Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War

[Someone will have to tell me how to take tight perfect screenshots and post them, as that might make this more clear, but is beyond me for now.] I am still having the problem reported by Rob and others above: namely, that the Advanced Fog of War is revealing (in a "grayed out" way) areas of the map that the players have not reached or seen yet.  Oddly, it is doing this for some, but not all of the players...and a  few see different "hidden" areas.  Resetting the fog does not fix the problem, nor can the revealed areas be hidden with the FoW tools. Regular Fog of War isn't solving the problem. I have Dynamic Lighting on, and I have noticed that the revealed areas tend to be ones with light sources.  My suspicion is that it's areas of bright light are being revealed despite the area otherwise being hidden from the view of the players in their current locations by being out of their line of sight.  When I remove every light source, and then reset the fog, the problem goes away.  The effect doesn't exactly track the radius of the lights, but it does seem the lights are causing the problem.
Hey Drespar, Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to reproduce the problem for myself. I got various random reveals (AFoW only), mostly from zooming in and out. For my purposes, I'm just not going to bother with fog anymore, but for your purposes, here's the page settings: AFoW on, grid not shown, no dim reveals Dynamic lighting and line of sight The problem persisted with or without update on drop (I started with it on) and restricted movement. Let me know if I can do anything else to help
Hey guys, heres a couple  more Bugs for the  Fire: the only way i have been able to get the Advanced Fog of war to work, is by turning off Dim light (deleting the number completely, not even a 0 will work) on the character tokens. and only have the base light show. Also i have too turn off   "Dim light Reveals".  or it again doesn't record properly.    Also i get times where, random areas will be revealed (completely closed off areas outside of sight range)  and then those areas wont turn off properly.  nor will they reset. o.0 Also the fog layer, will move when i move the character... very creepy...   
okay, it also wont work on certain maps this way at all either.  i have a 71x60 map, that refuses to record the advanced Fog layer. as if its not even on to begin with.  :(  
Greetings all, I noticed this glitch and, after a few permutations in Google, found this thread.  I have a screen-cap that might  help the Dev team narrow down the problem?  In any case, here's what I've got. It seems that AFoW doesn't scale when you zoom in/out on the map.  Below are side-by-side screen shots from a player's perspective of a map which I have manually revealed portions of, and other areas have been revealed by the players moving the party token (which reveals one cell at a time) around the map.  The image on the left is 100% zoom, and looks the way I would expect it to look.  The image on the right is at 90% zoom. You'll notice that the revealed areas line up perfectly, even though the map has been reduced in size by 10%.  Hopefully that makes sense, and guides the development folks toward a solution.  If it matters, I'm using Chrome and my settings are thus:

Edited 1518299359
I have the same problem as Kevin k.  Shadow layer that the Advanced fog is on, is also offset.  and doesnt  scale to match the map.  
Update on Fog of war.    If i don't use "reset fog" option. and simply turn Advanced fog of war on and off.   the Fog layer matches the players.  but the lag increases significantly.  also this is using the Ctrl+L feature. since i don't have players  to help test atm. 
Urk, try creating a second R20 account, add yourself as a player, and then test again. In my experiences most of these zoom and 'random reveal' issues are GM specific and don't affect the players.
I think some of this is due to NPCs revealing areas. I have,about 6 times asked for NPCs not assigned to players to not contribute to the calculation of AFoW, and never gotten a response. I've since had to use token tool to create a script I run on every single NPC on a map, that removes their sight completely. Not what I want, but it's the only way I could get around some of the performance hits as well when you have a lot of NPCs with sight.
Hey, Haven't played for a while but I've started having issues with the advanced fog of war last session that we played. It seems that when moving from one room to the next, the room stays blacked out and doesn't go to the normal dark grey unless i just grab a token and wave it about the map. Even then some areas still will not show. Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?? Example: I would expect the top area of the map to stay visible but grayed out in this situation, but it doesn't Settings:
Managed to solve my own problem luckily. It seems the conflict with chrome is still a thing from a couple of months ago, luckily I only use this locally so I just set chat tech to None and the fog of war now works as expected.
Satheian . said: Urk, try creating a second R20 account, add yourself as a player, and then test again. In my experiences most of these zoom and 'random reveal' issues are GM specific and don't affect the players. To be clear, the screen shots I provided were from a player's perspective, not the view of the GM.

Edited 1518579610
Kevin, do you mean an actual player log in? Because using the "Rejoin as player" feature from a GM log in account does not calculate AFOG properly, as is discussed earlier in this thread.
The Advanced Fog Of War does not work correctly for me. When I pick up and drop a token just a few cells sometimes all the hidden areas get revealed for that particular token (CTRL+L). Even when I reset the fog, and then I try again, sometimes it works and a few clicks later all the areas all revealed again. The areas revealed are just the area's between the Dynamic Lighting lines that are actually usable by the tokens (so not the wall areas themselves).
Oh I think I made a mistake with the "torch" tokens so I don't think it's a bug at all. I have several token torches in those rooms
No, it's still buggy even when I moved the torch tokens to the Map layer. Sorry for multiple posts...
Satheian . said: Kevin, do you mean an actual player log in? Yes.
Maarten v. said: The Advanced Fog Of War does not work correctly for me... In your screen capture, I can see that you have the ability to resize the token, which means you're the GM for the game.  I noticed some time ago that when you're a GM, something about AFoW causes you to be able to see areas you shouldn't.  To be sure this is a real problem, do what Satheian suggested: make a second account, and add it as a player to your game.  Log into that account and see if the problem persists.  If you're using a browser that has private/incognito mode, it can be helpful to open a window in that mode to log in so that you don't need to log out of your GM account.  I'm willing to bet that this should clear it up.
I can't seem to find someone with the same problem as me, but here It is: First, the radius of the advanced fog of war isn't a radius at all, but it's a square. From the videos, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be circular. The same issue happens when it's working with DL. It shouldn't be this way I think.
Book Brat said: I can't seem to find someone with the same problem as me, but here It is: First, the radius of the advanced fog of war isn't a radius at all, but it's a square. From the videos, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be circular. The same issue happens when it's working with DL. It shouldn't be this way I think. Square reveal is intended. Many users, including me have tried to suggest R20 otherwise but we got ignored and/or banned. Right now Advanced Fog of War is a discontinued product as it has already served the purpose of advertising the previous "major update" so I would recommend against using it in your games.
Book Brat said: I can't seem to find someone with the same problem as me, but here It is: First, the radius of the advanced fog of war isn't a radius at all, but it's a square. From the videos, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be circular. The same issue happens when it's working with DL. It shouldn't be this way I think. What is the name of one of the games you are having this issue in?
Hi all. I've run into an oddity with AFoW with the 'only update when dropped' setting disabled.I prefer it disabled because I think it's a pretty cool effect as you drag it around, but I've discovered that it still only updates the GM's view of what the token uncovers on drop. This issue can be slightly mitigated with 'blocking movement', but it would still persist. Here's a quick clip showing off what I mean, link below: Notice how the player (bottom) can see the 'secret' text while the GM still thinks it's covered. On the second move, I drop the token, and the GM can then see the small area that is uncovered there. It's not hugely game-breaking, but a nefarious player could 'cheat' a bit that way. Additionally, CTRL+L on the token as the GM doesn't update it either, it only toggles what it thinks it had seen. AFoW Reveal discrepancy clip

Edited 1520569810
I'm utterly disappointed in Roll20 and probably playing my last game on this platform. Playing Curse of Strahd and during recent events, my players have been able to see through many walls and pass through them without issue. Worse yet, this happened during the final phases of the game when they were in the catacombs of Ravenloft. This has basically ruined the game as they are able to see into all the areas they weren't supposed to see. Unfortunately, I cannot see an easy way (mid game) to switch back to basic FoW. Very disappointing, Roll20 - especially given the loads of cash I've shelled into this game. Please fix this asap so I can end it with some semblance of success.
Braxwulf said: I'm utterly disappointed in Roll20 and probably playing my last game on this platform. Playing Curse of Strahd and during recent events, my players have been able to see through many walls and pass through them without issue. Worse yet, this happened during the final phases of the game when they were in the catacombs of Ravenloft. This has basically ruined the game as they are able to see into all the areas they weren't supposed to see. Unfortunately, I cannot see an easy way (mid game) to switch back to basic FoW. Very disappointing, Roll20 - especially given the loads of cash I've shelled into this game. Please fix this asap so I can end it with some semblance of success. Do you have restrict movement set for dynamic lighting?
Braxwulf said: I'm utterly disappointed in Roll20 and probably playing my last game on this platform. Playing Curse of Strahd and during recent events, my players have been able to see through many walls and pass through them without issue. Worse yet, this happened during the final phases of the game when they were in the catacombs of Ravenloft. This has basically ruined the game as they are able to see into all the areas they weren't supposed to see. Unfortunately, I cannot see an easy way (mid game) to switch back to basic FoW. Very disappointing, Roll20 - especially given the loads of cash I've shelled into this game. Please fix this asap so I can end it with some semblance of success. Hi Braxwulf, Was this on any map in particular, or was has it been something consistent in all CoS maps? Some workarounds as to how to avoid this is as Jeremy mentioned, restricting movement via Dynamic Lighting. Additionally, setting it to "Update on Drop" will further disallow unexpected movement.

Edited 1520654723
Jeremy:  Yes, restrict movement is on Drespar:  This was on several maps including both Amber Temple maps as well as at least the catacombs of Ravenloft. I haven't used this outside of Strahd so I don't know.  It worked well early on.  Also, update on drop does stop them from being able to map out the room (cheating) while dragging their icon all over the place, but doesn't fix this issue.  They can still blow past all the barriers. I'm happy to invite devs to my game so you can see it first hand.
Braxwulf said: Jeremy:&nbsp; Yes, restrict movement is on Drespar:&nbsp; This was on several maps including both Amber Temple maps as well as at least the catacombs of Ravenloft. I haven't used this outside of Strahd so I don't know.&nbsp; It worked well early on.&nbsp; Also, update on drop does stop them from being able to map out the room (cheating) while dragging their icon all over the place, but doesn't fix this issue.&nbsp; They can still blow past all the barriers. I'm happy to invite devs to my game so you can see it first hand. I am seeing some odd behavior for sure in the catacombs. Was your CoS game that you are currently using a Copy of a different, earlier, CoS game? The issue seems to be something that was diagnosed close to release similar to here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5191705/curse-of" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5191705/curse-of</a>... Is this the behavior that you noticed elsewhere? If so, this is likely a combination of issues where your current game was not able to be patched (which resolved this issue) because it is a copy and did not receive the correct flag to receive patches (which was resolved just recently). If all of this sounds about right, then please email us at <a href="mailto:Team@Roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@Roll20.net</a> and I should be able to get a dev to set up the correct flags on your game where you should be able to patch :)

Edited 1520791082
Hello. I'd like to apologise if this is the wrong thread to post my question in but, I've never used the roll20 forums before. I've been having some issues with my Advanced Darkness and limiting fields of view in the Tomb of Annihilation module. I've read in tutorials that supposidly I'm meant to be able to limit my players vision to feet. But despite putting in the number in the "Advanced fog of war" option my players are capable of seeing endlessly forward aslong as no wall obstructs their vision. I have advanced Fog of war enabled on the map, the players can't see anything when their tokens doesn't have sight. But a soon as I check the "Has Sight" button. They can see the entire map provided there's no walls in the way. Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue? - Regards Will.
Will, have you setup barriers and light sources?
Ben C. said: Managed to solve my own problem luckily. It seems the conflict with chrome is still a thing from a couple of months ago, luckily I only use this locally so I just set chat tech to None and the fog of war now works as expected. Thanks Ben. I was experiencing the same problem you described. On changing Chat Tech to "None," my problem went away too.

Edited 1521600461
So I just updated my Curse of Strahd game and I was testing it with Ctrl-L and the characters I'm selecting can still see right into certain rooms.. &nbsp;Not sure what to do next. &nbsp;You can see from the screenshot that the owl can see into tombs that should be blocked out. &nbsp;Perhaps these are areas that they were previously able to view (when it was broken) and now they can see it? &nbsp;Doesn't look greyed out though.. &nbsp;This is Ravenloft Map 12 by the way. While we are on the subject how to I "re-hide" the areas they could illegally see before?
So my game is tomorrow night.. Sorry post again, but is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug? &nbsp;I have 7 players and if they see this messed up again tomorrow night for the third week in a row, they probably won't try Roll20 ever again.

Edited 1521722691
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Braxwulf said: So my game is tomorrow night.. Sorry post again, but is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug? &nbsp;I have 7 players and if they see this messed up again tomorrow night for the third week in a row, they probably won't try Roll20 ever again. I'll be sure to flag your issue as it may require a future patch to rectify. It looks to me like the DL was done via some copy/pasting, rotating and resizing etc which can cause conflict. I'd recommend going to the DL layer and removing the offending ones and re-adding them manually to ensure correct placement (apologies for the extra effort required!). As for hiding the incorrect seen areas, there is an option to&nbsp; reset the aFoW in the left hand menu.

Edited 1521724855
Jeff L.
Roll20 Team
Braxwulf said: So my game is tomorrow night.. Sorry post again, but is there something I am doing wrong or is this a bug? &nbsp;I have 7 players and if they see this messed up again tomorrow night for the third week in a row, they probably won't try Roll20 ever again. Hi Braxwulf, Sorry to see you've been having trouble with that map, it's a very cool one--when it works properly!&nbsp; This issue was actually fixed in an update for the Curse of Strahd module a while back. so I'm not sure why you're still seeing the problem now.&nbsp; My main recommendation is as Ziechael said, namely to remove the DL lines and re-create them. I can try to do this in a more expedient fashion by forcibly overwriting that page in the backend, but it will remove any edits you've made on that page at all.&nbsp; If you want me to try this, please let me know. Jeff (P.S. This was a ninja edit as I noticed your game had indeed been updated, so something else is afoot here--this issue should in fact be solved.)
Hi Braxwulf, I looked into it further and was able to run a script that should have fixed the problems with the Dynamic Lighting on that page.&nbsp; If there are any further issues with the Curse of Strahd module in particular, I'd ask that you direct those reports to the&nbsp; Curse of Strahd Bug Reporting Thread . Thanks for your patience, Jeff
That fixed it!&nbsp; Great support!&nbsp; Thank you.
Issue: Tokens do not "remember" where they have been when AFoW is enabled. Map: Overworld, 5m hexes. AFoW, Global illumination, update on drop enabled. Tokens: Has sight, no light emitted, 2m AFoW view distance. I'm simulating the party traveling to a town with only a rough map. They cannot see very far due to the terrain and are having to navigate to the location. I need them to "see" where they have explored on the map which is why I used AFoW to reveal where they have been. When the tokens move, the map is revealed properly. However, where they have been turns black. Why are the tokens unable to "see" where they have been? Is is due to the AFoW view distance that I have set? Thanks!
Hi Landon, If you swap over to the Dynamic Lighting section of the token option and input a value, does that allow for them to "remember" the map? As a side note: Something to keep in mind with the hex grid maps is that it does still look like the normal square grid through the fog, so you will not have hexagonal shaped revealing.
I've been having severe performance problems with AFoW, as discussed in this thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6273021/need-hel" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6273021/need-hel</a>... It's not so bad on my desktop computer, as that has a powerful CPU and GPU.&nbsp; The main issue is that we use laptops when we're playing in person, and our GM and the other player who uses a laptop don't have super-powerful ones (Intel integrated GPU etc).&nbsp; Is it expected that AFoW will have a constant CPU and GPU load, even when nothing is happening?
Slight Issue. Advanced Fog of War seems to be working fine on my end. Territory is being revealed as it should be, and we can clearly see where the party's been. However, my party's perspective is skewed. All the revealed territories don't seem to show up for them. Am I doing something wrong? All settings I have including the party's token are in the first page.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Try it with 'update on drop' off. It it likely only showing the areas covered when the token has finished it's move and not the bits in between. You are likely seeing the whole path due to DM omnipotence.
Didn't work. Looks the same to the group.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Once you've turned update on drop off you'll need to retrace the party's path with the token to update their view... sorry, should have mentioned that bit! If that doesn't resolve the issue you'll need to encourage at least one of your players to open a bug thread providing the diagnostic information in the&nbsp; sticky .

Edited 1526838523
AFoW is incredibly broken for me this morning. Areas that shouldn't be revealed show up anyways upon re-entering the map. I can reset fog or manually hide everything, but if I refresh from a players perspective, most things that have a 'torch' token (emits 20 ft, 10 dim, all players see light) show up as uncovered, despite the players not actually being there. What it looks like after hitting F5 as a player: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/XHeHVFU.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/XHeHVFU.png</a> I can manually re-hide (gm view, ctrl+L on test adventurer): <a href="https://i.imgur.com/x6qCRbt.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/x6qCRbt.png</a> But then F5 on player view again and it comes back even more wonky: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/UXgUwD3.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/UXgUwD3.png</a> The really weird thing is, it doesn't happen with ALL the torches either, like the ones I circled here always seem to remain covered: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/lC52djZ.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/lC52djZ.png</a> And here's my dynamic lighting layer:&nbsp;<a href="https://i.imgur.com/1GUtIws.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/1GUtIws.png</a> Map settings: - YES AFOW - NO show grid - NO dim light reveals - YES Dynamic Lighting - YES Enforce Line of Sight - YES Only update on drop - YES Restrict Movement - NO Global Illumination Player tokens: - Emit 60 feet (no dim) - NO all players see light - YES Has sight (no entered angle, 1x mul,) - No entered AFOW View Distance Torch tokens: - Emit 20 feet (10 dim) - YES all players see light - NO has sight (no entered angle, 1x mul,) - No entered AFOW View Distance Is there just a bug or can anyone help me with what I've done wrong? I made this particular map months ago and it worked wonderfully the last time I messed with it, but my players are about to get here and I don't want to ruin the experience :(
cmd said: AFoW is incredibly broken for me this morning. Areas that shouldn't be revealed show up anyways upon re-entering the map. I can reset fog or manually hide everything, but if I refresh from a players perspective, most things that have a 'torch' token (emits 20 ft, 10 dim, all players see light) show up as uncovered, despite the players not actually being there. What it looks like after hitting F5 as a player: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/XHeHVFU.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/XHeHVFU.png</a> I can manually re-hide (gm view, ctrl+L on test adventurer): <a href="https://i.imgur.com/x6qCRbt.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/x6qCRbt.png</a> But then F5 on player view again and it comes back even more wonky: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/UXgUwD3.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/UXgUwD3.png</a> The really weird thing is, it doesn't happen with ALL the torches either, like the ones I circled here always seem to remain covered: <a href="https://i.imgur.com/lC52djZ.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/lC52djZ.png</a> And here's my dynamic lighting layer:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.imgur.com/1GUtIws.png" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/1GUtIws.png</a> Map settings: - YES AFOW - NO show grid - NO dim light reveals - YES Dynamic Lighting - YES Enforce Line of Sight - YES Only update on drop - YES Restrict Movement - NO Global Illumination Player tokens: - Emit 60 feet (no dim) - NO all players see light - YES Has sight (no entered angle, 1x mul,) - No entered AFOW View Distance Torch tokens: - Emit 20 feet (10 dim) - YES all players see light - NO has sight (no entered angle, 1x mul,) - No entered AFOW View Distance Is there just a bug or can anyone help me with what I've done wrong? I made this particular map months ago and it worked wonderfully the last time I messed with it, but my players are about to get here and I don't want to ruin the experience :( So it seems like there might be a race condition occurring here which is why you get the different configurations of what is visible. Essentially, what might be happening is that as things are rendered in via refresh, etc. the dynamic lighting layer is coming in a little later and the players see the light from their perspective for the slightest moment. A work around for this moment might be to put torches and other ambient light in the GM layer until play. Then once everyone is loaded in, send all the tokens to the appropriate layer. This should prevent this behavior until we can more thoroughly investigate the issue.
Drespar said: So it seems like there might be a race condition occurring here which is why you get the different configurations of what is visible. Essentially, what might be happening is that as things are rendered in via refresh, etc. the dynamic lighting layer is coming in a little later and the players see the light from their perspective for the slightest moment. A work around for this moment might be to put torches and other ambient light in the GM layer until play. Then once everyone is loaded in, send all the tokens to the appropriate layer. This should prevent this behavior until we can more thoroughly investigate the issue. Makes a lot of sense to be a parallelism issue, as it does seem to mostly be exacerbated on page load, when everything is coming in as fast as possible. This is pretty much what I ended up doing. I selected/copied all the torches, deleted them, moved the players to the map (and had them cover their eyes just in case), pasted the torches, then reset fog of war. They all said it worked as it should. I can point you guys to the game/page if it'd help track it down at all! Thanks for the reply.
Having trouble with The Sunless Citadel. On the Fortress (Bottom) page the characters can't see the map features, just the shape of the room and the grid. When I hit CTRL+L as a DM Roll 20 makes it seem as though the PCs should see things as they are supposed to ,however, when I join as a player there are no map features and the PC I was troubleshooting with had the same problem. Here is a thread I made about it before I discovered this megathread.
Zolfe said: Having trouble with The Sunless Citadel. On the Fortress (Bottom) page the characters can't see the map features, just the shape of the room and the grid. When I hit CTRL+L as a DM Roll 20 makes it seem as though the PCs should see things as they are supposed to ,however, when I join as a player there are no map features and the PC I was troubleshooting with had the same problem. Here is a thread I made about it before I discovered this megathread. Hi Zolfe, Having a look at the game in question, it seems that the map was somehow moved to the GM layer. This would cause the issue as you are seeing. If you go to the GM layer, Right-click the map, and send it to the map layer it should resolve the issue :)
Can anybody tell me what the object limit is on a map to use Advanced Fog of War?&nbsp; I was super excited to start using it after watching some of the tutorials, but when I clicked in on it told me - straight up - I have too many objects on the map to even turn AFOG on. Now, admittedly, I run huge, awesome maps, but I don' think I'm breaking any records in terms of the number of objects/tokens on them. Mostly just really big backround maps blown up to cover huge outdoor terrains.&nbsp; But I'd love to use AFOG. Does anybody have a sense of what the limits are, or if they will somehow be raised. It's an awesome feature. I really want to use it!