Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow the GM to delete a line in the chat text

+1 to delete specific items from chat
Magnar S.
Pro
API Scripter
This seems like a really basic feature to be missing. I just added a big spoiler to my chat, thinking that rolling on tables would be whispered to me. Doh.
+1 to delete from chat I second Magnar! I just spoiled a set up by hitting the title for an ability I was creating, not realizing it would send the use of the ability to chat. I expected I'd look up how to remove the chat entry and be like, "D'oh! Of course!" I am currently a little unclear as to how this is not a feature.  To answer Kenton's question: Delete. It seems as though changing an entry to a whisper would be more complex and take longer, it is easy enough to just choose to re-send something in chat. It would be much better to delete entirely. If anyone is able, does " /talktomyself ON"  actually work? I get  Unrecognized command: /talktomyself ON

Edited 1590465506
The command is just /talktomyself and it will toggle the state of the feature (on if it is off, off if it is on).
mrianmerry
Pro
Sheet Author
William T. said: If anyone is able, does " /talktomyself ON"  actually work? I get  Unrecognized command: /talktomyself ON You're actually so very close - don't use capitals, and it works a treat! Rabulias  said: The command is just  /talktomyself  and it will toggle the state of the feature (on if it is off, off if it is on). Whilst this command is correct, the  /talktomyself on  and  /talktomyself off  commands do work perfectly well - they're just not as nice to use as the toggle.
+1 .  Really would like to delete a surprise for my players that's currently exposed.
+1 adding to this request
Also, wanted to point out to anyone who is reading this and has the power to make this happen that /talktomyself does not take care of all potential use cases for this feature.
Consecrated said: Also, wanted to point out to anyone who is reading this and has the power to make this happen that /talktomyself does not take care of all potential use cases for this feature. Yes, such as the situation where you're whispering something plot critical to a PC, and hit line break out of habit for a new paragraph, and half the message dumps into the group chat. >.< Being able to quickly delete these mess ups would be super helpful.
+1 to this idea
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I think this suggestion might have been mentioned on the last Community Roundtable as something to eventually be done, but don't remember the details. At least I'm pretty sure it's on their radar.
Pretty sure this feature isn't happening anytime soon, the first mention of this feature was 5 years ago, and the last developer input 8 months? Just saying, if this isn't actually possible just tell us and stop giving us all false hope? And if it is  possible, maybe give us a rough time frame so we know it's more than just a pipe dream?
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Yes, this was mentioned in the last Community Roundtable , and in the Pro Forum post . This feature will be part of several enhancements to the Text Chat functionality. 
+1
+1
+1 to delete specific items from chat
+1
Throwing my +1 into the hat as well. Among other problems, I have a player who can't control himself and constantly spams chat.
+1
+1
+1
+1 - need this feature to correct mistaken mouse clicks or when forgetting to turn on talktomyself
+1 why is this not a thing already?
+1 All in for this!
Googled how to delete accidental chat spoilers... Found this post. Why has this request existed for 2 years and not been implemented?
+1!!

Edited 1598172628
+1 Sorely needed!
+1 Itd be nice to have the option to remove specific messages.

Edited 1599694987
+1 Occasionally maddening that this doesn't exist. Especially given the silly line break behavior that always catches someone's whisper out in the open.
+1 on this
+1 I need this when I accidentally message something when I'm working no the campaign on off days.
Delete single message, change to 'GM only', something to remove player sight of a message. The lack of this simple feature just resulted in a problem I'll have to deal with for awhile now—I can't delete the entire chat log for the campaign because we may need to access it in the future and the clear chat is only client-side. Why is something like this still not in?

Edited 1600470635
+1 Critical functionality. Within 1 hour of GMing my first game this became an issue. Managing accidental rolls flooding chat, trimming inappropriate comments, unintentional messages, things said under the wrong character, etc. etc. is a critical editing tool for a GM who plans on using the chat as a record of the game. Deleting the entire chat history every time a single message needs to be removed makes the chat system extremely fragile.

Edited 1600472687
Additional - I doubt we care if the chat is synced live after a delete - PCs have seen it so there's no need to immediately update all chats to reflect a deleted message. DMs only really care about removing it before the game starts usually and any other delete features can be added in the future if enough people care. We only want the most basic delete as soon as possible because it is so annoying without it.
+1 I just failed and posted an upcoming magic item into the chat. Doh!
+1
+1, do want

Edited 1602006649
Greg
Plus
-1, I don't think this is a good idea - I vote against it. The chat log should be an inviolate record of happenings. No one - DM or not - should be able to tamper with that. What is said or done should never be able to be concealed - it should be there as a matter of public record.
Greg said: -1, I don't think this is a good idea - I vote against it. The chat log should be an inviolate record of happenings. No one - DM or not - should be able to tamper with that. What is said or done should never be able to be concealed - it should be there as a matter of public record. Wow, lol ?
Seems like something that should be a basic functionality. At this rate it gives the impression that the developer expect users to use other platform for their chat. Nonetheless, I hope this feature would be added soon enough.
+1
Yup, +1
+1! I'm DM'ing a game for 3 10-year-olds, who sometimes go crazy with nonsense in the chat (and if you know how to stop 10-year-olds from nonsense you are wiser than I am!). I would like to be able to clear it just for my sanity.  Others have given a lot of good reasons too!
+1 - this should be basic functionality that is missing.
+1 too easy to have something bump through chat between sessions during preparation that wasn't intended. "Yes I did test some trap damage between sessions....oh your character's sixth sense is telling them to treat every hallway like an Indiana Jones temple for traps....ok great."
+1
+1
+1
Yeah I accidentally put an NPC's spell in the chat window and would like to delete it without deleting everything. Just letting the DM to delete lines would be useful.
+1. Also accidentally put an NPC's spell in the chat window while setting up for a next-day game.