mod entries (example strength_mod) in the attributes and abilities tab, close and then reopen the sheet. Then, reenter each stat. john m. said: My character sheet still has its stats, but for some reason they won't connect the stats with saving throws or the skill checks. I'd hate to remake my character sheet, so I'd like to know what to do.
Hi I've got an other question How lock "attributes &amp; habilities" sheet to players but letting them edit their own charactere sheet&nbsp; ? Ty&nbsp;&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As far as I know, there is no built-in way. It would seem to be part of the "golden box" RPG philosophy: The GM controls the entire world with the exception of the stuff in this golden box: my character sheet.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Darkryss . said: Hi I've got an other question How lock "attributes &amp; habilities" sheet to players but letting them edit their own charactere sheet&nbsp; ? Ty&nbsp;&nbsp; The "Character Sheet" tab is basically a fancy UI that is built on top of the "Attributes &amp; Abilities" tab.&nbsp; They are too interconnected to have different permissions.
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
These bugs should be fixed now on your live games. Even though this is not the official place for posting bugs, I always keep an eye on this topic. I may not be able to act immediately on things posted here, however, please bear in mind we are hearing you ;) Miguel said: Hello there TheWebCoder , I will ping a few folks to see if I can get a proper answer for your request. Roya, Lee and Saul , this maybe an issue with the new sanitization. I am gonna take a look at it. Amy S., I hear you. Will get that sorted out today.
Thank you, Miguel!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Miguel!
+1 keithcurtis said: Thanks Miguel!

Edited 1614267571
Thank you. Miguel said: Hello there TheWebCoder , I will ping a few folks to see if I can get a proper answer for your request
One question.... again.&nbsp; It is possible to link some variable on a sheet with an other ( Pet's stat with owner prof )&nbsp; ?&nbsp;
I just created a Paladin using the Charactermancer and leveled them to lvl3. I was not offered to choose a sacred oath. I gave them one more level and at lvl4, I could choose my oath. Compendium says that you choose the oath at lvl3. My PHB says the same. So, is this a bug, or am I missing something here?
I just created a Paladin character from scratch and leveled it to level 3 by running the Charactermancer.&nbsp; At level 2, it clearly said that oaths were chosen at level 3 and when I leveled it again, through the charactermancer, I was able to choose an oath at level 3. My guess: check the experience points&amp;level, and check to make sure you're using the 5e OGL sheet. Hm, also check that you didn't accidentally choose multiclass at 2nd or 3rd level which could affect when you get to choose your oath. Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem could be. (Just trying to help with more data and a few suggestions). Pusikas said: I just created a Paladin using the Charactermancer and leveled them to lvl3. I was not offered to choose a sacred oath. I gave them one more level and at lvl4, I could choose my oath. Compendium says that you choose the oath at lvl3. My PHB says the same. So, is this a bug, or am I missing something here?
Okay, tried it a few times, and most of the time it works now. The sheet still behaves a little erratic for me. I use the 5e OGL sheet and latest Vanilla Chrome without extensions (or rather, with only the pre-installed Google extensions like Sheets and Docs). Going back a step in the Charactermancer often breaks things for me. Sometimes I can not cancel then. Pressing the red cancel buttons just has no visible effect. And sometimes it works just fime. It looks like I get the Sacred Oath at lvl4 or lvl5 whenever the sheet bugs on lvl3. Half the time, when I choose the oath, continue and then go back a step, I can change thew chosen oath. But when I click the "next" button, the oath I chose the first time still is displayed as the one I chose. I also get a lot of JS error messages in the console. Even when everything seems to work fine. But if no one else has these problems, there is probably no point in reporting the errors, as the problems is with me in some way. I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.