Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War

Edited 1508118569
Drespar said: Does this problem only occur on a few maps, or are you able to reproduce it on say a custom map? I just created a custom map with a basic Dynamic Lighting setup. Enabling Advanced FoW yields the same bug (random areas getting revealed). Disabling Advanced Fow allows lighting to function as intended.
Stephen L. said: Yes, this was retested after resetting the Fog of War. Just to make sure, is the map aligned to the grid? Advanced fog of war reveals areas based solely on if the center pixel of a grid cell is revealed. So if the map is not properly aligned to the grid, you will notice issues like what you are experiencing. You can get more detailed information here:&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War#How_Dynamic_Lighting_Interacts_with_Advanced_Fog_of_War" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War#How_Dynamic_Lighting_Interacts_with_Advanced_Fog_of_War</a>
Drespar said: Stephen L. said: Yes, this was retested after resetting the Fog of War. Just to make sure, is the map aligned to the grid? Advanced fog of war reveals areas based solely on if the center pixel of a grid cell is revealed. So if the map is not properly aligned to the grid, you will notice issues like what you are experiencing. You can get more detailed information here:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War#How_Dynamic_Lighting_Interacts_with_Advanced_Fog_of_War" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Fog_of_War#How_Dynamic_Lighting_Interacts_with_Advanced_Fog_of_War</a> The custom map I created was aligned to the grid for every element of dynamic lighting with the bug still occurring.&nbsp; This is also occurring on the Yawning Portal I purchased. The map appears to be aligned to the grid but the dynamic lighting does not. On this map, Advanced FoW is randomly revealing areas on the opposite side of the map. So while I understand your point on grid alignment, I'm not sure that would resolve the issues I've seen.
Sorry if there was a misunderstanding! That response was only for Stephen L. to see if that might resolve their problem :) Some dynamic lighting is likely not to be aligned to the grid (rock formations, stalagmites, etc.). The issue with dropping tokens revealing more than intended is a different beast entirely.

Edited 1508317026
IMO The greyed out zone is no beuno for me.&nbsp; The maps I use or the ones I make I don't need the see through grey revealing parts of a map. even if they can't move past it due to the close proximity of the rooms behind them.&nbsp; Ability to adjust opacity on designated areas. Placed an icon inside the Dynamic Lighting Area ---------------------------------------------- Setup the Dynamic Lighting Layer

Edited 1508347289
Is there anyway to disable Advanced Fog of War for enemy NPCs while retaining their sight distance? I've tried setting the Advanced Fog of War View Distance on the individual tokens to 0, but that is still recording AFoW. I do not want or need to remember the map / AFoW as a GM. I just want it for my players. However, I still want to know what the NPCs can see. Right now, having sight distance turned on for all the NPCs in say Ironslag in STK, I can barely move the NPCs.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If you're not using dim light reveals, you could change their light to only be dim light. It would show their sight radius without revealing fog.

Edited 1508416596
Steve K. said: If you're not using dim light reveals, you could change their light to only be dim light. It would show their sight radius without revealing fog. I am using dim light for Darkvision, but I could change this. Will this make it so that the NPCs with dim light do not consume any resources in regards to AFoW? I'm curious, why setting the AFOW view distance to 0 doesn't just do this, as the documentation says this is an override for the emits light values. Seems like it could be a pretty easy way to overcome some of the challenges people have been stating.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jeremy R. said: Steve K. said: If you're not using dim light reveals, you could change their light to only be dim light. It would show their sight radius without revealing fog. I am using dim light for Darkvision, but I could change this. Will this make it so that the NPCs with dim light do not consume any resources in regards to AFoW? I'm curious, why setting the AFOW view distance to 0 doesn't just do this, as the documentation says this is an override for the emits light values. Seems like it could be a pretty easy way to overcome some of the challenges people have been stating. Not exactly. I just meant if you weren't using dim light reveals and gave the NPC only dim light vision, they wouldn't reveal any fog of war. I think you bring up a very valid idea of wanting to use dynamic lighting vision on NPC tokens without them revealing fog, which is something we don't currently support.
Steve K. said: Jeremy R. said: Steve K. said: If you're not using dim light reveals, you could change their light to only be dim light. It would show their sight radius without revealing fog. I am using dim light for Darkvision, but I could change this. Will this make it so that the NPCs with dim light do not consume any resources in regards to AFoW? I'm curious, why setting the AFOW view distance to 0 doesn't just do this, as the documentation says this is an override for the emits light values. Seems like it could be a pretty easy way to overcome some of the challenges people have been stating. Not exactly. I just meant if you weren't using dim light reveals and gave the NPC only dim light vision, they wouldn't reveal any fog of war. I think you bring up a very valid idea of wanting to use dynamic lighting vision on NPC tokens without them revealing fog, which is something we don't currently support. The entire reasoning behind not wanting AFoW for NPCs is pretty straight forward. It states in the documentation that the game saves a Fog layer for each token on the map with Emits light values. Say I have an encounter with 50 baddies and 4 players (probably close to the Ironslag map in STK). That's a difference in resources of around 92%. If resources are a large challenge for this project, I would offer a way for GMs to eliminate it from their NPCs, and just enable it for the players is all. Even something as simple as a checkbox in the map options for enable AFoW for Players Only, or better yet make that the default and checkbox to enable for Non Player Controlled Tokens.
Tried the Advanced Fog of War in my game tonight, only to have it very severly lag the game for everyone in the room!
Ricky R. said: Tried the Advanced Fog of War in my game tonight, only to have it very severly lag the game for everyone in the room! For some additional information on this, what browser/OS are you using? Do you still experience lag when toggling "Update on Drop"? You can also get a bit better performance by resizing your browser window as it reduces the number of "Cells" that can be revealed.
I use both Chrome and Firefox, sometimes I have to switch between the two to figure which one is more stable on a given night when using Roll20. Using Windows 10 pro. Just made sure that all the map pages have "Update on Drop" checked. Map sizes range anywhere from 50 x 60 up to 90 x 90. Yikes, I need the browser fully opened at 1080p resolution, any smaller then it's too cluttered.
Hey Steve K and Despar. Sorry if it has been asked before, but any possibility of having advanced fog of war be solely based on dynamic lighting lines rather than on if that line crossed over the centre point of a square? I'm getting a lot of black squares (especially on maps with circular rooms) which can't be revealed. Would be a great way to have it just based on dynamic lighting restrictions alone (i.e. being able to only reveal half or portions of cells), rather than on full cells only. Thanks
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I tried to suggest such a system to the devs before, even with some high-level math to support it. None of them responded to the suggestion though, so I'm pretty sure the square-by-square system is here to stay. :/
I am a bit new to the platform in comparison to other users, so feel free to correct my ignorance, but I noticed the Advanced Fog of War did not work correctly while using Global Illumination as lighting. If my characters saw a rock 100 feet away using Global Illumination as the light source, but then went behind a tree it would not show the rock, and only things that were within 15 feet of the token. If I make them a light source it will show anything within the light sources range. Also when I dropped a token that emits light into a new map it would automatically have Advanced fog of War vision of the area within the lights range, regardless of the fact that they have never seen those parts, but if I remove the light they emit then reset the fog and give the emitting light back it works correctly. I hope this posts makes sense. Feel free for me to clearify.

Edited 1509146965
Peter H. said: Hey Steve K and Despar. Sorry if it has been asked before, but any possibility of having advanced fog of war be solely based on dynamic lighting lines rather than on if that line crossed over the centre point of a square? I'm getting a lot of black squares (especially on maps with circular rooms) which can't be revealed. Would be a great way to have it just based on dynamic lighting restrictions alone (i.e. being able to only reveal half or portions of cells), rather than on full cells only. Thanks I would like to support this as well. I have way too much work done on "over the center point of a square" dynamic light lines for walls to change everything to the new standard. Some maps from the official modules that Roll20 has released also suffer from this. As it stands, advanced fog of war does not offer enough usability to offset for the massive lag caused in games when used with dynamic lighting.
Hi everyone, To address the questions of why Advanced Fog of War reveals in blocks, I am going to point to one of our earlier&nbsp; community corners : ...the smaller you go with the unit size the much much bigger the data requirements become. If you cut the size of a cell in half, that doesn't double the number of cells, it quadruples them. And this scale continues multiplicatively. That means a normal unit which is 70px by 70px if taken at the pixel level is almost 5000 times as much data. This being said, we are looking to improve upon the system to better optimize and provide better quality of life for players and GMs. Lee B. said: I am a bit new to the platform in comparison to other users, so feel free to correct my ignorance, but I noticed the Advanced Fog of War did not work correctly while using Global Illumination as lighting. If my characters saw a rock 100 feet away using Global Illumination as the light source, but then went behind a tree it would not show the rock, and only things that were within 15 feet of the token. If I make them a light source it will show anything within the light sources range. Also when I dropped a token that emits light into a new map it would automatically have Advanced fog of War vision of the area within the lights range, regardless of the fact that they have never seen those parts, but if I remove the light they emit then reset the fog and give the emitting light back it works correctly. I hope this posts makes sense. Feel free for me to clearify. Is the rock in question a part of the map layer, or was it a token that is on the token layer?

Edited 1509460603
Hi, I'm encountering a problem with AFoW together with Dynamic Lighting and Global Illumination. As pictures speak more than my words can, let's have a look at Bob. The setup from my view as a GM (Global Illumination turned off here, to show the line of sight). The Red square around the fountain is also represented on the dynamic lighting layer. This is Bob's view (Ctrl + L, or rejoin as a Player, gives the same view). Again, global illumination is turned off, as we can see with Bob's light source. Now here's the problem. If I turn on Global illumination and check Bob's view again (doesn't matter if re-join as player or Ctrl+L) the advanced fog of war gets lifted, completely ignoring line of sight. No matter the lighting conditions Bob should never be able to see the fountain in the middle. I tried longer than I'd like to admit to find some settings on how to bypass this issue, but couldn't come up with a solution. Yes I could just place a bunch of light sources in the room and turn global illumination off, but with more complex maps and line of sight situations, toggling between day and night gets really tedious :-/ Maybe I'm still doing something wrong, I don't know. Here are Bob's and the page's setting for the screenshots you've seen. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! /K Edit: I tried this in several campaigns and on several pages, it doesn't matter. I always end up lifting the fog of war ignoring line of sight.
I know it's probably not the answer you want, but I've gotten around issues like this using lighting objects. I create transparent images / tokens that emit light to like 1000 feet and place them in the daylight areas of my maps. I do this so I can let outside light creep into cave entrances, etc. It could work with this as well potentially. Though I am completely agreeing that this is probably a bug and should be resolved. Just hoping to help you potentially resolve this if you have a game coming up.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Has 'Bob' seen the area prior to testing? If so you'll need to reset the AFoW first otherwise he'll always be able to see it, I don't believe that Ctrl+L honours AFoW so that will show the expected result.
Hi&nbsp; Karankwan , Since every square is essentially "revealed" when using global illumination it would show up as such when checking player view. Have you tried resetting the Fog of War? Alternatively, you can use the tool to hide fog of war as well. Let me know how it works, thank you! :)
Jeremy R. said: I know it's probably not the answer you want, but I've gotten around issues like this using lighting objects. I create transparent images / tokens that emit light to like 1000 feet and place them in the daylight areas of my maps. I do this so I can let outside light creep into cave entrances, etc. It could work with this as well potentially. Though I am completely agreeing that this is probably a bug and should be resolved. Just hoping to help you potentially resolve this if you have a game coming up. Yeah, this seems the only viable option for now I'm afraid. It's just a bit cumbersome if characters are spending more time on a certain map and get to experience a day and night cycle. Ziechael said: Has 'Bob' seen the area prior to testing? If so you'll need to reset the AFoW first otherwise he'll always be able to see it, I don't believe that Ctrl+L honours AFoW so that will show the expected result. Nope. Bob hasn't moved at all. And I refreshed the Fog of War before I took the series of screen shots. But even if he would've taken a stroll around the fountain, the area within the rectangle should never be revealed to him. I suspect you are right with the Ctrl+L thing, but I always tested this with re-join as a Player, too, giving the same results unfortunately. I will try later with an actual non-GM account joining, but I don't have high hopes for that. Drespar said: Hi&nbsp; Karankwan , Since every square is essentially "revealed" when using global illumination it would show up as such when checking player view. Have you tried resetting the Fog of War? Alternatively, you can use the tool to hide fog of war as well. Let me know how it works, thank you! :) I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. I understand that global illumination reveals every square on the map, but as long as I have "Enforce Line of Sight" still checked it should not show the fountain, right? This is what I get, if I turn AFoW off and just have global illumination. It reveals all squares according to line of sight. I tried resetting the fog of war several times. It will work "correctly" when I do it in the Ctrl+L view, but as soon as I click somewhere else to get out of Player perspective and re-check the player's perspective it looks as shown above, simply revealing according to the light settings ignoring line of sight. /K
I agree sounds like a big, but until it is fixed one way to handle turning daylight on and off is to put invisible tokens on the map that correspond to a new character and emit light that others can’t see, then give all players control of that character during the day, and remove it at night.&nbsp;
Karankwan , looking further into it, it looks like this issue is specific to the GM. I was able to reproduce the issue consistently with Global Illumination activated, as well as re-joining as player. However, when adding in a second account to the mix they did not see within the square. So it is possible some data is being carried over when re-joining as well at Ctrl+L. I have created a ticket for the devs to investigate further. If you have the chance to test with a second account I highly recommend doing so for the peace of mind. If it turns out that they can also see within the square let us know. Thanks! :)
Tried AFoW first time today, without Dynamic Lighting due to the warning about the lag. We were still so badly lagged none of us could even move a token, so we gave up. While it was on I noticed a few revealed areas where no tokens were present at all. I love this feature, hope it will work correctly eventually.
Drespar said: Karankwan , looking further into it, it looks like this issue is specific to the GM. I was able to reproduce the issue consistently with Global Illumination activated, as well as re-joining as player. However, when adding in a second account to the mix they did not see within the square. So it is possible some data is being carried over when re-joining as well at Ctrl+L. I have created a ticket for the devs to investigate further. If you have the chance to test with a second account I highly recommend doing so for the peace of mind. If it turns out that they can also see within the square let us know. Thanks! :) I could check it with a second account last night. It works fine for the players, which is the most important thing (for me at least, as I was worried for the players to discover some spoilers). Thanks for investigating Drespar! /K
Not sure if this is helpful, but I get a lot of lag as GM with advanced fog of war enabled when trying to move the camera while i'm on the object layer, but none when I'm in the GM layer.
Skates said: Not sure if this is helpful, but I get a lot of lag as GM with advanced fog of war enabled when trying to move the camera while i'm on the object layer, but none when I'm in the GM layer. Interesting behavior. I will query the devs as to why this might be, or if it is perhaps only on your local system. If you are able, a video showcasing this behavior would be very helpful as would a console log. If you do capture a video, you can email us a link to it at <a href="mailto:Team@Roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@Roll20.net</a> If others are experiencing this behavior, let us know!
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Any news on the issue with dynamic lighting feathering?
Karankwan said: Hi, I'm encountering a problem with AFoW together with Dynamic Lighting and Global Illumination. As pictures speak more than my words can, let's have a look at Bob. I can confirm I'm also having this issue, pretty much. Global illumination seems to assume the player has seen the entire map with AFoW enabled, no matter how many times I reset the fog of war or hide areas. It's really problematic.

Edited 1509810389
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Stephen L. said: Any news on the issue with dynamic lighting feathering? Are you still seeing past walls in the same game (The picture you showed before)? If so, was the map aligned to the grid to ensure the center point of the squares were not somewhere they are not supposed to be?
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Drespar said: Stephen L. said: Any news on the issue with dynamic lighting feathering? Are you still seeing past walls in the same game (The picture you showed before)? If so, was the map aligned to the grid to ensure the center point of the squares were not somewhere they are not supposed to be? Yes, still seeing the same issue as the picture I showed before. The map is not aligned to the grid, but the dynamic lighting walls are arranged to the map. So, I suppose this is only supposed to work with maps that strictly use maps aligned to a square grid with all walls at right angles to each other?

Edited 1509896455
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Stephen L. said: Drespar said: Stephen L. said: Any news on the issue with dynamic lighting feathering? Are you still seeing past walls in the same game (The picture you showed before)? If so, was the map aligned to the grid to ensure the center point of the squares were not somewhere they are not supposed to be? Yes, still seeing the same issue as the picture I showed before. The map is not aligned to the grid, but the dynamic lighting walls are arranged to the map. So, I suppose this is only supposed to work with maps that strictly use maps aligned to a square grid with all walls at right angles to each other? Due to the how Advanced Fog of War is designed- where the center pixel of the overarching grid reveals the entire cell- making sure maps are aligned to grid is the best way to make sure your Dynamic Lighting lines behave accordingly (as most maps have a quadratic style to it). We are of course looking into ways to improve Advanced Fog of War for maps that do not only have right angle walls as you stated.
I am having an issue with Advanced Fog of War where the reveal on dim is not working. I want players with darkvision to be able to reveal the fog of with darkvision. Instead what is seen is the square the token is on is revealed but not the area that the player could see. The tokens emit is set to 60/-5 to give a dim fov. Is there a way to get this to reveal on dim? &nbsp;
<a href="https://imgur.com/a/B9B2y" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/B9B2y</a> Weird bug with dynamic lighting. Explanation in album. Things I've tried/checked: Sight/DL settings correct DL lines placed Token selected (both with ctrl+L and rejoining as player) Same with multiple tokens Doesn't apply to other map with same settings Hardware acceleration not on cache cleared

Edited 1510077239
Seems to be a slight wobbly with how the FoW is calculated as revealed. I noticed it seemed to uncover more up than it did down. In this example I have picked up Iona and placed her in dark space then moved her away again. She has 20ft radius with 10ft of bright light and 10ft FoW vision, but it seems to be rounding up/down squares oddly. Edit: Forgot to state, changing the Bright Light to 11-14ft does resolve this, I just thought I would note it. &nbsp;
Narrator said: Seems to be a slight wobbly with how the FoW is calculated as revealed. I noticed it seemed to uncover more up than it did down. In this example I have picked up Iona and placed her in dark space then moved her away again. She has 20ft radius with 10ft of bright light and 10ft FoW vision, but it seems to be rounding up/down squares oddly. Edit: Forgot to state, changing the Bright Light to 11-14ft does resolve this, I just thought I would note it. &nbsp; Thank you Narrator! I have entered in a ticket to give to the devs :)
If I turn on Advanced Fog of War but not Dynamic Lighting my game freezes up and the map will never load with a token on it that has light. I have to promote a player to fix the map for me due to this issue as whenever I attempt to re-load the campaign it just freezes immediately.
Paul M. said: If I turn on Advanced Fog of War but not Dynamic Lighting my game freezes up and the map will never load with a token on it that has light. I have to promote a player to fix the map for me due to this issue as whenever I attempt to re-load the campaign it just freezes immediately. This is a known issue, and we should have a fix going live soon. In the meantime we recommend that you avoid using Advanced Fog of War on its own until the fix goes live.
Advanced Fog of War was off when I entered my game now and I could not turn it on again. What's going on?
Grimtina said: Advanced Fog of War was off when I entered my game now and I could not turn it on again. What's going on? We just pushed out a minor performance and bugfix patch for the AFoW today, but that shouldn't have affected your ability to enable it or disable it.&nbsp; What is occurring when you try to tick "Enable Advanced Fog of War" in the page settings?
How is the performance on advanced fog of war going? Do you have any more plans to update this in the future or is it complete at the current state? I attempted to use it recently in a game of myself and 5 other players and made the game extremely laggy. This was on the Redbrand hideout of the starter set, whose map was automatically updated to incorporate advanced fog of war. I have an extremely high-end PC with excellent internet connection and this seems to work fine when I am all lone but lags the game massively the moment a few players join, this has not changed since the first release. In the future, do you plan to allow us a choice to exclude updates that change the advanced fog of war setting of purchased modules?
Brother Sharp said: How is the performance on advanced fog of war going? Do you have any more plans to update this in the future or is it complete at the current state? I attempted to use it recently in a game of myself and 5 other players and made the game extremely laggy. This was on the Redbrand hideout of the starter set, whose map was automatically updated to incorporate advanced fog of war. I have an extremely high-end PC with excellent internet connection and this seems to work fine when I am all lone but lags the game massively the moment a few players join, this has not changed since the first release. In the future, do you plan to allow us a choice to exclude updates that change the advanced fog of war setting of purchased modules? Have you tried disabling the built in voice and video capabilities? Also, have you removed sight from all of the NPCs (I still have no clue why there's not an option to not do AFoW for non player tokens). I have found these two things make this playable.
Brother Sharp said: How is the performance on advanced fog of war going? Do you have any more plans to update this in the future or is it complete at the current state? I attempted to use it recently in a game of myself and 5 other players and made the game extremely laggy. This was on the Redbrand hideout of the starter set, whose map was automatically updated to incorporate advanced fog of war. I have an extremely high-end PC with excellent internet connection and this seems to work fine when I am all lone but lags the game massively the moment a few players join, this has not changed since the first release. In the future, do you plan to allow us a choice to exclude updates that change the advanced fog of war setting of purchased modules? As Jeremy stated, does this continue if you manually disable the Video/Voice settings (at least if you are using Chrome)? The fact that the issue really starts to show up when people join leads me to believe it is related to the&nbsp; recent issue with chrome and our current WebRTC library .
We were all using the latest version of firefox, I don't think webRTC has anything to do with it. I have removed all non-relevant tokens however the overall lag caused by advanced fog of war is still unbearable. Don't get me wrong, it is well playable because there is lag but not freeze (it is still something that anyone should not have to deal with), but anyone with a slightly lower-end machine than me is rendered unable to enjoy the benefits of advanced fog of war but this does not mean it should remain in this state.
We have been having this problem for a few weeks now but here is the thing we don't us roll20's video or voice system, we never have. it's been turned off since the first game so its not WebRTC. Also chrome works perfectly on maps that don't have AFoW or dynamic lighting on them, so that means those are the problem.
I have a player that was seeing areas blocked by dynamic lighting barriers, but it looks like they were getting an AFoW reveal rather than the full view. I reset the AFoW, and that fixed the problem until they scrolled around or re-sized the map, which revealed more areas (permanently, not just in a laggy way). Here's what they saw on first look - the patches of fog in no way mach my lighting lines. But it did get better. &nbsp; This at least matches what's drawn, but is still revealing rooms to the left and right (they hadn't moved around the room at all). An AFoW reset fixed it Until they zoomed in the merest fraction... This happened on multiple maps, but I think it was only the one player. They're running Chrome on a Mac with the latest OS updates.
Hi Dr. Bubba, Sorry to hear you are having issues! A few questions for you here: 1) What are your settings for the page? - Does this persist if you turn off "Dim Light Reveals"? - What about "Update on Drop"? &nbsp; &nbsp;- Possible &nbsp;cause here might be, that when they are moving their token, since they are revealing areas as they go , when they drop their token, the path from point A to B is causing it to cut corners. The token will reveal in transit, so if it passes through walls &nbsp;to get there, it will reveal behind the walls. 2) Does your player notice that the distance they can see is dependent upon their "Zoom" in game? - To test this, get together with the player on a blank map with Dynamic Lighting enabled, and have them zoom in and out and see if it seems like the distance they can see is changing with the zoom.