Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War

Drespar said: ...lag will mostly be on the GMs side, players should experience relatively little. I understand that, but I did not exaggerate, trying to drag a character from journal onto the map, leaves a box with that character name in the middle of the screen that will not go away unless page is reloaded, moving token already on the map does similiar thing, it is unplayable sadly. Drespar said: Are these larger games? That might be another potential cause for the symptoms you are seeing. That said, I would recommend possibly clearing your chat archive, especially in long running games, to see if that eliminates some of the slow down. You can find info on that and more here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives</a> That happen is official Curse of Strahd module, and chat archive is clear, so its not caused by that. In short, everything runs very well untill I tick enable Advanced Fog of War in map settings, then just like that, doing anything takes forever even panning map by few squares takes several seconds, it all comes back to normal when I untick it.
Reading over the wiki, I’ve realized it says that you only reveal AFoW when you cast light onto it (or use the AFoW view token setting). If I have a party without darkvision in a cave, and only one is carrying a torch (because the others want both hands free to hold a sword and shield between them and the grue), then no one except the torch-bearer will reveal AFoW; the others will not be able to see / remember where they have been. This is very counter-intuitive for players. I know it adds more complication, but I really think it is important to reveal AFoW for tokens that have sight but aren’t currently emitting light, corresponding to what they can currently see due to other light sources. The same concept would apply to a map that has global illumination enabled with dynamic lighting. If the player is in an open-air hedge maze during the day, you want them to be able to “remember” where they have been, despite not being able to see there at the moment, even when emitting no light personally. &nbsp;No, in this case you could set the AFoW view setting on the token to a large number to get the correct effect (I’d almost say that should be the default when global illumination is turned on). Note that I sadly have not had time to play with the feature myself, so apologies if I am misunderstanding how it already works.
Looks really nice, and seems to have reasonable performance for me (though just as GM, haven't tested it with players yet). However, after a while of moving around a map it seems to crash with out of memory. At this point I can't select or move any tokens. This is on a relatively small map (just 25x25), with dynamic lighting and update on drop enabled. My PC has 32GB of memory, running in Chrome on Linux. Top is declaring I have 20GB free. Console log at time of crash: VM279:167 Uncaught RangeError: Failed to execute 'getImageData' on 'CanvasRenderingContext2D': Out of memory at ImageData creation at CanvasRenderingContext2D.getImageData (&lt;anonymous&gt;:167:23) at c (app.js?1506538743:31) at app.js?1506538743:31 at Array.forEach (&lt;anonymous&gt;) at Function.k.each.k.forEach (base.js?1506449138:1) at g (app.js?1506538743:31) at Object.d20.canvas_overlay.postProcessing (app.js?1506538743:31) at Object.d20.engine.postProcessing (app.js?1506538743:32) at i.renderAll (app.js?1506538743:27) at d20.engine.renderLoop (app.js?1506538743:33) (anonymous) @ VM279:167 c @ app.js?1506538743:31 (anonymous) @ app.js?1506538743:31 k.each.k.forEach @ base.js?1506449138:1 g @ app.js?1506538743:31 d20.canvas_overlay.postProcessing @ app.js?1506538743:31 d20.engine.postProcessing @ app.js?1506538743:32 renderAll @ app.js?1506538743:27 d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33
CrazyGambler said: Drespar said: ...lag will mostly be on the GMs side, players should experience relatively little. I understand that, but I did not exaggerate, trying to drag a character from journal onto the map, leaves a box with that character name in the middle of the screen that will not go away unless page is reloaded, moving token already on the map does similiar thing, it is unplayable sadly. Drespar said: Are these larger games? That might be another potential cause for the symptoms you are seeing. That said, I would recommend possibly clearing your chat archive, especially in long running games, to see if that eliminates some of the slow down. You can find info on that and more here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives</a> That happen is official Curse of Strahd module, and chat archive is clear, so its not caused by that. In short, everything runs very well untill I tick enable Advanced Fog of War in map settings, then just like that, doing anything takes forever even panning map by few squares takes several seconds, it all comes back to normal when I untick it. Do you have a lot of NPC-characters with "has sight" enabled? I think that might be a major culprit on my end.
Jan L.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey, I love the new feature! It seems a bit laggy on my end.&nbsp; One of the reasons for the lag was the fact that a lot of the Tomb of Annihilation NPC's have 'has sight' turned on. So I think it had to calculate a lot of stuff. But still with only four characters that have sight turned on, it still works a laggy, its doable, but it isn't smooth. I'm really excited about this feature, and i'm looking forward to using it! Thanks Roll20 team!

Edited 1506603857
Terje
Plus
I have not used Advanced Fog in a game yet, but I love the concept. (Will use it in a game tonight…) -Terry
Yea laggy, what everyone else has been saying. Cool feature though and my players love it as well.
Ravenknight said: Do you have a lot of NPC-characters with "has sight" enabled? I think that might be a major culprit on my end. Only one with sight, two other tokens on the map.
CrazyGambler said: Drespar said: ...lag will mostly be on the GMs side, players should experience relatively little. I understand that, but I did not exaggerate, trying to drag a character from journal onto the map, leaves a box with that character name in the middle of the screen that will not go away unless page is reloaded, moving token already on the map does similiar thing, it is unplayable sadly. Drespar said: Are these larger games? That might be another potential cause for the symptoms you are seeing. That said, I would recommend possibly clearing your chat archive, especially in long running games, to see if that eliminates some of the slow down. You can find info on that and more here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Archives</a> That happen is official Curse of Strahd module, and chat archive is clear, so its not caused by that. In short, everything runs very well untill I tick enable Advanced Fog of War in map settings, then just like that, doing anything takes forever even panning map by few squares takes several seconds, it all comes back to normal when I untick it. For some additional information on this, what browser/OS are you using? Additionally, is this happening on very large maps, and does it persist on smaller maps? Are you perhaps using any Ultra High Def monitors or 4K that manage to show up the whole map at once? Fog of War works off of your "view port" if you will, in that if you have a lot of the cells on screen, you might run into some slow downs. Thank you in advance!
Jan L. said: Hey, I love the new feature! It seems a bit laggy on my end.&nbsp; One of the reasons for the lag was the fact that a lot of the Tomb of Annihilation NPC's have 'has sight' turned on. So I think it had to calculate a lot of stuff. But still with only four characters that have sight turned on, it still works a laggy, its doable, but it isn't smooth. I'm really excited about this feature, and i'm looking forward to using it! Thanks Roll20 team! Similar questions to what I had asked CrazyGambler: What browser/OS are you using? Additionally, is this happening on very large maps, and does it persist on smaller maps? Are you perhaps using any Ultra High Def monitors or 4K that manage to show up the whole map at once? Something to keep in mind, is that the fog's performance is not affected by the number of light sources or obstructions, the main factor is your "view port"- or how much you are able to see at a time. Thank you as well!
Spent the evening testing out the feature on different maps and I've noticed that having any tainted items on the map slows things down considerably when it comes to AFoW together with the amount of tokens with sight enabled.&nbsp;

Edited 1506632209
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Samuel Penn said: Looks really nice, and seems to have reasonable performance for me (though just as GM, haven't tested it with players yet). However, after a while of moving around a map it seems to crash with out of memory. At this point I can't select or move any tokens. This is on a relatively small map (just 25x25), with dynamic lighting and update on drop enabled. My PC has 32GB of memory, running in Chrome on Linux. Top is declaring I have 20GB free. Console log at time of crash: VM279:167 Uncaught RangeError: Failed to execute 'getImageData' on 'CanvasRenderingContext2D': Out of memory at ImageData creation at CanvasRenderingContext2D.getImageData (&lt;anonymous&gt;:167:23) at c (app.js?1506538743:31) at app.js?1506538743:31 at Array.forEach (&lt;anonymous&gt;) at Function.k.each.k.forEach (base.js?1506449138:1) at g (app.js?1506538743:31) at Object.d20.canvas_overlay.postProcessing (app.js?1506538743:31) at Object.d20.engine.postProcessing (app.js?1506538743:32) at i.renderAll (app.js?1506538743:27) at d20.engine.renderLoop (app.js?1506538743:33) (anonymous) @ VM279:167 c @ app.js?1506538743:31 (anonymous) @ app.js?1506538743:31 k.each.k.forEach @ base.js?1506449138:1 g @ app.js?1506538743:31 d20.canvas_overlay.postProcessing @ app.js?1506538743:31 d20.engine.postProcessing @ app.js?1506538743:32 renderAll @ app.js?1506538743:27 d20.engine.renderLoop @ app.js?1506538743:33 requestAnimationFrame (async) Thank you for the log! From what this is telling me is that you hit the memory cap of one of your tabs in chrome that caused the crash. I know I am probably sounding a bit repetitive, but it certainly helps to get an idea of common factors! Is this happening on very large maps, and does it persist on smaller maps? Are you perhaps using any Ultra High Def monitors or 4K that manage to show up the whole map at once? Thank you!
Ravenknight said: Spent the evening testing out the feature on different maps and I've noticed that having any tainted items on the map slows things down considerably when it comes to AFoW together with the amount of tokens with sight enabled.&nbsp; When you say "tainted"- what exactly do you mean?
Jan L.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Drespar said: Jan L. said: Hey, I love the new feature! It seems a bit laggy on my end.&nbsp; One of the reasons for the lag was the fact that a lot of the Tomb of Annihilation NPC's have 'has sight' turned on. So I think it had to calculate a lot of stuff. But still with only four characters that have sight turned on, it still works a laggy, its doable, but it isn't smooth. I'm really excited about this feature, and i'm looking forward to using it! Thanks Roll20 team! Similar questions to what I had asked CrazyGambler: What browser/OS are you using? Additionally, is this happening on very large maps, and does it persist on smaller maps? Are you perhaps using any Ultra High Def monitors or 4K that manage to show up the whole map at once? Something to keep in mind, is that the fog's performance is not affected by the number of light sources or obstructions, the main factor is your "view port"- or how much you are able to see at a time. Thank you as well! Windows 10/ Chrome I don't have a high resolution. I play at 1920 x 1080. Map size is 20x20. Did you update something? It seems to be running much better now
Drespar said: Ravenknight said: Spent the evening testing out the feature on different maps and I've noticed that having any tainted items on the map slows things down considerably when it comes to AFoW together with the amount of tokens with sight enabled.&nbsp; When you say "tainted"- what exactly do you mean? "Tinted" - English isn't my first language. :D
On bigger maps, it really is unusable for me, I tried it in white plume mountain and it was really rough =/ I have a 4K monitor but even at my most zoomed in setting it was really laggy. GTX1080Ti and i7 4790K with 16gb of ram here, the tab with the map taking up around 1gb. Extremely cool feature and as a dev myself I see the difficulties, but I think without performance improvements somehow, this will be hard to use for most people. Without assuming too much I think something as complex as this is extremely hard to get performant though so I know the struggle :(

Edited 1506637785
I love the idea of this, since my players get easily lost and would help them to see past areas, however like many others have stated it causes way too much lag on the GM side of things. My players said it also caused some lag but was bearable. Tried it on a 50x50 map, using Windows 10 on Google Chrome, the monitor is just 1980x1080, scrolling was laggy and froze a few times, it also took some time to update tokens being moved with no animation for them moving across the board.

Edited 1506642380
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Adnan said: On bigger maps, it really is unusable for me, I tried it in white plume mountain and it was really rough =/ I have a 4K monitor but even at my most zoomed in setting it was really laggy. GTX1080Ti and i7 4790K with 16gb of ram here, the tab with the map taking up around 1gb. Extremely cool feature and as a dev myself I see the difficulties, but I think without performance improvements somehow, this will be hard to use for most people. Without assuming too much I think something as complex as this is extremely hard to get performant though so I know the struggle :( Thank you for that information! It really does help :) The 4k definitely plays a roll in that you are able to process and render a lot more at a time which is likely the cause for the performance hit. If you are able, reducing map size where possible could help alleviate that issue. Edit: You can also try reducing the size of your browser window, that might alleviate some of the lag. And also try using "Update on Drop" to see if that might help when moving tokens.
Ravenknight said: Drespar said: Ravenknight said: Spent the evening testing out the feature on different maps and I've noticed that having any tainted items on the map slows things down considerably when it comes to AFoW together with the amount of tokens with sight enabled.&nbsp; When you say "tainted"- what exactly do you mean? "Tinted" - English isn't my first language. :D Completely fine! I thought it was Tinted but did not want to assume :) However, that is a very interesting find. Do you think you could try and capture a console log of when you apply a tint? And just to further clarify: is this the actual tint that changes the token color, or the aura that creates a colored zone around the token. Thank you!
NapazTrix said: I love the idea of this, since my players get easily lost and would help them to see past areas, however like many others have stated it causes way too much lag on the GM side of things. My players said it also caused some lag but was bearable. Tried it on a 50x50 map, using Windows 10 on Google Chrome, the monitor is just 1980x1080, scrolling was laggy and froze a few times, it also took some time to update tokens being moved with no animation for them moving across the board. The load on the GM is typically going to be a lot higher with regards to the fact that you are accommodating for all of the tokens whereas your players are only handling a single one. 50x50 is a somewhat larger map, What you might try is toggling "Update on Drop" since you are experiencing lag when moving tokens. Let me know if that helps out a bit!
Why are my maps so laggy that they can berely function?

Edited 1506655828
The performance is so bad that you're better off reverting to a previous commit and redoing this with performance in mind.
Drespar said: NapazTrix said: I love the idea of this, since my players get easily lost and would help them to see past areas, however like many others have stated it causes way too much lag on the GM side of things. My players said it also caused some lag but was bearable. Tried it on a 50x50 map, using Windows 10 on Google Chrome, the monitor is just 1980x1080, scrolling was laggy and froze a few times, it also took some time to update tokens being moved with no animation for them moving across the board. The load on the GM is typically going to be a lot higher with regards to the fact that you are accommodating for all of the tokens whereas your players are only handling a single one. 50x50 is a somewhat larger map, What you might try is toggling "Update on Drop" since you are experiencing lag when moving tokens. Let me know if that helps out a bit! So are you saying basically anything bigger than the default 25x25 is a large map? All my maps are larger than 25x25 because I like the idea of exploration. Which is why we wanted this feature in the first place to explore large expanses and see where we have been. If we are only allowed to use it with a 25x25 space I wish you would just be upfront with us about that.

Edited 1506658430
To chime in on the map sizes, I routinely use 66x88 sized maps in my Tsar campaign (as the majority of maps are 10 ft. squares and some go up to 40 ft. squares (290x350)).&nbsp; These ones are where 'long' range combat comes into play. Thank you for your efforts on this feature, it has been a LONG time coming.&nbsp; There is more to do, but the feature is worth the work.
If you are calling a 50x50 map large, you have some serious issues.&nbsp; I'm trying to convert Night Below and my group has gotten about half-way through the campaign. Effectively, I am just drawing the maps. No super graphics or anything.&nbsp; My machine isn't ridiculous but it does operate a gtx 1060, i7 7th gen and 16 GB of DDR4 memory and I can't even select and move tokens without huge pauses. None of this was an issue before tonight. If the performance remains this bad, I absolutely will find another solution. I certainly would prefer not having the new features rather than having them and not having a usable experience.

Edited 1506665518
Phoxounet
Sheet Author
Translator
Joe M. said: Reading over the wiki, I’ve realized it says that you only reveal AFoW when you cast light onto it (or use the AFoW view token setting). If I have a party without darkvision in a cave, and only one is carrying a torch (because the others want both hands free to hold a sword and shield between them and the grue), then no one except the torch-bearer will reveal AFoW; the others will not be able to see / remember where they have been. This is very counter-intuitive for players. I know it adds more complication, but I really think it is important to reveal AFoW for tokens that have sight but aren’t currently emitting light, corresponding to what they can currently see due to other light sources. The same concept would apply to a map that has global illumination enabled with dynamic lighting. If the player is in an open-air hedge maze during the day, you want them to be able to “remember” where they have been, despite not being able to see there at the moment, even when emitting no light personally. &nbsp;No, in this case you could set the AFoW view setting on the token to a large number to get the correct effect (I’d almost say that should be the default when global illumination is turned on). Note that I sadly have not had time to play with the feature myself, so apologies if I am misunderstanding how it already works. Ran a game with this feature, in the same conditions : dark place, group of 4 players and the mage casting a light spell so that everyone can see and progress in the dungeon. We didn't have this problem. Did you check the "all players can see light" on the mage token parameters ? My wife is one of the players, she's not the mage but had normal advanced fog of war display. (We play in the same room and I could check on her screen what her character was seeing during the game. ;) ) Edit : Even if the other players don't have dark vision, I set their vision to 5m (16 ft, dim) and 1m (3 ft, bright) (natural poor vision in dark places).&nbsp; Edit 2 : misread your post. I though you encountered the problem. Well, as you can see above, we ran the game in the conditions you described and had no problem at all with the feature. However, I don't know if setting a really poor vision (instead of none) is what could make the difference. As I understand the feature, it is based on what a character can see, not the light source. So, If you can see a lightsource in an area, then you will remember this area (even if you're not the lightsource). For example, if you set emitting light torches (that everyone can see) in a dungeon, characters will remember these places even if they don't produce light at all. Moreover, Devs, we really enjoyed this feature even if the game was very laggy. It was not unbearable but could be an issue if this related to the size of map (which should certainly be...). We sometimes have huge maps (100x100) and this could be unplayable on a map of this scale. Hope you will able to optimize this feature ! Regards :)
So I'm currently having an issue where the Advanced Fog of War is not updating with the Dim Light settings, even when the Dim Light is set. This feature worked fine yesterday, and it still works on the map that I used, but for whatever reason it does not work on this map, as shown here: The token has a Light Radius of 60ft, Dim Light starting at 5ft, and Has Sight. The page settings are set to use Advanced Fog of War, as well as Dim Light Reveals, and yet it still only reveals a 5ft Square around the token. In this page though, the token has the same sight, but the dim lighting still reveals appropriately. It has done this as of today, as far as I am aware, as I set up the dynamic lighting for it yesterday and it worked fine, and still does. All of the settings are exactly the same on both pages and tokens, other than the page size itself.

Edited 1506688427
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Jason Grigsby said: If you are calling a 50x50 map large, you have some serious issues.&nbsp; I'm trying to convert Night Below and my group has gotten about half-way through the campaign. Effectively, I am just drawing the maps. No super graphics or anything.&nbsp; My machine isn't ridiculous but it does operate a gtx 1060, i7 7th gen and 16 GB of DDR4 memory and I can't even select and move tokens without huge pauses. None of this was an issue before tonight. If the performance remains this bad, I absolutely will find another solution. I certainly would prefer not having the new features rather than having them and not having a usable experience. Thank you for the system specs! Certainly helps in finding common links as we go along :) Having slow downs when moving tokens points heavily towards possibly trying with "Update on Drop" checked as the system will not try to reveal cells until it is dropped which can help with performance issues. Another work around for now is the reduce the maximum cell number you can load by reducing your browser window size. Let me know if these help with performance, thank you!
First, I want to say thank you for this feature. I really hope you can iron out all the kinks and get it working smoothly. This is a feature that I don't think my players and I can live without now that we've experienced it. Very useful, very awesome. I wanted to chime in to say that despite what the wiki says, it's not really saved on a per token basis, seems to be on a per player basis. I am the DM. I gave myself control of a token, then rejoined as player. I did some moving around, everything worked as it should. Went back to DM mode, deleted the token, and then rejoined as player again. Despite having no token on the map at all as a player, I was still able to see everything I had previously revealed. Also, any changes made to the map layer in a section that has been explored by a player, but currently greyed out of sight for them, is still shown to them. For example, if PC1 walks down a hall and turns a corner, they can no longer see down the hall they just walked down. If DM makes a change to the first hall on the map layer, PC1 will still see the change even though the token cannot see it currently. I understand this is most likely a limitation on the software, but if you could find away to code it in a manner to counteract this, I think it would be ideal. An example of use for this might be a party goes through a tunnel system and while they are occupied deep in the tunnel, they are not meant to know that their escape route has been blocked off. If I try to make that change on the map layer, the party will in fact see the updated version of the blocked tunnel even though they are nowhere near it, just because they have previously revealed that spot and I'm editing the map layer there. Short term work around for this is of course to make changes to the object layer.
Skeleton Jester said: So I'm currently having an issue where the Advanced Fog of War is not updating with the Dim Light settings, even when the Dim Light is set. This feature worked fine yesterday, and it still works on the map that I used, but for whatever reason it does not work on this map, as shown here: The token has a Light Radius of 60ft, Dim Light starting at 5ft, and Has Sight. The page settings are set to use Advanced Fog of War, as well as Dim Light Reveals, and yet it still only reveals a 5ft Square around the token. In this page though, the token has the same sight, but the dim lighting still reveals appropriately. It has done this as of today, as far as I am aware, as I set up the dynamic lighting for it yesterday and it worked fine, and still does. All of the settings are exactly the same on both pages and tokens, other than the page size itself. If you like, I can hop in and have a look to maybe see what is going on. I just need the name of the game and the page name that the map is on :) Additionally, if you can provide any information about your Browser/OS and potentially a console log as outlined here:&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues</a> Thank you!
Joseph W. said: First, I want to say thank you for this feature. I really hope you can iron out all the kinks and get it working smoothly. This is a feature that I don't think my players and I can live without now that we've experienced it. Very useful, very awesome. I wanted to chime in to say that despite what the wiki says, it's not really saved on a per token basis, seems to be on a per player basis. I am the DM. I gave myself control of a token, then rejoined as player. I did some moving around, everything worked as it should. Went back to DM mode, deleted the token, and then rejoined as player again. Despite having no token on the map at all as a player, I was still able to see everything I had previously revealed. Also, any changes made to the map layer in a section that has been explored by a player, but currently greyed out of sight for them, is still shown to them. For example, if PC1 walks down a hall and turns a corner, they can no longer see down the hall they just walked down. If DM makes a change to the first hall on the map layer, PC1 will still see the change even though the token cannot see it currently. I understand this is most likely a limitation on the software, but if you could find away to code it in a manner to counteract this, I think it would be ideal. An example of use for this might be a party goes through a tunnel system and while they are occupied deep in the tunnel, they are not meant to know that their escape route has been blocked off. If I try to make that change on the map layer, the party will in fact see the updated version of the blocked tunnel even though they are nowhere near it, just because they have previously revealed that spot and I'm editing the map layer there. Short term work around for this is of course to make changes to the object layer. The first part actually sounds correct as the information is sent to firebase and I believe associated with the player account. I will double check with the devs to make sure and possibly correct our wiki page. Thank you for bringing it up! That is an interesting use case. You are certainly right with your short term work around. I don't believe there is a way currently that accounts for new assets added to the map layer, certainly an idea to toss over to the devs though :)
Thanks for your community engagement and quick replies. I know you guys are probably working really hard on this, so no complaints here from me. Another question. Is there currently a way to "reset" what a player has revealed? I revealed basically an entire map during my testing and, wanting to do further testing, wanted to reset the revealed progress. I turned off the advanced fog of war completely, saved it, CTRL+L it's all black. But as soon as I turn advanced fog of war back on, CTRL+L, all previous progress was still revealed.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Joseph W. said: Thanks for your community engagement and quick replies. I know you guys are probably working really hard on this, so no complaints here from me. Another question. Is there currently a way to "reset" what a player has revealed? I revealed basically an entire map during my testing and, wanting to do further testing, wanted to reset the revealed progress. I turned off the advanced fog of war completely, saved it, CTRL+L it's all black. But as soon as I turn advanced fog of war back on, CTRL+L, all previous progress was still revealed. In the Left-of-the-screen toolbar (the one with the ruler, and layers, etc) in the Fog of War section, is a button to reset Fog of War.
Joseph W. said: Thanks for your community engagement and quick replies. I know you guys are probably working really hard on this, so no complaints here from me. Another question. Is there currently a way to "reset" what a player has revealed? I revealed basically an entire map during my testing and, wanting to do further testing, wanted to reset the revealed progress. I turned off the advanced fog of war completely, saved it, CTRL+L it's all black. But as soon as I turn advanced fog of war back on, CTRL+L, all previous progress was still revealed. We certainly appreciate all of the feed back, we have a lot more unique set ups bring everything over from dev so any and all information is very helpful in making sure we can push out performance increases for as wide a range as possible :) Currently, the only way to reset AFoW is to simply reset the fog, or you can use the Fog of War tools to re-apply a big square to cover everything. However, this will have an effect on all players instead of one. You can check out more on this section of the wiki:&nbsp; Revealing and Reapplying Fog
Drespar said: For some additional information on this, what browser/OS are you using? Additionally, is this happening on very large maps, and does it persist on smaller maps? Are you perhaps using any Ultra High Def monitors or 4K that manage to show up the whole map at once? Fog of War works off of your "view port" if you will, in that if you have a lot of the cells on screen, you might run into some slow downs. Thank you in advance! Browsers I tried this on are Chrome and Firefox, Chrome was slightly better, but it was barely noticeable. OS Windows 10, x64 and I have 1080p screen. As for the map that I was testing this on Barovia Church&nbsp;32x23 units, from Curse of Strahd module, and later I made quick 25x25 with nothing on it, and there was no improvement to preformance that I noticed.

Edited 1506701766
I too have the Dim Light Reveals option not working bug. Also, it gets fairly laggy with a bigger view distance. I love love love love LOVE the concept but some of my players haven't got the best PC's/internet, so I'll probably have to wait to work with it until those things might be solved. I'm hyped though.
Hey everyone! We just pushed out an update to Advanced Fog of War today! There was some caching issues that caused some slow downs with light generating tokens. That should be fixed now and provide some performance boosts for many. Thank you for your patience, and please keep letting us know of any issues! :)
Another update for everyone: The devs are aware of the issue regarding Dim Light Reveals and are actively trying to get a fix out for that!
Thanks for the news!&nbsp; Any word on when the "ghosting" of the dark, unexplored parts of the map will be fixed?&nbsp; It really puts a damper on the usability of advanced fog of war if it gives away the map.&nbsp;&nbsp;
The problem for me is that dim light is suddenly much brighter when advanced fog of war is turned on. For example, this is a screenshot of "normal" dim light: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/eczVGZN.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/eczVGZN.png</a> This is the same screenshot with "advanced fog of war" turned on: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/2PgS4vL.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/2PgS4vL.png</a> As you can see, with "advanced fog of war" on, the dim light radius is somehow much brighter. I did not have the option "Dim light reveals" on. Browser is Firefox 57.0b3. It looks the same on Chromium 55.0.2883.87. I would have expected to there be no change in dim light between having "advanced fog of war" on or off.
Steren said: Thanks for the news!&nbsp; Any word on when the "ghosting" of the dark, unexplored parts of the map will be fixed?&nbsp; It really puts a damper on the usability of advanced fog of war if it gives away the map.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not 100% sure this will address your concern, but if the DM wants to have ambient lighting from torches in a room that the players have not searched, then one option is to ensure the following: 1. Verify Has Sight is not checked on the model. 2. Set the dim light distance to -5. I've found that models with Has Sight checked reveal map info in the Advanced Fog of War. &nbsp;Using the toggle to turn off dim light reveals allows a light source in a room without revealing the room. &nbsp;Admitidly, this is not how torches work, but I'm sure the dev team will find a work around.
After the optimization we are still seeing severe frame drop with advanced fog of war enabled. Ran a chrome dev tool report, attached the json <a href="https://gist.github.com/victusfate/e7c9402adb4a020e85a394566f17c55b" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/victusfate/e7c9402adb4a020e85a394566f17c55b</a>

Edited 1506814272
Skeleton Jester said: So I'm currently having an issue where the Advanced Fog of War is not updating with the Dim Light settings, even when the Dim Light is set. This feature worked fine yesterday, and it still works on the map that I used, but for whatever reason it does not work on this map, as shown here: The token has a Light Radius of 60ft, Dim Light starting at 5ft, and Has Sight. The page settings are set to use Advanced Fog of War, as well as Dim Light Reveals, and yet it still only reveals a 5ft Square around the token. In this page though, the token has the same sight, but the dim lighting still reveals appropriately. It has done this as of today, as far as I am aware, as I set up the dynamic lighting for it yesterday and it worked fine, and still does. All of the settings are exactly the same on both pages and tokens, other than the page size itself. Same problem here, even setting Advanced Fog of War in token's window just can't fix the problem... Roll20 only "saves" the squares touched by bright light

Edited 1506878276
I am running Tales From the Yawning Portal, and there are some maps that I can not reset the fog on. Even on a fresh test game as soon as I put a token on the map there are rooms that are already revealed as though they have already been visited. I have tried toggling all features on and off and have tried to run each feature independantly but nothing changes. There is nothing I can do to not have these rooms show up as if already explored.
I am fairly new with the AFoW feature, but it seems that when I view from the players perspective (as rejoin as player) none of the sight or light emits work and the feature doesn't reveal the map as they move. It does when I view from the players perspective via ctrl+L, but not when I switch viewpoints over a character I control. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug? &nbsp;
I'm still figuring it out myself. Do you have the token set to be controlled by yourself, by chance?
I am currently running STK, with my players in The Eye of the All Father. I get the message "The number of units is too great to work with the Advanced Fog of War feature. Is there specs for this feature, so that in the future I can trim my maps to better accommodate this? I should point out, that I've changed the scale of many of the maps, as the squares are so small once set to 5' that it's hard to play. In most cases, I don't show the players they're 50' squares on the stones maps, and set those to be 20' with 5' grid and scale the provided image 2x.

Edited 1506898335
Jeramie C. said: Steren said: Thanks for the news!&nbsp; Any word on when the "ghosting" of the dark, unexplored parts of the map will be fixed?&nbsp; It really puts a damper on the usability of advanced fog of war if it gives away the map.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not 100% sure this will address your concern, but if the DM wants to have ambient lighting from torches in a room that the players have not searched, then one option is to ensure the following: 1. Verify Has Sight is not checked on the model. 2. Set the dim light distance to -5. I've found that models with Has Sight checked reveal map info in the Advanced Fog of War. &nbsp;Using the toggle to turn off dim light reveals allows a light source in a room without revealing the room. &nbsp;Admitidly, this is not how torches work, but I'm sure the dev team will find a work around. Along with this, could there be a way to only reveal AFoW for tokens controlled by players and ignore all other tokens on the map? That way I can still see what distance my NPCs can see, but not reveal or hit the system performance?
WyvernSpirit said: I am fairly new with the AFoW feature, but it seems that when I view from the players perspective (as rejoin as player) none of the sight or light emits work and the feature doesn't reveal the map as they move. It does when I view from the players perspective via ctrl+L, but not when I switch viewpoints over a character I control. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug? &nbsp; Jordan G. said: I'm still figuring it out myself. Do you have the token set to be controlled by yourself, by chance? You will want to make sure that the token you are trying to view through is controllable by yourself as you will be considered a "Player."
Drespar said: WyvernSpirit said: I am fairly new with the AFoW feature, but it seems that when I view from the players perspective (as rejoin as player) none of the sight or light emits work and the feature doesn't reveal the map as they move. It does when I view from the players perspective via ctrl+L, but not when I switch viewpoints over a character I control. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug? &nbsp; Jordan G. said: I'm still figuring it out myself. Do you have the token set to be controlled by yourself, by chance? You will want to make sure that the token you are trying to view through is controllable by yourself as you will be considered a "Player." Yes, I made sure that I was the one controlling the token through the character sheet settings. I learned that it has something to do with not revealing areas in the normal FoW layer, but I am still pretty confused on the dual layer aspect.&nbsp;