Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow the GM to delete a line in the chat text

+1 Roll20 Please, hear your users...  with all other similiar software now emerges, you need us to survive, at least grant us one thing that we really need
This thread was started 6 years ago. That's a pretty impressive length of time to ignore your user base for a function that I can't imagine is that difficult to implement.
Yet another +1 for this feature. This would be really convenient, because sometimes people mess up.
Another vote for this feature. A misclick on a NPC sheet now shows a massive character reveal. I need to get rid of it but can't....
Also another vote +1, to add to the tidal wave of people who clearly need this. 
+1
I had to delete the entire chat history of my game because I accidentally rolled an attack publically for an NPC whose future appearance would be a major spoiler. Please add this feature. +1
Just spoiled a major twist and am needing to delete a very memorable two-year-long campaign's chat long because of the lack of such a simple feature. Goddammit im salty. At least give us a toggle whisper function for the chatbox so we can avoid this please. 

Edited 1619850590
I cancelled my pro plan because of the lack of a response on this issue. I would have left it on (ends May 1st) since I still need the storage but this lacking feature is just too annoying.
+1 Also, why can't we vote up more than 3 suggestions? And you can't post a suggestion if you've voted up 3 suggestions!
 Need this too. Like now. Like right now. Like right, right now. .... You get the idea. Shocked to see the age on this with no resolution yet.

Edited 1620044325
Yes please, it would be helpful to my GMing
Nicolas A. said:  Need this too. Like now. Like right now. Like right, right now. .... You get the idea. Shocked to see the age on this with no resolution yet. Right up there with Way To Organize Pages (maps)  Maybe someday. Then I'll return as a paying customer. 
When we suggested the idea years ago all of us got shut us down hard, glad to see the devs are finally looking into this. +1

Edited 1620197370
Huemaster said: When we suggested the idea years ago all of us got shut us down hard, glad to see the devs are finally looking into this. +1 Given this thread started six years ago and we have yet to see any actual progress on the issue, I'm honestly not sure if your response was (well deserved) sarcasm, or you were unaware that the last response from a dev on the issue was over nine months ago, with no actual road map of any update in sight yet. I really wish I could share in your optimism, but the more I look around and see other .vtt's with desired functions already implemented, the more I find myself wondering why I keep paying for R20 instead of giving Foundry a go.
+1 Also want to delete an accidental spoiler. I've now learned about /talktomyself (this should be added to the "chat tips" for GMs at least).
+1
+1
+1
+1

Edited 1622409093
Wow, this many years of a wait for a feature so easy to implement... I may be looking for a new VTT to be honest next year. Yeah, and I have also accidently pressed some initiative buttons when planning my next session which would tell my players what it coming for them next week... Ridiculous. And +1.

Edited 1622563690
wow..... 6 years, still going strong .... +1 
+1 I used the Multi-Sided function for the first time and accidentally clicked "Random Side". Even with "talk to myself" turned on, the roll appeared in the chat and revealed a character as a doppelganger. That happened during game prep, but I don't have a way to delete it from the chat. (And clearing the chat entirely would lose other value things.) Being able to delete a chat post really  needs to be a feature. How is something so small still not done after literal years of requests? 
"HIDE chat message" Yesterday one of my players playing one class, but disguised as another class, accidentally pressed a spell button on his character sheet. We scrambled to remove or hide it from the chat log, to no avail. Secret spoiled to players. Could've been a nice reveal later in the game. And as a GM I *SO* wish there was a way to hide certain chat entries from the players. It would be useful to be able clean up old dice rolls too. "HIDE all chat rolls", or a setting to "AUTOHIDE all chat rolls older than 24 hrs". The system is already set up to show and hide things using the "/whisper" command. Shouldn't be too much work to add individual access control. It's basically ACLs light for Roll20. Maybe look up ACL programming? Someone probably already wrote the code you need to implement this feature.
+1 seriously, Roll20 ? you'll loose the race with others VTT platform at some stage if you just ignore simple things like this !
+1. What they said.
+1 It was about 1 year ago they posted This Update  as one of the features coming. Though it has been over a year, and most of the other stuff on the list they have done already. So hopefully it's soon. n_n Wouldn't hurt if we gave the Roll20 Team a reminder and maybe they will be kind enough to give us an update on how far away it is.
+1. It can be aggravating when important info is posted and you can't remove it. Clearing the chat log doesn't delete the information and it can still be seen by players. Having a "delete post" feature would be good.

Edited 1623129717
So, i posted on this thread a while back, helped keep it going. congrats Roll20, I'm done. with the death of my current campaign i see no reason not to try out your competitors. i probably won't be back. dummies
We've been asking for this for 6 years and how do we not have this yet. Deleting a chat message, in terms of programming, does not take longer than the development time of Far Cry 6
+1 Looking forward to cancelling my subscription as soon as my campaign's over and this is the #1 reason. Not paying for a service that ignores simple and common sense user requests for years at a time.
+1 Really need this functionality - seems so basic
+1 It never ceases to amaze me that good suggestions get shut down prematurely due to "lack of upvotes"... meanwhile a simple request like this one actually gets consistently upvoted FOR YEARS, and still gets no dev attention. 
+1 Why isn't this a thing yet? Nevermind the ability to moderate chat; mistakes and typos happen. Things that are meant to be whispered or GM-rolled end up posted as free text for all to see, and our only recourse is to delete the ENTIRE CHAT LOG?! Come on
Players should also be able to delete their own posts, just like in Discord. It's not rocket surgery.
Yep. Just posted homebrew values for myself as a whisper, but it split in multiple messages. The players are not supposed to see that. 
+1 fucked up my whole campaign because my mouse click on one screen overlapped with my character sheet of my BBEG and revealed literally their key abilitiy that makes the whole campaign move forward...PLEASE ADD THIS BASIC FEATURE
+1 This will be developed one day, right...?
I honestly cannot believe that this has not yet been implemented after 6 years. Wanna do something about it devs? I definitely support the creation of this.  +1
Brilliant! This would be an awesome addition!

Edited 1626814119
+2 because I know a friend that likes this idea. He is the guy that replied to this thread before i did. My man Morvith!!!! Also myself
+1. This is a common sense feature that is mindbogglingly lacking in 2021.
+1 Big bad for my entire campaign has been spoiled thanks to one misclick while setting up the NPC sheet. 

Edited 1627334818
+1 Goddamnit, this is the most basic thing to add for an admin in a chat system. It boggles my mind how they haven't made it a thing yet. Even this forum post system has it.
+1. Others have said it, there's no reason this shouldn't have been a feature a long time ago.
+1 . It's really weird you can't delete select entries in chat, at least from a GM perspective. Apart from the massive spoiler potential many GMs in this thread already stumbled into, my sessions can get messy with accidental/wrong rolls, a quick and easy way to clean up a mishap mid-session would make it so much easier to reference previous chats/rolls a few minutes later during the session.
+1.  I end up having to delete the entire Chat History every week because of something I accidentally put into chat during the week during prep and testing.  So, we lose our entire Chat Archive because there is no way to delete individual entries.  Boo.
Matt M. said: +1.  I end up having to delete the entire Chat History every week because of something I accidentally put into chat during the week during prep and testing.  So, we lose our entire Chat Archive because there is no way to delete individual entries.  Boo. I mean.... - you should just make yourself a macro with "/talktomyself on", and then hit that button obsessively whenever you log in before you do anything. But it's still ridiculous that this is an issue.
How is this like being researched for this long? I have worked software engineer for a very long time. This seem like it should have been fixed by now. I get that the text was probably not originally indexed by message but just make all the new messages indexed then when the game master deletes the line it can use the index as the key to delete the message (with a confirmation of course). It's not brain surgery. Sure maybe you can't make it work backwards with the system you have but you should be able to build this for future messaging. Building a bridge interface might be helpful in doing this. This taking so long makes it feel like the code base must be very spaghetti code with strong coupling. I apologies for the tough tone of this message but you guys needs some tough love where roll20 is going.
This issue combined with the completely wrong way they store images on Amazon S3 makes it obvious that they can't fix basic bugs in some of the code. They'd seriously save money fixing the the image storage issue but they either can't or don't care. TikiPhill said: How is this like being researched for this long? I have worked software engineer for a very long time. This seem like it should have been fixed by now. I get that the text was probably not originally indexed by message but just make all the new messages indexed then when the game master deletes the line it can use the index as the key to delete the message (with a confirmation of course). It's not brain surgery. Sure maybe you can't make it work backwards with the system you have but you should be able to build this for future messaging. Building a bridge interface might be helpful in doing this. This taking so long makes it feel like the code base must be very spaghetti code with strong coupling. I apologies for the tough tone of this message but you guys needs some tough love where roll20 is going.