Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Page Folders Have Arrived!

Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: I don't think Archiving pages has any meaning now. Even before the new UI, all it did was hide pages. They still loaded into memory at run time. The Archive folder just becomes an ordinary folder when the new interface is activated. Well, APIs can access the "archived" properties of pages, which is quite useful for performance, or just to get only relevant results. Are the folders visibles from the API? Until then, I would like to keep the possibility to archive pages.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There is currently no way that Mod API Scripts can see information about folders.  It's definitely on my want list though!
It's really awesome. Thanks <3
Page Folders now has my Blessing.
Lithl said: TheRollinOne said: Remove the "All Pages" tag. Completely useless, its the map tab after all. It's not useless. It's the breadcrumb you need to click on to return to the root level of the folders, and where you have to drag a page to if you want to remove the map from the folder and send it to the root. Well, the idea is to reduce the space up top before the maps. I can see how it could be 2 lines instead of 3 or even 1 if you reduce the player's icons for example. As for the "All Pages" tag, using a complete line for it is useless/waste of space. You could easily gather more stuff on that line. Change the tag to a "root folder/button". Click the folder to move there, drag a map on it to move it to the root. My main concern is the fact that a loooot of space is used without being required or adding anything besides taking a lot of screen space

Edited 1698339073
AT LAST! A very long time waiting for these! Thanks Roll20!
This seems to have broken the option to drag individual players to specific maps using their name avatars instead of the whole group from the players tab.
I like the idea, but execution wise, it's significantly harder to navigate between pages that are not immediately to the left or right of the current page. It's also difficult to move pages (for example into a folder) because there is no auto-scroll feature. I'd like to see the ability to open the pages' window wider (even just a little would help) as well as the inclusion of being able to auto-scroll pages up and down the line. For us old timers who've been around a while; we have LOTS of pages and navigation is frustrating because you have to get PART of the page you want to move on the screen, snag it, slide it up a single row, hope you don't accidentally create a folder by placing it atop another page, correct that mistake, start over, hope and pray you can move the page an inch at a time... see how frustrating that it?
This is still possible but NOT by dragging Players on their Avatar. You need to use the Party Flag in Map selection for it! Click on it to expand it and you see the List of Players. Just drag them from there to the map you want them to be on! NorX said: This seems to have broken the option to drag individual players to specific maps using their name avatars instead of the whole group from the players tab.

Edited 1698650098
Things to consider: A) It takes up WAY to much space: B) It stays open even if you click a map to switch on it. C) NO Autoscroll when dragging a map! It is a PAIN IN THE NECK if you have a map on the top, but the folder is somewhere in between. EITHER you drag the folder near the Map and sort them in OR you need to drag the map up, release, scroll, drag the map again! D) NO SORT Option for Maps! E) 2 CLOSE Buttons now where 1 is more than enough! Please REMOVE the Button below the Menu! F) STILL feels sluggish and laggy. And because of that you need to be extra careful not to drag two maps on top of each other so that another folder is created! G) REMOVING Maps from Folders really unintuitive! You do NOT get any visual cue on where to drag the map to have it outside the folder! H) (VERY IMPORTANT) GIVE US A CONTEXT MENU. I) Let US choose whether we want to KEEP Folder contents when deleting said folder or Remove it along with its content! (ALREADY POSSIBLE IN THE JOURNAL) J) NO coloring option. Folders just show the number of maps in them. Let us choose colors AND ideally it shows a thumbnail of the first Map in it!
The Aaron said: That space between Add Folder and the Player Ribbon is to support multiple parties/players split across the map.  Moving the close X down and removing the "My Pages" title would be a great way to recoup some space from the UI overhead.   I totally agree with this and the other suggestions in this thread!    I would love to color-code folders, or be able to upload an image for each folder. There's a lot of wasted space in the window, and I would love to be able to resize the individual page items. Here's some quick-and-dirty Stylus code I came up with the reclaim some space from the Page window: /* Hide 'My Pages' Header */ div.vtt-page-card-menu.opened div.horizontal-wrapper.horizontal-wrapper__space-between { display: none !important; } /* Move Search bar onto same row as Menu options and Player Page Flags */ div.vtt-page-card-menu.opened div.page-card-menu-header { flex-direction: row !important; justify-content: initial !important;  align-content: initial !important; } /* Auto adjust width of Search bar */ div.vtt-page-card-menu.opened div.page-card-menu-header > div.horizontal-wrapper { width: auto !important; } /* Move Search Bar to right side*/  div.vtt-page-card-menu.opened div.page-card-menu-header > div.horizontal-wrapper:nth-child(2) > div.party-box-wrapper { width: auto;  container-type: normal; } /* Change 'All Pages' to 'Main Folder' */ div.vtt-page-card-menu.opened > section > header div.breadcrumb-item:nth-child(1) { width: 107px; visibility: hidden; } div.vtt-page-card-menu.opened > section > header div.breadcrumb-item:nth-child(1)::before { visibility: visible; content: "Main Folder" } /* Adjust Page Name height */  div.vtt-page-title { max-height: 20px; } Before: After:

Edited 1698360882
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
In Firefox, the scrolling via dragging a map to the top or bottom of the display area does not work. When I switch to Chrome, I am able to do it, but that feature doesn't seem to work on Firefox. This is an issue for laptop trackpad users. Additionally, the area which will actually trigger the scrolling is only 20px tall. (Area that triggers scrolling is highlighted in green.) It would be better if it still scrolled up when a map is dragged above the area where the maps are displayed, or scrolled down when beneath the map area, instead of only scrolling when held in that extremely narrow band. Looking at other people's screenshots, it seems like smaller screens (like the laptop I'm on at the moment) have far fewer maps showing. I guess that's to help prevent the menu from taking over the entire page. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be a consideration with this: (Yes, that's my entire screen.) I also agree with all of the other comments about the wasted space at the top and moving the searchbar. There's no way that a map can have a name that long, so the functional area of the searchbar is quite small. Everything else is wasted space, even if it doesn't look empty. One thing that I do appreciate (which hasn't been mentioned yet) is that the names of the maps can extend onto a second line. Even if it means that the maps take up slightly more space on the screen, I'd rather see that than see map names truncated. I also really like moving players to different maps, and the ease of regrouping them. That particular bit was implemented very well. EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. If we're going to have a searchbar, then it would be really neat to be able to add tags to the pages, like we can with characters and handouts.
Hey folks, Just wanted to take a quick moment to update this thread. Thanks for all of your feedback so far! 1) It does seem like something is going on with Firefox and scrolling while holding things near the top/bottom of the list. We are working on a fix for that now and should have it out soon. It seems to be working properly in Chrome. 2) We're aware of the "p" shortcut not working and have a fix for that in progress as well. 3) We're digesting all of the feedback re: sizing and layout, and considering some further changes here.  I'll keep you all posted on the above!
grate how do i remove this feature. i dont like it and want to opt out of these future updates that keep being forced on my. i would perfer the option to add them and not have to ask about this. the folder system is slow and i cant figure out how to unfolder something. im now terrified om going to losse maps that my players have called home for over a year.
shinylamp said: grate how do i remove this feature. i dont like it and want to opt out of these future updates that keep being forced on my. i would perfer the option to add them and not have to ask about this. the folder system is slow and i cant figure out how to unfolder something. im now terrified om going to losse maps that my players have called home for over a year. To "Unfolder" something, open said folder and drag the map outside of it (above). This will get the map out of the folder you are currently in. The only way to opt-out of this feature is to use the legacy UI. If you want to keep the new UI, you are "forced" to this new feature as well! And I have read that there ARE some side-effects when having folders actively in use and switching back to the legacy UI. So BEFORE you switch back, make sure that NONE of your Maps is currently in a folder!
Gauss
Forum Champion
shinylamp said: grate how do i remove this feature. i dont like it and want to opt out of these future updates that keep being forced on my. i would perfer the option to add them and not have to ask about this. the folder system is slow and i cant figure out how to unfolder something. im now terrified om going to losse maps that my players have called home for over a year. You can always opt out of the new setup via the My Settings tab. Opt out of the new UI and you will opt out of the new Page Toolbar. 

Edited 1698388676
You should probably consider returning the word "Players" to the ribbon. Now it's even *more* confusing for new folks. Also, when selecting a page to load, the bar should auto-minimize (or have that be a toggle). It's annoying to click to load a page then have to click 'close' to get the interface out of the way.

Edited 1698419280
That's an amazing feature!!! The music however is an issue, as others said. Hope it will be fixed soon. Also, agree with @Teller who mentioned that the ribbon not saying "Players" might be confusing for future GMs. And also I must add that the ribbon design is a bit too tiny now,
Riley D. said: Hey folks, Just wanted to take a quick moment to update this thread. Thanks for all of your feedback so far! 1) It does seem like something is going on with Firefox and scrolling while holding things near the top/bottom of the list. We are working on a fix for that now and should have it out soon. It seems to be working properly in Chrome. It does NOT work for me on Chrome.
It does for me - most of the time. It's very finicky. Windows 10 Pro, Chrome  Version 118.0.5993.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) Saul J. said: It does NOT work for me on Chrome.
V said: That's an amazing feature!!! The music however is an issue, as others said. Hope it will be fixed soon. Also, agree with @Teller who mentioned that the ribbon not saying "Players" might be confusing for future GMs. And also I must add that the ribbon design is a bit too tiny now, Are you still seeing the issue with the music not playing automatically when you change pages? That should be fixed so just checking.
We pushed out a hotfix a few hours ago that should fix the "drag to auto-scroll" for Firefox. Thanks!
I like the folders a lot. Thank you for that. One small thing that others have already stated: I would prefer the "My Pages" bar to be a little bit smaller.
Now we just need nested folders for the jukebox...
This is the update I've always wanted! Thank you guys. Is there any way currently to sort pages in a folder alphabetically like I can for entries in the journal? If not I'd love to see that functionality added.

Edited 1698490930
Thank your Roll20. I feel this is one of the most valuable additions to the tabletop right now. I love the search feature, I feel much more relaxed about running games now. All it really needs is a "Send to" feature. If I have lots of maps I can make 4-5 folders and just send my maps to the folders without having to scroll up and down lot.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
I'm going to double down on not getting rid of the "extra" close button. For a user who may primarily keyboard-navigate, it can be a longer journey up to the top "X," the "close" instruction is clear and visible on its own now that selecting a map does not auto-close the map tray, it doesn't impinge on any real-estate as it's below the rest of the page indexing and does not extend the overlay.  And I also will push back on crunching up the interface and crowding it in further. Pushing things to the right makes them invisible to someone who may be zoomed into their screen, and counterintuitively hurts people with zoomed in or enlarged text interfaces more, as things are primarily only visible on the left edge. it is possible to enlarge font sizes only, and making things so there is no room to expand can cause interfaces to fail with truncation or inability to access controls.  To summarize my own asks:  We need keyboard shortcuts I've found the search to be eminently useful (as a filter, more than anything) don't crush it into another line with other controls.  I would like the scroll wheel to work while dragging. I also would put a vote in for multi-select (shift-click or right click or drag-select) to select multiple maps to move. This may be a one-time cleanup thing, or a "I'm not using this set of active maps anymore and need to move it inside a folder" thing, but it'd be useful.  A context menu to "move map" in addition to the drag-to-breadcrumb would be a good addition, as well as a "make this a folder" option, and maybe for folders "move all maps out" and "delete, moves all maps out" options. 
I think a feature that's needed is a "move to folder" option where you can click on a map, and a sub-menu opens listing the folders you have, nad allows you to just move the map into the chosen folder. This would work much the same way as mail on google or some of those other sites work where you can move a mail message into a folder.
Paul said: This is the update I've always wanted! Thank you guys. Is there any way currently to sort pages in a folder alphabetically like I can for entries in the journal? If not I'd love to see that functionality added. Nope. You need to sort your Maps manually!
"The second (X Close) icon at the bottom middle of the bar is not needed and takes up more screen real estate than it needs to" I disagree with this comment. UNLESS there is a hotkey to close and open the pages - the old one command-P is not working? "It would be nice to have an option to either: delete a folder and everything in it, or delete the folder and pop all of the maps contained in it out" Totally agree. One should be able to drag a page or a folder up - and have the Roll20 screen scroll up as you reach the top, without having to drop it somewhere, scroll up, then grab it and keep moving. "If you are dragging a player ribbon you cannot use the scroll wheel to scroll down (or do the nudge the bottom of the window to move down thing), you have to let go, then scroll, then pick the ribbon up again" Totally agree (same as previous issue - no automatic scrolling) " I find the page ribbons to be rather....dainty. As a marker their only job is to mark something in a visually obvious way, and I'm not finding them so. They could easily be doubled in dimensions without meaningfully impacting the thumbnail of the map." Totally agree - make them larger. "Now do the same for Macros, Rollable Tables, Decks and Marketplace Purchases please " Totally agree - but FIRST, make folders work in Transmogrifier. I want to transfer folders! Bottom line - a fabulous start. Kudos!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
John S. said: Bottom line - a fabulous start. Kudos! This needs to be emphasized. This is so much more than I had thought this feature would have.
Gold
Forum Champion
I love this update. For me, right out of the gate, it's beautiful, functional, a huge upgrade, and opens such possibilities to More Better gaming on here, particularly in Co-DM style games, replayable style games, and long-campaigns.  Awesome progress on the VTT. Good to go. No additional requests from me, many of the users comments above are good points, and it's evident that Roll20 Team is considering and often incorporating the feedback. That's nice to see. The benefits are tangible and shining right now on this Page Folders feature. 
After Playing a Game with this new System I got to say that it at least once did not register me dragging the group flag to another map. I needed to drag it really into the map (middle of the map) for it to register the flag being dropped there. This should be fixed! AND it would be nice that if the map is switched, the window closes itself automatically so that I do NOT have to click either on the "Close" button below or the "X" Button in the top corner of it...
thank you so much this is the best feature ive seen added ever <3
If something like this was implemented, I'd want it to be a selectable option. This type of behavior would drive me nuts. There are many times when I mistakenly clicked on a map when trying to scroll the page toolbar. This happens often enough that having to reopen the page menu every time I do this would be annoying.  AND it would be nice that if the map is switched, the window closes itself automatically so that I do NOT have to click either on the "Close" button below or the "X" Button in the top corner of it...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I used the new menu last night in our weekly game. It ran very smoothly and was much easier to manage. I think the only issue I had was combating muscle memory from the previous system. That will pass with usage. Gold's observations above pretty much mirror my own.

Edited 1698597739
keithcurtis said: I used the new menu last night in our weekly game. It ran very smoothly and was much easier to manage. I think the only issue I had was combating muscle memory from the previous system. That will pass with usage. Gold's observations above pretty much mirror my own. I generally agree. It was me who started the "A better way to organize pages" thread and I can use this system, including moving the player flag and pushing pages back up to higher level folders, just fine. Granted I was so enthused about having this feature finally implemented, that I'm easy to please. But I agree, Pat , that keyboard shortcuts for moving folders around would be nice.
Say, 'p' used to open and close the pages dropdown, but doesn't since this update. Does something else, or is there just no keyboard shortcut for it? (it was useful)

Edited 1698671795
Tilt
Pro
Thank you again for this feature, it works great for me.  However, I am going to ask (I mentioned it once, but it got immediately buried with all the new posts) that at some point you merge this feature with the Transmogrifier.    It is all great to have 100 maps sorted into 15 folders..  until you have to move them to another game.    It would be great if in the Transmogrifier you could select a folder and have it send that folder and all the maps inside it over instead of having to send over all the maps individually, then re-create the folders and manually reorganize everything.  Anyways, just a thought..  thanks again for the folders
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Bast L. said: Say, 'p' used to open and close the pages dropdown, but doesn't since this update. Does something else, or is there just no keyboard shortcut for it? (it was useful) Riley stated above that they are working on fixing the P shortcut not working.
Im really happy for this update! I have way too many pages that navigating the old menu was starting to become a pain. 
This is such a great feature! I had 6 maps prepared for a Volcano adventure. Perfect timing to try out folders :)
Hey folks! We pushed out a fix this morning and now the 'p' shortcut should be working again to open and close the Page Menu when you have Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts enabled. As I said we're working as well on some layout issues based on your feedback, and we've also identified some general performance issues while dragging that we're digging into.  Finally, the drag-to-scroll feature in Chrome is really feeling finicky to use (the area where you have to put the cursor is way too small). We have some work in that area that we are doing as well.  Thanks for your continued feedback, both your kind words and your critiques, and we'll keep working to make this even better!
So I noticed that this update also changed the maximum number of characters for a map name? It was really helpful for me to organize some things based on the current story arc I'm running. Is there a way to uncap the number of characters for a map name or any chance it can be increased to the level it was previously?  Otherwise I like the ideas, but do feel the UI is clunky, but seeing you actively working on it gives me hope. 
The page folders are nice, and definitely help with organization, but the interface is large and clunky when trying to sort through your pages. You can't expand the area to see all the pages and have to scroll around. I much preferred the pages presented as a list. Is there a way to view it as a list, reduce the size of the page icons, or expand the viewing area for the page folder?
Agreed, the drag to scroll in Chrome is horrible, you have to hover over it for it to pop up and it is still difficult to drag.  Riley D. said: Hey folks! Finally, the drag-to-scroll feature in Chrome is really feeling finicky to use (the area where you have to put the cursor is way too small). We have some work in that area that we are doing as well.  Thanks for your continued feedback, both your kind words and your critiques, and we'll keep working to make this even better!
TheMarkus1204 said: Riley D. said: It seems like there are some games where the interface is breaking, we're looking into it now. If you can supply us with some links to the games where you're seeing that behavior that will help us track it down faster! Thanks! For me, this new feature is really slow and lags to the point it becomes unusable! (Tested it in a smaller campaign with 8 - 10 Maps). Dragging Maps onto each other now creates Folders, too which is HIGHLY ANNOYING, especially since you can only delete folders. BUT by doing so, ALL Maps within said folders are deleted as well! You need to manually grab each map and drag them above the folder to get them out! AND there is no context menu whatsoever, it is purely left click / touch controls... I'm having this exact same problem. I lag so much while trying to move any of my MANY maps around. :( 
I cannot switch between pages using the flags as when I try to click, hold and drag it just returns to the original spot. I'm using chrome and I even removed my extensions to see if there was conflict but that does not appear to be the case here. 
I feel for everyone that's having technical issues and being negatively impacted this, as I've certainly struggled through some past site changes and design decisions, but I have to say that this feels like a dream to me. This is already everything I hoped for out of the feature and more!