Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Advertisement Create a free account

Roll20 Tips and Tricks (Innovative Solutions to Common Problems)

Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
This is not a general help, thread.  To continue your topic, you should start your own thread, so that this thread can remain dedicated to specific finished tips and tricks and refinements of those tips and tricks.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Dan and Unliked Dean, Although I understand your need for assistance, this thread is for the sharing of innovative tricks that people have come up with, not for asking for help. If you post your questions in their own thread, they will be answered.

Edited 1623620747
Inserting a new line into chat  This may have been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on any other thread. To get a new line in the chat you can use %NEWLINE% (including the percent symbols). That will get parsed out and replaced with a new line charter. This can be faster than using a macro. One other benefit is that reusing dice (aka $[[0]]) only works on the same line, so if a new line is copied in then the reusing format will not work. It does however work with adding %NEWLINE%  in the middle. Hopefully, this helps someone! 
@Kyle, that's awesome! I never knew about that, and was able to use it as a delimiter in an API command that normally can't use other forms of line breaks. Only downside is it seems to put one blank line between each line, rather than just separating the list with line breaks.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Inline Roll inside a Tooltip The tooltip -trick can be expanded to include inline rolls : [**Burn**](#" class="showtip" title="Causes damage at start of turn, **Reflex** save of [[3d6+2]] to end condition.) Related In a recent thread , I played around with the %NEWLINE% trick and other things, and is when I discovered this.
Here is a really simple trick to make rotating battle cries. If you are not the GM, you will need to get them to make a rollable table for you with the different battle cries you want to make; for this punny character I had two, one for ice spells and one for fire spells.  Once the table is in place for you, you can embed the roll against the table right into your weapon or spell description like so: When ever you use that attack, the random saying will appear in chat like this:
Thankyou.
Miles
KS Backer
I don't know if this is useful, but I've come up with a macro that allows a DM to do the common rolls that would go behind the screen, such as perception, investigation etc. You select the token and click the macro button. It looks like this. The fomula for it is: &{template:default} {{name=**GM doing secret roll for @{selected|token_name}**}} /w gm &{template:default} {{name= @{selected|token_name}}} &{template:default} {{perception = [[d20+[[@{selected|perception_bonus}]]]]}} &{template:default} {{Investigation= [[d20+[[@{selected|investigation_bonus}]]]]}} &{template:default} {{Insight= [[d20+[[@{selected|Insight_bonus}]]]]}} &{template:default} {{Stealth= [[d20+[[@{selected|Stealth_bonus}]]]]}} 
Thanks for this! Miles said: I don't know if this is useful, but I've come up with a macro that allows a DM to do the common rolls that would go behind the screen, such as perception, investigation etc. You select the token and click the macro button. It looks like this. The fomula for it is: &{template:default} {{name=**GM doing secret roll for @{selected|token_name}**}} /w gm &{template:default} {{name= @{selected|token_name}}} &{template:default} {{perception = [[d20+[[@{selected|perception_bonus}]]]]}} &{template:default} {{Investigation= [[d20+[[@{selected|investigation_bonus}]]]]}} &{template:default} {{Insight= [[d20+[[@{selected|Insight_bonus}]]]]}} &{template:default} {{Stealth= [[d20+[[@{selected|Stealth_bonus}]]]]}}