Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow the GM to delete a line in the chat text

Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Kenton said: Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple questions for your opinions. When we do this, should the option be to delete and remove the specific chat entry? Or would the preference be for converting that one message into a Whisper? Delete, please.
How about being able to change between in-character and out-of-character when sending a message, and then a checkbox to hide OOC messages?
FlyingMonkey said: How about being able to change between in-character and out-of-character when sending a message, and then a checkbox to hide OOC messages? You could make this a separate suggestion. It would likely get votes because people do tend to make an oops and accidentally post under the wrong alias.
Joe said: FlyingMonkey said: How about being able to change between in-character and out-of-character when sending a message, and then a checkbox to hide OOC messages? You could make this a separate suggestion. It would likely get votes because people do tend to make an oops and accidentally post under the wrong alias. Actually, I posted a suggestion for "Switch Characters in macros/chat commands" a couple of days ago. 
+1
+1 Did it really take two years for it to become a thing? Jeez. So slow on the updates.
It was suggested 4 years ago, but only about a month ago? did it get to 200 votes, and now they are Researching it.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
I would say that deleting the line would be the simplest way of handling this, although a right-click menu with the options of "Delete Chat" and "Whisper to GM" could be solutions. I would not support an option that would reverse the process and reveal a whisper to all players.
+1 to this option of deleting.  I needed the API to test something and just hit initiative instead of NPC gear on a surprise villian, lol.  As a workaround, I printed the chat archive to PDF so I have it still, and then just cleared the chat.
Yes, please, I'd really need this for my text based games.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Deleting would be fine, thanks.
+1 for deleting, and making it actually delete the entry. Tons of times I've had the site screw up on me and have it roll on a table I'm editing, and some of these tables are intended to be a surprise. 
APIs dont run in /talktomyself how can you test them with out spoilers in chat?
So... When is this feature coming? Spring/Summer of 2020? Or later?
+1 to GM being able to delete lines in chat!
+1 lets get it in there devs!
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Thanks for the answers and the feedback. I've been compiling your thoughts.
Kenton said: Thanks for the answers and the feedback. I've been compiling your thoughts. I would deeply appreciate the delete function, especially for situations where I inadvertently revealed some trap or npc or information the players should not know.  I don't like deleting the current game session text as my players like to look back at the silly things we've done.  So, again, please, DELETE.
+1, also great for removing test-rolls from players to see if they did their doodads right.
+1 to allowing DMs to remove a message from the chat window
+1 this is basic functionality
+1, it really is something important
+1
Please add a delete feature.
I CONCUR +1 for allowing the GM to remove some text from chat
How much longer before we actually get this feature? Cause it would be really useful sooner rather than later, just sayin.
it probably doesn't look good for a web developer to be unable to add this feature while marketing subscription services. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Harley said: it probably doesn't look good for a web developer to be unable to add this feature while marketing subscription services.  I don't know about that.  It is a pretty big change in functionality.  1. Up to this point, you have been unable to interact with the chat archive from inside the game other than add content to it.  You can clear your view of chat, but that only affects what you see, not what others see, or what is saved in the archive. 2. Up to this point, the only thing you could do with the chat archive (other than view) outside a game is to delete it.  All or nothing. Being able to interact with the chat archive from inside a game on an entry by entry basis is not a small change. I'm hoping this is something the the background infrastructure work they have been doing will eventually make possible.
Kraynic said: Harley said: it probably doesn't look good for a web developer to be unable to add this feature while marketing subscription services.  I don't know about that.  It is a pretty big change in functionality.  1. Up to this point, you have been unable to interact with the chat archive from inside the game other than add content to it.  You can clear your view of chat, but that only affects what you see, not what others see, or what is saved in the archive. 2. Up to this point, the only thing you could do with the chat archive (other than view) outside a game is to delete it.  All or nothing. Being able to interact with the chat archive from inside a game on an entry by entry basis is not a small change. I'm hoping this is something the the background infrastructure work they have been doing will eventually make possible. i feel like if they are working on the background infrastructure, then five years should have been enough time for professional, paid web developers who ask for subscriptions to further develop and maintain the quality of their website. 

Edited 1583936035
Honestly? If changing text to a gm only whisper rather than outright deleting it is easier to implement functionality wise I'd be okay with it, especially if it means this feature gets implemented sometime in the next 2-3 months. (I mean yeah I'd love to just delete it, but waiting another year or more for that functionality over just turning it into a whisper? I'll take the less elegant solution sooner.)

Edited 1583952854
+1 to the above. This is actually a major issue, I've had to wipe many a chat log to erase something that another player would be sensitive about, or something accidentally revealed that shouldn't be, etc. So, whatever gets it implemented the fastest.
I am a programmer. This whole "It is a pretty big change in functionality." is a load of tosh. It is some work? Yes. Is it really that difficult to write a new function to access/modify that chat database based on user account? No. No it is not. I do this all the time for a living.
+1 seriously, come on. 
+1 Yes pls.
+1 for sure! Just found this threas while sorting out some stuff ingame and missrolled something after forgetting the "/talktomyself" command! SECRETS DAMNIT!
+1. I sometimes roll stuff that shouldn't be seen and would rather not waste 140 pages of logs because of an error that might spoil what's coming up
Yep, learning how to use stuff, just spoiled something. Only idea was to just bury it by posting a bunch of garbage and a bunch of roles and hope no one notices. Can you fix this?
+1, New to roll20 and I immediately got this question like 2h in my GMing.
+1 great idea
yes please. this is very needed.
Another vote from me. Definitely needed.
Idk why this wasn't in the release of Roll20. +1
+1, /Talktomyself does allow testing of macros or other direct to chat functions. I really hope this is being worked or coming soon.
+1 for me. Please please please please
+1 Yes I need it too! Thanks
Id love delete, just ruined a whisper and sent it to all in error.
Had to completely change a monster encounter because my dumb self test rolled to the group. Please Add.
+1
If it makes it any easier to add this feature, allow GMs to appoint players, or even themselves, as chat moderator for the game and give the chat moderators the ability to delete a post in the chat.