Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 Tips and Tricks (Innovative Solutions to Common Problems)

The Aaron said: It looks like he’s making use of the Advanced Fog of War to allow tokens to “remember” the roof view of the building from the Map Layer, but Dynamic Lighting lets them see the interior of the building on the Token Layer when it’s visible to them. Since AFoW hides tokens, only the visible parts are shown giving the illusion of peering in the doors and windows. Very clever and the best use of AFoW I’ve seen. :) That's exactly what I did. You explained it better than I did. Just a few issues, namely, accidentally moving your map around when trying to move a token...or having tokens disappear under your map. But, you just 'send to back' the room layout. Or, if a combat happens, you can just put it on the map layer while the combat is happening. Or just be really careful.
Taran said: The Aaron said: It looks like he’s making use of the Advanced Fog of War to allow tokens to “remember” the roof view of the building from the Map Layer, but Dynamic Lighting lets them see the interior of the building on the Token Layer when it’s visible to them. Since AFoW hides tokens, only the visible parts are shown giving the illusion of peering in the doors and windows. Very clever and the best use of AFoW I’ve seen. :) That's exactly what I did. You explained it better than I did. Just a few issues, namely, accidentally moving your map around when trying to move a token...or having tokens disappear under your map. But, you just 'send to back' the room layout. Or, if a combat happens, you can just put it on the map layer while the combat is happening. Or just be really careful. This is why we need a lock button. That being said, I am totally using this trick when I set up my next map. Genius.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There is a  map lock script by the Aaron that should help prevent accidental movement.
keithcurtis said: There is a  map lock script by the Aaron that should help prevent accidental movement. ... ... ... Of course there is. What doesn't he have an API for?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Nickel said: keithcurtis said: There is a  map lock script by the Aaron that should help prevent accidental movement. ... ... ... Of course there is. What doesn't he have an API for? Responding to roll20 questions with links to the script that will answer that question! Not yet anyway...
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I actually started working on a Chrome extension to do that... but what fun would that be? =D

Edited 1526683585
@The Aaron A lot of fun I dare say :D
So, I want to be able to do tool tip type comments to let me compress the amount of space a complicated power takes up.  So I came up with a cute little hack that does it - not perfect, but does the job.  Here is an example of a "power", and the same power with tool tip type comments. This is a power. This power does things. In special circumstance, special rules apply. The special rules are complicated. The special rules only apply sometimes. The special rules require a lot of text. Most of the time you don't care about the special rules. In other circumstances, other rules apply. The other rules also require a lot of text. The other rules are easy to remember, but you might need to refresh your memory. You usually don't need these rules. This is a power. This power does things. In special circumstance, special rules apply ([[1 : The special rules are complicated. The special rules only apply sometimes. The special rules require a lot of text. Most of the time you don't care about the special rules ]]). In other circumstances, other rules apply ([[2 The other rules also require a lot of text. The other rules are easy to remember, but you might need to refresh your memory. You usually don't need these rules.]]) Cheers
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Aranador said: So, I want to be able to do tool tip type comments to let me compress the amount of space a complicated power takes up.  So I came up with a cute little hack that does it - not perfect, but does the job.  Here is an example of a "power", and the same power with tool tip type comments. This is a power. This power does things. In special circumstance, special rules apply ([[1 : The special rules are complicated. The special rules only apply sometimes. The special rules require a lot of text. Most of the time you don't care about the special rules ]]). In other circumstances, other rules apply ([[2 The other rules also require a lot of text. The other rules are easy to remember, but you might need to refresh your memory. You usually don't need these rules.]]) Cheers I like it.  
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's really clever. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Nice

Edited 1526740406
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Holy crow! I never thought of that. Great tip. Kind of like an in-line footnote.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
OldSchoolChris said: I tend to like long names for my pages and don't like that the end of a name gets cut off. Enter <br> Nice one.  Looks like you can even interject a little inline style.  note: I had to enter an extra " < " when starting the line with html. The editor appears to remove it preventing embedded html.   Also, if you rename the page, all previous html gets removed.  Use at your own risk... example; < <b style="color:red;">This is a very long<br>name for a map.</b> .
Is there a way to make a macro where the world map will pop up on screen for a player, rather than bring them all to the world map?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think the only way to do that is if you have a picture of the world map in a handout, then you can show them the handout as normal.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Or drag that player to your world map page

Edited 1527466160
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Quick and Dirty Slide Show and Image Display This in in reference to Garret's question four posts prior. It's not really a macro, but you can keep the world map on any page, sized down to a 1 square token. Select it and press Shift-Z, and it will display for all players, dimming the rest of the board. Depending on the level of detail, you might need to split it up into sections, NE, NW, SE, SW, for example. If you assign this token (or all the tokens) to a dummy character, and set the control of that character to All Players, then any player can select one of the icons and press "Z", to see their own personal enlargement. If you wish to be the only one who controls this you can combine this method with  Quick and Dirty Invisible Token Tracking Using Basic Fog of War to give you a spot to place all of your little preview tokens. Just create an area of the map hidden by basic fog of war and arrange all your preview tokens in that area. Whenever you want to show the players a map, a character portrait or a scene for theatre of the mind play, just select the proper token and press Shift-Z. If you are going to be the only one controlling the display, they don't even need to be assigned to character sheets. You could arrange special groups for individual encounters, and/or have a common set (like the world maps) that you keep on a separate page, ready to copy and paste into any map. The upside to this is that it requires nothing beyond basic functions and can be done at any subscriber level. The downside to this is if you have too many graphics, depending on size, they might make the page slow to load. Season to taste.
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Thx for the trick :) If we make a rollable token for this, is it going to slow the page too?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It shouldn't. I have a huge rollable token, filled with large background scenes for  theater of the mind , and it doesn't seem to load slowly. The method I just linked requires the API to run, but it's really sweet. I use it every game.

Edited 1527637506
I'm sure I'm the 1000th person to discover this, but off the chance I'm not, I figured out you can paste raw HTML into roll20 text fields, as long as you take out all breaklines. In addition, I believe you actually have to paste the text instead of typing it? Or at least it only works when I do it that way. Anyways, it allows you to add some styling elements that you normally wouldn't be able to. For example, my Wizard's bio from my Strahd campaign: Kane's Public Items # Health Potion 1 Fine Garments 3 Death House Spellbook 1 Necromantic Tome 1 Cantrips and Rituals Prestidigitation Minor Illusion Fire Bolt Alarm Identify Prepared Spells Mage Armor Burning Hands Feather Fall Shield Grease Hold Person Dragon Breath Ex 2: ----------------------- Party Inventory ----------------------- Silver Ring Ivory Figure of Succubi Silver Key Dagger Golden Symbol of Serene Doses of Oil x12 Gold Ingot Splint Armor Wand of Magic Missile How to reproduce: &nbsp;Write some HTML. You can add CSS styling through the style="bla: bla;", but you can't do dedicated &lt;style&gt;&lt;/style&gt; sections. It also seems CSS references to outside urls don't work (which is a good thing, because there are nefarious deeds you can commit with that). Regardless, take HTML, remove all \r\n, paste into Roll20 text box. Instead of your text, your interpreted HTML appears. You can try it out by pasting the HTML from this link into a Roll20 box:&nbsp; <a href="https://jsfiddle.net/NateR124/hyo8s646/7/" rel="nofollow">https://jsfiddle.net/NateR124/hyo8s646/7/</a> Again, if I'm late to the party with this, my bad.&nbsp;

Edited 1588462835
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
NOTE: Since the above Trick was posted, it looks like the text editor no longer allows this behavior. That's pretty cool! I knew that some HTML would stick, but I didn't really think about how much or what you could do with it. Very nice. It took me a few tries to realize that the trick works for any field where the text editor is present (GM notes, Bio, Forum Posts, Handouts...) It does not work in character sheet fields or the chat input field.

Edited 1527698361
Gold
Forum Champion
keithcurtis said: That's pretty cool! I knew that some HTML would stick, but I didn't really think about how much or what you could do with it. Very nice. It took me a few tries to realize that the trick works for any field where the text editor is present (GM notes, Bio, Forum Posts, Handouts...) It does not work in character sheet fields or the chat input field. Thanks for testing those. Does it work in the Chat if the chat is sent from the API??&nbsp; Example: MotD.js API Script (Message Of The Day), prints the contents of a Handout into the Chat upon loading. It is able to bring Headline sizes into Chat.&nbsp; If the MotD Handout contained the HTML technique as described above, then would it appear HTML'd in the chat?&nbsp; If so then a "Print Some Rendered HTML To Chat From A Handout" API Script could be created. FWIW, I already got a Snippit (underpublicized API script) created from The Aaron Arcane Scriptomancer which is able to make a Chat into h2 headline size. Message me or ask Aaron if you need that one, a starting point. I would caution to chill on all Text Editor hacks for a minute, because I heard in another thread where the Roll20 Team dev Phil said a new text editor update is coming to all text-editing spots in Roll20 in the near future.
Gold said: keithcurtis said: That's pretty cool! I knew that some HTML would stick, but I didn't really think about how much or what you could do with it. Very nice. It took me a few tries to realize that the trick works for any field where the text editor is present (GM notes, Bio, Forum Posts, Handouts...) It does not work in character sheet fields or the chat input field. Thanks for testing those. Does it work in the Chat if the chat is sent from the API?? Yes, many API scripts use HTML in their output to chat.
A trick I use in my campaign is setting up a sheet that's just called "Torch" with a droppable torch token that provides the exact lighting of a torch. I allow access to it for the whole party so that they can quickly and easily light torches and carry them around. And if they're carrying a torch and it goes out suddenly, all I need to do is delete the token.

Edited 1528239101
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nice one. Related to this is the light crumb : a token with light and shared sight on it that the DM can drop into previously explored areas of a map. Before Advanced Fog of War, this was the most common way to keep "where we have been" visible to players. It is still useful for those without Pro subscriptions, or those who find the overhead of the feature problematical. They are called light crumbs because the DM can drop them at intervals behind the party, Hansel-and-Gretel fashion.
I use a similar method, but because my Sorcerer uses Control Flames, we ruled that the Light gets brighter by doubling the size of the flame, which also increases the Damage Die Size (1, 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, etc), however, each time the flame is enlarged that way, it burns 2x faster, so 600 turns becomes 300, 150, 75, etc. I have it's "Health"(duration) assigned to a Bar on the Default Token, and I can track the Control Flames using not only the Maximum Health, but the Status Effect Icons as well. Without linking it to the Character Sheet's HP Stat; I'm capable of retaining the @{target|1|character_name} calls, without causing problems with the other Tokens dropped by this effect. Usually we completely consume the Torches, but, should we keep one that was previously Lit, I have the players make note of it's Current & Max HP so I can multiply it back out. I don't even need to round() the HP because it's always going to be a whole number when you remove Control Flames, unless you dimmed it, at which point, you simply tell them it sputters out on the turn it starts with less than 1. This method can be used to make a Torch a viable Weapon, as 6 uses of Control Flames makes the Damage Die a 1d10, but takes 2 Casters, the Torch Light would be almost a Quarter Mile Radius, & the Torch wouldn't last very long either, (600, 300(1), 150(2), 149, 74.5(3), 37.25(4), 36.25, 18.125(5), 8.0625(6), 7.0625)&nbsp;7.0625 Turns at most of 1d10 Fire Damage for 2 Casters on a new Torch that someone else lit. It's a well balanced ruling, because if we do that outdoors, we might attract a few Dragons amongst a wide variety of other things, since the Dim Light goes out for almost a full Mile Across (~0.49 Mile Radius), limiting such tactics to deep caves with lots of twists and turns.

Edited 1528305688
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Managing Magic Items To keep straight what magic items the party has, and who has them, I create handouts for each magic item and distribute them accordingly. Each character is in its own folder, which also contains a folder for Magic Items.&nbsp; I place the handouts in those folders when a player claims the item.&nbsp; That way, it isn't accidentally claimed by more than one, and they have an easy reference for their items (and I have an easy way to check who has what capabilities)
The Aaron said: Managing Magic Items To keep straight what magic items the party has, and who has them, I create handouts for each magic item and distribute them accordingly. Each character is in its own folder, which also contains a folder for Magic Items.&nbsp; I place the handouts in those folders when a player claims the item.&nbsp; That way, it isn't accidentally claimed by more than one, and they have an easy reference for their items (and I have an easy way to check who has what capabilities) This is a good idea. Do you do something before determining who has what? Likewise, my group, everyone had a potion of thunder resistance. Do you create multiple copies of that, or do you have a communal spot to place them?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I create the handouts ahead of time into a hierarchy of folders based on their location ( Wizard's Hostel &gt; Quarters &gt; Alchemist ), when they find things, I pull them from there into the root PCs folder and show them to the Party.&nbsp; When they decide who gets it, I drop them into the player's Magic Items folder.&nbsp; Consumable are a place I've been more lax about.&nbsp; I usually don't have much overlap outside of healing potions.&nbsp; I'd likely create duplicate handouts while stocking the various locations. (I might have done that already, really, and not noticed. =D)&nbsp; I tend to like a lot of variety, so I often create different things with similar effects. Certainly, I could make a script to duplicate a handout if it came to that (provided the image was in a User Library, which it often is.).
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A better way IMo of tracking consumables is to use a card deck for them, but you need to set up the images before hand. Then just give players cards equal to the number of consumables they have. (This isn't as great for versions of D&D where you have wands with 50 charges, admittedly.)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The Aaron said: Managing Magic Items To keep straight what magic items the party has, and who has them, I create handouts for each magic item and distribute them accordingly. Each character is in its own folder, which also contains a folder for Magic Items.&nbsp; I place the handouts in those folders when a player claims the item.&nbsp; That way, it isn't accidentally claimed by more than one, and they have an easy reference for their items (and I have an easy way to check who has what capabilities) I like that the GM can quickly see who's got what for balance purposes.&nbsp; Nice tip.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
G G said: A better way IMo of tracking consumables is to use a card deck for them, but you need to set up the images before hand. Then just give players cards equal to the number of consumables they have. (This isn't as great for versions of D&D where you have wands with 50 charges, admittedly.) GG, if you want to write up a little more detail on how you do that (how to display them, give them out, take them away and so forth), I'll link the post in the directory.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
G G said: A better way IMo of tracking consumables is to use a card deck for them, but you need to set up the images before hand. Then just give players cards equal to the number of consumables they have. (This isn't as great for versions of D&D where you have wands with 50 charges, admittedly.) GG, how do you know what a player has in their inventory, then? I can't see an option that lets me examine a given players hand. I can see the card front of the top card in their hand, but if they have four potions, how do I know which ones, two weeks later? I'm using the handout system for magic items, but am leaning towards cards for consumables and other items that have lots of re-use. Also, I've barely touched on card use in the past.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: G G said: A better way IMo of tracking consumables is to use a card deck for them, but you need to set up the images before hand. Then just give players cards equal to the number of consumables they have. (This isn't as great for versions of D&D where you have wands with 50 charges, admittedly.) GG, how do you know what a player has in their inventory, then? I can't see an option that lets me examine a given players hand. I can see the card front of the top card in their hand, but if they have four potions, how do I know which ones, two weeks later? I'm using the handout system for magic items, but am leaning towards cards for consumables and other items that have lots of re-use. Also, I've barely touched on card use in the past. In the deck properties, under In other's hands... you can set whether to show the front or back of the cards, to players or GMs. When someone clicks on the little card icon that appears above your camera window, they will show face up or face down based on that setting. Personally, I never had much need to check what players had. The only consumables they had were given by my (or swapped between players), and when they used them, they were gone, so i didn't need to check up on them. It's a self-policing system. But if you need to check, for purposes of setting encounter balance and so on, that setting allows you to do so easily enough.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's not so much a matter of checking up on my players. I trust their honesty. But I know that Things Go Wrong, and I need a way to verify that I have given them the proper items, particularly if a year of game play goes by between them getting a potion of mind reading, and actually using the darn thing. Especially if I have a Whodunnit coming up. I have messed with all of the visibility settings, and none of them seem to let me see the players hand. I'm posting some screen shots, in case I'm missing something obvious. Note: I'm using a Tarot deck I put together a couple of years ago for testing, before I go through the trouble of creating potion cards. Deck Settings: My view of the hand of player "Camera": "Camera's" view of their own hand:
Gold
Forum Champion
@keithcurtis That ^ looks like something we should sort out in the Bugs & Technical Issues thread. I've used card decks before, and with that bottom-setting "GM sees.. Front Of Cards" you should be able to see what cards your Players have, if you're logged in as GM.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It felt like I should, given what the settings say. I'll make a thread. Thanks.

Edited 1528433136
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I did some testing and it looks like when you dont have the Number of Cards &nbsp;box under In others hands...&nbsp; checked, it doesn't show any cards. I'd say this is definitely a bug. I think it's been around a long time, too, because I vaguely remember discovering it maybe years ago.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I was just coming here to report that I had found the same solution. :D I'll still write up a bug report. Thanks!
Anyone know if there is a macro or something to insert a time that automatically converts for time zone?
Finding Attributes on Characters I don't know if this is a stupid trick or more of a helpful, here's how to find attributes post for later people to find. I never really thought much about it, except I just saw someone ask what is the name of an attribute. The problem is, when you open a character sheet, and go to the Attributes tab and press CTRL+F to search for a value, this actually is the hotkey for the Path Tool in Roll20 (Image 1 note 1). This is problematic, as it would then require scrolling through the entire character sheet's attributes to try and determine the name of a specific attribute. Instead, you can launch the character sheet in its own pop-up window by pressing the button in the upper left hand corner (image 1 note 2). This opens the character sheet in a separate window (image 2) where the hotkey CTRL+F isn't defined by Roll20. Here, you can now much more easily search for values based on some assumptions to name. Even better, if you've defined a value, or a know a value the attribute you are looking for contains, you can search on that as well, as the search in a separate window will look within the contents of each text box field (image 3). Image 1 Image 2 Image 3
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's very helpful, particularly on large sheets.
Gold
Forum Champion
A C. said: Anyone know if there is a macro or something to insert a time that automatically converts for time zone? Enable Chat Timestamps setting might do what you're looking for? It is not a Macro but an automated time label for all text Chats. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/My_Settings#Enable_Chat_Ti" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/My_Settings#Enable_Chat_Ti</a>...

Edited 1563035336
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Invisible Tokens EDIT: Here is a&nbsp; Video &nbsp;by Nick O, which demos this and many of the following tricks Of what use is a token you can't see? Plenty, if you are the GM. In fact, there are so many uses, that this is likely to be the first post in a series, covering the creation of and control of an invisible token. But in brief, a GM can attach actions, notes and other information to an invisible token, as well as use its other properties, such as aura and light. Creating the token How to create an invisible token? First you need a completely transparent png. Here's one you can download. Trust me, it's really invisible. The Aaron has used dark magic to make it appear within the forum: Click on it to see the invisible preview, then right-click on it to download it to your computer. Then upload it to your image library and drag a copy onto your tabletop. Depending on what you want to use it for, you may want to right-click on the tabletop copy and define it as "is graphic" or leave it as a token. It all depends on if you want the little bars, bubbles and gears to appear when you select it. Seeing the Invisible Now finding the darn thing would be problematic to say the least. It's invisible. That's where auras come in. Go ahead and double click on it to bring up the editing interface. Give Aura number one any value, probably of zero, though you can use negative number. if you want it a bit smaller. You can also give it a name at this time, depending on what you want to use it for. You'll be able to see it just fine, but your players won't. Attaching it to a Sheet Eventually, you will probably want to attach this to a sheet, but again, you may want to have different kinds of sheets for different purposes. The absolute biggest advantage to attaching it to a sheet is that you can pull a fresh token from your journal tab whenever you want, without going through all the steps above. For our initial examples, we will be creating an otherwise-empty character sheet called "Info". Attache the token to this character sheet and save it as the default token for the sheet. Your set up screens should look like these: So now you have an invisible token attached to a character sheet no one can use. What do you do with it? Plenty. Read on.

Edited 1563502317
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Invisible Tokens - The Notes Token Edit: User Nick O. has made a video of this tip that you can find here . All right, you have created an&nbsp; invisible token attached to an NPC sheet as outlined above. The first and most common use is the Notes token. There are two ways to use this, the Free Subscriber method, and the API method (requires the GM-Notes script by The Aaron). I'm only going to describe the first method in this post, as it's probably going to be quite long enough as it is.) The Free Subscriber method This way requires no API scripts, and can be used by any user at any level. This trick uses the ability of macros to query token attributes. Because each token is going to be used for a unique note, we are going to reference token attributes, rather than the character attributes on the sheet, which would be shared by all instances of the token. Each of the bubbles on the token can contain text, as well as numbers. This text can be quite complex. Not only can it contain simple text, it can contain macros and even whole roll templates! We'll start off simple. In the first value of bar one, write a note for the GM. Example: "This room contains a trap with a DC 15 Dexterity save or take [[4d6]] bludgeoning damage from a fall" Save your token. Now in chat, paste the following short macro: /w gm @{selected|bar1} This will whisper the contents of bar1 into the chat, for GM eyes only. If you are cutting and pasting text into the bar 1 field, be aware that it will post as one solid paragraph. But it will all be whispered. If you don't want to type in the command every time you want to retrieve the note, open up the Info character sheet (not the token editing box), and click over to the Abilities and Attributes tab. Create a new ability and call it "Note". Paste your code in there and save the ability. Make sure to click the button that says "Show as Token Action": Now, whenever you click the Info token that only you can see, a button will appear on your token actions called "Note" Click it and you should see the following in chat: You can even spruce up the output a bit by editing your Note ability (not the info in bar 1) to use a roll template. The default template is a little bare bones for formatting, but your sheet may contain better options. Here is an example: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Note}} {{@{selected|bar1}}} Now notice that you have 6 fields to play with, the current and max values for each of the three bars. You could create a separate macro ability and button for each one: /w gm @{selected|bar1} /w gm @{selected|bar1|max} /w gm @{selected|bar2} /w gm @{selected|bar2|max} /w gm @{selected|bar3} /w gm @{selected|bar3|max} Each one could contain a different kind of info: Description, Damage, Picture (more on this in a moment) and so forth. But that's an awful lot of buttons to put on your interface. You might prefer that, or you might prefer using a Chat Menu . Go ahead and make the buttons as outlined above, but do not save them as token actions. Instead you only want one button that can call any of the notes. Change your existing notes ability macro to: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Note}} {{[Bar One](~Note1)=[Bar One Max](~Note2)}} {{[Bar Two](~Note3)=[Bar Two Max](~Note4)}} {{[Bar Three](~Note5)=[Bar Three Max](~Note6)}} This will create a roll template with Ability Command Buttons (similar to API Command Buttons): The syntax for an ability command button is [button_name](~ability_name) , where "ability_name" is a character ability on the same sheet. Thus&nbsp; [Bar One](~Note1) , displays a button called "Bar One", which calls the character ability called "Note1". Pressing any one of these will return a whispered roll template from the appropriate field. Note that whenever you enter info into one of the "max" fields, your token will display status bars. If this bugs you, don't use those fields. In any case, they will still be invisible to the players. Also, remember that the default roll template is really sparse on display options. Become familiar with any roll templates provided by your sheet, you should be able to edit this into something prettier. But what if I want to send stuff the players CAN see? Simply reserve one or more of your notes fields as player-friendly by removing the "/w gm" from the front of the ability macro. For instance, if you wanted Bar One Max to show info for the players to read, the code would be: &amp;{template:default} {{name=Note Two}} {{@{selected|bar1|max}}} Whew, this is turning out to be a much longer post than I had envisioned. I'll tackle an API method later, as well as other uses for invisible tokens (here are two from earlier in the thread - Mood Lighting Token and Quick and Dirty Invisible Token Tracking Using Basic Fog of War ). I'll leave you with two more tricks to use with the Info token. Emotes and descriptions You can use a dedicated field to be an emote or a description. For example Bar 2 (referenced by the Note3 character ability above) could contain: This dark chamber measures 10 feet by 10 feet and contains a treasure chest and an orc Change your roll template on the Note ability to read: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Note}} {{[Bar One](~Note1)=[Bar One Max](~Note2)}} {{[ Description ](~Note3)=[Bar Two Max](~Note4)}} {{[Bar Three](~Note5)=[Bar Three Max](~Note6)}} and the Note3 ability to read: /desc @{selected|bar2} which would produce: And lastly Images Often lost in the wealth of features of roll20 macros is the ability to display an image in chat, using the format [image](URL) You can place the URL for any image on the internet and call it up in chat Simply put the URL in Bar 2 Max (character ability Note4). I'm using a character I painted about a dozen year ago, Kurtak the Barbarian. <a href="https://i.imgur.com/mvttQWt.jpg" rel="nofollow">https://i.imgur.com/mvttQWt.jpg</a> Change your Note Chat macro to: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Note}} {{[Bar One](~Note1)=[Bar One Max](~Note2)}} {{[Description](~Note3)=[ Image ](~Note4)}} {{[Bar Three](~Note5)=[Bar Three Max](~Note6)}} Your note4 macro to [image](@{selected|bar2|max}) This will give you: There are many, many more ways to use this info. Just remember that whatever is in those bar fields will come out in chat exactly as if you had typed them.
Holy Crap, Keith!&nbsp; This is awesome.