Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War

Dungeon Master said: Can anybody tell me what the object limit is on a map to use Advanced Fog of War?  I was super excited to start using it after watching some of the tutorials, but when I clicked in on it told me - straight up - I have too many objects on the map to even turn AFOG on. Now, admittedly, I run huge, awesome maps, but I don' think I'm breaking any records in terms of the number of objects/tokens on them. Mostly just really big backround maps blown up to cover huge outdoor terrains.  But I'd love to use AFOG. Does anybody have a sense of what the limits are, or if they will somehow be raised. It's an awesome feature. I really want to use it! Could you provide a screenshot or a copy of the exact error so our devs can have a look? Thank you!

Edited 1528689308
The number of units is too great to work with the Advanced Fog of War. Do you wish to continue without Advanced Fog of War? I just got the same message. Upon further testing, though, I believe it has to do with the size of the page and not the contents.
Is Advanced Fog of War something that is still being optimized and worked on? The difference between having it on and off, is the difference between smooth and laggy for me currently. It's a nice feature but in it's current state I don't think it's viable to implement if you have people in your group with different connection qualities.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Jip said: Is Advanced Fog of War something that is still being optimized and worked on? The difference between having it on and off, is the difference between smooth and laggy for me currently. It's a nice feature but in it's current state I don't think it's viable to implement if you have people in your group with different connection qualities. We're absolutely working on improving the performance of the Advanced Fog of War. There are some technical limitations on what technologies we can make use of inside a browser and how we can implement Advanced Fog that we're working through to find options that will work for more users.
Awesome, love the dedication! 
Hiya, I've just discovered that advanced fog of war in the Tomb of Annihilation module was causing such a horrible lag as to make the game unplayable for me as GM. I would suggest not having it preset as 'on' until the lag issues are fixed, because I didn't even know that it was on until I started trying to find out what was causing the lag.
Hello, I would like to first say that this was working before last week but now with AFoW and FoW; PC can't see where they have been nor can I reveal areas.  This is most important on the world map page I have.  It doesn't have any dynamic lighting to block their view...I want them to see where they have been but I don't want to show the entire map either.  Any solution would be great.  I have tried this on Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and FireFox.
Hi Moonstone, What is the name of the game you are seeing this issue in? Does it persist if you create a new game using the same setup?
yes, it does but we have been working on it all day and just a few minutes found out it has to do with the Dynamic Lighting setting...I didn't know about and tried it out and liked it but didn't realize it doesn't allow for remembering....turning it off allows for the PC to remember where they were but having it on doesn't for some reason....which I consider a bit of a problem especially since when it is off the lightning is square and not circular along with a few other features I like having with it....but it is what it is for now.
Turns out I'm having a similar issue to Moonstone with Advanced Fog of War not working. Tokens cannot see previously seen areas as grayed out like they should be able to, no matter how I mess with the settings. Any help on this would be super appreciated, as I really would like to continue to use this feature.
you have to turn off Dynamic lighting on the page settings to make it work completely sorry....the way they have it set up right now it just doesn't work for remembering where they have been....and as of right now it is the only workaround I have found.
I can attest to @Miles that the Tomb of Annihilation module is nigh unplayable due to fog of war/dynamic lightning issues.  Not only for me as GM but also for the players.
I figured I'd give it a day to see if the issue with the Advanced Fog of War not remembering where PCs have been would fix itself, but sadly it seems like it has not. Like Moonstone said, turning off Dynamic Lighting makes it work, but that isn't really a "fix" since I'm trying to have both of those work at the same time, like they're supposed to. I'm not sure if this is in any way also because of the Firebase connection issues that Roll20 has been having, but if it is, I'd really appreciate knowing. If it isn't, then if there is any way I can fix this problem and have Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War work together again, I'd like to hear it. Also, in case it helps, this issue with Advanced Fog of War and Dynamic Lighting not working together is happening in all my Campaigns, not just one.

Edited 1535489457
I'm experiencing a similar problem: When I have Fog of War and Dynamic Lighting turned on. Tokens with their View Distance set do NOT reveal areas on the map that are fogged and not within a light source (i.e., an object configured to emit light on the map layer). If I turn off Dynamic Lighting, Advanced Fog of War works, revealing areas on the map that are fogged out and remembering areas that tokens have passed through. My specs and screenshots below: I have cleared my cache, disabled all extensions and add-ons, used a difference browser. I have restarted the hardware acceleration, etc. Operating System Windows 10 (64-bit) Screen Resolution 1680 x 1050 Web Browser Chrome 68.0.3440.106 Web Browser Size 1680 x 913 IP Address Color Depth 24 bit Javascript Enabled Macromedia Flash Version Not Installed Cookies Enabled My Anti-Virus Software is: McAfee Agent   Version number: 5.0.6.220  Status: Managed  SuperAgent: Peer to Peer  These are my page settings: These are the Token Settings: This is the result. As you can see, the Token is in a dark area, with AFoW turned on, yet nothing is revealed, although the token can see surrounding light sources: NOTE THAT, the areas circled in red seem to be fog of war reveals, but it is useless since, the rest of the area is still obscured around the token. It seems like AFoW is only revealing areas in light and skipping over areas defined as dark by Dynamic Lighting. Am I doing something wrong? Is this intentional? I hope, this changes ... it makes AFoW useless b/c areas not covered in light sources cannot be revealed! Thanks! BD

Edited 1535651037
You need to make sure the token itself emits light...I generally have my tokens set to 30 ft with dim at 15 ft (especially for PC tokens) also you don't need all players see the light checked Brent D. said:

Edited 1536497095
Hello, I'm having a rather unusual issue. One of my players, and only one, keeps getting his game broken by Advanced Fog of War. For the first three minutes it's fine, but after that you can see the issue below in this screenshot. Random sections are greyed out, and the map is only 1/3 as wide as it should be. Also, his token is invisible. I've taken another screenshot after the fact from my perspective, using the "see what this token sees" feature. (Ctrl-L) Nothing's cut off, and the dynamic lighting functions as expected. We've tested this in small maps (25x25) so we know it's not map size, and also it breaks when Dynamic Lighting is off  while Advanced FOW is on,  so we know that's not it either. Any assistance in this issue would be greatly appreciated. We're willing to provide extra information if necessary. I don't want to have this feature turned off just because of one player. Thanks for reading. EDIT: We tried a new browser and it breaks on Chrome, and works on Internet Explorer. So we've found a workaround but I'm sure there's still something that can be learned from this.

Edited 1536896242
As quite a few people here, I cannot seem to get AFoW working with Dynamic Lighting. AFoW by itself seem to work fine, however if I activate dynamic lighting previously explored area go balck as soon as they are out of LoS. There is no slowdown, computer is not lagging. Using Chrome. I have followed the various suggestions in this thread (starting a new page, starting a new game, making sure that the token sees/emits light, no global illumination, etc), to no avail.
Hi Thibault, Could you provide a few screenshots of your page and token settings as well as what you are seeing?

Edited 1536958223
I'm now on a different computer (work computer), but still Chrome, and everything works as intended. I will edit this post tonight if things still don't work on the original computer. Update: Things still don't work on Chrome on my personal computer, however they work with Microsoft Edge. Are there chrome specific settings that need to be enabled or something? Screenshots:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported Elsewhere : Eric W.  said: I am having an issue that just recently appeared, I have been play this same campaign for awhile now and the issue first happened tonight.  the advanced fog of war for my character seems to have issues loading properly. It takes awhile for it to adjust where my token is at and it moves as the scroll bars move. The only noticeable change I know of is that my chrome updated at some point. Other then that my tokens are the same they were a couple weeks ago we played, and we are on the same map. Any advice would be great!
Hi Eric, Would it be possible to provide screenshots or a video/animated gif of what it is you are seeing? Additionally, does this seem to happen in any game or is it only a singular game?
Evening Drespar, As of this time i am only in one campaign. This pic is what I should be seeing, when I first loaded the game I had no vision, just the fog of war around my token. If i scroll down the fog of war moves with the scroll. And my DM has reveal on drop, so i should see up and down those tunnels. All the other players can see just fine and when my DM does the "CTRL L" on my token he sees everything as it should be.

Edited 1539265182
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported elsewhere : (User has tried re-setting Fog of War) PadRpg  said: Hi everybody, I try to use the Advanced Fog of War for my maps but I think something is wrong and I can't find what. Here's what I've got: The map Here's the dynamic light draw (all the torchs emit light) Here's the config of the page and token And here's the result Some parts of the map remain black despite the movement and sight of the token. Is that OK? Do I miss something? Thanks for your help.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Probably it is because the center point of the AFoW square is being blocked by DL lines. If the token can't see the center point, the square doesn't get AFoW revealed. (Thanks Sky!)
PadRpg
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks keithcurtis :) Aaron, when I move the token (as you can see in the gif), I move in the dark part and when I move away, these parts go back to dark.
PadRpg said: when I move the token (as you can see in the gif), I move in the dark part and when I move away, these parts go back to dark. PadRpg you have your token using dim light (darkvision) and advance fog of war set to reveal with bright light, if you want dim light (darkvision) to reveal the map setting you need to click box to allow dim light to reveal
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported Elsewhere : Jennifer L.  said: So today's game started out kind of a train wreck. My DM has been using Advanced Fog of War, and while it was working fine in the last session, when I opened it today, it was kind of a mess. It was like the explored, grayed out space was an overlay over both the monster we were fighting, and my party. It looked correct for the rest of the party though. What I was seeing   What everyone else was seeing My DM tried to fix it, and while it sort of seemed right, any time I scrolled, it messed up my sight.  We took a video of the issue. Ultimately, we couldn't fix it, and had to just turn off FoW for the map. Since it worked for me in the last game, I'm hoping it will be functioning again next week, but figured it was worth reporting. Edit: I did try refreshing the page, as well as closing out entirely, and then launching the game again. No luck.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Reported Elsewhere : SpacemanSpoof  said: This is getting super frustrating... I'm trying to set up a map with restricted visibility (dark, foggy area) by giving the players a small radius of dim light only. That much works.  But when I try to add Advanced Fog of War so that the players can at least see the parts of the map that they've explored, the behavior is not at all what I'd expect.  It should clear the fog in an area equal to the dim light radius, right? But all that gets cleared are the squares the token moves through.  Note the one-square-wide trail in the screenshot below.  I've tried tweaking the settings in all kinds of different ways, but nothing works except giving them bright light, which kinda ruins the atmosphere.  Is this a bug in the AFoW engine, or am I doing something wrong?
Hi SpacemanSpoof, Sorry for the delayed response on this-- Could you try setting the cut off (0 in your second picture) to 1 or 5 and let me know what happens for you?

Edited 1547426250
I have the same issue as @SpacemanSpoof.  I'm using the token light settings to approximate D&D 5E darkvision with the radius set at 70 and -5 respectively. This does indeed create a 60' radius of dim light for this token. But it doesn't reveal any of the map.  If I set the cutoff to 1 I get the same result as SpacemanSpoof.  With the radius set at -5 none of the map is ever revealed. EDIT: I discovered that if my darkvision-enabled character walks through a room that already has a dim light source, that the light sources seem to combine and get bright enough to reveal the map.  Maybe there's some way to set the threshold of "dimness" so that the map will be revealed by dim light.... SECOND EDIT: I experimented with this some more and it appears that "Dim light reveals" does work but only if you are logged in as a player.  The CTRL-L trick to see what the player sees doesn't seem to include their specific view of the revealed fog. Maybe you could document this to make it more clear to users.
Apologies, I totally forgot about this after we finished with the map in question.  Thanks for the clarification Sean - would be nice if the GM view matched the player view.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, everyone! Advanced Fog of War has undergone a major update, and has a new feedback thread. Please post future feedback here . I'll be closing this thread to direct traffic over there.