Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 Tips and Tricks (Innovative Solutions to Common Problems)

I didn't even know that the Tilde could call Sheet Abilities!
Blue64 said: I didn't even know that the Tilde could call Sheet Abilities! This is an Ability Command Button
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you are building a sheet ability that references other abilities on the same sheet, absolutely. Caveat (and I just discovered this): if the ability called is one that is actually run as part of the ability that calls it (i.e. not an Ability Command Button), you do need to specify the character and use this format: %{@{character_name}|AbilityName} But for an Ability Command Button, you can just do this: [Button Name](~AbilityName)
Kieth, you might wanna test that format, because I have found myself incapable of nesting those calls as a Free User (perhaps you are encountering something the premium's API Access has unlocked?)
Hi all, following the advice of this thread I set up a macro mule for the PCs ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6138238/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6138238/</a> ), but after giving them Edit and Control access and selecting the “Show on macro bar” option for the Abilities of that sheet, the macros did not show up on their macro bar. I ended up having to also select “Show in Journal” for all players, then they could open the mule’s sheet themselves and select “show in macro bar” and it would work. Did I do something wrong, or did the way the system works change?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joe:&nbsp; "Show on Macro Bar" is a different setting for each player. They have to do that part manually. Mostly I set things that all players need access to as Token Actions in the Collections Macro Tab that calls the macro mule Action. I have about 2-3 of these. True they need a token selected to see the button, but most players have their token selected or at least available throughout game time. Blue64: Nothing in that technique requires API access. I'll PM you to keep the thread uncluttered.
Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a PC macro mule, if for every macro on it you need to also recreate an equivalent Collections Macro Tab global macro? It’s not a big deal to me to let the players see the sheet in their journal, I just feel like I’m missing something. keithcurtis said: Joe:&nbsp; "Show on Macro Bar" is a different setting for each player. They have to do that part manually. Mostly I set things that all players need access to as Token Actions in the Collections Macro Tab that calls the macro mule Action. I have about 2-3 of these. True they need a token selected to see the button, but most players have their token selected or at least available throughout game time.

Edited 1550265330
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Easily Repeatable Game Searches (AKA: Bookmarking your game searches) Let us pretend for just a moment that you are looking for a very specific sort of game, a D&amp;D 5E game, Mature Content is ok, plays anytime on a Tuesday and is Text Only.&nbsp; You jump through the needed hoops to get your search set up... ... and you don't find anything this time that appeals to you.&nbsp; You're tired of doing all that clicking and typing and you really wish you could just set some default search options for your account so it could be so much simpler in the future.&nbsp; There has to be a better way! (TM) Well, there is! When you do a game search, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/</a> turns into <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/?days=tuesday&amp;dayhours=1549947600&amp;frequency=&amp;timeofday=&amp;timeofday_seconds=&amp;language=English&amp;avpref=textonly&amp;gametype=Any&amp;newplayer=false&amp;yesmaturecontent=true&amp;nopaytoplay=false&amp;playingstructured=dnd_next&amp;sortby=relevance&amp;for_event=&amp;roll20con=" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search/?days=tuesday&amp;dayhours=1549947600&amp;frequency=&amp;timeofday=&amp;timeofday_seconds=&amp;language=English&amp;avpref=textonly&amp;gametype=Any&amp;newplayer=false&amp;yesmaturecontent=true&amp;nopaytoplay=false&amp;playingstructured=dnd_next&amp;sortby=relevance&amp;for_event=&amp;roll20con=</a> This address is unique to your search, and thus can be bookmarked, and you can do all sorts of things with bookmarks -- which is a different subject for other sites. :) (I have zero knowledge of Chrome, outside the fact it exists, but in Firefox if you name this bookmark as 'MyRoll20Search', you can start typing the name of a bookmark into the address bar and it will pull up your bookmark for auto-completion!) And this ends this episode of Stupid Roll20 Tricks, sponsored by keithcurtis .

Edited 1550269770
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Joe said: Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a PC macro mule, if for every macro on it you need to also recreate an equivalent Collections Macro Tab global macro? It’s not a big deal to me to let the players see the sheet in their journal, I just feel like I’m missing something. keithcurtis said: Joe:&nbsp; "Show on Macro Bar" is a different setting for each player. They have to do that part manually. Mostly I set things that all players need access to as Token Actions in the Collections Macro Tab that calls the macro mule Action. I have about 2-3 of these. True they need a token selected to see the button, but most players have their token selected or at least available throughout game time. Only if it's a macro that every character needs access to. I currently have&nbsp;148 abilities on my "Macros" character sheet. The overwhelming majority deal with token set up, light control, tracking damage on monsters, setting statuses, figuring ranges, calculating rules for jumping and stuff, and much, much more. 99% of these are things players don't need. Only universal token macros require them to be written in the Collections tab. I just counted; I have 6 macros in the collection tab that players access that can't easily be written as macro mule abilities, or are so simple as to not need it. Three macros to toggle advantage, one for initiative, one to send their statblock to chat, and one that calls up a chat menu (that is located on the macro character) for a host of things like switching maps, or checking lore or writing character abilities. BTW, I also have multiple Macro sheets. Beyond the one above, which is game control, I have one for my scenes macro, one for my visual NPC directory, and one for Jukebox control.
@Joe; to simplify: I am in the process of constructing a Compendium of every Spell in 5e in my game. I could drag &amp; drop every Spell into the Sheet's Spell Tab, bu~ut; What if I desire to pull the Sheet into another Campaign? What if that Campaign doesn't use the same Sheet at me? What if the amount of Lag induced by the thousands (not an exaggeration) of lines of useless Code causes people to complain because they become incapable of logging in? This is resolved by simply setting up every individual Spell as its own Ability &amp; Attribute. Now, not only can I easily simply call @{SpellCantrip|Toll-the-Dead} But it will instantly find the Attribute which reads &amp;#37;&amp;#123;SpellCantrip&amp;#124;Toll-the-Dead&amp;#125; which is parsed by the API Button trick Kieth mentioned as %{SpellCantrip|Toll-the-Dead} which is where the Spell resides. 2 Lines of Code per Spell, instead of ~25+ which cuts back on Lag. I'm also capable of switching every Spell from &amp;{template:spell} to &amp;{template:default} if I so desire, which means I'd be capable of transferring them between ANY Sheet, not even restricted to 5e, and all I'd need to do is import the Character "SpellCantrip" from my Character Vault. This is capable of being repeated with any Macro, not just Spells. If you have a Macro that you want on the Macro Bar, you can easily just keep the Macro on your Macro Mule, and just Either Attribute ( @{} ) or Ability ( %{} ) Call it from a Macro ( # ) and assign the appropriate Settings from there. Just remember; to access the Macros, the person doing the Call needs to have Edit Permission, but not necessarily View Permission, unless they want to Edit/Build their own Macros.
Whats a macro mule and how does it work and also what are the benefits to having one? =D Im interested in this concept =) Blue64 said: @Joe; to simplify: I am in the process of constructing a Compendium of every Spell in 5e in my game. I could drag &amp; drop every Spell into the Sheet's Spell Tab, bu~ut; What if I desire to pull the Sheet into another Campaign? What if that Campaign doesn't use the same Sheet at me? What if the amount of Lag induced by the thousands (not an exaggeration) of lines of useless Code causes people to complain because they become incapable of logging in? This is resolved by simply setting up every individual Spell as its own Ability &amp; Attribute. Now, not only can I easily simply call @{SpellCantrip|Toll-the-Dead} But it will instantly find the Attribute which reads &amp;#37;&amp;#123;SpellCantrip&amp;#124;Toll-the-Dead&amp;#125; which is parsed by the API Button trick Kieth mentioned as %{SpellCantrip|Toll-the-Dead} which is where the Spell resides. 2 Lines of Code per Spell, instead of ~25+ which cuts back on Lag. I'm also capable of switching every Spell from &amp;{template:spell} to &amp;{template:default} if I so desire, which means I'd be capable of transferring them between ANY Sheet, not even restricted to 5e, and all I'd need to do is import the Character "SpellCantrip" from my Character Vault. This is capable of being repeated with any Macro, not just Spells. If you have a Macro that you want on the Macro Bar, you can easily just keep the Macro on your Macro Mule, and just Either Attribute ( @{} ) or Ability ( %{} ) Call it from a Macro ( # ) and assign the appropriate Settings from there. Just remember; to access the Macros, the person doing the Call needs to have Edit Permission, but not necessarily View Permission, unless they want to Edit/Build their own Macros.

Edited 1550790396
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Macro Mule is another name for&nbsp; Macro Character Sheet . You can find more info in one of the first tricks in this thread. Technically, it's an Ability Character Sheet, but its purpose is to replace the bulk of the Macros in the collections tab with portable and easier-to-write Abilities. That and&nbsp; Chat Menus &nbsp;probably get the most redirects out of any trick in the list. Be sure to browse through the index in the top post .
it also allows for easy organization, and reduction of clutter, don't forget to check out the API Button Trick (until recently I was a Free User, so it works for all tiers). the best use for it is the Transport of your Macros via the Character Vault instead of via the Transmogrifier, as it is apparently easier to use the Character Vault (I wouldn't know to be honest)
Ah I get it now, it's slowly sinking in, more so when i saw the screenshot. Heh I tried pressing the index twice but it just reloaded the page so i skipped it from that point. I haven't really used macros for anything other than making a Investigation Check for the party, to stop them from knowing what they rolled =P But I'll look into this.. Macro Mule stuff =) keithcurtis said: Macro Mule is another name for&nbsp; Macro Character Sheet . You can find more info in one of the first tricks in this thread. Technically, it's an Ability Character Sheet, but its purpose is to replace the bulk of the Macros in the collections tab with portable and easier-to-write Abilities. That and&nbsp; Chat Menus &nbsp;probably get the most redirects out of any trick in the list. Be sure to browse through the index in the top post .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Blue64 said: it also allows for easy organization, and reduction of clutter, don't forget to check out the API Button Trick (until recently I was a Free User, so it works for all tiers). the best use for it is the Transport of your Macros via the Character Vault instead of via the Transmogrifier, as it is apparently easier to use the Character Vault (I wouldn't know to be honest) The Transmogrifier doesn't move macros, so yeah, a character sheet is pretty much the only way of moving large chunks of macro code from game to game. Which is easier is a matter of personal preference.
Moving 300+ blocks of code by Hand, or tie it to a Character Sheet, says it's personal preference... For whom? Sadists? lol
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I meant Transmogrifier or Character Vault, of course.
keithcurtis said: I meant Transmogrifier or Character Vault, of course. With the Character Vault, the sheet would always be there, in case you delete all your games for some reason.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Doug E. said: keithcurtis said: I meant Transmogrifier or Character Vault, of course. With the Character Vault, the sheet would always be there, in case you delete all your games for some reason. And with the Transmogrifier, provided you do your development in one particular game, you will always get the latest code. Like I said, personal preference.
I thought that Link to the Image Archive Page was around here somewhere, but I just looked through all 11 pages and didn't see it. I'm trying to upload images to Roll20 but I am not informed when it finds an image to be too large, instead it still behaves as though it is still uploading the image; the Page I was looking for did not have this problem. I don't remember who had the Link, but I know at least one person here should know it, because, who else would know such a useful unorthodox trick besides you folks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You mean?...&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/library/" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/library/</a>
keithcurtis said: You mean?...&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/library/" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/library/</a> Yes! Thank you Kieth, that's a lot more stable than the built-in uploader for such purposes. It might be Depreciated, but it is not obsolete because it has fully functional Error catching (at least for File Sizes).

Edited 1556783962
Using tints for art compatibility (high level map design) Hello everyone! Been a while since I last posted on the forums... been actually feeling conflicted about a problem with roll20, one that I will discuss on this trick.&nbsp; Keywords: high quality map design, art compatibility, variety, tints. What is the problem? For someone who loves graphical design and aims at creating truly beautiful maps, using assets from different art packs can create an amateur look that I hate; using tints can also be problematic in creating this amateur look. Fortunately there seems to be a nice fix that GMs can implement easily! Still interested?&nbsp; I will enter into some finer details of graphical design in this post, but for those who do not care about understanding the trick's reasoning - here is a list of the bulletpoints of how to use this trick, by Blue64: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7387029/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7387029/</a> A graphical example seems like a good starting point to discuss the topic: A map featuring Gryphin flying over a waste. I would say that the art used mostly feels ok. But the wooden textures seem to not fit the map, the boulders too. Honestly I was running into this kind of problem and coming short of an answer way too frequently. I was not considering one factor: not always is the art itself the problem, but my choice to use/not use tints and how it affects the art, making it feel like it does not fit together. Let me go into more detail: The griphyn might have a different art style than the landscape, but considering those are different classes of elements it feels ok, one is the environment, the other the active enemies. Can't really say the same for the boulders and trees compared to the rest of the landscape, here it just does not fit in a more glaring way. Their textures seem off and colours just seem too glossy, and they have lines that are more defined than they should it seems - this problem is often created by not using tints on objects right next to tinted assets. The filters apply something like a colored wrapper over the art assets, which changes saturation in art assets, impacting strongly how lines, shadows and textures feel. Something that also came to mind: pure black tint does not have the same effects as pretty much all other tints, so I think it should also be treated as a "problematic tint". My points is: choosing tints is important but in more ways than I used to think. It can create variety but can also impact harmony and quality of the maps... So what I started doing is using tints on everything and not using pure black tint. Created a few macros so that I didn't click myself silly, and the results seem to be much better. It makes a big difference to me, as it keeps art consistent, even while using the advantages of tint recolors. It also helps bring art from different artists closer - by hiding some of the high variance details like finishes for texturing. An example of this applied to the map: Using tints on all background objects created a consistent look, creating the feeling of a dusty, sunny landscape. This fixes so many maps for me, and finnaly gives me the freedom to combine many assets with ease, without ending up with glaring artsyle shifts. I know many would not care a lot about this, many would not even say it is a problem. But I have struggled many times with maps where it just did not fit, in ways that seemed so though for me to change.&nbsp; I hope this wasn't too confusing/boring. Just trying to help roll20 GMs with the art of map design and role-playing in general. For me great art is essential, so I thought I would take the time and bore some people with this - some might be bored in a good way haha All the best, gui8312 Note: The art above uses assets from Gabriel Pickard and Devin Night -- great artists that have made the effort of creating huge libraries in the same art style... big thanks to them!

Edited 1556038773
if you didn't understand all of that, here's the bullet points in layman's terms: Be careful which Tints you use Avoid Solid Black Tint in most cases Tint everything Try tinting everything the same or similar colors I that doesn't work, they likely share a Color already, and this is throwing off the Tinting Try Tinting with Reduced levels of one of the 3 Colors Red Green Blue For example, if you have a Green Field with a Red Dragon Yellow Tint = Green + Red, so they would both look off Red Tint = Extreme for the Dragon, but somewhat works on the Grass Green Tint = Extreme for the Grass, but somewhat works on the Dragon Red with Half Green Tint = Perfect for the Grass Green with Half Red Tint = Perfect for the Dragon This type of Trial &amp; Error is what the concept is based around. You likely won't get it right the first time, however you'll eventually get better at it. The post above goes into more detail. Tint can cause assets to seem less out of place They said it better in fancier terms, but, that's the Gist of it all.

Edited 1555752602
Thanks Blue64! Added it to the post's beginning :)&nbsp; I would just suggest removing the subsection "Try&nbsp; tinting everything the same or similar colors" as this restriction is not necessary. It's more like tint everything to have a more consistent look.&nbsp;
Hence why you said it better @ gui8312 . I was phrasing it a different way in order to enhance the understanding of the concept. If they have difficulty understanding the Concept though, they would otherwise be lost on how to progress. The methodology of the concept (the Goal: to make it appear more Consistent) has one trying multiple forms of Tinting on pretty much everything though, and whilst they are not always identical colors, they are usually similar to eachother, so, in essence; I instructed them to try the method without understanding the concept. I am also aware that it doesn't always work, hence why I wrote to try it. This subconsciously provides the mental notation that it might not work the first time, or at all, but it is worthy of some applied effort. I do notice that I need to addendum to that section that if that doesn't work, try removing one of the colors from the Tinting. I shall throw that in now. P. S. I just noticed you signed it gui8311 yet you are (on here) gui8312

Edited 1556111472
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Player Dashboard - Spell/Resource/Sheet management direct from the map page Credit for this one goes to&nbsp; Ed S. &nbsp;who mentioned this in response to a user wanting easy control over the global mod flags of the Roll20 5e sheet. The premise is simple, each sheet has a number of attributes that control most aspects of a character. Casters have spell slots (system dependent), melee builds may have daily or finite powers etc. When the API isn't an option for controlling these things, or more manual control is desired, you can set up additional tokens tied to a single sheet and assign the values in the bars to relate to the areas of the sheet you'd like to control but don't want on your main token all of the time. This simple example has the spell slots of 1st, 2nd and 3rd level spells for a level 10 eldritch knight tied to the tokens which in turn are walled off behind dynamic lighting walls. The user can see, access and control the tokens and their values in order to quickly update key information. I aren't sure if/how this might work with repeating rows but for enabling global mod flags or simple wealth management these additional tokens can really cut down on the need to open/close (maximise/minimise) a players sheet: For a true caster you could just as easily have 3 tokens representing Spell Levels 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9 to cut down on tokens. This little tip doesn't require a subscription of any level to use but Plus would give the option of using dynamic lighting to segregate the individual dashboard areas. Pro would open up options like API (TokenMod) based control over the token bars and use of the transmogrifier to import a template of the page with dashboards already set up on them (until such a time as the 'copy page' function actually does copy the full page).
Thanks for the shout out Ziechael ! Here is a picture of my game using it and an image of the token settings using the OGL 5e sheet.

Edited 1556579144
I frequently need to find obscure character abilities that aren't as easy to memorize. So I created a macro that gives me information like: carrying capacity standing long/high jump running long/high jump how long a PC can hold their breath how long a PC is alive without any breath how long a PC can last without food All you have to do is select the PC's token, and not only receive this information, but also quickly get a lot of other useful information. /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} {{name=**@{selected|token_name}**, (@{selected|race}), lvl @{selected|level} @{selected|class}}} {{description=S@{selected|strength_mod} • D@{selected|dexterity_mod} • C@{selected|constitution_mod} • I@{selected|intelligence_mod} • W@{selected|wisdom_mod} • Ch@{selected|charisma_mod} AC @{selected|AC} • PB +@{selected|pb} • Speed @{selected|speed} ft ***----------------------------------------*** **Health:** @{selected|hp} / @{selected|hp|max} *(-[[@{selected|hp|max}-@{selected|hp}]])* **Hit dice:** @{selected|hit_dice} / @{selected|hit_dice|max} @ 1d@{selected|hitdietype} **@{selected|class_resource_name}:** @{selected|class_resource}/@{selected|class_resource|max} **@{selected|other_resource_name}:** @{selected|other_resource}/@{selected|other_resource|max} ***----------------------------------------*** [[10+@{selected|perception_bonus}]] p **Perception** [[10+@{selected|insight_bonus}]] p **Insight** [[10+@{selected|investigation_bonus}]] p **Investigation** [[10+@{selected|stealth_bonus}]] p **Stealth** ***----------------------------------------*** **Carry Capacity:** [[@{selected|strength}*15@{selected|carrying_capacity_mod}}]] lbs ***----------------------------------------*** **S[[@{selected|strength}/2]] Long Jump [[@{selected|strength}]]R** **S[[(@{selected|strength_mod}+3)/2]] High Jump [[@{selected|strength_mod}+3]]R** ***----------------------------------------*** **Hold Breath:** [[@{selected|constitution_mod}+1]] min **Rounds w/o Breath:** [[@{selected|constitution_mod}]] ***----------------------------------------*** **Without Food:** [[@{selected|constitution_mod}+3]] days ***----------------------------------------*** **Languages:** @{selected|languages}}} The languages requires that you manually add this attribute to the character sheet. PS. If there's anything else anyone would like to see in this macro, let me know and I'll look into it.

Edited 1556468249
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Very nice. While macros themselves aren't usually stupid tricks, the idea of using a macro to call up a specific list of obscure rules is a good one.

Edited 1556576228
Repeating Resources: Short Answer: it doesn't work. Longer answer: it could work, as the Attribute is callable, however until the Sheet obtains an entry in the Attributes and Abilities Page, said Callable Attribute is incapable of being assigned to Bar 1, 2, &amp; 3, as it only lists certain prefabricated Attributes and any that are already existing. Case Sensitive: Yes @PapaWhiskey11 Code Styling is your friend. Select the Text you want to put in a Code Block, hit the little Wand looking icon left of Bold, select Code. If you want multiple line breaks in a single code block; there's 2 methods: Shift + Enter to send a Line Return with no Line Break (the standard Line Return format for Unix Operating Systems, whereas Apple inverts it, Windows uses both) Mobile users are obviously incapable of using the previous option, however it won't break the Code Block if you don't put the Line Return at the end of the Code Block, the very end. If there is so much as a period between the spot where you're typing and the end, it won't break it. Results may vary on PC. The other benefits of the Code Block includes Reducing the Bulk of your message Clearly defining where each Macro, or block of Code, stops A Horizontal Scroll Bar for each Code Block that resizes to fit whatever the contents of the Block are Adds a bit of Color to your post @PapaWhiskey11 ***-------------------------*** looks a bit more trimmed in chat Only works with the ***Bold + Italics*** I use 25 ---Dashes--- for my Chat, so that's what I put here @PapaWhiskey11 Carry Capacity has 2 Modifiers &amp; 1 Stat you are not factoring in Size, which is automatically calculated for us when we fill out the Bio Page, I don't know this Attribute Call by name, but here is the Scale for you: For each size below Small: /2 Tiny: ((Str *15) /2) For each size above Medium: *2 Large: ((Str *15) *2) Huge: (((Str *15) *2) *2) Gargantuan: ((((Str *15) *2) *2) *2) etc. Carry Capacity Multiplier (5e Character Sheet, OGL) A Horse pulling a Wagon Goliath's Racial Ability which allows them to be considered a Size Larger These are some of the things applied in the Settings Page of the Character Sheet, and it has a callable ability as well @{carrying_capacity_mod} Current Encumbrance 5e OGL: [[ @{weighttotal} ]] (Weight Total) I find the Weight Total tracker Math to be a little bit unreliable for my needs, because there's a random glitch where it subtracts or adds ~0.000000003 Lbs at random. So I threw together this hotfix: [[(round(@{weighttotal} *100)) /100]] Put simply, it takes 175.24999e, turns it into 17524.999e, rounds it to 17525, then makes it 175.25, like it's supposed to be. And if it decided to go up, it compensates for that too. P. S. See what I mean about the color? :P
@Blue64 2. Thank you. I often overlook simple things.&nbsp; :-P 3. I completely agree. This looks much better. 4. I knew this going in, but neglected to communicate it properly in my original post. Since, I have added an additional attribute to character sheets to account for changes in carrying capacity.
Mixing Tricks: Chat Menu + Character Info Lookup Alternatively, to make things easier on yourself as a GM; you can give each character an Ability Macro for the standard things using the [Chat Menu](!&amp;#13;@{ChatMenu}) trick that Keith posted on the 1st Page for things such as: Languages Weapons Armors Tools Abilities (Darkvision, Wild Shape, Lay of Hands, etc.) and have the Players fill out their portion on their sheet. #Proficiencies Visible to: All Players As Token Action: Show in Macro Bar: No Actions: /w @{selected|character_name} &amp;{template:default} {{name=**@{selected|character_name}'s Proficiencies**}} {{[Languages](! @{selected|Languages})}} {{[Weapons](! @{selected|Weapons})}} {{[Armors](! @{selected|Armors})}} {{[Tools](! @{selected|Tools})}} The other benefits of this would be using formatting tricks, however certain ones are restricted to GM Only: Players &amp; GM /em /ooc /w @{character_name} /w gm GM Only /desc /emas I utilize this trick myself in my campaign, going a Step Further to also figure out what all is recovered during a Short/Long Rest (as well as the Rolling of Hit Dice. Here are a few Examples: /em &amp;{template:traits} {{name=@{character_name}'s Known Languages}} {{description=**Common** **Gnomish** **Undercommon** **Sylvan**}} /desc &amp;{template:traits} {{name=@{character_name}'s Weapon Proficiencies}} {{description=**Daggers** **Darts** **Slings** **Quarterstaffs** **Light Crossbows**}} I personally prefer the /em (&amp; have formatted for such). As you can see, I am using the 5e OGL Sheet's &amp;{template:traits} function, albeit not very extensively (I've been focusing on revamping my Spell Macro Mules as of late, which is a monumental task, however cuts down tremendously on Lag). The list of Fields which the 5e Character Sheet uses are numbered in the order they appear: /em &amp;{template:traits} {{name=1}} {{charname=2}} {{source=3}}} {{description=4}} I am omitting the charname &amp; source fields because I don't like the look of the little Grey Text. If I were to revamp the fields to make it appear slightly more compact and consistent in its sizing, I would do something akin to this: /em &amp;{template:traits} {{name=Known Languages}} {{charname=@{character_name}}} {{description= ...}} Side Note: If you are not using 5e Character Sheet OGL, or not using these as Attributes / Abilities; you might need to rework the provided macros to attach a Prefix, such as @{selected|character_name} or something similar. P. S. The &amp;#13; specifically references to a Line Return (sent to Chat as Shift + Enter), which should also work using a regular Enter (no Shift required), and make things more readable, however some fields don't accept a Line Return at all (Attributes for example) at which point you will want to use the HTML Replacement of &amp;#13; (easily recognized by the format of &amp;# ** ; ). This example was demonstrated in my #Proficiencies Actions Code Block.
Hello guys, just wanted to share a little creation i've cooked up. It's simple but i'm finding it to be handy and above all, the players love it and it helps bring a little bit of extra immersion.&nbsp; My goal was to create an interactive world map with objects and areas that could be clicked on to bring up information on them. Did some searching on the forums and didn't seem there was an easy way to achieve this aside from making each and every place a separate character to shift click on.... But!&nbsp; It it entirely doable and above all pretty simple.&nbsp; The steps taken to achieve the above are as follows.&nbsp; 1 - Create Handout entries for each location containing whatever material you want and accessible to all players. Create a master Handout with the list of all of the location journal names (exactly) including [ ] around the name to create hyperlinks to the individual handouts. To find the link simply save the master handout then right click any one of the desired location names and copy link. (You will need this later) 2 - Create a token image using a clipped portion of the original map. This way you can overlay the token exactly where you want it using the Alt key. Line it up to perfection and it will blend in perfectly with the map (would suggest using the token lock api script to keep it there!) 3 - Name the Token [Name of place](Hyperlink from the journal linking to the handout), also make it controllable to all players and i'd suggest either giving it a condition marker or a health bar to make it more visible. 4 - Create a macro along the lines of&nbsp; /em asked the locals about @{selected|token_name}. The result of this will be that a player may click the desired location on the map - click the macro (Which I have called Gossip/Research) and it will place directly into the chat - "player asked the locals about H elmgart " with the word Helmgart being a direct hyperlink to your chosen handout!&nbsp;
@keithcurtis I'm wondering if it's time to get this off the forums and into an actual wiki? I'm sure people would be willing to contribute and update their tricks, and it would be a lot easier to organize compared to a bunch of posts in a forum.
Not as easy to follow to get emails when somebody posts, though, right? &nbsp;Or encourage / allow discussion of new submissions? Evan said: @keithcurtis I'm wondering if it's time to get this off the forums and into an actual wiki? I'm sure people would be willing to contribute and update their tricks, and it would be a lot easier to organize compared to a bunch of posts in a forum.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, if it goes into the wiki, it becomes a dead document for most users. I update the first post with an index as every new trick comes in. (The last one was added as a "more info" addendum to the map pins entry—I do that if the trick is less stand alone and more of a refinement or addition to an existing entry) This thread used to be pinned, but was collapsed into a directory thread as there were too many pinned threads.

Edited 1558711587
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
This is definitely a stupid trick. Maybe not even a trick. Search the Market for Tokens and Sort by Price, then bookmark the results. Now you can browse free tokens anytime you'd like. It's good for creators using free as bait for unwary adventurers, it's good for your wallet. Here's the URL. Free Tokens Newest Tokens It's a shame you can't sort by newest and free at the same time.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Huh, I didn't even know there were free assets on the marketplace.
Scott C. said: Huh, I didn't even know there were free assets on the marketplace. Same here! &nbsp;So definitely a good tip, thanks!

Edited 1558868025
Yup, the Free Assets have their own category in the Premium section of the Gallery, although the trick is a good way to find the cheapest Content that isn't free as well. Specifically the Free Content is only visible to the GM/Creator as the Menu only appears in GM Mode, not in Player Mode. That being said... Launch Game in Player/GM Mode: if you have the appropriate Permissions, you can bookmark your Campaign's Launch Game Link to force it to launch you in a specific Mode. I have it pinned to my Firefox on my Taskbar (why Microsoft got rid of it I'll never understand). Here is a Sample URL: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/####?desiredrole=gm" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/####?desiredrole=gm</a> That Link won't actually work, because I replaced my Campaign's Identification Number with "####" however you can use the same number listed in the Launch Game Button, just Right Click (or Long Press) on the button &amp; Copy Link Location (or whatever it is called in your browser), now you can Paste it somewhere &amp; grab the Numeric Identifier to insert it into the URL above. For example, if your Identifier Number is 123456789 then your end result will read the following: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/123456789?desiredrole=gm" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/123456789?desiredrole=gm</a> or if you want to login as a Player (useful for a GM who built themselves into a corner and can't load the game to change the screen so they can load the game, but has the Players set on a different Screen. Working in the Splash Page is Bad, M'kay?) you simply change the Suffix from desiredrole=gm to desiredrole=player Also you can Bookmark the Link to use functions like Open in New Tab on it, which can slightly improve performance due to things like not having a Browsing History for the Tab, which frees up low amounts of RAM, as well as making it impossible for Backspace to refresh the page (until it gets that pesky # Suffix, still working on that), which is a common Browser Shortcut that is SUPPOSED to be disabled whilst you're in a Launched Game, however it sometimes becomes enabled again due to cumulative Error Buildup &amp; Garbage Cleanup, standard problems when using such versatile open ended software. It honestly never occurred to me that I should've posted this Trick earlier.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Custom FX effect that fits Sci-Fi games, the Laser. When searching for FX-effects that could be used in sci-fi games, I managed to find The Aaron's laser bolt . With some experimenting I end up with something much closer to a solid bolt effect than the original, and giving . I added both to the Fx Library page with preview images. Custom Fx: Red laser bolt { "angle": -1, "angleRandom": 0, "duration": 0.8, "emissionRate": 60000, "endColour": [250, 50, 50, 0.35], "endColourRandom": [0, 0, 0, 0], "lifeSpan": 1, "lifeSpanRandom": 0, "maxParticles": 3000, "size": 10, "sizeRandom": 0, "speed": 170, "speedRandom": 22, "startColour": [250, 50, 50, 0.35], "startColourRandom": [0, 0, 0, 0.25] }

Edited 1559810996
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Custom success/failure outcome messages Does your system use a success/failure mechanic or are you just sick of the binary nature of using the standard dice expression? Step right up, folks, and witness the magnificent medicinal miracle of custom success/failure outcome messages. Put some ardor in your larder with my energising, moisturising, tantalising, romanticising, surprising, her-prizing, revitalising trick. Since a success/failure roll will output as a numerical value when done as an inline we can use that to create any number of rollable tables that we have the patience to make and put into those tables a single value, ie. your desired outcome. Start with a basic roll: [[ 1d6&gt;5 ]] This will result in a 0 for anything &lt;=4 and a 1 for anything 5+... boring right? Set up two rollable tables, one called 0 and one called 1. In those tables create a single entry with your desired text (or multiple entries along the same theme if it takes your fancy). Then turn your basic expression into a table call: [[ 1t[[[ 1d6&gt;5 ]]] ]] And behold! Of course you may need to roll multiple dice which could result in many successes or abject failure, in the event of a binary world use the kl function to ensure your results are only ever 0 or 1: [[ 1t[[[ {[[6d6&gt;5]],1}kl1 ]]] ]] As you can see, it can get quite complex but ultimately the functionality remains the same. Should you need to measure degrees of success you can build as many tables as you could have successes for (called 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc as needed) and have custom outputs for each eventuality. To make the output prettier you can use all of these in any template . Nesting in queries will be trickier given the need to replace certain characters with html entities if using the kl function but beyond that... enjoy!
I actually figured out how to do a very similar trick to perform Nested Macros as a Free user, very worth looking it up as well, I even mentioned that you can assign a name to the table by giving the 1st entry a Weight of 0 (0/∞ chance for result). I also covered some potential bugs you might encounter with those types of Macros. However, you can fill your 0 with an assortment of "No" responses, then you can get a silly response whenever you get an error..
Bypass Blank Ability Call Math: I was recently setting up an Experience to Next Level Macro, but I found myself having trouble running it with a few Characters, simply because I hadn't yet set up their Sheets with the proper way to do it, causing a silent error, preventing me from sending the result to Chat because I'd called a Blank Ability Score (@{selected|experience|max} specifically). However, with some minor tweaking I figured out how to force it to display properly, thanks in part to a Bug I normally encounter with a Rollable Table. Calling an [[Inline Roll]] inside of another one causes it to strip away anything outside of the Numeric Sum (for example: [[1+[[2+3]]]] = [[1+5]] = 6). Using this knowledge, I created a new Macro to get the current Exp to next Level: [[0 +(@{selected|experience|max})]] Now if it returns Blank, it will simply read [[0+()]]=0 However if it isn't empty, it would read (for example) [[0+(300)]] You'll notice that I have the parentheses in place for unexpected Math. I can't rely upon myself or my Players to not mess up the equation for the Exp, so if they use improperly structured Math, I'm slightly insulated from their mistake. A solid tip for any variable calls that might include Negative Numbers or Math. For example; the Star Wars d20 system uses a linear Exp system, so it might read: [[0+(1000*(1+2+3+4+5))]] As you can see, the call could have been messed up if the math was barely different, for example, if I introduced a second variable, but because of the parentheses I'm capable of adding another Variable if I so desire, which I do for the Current Exp: [[0+(?{Exp Gained|0})+(@{selected|experience})]] You'll notice that I have both set up with parentheses, because I might be like "they got floor(((25*5)+(50*3)+100)/3), buuut, I don't wanna whip out my calculator." So now I don't need to, I can literally just type it into the Query as raw Math, and it then adds it to their current Exp, and sends it to Chat. I'll edit the full Macro into here on Friday in case anyone wants to copy it.

Edited 1560753009
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Storing and Reading Values for Macros using the Turn Tracker Posted this in a thread regarding using macros-only to store and retrieve a value - the only place the macros allow both storage (setting) and retrieval (getting) is to/from the turn tracker.&nbsp; Okay, crazy dumb way to do it, with only macros, but... I abused the turn tracker, GM layer, and used two separate macros...&nbsp; Create a token and associated character sheet and name it whatever. I named mine "half_value" - this stays in the GM layer.&nbsp; Create two macros on the token - to go in the token action bar - as follows:&nbsp; First one I named "Breath-Macro-Start" It puts the 16d6 roll to the turn tracker, on the GM layer, so it shouldn't be visible to the players:&nbsp; /gr 16d6 &amp;{tracker:half_value} Then we create a second macro, "Breath-Macro", which will be the "display" text for the breath weapon:&nbsp; /em Dragon breathes for [[@{tracker|half_value}]] /em Those who make the dexterity throw save take [[floor(@{tracker|half_value}/2)]] The first puts a value in the turn tracker for the invisible GM layer token - you can do this at any time, but it can't be combined with the actual breath/calculation macro because the "read" portion won't work just yet.The second pulls from this value and calculates the half damage rounded down for those that do make their dex save. It's a really clumsy kloodgey horrible way to store a value and requires two steps, but it does semi-automate it...&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sometimes the only tool in your toolbox is a screwdriver. You can use it to pound nails... Thanks Pat.

Edited 1560824147
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Light Crumbs This tip is mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but deserves its own entry. Back before Advanced Fog of War, Light Crumbs were the de facto way of keeping previously explored parts of the dungeon environment visible to the players. Some people (myself included) still use them because they are more versatile than AFoW and less processor intensive. They also more closely match the look and feel of Dynamic Lighting. A Light Crumb is a token whose control is shared by All Players. You can set the light settings however you want, but I tend to keep mine at 60 feet of light, with dim starting at -5 (to keep down the confusion of what is actively being seen). Whenever your players leave an area, drop one of these in a nice central location. They will continue to be able to see the environement around the light crumb. Here is an example of five PCs exploring the ruined fortress of Ulroc the Undying, a lich king. They have previously been in the chamber at right, so I have dropped a light crumb. Here is what the map looks like to the GM: And here is what the player of Torborg the Unbroken (who is using a Driftglobe for light) sees: Individual players will see their immediate environment according to their dynamic lighting and vision. All players will see the area around the light crumb equally. Other reasons to use a Light Crumb : To simulate a scrying spell To simulate something seen by the vision of a familiar (in which case, the token can be modified to match the familiar's vision) To allow a player trapped in an area of darkness (and not having much fun) to see what's going on with the rest of the party. To brighten up an area of dynamic lighting. DL light sources multiply, so if an area is a little too dark, a Light Crumb can make light brighter when overlapping a PC's normal vision. To use in place of AFoW on very large or complex maps. To mark an area for dramatic reasons. Some GMs like to do Cut Scenes. Notes : For #1 and 2 above, the ownership of the light crumb can be adjusted to the affected player. Any piece of art can be made into a light token. A Pro game GM could even use something like Token Mod to automate this. The advantage to linking it to a character sheet is to allow the GM to drag one out of the journal tab quickly. A Pro game GM could use an API script like Token Lock to keep players from accidentally moving the Light Crumb. The GM view above shows some Invisible tokens, visible by their auras. These are&nbsp; Note Tokens &nbsp;and&nbsp; Door Control Tokens . In case anyone doesn't get the reference, " Light Crumb " is a reference to the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel, leaving a trail of bread crumbs. Map is the Lich's Lair, by Heroic Maps, used for demonstration purposes. Tokens are my own art.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
That is pretty cool, I completely forgot I used to do that. I have some massive maps coming up, so this seems like a great idea. To my knowledge, there's an API script that drops crumbs automatically.
Sometimes when I link the light crumb to a character sheet, I let the PCs drop it as they go, via drag and drop from the Journal tab. I especially use this if the characters are physically dropping glow sticks, or casting Light on a rock and throwing it into the next room.&nbsp; One time there was a 'scary' dungeon where something was going behind them picking up the crumbs.&nbsp; As their light radius shrank, it really got into their heads.&nbsp;