Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow the GM to delete a line in the chat text

yes please. I like this idea. I sometimes forget to set my baddies rolls to whisper when I'm prepping and don't always want the players to see rolls the baddies have made in test mode!
I thought I was the only one. Yes, please fix this.
+1 I guess the devs were just waiting on me to chime in. SO... here I am... chiming in. Thanks you and your welcome.
It's been 6 years. Do you need help implementing it? I have an affordable hourly rate, and it really shouldn't take too long. Deal?
+1 from me as well

Edited 1630703122
This and folders for maps have been asked for over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  For the love of Pete, Devs!  These are clearly features we, your customers, REALLY want.  There are other option out there now.  You might want to stop driving us away with your neglect.

Edited 1632901153
It's so disappointing that 6 years after the first request it still have not implemented yet. Wtf
So can we delete messages now? 
Carey said: Need this because I accidentally sent an attack to chat and it's going to spoil my trap. :( Ditto. This is the main reason why I want this feature... I spoil SOO many things by accident when I test out new macros and powers.  Also, as someone else pointed out, API scripts don't function while using talktomyself, which is unfortunately what I need to do.
DMing my first campaign, immediately spoiled some big ticket stuff during testing under the assumption that I could always delete the message after so it didn't matter. +1
6 years ago a wise player named Nicholas M. requested the ability to delete message in the chat. There are 6 pages of people agreeing with this feature, yet nothing has happened. Sigh. Maybe if we get to a 7th page of people +1-ing the ideas we'll get lucky...?  I hate having to delete my entire chat history just to not spoil something because I needed to test out a roll-table or another nifty feature.  I have no idea how complicated it would be to implement this feature (so respect if it's a total pain), but in terms of 'bang for your buck' ...this one would pack a mighty punch and get used on the regular!  [People requesting this feature = people requesting this feature + 1]
Please
I feel like adding this straightforward, chat-based feature would be common sense for Roll 20. It would be helpful for entirely text-based games especially. :)
+1
I come into this thread every six months. Nothing is done. It's getting ridiculous. In six years I became a JS programmer. Maybe I should apply for a job, make this feature, and then leave? It seems like a more solid plan than writing here.
+1
+1, again. Is it a data storage/security issue, or would it impact chat logs or something? Any explanation you can provide would be appreciated.
+1 to this feature request -- being able to single chat entries would be useful. I'm often testing things, and I have to create a whole "dummy" campaign where I undertake these activities, simply because I can't delete a few chat entries in the main campaign table..
Let me go ahead and add my voice to the masses requesting this feature - PLEASE ALLOW GMs the ability to delete a line in the chat!!
+1
Yes, please do it! 
+1
+1 Same issue. Going to have to delete an entire 9 months of game log just so the players don't know how the next session starts. .
Staggering that this has not been implemented yet.  Definitely going to check out Foundry.
The fact that there's 3-4 things that have been asked for, for over 5 years, and still hasn't been implemented, were why I left Roll20. I stopped running games due in large part because of the mp folder issue, stayed Pro level for 2 more years not running, nor playing, so that income couldn't be a cop out.  Now that my preferred game system is heading to the Foundry, I doubt I'll be back for longer than 1 month to screenshot my character vault. My long time GM is watching closely but is considering making the jump too for similar reasons.  Aaron E. said: Hey, so I just wanted to +1 all of this, and am letting the Devs know that I'm leaving for Foundry, it costs $50 but has better functionality and, yes, you can actually delete the chat.  This has been asked for for 6 friggin years. The fact that you haven't done anything about it up to this point leads me to believe that you don't really care, and I think that you'll end up regretting that when we all start to switch to different platforms. It is for this, and many other reasons that we are leaving.  For example: If you want a creature to roll a dexterity saving throw against a fireball, it must all be done individually. In foundry? Nah, there is a button that auto-rolls for everything that can be downloaded as a mod.  You want to roll initiative? roll individually. Foundry? Nope, mod for that.  Everything that you guys do now, someone else does better. Just saying. This site will probably going to go the way of Myspace. And the sad thing is, you could have been the kings of this Niche. Foundry, Fantasy Grounds, and many others are now popping up with better functionality and Dev interaction.  Wrapping up this campaign arc then switching over. CYA!

Edited 1639091055
Bump. For whatever its worth.
As much good howling into this void will do but here is my voice too. I want this feature.
Hello, it's been a year and a half since this was mentioned at the Community Roundtable in June 2020. Is there an update on the progress for this feature? It really feels like most people (myself included) would be fine with any kind of simple solution for this, so if outright deleting the chat lines is too difficult to accomplish quickly, then a solution like retroactive whispers would be great. Dynamic Lighting has been fantastic, so it'd be lovely if y'all could focus on this next, as I care magnitudes less about literally any other feature.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
One of my players accidentally pasted their password into the chat box instead of the text they'd intended to paste. I had to purge the entire chatlog. Seriously, there are so many reasons why this should be a feature.
+1, I also have to delete my entire campaign log just because I clicked on an npc who hasn't been revealed yet.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We need that.

Edited 1642188370
The lack of simple features like this is why my groups agreed to move over to Foundry after the current campaign  (Nearly nearly 5 years running on R20) finishes in a month or two. I remember when R20 was "the best" .vtt out there. Sadly those days are fading fast, and they're losing ground to competitors with a quickness.
Also want to add, I would very much like this feature. 
+1
Just been looking for this feature myself. Disappointing that basic chat tools are not present.
I need this function. Roll20 Devs usually like this?
Yes please 
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ruckmaul said: I need this function. Roll20 Devs usually like this? Yes.
+1
+1 For the reasons everyone said above, it sucks to post a spoiler as a GM
+1 - How is this not a thing yet, such a simple request. Unless the chat is stored in a really weird way, Don't see why this isn't a simple function!
Please make this happen it’s very annoying 
Would really appreciate if this were allowed. It is always a big *sigh* moment when I misclick on something in DnDBeyond while reading and it posts on the chat, spoiling any element of complete surprise.
+1, amazing that this has not yet happened
I've cancelled my yearly pro subscription, this topic was one of the two reasons I cited in my departing rant. FYI this is the other reason.
Roll 20,  I feel like this is quite an essential feature that really needs to be addressed. If a player or myself clicks on something by accident or because of some strange lag spike, or for any reason. It should be removeable. It does not allow you to revoke any potential spoilers if something is added into the chat by misake.  This thread is 7 years old now. How can such a vital feature not be added? Whether it be deleted by the GM or the poster, you should always be able to redact/delete messages. Loosing a whole chat history because of a small error seems like such an oversite. 
Yes, I very much want this. I would use it all the time!
+1