Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War

I have a old DL map that's quite irregularly shaped, mostly to show that DL can be enough to make a space, without any normal map at all: Obviously, this wouldn't play nicely with Advanced Fog of War as-is, so I decided to play around with the grid scale. That's when I saw the issue. Rattachamp here has a 5 square radius for light. With scale=1, AFoW works as expected, with the southeast corner being marked with that cyan edge: Setting the scale to 0.5, AFoW seems to miss a few squares, only getting up to the blue marker: But where it's really egregious is with scale=0.25, somehow only getting the area up to the red marker: So, possible miscalculation? I understand that the high cell count gives a performance hit, but some users might like to have some very small, very detailed maps, so it could be an issue if unresolved.
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
As a player, I can see through the fog at the edge of the screen. It's not much. But at the bottom, I can see that there's text. By moving the map back and forth, I can see that it says, "B5. SHIP'S BOATS"
Hello I'm playing on the large Wave Echo Cave Map from the Phandelver set.  When I zoom the map out all the way in player and GM mode with Adv FoW on I can see the map through the grid.  When just using dynamic lighting it is completely black.  Is there a way to fix this?
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Also, the fog isn't "soft" at the very bottom of the map. Take a look at the A2, at about the height of the quickbar. You can see that there is a certain point where the border of fog of war is aligned exactly along the square, instead of slightly bleeding into the square. <a href="https://youtu.be/ruAREFzm_uo" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/ruAREFzm_uo</a>
Thank you for that post Corin! I will be submitting a bug ticket to get some dev eyes on it :) Ryan H. We are certainly aware of issues with the grid appearing when zoomed out, the devs are still currently looking into the cause. Stephen C. my first guess is it might be due with where and how the cells are rendered in Advanced Fog of War. I will submit a ticket for the devs to have a look!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
AuraofMana said: Another question. I got this to work but now the area the player has seen is not properly recorded. Meaning, some areas they've seen already aren't being remembered in Advanced Fog of War. Here is what the player sees. Here is what he sees in AFoW when he is not there. Here are the page and token settings. I want to make sure AFoW remembers exactly what the player sees, including dim light. 1. Why isn't that happening? 2. The wiki mentioned that View Distance under AFoW in Advanced Settings will be one of these, in priority order: a) Whatever is entered there. b) Whatever is entered under Emit Light c) Defaulted to 10x10 square around the token How come putting 30 feet of bright light for the token is not causing AFoW to remember that many squares when the token moves away? 3. This somehow works if I put View Distance under AFoW under 60 feet.
I think someone was confused when I said 50x50, that is the amount of tiles, not pixels. Also, for me that is a medium to small sized map, I go to around 90x90 a lot of the time or higher if there is no lighting or limited due to lag. I make a lot of sprawling dungeons and buildings to explore. I was already using update on drop, since it would be weird for them to move their token without actually moving it but see ahead. The updates seem to have smoothed it out, but won't be able to check fully until I get in game again.

Edited 1507399530
Drespar said: Jason Grigsby said: If you are calling a 50x50 map large, you have some serious issues.&nbsp; I'm trying to convert Night Below and my group has gotten about half-way through the campaign. Effectively, I am just drawing the maps. No super graphics or anything.&nbsp; My machine isn't ridiculous but it does operate a gtx 1060, i7 7th gen and 16 GB of DDR4 memory and I can't even select and move tokens without huge pauses. None of this was an issue before tonight. If the performance remains this bad, I absolutely will find another solution. I certainly would prefer not having the new features rather than having them and not having a usable experience. Thank you for the system specs! Certainly helps in finding common links as we go along :) Having slow downs when moving tokens points heavily towards possibly trying with "Update on Drop" checked as the system will not try to reveal cells until it is dropped which can help with performance issues. Another work around for now is the reduce the maximum cell number you can load by reducing your browser window size. Let me know if these help with performance, thank you! 1. I have turned off fog of war and lighting effects. 2. I have set "Update on Drop" already. Seriously, this was working fine just a couple of weeks ago. You have a performance problem. I understand that you have a relatively small team but at the very least, you should provide a method for people to go back to the older version of the webapp for the quite numerous people who've been running games and are now finding the tools to be unusable.&nbsp; As it is, I'm considering cancelling my game this week while we find a tool that works.
Hi&nbsp; Jason Grigsby , To confirm, you are experiencing slowdowns even when not using Advanced Fog of War, Fog of War, or Dynamic Lighting?
I'm running into a problem where whenever I place a player token, it removes the fog of war from random parts of the map that they've never been to.&nbsp; I can go in and reset the fog of war afterwards, but usually, it's too late and the players have already seen large parts of the map that I didn't want them to find already.&nbsp; Here's an example of what I'm running into: &nbsp;&nbsp;
@Jason Grigsby What browser are you using? If it is Chrome, try opening an Incognito tab with Ctrl-Shift-N, then load roll20 in there, and see how it performs. There is a know issue with the Lastpass extension in Chrome and roll20. The issue appears to be on the Lastpass side of things, and it's been there for going on a year, so I don't expect them to fix this. If this was an extension issue, the solutions we have found are: - Incognito Mode in Chrome, run without extensions (or only Stylish if your character sheet uses it) - Or replace Lastpass with Bitwarden in Chrome, that takes care of the Lastpass problem by not using it at all - Or use Firefox instead. The Firefox Lastpass extension doesn't appear to have the same issue The only time I've ever seen performance as bad as what you describe is when I had an issue with a browser extension slowing me down.

Edited 1507468606
Have a look at this screenshot from the Death House module in Curse of Strahd, with AFoW on. This SS was taken by a player, the top left one. Why can the players see "dimly" through the DL walls? Dim Light Reveals is not enabled (does not make a difference). I've tried changing any and all light settings, but nothing helps with this. This bug (undesired feature?) is kinda bad right here, as the players can clearly see a secret behind the DL wall (the secret staircase inside the wall to the upper right next to the PC). Anything I can do to fix this? The problem does not appear with DL only.
Writing to confirm that "Dim Light Reveals" option appears to still be busted. Hoping for a quick fix as this would be an awesome feature to implement fully into my games!
I just wanted to add to the grid revealing the map situation. I did notice it revealing an uneven portion of grid, where I had not placed anything on the map layer. Unfortunately now that I want to take a screenshot, it only grids where I have placed things. I'm not sure if this information will help, but every bit counts when finding what causes a problem.

Edited 1507599156
Drespar said: Hi&nbsp; Jason Grigsby , To confirm, you are experiencing slowdowns even when not using Advanced Fog of War, Fog of War, or Dynamic Lighting? Everything turned off, update only when token drops turned on.&nbsp; The machine I run the game from is a msi GE62VR, has an intel i7-6700HQ, GTX 1060 with 3 GB GDDR5, 16 GB DDR4-2133. Using the latest version of Chrome on Windows 10. Can't scroll through a map, clicking tokens takes significant time to have the three bubbles appear. All my maps are hand-drawn just using the draw tools you provide to make the maps, no backgrounds. Doesn't seem to matter if I make a new map that's 50x50 or use an old map that's 120x120. All of this worked perfectly smoothly before the update. After taking Thorsten B.'s advice, the performance is miles ahead in Firefox.
Thorsten B. said: @Jason Grigsby What browser are you using? If it is Chrome, try opening an Incognito tab with Ctrl-Shift-N, then load roll20 in there, and see how it performs. There is a know issue with the Lastpass extension in Chrome and roll20. The issue appears to be on the Lastpass side of things, and it's been there for going on a year, so I don't expect them to fix this. If this was an extension issue, the solutions we have found are: - Incognito Mode in Chrome, run without extensions (or only Stylish if your character sheet uses it) - Or replace Lastpass with Bitwarden in Chrome, that takes care of the Lastpass problem by not using it at all - Or use Firefox instead. The Firefox Lastpass extension doesn't appear to have the same issue The only time I've ever seen performance as bad as what you describe is when I had an issue with a browser extension slowing me down. So I don't use a password manager, this is just my home gaming machine and there aren't enough passwords to matter. I also don't have any extensions that don't come preinstalled on Chrome. Just to check, I turned everything off. However, I did try firefox and the performance is tremendously better.
One thing that has solved some problems in Chrome before is to toggle Hardware Acceleration. If it's On, turn it Off, and if it's Off turn it On. Then try loading up your game. Not a guaranteed fix, but it has helped some folks.
I was playing around with the advanced fog of war features last night and so far I'm relatively pleased with it, aside from one issue: prolonged use causes my laptop to completely hang up and crash. It's a mid range laptop, not the beefiest graphically but not bare bones either. I had been using the laptop for several hours before the issues, updating character sheets, working on handouts, placing objects on a new map, etc. The issues only started occuring once I started playing around with the fog of war. Afterwards I could get maybe 5-10 minutes of use before the computer would lock up and crash (multiple attempts). The map I was testing it on had only one token, was 20x25 and&nbsp; had very few objects in it. The map itself I made using Dungeon Painter Studio. I've made maps with this program before and I've had much larger, much more complex maps than this one with a lot more tokens and complex dynamic lighting in use with no issues.&nbsp; if I recall correctly, I had the following settings checked: fog of war enabled adv. Fog of war enabled Restrict movement (for dynamic lighting) dynamic lighting enabled global illumination enabled show grid enabled the crashes got particularly bad when I set my tokens view distance. It also crashed quickly when I set the token to have darkvision. (30,0,360 with multiplier 2) hope this helps.&nbsp;
As a follow up to my last post on performance, we tried the feature again last Saturday night and it worked much better. Manageable lag for me as the DM, and almost none for the players. So whatever you've been doing behind the scenes it's improving the service. Thank you.
Hey everyone! Thank you all for continuing to provide information on what issues you are having as we work to get things running more smoothly! :) We did put out a few fixes and I have some information as well: We believe we have fixed the issue with differently scaled grid sizes. So any of you having that issue please let us know if it is still happening You should now be able to use the "align to grid" tool while Fog of War is active. It should no longer snap to grid. We are still investigating the map showing through the grid, we have not been able to consistently reproduce it so finding a solution has been difficult but it IS still on our radar! Additionally, in regards to token drops revealing large portions of the map, we are also investigating the cause of this and how we can resolve it. Again, big thank you to everyone for you patience!
Adam A. said: I was playing around with the advanced fog of war features last night and so far I'm relatively pleased with it, aside from one issue: prolonged use causes my laptop to completely hang up and crash. It's a mid range laptop, not the beefiest graphically but not bare bones either. I had been using the laptop for several hours before the issues, updating character sheets, working on handouts, placing objects on a new map, etc. The issues only started occuring once I started playing around with the fog of war. Afterwards I could get maybe 5-10 minutes of use before the computer would lock up and crash (multiple attempts). The map I was testing it on had only one token, was 20x25 and&nbsp; had very few objects in it. The map itself I made using Dungeon Painter Studio. I've made maps with this program before and I've had much larger, much more complex maps than this one with a lot more tokens and complex dynamic lighting in use with no issues.&nbsp; if I recall correctly, I had the following settings checked: fog of war enabled adv. Fog of war enabled Restrict movement (for dynamic lighting) dynamic lighting enabled global illumination enabled show grid enabled the crashes got particularly bad when I set my tokens view distance. It also crashed quickly when I set the token to have darkvision. (30,0,360 with multiplier 2) hope this helps.&nbsp; Do you think you could capture a console log of this behavior? Thank you!
Drespar said: Adam A. said: I was playing around with the advanced fog of war features last night and so far I'm relatively pleased with it, aside from one issue: prolonged use causes my laptop to completely hang up and crash. It's a mid range laptop, not the beefiest graphically but not bare bones either. I had been using the laptop for several hours before the issues, updating character sheets, working on handouts, placing objects on a new map, etc. The issues only started occuring once I started playing around with the fog of war. Afterwards I could get maybe 5-10 minutes of use before the computer would lock up and crash (multiple attempts). The map I was testing it on had only one token, was 20x25 and&nbsp; had very few objects in it. The map itself I made using Dungeon Painter Studio. I've made maps with this program before and I've had much larger, much more complex maps than this one with a lot more tokens and complex dynamic lighting in use with no issues.&nbsp; if I recall correctly, I had the following settings checked: fog of war enabled adv. Fog of war enabled Restrict movement (for dynamic lighting) dynamic lighting enabled global illumination enabled show grid enabled the crashes got particularly bad when I set my tokens view distance. It also crashed quickly when I set the token to have darkvision. (30,0,360 with multiplier 2) hope this helps.&nbsp; Do you think you could capture a console log of this behavior? Thank you! That might be difficult. When it happens the entire computer locks up. I can't move the mouse, put it in sleep mode, type on the keyboard, etc. I had to hard shut down the computer by holding the power button, even cntrl+alt+del wouldn't do anything.&nbsp; assuming the log is stored up to that point, where would I look? In Chrome? Or somewhere in windows 10?
Adam A. said: Drespar said: Adam A. said: I was playing around with the advanced fog of war features last night and so far I'm relatively pleased with it, aside from one issue: prolonged use causes my laptop to completely hang up and crash. It's a mid range laptop, not the beefiest graphically but not bare bones either. I had been using the laptop for several hours before the issues, updating character sheets, working on handouts, placing objects on a new map, etc. The issues only started occuring once I started playing around with the fog of war. Afterwards I could get maybe 5-10 minutes of use before the computer would lock up and crash (multiple attempts). The map I was testing it on had only one token, was 20x25 and&nbsp; had very few objects in it. The map itself I made using Dungeon Painter Studio. I've made maps with this program before and I've had much larger, much more complex maps than this one with a lot more tokens and complex dynamic lighting in use with no issues.&nbsp; if I recall correctly, I had the following settings checked: fog of war enabled adv. Fog of war enabled Restrict movement (for dynamic lighting) dynamic lighting enabled global illumination enabled show grid enabled the crashes got particularly bad when I set my tokens view distance. It also crashed quickly when I set the token to have darkvision. (30,0,360 with multiplier 2) hope this helps.&nbsp; Do you think you could capture a console log of this behavior? Thank you! That might be difficult. When it happens the entire computer locks up. I can't move the mouse, put it in sleep mode, type on the keyboard, etc. I had to hard shut down the computer by holding the power button, even cntrl+alt+del wouldn't do anything.&nbsp; assuming the log is stored up to that point, where would I look? In Chrome? Or somewhere in windows 10? The console log would be in Chrome. you can check out&nbsp; Step 4 of our troubleshooting guide for information on how to access it. My apologies for misunderstanding, I understood it as you had a few minutes left before your computer locked up. What is the name of the game that you are having issues?
As a bit of feedback to the most recent updates; it appears that when you turn off the grid and attempt to turn on the advanced fog of war, it causes both players and gms to be unable to load the game. I ran the test with a player and we found that if you have the grid on and the Adv FOW, everything appears to run fine, but the second you turn off the Grid and leave on Adv FOW, the game crashes for the player who happens to be on that map and it becomes impossible to load into the game for any players. If a GM is located on a different map that doesn't have the Adv FOW on and Grid off, they can load in fine, but it's impossible for players. We've been using the Adv FOW since it came out without a grid for several maps, and this is the first time it prevented us from logging into the campaign. In the case of logging in, it resulted in being stuck at the "logging in" screen and the browser would hang and say "something is causing the browser to slow down. would you like to wait or stop" and no matter how many times we told it to wait, it wouldn't load into the game. It was only by a small miracle I managed to change maps as the GM before the game fully loaded in on an attempt and managed to get the Adv FOW turned off on that map. We aren't totally sure of what's causing the issue aside from that it has something to do with the Grid and Adv FOW. My Player uses Chrome and I use Firefox, so we know it's not a specific browser related issue. The map we were having the issue on also had dynamic lighting and global illumination running.
Drespar said: Adam A. said: Drespar said: Adam A. said: I was playing around with the advanced fog of war features last night and so far I'm relatively pleased with it, aside from one issue: prolonged use causes my laptop to completely hang up and crash. It's a mid range laptop, not the beefiest graphically but not bare bones either. I had been using the laptop for several hours before the issues, updating character sheets, working on handouts, placing objects on a new map, etc. The issues only started occuring once I started playing around with the fog of war. Afterwards I could get maybe 5-10 minutes of use before the computer would lock up and crash (multiple attempts). The map I was testing it on had only one token, was 20x25 and&nbsp; had very few objects in it. The map itself I made using Dungeon Painter Studio. I've made maps with this program before and I've had much larger, much more complex maps than this one with a lot more tokens and complex dynamic lighting in use with no issues.&nbsp; if I recall correctly, I had the following settings checked: fog of war enabled adv. Fog of war enabled Restrict movement (for dynamic lighting) dynamic lighting enabled global illumination enabled show grid enabled the crashes got particularly bad when I set my tokens view distance. It also crashed quickly when I set the token to have darkvision. (30,0,360 with multiplier 2) hope this helps.&nbsp; Do you think you could capture a console log of this behavior? Thank you! That might be difficult. When it happens the entire computer locks up. I can't move the mouse, put it in sleep mode, type on the keyboard, etc. I had to hard shut down the computer by holding the power button, even cntrl+alt+del wouldn't do anything.&nbsp; assuming the log is stored up to that point, where would I look? In Chrome? Or somewhere in windows 10? The console log would be in Chrome. you can check out&nbsp; Step 4 of our troubleshooting guide for information on how to access it. My apologies for misunderstanding, I understood it as you had a few minutes left before your computer locked up. What is the name of the game that you are having issue No worries. I've set it up to capture the logs and persist them so I should be able to send them next time it happens. Which conveniently we have our weekly session tomorrow (different game). As for the game I'm seeing the issues in, The official title is Heroes and Hardened Criminals, but I think I renamed it last night to H&Hc&nbsp;
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The bug that was causing a crash with Advanced Fog and the grid disabled should now be resolved. Please let us know if you're still experiencing any issues related to this set up.
<a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv</a> vs <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb51q" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb51q</a> Just showing the performance of the advanced fog of war (1st link off) (2nd link on) Its realy unplayable with the advanced fog on :/ For the players its even worse the performance. This was recorded in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (incognito mode) CPU: i7-6700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 RAM: 16gb 3200mhz SSD: 256gb Corsair
Filipe "KaoSdReapeR" Rocha said: <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv</a> vs <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb51q" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb51q</a> Just showing the performance of the advanced fog of war (1st link off) (2nd link on) Its realy unplayable with the advanced fog on :/ For the players its even worse the performance. This was recorded in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (incognito mode) CPU: i7-6700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 RAM: 16gb 3200mhz SSD: 256gb Corsair Have you tried playing with "Update on Drop" enabled? This might up your performance a bit.
Drespar said: We are still investigating the map showing through the grid, we have not been able to consistently reproduce it so finding a solution has been difficult but it IS still on our radar! Is this the issue I and Stephen L (in the 3rd post in this thread) reported? I'm still uncertain if devs have noticed/acknowledged the bug we're reporting. (Visibility through DL walls).

Edited 1507825842
As a Dungeon Master who uses a lot of traditional style dungeons there's a pretty severe issue where advanced fog of war actually reveals more than a player was able to see through walls, which essentially ruins the cheese of any secret/hidden passages on any of my maps. For example here is a simple setup with my dynamic lighting show, red for walls, cyan for doors (overlap to prevent the occasional glitch where a tiny crack can be seen on the edges) The player's vision should be limited to what is in the room, and under normal circumstances with Dynamic Lighting that is true, however with Advanced Fog of War enabled: (Using actual Player View not ctrl+L to prevent any glitches) There is a slight bleed through the wall where the passageway is giving visibility through walls and revealing where other rooms and tunnels are despite them never having been revealed or seen by the player. Because of this any map that utilises hidden passageways, or has rooms next to one another is essentially broken as more information is revealed to the player than they should have access to.
Espen K. said: Drespar said: We are still investigating the map showing through the grid, we have not been able to consistently reproduce it so finding a solution has been difficult but it IS still on our radar! Is this the issue I and Stephen L (in the 3rd post in this thread) reported? I'm still uncertain if devs have noticed/acknowledged the bug we're reporting. (Visibility through DL walls). I can confirm we have dev eyes on this issue as well. Sorry for not stating as such! :)
With update on drop its even worse the performance :/ Drespar said: Filipe "KaoSdReapeR" Rocha said: <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv</a> vs <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb51q" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb51q</a> Just showing the performance of the advanced fog of war (1st link off) (2nd link on) Its realy unplayable with the advanced fog on :/ For the players its even worse the performance. This was recorded in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (incognito mode) CPU: i7-6700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 RAM: 16gb 3200mhz SSD: 256gb Corsair Have you tried playing with "Update on Drop" enabled? This might up your performance a bit.
Quick update for everyone! We have been hard at work, and we should have a fix going out in the near future that should address the feathering effect beyond dynamic lighting lines. This also might fix the see-through grid lines that have been seen, we will keep you up to date but real quick I have some screenshots of where we are at! You can see the word Secret in the top left of the box: You can't see the word:

Edited 1507853630
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To save anyone else the minute I used trying to figure that out, "the top left of the box" refers to the top left of the DL black box to bottom center below the character. :)
Perhaps not a terribly useful comment, but the scaling seems to work well now, dev team! Thumbs up!
+1 for using Firefox. It's a big performance boost for us.
Filipe "KaoSdReapeR" Rocha said: With update on drop its even worse the performance :/ Drespar said: Filipe "KaoSdReapeR" Rocha said: <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv</a> vs <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb51q" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb51q</a> Just showing the performance of the advanced fog of war (1st link off) (2nd link on) Its realy unplayable with the advanced fog on :/ For the players its even worse the performance. This was recorded in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (incognito mode) CPU: i7-6700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 RAM: 16gb 3200mhz SSD: 256gb Corsair Have you tried playing with "Update on Drop" enabled? This might up your performance a bit. Could you capture a console log capturing this behavior? Thank you!
The fix for the feathering resulting in sight behind dynamic lighting lines should have been pushed out today. Let us know if that worked for you or if you are still having issues. Thank you!
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I just tried the fix for the dim light feathering behind the DL walls. Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to be working. Here's a new screenshot.&nbsp;
Stephen L. said: I just tried the fix for the dim light feathering behind the DL walls. Unfortunately, it still doesn't seem to be working. Here's a new screenshot.&nbsp; I can see some hard lines between the desaturated gray and the brighter area. Does it still happen if you reset the Fog of War?
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, this was retested after resetting the Fog of War.
Rob said: I'm running into a problem where whenever I place a player token, it removes the fog of war from random parts of the map that they've never been to.&nbsp; I can go in and reset the fog of war afterwards, but usually, it's too late and the players have already seen large parts of the map that I didn't want them to find already.&nbsp; Here's an example of what I'm running into: &nbsp;&nbsp; I have this exact same issue except with Forge of Fury from Tales From the Yawning Portal. I posted that error which matches this one and have received no response from mods.
Drespar said: Filipe "KaoSdReapeR" Rocha said: With update on drop its even worse the performance :/ Drespar said: Filipe "KaoSdReapeR" Rocha said: <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb4vv</a> vs <a href="https://prnt.sc/gwb51q" rel="nofollow">https://prnt.sc/gwb51q</a> Just showing the performance of the advanced fog of war (1st link off) (2nd link on) Its realy unplayable with the advanced fog on :/ For the players its even worse the performance. This was recorded in the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (incognito mode) CPU: i7-6700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 RAM: 16gb 3200mhz SSD: 256gb Corsair Have you tried playing with "Update on Drop" enabled? This might up your performance a bit. Could you capture a console log capturing this behavior? Thank you! Here you go :) Hope its this you are asking :D <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qY9XnV7lTAT2fI" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qY9XnV7lTAT2fI</a>...
Advanced fog of war has a bug in the GM view (at least) as seen below.&nbsp; * In the first picture, I (the GM) moved the PC character across the stream while Control-L was on, along the way (correctly) revealing various spaces through the trees, which are then dimmed by fog of war as the token continued to move.&nbsp; * In the second picture, as the GM I clicked the screen (which turns off the Control-L), then clicked Control-L again to re-look at what they can see from adv fog of war... but the area outside of the current position's dynamic lighting has gone black again, as though adv fog of war was reset improperly. Update on drop was off, fog war off, adv fog of war on, dyn lighting on, enforce line sight on, global illumination on. Running Chrome.
Separate comment: yesterday, running a 91 x 75 grid (which is common for me, not 20x20s), with 5 PCs and 12 NPCs.&nbsp; Half the NPCs had come from a module that had "has sight" selected on the tokens.&nbsp; When I first turned on adv fog of war, Chrome froze, and it was a good 20 minutes before I could get back to the page/settings/turn off adv fog of war - frustrating.&nbsp; Today, I turned off the NPC sight and was able to turn adv fog of war on without this immense lag. --&gt; If it helps performance, I would suggest not calculating adv fog of war for NPCs.&nbsp; I would accept stability of play over the ability to "review what the NPCs have seen" with this tool.
Stephen L. said: Yes, this was retested after resetting the Fog of War. Thank you for clarifying, I will make sure the devs know and can have another look :) James A. said: Rob said: I'm running into a problem where whenever I place a player token, it removes the fog of war from random parts of the map that they've never been to.&nbsp; I can go in and reset the fog of war afterwards, but usually, it's too late and the players have already seen large parts of the map that I didn't want them to find already.&nbsp; Here's an example of what I'm running into: &nbsp;&nbsp; I have this exact same issue except with Forge of Fury from Tales From the Yawning Portal. I posted that error which matches this one and have received no response from mods. My apologies for missing that! Are you able to reset fog of war and remedy the issue? Unfortunately that is the only workaround until we can get a fix out. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Drespar said: Stephen L. said: Yes, this was retested after resetting the Fog of War. Thank you for clarifying, I will make sure the devs know and can have another look :) James A. said: Rob said: I'm running into a problem where whenever I place a player token, it removes the fog of war from random parts of the map that they've never been to.&nbsp; I can go in and reset the fog of war afterwards, but usually, it's too late and the players have already seen large parts of the map that I didn't want them to find already.&nbsp; Here's an example of what I'm running into: &nbsp;&nbsp; I have this exact same issue except with Forge of Fury from Tales From the Yawning Portal. I posted that error which matches this one and have received no response from mods. My apologies for missing that! Are you able to reset fog of war and remedy the issue? Unfortunately that is the only workaround until we can get a fix out. Sorry for the inconvenience! I am having the same issue on the Fortress (Bottom) page of the Sunless Citadel. While resetting the FoW does hide all the previously revealed areas, dropping a new token on the map yields the same results (large, random areas of the map being revealed). And once I disable Advanced FoW, I am unable to replicate any of these issues as lighting appears to function properly.
Drespar said: Stephen L. said: Yes, this was retested after resetting the Fog of War. Thank you for clarifying, I will make sure the devs know and can have another look :) James A. said: Rob said: I'm running into a problem where whenever I place a player token, it removes the fog of war from random parts of the map that they've never been to.&nbsp; I can go in and reset the fog of war afterwards, but usually, it's too late and the players have already seen large parts of the map that I didn't want them to find already.&nbsp; Here's an example of what I'm running into: &nbsp;&nbsp; I have this exact same issue except with Forge of Fury from Tales From the Yawning Portal. I posted that error which matches this one and have received no response from mods. My apologies for missing that! Are you able to reset fog of war and remedy the issue? Unfortunately that is the only workaround until we can get a fix out. Sorry for the inconvenice. Resetting fog of war does not remedy the issue. Also if I create a fresh new game with these modules the problem persists to it's something to do with how the module is built I think.
Does this problem only occur on a few maps, or are you able to reproduce it on say a custom map?