Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Page Folders Have Arrived!

Thank you for this long awaited update! I'm echoing the suggestions made KatValkyrie. Now that Roll20 supports splitting the party, is there a plan to extend this in order for the players to move themselves to a different page (if "unlocked" by the DM, of course)? It would be useful to give players some control, so that they themselves could jump between the main bookmark page and, for example, the landing page or a world map page.
I hadn't gotten in my game last night where players moved to a different map so I didn't encounter this. But, this is a HUGE   problem as far as my game is concerned. If this problem also exists on Chrome, it needs to be fixed ASAP. KatValkyrie said: If you are dragging a player ribbon you cannot use the scroll wheel to scroll down (or do the nudge the bottom of the window to move down thing), you have to let go, then scroll, then pick the ribbon up again
Millertime said: I can't move pages to re-order them.  They just end up in random places, even though I'm being very careful to drag into the gap between two pages.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I ran into the same issue last night.  I move a map or folder down to the bottom and it pops back into the upper rows in a random position.  I can move them around in the same row just fine, move among the top three layers of maps without an issue. It is just trying to move a map to the bottom row, no matter how many maps are showing on that row, which causes an issue.
Count me among the people very happy with this change. The ability to make ribbons for sub-groups alone is incredible, and I really needed folders for my maps. @KatValkyrie had some very good suggestions, please implement them.
Can someone tell me how to take a page OUT of a folder, please? I've put one in the wrong spot and can't seem to drag it OUT of the folder now.
Frimus Games said: Can someone tell me how to take a page OUT of a folder, please? I've put one in the wrong spot and can't seem to drag it OUT of the folder now. Just drag and drop the page onto a breadcrumb along the top (i.e. "All Pages" or a parent folder if you are in a nested folder).

Edited 1698259680
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Hey folks! Good morning! Thanks so much for all of the feedback that you've given so far, including your kind words for the work that was done here and your suggestions on how to make it better; I will pass all of that along to the team. In the short-term, I think there are three things that I'm tracking as "ASAP fixes": The Jukebox no longer auto-playing the selected music when you switch the players to a page. In some cases, dropping a page or folder into a spot but then it ending up in a different spot. Some overall lagginess in the interface (I assume this is happening while dragging things around but if that's not the case let me know) We actually have a fix for the Jukebox page change issue already that is in QA, so hopefully we will get that rolled out soon.  For the drag and drop having things end up in a weird spot, can I get some links to some games where that's happening? I think this is being caused by some incompatibility in data from the old system to the new, and we just need some examples so we can track that down. I'll keep you all posted as we work to address these issues, and then we'll figure out some longer-term other things we can tackle here to keep making this better based on your suggestions. Thank you!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
KatValkyrie said: Page folders are here! Definitely one of my biggest requests so I'm glad to see it finally become a reality. Here's some general feedback from my time organizing ~100+ odd maps in my main campaign: The second (X Close) icon at the bottom middle of the bar is not needed and takes up more screen real estate than it needs to You could move the search bar to the same row as Add Page, Add Folder, Player Ribbon Stuff to save on some screen real estate. Especially since the new window is very large. It would be nice to have an option to either: delete a folder and everything in it, or delete the folder and pop all of the maps contained in it out Well thought out list. Just a few of these I wanted to comment on. The second close button: I actually like this. Or at least, I found that my natural inclination was to click that upper right area to open, but when ready to close, my focus was already center screen and the bottom button was where my fingers and eyes were unconsciously drawn. It feels natural there. The search bar move sounds good, but I don't know if this would inconvenience people with tiny screens (tablets). I agree about the need for some way to preserve contents when deleting a folder. I made this comment in survey feedback.
Riley D. said: Frimus Games said: Can someone tell me how to take a page OUT of a folder, please? I've put one in the wrong spot and can't seem to drag it OUT of the folder now. Just drag and drop the page onto a breadcrumb along the top (i.e. "All Pages" or a parent folder if you are in a nested folder). Absolutely fantastic! Thank you.
I don't like having some of the legacy functionality alongside the new Party Toolbox, giving us two ways to do some of the same things. Observed Behaviour:  You can drag and drop the Party Ribbon between maps (legacy feature intact), but you cannot drag and drop Player Avatars onto maps (legacy feature removed).  This gets confusing when trying move the Party Ribbon within the folder tree, because you can't drag and drop the Party Ribbon and navigate folders at the same time. Preferred Behaviour: Party and Player placement onto maps is done exclusively from the Party Toolbox.
Saul J. said: I hadn't gotten in my game last night where players moved to a different map so I didn't encounter this. But, this is a HUGE   problem as far as my game is concerned. If this problem also exists on Chrome, it needs to be fixed ASAP. KatValkyrie said: If you are dragging a player ribbon you cannot use the scroll wheel to scroll down (or do the nudge the bottom of the window to move down thing), you have to let go, then scroll, then pick the ribbon up again So I just tested it with Chrome on both Mac and PC and the same "auto scroll" behavior that exists for dragging a Page (where if the cursor is near the bottom or top of the list it should scroll) works for the Party Ribbon and individual players as well.  That said, adding in support so that you can use the scroll wheel while dragging is also on our list to add. But let me know if that other behavior isn't working for you as that would be a bug.
Here's links to videos of the not-scrolling problem, <a href="https://i.gyazo.com/687dfc79ea1a405ee905c2ec5aa0831f.mp4" rel="nofollow">https://i.gyazo.com/687dfc79ea1a405ee905c2ec5aa0831f.mp4</a> And the out of order re-arranging problem. (I note that this only seems to happen at the top level. Rearranging maps inside of folders does have them keep the correct order, or at least it seems that way) <a href="https://i.gyazo.com/08bcb5c7c63198f23637862f7a18e293.mp4" rel="nofollow">https://i.gyazo.com/08bcb5c7c63198f23637862f7a18e293.mp4</a> Do I DM you a link to my game or post it here? Not sure of the protocol around that. Cheers :)
DMing it to me is fine. Thank you!

Edited 1698249254
Nice, that's a cool new feature! But I'm having the same (quite important) issue as mentioned before: can't move a map by scrolling neither using the mouse wheel or dragging it towards the edge as I used to do before. This issue is crucial, having tons of maps in the same folder and to move them you have to drag them line by line...it takes me hours... Also I wanted to point out that my maps list is quite small, I can barely see one row and it's quite annoying (see the picture). It used to be MUCH bigger before. Is there a way to resize it? (PS italian translations in the new interface made me laugh for a while, I suppose they were AI generated) ----------EDIT--------- DISASTER! Because this new feature is unusable at the moment for me after I tried creating some folders with some maps in it, I decided to switch to the previous interface. Now all the maps I moved inside the folders are randomly scattered all over the place, That's why you should not try new things on your main game, my bad...now I have to manually re-order the maps in my 100+ map list...that seems a nice way to pass the time! I suggest not to try this new feature in your main games until it is completely (and properly) tested and fixed.
I have no idea what a breadcrumb is&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;no matter what I do&nbsp; I cannot move a page out of a folder.&nbsp; &nbsp; also the auto scroll function does not work for me also
Mongaux said: I have no idea what a breadcrumb is&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;no matter what I do&nbsp; I cannot move a page out of a folder.&nbsp; &nbsp; also the auto scroll function does not work for me also Here is a quick video showing me using the breadcrumbs and also moving a page back to the root once it's in a folder:&nbsp;<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSL4c3DSaQo" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSL4c3DSaQo</a>
Love this so much! I only have two minor nitpicks. One is that the P hotkey to open up the page toolbar doesn't seem to work anymore, I reverted the UI back and it still works there so I guess it's a thing with the new UI. Also I feel like it's gonna be faster to drag the names from the bottom to put individual players on specific maps, I think it's kinda clunky to check specific players off or on in the top right. For moving the whole party it's pretty great though.
How do you revert the UI back for this feature?
FifthRaccoon said: Love this so much! I only have two minor nitpicks. One is that the P hotkey to open up the page toolbar doesn't seem to work anymore, I reverted the UI back and it still works there so I guess it's a thing with the new UI. Also I feel like it's gonna be faster to drag the names from the bottom to put individual players on specific maps, I think it's kinda clunky to check specific players off or on in the top right. For moving the whole party it's pretty great though. You can drag and drop names from the Party Toolbox just like you could previously do from their Avatars.
Hey folks, We just released a hotfix that is live now, with the following changes: The Jukebox auto-playing a track when moving the Party Ribbon to a page should be working properly now! We've fixed some weirdness with long titles of Pages and Folders not word-wrapping properly. We fixed some underlying issues with not being able to sort pages in some games (you would place the page/folder in a spot and it would jump to a different spot instead). Thanks everyone!

Edited 1698260132
Might it be possible you rearrange the search bar next to those buttons? Cause this is taking too much space on Monitors with small resolution... EDIT: How about giving us the context menu back with the option to move maps outside of created folders as well as different options for deleting them? (e.g. deletion WITH all contents OR moving maps outside of folders FIRST) And PLEASE give us the Option to select MULTIPLE MAPS at once! So we can select e.g. 3 or 4 or more Maps at the same time and move them ALL AT ONCE to a folder OR OUTSIDE a folder! Right now you have to grab each map separately which is really annoying if you have a ton of maps in your campaign!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Hey folks, We just released a hotfix that is live now, with the following changes: The Jukebox auto-playing a track when moving the Party Ribbon to a page should be working properly now! We've fixed some weirdness with long titles of Pages and Folders not word-wrapping properly. We fixed some underlying issues with not being able to sort pages in some games (you would place the page/folder in a spot and it would jump to a different spot instead). Thanks everyone! Everything checks out here! Thanks, Riley (and dev team)!
Well no tutorial and now I have my ribbon stuck in a folder that absorbed two pages and can't get the ribbon out to go to other pages. So now I can't run my game and have to cancel. I wish there would have been notice and it needs a tutorial. so far it sucks.&nbsp;
Hosler D. said: Well no tutorial and now I have my ribbon stuck in a folder that absorbed two pages and can't get the ribbon out to go to other pages. So now I can't run my game and have to cancel. I wish there would have been notice and it needs a tutorial. so far it sucks.&nbsp; You can always drag the ribbon from the top onto any page. Like at the beginning of this video:&nbsp;<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nKJVZr6rw" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nKJVZr6rw</a>
Thank you very much for the update..&nbsp; That being said... Are there any plans to add these folders to the Transmogrifier?&nbsp; &nbsp;Right now you would have to copy each map across and then re-do all of your organization.&nbsp; Would be nice to be able to copy over a folder and everything in it. Thank you
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hosler D. said: Well no tutorial and now I have my ribbon stuck in a folder that absorbed two pages and can't get the ribbon out to go to other pages. So now I can't run my game and have to cancel. I wish there would have been notice and it needs a tutorial. so far it sucks.&nbsp; Another option in an emergency, is to just temporarily opt out of the new UI. There's time to work out the new interface when you are not under the gun.
Actually, how do I remove the party tag from a folder?
Drag the Map above the folder and drop it there. It is really NOT INTUITIVE since you don't get any visual feedback. But since there is no context menu right now, this is the only way... Wolfgang A. said: How do I remove a map from a folder? I accidentally made a folder, and cannot intuit how to seperate the maps.
Wolfgang A. said: Actually, how do I remove the party tag from a folder? On the Overview you see the Party tag in the right corner. Just drag that to the map you want it to be.
TheMarkus1204 said: Drag the Map above the folder and drop it there. It is really NOT INTUITIVE since you don't get any visual feedback. But since there is no context menu right now, this is the only way... On the Overview you see the Party tag in the right corner. Just drag that to the map you want it to be. Thanks for the input on both parts. Much appreciated.
It's not working for me. Moving the ribbon either to the top, or the bottom, does not scroll the maps... I can't access anything above or below where the ribbon currently is. This needs to be fixed. Thank you. Riley D. said: Saul J. said: I hadn't gotten in my game last night where players moved to a different map so I didn't encounter this. But, this is a HUGE &nbsp; problem as far as my game is concerned. If this problem also exists on Chrome, it needs to be fixed ASAP. KatValkyrie said: If you are dragging a player ribbon you cannot use the scroll wheel to scroll down (or do the nudge the bottom of the window to move down thing), you have to let go, then scroll, then pick the ribbon up again So I just tested it with Chrome on both Mac and PC and the same "auto scroll" behavior that exists for dragging a Page (where if the cursor is near the bottom or top of the list it should scroll) works for the Party Ribbon and individual players as well.&nbsp; That said, adding in support so that you can use the scroll wheel while dragging is also on our list to add. But let me know if that other behavior isn't working for you as that would be a bug.
Map Folders! Map Folders! Map Folders!&nbsp;
I figured out the map folders w/o any extra help. I have tried to review the video (no audio it seems) and I am interested in splitting up my party and it would be helpful to do this and listen how and work it. Does someone have a link with video that works ? The roll20 videos don't seem to have one at this point for me. I just see clicking and shuffling- no audio.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think there is a full-featured video at this point. Just the article on the Help Center.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Advanced Shortcut Keys -&gt; P key does not open pages toolbar with the new UI.
keithcurtis said: Joe said: This is an amazing enhancement!&nbsp; But I have noticed one thing.&nbsp; When I move the party ribbon to a new page, the music I have cued to play on load doesn't play.&nbsp; Anyone else experiencing this? I can confirm. Ran a couple of tests and no audio-on-load. Mac OS, Chrome. Private browsing window (for player account) Same here, unfortunately this is a key feature I use with my group as I have a lot of maps I switch between (for tonight's session at least) and I had planned music for each. I'll now have to manually start/stop the music. Not ideal...but sounds like it's a (known?) bug.
I like having the ability to toss my pages into folder, either by locations or chapter of the campaign.&nbsp; However, the interface is taking up a lot of space and makes it rather difficult to actually start sorting. I don't really need it to see large icons of what the pages look like and would appreciate if the thumbnails could be adjusted in size, or presented in a list form.
I would suggest two small changes that would be easy to implement and reduce the size of the "map tab" without losing anything: 1- Remove the "All Pages" tag. Completely useless, its the map tab after all. 2- Squeeze the search field on the first line between the other elements &nbsp; &nbsp; [Add Page]&nbsp; [Add Folder] [Search ?&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ]&nbsp; [Players Icons] 3- I would go as far as to remove the "My Pages" tag and put everything on the top line with the [ X ], but that's just me. The idea is to be able to maximize the number of maps shown and reduce the unessential text Just my 2 cents...
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
TheRollinOne said: Remove the "All Pages" tag. Completely useless, its the map tab after all. It's not useless. It's the breadcrumb you need to click on to return to the root level of the folders, and where you have to drag a page to if you want to remove the map from the folder and send it to the root.
The Keeper said: I figured out the map folders w/o any extra help. I have tried to review the video (no audio it seems) and I am interested in splitting up my party and it would be helpful to do this and listen how and work it. Does someone have a link with video that works ? The roll20 videos don't seem to have one at this point for me. I just see clicking and shuffling- no audio.&nbsp; Just open the "party flag" on the top right corner and drag Players to the maps you want to have them on. For each "new" map a player gets dragged on, a new flag is created. To merge them back, either click on "Regroup All" or drag the players in the "party flag" menu just back to the main flag.
Coldin said: I like having the ability to toss my pages into folder, either by locations or chapter of the campaign.&nbsp; However, the interface is taking up a lot of space and makes it rather difficult to actually start sorting. I don't really need it to see large icons of what the pages look like and would appreciate if the thumbnails could be adjusted in size, or presented in a list form. YES please!
Still completely unusable and full of bugs for me in Chrome and Firefox. The thumbnails are WAY too big and can barely see one line of maps. Still cant move maps scrolling the list. Moving maps is a mess... The thing is, I do like the new user interface...but this Page Folder feature is a nightmare for me...cant really play the game at this point. So, am I forced to play with the old user interface to disable Page Folder?
Valerio I. said: Still completely unusable and full of bugs for me in Chrome and Firefox. The thumbnails are WAY too big and can barely see one line of maps. Still cant move maps scrolling the list. Moving maps is a mess... The thing is, I do like the new user interface...but this Page Folder feature is a nightmare for me...cant really play the game at this point. So, am I forced to play with the old user interface to disable Page Folder? Page folders are only available when using the new UI...
TheMarkus1204 said: Valerio I. said: Still completely unusable and full of bugs for me in Chrome and Firefox. The thumbnails are WAY too big and can barely see one line of maps. Still cant move maps scrolling the list. Moving maps is a mess... The thing is, I do like the new user interface...but this Page Folder feature is a nightmare for me...cant really play the game at this point. So, am I forced to play with the old user interface to disable Page Folder? Page folders are only available when using the new UI... Yeah...that's the problem. I like the new UI but page folders doesnt work at all for me. So I have to go back using the old UI...sigh...
The party split works wonderfully&nbsp; &nbsp;Just ran a camp clearwater where the party splits many times&nbsp; No map spoiler alerts for those "not there" The larger Icons/page images are nice , but its difficult to find things when you can only see two rows . and it will not scroll as before&nbsp; &nbsp;I end up giving players sneek peeks as I move the party banner from a top row page to a bottom row page.&nbsp; &nbsp;Eliminating the side bar when I call up the page menu helps a little .&nbsp; Moving pages without plopping them into folders is virtually impossible for my less than fine motor skills.&nbsp; &nbsp;The new Icons are fantastic as far as recognizing pages/maps is concerned .&nbsp; &nbsp; fixing the auto scroll and a system to differentiate moving a page or placing in a folder would make it better. Folders are amazing
For me, the folder size is "just right", although I agree it should be adjustable.&nbsp; When looking at a folder of a dozen maps, having a legible thumbnail can be very helpful in finding the right one. However, the top is really inefficient of space. I use a desktop with a big screen, and it still feels wasteful. I'd hate to be using it on a small laptop or similar. As @TheRollinOne noted, merging the seach field into the line above it would be cleaner.&nbsp; And there's no need for the "My Pages" title (note: I'm not talking about the "All page" breadcrumb, but the title at the top. I do like the upper-right close "x" on that line, but the line could retain it and be much smaller without the unnecessary title; and we can see its a list of pages just fine without a title. It would also be useful if the My Pages pane could be resized while open.&nbsp; It's possible to manipulate tokens on the map while it is, and that can be useful when moving people to a new map, but you have to be able to see the map well to do that, and with a lot of maps in a folder, it takes quite a bit of room.

Edited 1698329982
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That space between Add Folder and the Player Ribbon is to support multiple parties/players split across the map.&nbsp; Moving the close X down and removing the "My Pages" title would be a great way to recoup some space from the UI overhead.&nbsp;&nbsp; Putting search as an expanding box to the right of the bread crumbs might be nice also.
Wonderful feature. Just a question, what's the difference between an archived page and a page in a folder? Does it changes the performance of the game? Because at the moment we can't archive folders but I can insert a folder inside a folder, so I find it better to use the folder to archive my pages.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think Archiving pages has any meaning now. Even before the new UI, all it did was hide pages. They still loaded into memory at run time. The Archive folder just becomes an ordinary folder when the new interface is activated.